About Canopy Software

Canopy is a cloud-based practice management and tax resolution platform for accounting firms, tax professionals, tax attorneys, and enrolled agents. It provides an integrated suite with various tools to help enhance efficiency...

Browse Canopy Software Reviews

Brielle B.

Reviewed on 01/06/2021

Canopy is the Admin on our team!

we have been with Canopy for several years and starting out they did not have the features they do now. They are very responsive with feature requests and we really like the improvements they have made. Canopy is constantly improving the user environment and making a better product.

Pros

Canopy allowed us to grow our client base without having to add additional personnel. using canopy tasks to track where the team members are, and to take notes, and hold communications (emails) we can assist each other when answering client questions. This way clients aren't playing phone tag with one individual. The file storage with client portal allows the clients to access their documentation 24/7/365 eliminating the need to email documents back and forth.

Cons

Unfortunately Canopy does not sync with QuickBooks desktop.

Melanie C.

Powerful tax tool

It is such a robust program. It combines a number of other software programs into one and then some. I love being able to see where I left off on a particular client request. It keeps me organized and provides great documetation. I am also going to be using the transcript service once I figure it out. And I suspect that I will be purchasing the audit resolution package soon too. Many benefits to using this software.

Pros

It is project oriented, easy to learn,and meets many relevant needs as a tax professional. It is also constantly evolving.

Cons

I can't find a fault. It is great and I highly recommend its use as a tax professional. Initially phone support was limited but that has since changed. I have been able to get live assistance every time I have called in the past 6 months or so and they are very helpful and professional.

Reviewed on 03/04/2018

Canopy is to be loved.

Client file organization and communication system all in one software. All tax forms and ease of editing client files... it's great.

Pros

Overall functionality and ease of navigation. Bonus points for cool GUI and branding. The Customer Support staff is absolutely outstanding.

Cons

The billing section needs a lot of work. Need to be able to automatically run batches of clients on a monthly basis. I know this is being addressed but it's still an issue for us.

David H.

Reviewed on 11/05/2018

I really like the software's ease of use; and my staff loves it!

Pros

The fact that even some of my least tech saavy clients can use this software. Also, the transcript feature is worth its weight in gold! I almost never have to use the very frustrating and non-user friendly IRS site, which is a real time saver for my staff and I.

Cons

I would say the cost; it is a bit prohibitive, but it does save me quite a bit of time so that might be a good tradeoff.

Roxanne G.

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Excellent and Secure

I had problems exchanging large documents securely. This solves those problems. I don't feel I'm using this program to it's full functionality, but I'm not sure how to integrate it into our work flow.

Pros

Clients and I can exchange data securely and without size limits.

Cons

The price increase, minimal customer service as to work flow integration.

Marla D.

Reviewed on 11/05/2018

It's a great piece of software that is continually striving to be better!

Organization of contacts, data, and sharing of information with clients securely.

Pros

The ability to organize my contact information and data, as well as share documents with my clients.

Cons

I wish that the document sharing worked more like a dropbox where you could edit the documents and not have to download and then reload. I would also love to see an app on the apple and android platforms.

James F.

Reviewed on 25/05/2018

INCREDIBLE, AMAZING

Pros

HELPED ME STREAMLINE PROCESSES AND ENHANCE COMMUNICATION WITH CLIENTS. I AM NO ABLE TO ONBOARD NEW CLIENTS IN UNDER AN HOUR AND SET UP NEW LEGAL ENTITIES IN LESS THAN A WEEK.

Cons

WOULD LIKE FOR CLIENTS TO BE ABLE TO SEE WORKFLOWS TO UNDERSTAND PROJECT STATUSES AND SUPPORT REQUEST CHANNEL FOR CLIENTS TO LOG SUPPORT REQUESTS.

Tony P.

Reviewed on 18/06/2019

Great help for Tax Resolution

Pros

Ability to pull entire reports from IRS for clients. Client surveys are easily able to put into documents to send out

Cons

Sometimes hard to navigate without watching the instructional videos to get you to the right spot

Julie F.

Reviewed on 12/06/2018

This is a great product!

Pros

I like the ease of pulling transcripts and the penalty abatement letters templates. The OIC is a very good tool as well. It allows me to input and change items with great ease.

Cons

I wish that there was a way to hide clients name and to search for names without all being listed. Sometimes I might have a client with me that I need Canopy and when I open it there is the list of names! I try to have it open and ready before they come in my office but sometimes that is not always possible.

Adam C.

Reviewed on 09/04/2018

This is a great help with OICs

Pros

Like how the software does everything needed to file OICs; like that the surveys get sent easily to clients and get notified that the survey is done

Cons

I've had trouble using the transcripts feature - possibly user error. Found it somewhat easier to call IRS and get the transcripts

Collin C.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 26/06/2018

Easy to use software that really does save time.

Pros

Ease of use. Everything just works. It is simple and intuitive. The navigation leads you to where you need to go to get each task completed.

Cons

Lack of charts showing all clients and the status of their case. This may be because I don't pay for all the bells and whistles.

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

Canopy is an incredibly useful tool; a must-have for any tax professional.

Pros

I am using the free service to obtain IRS Transcripts and run reports, and as everything is web-based there is nothing to install.

Cons

For the free service, there is apparently no support. So if there is a problem that you can't resolve, you have to do something else.

Chandra D.

Reviewed on 29/06/2018

My experience using Canopy was superior!

On stop shop database and communication source that serves all of my clients. I love being able to provide a private and secure ePortal to my clients!

Pros

Being able to automate my tax business services, clients create and securely login to their own accounts, and send mass emails with sheer ease!

Cons

Not being able to choose the financial institution/service for customer payments, like PayPal and/or Square.

Paul A.

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

Good, but expecting more

Client Portal should support working with non-local clients.

Pros

Client portal seems well-integrated and easy to use.
E-mail integration was easy to set up.
Alerts were easy to customize.

Cons

Import was not intuitive.
Portal and client messaging covered in Canopy branding, not my branding.
Tasks and engagements views are limited and not useful. Needs something more Kanban style.
Navigation could be streamlined.

Response from Canopy

Paul, thank you for your review of Canopy. We thought we would give you an update on one of our new releases, you can make everything your own brand in Canopy now! If you need help with this please reach out to our customer support team and they can hop on a call with you to help you navigate this new white label feature.

Replied 31/10/2018
Deepti P.

Reviewed on 08/01/2019

Great software for your tax needs!

Great! I love it so far

Pros

Canopy is great for all small business needs

Cons

Needs to be more user friendly and tabs have to be clearly assigned

Rebecca N.

Reviewed on 13/12/2017

Love this new software app!

Saving time, money and peace of mind! It does take some time to get everything integrated. But the savings in time and money is well worth it.

Pros

It helps me to do a variety of functions all in one software. I am eliminating 4 separate programs so I can do everything in one place. Makes my job easier and more efficient. Plus I am saving money a month in fees!

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

I like the transcripts, but the CRM is overpriced

Pros

I think it's great that they offer the transcripts feature for free. It's helped me organize my clients a little bit.

Cons

The CRM is just too cost-prohibitive. There are better options out there for cheaper.

Dustin J.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 02/01/2020

Customer Service is Terribly - This Company is too new to meet deadlines

Purchased a license in order to use their Tax Prep software (NOT the tax management software - ability to track clients and manage the funnel of taxes). Was told everything would be ready in time, and I ensured they knew I was only buying now because the Tax Prep software was going to finally be ready. (They told me 4 different dates for when this would be ready as I've been working with their sales for 2 years, waiting for them to get things together). Jumped in and decided to make them our company for our tax prep business, and everything went wrong. Salesperson we worked with had quit, implementation team was slow, and then I got off the phone with a support person who casually mentioned that the tax software was tossed out for this year. We had no clue, completely SOL as we have 4 weeks until tax season started and had to rush to find another company. All done without an apology, just "oh that's funny, I thought everyone knew that we couldn't get the software ready", even though we were assured that it would be - for a quick sale I imagine. Lots of back and forth with different support team members. We had been paying for two months and getting everything switched to their platform - which took an enormous amount of time and effort from our people, just to be told they won't have it ready for us and we will not receive a refund. I told the support manager before about this review being posted and was told I "might get a call back" for help.

Pros

The software is cloud based and therefore easy to access.

Cons

The company consistantly made promises that they were unable to uphold. Pushbacks on product releases that we desperately needed, and no refund for their mistakes. Not the company you want to go with when you need something dependable. They're a tax company which makes it even more absurd that they mess around with deadlines.

Jay S.

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

Canopy

Best Software compared ot its Peers.

Pros

This Software makes my Firm efficient and I cannot see running my practice without this software.

Cons

Software has trouble reading some MAC Files.

Anne-marie H.

Reviewed on 21/05/2021

Canopy - Firm Saving

Love Canopy! Decreases the time I am spending on administrative task.

Pros

Canopy allowed us to flex during the pandemic by offering our clients an easy client portal to use. The clients were able to share their documents for tax preparation. Our firm was then able to upload tax returns for their review. And the e-sign function for the 8879 was amazing. My favorite part is the transcript function to pull clients data from IRS. The transcript report package a professional document to provide to the client that is branded to our firm.

Cons

Haven't discovered any cons with the package. They seem to always be one step ahead of my needs.

Jonathan R.

Reviewed on 03/06/2018

This software is my main hub for working and is allowing us to finally move to a paperless...

We're able to have easy access to all our clients, vendors, internal files, employees, etc - all in one easy to use format that is secure. We may never be 100% paperless due to regulatory requirements, but with Canopy, we can get as close to it as possible.

Pros

It has contact info on all people we do business with (clients, vendors, employees, etc). It allows us to store and org files in an easy to use format.

Cons

Setting up engagements, tasks and calendar/communications has been unusable for me; too disjointed from the hectic reality I deal with; though if it could be streamlined and integrated with the rest of my digital life, I would use these features! Specifically, we use a specific app for billings; would prefer to keep to that, but have Canopy pull the info from our billing app.

Julie L.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

As a tax professional with various types of clients I love it all in one place

Having a secure portal and most of my client tax information in one place.

Pros

The creators and tech support of this program are responsive to the end users requests and the site is updated, the tech support amazing, and until they get a feature installed, will help you with a work around to use in the mean time.

Cons

That I cannot print lists easily, that clients cannot fill out their own portal information, and most importantly, that I cannot due my clients regular income taxes here thereby having all the important information saved in place.

Jason N.

Reviewed on 03/04/2018

This website has optimized our client communication faster than any other avenue.

Pros

We appreciate the ability to communicate with our clientele virtual through a multitude of platforms on Canopy, all precisely engineered to accommodate our desires.

Cons

The only opposition to Canopy would be that because of its many unique features it may seem complicated at face value, but it is nothing more complicated than an email.

Mark J.

Reviewed on 09/04/2018

Canva has most definitely allowed me to streamline my tax business!

Streamline and mobility

Pros

I like that I have the ability to not only keep all my tax clients separate, but I can invoice and open up the application and work anywhere there's an internet connection!

Cons

One of the biggest cons I have is the inability to send out and have engagement letters digitally signed. The only thing would be to the interface, allow the user to hide some of the details when using the interface.

Jeremy J.

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

Canopy has been a great resource for my accounting firm.

Pros

I love the intuitiveness of the product and the user interface on both my end and my client's. I use the product on a continuous basis and it has turned out to be a precious timesaver for my firm.

Cons

I wish the ability to update clients was a little smoother. The initial bulk import was smooth, but now there are several more needing to be added. The process does not seem as smooth to update the list.