ConstructionOnline Reviews

About ConstructionOnline

UDA Technologies’ ConstructionOnline offers a web-based, integrated approach to project management, project scheduling, and customer management. Designed for emerging construction businesses in the homebuilding and remodeling...

4.8

Browse ConstructionOnline Reviews

Rean
Rean

Reviewed on 18/10/2017

This is the best new "toy" I've had in years. I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Saves time. Makes it easy to find stuff. Helps you stay organized. Keeps subs, vendors, owners, architects, vendors all on the same page.

Pros

I am a new user of this kind of software. A few months ago I did not even know that something like this existed. It has opened a whole new world for me and I am blown away by what this software can do. We demo'ed a few competing products before making a choice and it was the wide range of features at the most competitive price that sold us on ConstructionOnline. I especially like the messaging feature which is basically an email system dedicated to one specific project.

Cons

There is nothing I really dislike about ConstructionOnline, there are just some features I do not use as they do not meet my needs as a commercial general contractor. For example, I do not use Estimating and Change Orders as they seem to be less robust than some of the other software products. These features seem to be geared more towards the residential market. However, I realize it is hard to be everything for everyone.

A feature, I think, that would be nice would be the ability to sign documents electronically. Maybe one can do it through Redline; if so, I have not been able to figure it out yet.

As a general contractor one has to collect submittal packages from vendors and subcontractors, review them, and then attach a separate sheet to the package, that contains your stamp of approval/comments/signature on it, before you forward the submittal package on to the architect/engineer for review. On this submittal sheet there is space for the different reviewers to add their stamps as well. It would be nice if ConstructionOnline could generate this submittal sheet that you can attach to submittal packages sent to you. Currently, I generate the submittal sheet in another project management program, print it, place my stamp on it, sign it, scan it back into my computer, upload it to a pdf editor, add it to the submittal package file, and then upload the combined file to ConstructionOnline. It would be nice if you could do it all in ConstructionOnline.

Nick

Reviewed on 11/01/2024

6 months in and starting to love it

It was intuitive to set up but also very labor intensive. Took me about eight weeks of 60 hour days to get the basics up and running.

Pros

Selections

Similar enough to others that users can learn it very quickly.

Scheduling looks like it’s going to work very well. Would like to see scheduling by the hour not just by the day.

Cons

Payroll doesn’t import as they don’t link to Quickbooks online

Doesn’t track subcontractor insurance policies

Doesn’t provide lien waivers so we have to use a third system to get that

No bid management system for gathering subcontractor bids, selecting and awarding subcontracts. It’s all very manual and thus very prone to error.

Reasons for Choosing ConstructionOnline

BuildXAct worked great for estimating but as soon as we tried to use it for project management it fell flat on its face.

Buildxact

Reasons for Switching to ConstructionOnline

Sage has destoyed Timberline Co-Construct was bought by BuilderTrend ProCore doesn’t fit residential Quickbooks doesn’t do project management Project and Primavera don’t integrate financial information in the decision making process.
ned

Reviewed on 06/05/2024

Best way to keep track of your project

Pros

everything is great what i use on daily basis

Cons

There is nothing that i dislike about. as i said what ever i use is easy to use and does the work for me

Top ConstructionOnline Alternatives

Steve

Reviewed on 19/08/2021

Almost, but missed the mark

Customer service is very helpful for the product they have. Unfortunately they miss on some pretty basis stuff. We have been told for over a year that development team is working on some of the basic fixes and still nothing changes.

Pros

Estimation portion is good. Job costing is fair.

Cons

It does not have the ability to provide clients with add/alternate pricing. Seems like a very basic feature that most construction companies are asked to provide. This one slipped by us through all the demo's and we have been frustrated for over a year with this. Have to manually do work arounds.

Also we are a commercial construction company that does about 300 jobs a year. The software does not even have the ability to assign each project a job #. With as many jobs going on, we have to be able to cost every purchase and we do that using job #'s and PO#'s. We are manually assigning each job a number.

These are just two of the larger misses on this software.

Reasons for Choosing ConstructionOnline

They were stopping updates to Construction Suite and making it cost prohibitive. Thus trying to move all their clients to Construction Online. We were told that most all the features were available in CO that we had in Construction Suite. By the way they did have auto generated job #'s on old and you were able to provide "option" pricing in old system.

Reasons for Switching to ConstructionOnline

Procore was overkill for the size projects we were doing and we had been happy with Construction Suite. Learning curve to switch to CO was easier as alot of the estimating had similar look and feel to what we had been using.
Edward

Reviewed on 02/04/2024

Highly Recommend due to better communication with Owners and subcontractors

I believe we were one of the first companies to come aboard and have learned to use the platform as a great advantage for our team.

Pros

We like the scheduling and estimating components of the program the best. We can have all our resources in one place and easily communicate Schedules, Change orders and Proposals to Owners, Subcontractors and Suppliers.

Cons

I would like to see the Lead tracking be more like a CRM where you could email your contacts and schedule automated follow-ups.

Reasons for Switching to ConstructionOnline

Ease of use and learning curve. We got up to speed very quickly and we had a good trial period to learn.
Jeff

Reviewed on 29/08/2023

Great product

Great!

Pros

Estimates and client invoicing are super easy to use

Cons

QBO synch, mobile app speed need a little work

Buildertrend

Procore is too complicated

The schedule and estimate tools are better on Construction Online
Nate

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

ConstructionOnline after 1 year

onboarding, implimentation and getting set up in the beginning was incredible. ConstructionOnline moves at the speed we move, they know how to get you up and running with minimal delay.

Pros

The scheduling and calendar function are top notch. easily shifting from calendar view to Gant view makes a big difference allowing multiple user preferences. Hands down the best way to manage your build calendar.Also, their customer support is at a whole new level, no other platform comes close to the speed and efficiency of their response time.

Cons

Estimating and financials get a little cumbersome.

Aaron

Reviewed on 17/01/2023

Great Construction Management Software

I like Construction Online and can't wait to see what it will improve into down the line. It's come a long way from where it was years ago.

Pros

My favorite feature is being able to access project information anywhere. You can see the schedule, tasks, pictures, and plans. Collaboration can happen quickly with it problem solving.

Cons

Data and Business Intelligence features could use some improvement, but that's the typical failing of the entire industry.

Reasons for Switching to ConstructionOnline

Price or didn't adequately do anything in terms of helping the business processes of Construction.

Reviewed on 29/02/2024

It was hard for me to change programs, but it was the best decision I could have made..

I can tell UDA spent a great deal of time putting this program together. There are a couple things I hope they will change but the ease-of-use once you get up to speed is wonderful. I have found the customer service to be the best I have ever received.

Pros

It is packed with every tool I will ever need to manage my construction company. Also, the customer support is top notch.

Cons

I found migrating my projects and linking them to clients from Construction Suite was very time consuming. The calendar only migrated over two weeks from the whole year. I had to repopulate the calendar all over again.

Cheyli

Reviewed on 10/05/2024

Easiest project management tool!!!

Amazing!! Its been so easy to learn and that makes it so easy to train other people as well.

Pros

I am a former UDA desktop user, and let me tell you how much the online version has helped me. It so much easier to navigate, It has a lot of new helpful options and my favorite part is the costumer service.. oh my god, they are so helpful and you can contact them so easily.

Cons

I have not found something that I do not like just yet.

Jason

Reviewed on 21/09/2022

Uda construction online

I have used uda since 2007, when I decided to go to an online platform I tried several, none of them had the easy user platform that construction online had

Pros

Estimate budget tracking, scheduling, the use of subcategories, the ability to set tax rates, and profit margins

Cons

You can not adjust the schedule from the mobile app

Reasons for Choosing ConstructionOnline

Buildertrend estimating and budget tracking was terrible

Buildertrend

Reasons for Switching to ConstructionOnline

They didn't have the estimating set up in an easy to use dashboard, no sub categories no easy we to use percent of mark up, and tax rates, and all of the categories are in tabs, so when you want to look for a specific item you can just click on the tab for that category, the other products you need to scroll through the whole estimate
Lauren

Reviewed on 06/02/2023

ConstructionOnline increased our productivity

It was a little slow going at first, but we are picking up speed. We got an assistant project manager fresh out of school who is adding more information on the technical side of things. On the client side, we are loving the fast, clear, professional communication with our clients, and being able to estimate and send invoices with a few clicks. We are going to continue to add things as we go, and I think after a year we will look up and wonder at what we have been able to accomplish with Construction Online.

Pros

This has been a huge upgrade for us in terms of productivity. We are an older company that has stuck to the same way of doing things for a very long time. Construction Online was fairly simple to implement. We like the flexibility of the system, where we can use the features to suit our needs.

Cons

I don't like the added steps we have to take to add any text to an invoice. I would like a feature similar to what we have in estimating, where I can add a signing page.

Reasons for Switching to ConstructionOnline

Procore was 3x's more expensive than Construction Online, and it looked daunting to operate.
scott

Reviewed on 03/02/2022

Outstanding Support!

Organization, communication, scheduling, efficiency, productivity all improved by utilizing UDA.

Pros

The best thing about this software is the almost instant customer support given through the live chat and the knowledge of all of the techs is superb.

Cons

We are getting ready to integrate Quickbooks Desktop and it would be nice if UDA had their own accounting software within the program.

Buildertrend and CoConstruct

Reasons for Switching to ConstructionOnline

At the time was the price. What kept us was and is the support.
Danny

Reviewed on 22/03/2023

Essential

Very positive, used BuilderTrend, no comparison ConstructionOnline far superior.

Pros

Daily records & plan view. Especially able to find dimension thru CAD.

Cons

RFI, I do not think this is a software problem, but getting people to respond.

Josh

Reviewed on 25/01/2022

Great Software

Construction Online has really helped our company. We love customer service and the willingness to consider our feature requests.

Pros

All-in-one functionality. Super great customer service.

Cons

There are just a few minor features that we would be great. 1) Not counting QB credit card credit as cost. 2) Being able to see what costs came in from QB for each Construction Online category.

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

Use it every day

Pros

We are able to communicate easily with sub trades and homeowners through this software

Cons

It can be busy at times. I feel one needs another monitor or a bigger screen to use it to it’s fullest

Johanna

Reviewed on 10/05/2017

Katy taught me how to update contacts to allow for punchlist viewing by our team members.

So many! Help with organizing - help with scheduling - help with wrangling everything!!! Gotta get back to work.

Pros

I enjoy the cross platform functionality. It's so great to be able to access our files from any location, either online or from our servers in the office. This makes a big difference as our team (and project list) continues to grow - we can allow viewing of select items/lists and we don't need to force anyone to use Mac or Windows to work within UDA. Far surpassing any software features, though, the fact that your IT staff is so prompt to respond and so helpful launches this software into one of my favorites I've ever worked with. All software has issues - it's how you respond and deal with those issues that differentiate you from the rest and I thank you for it. Now if you can just have some IT available until 5pm West Coast time (where I am) my dreams would really come true. Thank you to Katy and all the other fabulously helpful people I've interacted with!

Cons

A trifling issue, but since you asked - when I add documents from our computer to the Project Files for a job, it's pretty wonky and time consuming. If I drag an item to the file list, instead of showing it was added - the file list scrolls back to the top so I have to scroll back down to see if it was even added - which it usually wasn't. This happens each time. This means I've taken to adding each document twice to ensure it imports so I don't need to scroll down to check if it's there or not. It would be MUCH nicer if the file list stayed put while I added files so I could see where - and that they were added to the list. Sometimes UDA lets me add mutliple documents and adds a 1 or 2 after each multiple - and sometimes it warns me that it already has that doc in the file. If this warning could pop up every time, I wouldn't need to then re-scroll down to the files I just added and delete duplicates. Also - just like when I add files, when I delete a duplicate the file list automatically scrolls back up to the top so I have to manually go back down to where I was to delete the next duplicate.

Reviewed on 13/03/2024

Ivey Custom Homes - UDA Construction Online

Overall im very pleased with CO. I started out in 2003 or so with just the estimating program, so it has came a long way. Time spent with the system is efficient and user friendly. My employees picked it up quick and its used daily.

Pros

Just about everything now that the insurance tracking has been added. This will now allow all information to be in one place.

Cons

Really wish you could add WIP based accounting to the software so it would be more tailored to the industry. As a QB user, QB is somewhat generic for home building and the online version is even more. An all in one offering with accounting, heck i would pay more to have the integration in one package.

Alyssa

Reviewed on 16/06/2022

Happy User

Pros

Our favorite features are the messaging and financial features. The messaging portal makes it easy to organize your conversations and allow all team members to stay in the loop. The estimation, client selections, change orders, and invoicing features work great and make it easy to integrate with Quickbooks.

Cons

The feature we use the least and feel could be improved is the time tracking feature. We have attempted to use it in the past, but find Quickbooks Time to be easier and more user friendly, especially when it comes to integrating for payroll. The opportunities feature is also fantastic, but we do wish the opportunities could be accessed in the mobile app and synced to Quickbooks. We have some opportunities that might not become a project, but require invoicing for time spent on designs, etc. This is not possible in the opportunities section at the moment and we end up having to copy the estimate information into Quickbooks manually.

Lynne

Reviewed on 12/01/2022

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] is an Amazing Expert!

As a new user/administrator with Construction Online, it seems that some training is necessary to easily navigate the software. I do enjoy the other features (Lead Pipeline and Project Estimating in the Financial tab). Once again, [SENSITIVE CONTENT] was integral in our business effort to connect the two software platforms, Construction Online and QuickBooks Online. I will request [SENSITIVE CONTENT] in the future for any challenges that arise and any time I need assistance. He is an asset to your team as well as ours.

Pros

I like the communication between the software accounting and estimating features of Construction Online. I also am very impressed with the Construction Online and QuickBooks expert, [SENSITIVE CONTENT]. With his level of expertise and skills set, I successfully facilitated the integration of our QuickBooks Online with the Construction Online. This integration is essential to our business operations between Project Managers and myself as the administrator of the financials and accounting. I would highly recommend [SENSITIVE CONTENT] as an expert to assist with any client.

Cons

Construction Online is labor intensive to integrate with QuickBooks Online. Several project features in QuickBooks are inactive/unusable when integrated with Construction Online. Also, not having the capacity to integrate/transfer payroll expenses for the job costing between the two software platforms is a disadvantage. I understand this feature is on the schedule with Construction Online to implement in 2022. Very happy about that.

Reviewed on 22/08/2022

Helpful Construction Software

The support service for this software has been friendly, timely, and very helpful. We have been very impressed with the quality of their solutions.

Pros

We like its ease of use. Additionally the internet platform makes it available to all of our employees wheterh they are in the office or not.

Cons

We would like to see the estimating portion use a single item entry system that could include labor, materials, trades, equipment and other costs in one line item in the database. The Construction Suite product does this. This feature is the only reason we are still using the Construction Suite software and have not moved completely to COL.

Jorge

Reviewed on 03/05/2017

This products has the potential of being one of the contractor most valuable tools.

Pros

There is a value in communication and instant data upload with our Customers and Sub's.
The ability to instantly upload pictures, punch list, RFI, client selection and change orders or adjusting architectural drawings on the fly is a valuable tool and these are but a few of the tools we use please keep improving the software.

Cons

There are a lot of software limitation such as the search for contacts and the ability to set categories and sub categories. The ability to rotate the plans once they are in the plan room.
The ability for some of the apps to connect properly with the online software such as time tracking or the use of plan room on an iPad or other tablet which has a lot of glitch's and does not work fluently.

Arleen

Reviewed on 08/03/2016

Time saving and expert and friendly support team

Pros

With regret, I took my time integrating with my QuickBooks software. After a little over 2 years of having Construction Suite, I finally took the plunge and began the integration process between the two software programs. I love the ease at customizing the software to suit our particular business. The customer support is second to none! The staff is quick to resolve any issues and answer questions minimizing any downtime. No worries! If I make a mistake the staff is quick to show me what I did, while correcting my mistake. Mistakes happen, it is nice to know I have support when and if I need it. I highly recommend the total care package. You will not be disappointed! As for the reporting, Construction Suite provides additional useful reports to help evaluate the current state of your business and let you see at a glance the progress of all projects both financially and the current phase.

Cons

Don't really have any dislikes! My only complaint is that I waited too long to do the integration between my software programs!

Derek

Reviewed on 06/02/2024

UDA Project Management and Estimating

Pros

We are able to upload all of the project docs and mark up in one place in stead of searching emails and other submittals. When a template is complete and we are comfortable using it, estimating becomes much easier than spreadsheets. We can track projects in real time when the field is remembering to upload items as they’re being completed.

Cons

When we upload plans it creates individual pages for a project, I wish the full drawling sets were more easily accessible.

Darrell

Reviewed on 02/03/2023

Construction Online

When we complete the estimate, we know the exact cost for that job.

Pros

the estimating is by far the best. The existing template keeps me from overlooking an item. The ability to list every piece of lumber needed for estimate puts Construction Online above most other estimating programs. The ability to choose percent of cost or margin is a great benefit.

Cons

When entering the name of an item it would help if when it is clicked it would go directly to the description tab next instead of going directly to the quantity tab.