BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable Reviews

About BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable

BILL (NYSE: BILL) is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). We are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can flourish. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust...

3.9
4.1
3.8

Browse BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable Reviews

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 01/02/2018

Bill.com is THE BEST software for managing accounts payable!

No mailing invoices/checks! The software prints the first page of the invoice on the bottom two stubs of the check. You can also pay your vendors electronically with a simple invite email AND the system emails your vendors to let them know payment is on the way!

Pros

I started using this software solely for its accounts payable function. You send your bills directly to the inbox, attach the document to the bill, then pay! You can even record bills paid outside of bill.com (credit card payments for example). You can also save vendor documents (contracts, W9s) within the vendor files. This software keeps us incredibly organized over multiple locations. HIGHLY recommend! (And it syncs seamlessly with QuickBooks!)

Cons

No cons! Great product! Keeps us organized and allows timely and effective bill payments to our vendors.

Response from BILL

Jennifer, your comment made our day! We're going to share with our product team, who always enjoy hearing positive feedback :)

Replied 16/11/2022
Serguei

Reviewed on 09/06/2020

Great Accounts Payable Software

Overall, great software for managing accounts payable. There are all kinds of dashboards where you can see the status of your payables on one screen which is convenient. Also, the reporting features are great. Very easy to pay company bills. Would definitely recommend to small/midsize business.

Pros

This is a great solution for processing accounts payable in a small/mid-size business. Bill.com has approval workflows which makes it easy to control your payables and avoid fraud. It is super easy to pay bills with a few clicks. The company takes care of all check mailing and ACH processing. Also, vendors can see the status of their payment easily which is convenient and saves you time answering payment status requests from vendors.

Cons

The company recently implemented a new interface which is confusing at times. Also, now screens load very slowly with the new features that they implemented. Also, there is no option to switch back to the old interface which I prefer.

Tipalti

Reasons for Switching to BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable

I've had prior experience using Bill.com and enjoyed using it.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Serguei. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app and we'll be sure to get your feedback up to our product team!

Reviewed on 29/04/2019

New April 2019 Interface HORRIBLE!

My company and I have used Bill.com for several years and it was so easy to use and made our vendor payments a breeze, but now it’s just absolutely awful. My entire finance staff hates the new interface. Nothing is streamlined at all and the way it’s set up now goes against common sense because the flow is just terrible. The bills and the payments section are broken out into 2 different tabs which is so inefficient because you can no longer take a quick glance as to which bill matches what payment without making several clicks to get this info. Also, I can’t see if a vendor check or ePayment has cleared at a glance in the payment tab since I have to click open the actual payment for this info now. There’s so much wasted space where the vendor details used to be when you open a vendor profile. There are just 3 unhelpful lines of vendor info and 90% empty white space which takes up half my viewing screen. When I edit the vendor details, the country of residence is at a section on top instead of being grouped with the address section. When I try to set a vendor up for ePayment, I no longer have the option of finding them by their name+email, now it’s only by their Vendor display name. We work with a lot of vendors where the ‘pay to’ is an agency so we aren’t able to easily connect a vendor for ePayment. I’m going to have my company move to something else since ruined user experience. I don’t know who the developed this new interface, but it certainly wasn’t an accountant.

Pros

I used to think Bill.com was amazing and would have given it a 5 out of 5 just a month ago. However, with the new interface update that rolled out in April 2019 I’m downgrading my rating to 1 out of 5. See my review below.

Cons

The new interface is awful and not efficient AT ALL. See my review below.

Top BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable Alternatives

Maureen
Maureen

Reviewed on 17/02/2024

Bill.com for invoicing and bill payment

Big timesaver in terms of sending customer invoices and paying vendors.

Pros

Sync with Quickbooks Desktop. Ease of sending invoices and paying vendors.

Cons

Occasional sync issues with QB, was able to manage with lengthy support from QB.

Response from BILL

Thank you for feedback Maureen. While sync issues happen, we are always here to assist and get you back up and running quickly. If you need help, please to our website: https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us and request a call/chat or email.

Replied 19/02/2024
Emma
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Bill.com IS a gamechanger for us

BIll has helped us out tremendously. We have over 1000 vendor accounts since we order a ton of internet services for our customers. Since ATT/Spectrum/Frontier/etc etc did not allow direct deposit, our company was forced to send checks to make our payments. We could not do Credit card as the reconciliation can be messy. We have saved so much money on late fees. We are truly grateful for BILL and cant wait for the new features.

Pros

The thing we loved most about bill is the inbox for our bills as well as our payments going straight to our vendors.

Cons

A dark mode for BIll.com would be great. There are times where the inbox is not up to date. When 2 people are entering bills, there is a high chance there will be duplicates being entered.

Response from BILL

We highly appreciate your excellent review, Emma. We're glad to hear that you find our service easy and helpful to use for your businesses. We look forward to serving you for many years to come!

Replied 01/09/2023
Lisa
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 02/04/2021

Saving Time and Money Using Bill.com

We have been very happy with Bill.com. All managers are able to review and approve every invoice and Bill.com has helped us save money by increasing visibility. We have also saved countless hours of work for our accounts payable department since Bill.com com cuts all checks and sends all ACHs.

Pros

There are so many things we like about Bill.com. Implementation was well organized and the Bill.com team was helpful and knowledgeable. Adoption throughout our organization was so quick because the Bill.com system has been so easy to use.

Cons

We had difficulty at first getting Bill.com linked with the POs in our ERP, but the Bill.com team helped us to a full resolution.

AvidXchange and Stampli

Reasons for Switching to BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable

Bill.com was the only program that we reviewed that would work with the POs in our ERP. The other solutions required POs to originate in their systems. We also felt the UI was clean and well-organized.

Response from BILL

We appreciate you sharing your great experience, Lisa. Thank you for your exceptional review!

Thomas
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 27/10/2023

Bill.com = So Easy to Use

Great! I love the simplicity. That's the power of Bill

Pros

Bill.com is easy to setup and is extremely simple.

Cons

Bill.com seems to have gotten very expensive over the past 6 years!

Response from BILL

We thank you Thomas for your five star review! BILL values customer feedback when planning the future of the app. We will pass on your suggestion to our team regarding pricing. We are glad that you find the app simple to use .

Replied 30/10/2023

Reviewed on 16/08/2023

Bill , automate invoices

Something that could stand out and that helps its use a lot is its interface is simple without complicated menus and easy to use, this makes it productive and easy to adapt to new users, since it doesn’t require as much training to become familiar with the platform, in addition to has predefined templates that are ready to use

Pros

What I like about Bill is that it helps to automate finances. In my company we use it to process invoices and it does so in a matter of minutes. I like that it can be done in many ways to upload an invoice from your computer, emails or from your mobile phone with just a photo, Bill is a great help for the digital transformation of finance. He is scalable and can quickly generate invoices. Bill has a track status system that notifies if an invoice has been sent and thus have better control.

Cons

Something I don't like is that customer service is very slow to answer, when you need immediate attention this can be critical, since it delays the process due to long waiting times. A problem I've had is that I can't send many emails since they take it as duplicates, but this is due to the slow response they give in this way.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your excellent review, Adam! We're thrilled to hear that our service has been easy and helpful for you as a new user. We truly appreciate your kind words and we're going to share this with our product team, who always enjoy hearing positive feedback!

Replied 20/08/2023
Kirsten
Kirsten

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Getting better but still needs reporting

Allows routing & approvals that are useful

Pros

The automation and defaults have gotten a lot better. The sync function to QB & Sage Intacct works pretty well and decreases duplicative effort. The security around users and banking is well-designed. The note functionality is great for communicating with my staff and maintaining history. Customer support is generally good.

Cons

The reporting is definitely lacking. Running filtered reports is limited and cumbersome. I end up running huge reports when I only need one vendor's history. The sync function works well when it works, but the sync errors can be really complicated. Sometimes, support doesn't get what you're trying to accomplish - it doesn't seem like they all have experience using the product.

Response from BILL

Kirsten, thank you for providing your feedback on what is working well and areas where we can improve. We apologize for any frustration you may have experienced with our reporting tool and syncing. If you need assistance, please visit our website at https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us to request a call, chat, or email from our customer support team.

Replied 01/09/2023
Melanie
Melanie
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 16/07/2023

Ge

Works great and seamlessly MOST of the the time. Helps to manage accounting and bill payments and seems to be a great time saver that streamlines processes. I enjoy getting paid faster and love having a process I can track along the way.

Pros

My experience with Bill is as an end-user only. I like the ability to create invoices for clients that utilize them for bill payment/accounting. Entering invoices is a simple process and I like that you are able to view and track your payment requests once submitted. The ability to filter invoices is also easy and you don’t have to learn more than you need to depending on which service/feature you use. I don’t use to process payments but as an accounts receivable option, it works great for me and allows me to get paid even faster. The processing fees are reasonable and expedited payments processing is an option that is also reasonable.

Cons

While my experience is limited as an end-user, there have been a few times where my payment requests were not received or were duplicated. Not numerous but when it comes to payment, having it delayed for another reason is longer than most would want. The companies I know that utilize the full suite of offerings seem to be pleased and have used it long term with success.

Response from BILL

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with our app, Melanie. We appreciate your kind words and will share them to our product team. They love hearing positive feedback like this!

Replied 18/07/2023
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 24/01/2023

Mostly a good software.

Customer support is hard to reach via phone.

Pros

Is constantly updating their software. It makes collecting payment from customers who already use bill.com easy and straightforward.

Cons

When I attempted to use the AR function and the sales tax solution it didn't meet my needs. I was unable to make it work, and it was extremely frustrating.

Response from BILL

We're sorry to hear about this experience with our app, we'd love to help out if you're still experiencing any issues. Please do not hesitate to contact our team directly by taking the following path: Log into your BILL account and navigate to Support (lower left-hand corner) and then type in your question in the bot that will appear in the lower right-hand corner. After typing in your question, please select contact support. Thanks again and we look forward to helping you!

Replied 27/01/2023
Barbara

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

Bill.com is my 1st choice for efficient and fully automated AP system!

We are a global company with 1,300+ people in US and internationally. We use Bill.com for all our Accounts Payable in US and internationally. We totally automated Accounts Payable using Bill.com and we have very pleasant positive experience.

Pros

My company is a global company with US head quarters and multiple international locations. In Bill.com, the billing and payment is totally automated. Approval process is excellent. As a manager, I get regular emails for bill approval. I can approve, disapprove, make comments and they go to user right away. The system is especially useful for companies with international locations and multiple US locations like my company. With Bill.com, all accounts payable is centralized and automated. We also managed to save a lot of staff costs with Bill.com. As AP is automated, we use finance staff from Eastern European locations to process AP using Bill.com. This is significant cost savings. First of all, with Bill.com the AP process and related approval is totally automated which minimizes staff costs. We are able to use finance staff for AP where wages are 3-5 times lower than US. Overall, this is a great system and my choice # 1 for AP automation!

Cons

Bill.com is a great system. I really don't think of any disadvantages. I just encourage Bill.com to develop and process more with newest financial innovations like automation and machine learning.

Response from BILL

That's great to hear, Barbara. We'll be sure to pass on your positive sentiments to our product team.

Replied 16/11/2022
Lora
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

It enhances companies' capabilities to manage financial affairs efficiently

It is certain that Bill.com has increased our capabilities and efficiency in processing bills through one system, as all processing operations are carried out through one platform, and all operations have become easy to follow, which helped us save time and effort.

Pros

Bill.com is a magical solution for presenting and documenting invoices via e-mail. This enables us to approve invoices, obtain the required approvals for them, and include them in the records directly, without the need to wait for the paper copy, which may take days or weeks to arrive. I really appreciate how Bill.com's advanced automation has made processing processes smooth and fast, and has made fully automated AP processing much easier. I like very much the ease of modifying fields as needed and the export and import options, as this enables us to obtain the reports we need in detail, and I greatly appreciate the search and filter capabilities available in Bill.com, which enable us to search in multiple databases and extract the bills we need as we want.

Cons

Since I started using Bill.com, I have not encountered any technical problems, as all the tools are easy to use, and the services of the Bill.com support team are very excellent, as they have responsive technical support.

Response from BILL

Lora, your comment made our day! We're going to share with our product team, who always enjoy hearing positive feedback :)

Replied 02/01/2023
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 20/04/2021

Bill.com (BDC) is ready to help with Accounts Payable, but...

I am just 2 months in on bill.com (BDC). It has taken this 2 months just to analyze our existing data and move what we want (import) to BDC from our existing programs. We want to synchronize expense work from data entry into BDC to moving the detail over to QuickBooks (QB) where we keep our accounting data. It is not as easy as it sounds.

Pros

Bill.com (BDC) is a full-featured software program that will simplify recording vendors and paying bills but...
BDC is not as simple as it appears. We are excited to learn all that BDC has to teach us. See Cons....

Cons

To fully engage all the features of bill.com (BDC) one has to be ready to do the prerequisite work in cleaning up a company's existing records. We are using the BDC support team and our own accountant to gradually restructure our accounts payable-expense side of operating as a nonprofit organization. This has been laborious and frustrating at times. A major drawback is encouraging existing vendors to accept payment from BDC. Generally, people are guilty of 1. ignoring emails; 2. misreading emails; 3. not following clear directions.

Response from BILL

Hi, we're sorry to hear about this experience with our app, we'd love to help out if you're still experiencing any issues. Please do not hesitate to contact our team directly by taking the following path: Log into your BILL account and navigate to Support (lower left hand corner) and then type in your question in the bot that will appear in the lower right hand corner. After typing in your question, please select contact support. Thanks again and we look forward to helping you!

Reviewed on 25/11/2019

Business Practices and Customer Service make product AWFUL

The WORST! Bill.com has done nothing but lie to me about their international payments. They lied about comparable exchange rates. They processed an international payment, showed it as "cleared" and then held it for several weeks forcing me to provide additional information on the payment. The vendor never received it and I have still not received the funds back over 2 weeks later. Be careful using their systems as they can hold your funds and really mess up your cash flow.

Pros

The product is good. It's what accountants need...that's it.

Cons

Having to deal with Bill.com customer service in any aspect.

Response from BILL

We're sorry to hear about this experience with our app, we'd love to help out if you're still experiencing any issues. Please do not hesitate to contact our team directly by taking the following path: Log into your Bill.com account and navigate to Support (lower left-hand corner) and then type in your question in the bot that will appear in the lower right-hand corner. After typing in your question, please select contact support. Thanks again and we look forward to helping you!

Reviewed on 04/08/2018

Stay away from vantage card services

Pros

I’ve never had an issue with billl.com, I’d give a 10/10. The problem is that they only allow you to process credit cards through vantage card services who are a total mess and their managed team gave me inaccurate information several times.

Cons

Bill.com need to add other credit card processors besides vantage. They need to audit vantage card services complaints from bill.com customers because they’re going to lose a tonne of business.

Vantage card services are a tiny company processing millions of dollars of credit cards, but the joke is that they only have two layers of their org.

1.) customer service is the first people you speak to and they literally can’t resolve any issues, so you need to speak to a manager and they only have 1 manager called.
2.) they made several mistakes and I asked to speak to someone above it’s our ceo and he isn’t available. They do not car about their customers and they do not own up about making mistakes

Bill.com you need to vet out vantage and listen to your loyal customers

Ravi
Ravi
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 11/09/2023

A good product for small companies with lots to track

We continue to use it for the controls and time savings, the support is some of the worst I've ever experienced though.

Pros

This product is great for companies that need to pay large swaths of invoices, keep track of them, and cut time spent in quickbooks doing bookkeeping for AP.

Cons

This product is more expensive if you run under 20 payments/month that something like a milio (built into to quickbooks online).

Response from BILL

Thank you Ravi for providing feedback. We appreciate hearing that our software works for paying large groups of invoices, tracking them and is integrating well with QuickBooks for you. We apologize for any frustration reaching out to support has caused. If you need assistance, you can reach our customer support by going to our website: https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us and request a call/chat or email

Replied 12/09/2023
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 29/03/2023

Bill.com saves us hours each week!

overall, we are thankful it was recommended to us bc it saves time and helps with record keeping

Pros

The automation of bill payments, invoicing from staff for reimbursements, direct deposit options, and that we no longer print any checks ourselves, this along has saved us hours each month. Also, keeps track of all payments for tax purposes.

Cons

Sometimes it syncs with QB but there are errors. Bill.com no longer syncs with Expensify, which adds another layer of work for us if reimbursements are in Expensify.

Expensify and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable

Cost, set up and synch with other systems

Response from BILL

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased that customers like you have an amazing experience with BILL.

Replied 31/03/2023
Louis

Reviewed on 01/05/2018

Though a bit pricey , Bill.com offers a unique stand alone , automated website based accounts...

We as a company relished the idea of using a stand-alone website-based system to automate our accounts payable and receivable and found Bill.com.
Bill.com is almost peerless as it offers convenient integration with Quickbooks online that we use regularly. We can now create invoices and have customers pay online, as well the ability to create particular ACH accounts which allow for direct payment into our account as opposed to a percentage of the transaction assessed so often by other companies offering similar services. Customer service access was difficult to help support our usage of some record keeping tools however in our final analysis if a company is just focusing on accounts payable and receivable and NOT a complete financial system, Bill.com fits the bill.

Pros

We absolutely loved the immediate integration with quick books online.
Our company found the user interface extremely easy to understand and even easier to use with well written executed menus and graphs.
Invoices are easy to compose and customers are afforded the ability to pay online which we found ultra convenient.

Cons

The cost structure we find a bit pricey for the more enterprise orientated company models.
As a company wants to integrate with other systems like Intacct or Netsuite, prior membership is required.

Guru
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 03/10/2023

Aspects of Bill.com

Pros

1. Ease processing2. Approval Workflow3. Payment processing4. Initiate ACH invite

Cons

Easy to access the tool and easy to integration with another applications

Response from BILL

Guru, thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that approval workflows, payment processing and inviting vendors to use Epayments are working for you. We apologize for any frustrations that may have occurred when trying to access our software and integrating with other applications. If you need help with anything, you can reach our customer support by going to our website: https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us and request a call/chat or email

Replied 10/10/2023
Amir

Reviewed on 01/10/2022

Bill.com review

Pros

Ease of use
Value
Does the job
User interface

Cons

Limited functionality
Support can be lkmited at times

Airbase

Response from BILL

We're glad that you have a great experience, Amir. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your review.

Replied 14/11/2022
Samuel

Reviewed on 28/12/2022

Great Software for AP

Bill.com helps speed up our workflow with Accounts Payable, for many bills it reads the bills and auto-fills the fields, which I love!

Pros

Bill is a great software for Accounts Payable, it is very robust and customizable and makes my work more efficient.

Cons

The Accounts Receivable side of Bill is decent, but it is somewhat glitchy, expecially in the integration with QuickBooks and we also have customers who say an invoice is showing as unpaid on their end when it is actually paid. There is deffinately room for improvement on the AR side of things.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Samuel. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app and we'll be sure to get your feedback up to our product team!

Replied 05/01/2023
Anne
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 06/05/2022

Bill.com review

Bill.com solved a problem for us needing AP software but after 2 years we found that there were much better products out there for a fraction of the price of bill.com.

Pros

The ease of use for the inbox and being able to break apart multiple invoices in one document.

Cons

There is no customer service phone number, only chat or email. All problems I had were tremendously annoying to have to try and type out. The last big change to the platform took away security approval features. I was able to cut checks with no documentation which is not a good feature to have.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Anne. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app, and we'll be sure to get your feedback raised to our product team!

Replied 14/11/2022
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 21/06/2019

Horrible Customer Service and Support ... or Maybe it was Just "Rep"

I originally got a recommendation to Bill.Com from a member of the Facebook associated with the community that I organize, and opened up the account to take payments from members either making donations, or purchasing items for a relief fund for rideshare drivers in the area. About a day later, I got a request from a "Rep" for several documents to continue using the account.

I'm not sure what triggered the request, as the person who recommended it doesn't require having ever been asked for them, but they were mostly pretty standard: photo ID, passport, and most recent bank statement, along with an EIN certificate and a copy of our "business license".

I'm a sole prop, using a social in lieu of an EIN, perfectly capable of presenting my docs and bank account statement, which I did. I then reminded her that I wouldn't be using an EIN, and asked for clarification about the rather generic "business license" request (a quick Google search will show you that that's not how it works in our state). I offered that maybe she meant one of two other things, and said I'd grab those once she confirmed

Did she? Course not. She ignored EVERY attempt I made at clarification, and then closed the account, citing that they don't let "consumers" create accounts. I reminded her that I was a sole prop, like a freelancer, using his social, and that didn't make me a "consumer"; I also reminded her that I'd asked for clarification and she just repeated, "send the documents". AVOID at all costs.

Pros

It seemed like a great product for what we needed.

Cons

What began as simple verification devolved into a Kafkaesque interaction with a chatbot.

Matthew

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

good product, poor service

Good platform but can't get over the lack of service. Considering leaving

Pros

A sizable amount of time has been saved elimination paper checks for my medium sized retail business.

Cons

I had a couple simple questions regarding international payment options and could not be more displeased with the attempt at customer service. The fact that there is no phone service is always a red flag to me. They attempt to not service you at all with guides for FAQs but if you have a very specific question you will not find your answers. I needed 30 seconds of service and it took me 30 minutes. Very unhappy.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Matthew. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app, and we do apologize for the inconvenience you experience regarding our customer support. We will be sure to give your feedback to our product team!