MIP Fund Accounting does not have a free version. MIP Fund Accounting paid version starts at US$0.01.
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise
QuickBooks Online Advanced
Acumatica Cloud ERP
- Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
- Company size: 201-500 Employees
- Used Daily for 2+ years
Best non-profit/fund accounting system for the $
Great system for non profits, especially for the $
Functionability and flexibility. Import/export capabilities. Takes time to setup and works great, especially for what it costs. Wish they will charge more and tight the issues I mentioned in the modules.
posting of previous periods can happen is the transactions were entered but not posted to a previous period, then when the month end is done, the transactions that were entered, can be posted to previous periods.
Due to/from fund balancing is not mandatory, wish they will force it.
- Industry: Philanthropy
Excellent for non-profits, but it could be even better
The best thing is the multi-dimentional logic built into the product, which enables it to track almost any measure (P&L, Balance Sheet) across various dimensions (company, department, program, grant, restriction type, etc.) This gives you almost total flexibility to manage your organization's finances in any way you want.
My only pet peeves - none of which are deal-breakers - are:
- Lack of drill-down capabilities straight from the reports. Say you run a P&L report and want to know the details behind a certain expense figure. In QuickBooks, you can just double-click on the figure and get a detailed report of the details behind it. In MIP you are forced to run a separate Transactions report. The information can still be obtained; it just takes longer.
- No "Balance Sheet by Month" report. This is another basic report that even Quickbooks has. It's very important when you're analyzing your historical results.
- The documentation is horrible. There are no examples whatsoever. You need to know the system already in order to understand what the manuals mean to say.
- Certain reports should give you the codes along with their names. For example, a Distribution Codes report tells you that code 1125 splits costs 40% to Program 254 and 60% to Program 350. But the report doesn't tell you that code 1125 is for employee "John Do", Program 254 is "Advocacy," and Program 350 is "Shelter". You need to run a separate Chart of Accounts report and then do vlookups. This should be a really easy thing to code into the package.
- Industry: Civic & Social Organization
Great software for mid-market non-profits
The Saas version makes it easy to implement and easy on the IT department (they don't have to do anything). It also makes it easy to access from anywhere. We moved from Blackbaud because their system was so clunky and I couldn't get financials out of it easily. With Abila, it's very easy to run a variety of financials that I can tailor to my needs. It's also very easy to drill down (not from the financial reports) to find the detail I'm looking for with links to supporting documents (i.e. invoices). The A/R, fixed asset and other modules let us keep accounting for everything in one place.
The financial reports are a bit limited in terms of showing groupings of departments without being able to show the total on the same report. It can't do monthly balance sheets on one report. And you can't enter operational/non-financial data for more comprehensive reporting.
The wait time for calling into their help center is still unacceptable (hold times of no less than 30 minutes). They know about this and, instead of fixing it, tell users to use their chat function. While their response time on chat is very fast, I hate having to type out my issues and responses. I just want to talk to a live person.
- Industry: Construction
- Company size: 2-10 Employees
- Used Daily for 1-5 months
Used when it was Sage
When I used this product, I did not work in the accounting department, I worked in the Warranty/Repairs Department of a construction company. However, we used this software to make notes, bill for repairs, find out when a warranty should be issued upon customer being paid in full, and communicate with the accounting department as they were in another building than our department. The invoicing feature was very straight forward and easy to use. Checking if a customer was paid in full was also easy. Making notes was also easy but the categorization of the notes could have been better. It was just a long list with no differentiation or date categorization. You just had to scroll through a giant list of notes to hopefully find what you needed to know, and hopefully someone put a name and a date by the note so you could ask them additional questions if they did not list enough detail. Switching from different screens was a little time consuming. When I used this software, there was no ability to set an action request. I'm sure by now they have changed this and made it possible to set actions or reminders for yourself or others.
Multiple users can be on the program at one time. It is relatively user friendly as long as you have basic computer knowledge.
The time it took to go from one feature to another was frustrating when you are on the phone with a customer and needed to get to several different places quickly, however, that could have been due to the number of users we had on our server at a given time. If an older person, who has limited computer knowledge were to try and use this program, they may need a training course to become comfortable using it.
- Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
- Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
- Used Daily for 2+ years
Highly functional product for a small, medium, or large non profit organization
We have used this product for many years for our business and it has served us very well. I would highly recommend it.
1. Configuration of chart of account. 2. Account code combinations to allow for control of account code usage. 3. Import/Export of data functions - We are able to import our 30,000+ lines of data for payroll entry each 2 weeks. 4. Accounts Payable EFT notifications - When we pay vendors via ACH, we set up the system so a notification is sent to the vendor each time we make a payment and it includes remittance details. 5. Administrative access controls. - Admins have the ability to control everything a user needs to see. 6. Customer support is always helpful
1. Although the import function is a huge plus, sometimes I wish we could speed up a the process for larger entries.