About Plooto

Plooto saves you hours of work by automating Accounts Payable (AP) and Accounts Receivable (AR) workflows. Trusted by thousands of accounting professionals, Plooto transforms AP and AR services, making them more efficient,...

Browse Plooto Reviews

Aislinn K.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 19/04/2019

Entreflow Consulting Group's use of Plooto

Plooto has certainly helped us from a workflow perspective, it's pulling your payables from your Quickbooks or Xero account into Plooto so you can see all the payables that you need to deal with and when they're due. And there's a whole bunch of approval processes you can put in place for internal controls perspective so make things a lot more bulletproof than just manually writing checks and doing e-transfers.

Pros

So you can currently do pre-authorized debit, pre-authorized credit receivables in U.S. dollars and Canadian dollars which is super kick-ass. It's also made some of our clients lives a lot easier if they've got clients in different countries, and it gives their clients flexibility to pay in debit or credit. Also, as far as the amount of time it takes for that cash to clear your bank account; it's faster than Stripe, and on top of that the integration with Quickbooks makes it a lot easier to manage the fees, unlike Stripe.

Cons

We'd love to see more international payments to more countries just for some of our clients that have people they're paying in lots of different places around the world. As well, with the international payments, if a client has a lot of companies that they're paying in the U.S. for instance if you get really costly really quickly. So I'd like to see some bulk discounts for high volume payments to the U.S.

Ron W.

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Plooto review

None of my clients use cheques and rarely any other mode of payment. Plooto could improve the approval process, however.

Pros

Plooto synchronizes with QBO pulling in all unpaid bills. Paying suppliers is done simply by ticking the unpaid items particularly if you have set up the supplier in Plooto with their banking information. If not available an e-transfer can be made or Plooto will solicit this detail from the supplier for you. Collecting outstanding receivables in QBO also works very nicely although some clients are suspicious of the solicitation. USD payments and rapid payments are also available if Plooto is prefunded, otherwise a fee is applied.

Cons

The payment interface with QBO was not well thought out. The first step initiates a payment and a designated approver will then have to approve the payment. Plooto immediately marks the bill as paid in QBO. The approver often delays in approving payment due to cash flows or disagreement. Running a balance sheet or payables listing in QBO is misleading since items have been removed as 'paid'. Putting the bills back into QBO as unpaid means deleting the initiated payment in Plooto and manually deleting the payment if QBO. This often leads to mistakes if there are large volumes and a busy schedule, sometimes resulting in double payments . In spite of the claims by Plooto the balance showing in QBO often become irreconcilable resulting in a write off. Plooto does not import credit amounts resulting in overpayments. The resolution to this by Plooto to this issue is extremely simple. Do not mark 'initiated' payments as 'paid' only 'approved' payments.

Ennio O.

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Essential software for any business

The fees I pay to receive payments from clients have been drastically reduced since switching to Payment Evolution. The PAD feature has improved my cash flow.

Pros

The software is very easy and intuitive to use. No training is necessary. The software links to QBO so there is no need to re-enter invoice details and when the client approves the payment, my A\R is automatically updated. This software is "Payment Processing for Dummies".

Cons

I did not find any negative features yet.

Top Plooto Alternatives

• Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

Plooto is a simple AP and AR tool that also makes it easy to pay across borders.

I mostly used it for AR purposes across the U.S. and Canadian border.

Pros

It's simple, and that point needs to be kept in mind. The interface is intuitive and it syncs with popular accounting programs like QuickBooks Online. The best part of the program (in my opinion) is the AR function that allows you to set up a recurring ACH payment from clients for a flat fee. Depending on the size of your invoice this could save you some money in credit card or bank processing fees. Also, you can do ACH payment from a U.S. bank and deposit the funds in a Canadian bank account. It is a pretty cool feature that puts them above Bill.com. It also doesn't carry the monthly fee of Bill.com.

Cons

It takes way too long to send money across borders. My experience is with the Canadian/U.S. border. It took nearly two weeks from the time that the client authorized the payment until it was deposited in my account. Also, if you are using Plooto for a foreign currency exchange service much better rates can be found elsewhere. If you are using Plooto instead of Bill.com and need all of the permissions or invoice scanning functionality, don't expect it. However, if you want a simple AP and AR tool with an added bonus of being able to make and receive payments across borders, and you aren't time crunched to make or receive a payment, then Plooto is a great inexpensive option.

Jennifer B.

Reviewed on 10/12/2020

My reliable assistant

I have found the software to be reliable and easy to use. But more importantly, I have found the support team to be responsive and genuinely interested in solving problems.

Pros

Plooto is my AR/AP support system. It does the work as expected, when expected and in my business, reliability is a top quality. I couldn't imagine running my business without Plooto on my team.

Cons

I have requested the platform be modified to be more accessible so that my sight impaired customers can benefit from the value Plooto can offer.

Bailey F.

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

The cheapest tool to get your invoices paid.

Pros

I've been using Plooto for a little under a year now and it is incredible, it sync's directly with quickbooks and allows me to get my domestic invoices paid for under a 1$ per transaction!

The flat-rate fee is a game-changer for me, and means I don't have to pay Stripe's 2.9% transaction fee every time.

Cons

Two downsides:

- With QuickBooks recurring transactions, you can't sync a recurring transaction with a recurring receivable in QuickBooks so Plooto marks each recurring transaction as paid, you have to do this manually.

- Payment times can be anywhere from 3 - 7 days which is a little slow. Stripe offers instant payout which is a game changer. If Plooto could also offer instant payout for a flat rate that would make this software god-tier.

Greg K.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Hook and Sinker

Customer service is non-existent. I was told that we could have the old pricing structure for the holding companies, never did it. Falling on death ears. Getting overcharged each month...

Pros

I like the integration with QBO, nice and easy.

Cons

We signed up for this software early on, just like QBO (7-8 years ago). QBO granfathered us in, Plooto just jacked up the prices with no alternatives. Very underhanded and not fair. When I have more time I will be looking at alternatives for just that one reason.

Jacky W.

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Plooto is great for the needs of small businesses

Pros

Plooto is an affordable, easy to use software to manager your payables and receivables. It delivers the checks and balances needed for approval requirements and division of duties/responsibilities and provides built in reminders and notifications on outstanding and completed payments.

Cons

It does not connect well with accounting software such as Quickbooks in that awaiting approvals are indicated as paid when in transit.

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Wow... awesome payment service

Pros

Absolutely love the way Plooto integrates with QuickBooks online. It pulls in the bills to be paid, and you review and send them out... and it allows for multiple signers to approve the payments.

Cons

The issue I like least is that they don't offer a cheque... there are a few.. less than 1% of our bills, that we need a cheque for. I so dislike manual cheques, chasing signers... I need Plooto to send out a cheque on our behalf occassionally.

Sherry T.

Awesome

It is easy to use, we are able to send any sized payment with no problems. We have even sent American funds and it was easy to use and we were charged a minimal surcharge for the convenience. Much easier than a money order

Pros

We did not want to utilize cheques to pay our employees. The bank we deal with would not provide us with any other options. We found Plooto and began utilizing it.

Cons

I know there are features we do not use. The thing I like least is the amount of time it takes to load the Plooto account with funds.

Chris M.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

Honest

Was over all good except for the issues one the setup was a little cumbersome and the length of time to receive payment was way too long

Pros

The collection of data was seamless and the prompting and follow up on invoices was a good option

Cons

The length of time to process payment .This is excessively longer than other applications

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Choosing Plooto

Payment times were way longer than paypal

PayPal Commerce Platform

Reasons for Switching to Plooto

The platform seems to offer some nice options
Geoffrey S.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Simplifying electronic funds

useful to use but the cost became an issue for low eft companies. Worst feature change was from transaction cost to minimum monthly fee.

Pros

Once the vendors are set up, making payments scheduled for the future in a a variety of currencies is easy.

Cons

The pdf of the transaction lacks some details - including unique number and date for payment as oppose to date of set up of payment. Worst feature change was from transaction cost to minimum monthly fee.

Daniel A.

Reviewed on 09/12/2020

Great app to automate your AP and AR processes

Great option to consider, provided that you can live with the restrictions I mentioned

Pros

It is cloud based
Availability of AR function
Ease of set up and use
Sync with QBO and Xero
Custom approval tiers possible
Ability for recipients to easily receive funds

Cons

It takes 3 business days for a payable to be completed (unless you use their "Plooto Instant") - that is longer than how long it takes some other AP companies in Canada
Quirkiness with future-dated payables - if you have a scheduled payable that is to be funded via Plooto Instant at a later date, the payable amount reduces your current Plooto Instant funds

Hugo G.

Reviewed on 10/12/2020

Very effective to manage account payables remotely

It’s been great and they keep improving their capabilities.

Pros

We are virtual bookkeepers and Plooto allows us to manage our clients AP remotely. We schedule bill payments and our clients ta release payments by emails sent by Plooto after we scheduled the payments. It’s fantastic!

Cons

Amount of days to get the money processed and deposited to your suppliers bank account can be long (4-5 days).
Cannot make payment to credit card accounts.

Reviewed on 08/12/2020

Transformative to your cloud accounting workflow

Pros

- integration with Xero and QBO means no need to enter data into accounting and payment systems separately. This saves time and increases accuracy.
- ease of use; the interface is simple and well designed to navigate through.
- reasonably priced compared to others given the feature set.

Cons

- getting clients to accept PADs has been painful. I wish we could have a demo account where we could see the client view, and run through the entire workflow internally to refine the training and communication we provide to clients upfront to make their experience better. We had a couple of clients who just didn't want to use it because they had to provide bank details or have access to their bank card right there and then (most clients were fine though).

Carmen C.

Review on functionality

Overall, it's the software I would recommend to small business owners since it's much cheaper than other products I've used and saves a lot of time for users and can be easily accessible by users from anywhere.

Pros

I like using Plooto, it's much more automated and inexpensive compared to other products that require a bit of manual adjustments. I love how it automatically records into quickbooks on the day of the transaction so there isn't a disrepancy when I look at the AP & AR.

Cons

As an accountant, there is a manual aspect with foreign currencies since Plooto does not want to deal with foreign currencies which is a bit of a headache.

There is a limit for the amount that you can send. However, with an approval system internally it should allow business to send more than 20K.

Lesley H.

Plooto review

Negative: trying to send a home currency to an international bank. If a bill is provided in home currency the funds must be converted and amount entered manually.

Pros

Easy to use. Syncs with QBO nicely and easy to reconcile

Cons

1 international payment used to be included in the $25. If you never used it it was an extra cost. But now I noticed it is an extra 9.99 if it is used and still only 10 regular transactions per month for the same $25

Osiah H.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Limited User

Great product, great service, great people.

Pros

Ease of use.
It has been several years since we have been in a position to use the product, but when we did, it was very economical, the product was great, and the people very friendly, helpful and quick to respond. We used Plooto for a national organization. We needed two signatures to make a payment and Plooto handled this very well, whether the signers were in Ontario or BC.

Cons

Ease of use.
None that I remember.
Haven't used it in several years.

Steve H.
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 19/12/2020

Plooto has made life simpler

Pros

As a registered charity, two signing authorities are required to approve all expenditures which is time consuming in normal times, and difficult during the current pandemic. Plooto eliminates the manual need to generate cheques and get two signatories. Plooto has also eliminated the need for two signatories to visit our bank to get money orders or make wire transfers for international payments.

Cons

Would like to be able to attach invoices to international payments

Lindsey H.

Plooto Review

Overall, I would recommend Plooto to others.

Pros

Ease of making payments
approval process

Cons

Setup was a bit complicated
Customer support is sometimes lacking

Eric A.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great for recurring payments

Plooto helps our cash flow. We utilize it for paying out software vendor and for receiving monthly recurring payments from clients. It keeps our past due AR to a much smaller amount because almost all our clients are now automatic.

Pros

As a business based on recurring monthly payment, Plooto is a no-brainer. This allows us to consistently receive our revenue without having to remind our clients. For a business whose livelihood is all based on cashflow, this is an indispensable tool for insuring it.

Cons

The added $25/month fee was brought on after we began with plooto - so you have to ensure you bring enough revenue in through it to justify this additional cost.

• Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 21/12/2020

Works well but pricing structure changes made me move

Pros

I like the easy straightforward way it allows me to pay contractors. Better than most competitors.

Cons

Changes to pricing structure reduced flexibility for me during slow season so I switched to a different payment system.

Shipra R.

Reviewed on 04/12/2015

Saves me on time and costs. Convenient to use & good support.

Set up was quick and easy. I needed to wait for half a day to confirm my bank account but I understand that it's for security purposes. It was well worth the time. Everything is quick and easy and I love how they have a flat fee - they've recently reduced it down to $1. Where it helps more is how much time it saves me after I switched over from using cheques. We're a cloud based accounting firm and they have a great way to set up multiple accounts that I can manage and get payments approved by my clients. Their customer service is also really good, I actually had a new feature implemented after I brought it up to them. As far as I know, right now they're just in Canada but I can't wait for them to get into the U.S.

Rini V.

Plooto Review

Pros

The AP feature is really convenient for us.

The QB integration is really helpful for us, it makes it easy for us to pull AP and the fact that invoices are attached in the payments are also a plus.

Cons

The fact that it take 4-5 days for the payments to get credited in our vendors account.

Sarah S.

Reviewed on 08/12/2020

EFT service for the modern world

Pros

The platform is very simple and user friendly, and I am able to complete transactions in far fewer steps than using the service offered from my financial institution.

Cons

The lack of Credit Card receivables has us still using other services to offer a complete solution to clients/customers.