Homebase Reviews

About Homebase

Homebase is a cloud-based time tracking and scheduling solution that helps human resources personnel organize and manage employee schedules, timesheets and payroll. It caters to businesses in industries such as food service,...

Browse Homebase Reviews

1,011 of 1,011 reviews
Cheryl
Cheryl

Reviewed on 17/08/2022

Game Changer

Finally getting up to speed with technology. We had so many issues with our previous time clock provider, I'm so glad we found Homebase!

Pros

Being able to use the software anywhere and have the ability to change the schedule, communicate with staff, find coverage and my staff to always be up to date with what's going on.

Cons

Sometimes staff tell me they don't get notifications of schedule change when I post it.

Crystal
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 09/11/2023

Everyone loves Homebase

Pros

User friendly, highly functional, efficient and effective mobile platform, great customer service!

I've never had an HR or work app that employees and management unequivocally love ... but Homebase hits the mark for everyone!

Cons

Homebase costs us more overall than any other products we've used but it's worth the money.

The "time off" tracking functionality is really basic and not as robust as I wish it was.

Justin
Justin
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 13/12/2023

I regret purchasing Homebase

We are on the essentials plan. We have 45 employees. some of those employees are able to do more than 1 job. some of those jobs are a higher paying position (like bartender vs busboy)

When you hire a bartender at $15 per hour, if that bartender picks up a job as a busboy at $10 per hour - the software won't allow you have that bartender get paid at $10 unless you upgrade to their "plus" plan.

What was not explained was why this just became an issue in december 2023 and was not an issue when we onboarded all employees in september.

for that reason - i will not be renewing and will be sourcing a new sofrware. if i'm going to pay a higher cost, it wont be for the lack of customer service i've recieved to date.

i'll gladly update this review if the team can fix my issue but based on the customer service response i've seen so far...i dont see that happening without me making some noise.

Pros

The price was better than our old provider, wheniwork but maybe it turns out that you get what you pay for?

Cons

Customer service is very limited in what they are willing to say or do and you dont have a rep or salesperson other than when they first try to take your money and get you to sign up. I've sent messages for support or attempted to call or email my old rep that signed me up that went unanswered. When they have been answered - its been covered in technical jargon instead of a simple "yes you can do that by doing this or no, thats not available on your plan.

Top Homebase Alternatives

Lightspeed Restaurant

Time Clock Wizard

Tom
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 11/04/2024

Awesome scheduling and payroll combined! Better than 2 different vendors

SUPER FAST customer service. Knowageable customer services.

Pros

Easy to set up. Awesome onboarding from Homebase team. Saves me time to process payroll. saves me a lot of time and mistakes.

Cons

Not sure..?? one time payroll was delayed because i bank in California collapsed or needed bailed out.

Sara
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Reviewed on 23/01/2024

Integral for streamlining scheduling

Pros

I would not have been able to scale to multiple job sites without the help of Homebase

Cons

I really cannot think of anything. I absolutely love this tool.

Nancy

Reviewed on 06/04/2024

Outstanding program!

Exceptional experience and would highly recommend.

Pros

Very easy to add/remove employees, set up user roles, schedule time. There's nothing to NOT like about using Homebase!

Cons

I haven't found anything about using Homebase that I don't like! Hard to believe, but it's true!

Karen

Reviewed on 08/03/2024

Very Useful App

Our Staff is very satisfied with how easy this app is. They can put in their availability or request a shift off which makes it super easier for me to write the schedule. The app immediately send updates on schedules, so I don't have to send notifications about schedule at all.

Pros

App is easy to navigate. Real fast to send updates about shift trades.

Cons

I don't really have .complains. We are really satisfied

Teresa

Reviewed on 12/03/2024

Homebase Scheuduling

I give it 5 stars. It is really easy to use and I have used other scheduling software.

Pros

I like all of the features with Homebase. I primarily use it for scheduling.

Cons

No Cons with scheduling. This is all I use Homebase for at this time.

Wayne
  • Industry: Public Safety

Reviewed on 02/05/2024

Homebase review for Dartmouth Fire District 2

We were looking for an easy way to track our all the duty shifts, but stay within a budget. This system works very well.

Pros

The ease of use. The layout of all the pages makes it easy to use for everyone.

Cons

Nothing to say in this area. Everything that we use it for works very well.

Rubi
  • Industry: Legal Services
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 03/06/2024

Team Organization

Pros

It allows me to keep track of my teams hours.

Cons

Could be a system that integrates with existing databases.

Peter
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 25/11/2020

Excellent for Restaurants, Hourly Employees

I've used this as an employee, then as a business owner for about the last 7 years. It's really a no brainer if you need a time tracking tool, and it has been upgraded consistently over the years to add more features. The hiring tool is surprisingly solid as well, and helps to market positions quite well.

Pros

I've used this for so long now it is hard to imagine what I'd do without it. We began using it as a simple time clock, and it has slowly become our go to for hiring, time tracking, time off, and employee messaging. If you have a mostly hourly workforce it is super simple to setup, and as your business grows it has helpful and intuitive tools to make your life easier. Their support in my experience can be a bit disorganized, but they always get the job done and are easy to work with.

Cons

Not as helpful for salaried employees as it is for hourly employees in my experience. The lower tiers lack some of the onboarding functionality and digital form filing I'd like it to have, but I think this may have been added recently.

BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Homebase wins handily over BambooHR when it comes to hourly employees, and the value and ease of use it brings to busy workplaces.
Jeff
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

Easy to use, set-up, maintain, interface and adjust.

Exceptional. Set it and forget it.

Pros

The interface/importing with QuickBooks Online. Easy to add time and track PTO, holidays, OT and more. Customization for our business hours was perfect. The cost is lowest I have found for the amount of features. T-Sheets in QBO is too pricey for us. Also the remote clock-in features and mobile app is a big hit with employees.

Cons

Importation of hours into QBO Payroll needs to be adjusted and checked, but having HomeBase open after importing employee time cards makes it simple. Just match 1 to 1 and your good. Also the initial holiday set-up can be a bit tricky but HB customer service is excellent and guided us through it.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Epicor was cumbersome and tricky for HR. That was a longtime ago.

Epicor Advanced MES

Price and Features. Paid Time Off (PTO) feature. Mobile App for remote use
Annsley

Reviewed on 10/03/2021

Overview

It has a lot of great features and I like how you can modify a lot of the notifications to your needs.

Pros

I love how you can do the schedule out as far as in advance as possible but no one sees it until you post it. We have used other softwares that we would have to do a spreadsheet first and couldn't enter anything into the system until we were ready for anyone to see the shifts.

Cons

I would say the only thing I don't like is that we have trouble with the clock in system at one of our locations. Which is weird because it works perfectly fine at our other 3 locations. It doesn't register clock-ins a lot of times so my employees have to text me to clock them in.
I have reached out support about this several times in the past and they just say to delete the app and then reinstall. It works great for about a day and then acts up again.

Marybeth

Reviewed on 24/07/2020

Great POS system for a Sports Bar/ Restaurant

Scheduling is a breeze. I love i can duplicate schedules from weeks or months ago...sure saves time! It is great that I can Blackout dates that no staff can request off. It is great that staff can message each other or let the team know when a shift is available...to switch or cover for another person. I can send out a welcome message to the team when a new employee starts too...super easy to add staff as well!

Pros

It is nice to choose the apps that will work for your type of business. We are a sports bar, and it was perfect for us. It feels so good to not have a bunch of added items you dont use on your POS!!!

Cons

It seems to slow up at times, but it resolves quickly.
I don't like that we purchased a tablet and that will be outdated so it no longer is supported or provided updates. The tablet is convenient, easy to use and we use it for training new staff!

Square Point of Sale and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

it was cost effective for what we wanted to do.
Megan

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

Affordable scheduling software

I use the scheduling portion the most. Once a time-off request is approved, it will remind you when you go to schedule some to work on their scheduled time off. This eliminates scheduling errors. I can also look at each location quickly if I need to shift employees around if I am shorthanded.

Pros

I like that I am able to link all of my locations within one application. I can easily schedule someone for multiple sites and assign specific duties, send messages, approve or decline time-off, etc.

Cons

I do not like that I can't edit someone's information when they take ownership of their account. I have some that forget passwords and not update their personal information like phone numbers and email addresses.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

We had already been using Homebase and it was cheaper.
Scott

Reviewed on 17/07/2020

We LOVE Homebase!

Homebase is the best scheduling platform I’ve used since I’ve been in the business nearly 20 years.

Pros

Homebase has all of the features that our small business needs from scheduling, to forecasting, employee messaging, business development tools, and it is all incredibly intuitive and easy to use! I’ve used several scheduling platforms over the years and we’ll stick with Homebase from here on out!

Cons

There’s nothing to not like about this product. The customer service is top notch so if you ever have an issue, it will be resolved to your satisfaction and they’re always inquiring about potential features we may be interested in.

Jessica
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 08/02/2017

Awesome software!

Okay, so I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS APP AND LOVE THIS PRODUCT. Home base is easy to use, easy to read, easy to understand. The platform is SERIOUSLY DUMMY PROOF! My 9 year old daughter helped me set it up. It is seriously that easy! My 4 year old will open my app and can tell if I forgot to clock out when I left work, and he even knows how to clock me out at the right time! It really is just that simple. I love the restrictions it offers. I can determine whether employees can clock in and out from their app, I can determine whether they can see labor reports, view other employees schedule, and I love the fact that they can request off right from the app, and I can approve or deny right from the app. I love that they can switch schedules and I can approve it instantly from home. This app just has so many great features. I will never use another payroll system again.

Pros

I love that the employees can request time off or switch/trade shifts from their phone and I can instantly deny or approve the request. I love the ease of pulling the time sheets, and reading the time sheets. I love the access to be able to edit employees time on a daily or weekly basis. Employees can be horrible for clocking in early unauthorized, not clocking out to walk down the street to the store, etc. This app makes it simple to edit this carelessness from employees without even having to sit them down and talk to them about clocking in and out. Its kind of like, Okay, you want to take 20 mins to walk down to dollar general and you have already taken your lunch previous, oh and you didn't clock out. Well let me fix that mistake for you. The system tracks tardies, which is awesome, bc after 90 days, anyone who has been tardy more than 20% of their shifts, only gets offered a part time position within the company. This system gives us accurate data to show the employees at their 90 day evaluation, and the data can't be disputed bc it is tracked based on their clock in and clock out times.

Cons

I don't like the fact that there is not room for multiple clock outs under the edit mode. If we do not clock out for an extra break, there is no where to add it. I always have to add the time employees are gone to their lunch break. It give a false interpretation and false data when we pull data from this system for evaluations. I really wish you would update this to add columns for extra breaks, and reasons for the breaks. Also, I wish you would add a column to give explanation for employees that clock in late, miss a scheduled day, or clock out early. This system does not even track early clock outs, just late clock ins. We often find that employees will leave early to take care of things, and sometimes it can become repetitous. I would like to be able to track the data.

Crystal

Reviewed on 08/08/2022

Manage your schedule from the comfort of your phone.

Overall this helped the communication throughout the team and allowed me to easily track my schedule and pay. It was super convenient and easy to use. I was skeptical at first when they had me download the app but then I was obsessed. I think every small business should use this software, it will help your team out tremendously.

Pros

My team used Homebase as a scheduling and communication tool. If we needed a day off, there is a setting to where I can request a teammate to switch shifts with me or I can request cover. This made it super convenient if I needed a day off last minute.

As for communicating with my team, this was the best! When sending out a group message, it allows you to message the people who are only scheduled for a specific day. So if you needed to let the team you're running late or that you need someone downstairs to bring up supplies, etc. I wouldn't need to take time to select the specific people I need to inform, it would automatically pull up those people from the schedule. This software not only lets you message the people you are scheduled with but it also allows you to see who is scheduled that day. I enjoyed this feature because it let me know when I was working with my bestie or my not so bestie.

Another tool I loved on Homebase was the income tracker. This software was able to track when I worked and for how long and would provide an estimate on how much money I have made that pay period. It wasn't hard to find either. This helped my anxiety a lot because I knew if I had enough to pay my upcoming bills or if I needed to pick up an extra shift.

Cons

There is only one thing that I have to say is a con and I think it's more my managers fault. There is a feature in Homebase that allows you to potentially get a small amount of your paycheck early. Unfortunately every time I tried it never worked, but I am pretty sure it's because my manager was against that feature and enabled it. I think this feature is so awesome for employees especially during this inflation period and living in an expensive city.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 10/11/2021

Homebase should be a part of every business that has employees.

Overall, Homebase is a great tool that any business can use and benefit from.

Pros

It's VERY user friendly, makes scheduling extremely easy. Also makes tracking hours and Labor$ easy as well. I also like the option of group messaging which enable s managers to communicate and issues or changes efficiently.

Cons

When an employee fills in their "availability" on Homebase, I personally would do away with the option that says "preferred' and replace it with the word "available" The reason:
whenever I copy a schedule to the following week, I can easily accidently schedule employees on days the did not, or weren't able to work, because the system would allow me to schedule them outside their preference. The way I solved this issue was by telling my employees to put in the availability as "unavailable" that way, whenever I would schedule them on days, or hours, they weren't available to work, the system would only then alert me that they can't work those hours!!
With that being said, I don't understand why the "preferred" option is even there! :) I don't care what they prefer, I want to know when they can't work so I know what NOT to schedule them.
you're welcome :)
I have called in the past, twice, and explained my suggestion, but no one seemed to get what I'm talking about, maybe because they're software engineers and not business managers.

William
  • Industry: Public Safety

Reviewed on 05/03/2021

I could NOT Schedule without Homebase!!!!

I could NOT conduct my scheduling without this product!!! It makes scheduling both easy and fun!!! I can print out my schedules in different views for different levels of approval. I will NEVER use another product!!!

Pros

I love the fact that you can see from start to finish your scheduled shifts. I can see my coverage in advance and adjust on the fly. I love that fact that each employee can have their scheduling without having to come into the office to see a sheet of paper. I schedule out every two weeks, so my staff can see their schedules and even trade with each other if they would like. I can also see who has or hasn’t seen their schedule so I know exactly who to call for clarification.

Cons

I would like to see a way to have real time coverage bars indicating who is on duty with an option to view their time on shift in a bar setting (like the schedule view) so that I don’t have to look at numbers.

UKG Ready, When I Work, Fresha and RedVector

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Homebase is a lot more powerful!

Price and ease of use!
Kelly
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 25/11/2020

Scheduling issues

Pros

Two months ago, I would have given this software 5 stars all around. I think the software is easy to use and loved that I was unable to schedule my staff during their approved request off time.

Cons

The last 2 months have been a huge scheduling struggle. First, when my staff requested off, it would only show the amount of hours on the schedule builder, not the actual times I had to go look up the request off times every week for everyone and write them down to make sure I didn't schedule at times they couldn't work. This was very time consuming. For the last two weeks, the times my staff is requesting off is not what shows up on my schedule builder. Example, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] requested off the evening shift this Saturday, Nov 28th. It showed up on the schedule builder that I approved a request off for the day shift. This has been a huge issue It has taken me so much longer to produce a schedule and I have had to work a lot of shifts that my employees requested off and could not get covered. I am extremely frustrated and am considering looking for other scheduling app options if this situation doesn't get fixed soon. I understand technical issues can occur during updates, but for 2 months?

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

The Eatery & More

Before, our business was using paper schedules and there would always be problems when it needed to be changed for whatever reason. Homebase has helped us better communicated with one another. People can see their schedule where ever they are and can talk to team-members whenever needed. It has been a great asset to our business.

Pros

I like that my team all have access to the schedule as soon as it comes out. The ability for them to request days off on the app is amazing because I do not have to remember all the days, it comes up while I'm making the schedule. The ability for my team to clock in and out on their phones makes it easy and efficient and the ability to track where they did so is very reassuring. Everyone on the team is also able to message on it which means everyone can be in contact even without everyone sharing their phone numbers. The ability for the team to see who they are working with and in what positions is a great bonus too.

Cons

I would love to be able to put on the schedule that we are closed on certain days (for holidays or other reasons) just as a reminder for the team. I would also like an option to remove employees without having to terminate them. In cases with students going back to college but working on breaks or families taking maternity leave, they don't need to notifications from Homebase, but they are still planning on continuing to work later on.

Jake
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 11/07/2019

Underrated Product

5 stars is not enough stars. If you get this product, you'll be thrilled. I only have a small business (2 locations, 6 employees), and I use a lot of the features, but I don't need all of them. But it's clear to me that as we grow, Homebase will be able to accommodate, easily.

Pros

Homebase is easy to use, quick, and effective. There is practically no learning curve for new employees. Scheduling is a breeze, as is running reports for payroll. It gives me quick reporting to see my business performance, even when I'm not there I can see how the shops are performing. Clock-in features work great. Customer service and troubleshooting (not that you'll even need it) are seriously amazing. This team treats you like your problem is their main priority.

Cons

I wish the date selection feature still said the day of the week like it used to. It says July 10 2019, but it used to say Wednesday July 10 2019. I mean... that's all I can think of that I would change... and that's kind of a non-issue.

Dennis
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Reviewed on 28/07/2020

Great for the service industry, not for manufacturing

I enjoy using homebase for the ease of use of my employees and the app, but as amanger it is quite a cumbersome process to fix issues and a time waste of my day almost everyday. I can see the benefit and the future capabilities of this paltform and am sticking with it because i beleive this product will advance and become much better over time.

Pros

The ease of use for my employees to clock in and out. Geofencing

Cons

Three are arbitrary rules in place such as:
1)I cannot select a timeframe longer than 30 days to run payroll for a 31 day month.
2)I cannot clock an employee in earlier than 8 hours a scheduled shift. I have to alter their initial shift to allow for the time slack
3)I cannot have a salaried employee on the schedule without dealing with many issues about them missing their shifts or the annoying other messages after I resolved that issue (I keep them on the schedule so I know when they are supposed to be in as well as an accurate accounting of cash burn)
4)The programming on the front-end seems to be hastily made with many lags and timeouts when updating time cards or trying to perform functions that require the javascript (i think, I haven't opened the developer console on it yet) to perform quickly. basically the server or some other reason keeps it running slow and my function is logged but times out quickly.

Gusto, Basecamp, monday.com and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

the app and the easy to use schedule maker
Martha
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 10/03/2021

If you own a business, you must have Homebase.

It was a life safer for us. one of our employees demolished our former time clock system. I went online to find something to save us, that we could afford, covid 19 had us closed for 2 months. No money coming in.
There your company was, easy to set up, could use any where we could get on internet, we have 10 computers in the building.

Pros

The Time Clock. is very vital to us. Also the fact that it shows the break. It shows me if they didn't clock out for there break. our employees are told when they are hired, if you don't take you break.... thanks for the donation, it will be subtracted from your time.
The scheduling is just as important, people need to know when they work, it is wonderful that it goes to there phones, not just hanging on a wall, for them to say, " I didn't know"

Cons

I really really wish I could copy and paste in the scheduling part.