About Canopy

Canopy is a cloud-based practice management and tax resolution platform for accounting firms, tax professionals, tax attorneys, and enrolled agents. It provides an integrated suite with various tools to help enhance efficiency...

Browse Canopy Reviews

105 of 141,750 reviews
Julie S.

Reviewed on 22/05/2021

Loving our canopy portal

I love notes and I love that the emails populate, it keeps everyone in my office well informed

Pros

My clients keep telling me how easy canopy is to use! We love it! The files are fabulous, templates are easy. Can’t wait to have a moment to explore other functions we are not currently using

Cons

Some of the task templates are too detailed and my inbox gets loaded with emails I don’t want or need

Mark B.

Reviewed on 09/03/2018

Outstanding software that keeps getting better and better!

It's an excellent client database and portal.

Pros

Cool features, outstanding customer service, constantly updating to make it better. I love that I can upload files easily to a secure client portal and we don't have to email files anymore. Clients love that they have 24/7 access to their files. We have saved on paper and toner costs. Having all our client information in one place is incredibly valuable. Engagements keep you focused on what you need to do and makes things less likely to fall through the cracks. The integration with gmail makes tracking/finding email conversations easy! Absolutely can't imagine not having this software.

Cons

There are only a few minor issues that I know Canopy will fix as they learn from their customers. I can make suggestions and I know that they will address these requests in future versions of the software:
1. Mobile Access is not perfect. An app would be great. Some screens just don't show up on my iPhone.
2. Tasks take way too long to create. I think it could be easier to create tasks.
3. Inability to print notes
4. Search engine is limited. It would be better to be able to search for partial names. Currently you need to really know the name of the person you are looking for. I have a business client who I can't search for the name of his business or DBA.

Antonietta C.

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

We all love the program! It has kept us better organized! It's so easy to use!

Canopy is easy and secure program to use to communicate with our clients. The uploading, tasks and engagement feature is used on a daily base in our office. I also, like the fact that we upload files in Canopy and make them visible or non-visible to our clients.

Pros

It's safe and secure. Clients are able to upload documents and the documents are saved their portal which as a result, keeps us better organized. The visible and not visible feature for files is a great feature because they are certain documents that the client doesn't need to see but are important for internal use. The task feature keeps us organized and we know exactly the status of each client. We are still learning Canopy capabilities and features.

Cons

Be able to move files from one client portal to another. We numerous clients whom keep uploading to the wrong portal because they have access to their individual and entity. I spend a lot of time downloading each file, saving it to me desktop and then dragging it over to the proper client portal. Not being able to delete a task from the client portal. If two people are in the same client portal and someone deletes and uploads a document we noticed that the client portal gets all discombobulated. Being able to print from the engagement feature conversations or files that were either uploaded from the client.

Top Canopy Alternatives

Elisabeth G.

Reviewed on 30/05/2018

I have had an outstanding experience with Canopy!

Client satisfaction, reliable (and hopefully secure!) file-sharing. Potential to have a more efficient tax practice. I feel like i didn't have time to dive in to all feature fully during tax season, but hope to spend some time this Fall tinkering with the software.

Pros

Helping me organize the data and correspondence of 200+ tax clients. I got hooked by the fact that it keeps copies of all my email correspondence. But the biggest surprise was all the positive feedback I received from my clients about how easy it was to use, especially the file uploading. I had a previous product that was a complete nightmare. Around 40% of the clients who tried using it were unable to. Working on taxes brings up a lot of anxiety in people so anything I can do to make the experience smoother goes a long way. Having a reliable, user-friendly product to offer my clients feels GREAT!

Cons

Annual subscription fee that will likely increase as the product is continually enhanced. It's also a little hard to organize the accounts of married couples. They file a joint return so in many respects only need one account. But I like to correspond with both spouses and I haven't figured out a way to do that within one account. If I made one spouse's account inactive, it also deactivates their email address so I'm unable to correspond with them.

Mckinley J.

Reviewed on 05/04/2018

I have had a good experience using Canopy. The website functionality has been very good.

Pros

I like the ability to produce documents that are ready to deliver to clients or the IRS once I have completed the required forms. Additionally, I like the ability to make changes without having to reproduce documents. The link that can be sent directly to clients for data input has been very helpful. Having tax transcripts that are readily accessible on my desktop is a very important feature.

Cons

I think that the software should include a feature that will allow you download transcripts overnight. I think the software would be enhanced if some of the additional features that follow are included in the software: Case Diagnostics, Fee Calculator, Searchable IRS Manual and IRS Contact List. It would be very helpful if other users within the same office could utilize Canopy at some add on rate or multiple user environment. Some of the tax resolution practitioners are part of small office environments. It would be good to have a product that could better fit the needs of the smaller office environments. T

John J.

Reviewed on 24/05/2018

Canopy has simplified the resolution process saving me time.

This product is necessary for me on a daily basis. I benefit from many of it's features.

Pros

The three areas that I use the most are the 433A, OIC and quick access to transcripts. The combination of these three functions allows me to quickly evaluate a clients resolution options. This also creates for me an overview allowing me to better focus on what I need to so that I can more quickly get a handle on the problem and address it with both the IRS and the client.

Cons

When I first learned about Canopy my understanding was that they were specializing in "tax resolution" and concentrating on that area. It appears that they are now broadening their market. I understand why they would want to do this but often newer businesses start to expand or move away from what they did best and water down or slow developing their original product. I fear that Canopy is doing just that and there original product will suffer.

Lauren J.

Reviewed on 07/08/2019

Great Product! Such a Time Saver!

Love it! I would recommend it to anyone who regularly deals with IRS transcripts! Has saved us so much time!

Pros

Pulling IRS transcripts using this software is a dream. When you get transcripts through the IRS website you have to pull them one at a time, and if they aren't ready yet you have to repeat this process everyday. With Canopy, you enter the taxpayer's information and then all you have to do to refresh the information is click the refresh button. So much easier to use! Plus you can setup multiple client at one time and let the software run in the background until it has checked them all with the IRS, meanwhile you can move on to other work.

Cons

It would be easier if you didn't have to reestablish the link to the IRS everyday, and wait for the IRS code to come through. However, for security reason I understand why this is necessary.

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

IRS transcripts at the push of a button!!

Canopy is always upgrading and improving their software based on constant user feedback.

Pros

I love how easy it is to setup a new client in this software. Once set up, it's one click to get IRS transcripts downloaded for my review. This saves me at least an hour each week in comparison to the software I used to use.

Cons

There's really nothing to dislike about this software. It does what it says it will do and it saves me time.

Phillipa W.

Reviewed on 26/02/2019

WFS - Canopy

I have found that a great deal of my clients have enjoyed the Canopy app. I have gotten feedback that it is good to have their return on the go. I find that it has saved me some time.

Pros

I have a great deal of clientele that cannot come to my office, because of their location or timing. So Ihae use the e-signature and i has helped me considerably to get the signatures that I need.

Cons

When I set up Canopy on my side, I set folders. I think that it would be great that the client gets it as a folder as well so that they do not have to scroll through all the forms that are sent. I find that I have to label each form by date. It would be better If I can send them a file labeled by year.

George D.

Reviewed on 30/04/2018

Software really helped to simplify the tax season for me.

Establishment of client database, transfer of files/documents through the portal and the integrated Stripe support for collecting credit card payments.

Pros

Ability to have a real database of clients. Ability to collect fees through Stripe integration with Canopy. Great to send out single email communications. Most importantly is the client portal, that was incredible and saved a huge amount of time for document transfer.

Cons

Mass mail feature did not work well. I chose to integrate with Google and most of my messages were instantly rejected by Google. I had to go to Mail Chimp. Integration with that platform might be nice.

Jennifer M.

Reviewed on 24/03/2020

Canopy Program Is it worth the money

Canopy was a great program, I just don't believe it was worth the money they were asking by year two, so as a business we got rid of it.

Pros

Canopy was very easy to implement and use, it saved alot of time and space as far as filing and was very convenient for a secure upload area for clients.

Cons

I felt it was unnecessary for the program to create files for spouses just because you put them in the profile for the original client. I didn't like that you couldn't change the profile up to fit different types of clients. Also the cost kept going up each year.

Veronica M.

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

Excellent

Pros

Like how I can do everything in one software - all the forms, poas, etc in one engagement. Love the software.

Cons

The task system is still clunky. I understand the update, but I really like the simplicity in the orignal task system.

Jennifer V.

Reviewed on 11/06/2018

Our office LOVES Canopy!!! We love how user friendly it is and they have great customer...

Canopy helped us streamline our process and allows our entire team to be in the know.

Pros

I love that it's so user friendly and the customer service is great! I love that they are always contacting us about new ideas to integrate into the program and they have implemented them.

Cons

The software is kind of pricey. As a small office, the cost is pricey, but we love the software so we pay it.

Arnez H.

Reviewed on 03/03/2018

Time saver

Pros

I use this product to communicate with clients, organize files, manage time. Great for client to go to their portal and access files without having to communicate with my company

Cons

The mobile compatibility not efficient. No app. Mobile and iPod web is not ease to use. Needs to be more convenient for my clients and myself on the go.

Terry H.

Reviewed on 24/03/2018

very helpful in pulling information for client support

The ability to extract and retain information related to client tax information for multiple years in one concise manner.

Pros

Convenience of extracting info from IRS website in a concise manner and the ability to see a lot of information as once

Cons

very expensive for the value received and seems limited in its functionality for the price. It appears that it is designed to offer more practice management functionality but it seems once I paid for it, the support to train how to use it disappeared. No phone calls, just pop up messages. Very lazy marketing strategy.

Tiffany B.

Reviewed on 30/05/2018

So far so good.

Pros

Canopy has helped our office become much more organized. We are absolutely loving the portal for our clients too.

Cons

I wish there were a way to track updates on tasks and a way for us to do our billing through canopy.

• Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 11/01/2018

EASY TO USE, BUT LACKS SOME FEATURES LISTED BELOW

Pros

MODERN DESIGN, EASY-TO-USE, CLOUD-BASED SOFTWARE, BRANDING, TEMPLATE LETTERS FOR GENERIC IRS RESPONSE LETTERS, GREAT WEBSITE AND LAYOUT

Cons

THERE WERE A FEW TOO MANY SALESMAN PUSHING THE PRODUCT TOO AGGRESSIVELY BEFORE I HAD TIME TO DECIDE IF IT WAS SOMETHING I WANT. I PURCHASED, BUT REALIZED I ULTIMATELY PREFERRED THE "SUGGESTED PRICING OF SERVICES" FEATURE FROM PITBULL TAX OVER CANOPY.

Sharon C.

Reviewed on 07/02/2017

New Customer

I am exceptionally pleased with my use of Canopy software. It has made completing, reviewing, and updating offer in compromises for the IRS easier. I also love the look of the reports produced by the tranacript delivery system.

Pros

Easy to use.

Victoria D.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

price is great for transcripts

Pros

very good reports make things very easy to read and to interpret. this software saves a lot of work

Cons

very slow in producing reports from transcripts have called about it but no results. does not come back to say caf is not on file yet

Emery S.

Reviewed on 29/12/2018

Product not yet ready for production.

I was told I could cancel within 30 days and get back my initial deposit. I sent a written cancellation in 20 days and told I would get a phone call. No one to speak to in customer service and I just received a charge for next months service. I think its a real product but smells like a scam.
I just want to cancel and get refunded.

Pros

I was able to get 1 client report that was well organized. 5 other client attempts failed.

Cons

The program was not consistent in processing transcript requests. Better to do it for free through the IRS with less hassle.

Response from Canopy

Hello Emery- We were able to check into your account and it looks like you were refunded. Have you been able to pull any transcripts with our Chrome extension? That should have fixed any bugs you were experiencing. Since Transcripts is free you do still have access to that feature.

Replied 23/01/2019
Gene W.

Reviewed on 14/01/2019

Unreliable

I will never deal with them again.

Pros

When the product worked the transcript feature was useful. However, it was down as often as it worked.

Cons

The company said I could try the product and cancel for up to 6 months. They now are refusing to cancel.

Response from Canopy

Hi Gene- Sorry to hear that you have not been happy with your Canopy subscription. We typically have a period of only a month to cancel your subscription, and after that you are locked in for a year.
Here is a link to our terms and conditions https://www.canopytax.com/tos/.
We would love to get on a call with you to help you use Canopy to its fullest while you still have your subscription. Please email or call your account manager to set up a training. All training is free and comes with your subscription.

Replied 23/01/2019
Michael R.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 27/06/2018

Canopy has saved me time in ease of use in obtaining IRS transcripts.

Time savings.

Pros

Ability to save my clients power of attorney information so I can just refresh and pull a new transcript.

Cons

Sometimes it's not so user friendly. It's not always easy to perform some functions. I'll add a contact and the transcript pull might not work right away and they don't appear in my client list under transcripts.

Dan M.

Reviewed on 14/02/2018

Terrible. Sold a product that was not nearly as functional as they purported

Pros

Left after 30 days. The sales team is efficient. Not so much the implementation team after the contract is signed.

Cons

They held me to a annual subscription because I missed the trial period deadline due to their scheduling mix ups regarding training. Feels like a trap to get a full year from me. Email me for a personal review

Response from Canopy Tax

Hi Dan! We are sorry to hear about your negative experience. All of our customers agree to an annual subscription by signing a terms of service agreement at the time of purchase. It looks like you have been corresponding with our customer success team. They are happy to continue to work with you so that you can get the most out of your subscription.

Replied 22/02/2018
Kianga S.
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 04/01/2020

Canopy Review

It was good

Pros

I like the flexibility of being able to work with this software from everywhere and the options to pull info from other systems into it

Cons

It was hard to grasp how to send files securely using this software

Dustin J.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 02/01/2020

Customer Service is Terribly - This Company is too new to meet deadlines

Purchased a license in order to use their Tax Prep software (NOT the tax management software - ability to track clients and manage the funnel of taxes). Was told everything would be ready in time, and I ensured they knew I was only buying now because the Tax Prep software was going to finally be ready. (They told me 4 different dates for when this would be ready as I've been working with their sales for 2 years, waiting for them to get things together). Jumped in and decided to make them our company for our tax prep business, and everything went wrong. Salesperson we worked with had quit, implementation team was slow, and then I got off the phone with a support person who casually mentioned that the tax software was tossed out for this year. We had no clue, completely SOL as we have 4 weeks until tax season started and had to rush to find another company. All done without an apology, just "oh that's funny, I thought everyone knew that we couldn't get the software ready", even though we were assured that it would be - for a quick sale I imagine. Lots of back and forth with different support team members. We had been paying for two months and getting everything switched to their platform - which took an enormous amount of time and effort from our people, just to be told they won't have it ready for us and we will not receive a refund. I told the support manager before about this review being posted and was told I "might get a call back" for help.

Pros

The software is cloud based and therefore easy to access.

Cons

The company consistantly made promises that they were unable to uphold. Pushbacks on product releases that we desperately needed, and no refund for their mistakes. Not the company you want to go with when you need something dependable. They're a tax company which makes it even more absurd that they mess around with deadlines.