QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

About QuickBooks Payroll

QuickBooks Payroll is a technology-enabled HR services platform that offers human resource (HR) and employee management services for small businesses. Serving clients across multiple geographical regions, it helps organizations...

4.2

Browse QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

Peter
Peter
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 02/07/2023

Easy to deploy payroll system for any sized organization

Easy to use, easy to set up and get going

Pros

The ease of importing hours, processing payroll (including through direct deposit), keep track of taxes, and processing annual W2s.

Cons

It was a bit more expensive than we would have liked to pay given that we are a small nonprofit.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Full range of use offerings
Vicki
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Payroll Service for Small Offices

I have not had any problems with quickbooks payroll at all. I would recommend this service to other businesses. I also found them to be cheaper that the other payroll companies out in the market.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. Has all of the options we need for tracking deductions, types of pay, vacation accruals, 401K, flexplan deductions, etc. Online check stubs for the employees. They can just log on and get a copy of their paycheck. They automatically receive an email when the check is ready to review. Easy data entry. Quickbooks takes care of all of the Federal and state filing forms and payments. If you use Quickbooks for your business you can set it up to automatically transfer the payroll to your general ledger. Saves time and prevents errors.

Cons

If you don't start out using this software with your quickbooks when you first implement - you are not able to keep your payroll history. If you need to convert from one software to another - I would recommend doing it at the time of your physical year.

Kimberly

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Quickbooks Payroll don't be fooled

If you have a simple payroll this is not a terrible product. If you have employees in multiple states, I would not recommend.

Pros

The integration with Quickbooks online was a key factor. It is also very easy to use once the setup is complete.

Cons

The customer service is non-existent. I have a client that uses the full service payroll, and if there is an error where Quickbooks is at fault, it is impossible to ever get them to pay for the error, they will admit the responsibility, but they will not pay for the responsibility. The customer service is tiered so you never speak to a decision maker even when the error is a significant dollar amount. I had this issue in two cases. 1. Quickbooks processed a duplicate payroll costing my client $15,000+ and despite full documentation that they were responsible, they would not pay for the error. 2. I set up a new client on full service payroll with employees in the state of Nevada. QB did not support filing one of the taxes required for the state. They did not disclose this and admitted that they did not disclose at the beginning nor did they prompt the client to file the return when it came due. Quickbooks did take responsibility for the error by admitting it, but they would not take responsibility for the taxes and penalties.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Price and integration with accounting software.

Top QuickBooks Payroll Alternatives

Church Windows

ShelbyNext Financials

ADP TotalSource

Cody

Reviewed on 08/03/2024

Very cheap and user friendly

Incredibly easy to use and run. But once you have an issue it may be impossible to fix.

Pros

The price. I had an issue with QB payroll and considered other options. Most were 10x more expensive.

Cons

The help desk. Any time I have an issue and contact the help desk, it takes over an hour of them "researching" before the answer is usually, "we can't do that." or "that's just how it works." I once had a major issue that required a special department, but every time I called in and asked for that department, I was forced to explain my entire situation and wait an hour for that person to try to fix it, even though I knew they couldn't, before the person would escalate.

Ruben

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Customer Service

Quickbooks Payroll has been easy to use. We just recently started using Quickbooks for payroll. If I would have known how easy it was, I would have switched along time ago. I do not like change much, so if it works why switch. Quickbooks has been working well for our business.

Pros

The software is extremely user friendly. I love the simplicity of it. And When I have an issue chatting online instantly is amazing. Today I had an issue with our address since we moved our office and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing. He was genuine in asking how my day was and very understanding and friendly. He took care of my issue and made sure it would not come up again.

Cons

In the 5 years that we have been with quickbooks there is really nothing bad I can say about the software. It has been great for our business.

Shannon
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 10/02/2023

Works great! Syncs with QB.

Overall it's a strong product with all the features most people will need for their business. I used it for 2 restaurants and was very pleased with it. It's great to have all your finances in a single place.

Pros

I liked that it allowed me to keep my business finances in one place. It was easy to use and less expensive than a payroll company like ADP or paychex.

Cons

The accounts in my chart of accounts it setup would sometimes be confusing.

Square Payroll

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Cost and minimizes multiple softwares.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

At the time it made sense for my business to consolidate software into a single suite.
Kaylee

Reviewed on 15/02/2024

On par with most other payroll service providers

It is unfortunate they do not have discounted pricing available to wholesale billing accounts for accountant users. The pricing is higher than most other payroll platforms.

Pros

It is directly integrated with our bookkeeping file without the need for manual inputting entries.

Cons

It does not have the capability to express process payroll for direct deposit. It also does not have the capability to submit source deductions to CRA with each payroll processing like many other payroll service providers do.

Knit

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

I use Knit for most clients, aside from those who started in QuickBooks payroll and were not keen to move over to a new provider.
Samantha
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

Overall A Good Payroll Software for Small Businesses

Pros

Very easy to use for both the employer and employees. You can add different admin users along with changing access, if some admins don't need access to everything. It is very user friendly and walks you through step by step on each and every part of the payroll process. This is the first software I ever used when starting in the payroll department, and had 0% training on it. I was able to navigate my way through it with no help.

Cons

The direct deposit limit is what made me change payroll software. I could not pay all of my employees via direct deposit because of the limit they had on our account.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

The pricing and overall amount of features that you get for the money was amazing.
Kathy

Reviewed on 28/01/2020

QuickBooks review

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great; however, it took me over 30 minutes to get to him. Once I got to him, he was able to resolve my issue pretty quickly. He was very professional and knowledgeable.

Pros

Entering and sending payroll is very easy, generally.

Cons

It is difficult to access some information and not everything transferred over from our desktop version as it should have.

Reviewed on 21/04/2021

Quickbooks Assisted Payroll - Great for small businesses

Overall, it's been great for our company. As mentioned above, their customer service needs some help. Other than that, their payroll service has helped a tremendously, in keeping track of everything needed to comply to State and Federal filing and tax deadlines. I would recommended it as a tool to help ease the work for your payroll person in the office.

Pros

I like the ease of the payroll service. We have a small number of employees, yet prior to QuickBooks, sometimes quarterly payroll taxes were mis-calculated. With QuickBooks Assisted Payroll, we do not ever have to worry about sending in payments, as they are done for us automatically. W-2 are no longer a headache either, they are don't quickly and generated seamlessly.

Cons

When we do have issues, customer service is not to par. They stopped service many of their payroll services and when you do, you do get switched around a lot and many seem to not know the basics of payroll. - I wouldn't recommend their services if you need step by step help on processing your company payroll.

Kim

Reviewed on 18/08/2023

QuickBooks Payroll

Does not satisfy our business needs however, at this time we have to use it to perform payroll, once we find a suitable product we will be cancelling our Quickbooks Payroll.

Pros

Direct deposit was easily setup. Adding a new employee was also easy to set up.

Cons

Hard to find things needed pertaining to payroll, when completing payroll it does not give an overview of what was inputted until after you submit it with out going back to completed screens.

Peggy

Reviewed on 02/02/2021

If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution

Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

Pros

pretty easy to use
set up easily
integrated in QuickBooks Online

Cons

Biggest issues are:
-Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors.
- Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries to read the full manual to figure it out, when in fact, it is a recent programming changes issue.
- Integration with other Apps - You cannot integrate a time card app because only hours are uploaded from app to QuickBooks and we cannot map $/hr pay for contractors, only employees.
Who focuses on contractor payments?
- RECENT "improvements" and rate increase double the cost of the tool for my company.

• Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 14/02/2020

QuickBooks Review

Personally I like quickbooks for the most part. My biggest issue is when I do call customer service for something I always get a different answer to the same question. It seems like most of the customer service reps don't actually know so they tell you what they think is right. It has been so frustrating that if [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] hadn't helped me I would have seriously considered another avenue then keeping quickbooks. I spoke with 6 different people about a corrections case and every time I was given conflicting information to the same question. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was the only rep that has really known what he was talking about and took the time to call me the next day and resolve the issue while also providing with the email to verify he was correct. He did a great job and i truly appreciate him. The res of your reps I have spoken to since March really don't seem to know and when I mention that they are providing conflicting info they blame it on "oh well sorry that person was mistaken." That is not acceptable.

Pros

The ability to run payroll efficiently, early and make edits before payday if need be. Also printing previous pay checks and payroll summary is very helpful

Cons

some of the reports are more complicated than they need to be and the credit card sync is not fluid. it creates too many duplicates when there is a business credit account with multiple cards on the same credit account.

Reviewed on 13/01/2023

You Can't Do Any Better than Quickbooks When It Comes to Managing Your Payroll

Excellent. I owned my business for 25 years and that business was actually a beta tester for Quickbooks when they were first developing a business version of Quicken. If you don't need the cumbersomeness of a double-entry accounting software system, Quickbooks is the first option I always recommend to others.

Pros

It's easy to use and is excellent accounting software for small-to-mid-size businesses that need complete payroll services. The tax tables are regularly updated, the options to file your tax forms via your online accounts is the best.

Cons

The desktop version of Quickbooks is $500/year which is a fair amount of money.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 05/12/2021

Works for our relatively straight forward needs

It's been good, and I would recommend it to other companies that have a similar use case to us (not a crazy amount of employees, and no complicated setup for payments)

Pros

I've had many people tell me that QuickBooks Payroll isn't a "true" or "real" payroll system, but I have yet to experience any major problems.

Our use case is fairly simple / straight forward, and we have 10's of employees, not 100's. In this context it works very well, handles all the tax reporting almost automatically (there is a bit of manual work, but it's trivial) and basically allows us to manage this fairly simply as a small company with not tons of resources.

It handles the direct deposit for our employees nicely as well.

Cons

This is more of an issue with any Quickbooks product, not just Payroll. The UI is not always super clear, and sometimes you have to go to weird places (from a navigation perspective) to find a particular function. Getting our annual forms for employees and the government is always a pain, because it's been a year since it was done last and it takes some time to find where you can do it in the software.

The support is also hit and miss. Sometimes the agent you get is very helpful and solves the problem relatively quickly, and sometimes the agent you get can't even really understand the problem no matter how often you explain it.

Finally my last gripe is that I have to manage the dates to process payroll manually. i.e. Quickbooks knows when payroll has to be run, but doesn't send me any type of notification, so I have to manually track this. It occasionally results in running it too close to a holiday, resulting in staff getting paid a day late, I'd really appreciate it if I got a notice from Quickbooks on the last day to process on time, since it's only one of the many things I have to keep track of.

Laura
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 05/08/2021

Quickbooks Payroll Update removes customization abilities

Over the last 4 years of I have enjoyed the way Quickbooks works with my bank transactions and credit card transactions. I like the variety of reports that can be created and the ease with which bank accounts can be reconciled but the latest updates to payroll have made it impossible to make customizations and has made Quickbooks boss of my payroll. I should not have to have permission from my software provided to make changes to my company's business.

Pros

I have enjoyed the simplicity of using Quickbooks payroll for the last 4 years but the most recent update has made it much more difficult to use. I can no longer make any customizations on my own. I can not exempt employees from taxes we as a church are exempt from paying. I have to call customer service to have all customizations made by them.

Cons

No ability to customize payroll exemptions and no ability to override reminder notices. Our accountant files all of our payroll reports but Quickbooks does not allow to make the tasks as completed if you have not completed the task with their system. I have to call and ask them to archive (even they can not mark them complete) the reminders to remove them from my Home Screen. I am not hiring Quickbooks to be my accountant but to be my software provider and I resent them placing requirements on my use of the system.

William
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 28/10/2020

Been with Intuit for 15+ years their service has gone way done

e loved Inuit Payroll for 20 years but the past 2 years they are terrible. They mistakenly filed our 940 forms twice in 2019 for the same quarter, and then when they file the second one they send you a notice that your payroll was rejected because "SOMEONE" (ah it was you.... dumb a...) filed it. We went through hell last year, getting this resolved and their customer service sucks....bad. We were left to solve the problem on our own. My QB consultant warned me that Intuit payroll is screwing everything up and I should switch to ADP. But, no I did not listen and now they did the same mistake this year. Intuit Payroll why don't you just go out of business or better sell to ADP or Paychex.

Pros

It is easy when it works. But if you need help forget it.

Cons

Customer service is bad, you are ditched when there is an issue and you are on your own

Brianna

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

A God-send for Small Businesses

I would recommend Quickbooks Payroll to new businesses that are looking for an easy way to stay organized and pay bills on time.

Pros

As a cost-plus general contractor, we highly utilize the ERP Integrations System from Procore to create vendors in Quickbooks. Within those vendors, it is easy to enter and pay bills to subcontractors. Creating customer jobs allows us to use job-cost codes to bill our clients. The reconciliation tool helps us double check that our charges match up what is on our monthly statement. Also, the ability to print checks through Quickbooks is useful and looks professional. Probably the most useful tool in Quickbooks is the Profit & Loss tool that allows you to break out individual G/L accounts and easily see your gross income and profit. If our company did not have Quickbooks, we would be so unorganized. Quickbooks is a fantastic software that keeps our expenses, payroll, and vendors organized and stored all in one helpful place.

Cons

The reconciliation tool for credit card charges can be challenging to use and takes additional introduction and training from an accountant to ensure it is being done correctly.

Darcie
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 30/12/2021

Pretty good value but tax and reporting features can be lacking

QuickBook’s Online seemed like a great choice but after 1 year of use, we went back to the fully integrated desktop software. No real issues and certainly no issues with tax payment accruals and the reporting is very detailed. Highly recommend desktop software over online.

Pros

QB’s is user friendly and meets all basic payroll needs without issue. Easy vacation tracking and basic reporting services. Takes about 5 minutes to run payroll for a smaller company.

Cons

A couple of hiccups in the tax payment department using the online version and the reporting was lacking. Customer service was mediocre and took quite a long while to work with for seemingly simple errors that were only correctly handled approximately 50% of the time.

ADP Workforce Now

Cost
MICHAEL

Reviewed on 24/11/2019

Possible issue with using existing payroll subscription to add a client EIN# with the 2020 QB...

Until I started using 2020 program it has been good.

Pros

Tracking income and expenses and simplicity.

Cons

Their sunset policies in general. It appears that with the new 2020 program the option to add a client company to my accountant payroll subscription is not available. I've spent 1.5hr trying to find anything in the web site to indicate this change but there nothing. This company is using deceptive information to add a company, but it only states for 2017, 2018 & 2019. So by not stating 2020 they feel you should infer that it is no longer available. If this is true, then because of this companies sunset policies I will will not be able to provide this service to my clients. Why don't the simply state "This service is no longer available". I will call on the next business day to confirm this poor policy change!

Wissam

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

Horrible Direct Deposit

try it and you will find out.

Pros

It is cheap and integrated with Quickbooks

Cons

Good luck with their new Risk Assessment Department. I have been trying to do Direct Deposit for 3 months in my new company and they cannot get their act together. It is harder than getting a mortgage. My other companies are fine but now they keep asking more and more info to just run $2000 a week in payroll. All because "I am a new company and they front the direct desposit funds".

I really do not care. Any other payroll company can do this. They should state that they do not offer direct deposit for new companies.

Christal

Reviewed on 27/07/2023

Easy Payroll app for Small Businesses

Overall positive experience with QuickBooks payroll. Helpful to get employees and taxes paid fast.

Pros

QuickBooks Payroll is user friendly and easy to use. Setup and onboarding employees can be done quickly and efficiently, Auto feature for running payroll is a time saver. Filing and paying taxes are taken care of in a timely manner.

Cons

I wish QB customer support was easier and faster to access.

Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP
Yvette
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

I should have switched sooner!

I have used Intuit full payroll for years and have been very pleased with them. It was a no brainer to convert from desktop and integrate full payroll with the online quickbooks. Now I can so everything within one program and have assess to my banking transactions! First thing I must say is if you are moving from desktop/intuit full payroll like me, then be ready to back off and let the teams do their jobs. Then dig in and learn the minor changes that are on the software. The customer service has been the best and very helpful!

Pros

I like that it is so accessible and easy. Having been a long time customer of Intuit payroll with my desktop quickbooks the integration of both together has made my life easier!

Cons

The process was more complicated and took longer than I anticipated. I expected my intuit full payroll service to quickly convert to the QBO full payroll. Clearly there are things I cannot see and did not know that took longer. Over all the transition has been very positive. This isn't really a "con" but I would advise future customers to make sure their desktop is completely up todate before they export, then set the desktop version aside and run with the online version. It will simplify your bookkeeping by hours!!!

Laura
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 31/10/2022

Fast, Easy and Simple.

When working with Quickbooks Payroll, it is easy and very straightforward, when it comes to pay roll all you need to do is add your employee's hours and that is it, I had a very tough time with my last payroll company and the set up with Quickbooks was simple and hassle free. Not only that it does not take up much of my time, like as in it is not an all day activity

Pros

The easiest and best thing about Quickbooks Payroll is that when you need to add a new employee, they make it very easy for you and all you need is their information, another Pro with QuickBooks Payroll is that everything is easy and you cannot go wrong because it is so simple.

Cons

A con would be that since everything is so simple people can often mistake it for something else, and mess up, like when you are tyring to take away a employee off of payroll it can get confusing at times.

Vickey

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Would Not Recommend

The above issue was not the only issue I have had with this software/service. They have a good product, but they will not listen to users that have been complaining for years about their support and the difficulty of doing any edits without calling that support.

Pros

I like that it integrates with QBO. It is fast and easy to use. Being able to process payroll the day before is great too.

Cons

I do bookkeeping for churches and use classes to track funds/projects. You cannot assign a class to an employee yourself. You have to call support...which is usually a long wait. Which brings me to my biggest complaint. Some of their support is great, but many are NOT. I called to adjust a payroll period and the support Rep was very rude. I hung up thinking that was a waste of time, but WITHOUT my permission and knowledge she deleted the payroll I had already processed and when she processed it she overpaid an employee $10,000...which drained the church's bank account and cause multiple overdrafts. It took 3 months to clean it up and it was a nightmare! Will never use this payroll service again.