About POS Nation

POS Nation is built to support retailers, including specialty businesses such as tobacco and vape shops, liquor, wine and beer stores, lawn and garden centers, hardware stores, convenience stores, groceries and markets. The...

Browse POS Nation Reviews

Sean G. Sean G.

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

POS Nation Review

I have enjoyed using POS Nation. With each fix or call to the tech team, I learn the system more and more. The POS Nation employees have been wonderful, and the hardware has held up well for the time we have had it.

Pros

I enjoyed the setup process. The instructor was great to work with, and very informative. The features within the system fit just about any scenario we run into. The ease of learning the system was also a relief.

Cons

I will occasionally run into issues finding the correct reports to run for specific information. Also, I have experienced "speed" issues with the system taking many seconds to finish transactions and open the drawer. However, both of these issues are resolved fairly quickly after calling customer support.

Toast POS

Reasons for Choosing POS Nation

Inventory and reporting capabilities. Also, to get with a more modern system.

Reasons for Switching to POS Nation

We have Toast in our Restaurant program. Their poor hardware performance and lack of customer service dissuaded us from pursuing any further business with them.

Response from POS Nation

We're happy you're enjoying your system, Sean! Thanks for the review.

Replied 17/01/2020
Margaret jane B. Margaret jane B.

Reviewed on 26/08/2021

Manager

I love it..

Pros

I like that it is very organized, and easy to make reports, if no one else is logging in from another location .
I know yor employee was right letting me know all has access to my store.
I have had numerous problems,but i think its because our company has several locations in which all have access to my location which has been very disturbing.
I appreciate all that you guys have done for me and I am hoping my boss gets employee numbers to keep this from happening again..

Thank you so much for helping me today..

Best,

Jane Brady

Cons

I like it all Basically..
I think its awesome..

Response from POS Nation

Thank you for your kind words, and for taking the time to share your feedback of our company! We greatly appreciate you and your business.

Replied 22/10/2021
Karen W. Karen W.
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 23/03/2019

My first POS

For the most part, the service has been good. I accidentally ended up talking to someone on the east coast when I first began investigating the possibility of making this POS purchase, which is a challenge when I am trying to talk to someone on the west coast where I'm located. Anything that I need must be shipped from across the country instead of up the coast.

But the people are friendly and helpful. Even if they insist I watch the videos in order to learn more about the operation of the system. That would be much easier if I actually had speakers on my machine or a place to hook them up, but I do not. Watching the videos on my home computer do not help, as I cannot practice what I just learned.

Would I buy this again, knowing what I know now? Probably, although I think I'd do a little more research and ask a lot more questions first.

Pros

I purchased this POS machine and software in order to streamline our monthly sales and inventory. For the most part, it has met those needs satisfactorily. I like that I can look up sales info for specific days and track inventory during both the busy season and the shoulder season. Being able to spot trends is paramount to achieving success in any business, and that's one of the main reasons I wanted to use this software. Tracking expenses and profit/loss is also something I'm looking forward to doing with ease once I figure it out.

Also, having an machine that links up to our online store and keeps inventory current is a major plus.

Cons

Oooh, this is gonna be a long list.
It is not exactly user friendly or intuitive. Entering inventory is a pain in the neck. You must go through two separate screens in order to complete all the information on each item! I would much rather have a long list of things to complete on one screen than have to close out Style Matrix, go into Inventory Maintenance, find the item, fill in the missing details (part number, description for the price tags, web description, etc.) then print out the price tags (which is on yet another screen!)

Also, there have been updates to the software that make some interesting changes, including having items go missing from the database and when I'm trying to ring up a customer and the machine insists that the item is NOT in inventory and would I like to add it now (even though I JUST scanned a barcode printed out by my machine) is super frustrating. Sometimes I just need to scan it for a third time before it recognizes the code and the purchase can continue.

Also, the TS lookup is a hassle, as there is no way to tell if you're choosing the correct color or size in a style matrix situation.

Also, when you get your online store together, the categories and departments are the opposite of what they are in the POS, which is horribly confusing, and you cannot easily change categories or departments. Don't even think about deleting one of them, because that is one button click from disaster. It gets ugly.

Response from POS Nation

We appreciate the feedback, Karen!

Replied 12/09/2019

Top POS Nation Alternatives

Bob T. Bob T.

Reviewed on 21/12/2020

CAP POS Software

Our largest benefit was the integrated Pennsylvania plcb report. We found that most of customers a re small business operators and they were not looking for a $25,000 software package. It is a reliable product that fit our customers needs.

Pros

It's pretty easy to set up and then train our customers to use it. CAP tailored the product to accommodate our PA beer distributors by creating an integrated PA PLCB Beverage report. CAP support has been very helpful. CAP has most of the features that 99% of our customers actually use/need. The price point is good.

Cons

There are not any substantial cons with CAP that we have encountered.

Response from POS Nation

Bob,

We are happy to hear that our POS System is easy to set up and train your customers on how to use it! We are also happy to hear that the integrated PA PLCB Beverage report has been very accommodating and crucial for your business. Thank you for taking the time to give us a review that makes us proud! We are glad to have you as a customer.

Replied 29/12/2020
Joseph l D. Joseph l D.

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

Best POS for Retail/Tavern Liquor Business

Pros

Great product. Easy installation and start up. Only POS to provide solution for hybrid business. We are a restaurant/Tavern/retail wine shop that uses the robust tag/label system as well as inside dining/bar business. Service from CAP has been great. Very responsive and good follow up.

Cons

Only Con we experienced was the interface to Quickbooks at startup. Our distributor didn’t provide instruction prior to install. We had Quickbooks operational prior to CAP which required a rebuild of Quickbooks after the fact. CAP customer support went above and beyond to help us.

Response from POS Nation

Joseph,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our company and our customer support. We pride ourselves on delivering service our customers can brag about, and it is great to know that we succeeded with you! We greatly appreciate your business.

Replied 22/12/2020
Cynthia D. Cynthia D.

Reviewed on 12/03/2019

POS Nation tops the list

POS Nation offers great service. From the Rep in sales to the tech guys. They have always been polite, and quick with service. My only real complaint is that when I have an urgent call because a customer is waiting, I can never get through to someone right away. It can take some time for someone to get back with me. But when they do, it is usually handled.

Pros

I like POS Nation. The Cash Register Express software is pretty good but it needs more flexibility. Need easier flexibility to run comparison reports for year to year comparisons, comparing products, etc.

Cons

Cash Register Express needs more flexibility with all reports. Also we are a small business. Should have the ability to turn off requirements to enter passwords to do end of day and do backups.

Payal B. Payal B.

Reviewed on 19/10/2020

CAP Software is good.

Overall, great product.

Pros

Cap software easy to manage and operate.

Cons

Support during weekdays and during weekend ( Saturday) has lots of challenges. It’s hard to reach the support time.

Response from POS Nation

Hello Payal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your honest review! We are very happy to hear that you like the CAP software! We also appreciate your honest feedback on our technical support, which we will use to continue improving our processes. If you have any questions for us, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Replied 22/10/2020
Jennifer S. Jennifer S.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

owner

Really enjoy all the technical support team really listen to my needs and problem solve for my business. Make great suggestions for my operating system. I like that all my needs are in one shop.

Pros

Step by step walks you through.easy to enter product. Easy to review stock of inventory.
Manage Report from year to year. Clock in clock out.
Accounting purposes, great best sellers. Times of day busy

Cons

The return process. Not able to print reports of items when you enter them.

Response from POS Nation

Thanks for the review, Jennifer!

Replied 12/09/2019
Genevieve B. Genevieve B.

Reviewed on 12/12/2020

CAPS Team

Tremendously satisfied

Pros

Easy user friendly Compared to other POS systems I’ve used this one is right on point

Cons

Can’t think of anything. No complaints on anything.

Response from POS Nation

Genevieve,

We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your POS system. Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your feedback with us. Please let us know if you need anything in the future!

Replied 18/12/2020
Rony D. Rony D.

Reviewed on 08/11/2020

Great product

Pros

Ease of use and what i wanted out of it! The customer service is the best part great people who know what there doing and i get my problems resovled all the time!

Cons

Cant send out mass emails! Nothing to be a deal breaker!

Response from POS Nation

Rony,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our POS System and also our customer service. We pride ourselves on delivering such service that our customers can brag about. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write us a review.

Anita H. Anita H.

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

Technical Support

It’s been very great!

Pros

I love the technical support. I always get the help I need. Very professional and friendly. I’ve never felt like I couldn’t accomplish the tasks after support I’ve been given.

Cons

Some issues on reporting but we are working through.

Response from POS Nation

Anita,

POS Nation is lucky to have such great customers, like yourself. We cannot thank you enough for sharing your positive experience with our company and specifically our technical support team.

Luis C. Luis C.

Reviewed on 16/10/2020

EXCELLENT POS SYSTEM.

AFTER TWO WEEKS OF RESEARCH AND ASKING OTHER STORES, WE DECIDED FOR THE MOST COMPLETE, EASIEST TO USE FULL POS SYSTEM. TRAINING IS INCREDIBLE AND AVAILABLE 24/7. WE COULD NOT ASK FOR A BETTER SYSTEM.

Pros

EASY TO USE. FULL CUSTOMER SUPPORT. GREAT SYSTEM.

Cons

THE SOFTWARE COULD BE MORE FLEXIBLE ON DELETING THING THAT WE DO NOT USE.

Response from POS Nation

Luis,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our POS System and our customer service. We pride ourselves on delivering service our customers can brag about, and it is great to know that we succeeded with you! We greatly appreciate your business and the time you took to write this review.

Replied 20/10/2020
Chris P. Chris P.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Reviewed on 30/09/2021

Beer Distributor inventory and POS system

Software is intuitive and quick to learn. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] and the support team are very knowledgeable and quick to address any questions or challenges.

Pros

The software met the vast majority of our business needs in operating a beer distributor and managing inventory. It has a very robust capacity to handle challenges unique to our industry from case breaks to discounts and loyalty programs, PO system, inventory mgmt and beyond.

Cons

So far, haven’t encountered anything of concern.

Response from POS Nation

Thank you for your feedback regarding our support team. We pride ourselves on delivering service our customers can brag about, and it is great to know that we succeeded with you! We greatly appreciate your business.

Replied 22/10/2021
Michael D. Michael D.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 21/12/2019

BVR POS review 2019

Great

Pros

Ease of use, simple and the cost of the product

Cons

The third party who handles contracts needs a lot of help when situations dealing with Tribal governments.

Response from POS Nation

Thank you for the review, Michael! Your feedback is valued.

Replied 17/01/2020
Lorraine N. Lorraine N.

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

CAP for Grocery store

Pros

The promised ability to use my existing hardware which was not possible with any other grocery specific POS program.

Cons

It was not specific to the grocery industry and is not flexible in changing to changing needs within the grocery industry. For example, when an additional tax was imposed for telecommunication cards this program did not have the ability to differentiate it which would be required in order for me to report taxes to the state. Also, my own personal, custom gift cards cannot be processed through the system nor can I scan and process Major gift cards through this program.

Response from POS Nation

Lorraine,

We are sorry to hear you have not had a good experience in regards to some areas within our software. Please give us a call at your earliest convenience so that we can assist you at 704-405-5089.

Replied 19/11/2020
Betsy B. Betsy B.

Reviewed on 12/02/2021

Would recommend POS Nation

I know that when I call I always have someone who can guide me and answer questions. That is very much appreciated. Our Customer Success Manager, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been wonderful through this experience. He has been kind and patient. We really appreciate the fact POS Nation is a US-based company and everyone we speak to is here in the US.

Pros

All of our needs have been met with this pos system. We appreciate that the learning curve for the software was easy and the process of integrating with our existing business was efficient.

Cons

I would like to see a printer that prints tags for outside use, such as a tree tag. At the moment we are printing onto a smaller tag and sticking them to the tree tags.

Gordon L. Gordon L.

Reviewed on 15/03/2019

Great system for the Money

I have spent the most part of a year researching most if not all the different POS systems out there. Though there are other systems that would fit my business model, the down fall is a lot of them are cloud base. With the lack of internet available in Alaska I need a system that I could use without total reliance on the internet. POS Nation was the best application for my needs. I was able to purchase everything I needed to operate my business, I 'm currently operating two stations with a third acting as my storage and back up system that was purchased locally for that purpose. Take the time needed to properly setup this system, the data you can get form this software will greatly assist you in making decisions in maintaining and growing your business.

Pros

CRE is a good program for the kind of business that I run. I recently purchased a grocery/liquor store which has a RV park and small hotel that I have been able to manage through the software. It was a lot of work setting up inventory, and incorporating the RV/Hotel to make it work with the system but with due diligence and with the great support POS provides has made managing my business far easier then it would be without it.

Cons

​I have had only minor issues with the hardware for example the key boards that are sent with the system are not worth the box that the were sent in had to replace them with in a month of receiving them. The keys stick and get stuck and not everything can be done efficiently through a touch screen. The back office program is a great program with good reportage, but working with purchase orders need some work. The creation of a PO doesn't work with real world situations. Once generated the can't be adjusted when faced with stock outs or quantity changes. So I don't us it to generate my orders with vendors, more so for receiving my orders.
Again these are just minor issues. Again the reportage you get form the system is very informative and allows you to efficiently manage your day to day, monthly and yearly reportage.

Carol E. Carol E.

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

Dependable software/Easy to Use

We are very happy with the product. Otherwise, we wouldn't be such long-time customers. We can track sales hourly/daily/monthly/annually as well as by sales code. We can offer discounts to customers and track on type of discount given. Also, helps us keep track of inventory costs/turnover, sales taxes and much more.

Pros

Have been using the CAP POS system in our employees' store for 20 years +. Easy system for cashiers and administrator to learn and use. On the very few occasions that we've had issues, tech support was very responsive and fixed the problem on the first contact. No need for call backs.

Cons

Wish there was some way we could link it to our website so it could automatically track inventory on our online store and show items as sold out. Right now , we run reports daily and adjust manually. But Reports module is very easy to use and provides many different real-time reports with variables depending on info you are looking for.

Response from POS Nation

Carol,

Reviews like this really make our team proud. Thank you so much for your kind words, and for being a valued POS Nation customer for over 20 years! We are so happy to hear that our technical support team has been very responsive to fix any problem that you have had throughout the years. Again, thank you for your feedback and kind words.

Replied 15/12/2020
Diana T. Diana T.

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

CAP is perfect for managing a retail shop with lots of product and customers

For us, the inventory control is the most valuable. We have a bead shop with hundreds of small items that would be impossible to manage without CAP. We know what's selling, who is buying and when to reorder or put on sale to move out. We know what our overall financial position is constantly.

Pros

Back office is incredible - so nice to have access to everything that we do from purchasing, receiving, tagging, selling, reordering, customer history, discounts, special sales - I could go on forever. I can't imagine what more could be needed.

Cons

We started using CAP when we first set up our business over 20 years ago and have enjoyed the upgrades over the years. Now with the incredible support we are getting today it is wonderful. The program is sophisticated and with so many options it is so much easier to utilize more features with the new support available. I wish we had access to that years ago. I spent a lot of time with trial and error trying to utilize different features but now I can just pick up the phone and within a very short period of time, I've got my questions answered or problems solved!

Response from POS Nation

Diana,

POS Nation is lucky to have such great customers, like yourself. We cannot thank you enough for sharing your positive experience with our company! We are so happy to hear that you love the Back Office feature and the upgrades over the years. We are excited to continue working with you throughout the years to come!

Replied 16/12/2020
Scott H. Scott H.

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Review of Personnell

Pros

The customer support team, in particular [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been awesome. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was fantastic with getting my problem solved as quickly as she did. I hope that she answers any future calls we need to make.

Cons

Inability to add surcharge for credit card/debit purchases. Our credit card processing is through Payment Depot/First Nashville and the need to go to a separate screen and hit another key, while our customer is waiting is cumbersome and not efficient, either time wise or financially. We have been told that this is due to us using First Nashville, but it is hard to believe that a processor of this size is not set up in your system for this to be handled. Please feel free to contact me for further response.

Response from POS Nation

Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are happy to hear that our customer support team represented POS Nation well. In regards to your inability to add surcharge for credit card/debit purchases, we definitely can help you get this setup. Please give our technical support team a call at 704-405-5089 to get you the assistance needed. Thank you again for your review! We greatly appreciate you as a customer.

Kenneth C. Kenneth C.
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Reviewed on 21/10/2020

Simplicity

Been using over 15 years, had some growing pains in first few years but it has been pretty rock solid for last 8-10 years. So easy to use and train new employees quickly. Every other POS I have looked at is overcomplicated and hard to use and follow.

Pros

Very simple presentation at POS homesceen in selling mode, simple operation for scanning, lookup and paying. Software has the few features that I need and so many others that I will never use.

Cons

Inventory sales history by item is not precise enough, needs to break down actual sales from transfers and damages. including transfers really can skew the actual sales history. Also spot checking Inventory is very confusing to teach and execute properly.

Response from POS Nation

Kenneth,

POS Nation is lucky to have such great customers, like yourself. We cannot thank you enough for sharing your positive experience with our company! We appreciate your 15 years of loyalty and thankful to have you as a customer.

Replied 26/10/2020
Heather W. Heather W.

Reviewed on 21/11/2020

CRE

The version I have is Cash Register express. I have been happy overall. The transition has been relatively seemless.

Pros

Once the system is set up it is easy to use and the reporting features are very useful.

Cons

The limited ability and cost to communicate with accounting software like Quickbooks online.

Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Choosing POS Nation

More reporting features, inventory management, price point

Clover

Reasons for Switching to POS Nation

Mainly the pricepoint and the value for the price.

Response from POS Nation

Heather,

Replied 04/12/2020
Sharon W. Sharon W.

Reviewed on 19/03/2019

We love POS Nation

We pay the monthly maintenance fee, which is very helpful when needing assistance in the evenings. We are open from 9am until midnight, so we need support during a wide range of times. POS Nation offers that coverage.

Pros

This software is great at inventory tracking. I use the Advanced Reporting also that allows me to customize various reports that are not offered as a standard report.

Cons

I wish is had a way to export several fields all onto one report into an excel file. The only export offered is from their list of standard reports. So I have to download 2 or more reports into excel and then merge the data together to get the needed information.

Brian T. Brian T.

Reviewed on 16/12/2020

One of the best

Been using CAP for over 14 years

Pros

Very easy to use and train on. Well thought out and designed.

Cons

Having the ability to save credit cards encrypted on file was a nice feature in the other POS system we had

Response from POS Nation

Brian,

Replied 22/12/2020
Kendall P. Kendall P.

Reviewed on 23/12/2020

Hospital Gift Shop Use

Pros

Very easy to use. I most enjoy the ability to set up hot keys for the items that we sell the most.

Cons

Would like to see a functionality to be able to take credit card payments over the phone for credit card purchases.

Response from POS Nation

Kendall,

We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your POS system so far. Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your feedback with us. Please reach out to our technical support team at 704-405-5089 to discuss option for taking credit card payments via phone. Please let us know if you need anything in the future!

Replied 16/02/2021