About SimplePractice

SimplePractice is a cloud-based practice management system built to make the business side of private practice easier. Our easy-to-use and HIPAA-compliant software helps health and wellness professionals automated their day-to-day...

Browse SimplePractice Reviews

2,457 of 2,457 reviews
Amber S.

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

Administration is Frustrating

Pros

It is simple to use and if you don't have a large number of clients that you see then it works well.

Cons

None of the billing reports include all data points that is necessary for keeping track of payments and insurance reimbursements. For example, one report may have date of service and paid amount, but not the date the payment was made or for which clinician. Another report may have the date of service, client, and clinician, but not the payment amount or date it was paid. This makes it necessary to keep records outside the system which creates a problem for record keeping from a HIPAA standpoint. It's also a problem that we are paying for a system that doesn't cover all our needs.

The second significant problem is that Simple Practice doesn't allow patient medical record numbers. They also have stated they do not intend to include this in future improvements. When you can't use the billing reports because they are incomplete, and then you can't assign a medical record number to a patient, it makes it extremely difficult to follow HIPAA guidelines on record keeping. You can assign a medical record number to a patient, but there is no place to put it so you are unable to do any reports or searches using the number. And, again, you must keep a record of it outside the system.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Amber, thank you for the detailed review! You're right, none of our Reports include the date an insurance payment was made, but the Appointment Status Report includes the date of service, amount owed, amount insurance paid, amount client paid and the clinician's name. Here's more on the Appointment Status Report: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]! Although you can't assign a medical record number in the system, each client has a unique numerical code in the URL. You can use these numbers, or the entire URL to distinguish your clients from one another outside the system. - Ruth from SimplePractice

Replied 11/06/2021
Mark senyo A.

Reviewed on 07/07/2021

simplifies all processes to a level that allows us to focus on actual client care

Simple practice was introduced to me and my [SENSITIVE CONTENT] during a medical conference we attended during the early stages of setting up our private practice. Thankfully, it came at a time when we were still developing our core processes and workflows, so it was able to shape our systems right from the very beginning.

Pros

Simple Practice is very easy to learn and get comfortable using. All the various features easily link up to others that follow or proceed in the logical process of service delivery, making product navigation extremely user friendly and smooth.

Cons

The period allowed for the free trial is a bit short and does not allow potential buyers enough time to test all the core elements before having to make a decision on whether to purchase or not.

OnCall Health

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Simple practice had a more comprehensive set of features and more applicable uses for the stage we were in as a new practice

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

The recommendations we received from our network of associates and administrators were in favor of Simple Practice
Lakisha D.

Reviewed on 21/09/2021

Great EMR for my Speech Therapy practice

Pros

Everything is in one place. I love being able to chart session notes, submit billing, schedule appointments, store online intake forms, send appointment reminders and obtain confirmation. It’s exactly what I need to run an efficient practice while wearing many hats.

Cons

The only CON is not being able to pick up the phone and call someone for customer service. Unfortunately everything is through email/text. My problem was resolved fairly quickly, but I still like hearing the “human voice” on the other end of the screen.

TheraPlatform and ClinicSource

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

What was offered (system capabilities) and price.

Top SimplePractice Alternatives

Alicia K.

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

One Place for all of Your Electronic Medical Record Needs

I am a pediatric occupational therapist and have been very happy with Simple Practice. I would recommend it to anyone. I have also used this software as a client and it's very client-friendly. The passwordless login makes it easy to login, I like the appointment reminders by text and email. I have used the telehealth feature as a client, but not as a therapist. It doesn't work well for evaluations because of the way documents are formatted, so I write those and my plan of care forms/goals on a separate document outside of SP.

Pros

You can bill insurance with the click of a button. I love being able to make my own forms so documentation is more efficient, and the paperless intake process is smooth. Much of it is very customizable to the needs of your practice. The company is very receptive to feedback from users and is constantly upgrading and adding features.

Cons

There was a learning curve to figure it out and I'm still learning about all of the reports they can run. I don't like the online scheduling feature very much, but that's partly because I'm used to using Acuity Scheduling which has many more features. I used the online scheduler briefly and wasn't thrilled that only new clients could use the online booking feature from the website; current clients have to login to the portal to schedule. I decided to just stick with Acuity because it allows me to get information from clients at the time of their booking and I can use it to schedule groups, which is a big part of my practice.

HelloNote, WebPT and Fusion

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

It has everything in one place.
David M.

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

The name of the software says it all.

Overall, I find Simple Practice to be just that, simple. It has all manner of features that I do not employ nor does it force me to jump through hoops I don't require. I might well use some of the bells and whistles at some point but the ease of doing just what I need to do in minimal time is it's major selling point for my practice.

Pros

The EHR is simple, uncomplicated, and lets me get my work documented without fuss or having to click through various pages to record progress notes. Also, the names in the calendar appear as first, and last, as opposed to some gibberish assigned to each patient that I am forced to remember as my former EHR software required.

Cons

The setting of the appointment time I find to be clunky. It defaults to the current time, which means I have to scroll to the correct time when I make an appointment for the patient. Yes, a minor issue but I wish there was some other way to ascribe an appointment time. I frequently return appointment requests in the evening. having the calendar time default to a PM time is a minor issue but I'm not fond of it. A minor quibble, but I need to be careful or I schedule someone for 8:00 PM when it should have been a morning appointment. I'll get used to it I am sure.

Erin F.

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

A step in the right direction for our group practice.

So far, very excited, very pleased with your customer service and overall happy that we made the jump from three separate software over to one. Please see the comments above, in regard to your calendar which -- is the main criticism for your software. I would be happy to follow up on my ideas via email.

The overall cost for simple practice technically isn't saving us any money, but it is saving lots of time.

Pros

I love how FAST and transparent the claims billing and processing experience is. It takes just moments to file and send information out to insurance companies. Whereas we used to have to manually work back and forth from various accounts when using our previous EHR program.

I love the reporting features. We can cut out having to manually track information in excel sheets because Simple Practice makes it available to us at any time. This helps us to track claims, understand our financials and to keep on target with our clients' copays and claims.

The dropdown menus featured, to pull up information on a specific clinician, and pull up their practice information, clients and more is SUCH a great feature for managing our group practice.

Did I mention, that sending claims is easier than ever? - this ease alone is what has me and my team jumping for joy.

Cons

I don't like your calendar. This is where things seem to go awry for myself and our clinicians. I think that you guys would benefit by updating and creating a much more user-friendly experience with more control and detail from the calendar.

Before making the change to Simple Practice, our office utilized and paid for Acuity Scheduling. While we totally understand that things would naturally be different from one program to the other, we were, and continue to be baffled and very confused with your calendar programming. Especially using it as a group practice.

The calendar is very unorganized, there really is no detail and it technically takes us 2-3 minutes longer to schedule new clients because you do not offer a drop-down box or mini-calendar to select from in order to see available times. I also cannot stand, the way that when you click in an availble slot in the day view, it defaults to the very minute -- 60 minute sessions need to begin on the hour, and when we are selecting the date, we are having to correct it from " 5:15 pm" to "5:00 pm".

Managing therapists schedules is also a pain. I would like to see an overhaul to your calendar that features new availability designation, new appointment selection, and one that works based on the times and hours that each therapist states for their own schedule. I want to see more control int he calendar.

End request: Create a much better, user friendly calendar!

Michelle H.

Reviewed on 06/08/2019

Super Easy for Solo Practitioners. Need Some Work for Group Practice Use.

In spite of the cons noted above (and I could have written more), Simple Practice is VERY good software and would actually kill the game so to speak if they fixed some of the flaws noted above as well as improving customer service. While I do like that why have not outsourced customer service to a foreign country like many others, the lack of phone support can be rather irritating. No one wants to send emails back and forth to resolve issues,

Pros

Simple Practice really is super easy for the average user. It has a modern look and feel. In less than 60 seconds (52 seconds to be exact) you and create a new client, schedule and send intake forms to be electronically signed. Overall the system is pretty intuitive. I love that you can create your own document and forms. The template creator is fairly easy. I also like that clients can "request" an appointment, which I can approve or deny. Finally, the calendar has very robust features (even better than 'many' of the scheduling apps). Also this comment isnt about the software per se but about the company-- I truly appreciate the they encourage feedback and suggestions from their subscribers and take action on 'some' of the suggestions.

Cons

Simple Practice takes a really long time to get enrollments with Medicaid & Medicare. They blame CMS but even CMS says it doesn't take months to get approved to bill though a clearinghouse (Yes, I know SP is not a clearinghouse). Secondary billing with is an absolutely nightmare. You literally have to do it manually--as in printing and mailing. I'm not really sure why but every single client I have with secondary insurance billing section is messed up. Allocating payments appropriately is a mystery and there is a 'special' way you have to do it which Ive never been able to grasp. The end result is no client with secondary insurance has a zero balance. Treatment Plans do not have electronic signatures, which is a great disappointment. While there is a template builder, it's not intended for Treatment Plans only Progress Notes. Technically you can create an ITP of your own liking but in order to see your ITP goals/objectives to write your notes, you MUST use one of their templates (creating double work). Simple Practice is now being marketed for use for Group Practices. I was disappointed to learn that if you have Interns or Intermediate/Pre-Licensed Clinicians while you can review and sign their notes, there is not notification of any kind. This mean the Intern/Pre-Licensed Clinicians would need to email the Supervisor which client notes to read either daily or weekly--which is simply ridiculous.

Response from SimplePractice

Michelle, thank you for your comprehensive review. We're glad to support your practice with our best-in-class practice management platform. We're constantly working on improving our platform, as you've pointed out in our review, and are looking forward to improving our functionality around secondary claims, documentation, and group practices. Thanks for being our customer over the years. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied 13/08/2019
William S.

Reviewed on 14/04/2017

Simple Practice - there is truth in the name

I have tested out Simple Practice for our group practice and we plan on transitioning to it. It's rare to find a company so well balanced in its direction. The user interface design is well thought out and makes doing otherwise complex procedures simple and straightforward. The documentation and user support is something you would expect from a much larger and more resourced entity. The product development has been very focused and well planned as features are thoughtfully implemented. Some of their competitors seem to decide which features to develop at random.

Simple Practice first popped on my radar in 2012 and they had a beautiful interface, a simple iphone app, but they couldn't do much other than notes and calendaring. Oh, how things have changed. They now take payment, and even do autopay on weekly clients. They simply and beautifully execute therapy notes, have a client portal, process insurance claims, have appointment reminders, treatment plans, calendar sync, and you can have clients signup and schedule directly through simple practice. You can even push them assessments to fill out to add to their records.

I didn't like how their product shows client credit's and debit's. I will say that it seems like there is a more intuitive way to do this for reconciling accounts. When you first look at it, it will confuse you and I am sure it is something they spend time on with each new customer. This surprises me that they have kept it this way since everything else is so intuitive.

The only area I can't speak to is what their reporting looks like. Theranest has a feature I like in their reporting as it shows you by clinician and referral source, who has sent you the most business the stick rate, and things like this. Personally, I would love to be able to see more granular data to know what each clinician is best with matching intakes with treatment outcomes and being able to see each clinician's number of clients who are active and their insurance to private pay ratios. If I were to extend my wishlist, I would like some limited CRM features as well to help with new client inquiries.

All of that said, Simple Practice is the Tesla of therapist EMR's. They are pioneering the field and they know it. I recommend them to all clinicians.

Pros

Features, product speed of development, user interface design, ease of implementation.

Cons

reporting, cost if you have a group, the only credit card company support is Stripe's API and they have a minimum of per month volume before they will lower their fee's.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi William, we're grateful that you're part of our community! It's great to hear your story of revisiting SimplePractice after we added more features. We're working hard every day to make improvements so that both solo and group practitioners are able to use our product easily and efficiently.

Replied 04/05/2017
Kelly P.

Reviewed on 22/01/2020

Easy to use, still room to improve

Overall, I really like Simple Practice and will continue to use it. I hope they continue to take input from it's users and make adjustments.

Pros

Generally, everything is user friendly. It is secure and relatively easy for myself and my clients to use. It is organized and aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

Adding forms is challenging. Despite having many templates and the ability to create documents, you are unable to add them to a chart. You need to create them, fill them out, print them, and then scan them back into the chart. There MUST be an easier way.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

TherapyNotes was more expensive, but now with the increase they are the same. You may lose points potential customers due to this.

Cathy L.

Reviewed on 03/03/2018

Tried a few, decided to keep SimplePractice

I can now easily log my notes without taking up space in my office (I converted from paper files to SP); I can input my notes much quicker; text reminders for clients!! No more no-call-no-shows!!

Pros

SP is easy to use and quite intuitive. The customer service agents are simply amazing - always very kind and unlike many from other companies, they actually take the time to read and write personalized replies instead of sending out a cookie-cutter template. I've asked more questions than I care to remember and every single time, I have received a precise answer with clear, detailed explanations. That, in my opinion, makes it all worth it. It has pretty much all the features I need without going over-the-top with bells and whistles, adding unnecessary bloat like another major service provider.

Cons

There are only two things which come to mind, and they aren't major cons. The first is the inability to fully personalize text messages in another language - we can modify the text reminder; however, the date that is sent with the message remains in english (so in a french message, the date still appears in english - day of the week, month, date, time). Not a major issue, but it would be great to offer an option to convert the whole message into a given language. Second is the ability to add an add-on service for an appointment. For example, I offer animal-assisted therapy to some of my clients. I would love to be able to track how many hours my animals are putting in; as of now, there is no way to add and add-on service, I have to actually enter my co-therapist as a client and "book" him an appointment for his hours to appear somewhere in my logs. Again, not a major issue, it would simply be nice to be able to add additional services to a session.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Cathy,

I'm so happy to hear SimplePractice has felt intuitive and that your communication with customer service has been clear and precise. If you're interested, feel free to check out our product roadmap blog to keep up with what we're working on: https://tinyurl.com/y8hklj7b.

Best,
Niki

Replied 07/04/2018
Janny C.

Reviewed on 05/03/2020

It really is simple

So far I really love everything simple practice offers. I love the daily reminders of my schedule. I love that everything is HIPPA compliant. I love how it is user friendly. I love the built in templates and the ease of being able to create any new electronic forms for clients to review and/or fill out. I love that I can also charge clients through the system and that it automatically transfers to my account. Overall this is an amazing system.

Pros

I love that they already have templates in this system that you can easily modify and make your own. It is very user friendly. Like any electronic software there is always a learning curve but I found this software to be straightforward and easy to navigate and figure out.

Cons

I have had some issues with the telehealth video sessions. I am not sure if this is related to the software or my wifi connection. I do not have many telehealth clients but so far I have had 2 sessions via video sessions and both times I had technical issues with being able to hear my clients or losing connection. However, I am not sure if this is software related or simply wifi issues. Also, being new into private practice it is pretty costly to have this software but I made the choice to have it before I started building a case load so I wouldn't have to deal with transitioning later on. I am glad I did that but I wish maybe they offered new practices some type of introductory rate knowing that many practices don't have a full case load right away.

TheraNest

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

It was much more easier for me to navigate and understand.
Melissa K.

Reviewed on 04/12/2014

Life changing, no exaggeration!

There are many programs out there designed to help keep therapists organized, but this is hands down the best one. For years I have actually avoided buying any of the similar products, because after doing a trial, I found it just easier to use my own system. Other products to me have seemed clunky, confusing, or outdated. As my practice grows, however, keeping track of things on my own had really become too cumbersome. So thank goodness for Simple Practice, it came into my life at just the right moment! It is streamlined, intuitive, and user-friendly. Whenever I have encountered a question, there are quick and easy ways to get the question answered. The site includes a whole blog that has thoughtful answers, written in plain-language. Or if you have a question you can easily email and a person will get right back to you with an answer. I imagine you can also call, though I haven't needed to do that since everything has gone really smoothly!

Here are the things I really like:
-Clients like it. They like the text or email reminder messages and they like the fact that I can store their credit card info, so no more forgetting co-pays of having to fumble with the wallet or the credit card reader. I just bill all my co-pays at the end of the day, and I'm all set. It's also saved time and money by not having to chase people for missed co-pays.
-Easy to enter new patient info, or use the client portal so the patient's can self-enter basic data, and sign forms ahead of time
-Helps me remember which notes are done or not
-Keeps track of my schedule with the calendar feature that is synced up with the also super user-friendly Simple Practice app
-I can scan in hand-written notes right into the patient's chart so everything is paperless

I honestly can't think of any negatives or ways they could improve this product. I haven't started billing insurance companies via Simple Practice yet, so I can't speak to that process. It unfortunately takes awhile for Simple Practice to link with insurance, so if they could speed that up, it would be great, I'm just not sure there is much they can do about that since it's partially up to the insurance company.

Other than that, I would summarize by saying that Simple Practice is saving me time, money and I feel much less stressed because I know everything is organized.

Response from SimplePractice

Wow! Thanks so much for that thorough and enthusiastic review!!!!

We're so glad to have you as part of our community and are looking forward to being your partner for a long time.

We're working hard to always improve SimplePractice and hope you let us know what we can do to make our product better and better.

Thanks again,

Howard

Replied 04/12/2014
Deidra L.

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

It gets pretty costly

Overall my experience with Simple Practice is positive, its just getting too expensive.

Pros

I like the fact that we no longer have to have paper files, ease of use overall and some of the features like appointment reminders, the ability to create and add your own documents. I also like the different templates already contained in the system. I have tried 3 other systems and will admit Simple Practice is my favorite.

Cons

Unfortunately it looks like i'm going to have to switch systems because it is just getting to costly. There appears to be no cap on price. My practice is growing and so is my bill with Simple practice. I don't like that I have to pay for administrators and interns. There are no hands on tutorial options only videos. I also would like the Wiley feature to be more user friendly and make better use of this resource. It is somewhat confusing as it is currently.

Erica D.

Reviewed on 19/09/2019

True to the name, my practice is simplified!

I like the ease of signing in and having all of my client information at my fingertips on a secure site. Everything is stored into one place and I can send new clients their intake paperwork within minutes- something that used to take time to print individually. It has been very helpful for my growing business!

Pros

Quick and response customer service, ease of sending clients paperwork and appointment reminders, saves time, user friendly, templates are customizable.

Cons

The location of the forms and documents.

TheraNest and TherapyNotes

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I preferred the SP layout and features.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

I tried a couple others and liked the layout of simple practice best. All the features I need are there and easy to locate.

Response from SimplePractice

Erica, thank you for your positive review! We're proud to support the transformative work of Healing Path Wellness. Welcome to our Community - thank you for choosing SimplePractice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied 08/10/2019
Dara H.

Reviewed on 11/01/2019

Just the EHR I've been looking for

Pros

I've put off using an EHR far too long, fearing that it would be too difficult to change the way I had already been doing things for over ten years in my practice. I gave the free trial a go, and was pleasantly surprised by how intuitive it was to use. I am excited to now have the ease of sending paperwork to clients electronically, as well as the benefit on the environment from all of the trees I am saving by doing so. I also needed to find a HIPPA compliant teletherapy option and found Simple Practice's portal very easy to use, as have my clients.

Cons

I work with many persons who are gender questioning, transgender, and nonbinary. There is a lot of language in the template paperwork that I needed to change so as to help them feel seen and included. I think in one part of the form, which cannot be changed, are gender options that are so limiting that I made specific mention of it in my greetings message to the client, so they know that this is not an oversight on my part but is on the part of the creators of the software. I've had colleagues mention that they have been trying for years to get Simple Practice to change this and sadly we have yet to see this inclusive step being taken.

Response from SimplePractice

Dara, we¿re proud to support the Bohemian Sanctuary, and glad that SimplePractice is the solution you¿ve been looking for. Thanks for your feedback regarding the gender options on our Demographic Form. Currently, these are limited to what insurances will accept to ensure that you get paid. However, we¿re always working on making SimplePractice even better for all of the diverse practices that leverage our platform.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied 25/01/2019
Tina H.

Reviewed on 17/09/2020

Would Recommend Simple Practice

Overall, I really like that I can do so much paperless admin tasks with SP.

Pros

The features that are most impactful are the paperless Intake process, the online billing, and the HIPPA-compliant storage of all PHI and billing information. It was fairly easy to learn to use and integrate into my business.

Cons

The Telehealth features are minimal and scarce. We really need better features to be able to do things that other platforms offer--writing board, chat within telehealth sessions, sharing sound from the client's screen when screen sharing, easier screen sharing for the client, better group video sessions.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

I had a colleague who was willing to help guide me through the process. And her positive feedback about SP was effective/sold me.
Jenna F.

Reviewed on 07/07/2016

Fantastic! Totally worth every penny

My experience has been very positive as this software is catered to meet the needs of my private practice as a counselor. It addresses many of the components of running a practice that therapists find daunting. Just for the sheer support in these areas, this software system is worth it.

Pros

The customer support / help support is a clear stand out. No need to feel intimidated about learning because they offer layers of support- classes, video webinars, articles, daily q & a and I suppose I could call- haven't had the need. Another stand out for me is how it is designed with a private practice therapist in mind, which is fantastic not to have a lot of 'guess work' or having to adjust something else to work for me. Their professionalism in upholding our ethical and legal standards puts me at ease and would be reason alone to give simple practice a look. Also...NO PAPER! That's just fantastic.

Cons

There is a learning curve (depending on your comfort level with technology, it could be larger than others). That's the biggest con. Fortunately there is a one month free trial (they don't even ask for your credit card information during that time) and during that month there are plenty of supports to help teach you the system and have time to practice with it. There are a few more minor adjustments that can't be edited because of the system, but no big deal at all. It's fantastic.

Response from SimplePractice

So happy to hear this Jenna! We're really glad that SimplePractice works for you. We're here to make things simple!

Replied 15/07/2016
Brenda W.

Reviewed on 24/06/2021

Great for small practices

Overall, this software was great when we were first starting out, but as our practice grew we needed a more robust system.

Pros

-This software is super simple to use.
-I love being able to have a live-chat (instant messaging) feature with the rest of the staff

Cons

There are limitations with the software when it comes to using it with larger practices.
-The reports do not seem to reflect "what is in the bank" but rather what "should be." This makes it hard to do payroll based on insurance payments.
-Simple Practice does not allow for client portal partial payments or bill splitting.

CareCloud

Cost
Melissa T.

Reviewed on 04/08/2016

So glad I have Simple Practice!

I've been in private practice for 3 years now and Simple Practice is the third EMR that I have tried. I am so happy I did! I had heard of Simple Practice for awhile and for some reason thought it was too expensive so I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered it was about the same as I had been paying with the others. The cost structure is very reasonable and I appreciate the different levels offered depending on need. I can't say enough about how user friendly this software is which makes all the difference! As most clinicians can attest to documentation is the least favorite part our jobs and Simple Practice has made that process much easier for me. Previous software seemed to involved multiple steps to enter a client's info or write a progress note. I've found Simple Practice to be as easy as using my iphone or ipad. Everything I need is all right there in a way that makes sense to the user. I don't have to search for the every day actions I use such as progress notes, scheduling, billing, etc. It's all right there in a format and presentation that's easy to find and even easier to use. I also love the flexibility of the app which has been a great addition. I'm able to access client's contact information whenever I need without jeopardizing HIPAA and confidentiality. Overall, this is the best software I've found out there and it has made the paperwork and bookkeeping end of my practice as easy as ever. I couldn't be more grateful!

Pros

The ease in using the software. Everything is simple to enter and simple to keep on top of. I especially love the to do list it creates so I know exactly who needs to be billed, what progress notes need to be written, etc.

Cons

About half my practice is children so I would like to see the client info section reflect more of those details pertaining to children - i.e. ability to differentiate between contact numbers (Mom or Dad), basic information such a school name and grade.

Mary T.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 04/12/2017

The absolute worst customer service. They don't listen, aren't helpful. WON'T recommend.

None. I was unable to set it up without a lot of aggravation and never got to the point of being able to use it due to a family emergency.

Pros

It has everything I would need. Well thought out and seemingly efficient. Difficult to get started and if you need help there is ZERO phone service.

Cons

Difficult to figure out without a walk through with a rep. They won't speak to you on the phone nor will they refer you to someone willing to HELP. I had a family emergency right after I paid for a full year in advance. I was unable to use the software and the weeks and months were melting away. I tried immediately to get someone to help me but they would not. Finally after 8 months, lots of Tweets, someone paid attention and helped me out but not without a huge amount of stress and aggravation added to an already stressful family illness. I want to use the software when I am better able but I can't support a company that cannot think outside the box! They won't even allow me to speak to someone in charge of customer service. It appears that if a customer has something of different concern, they can't handle helping the customer come to a satisfactory solution. I kept getting the same answer over and over and over and was NOT being heard. (the rep was ). Extremely frustrating and only minimal apparent concern for what trouble I had to advocate for myself. Not everything comes in the form of "cut and dried" run of the mill stuff. My situation was unique and they didn't seem to care one bit.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Mary - Thank you for your time. We're very sorry to hear about your SimplePractice experience thus far. I see that our Customer Success Director was working directly with you on this and I hope that we as a group can come to a resolution. Please feel free to respond to him directly if that is not the case.

Replied 15/12/2017
Carrie B.

Reviewed on 13/03/2019

Solid platform with much development still needed

Pros

I like how everything is integrated in one place, streamlining my work. It's pretty user friendly and intuitive to use. I particularly like being able to customize forms and upload pictures of insurance cards and IDs straight from my phone to a client's file. The chat feature for support is helpful to get questions answered quickly.

Cons

The software is still very much in development. There are major gaps in the functionality at this point. I frequently have questions about how to do something that I need to do for my practice, and the answer is usually that it is not possible yet. I also cannot get an answer about when those functions will be available. Having projected timelines for upgrades would be helpful.

It would also be helpful if we could more easily speak with a support rep, rather than only using chat or email. And I often find that the support reps, who are very polite and helpful, do not have enough knowledge of mental healthcare (e.g. charting requirements, consents, diagnostic modifiers, etc.) to be able to help effectively.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Carrie, thank you for your thoughtful review. SimplePractice is proud to offer a full-featured platform for everything your private practice needs - but we're not stopping there. We're constantly developing new features, and you can see our progress on our Roadmap at https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap. I would like to share that, while our Success team is fully trained in HIPAA and using SimplePractice, we're not able to advise on clinical matters as these often differ state-to-state. However, we're standing by to help. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist as you get up and running with SimplePractice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied 13/06/2019
Marisa B.

Reviewed on 14/12/2019

Great for private practice

Pros

Simple Practice was easy to set up and use. I like being able to access some features from mobile and directly integrate with telehealth, which works very well. Billing is fairly straightforward and I prefer Stripe fees to what I was previously using (Square). The client portal is user-friendly and allows me to sustain a paperless office. I do not bill insurance so I cannot comment on those integrations.

Cons

Simple Practice lacks some functionality for prescribers, including e-prescribing, ordering labs, easy documenting of medications and some medical information. There are easy enough workarounds, but some additions geared towards prescribers would make this product ideal. One other complaint is not being able to screen clients before making an appointment.

Brittany M.

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

The BEST practice software!

My overall experience with SimplePractice is very positive! I highly recommend it! SimplePractice is consistently making updates and improvements which is great to keep up with its usability.

Pros

SimplePractice is so easy to use and the customer service is wonderful & quick! The self-scheduling features & programming in my availability makes it super easy to run my business and decreases the workload of keeping track of my schedule.

Cons

I had some trouble figuring out how to use SimplePractice to bill an insurance company. I'm still exploring how to do that. Also, when creating appointments, there currently isn't a feature where I can add several members of a family - the way it's currently set up makes it so I have to schedule completely separate appointments for each family member, then copy and paste the progress note into each of their files. I hope this will be a feature that changes due to lots of therapists conducting family sessions already.

Jeffrey P.

Reviewed on 29/03/2018

I wish I started using SimplePractice at the very beginning...Great product...

Lower cost than what I was doing before with a separate insurance billing product, online scheduler, and credit card processing feature. Eventually, this will help me go almost completely paperless.

Pros

Integrated credit card processing, Client portal for HIPPA compliant communication, safe payments, secure messaging, and online scheduling. I love that you can scan business documents for storage, and that I now have an EHR that integrates with payments, scheduling, insurance, and note taking. Great feature that you can send intakes securely for clients to complete before they come to the office.

Cons

I wish it integrated better with Quickbooks.

I wish the insurance features were faster (drop down box is very slow for choosing insurance providers) and the list is not as complete as I hoped

I'd prefer an online landing page for online scheduling so clients could schedule without going through the client portal if they chose to do so

Online schedule should have a feature for infinite recurring appointments just for ease sake.

Key con to me so far: They need phone support. Especially upon set up, it would just be nice to make a quick call and get unstuck rather than having to set up a video 1:1 or read through their support materials. For the price of the product, though, I see why this might be a challenge to provide.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for leaving us a review! It's great to hear that you've been benefitting from the credit card processing, client portal, secure messaging and scheduling features in SimplePractice. We are constantly working to become the best platform possible. To keep up with what we're working on please check out our product roadmap blog: https://tinyurl.com/y8hklj7b.

Best,
Niki

Replied 04/04/2018
Kerima F.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 24/03/2019

There are some annoying issues that they don't seem to get on top of.

I am happy with what the program provides me, despite these above annoyances. Those are just poor programming and hopefully will be eliminated over time.

Pros

Love it. It keeps me on track, easy to bill out of, as I do my own.

Cons

There spell check does not include common therapy words, and it is disorienting to have a correct spelling highlighted in red.

The pull down menus work very poorly. When I type an H, 3-5 clients whose names don't start with H show up before the one I am looking for, needing scrolling. There is no rhyme or reason to this, despite what the rep wrote. In a slot that is always occupied by the same person he shows up 7th in the scroll down. E-mailing with them is frustrating, and this kind of issues seems to fall by the wayside.

Response from SimplePractice

Kerima, thanks for your thoughtful review. Did you know that SimplePractice doesn't have native spell check? The spell check you're working with is actually in your browser. You can add common therapy words to most browser spell check features to aid your documentation. I'd love to dig deeper into the issue you're describing with your search - feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected] Looking forward to hearing from you. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied 14/06/2019