About Adaptive Planning

Workday Adaptive Planning, founded in 2003, provides a web-based system for budgeting, forecasting and reporting. The solution is suitable for a wide variety of company sizes. Delivered over the Web in a software-as-a-service...

Browse Adaptive Planning Reviews

Brad M.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 27/09/2016

Outstanding Planning and Reporting Platform

We plan at a very granular level, and Adaptive's formulas and overall approach to modeling has made this tool a pleasure to work with. Like any new tool, it took our team a little bit of time (~3 months) of getting used to it, but this is simply a tool we can't live without now.

In addition to the feature set, the customer support is outstanding. Very responsive to questions and highly knowledgeable on a variety of topics.

Pros

Feature set is very strong.
Customer support is among the best in the industry. Highly responsive to detailed technical questions.

Cons

Like any new platform, it took our team a few months after go-live to really utilize the power of the tool, but now it simply a resource that we can't live without.

Michael S.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 01/05/2017

Awesome product for a great value. Takes budgeting and forecasting to a new level.

There are several benefits from using this software. The biggest benefit is that once your initial model is built you get stability compared to doing your forecast in spreadsheets. When we used spreadsheets most of our time was spent making sure formulas were correct and that there were no bust in the model. With Adaptive, you have confidence that once you test your formulas you can add/takeaway/and modify data and your calculations will work. The other benefit is that if you have a champion and insist that new data be loaded as soon as possible you always have a good/latest view of what the company expects. By doing this forecasting becomes built into your processes and not the annual/quarterly drag that the organization dislikes. Information is kept in a nice concise format that is easy to read.

Pros

The product if very adaptable. We recently went through a sell process where we were sold by a public company to a private equity firm and back to a public company within a two and half year period. Adaptive was very key to providing the analysis and financial information required for the sell process. While with the private equity firm we changed to a fiscal year but they required us to report both fiscal and calendar year numbers. We also had to push the various EBITDA adjustments back into the financial statements for comparative purposes. I also like the customer service and the fact that Adaptive pushes out a couple of major releases each year to add new functionality requested by the user community.

Krystyna L.

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

Adaptive Insights impresses even more than expected

Pros

Our employees were used to working with Excel spreadsheets. We considered such an approach not completely effective, so our choice turned next to Adaptive Insights. There are no restrictions on the size of the documents. This program is synchronized with other applications, including such important for us solutions like SAP and Oracle. We like the high accuracy of the reports we can create on the tool’s base. It is also important that all data are in one place and don’t require much effort for their processing and analysis. Adaptive Insights is a multifunctional tool with a robust and well-thought-out suite of features. This application allows our employees to track finances, budgets, sales, resources, and labor contribution. With its help, our company’s managers are also able to collect divergent data, make various kinds of reports, build models, and make optimal business decisions.

Cons

It would be better if Adaptive Insights had an opportunity to filter for specific months while working with spreadsheets. This lack of functionality makes our work a bit confusing sometimes. We wouldn’t mind adding more advanced features to the planning tools as well. We believe it would behoove this product if it had several tutorial videos on how to use it to the full extent. Even though we find this tool user-friendly, it doesn’t mean at all that it is so for every company.

Top Adaptive Planning Alternatives

Chris S.

Reviewed on 01/08/2016

Flexible and Comprehensive Planning and Reporting

I've been using Adaptive Planning for 4 years and at 2 employers. The software has not only improved the accuracy and accountability of our budgeting, forecasting and reporting, but has saved thousands of hours of time.

Pros

The software is flexible. It can be developed and managed internally or you can work with external experts if needed. I like that the cloud software is continuously improving and developing to meet the needs of its customers. There are new releases every six months that improve its functionality based on customer needs and requests. And more importantly, all updates are done on the cloud so that there is no need for the IT department to get involved.

Cons

There aren't many things specific to the software that I don't like. I would say that the most difficult part about using this software is managing the requests from management so that it doesn't compromise the value of the software.

Ben G.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 13/09/2016

Great software to project us into the next level of strategic finance.

Overall, Adaptive Insights has been a great software to work with. AI has increased the FP&A departments productivity during month end close and review by multiple days.

Pros

- The software is a cloud based, so you will have access anywhere you have the internet.
- No more “this worksheet is locked by another user” message.
- Imports and Exports to/from excel seamlessly…for those of you that like to work out of excel.
- Dashboard capabilities for more real time department metrics and visibility to spend.
- Rolling forecasting capabilities that allow us as a company to focus more on the future and less on the past.
- Instant Company budget/forecast results.
- Audit trails…never have to worry who, what, or when someone changed a number you budgeted or forecasted. All changes will be tracked.
- Company-wide visibility to Personnel and Capex planning that drives the cost of benefits, IT equipment, and supplies.

Cons

- Software enhancements are only every 4 to 5 months.
- Levels (Organization Departments) can be restricting to planning across multiple departments
- Noting variances in a report can be tricky at times.

Carrie C.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 26/10/2016

Improved Reporting

Our Budgeting and Forecast process has significantly improved and can be identified through the additional value added to each of our departments through customized, timely, accurate and flexible reporting. Additionally our Financial Analysts (system end users) have increased their capacity to provide more in-depth timely analysis to the organization and their support department especially with the drill down capabilities and customizing reports.

Pros

The System is easy to use, developer friendly and customizable

Cons

Reporting functionality within the system could be enhanced. We currently use templates created in excel to house formating or additional formulas that are not available in Adaptive but are requried for our reporting.

Gino C.

Reviewed on 05/10/2016

Time Saver

Although it takes some dedicated time and experience to set this product up I would say it is the top time saving piece of software I have ever used. I was able to setup our company plan with limited assistance from Adaptive. The assistance I did receive was top notch and always available with short advance notice. I opted to use a Adaptive consultant and deal with her on the phone.
The product has been nothing but a time saver. It pays for itself many times over on a monthly basis. Being a startup I am constantly running new spins and versions of the budget and there is no way I could run as many scenarios using just excel. Days worth of work are reduced to hours. Like I said, it pays for itself many times over. I currently run a static budget and forecast on a monthly basis. I also run a one year rolling forecast that I will easily roll into my 2017 budget at year end. I would not hesitate to recommend this product to any of my fellow finance professionals.

Pros

Easy to run scenarios. Copy the forecast and make changes as necessary. Reporting is a breeze and no problems to do all kinds of variance analysis.

Cons

It's complicated to get up and running. You need a dedicated resource to take the time to learn the product. I would say my biggest issue is the weak help manuals.

Andrew R.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Strong Tool that Keeps Improving

Pros

I like that adaptive has continued to innovate and improve their product over time. The basic plan option is solid for a SMB, though there are some individual bells and whistles that I would like it to have like Office Connect that require a more expensive membership

Cons

Learning to speak the adaptive "language" is a big barrier to entry from an employee perspective, we become afraid to change the model for fear of breaking it so we aren't leveraging all we have available to us.

Georgeta P.

Reviewed on 24/02/2017

flow and transparency for FP&A

I've been using Adaptive since 2011, and I am fully satisfied with the Adaptive suit. Every year they are improving and developing the suit of services and product. I might be biased but the ease of use of the platform is really what's important for me. The flow and transparency of the data is equally important. I don't think I could be as good as I am when it comes to FP&A and reporting if it wasn't for using Adaptive.

Pros

everything- ease of use

Cons

none

Michael L.

Reviewed on 13/02/2018

Planning and forecasting made easy.

Pros

The ease of creating forecast versions provides a quick way to develop multiple scenarios during the forecasting process.

Cons

The performance, in terms of responsiveness, in rendering of the sheets and reports, is quite slow. Also, setting up model account calculations, is not as easy.

Andrew K.

Reviewed on 12/10/2014

My experience with Adaptive

Adaptive is a great business platform for budgeting, collaboration, and report generation. In my company it is my job to provide managers with useful tools to help with different aspects of business unique to their functional area.

The pros of Adaptive:
1) Brings departments together by providing one platform to easily manage and control budgets.
2) Allows for a quicker budgeting process.
3) Different access levels allow top managers to control what different departments can see.
4) Can store years and years of data all of which can be easily accessed.
5) Can be accessed from anywhere in the world with internet connection.
6) Reports can easily be created. Depending on the complexity and type of report, reports can be customized and suited to the needs of the user. Some report types are interactive, different scenarios/results can be presented depending on the user's selections.

The cons of Adaptive:
1) It takes a little long to get used to.
2) Creating formulas and rolling them out can be very challenging. (A lot of trial and error)
3) Reading through the tutorials can be time consuming. I wish they had more practice videos.

Overall, Adaptive is an awesome business platform. Once you get the hang of it you really begin to enjoy it. It allows you to create so much, the amount of reports that can be generated is endless. Furthermore, you can easily upload data and track budgets. This is a great tool for managers especially those with large budgets and variable costs.

Sandra B.
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 12/04/2017

Flexible, User Friendly Software

Our Finance team switched to Adaptive Planning from another software that was very inflexible and required both outside consultants and house IT staff on a regular basis. Adaptive Planning was a very smooth implementation. It allows great flexibility in your planning models without the heavy reliance on consultants and IT. The ad hoc reporting and additional benefit of Office Connect have been very valuable in our planning processes.

Pros

Flexible, cloud based, user friendly

Flavio S.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 23/02/2017

Good product ignore you are a serious user.

Extremely flexible planning and reporting tool. Requires good knowledgeable about (I) the business, (ii) company's finance and accounting practices and (iii) ERP and ancillary systems.

Todd H.

Reviewed on 27/02/2019

Decent software tool, but could use greater reporting capabilities.

Pros

Easy to navigate and use. Process for uploading and downloading are nice and simple.

Cons

Very basic reporting features, lacks more robust reporting capabilities. Would be nice if they added a screen freeze feature to lock the initial view when scrolling.

Amy G.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 04/10/2016

Very Flexible

We love the many options and flexibility that we have with Adaptive. Everyone that we have worked with has been awesome!

Pros

Flexibility

Tim B.

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

I love using Adaptive compared to the other systems I've used

It is a great system and the company is putting a lot of work into the product.

Pros

I like how it is easy to use and that they thought of the things that we really need to do our job. It looks good and works.

Cons

They have an excel add in you can use and I love it. I allows you to use excel to pull data from the system and make your own reports. However, there are sometimes glitches so that's annoying.

Jose V.

Reviewed on 30/11/2016

If you are not using Adaptive Planning, you should be.

We are in the process of completing our rollout and implementation of Adaptive Planning within the organization and the feedback has been great. Not only has the FP&A team been able to streamline their work, they have been empowered to offer more in terms of custom requests and shorter lead times.

Pros

The ease of use and ability to work from any device.

Cons

The reports need work and better support for custom formulas.

Rose S.

Reviewed on 16/03/2015

Adaptive Insights Great Product

Pros

The customer support that I have received from Adaptive Insights is amazing. I have never had this level of support from another company. There is great follow up and resolution to any questions or concerns.

Cons

It works better with Chrome or Firefox Browsers. Performance is faster using these browsers.

• Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 19/09/2016

Great product!

It has simplified our work quite a bit. We are no longer dependent on our previous excel-based reporting tools. Creating and modifying reports have become a very process.

Pros

Ease of implementation and use.

Cons

Still developing some modules, need time to improve

Aaron G.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 20/04/2015

My AI Experience

Pros

The product is easy to use and easy to adapt to new demands. As we continue to learn more about how we can use this product, the work I do compiling data has been decreasing and the time I can spend actually analyzing the data increases!

Cons

I would like the reporting of this product to be more robust. It can take a long time to build a report the way you would like it to look and the options for formatting it quickly are limited.

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Robust and good for forecasting

Forecasting, FP&A, and more.

Pros

Easy to compare different reports to actuals/budgeted/forecasted versions, drill into details, and keep track of other elements of financial planning & analysis. Audit trail shows you who has done what. Functionality within sheets is very useful.

Cons

It's pretty complex, especially when you have to figure out how an employee who arrived before you set it up.

Scott K.

Reviewed on 10/05/2016

Great Cloud based budgeting/forecasting/analytics solution

We're about 2 months into our implementation of Adaptive Insights, and I can see that it is a great solution. We've been able to connect to multiple databases and bring all our data together under one house- which is huge for us. We're setting up driver-based forecast models, and the is great. Our forecast models were in Excel before, and they were getting to the point that they were becoming unsustainable with the growth we've been experiencing. Adaptive appears to be a great solution for creating scalability in our models. It allows multiple users to access their individual portions of the company's forecast and to make their own inputs. This software is a must for growing companies who want to keep their forecasting and modelling in line with their growth.

Shivakshi C.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

Adaptive Insights

There is nothing else out there that is even close to Adaptive Insights. Perfect solution for planning, consolidations, reporting and analysis. Nobody else is even close to it. Appropriate for multiple users, in multiple locations and security is of major concern as the security provided by them is amazing.

Pros

User Friendly.
Amazing user interface.
Simple and very poewrful.
Amazing customer support.
Data Integration.

Cons

Cost is high.

Maria belén G.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 17/06/2016

Business Intelligence Planning

We started using excel for our budgeting processes and felt that much time was being spent in formulating instead of analyzing. With Adaptive we have become a driver based company and the excecutives can have all the information at hand any where. We are able to do different scenarios in minutes and has saved some much of our time.

Pros

It´s adaptability

Cons

The formulas can sometimes be difficult to create. You really need to know the language

Kevin B.

Reviewed on 20/09/2014

incredible solution from a world class company

It would be hard to come up with many cons. Adaptive has delivered on all promises. It's done exactly what we wanted from the beginning.where we found flaws were generally in our model, not the software and we've been able to correct most flaws with little disruption to our end users.

Their upgrade/deployment process is smooth and we'll communicated. Their customer service is one of the best I've ever worked with.They respond within hours, not days.They follow up to make sure you've gotten what you need.Their experts are truly that - they know their product and have many ways of solving your issues.

Would I recommend adaptive to my colleague? Without hesitation.