Causal Reviews

About Causal

Causal is a business planning platform built for number-crunching, financial modeling, business planning or anything involving calculations. It includes live data integrations (accounting systems, CRMs, etc), and interactive...

Browse Causal Reviews

Jarrod
Jarrod

The Death of Excel?!

At first I thought they were tongue in cheek about killing the spreadsheet, however they have just about achieved this in our business! Credit to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and the whole Causal team.

Pros

The Causal platform is seriously intuitive, with constant product updates only serving to enhance its capability. The product team are always so gracious in receiving feedback and work genuinely to incorporate feature requests into subsequent releases. From a modelling perspective, I love how Causal encourages you to think about models in terms of inputs, calculations and outputs. I also love the way it handles dimensions and scenarios. The ability to link to other data sources is a seriously handy feature. However, the standout feature for me is the presentation mode, which enables you to update inputs live with stakeholders and see the resulting outputs in real time.

Cons

I honestly can't fault the platform. Every bug or frustration seems to be resolved in the following release.

Mads
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

A whole new way of modelling

I have really enjoyed working in Causal. I find it intuitive and easy to use. The customer support is great as well and I often get a reply within minuttes.

Pros

I no longer have to maintain large and complex spreadsheets and I can model new scenarios in seconds.

It's very easy to change variables and see the effects right away.

I've used the software to present business cases to investors and banks with great success, and I do not loose participants in complex spreadsheets no longer.

Cons

There is still plenty of features that could be added to the software and I hope in the future more templates will be availiable.

Carley
  • Industry: Sporting Goods
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

Causal is so easy to use!

Pros

Causal allows for easy integration with accounting software like Quickbooks Online. The customer support has quick communications and really takes user feedback. Originally, The software would only use accounting on a Cash basis and when I informed them of this, they fixed the bug within a few days and allowed for us to bring in our reports from QBO on an Accrual basis.

Cons

My only suggestion would be to have more tutorial videos!

Top Causal Alternatives

Nikhil
  • Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Simple-to-use + Powerful Way To Build Models

Really simple-to-use for modeling and visualizing our fund model. We ended up screen-sharing Causal during pitch presentations because it looked so professional and well put together.

Pros

It's really easy-to-use to build a model, visualize it, edit it.

Cons

I wish I could import an Excel file and automatically have it build the model. It does take some time to build the model initially.

👀 Niels
👀 Niels

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

Smart spreadsheet modelling for your startup

Pros

Causal offers advanced modelling in a user friendly way. The way you can build models, connect to other models and create interactive dashboards (which you can share) is really powerful.

It works a bit different but also very similar compared to spreadsheets. It gives you the power you miss in your spreadsheet with the easy to use variables. When using Causal you instantly wonder: Why can't my spreadsheet do this?

Using multiple scenarios and ranges really help you get a better understanding of the direction your are moving. On top of this you can compare forecasts vs. actuals, which is useful.

Causal has a lot of (hidden) gems and I'm pretty sure we only use 25% of its capabilities.

Finally their support is superb. Always happy to help you, you can book consultants to help you build your model when you are stuck or need some help. Highly recommended.

Cons

Initially we didn't like the speed of Causal. Having a few large models made it quite slow to use. Along the way they did improve a lot in their speed. Seeing continuous updates on this area gives a lot of trust in the product.

Also the interface can quite daunting when working with multiple models and large data sets. When you come back after a while it takes some time to remember how it worked and how everything was tied together. But that said, I think this is also inherent to the complexity of your topic / model.

Sharing different versions of your model can be improved. It's quite easy to share, but it would be nice to freeze certain versions you have send out to investors for example and maybe lock them with a password. The exporting functionality wasn't really powerful, sometimes you want to share a PDF only but the layout and content wasn't satisfying to us.

• Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Makes scenario planning so much easier

Excellent. As someone who has built models for a living, Causal is an exceptional tool that just lets you create amazing dynamic models. With models, variables can constantly change. On excel, you have to remember the 19 different places you have to update each variable for it to continue working, or build in that slack from the beginning. With Causal it takes seconds.

Pros

The ability to have different scenarios and quickly adjust variables to see how that changes the model. Creating models can be quicker than Excel, but the model would be far more superior in terms of how dynamic it is as well as being able to share with others

Cons

Export functionality is a bit limited currently. Unable to properly export to excel or display graphs/charts in an PowerPoint / Google Slides.

Naitik
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 25/03/2021

Excel lifesaver!

Causal helped us turn a loaded, mostly static Excel model into a highly interactive and flushed out model that we can use to run our business. It's helped us visualize the main levers for our business, in a way that I can share and translate with the rest of the team as well.

I had spent 2-4 weeks building our Excel financial model. I built the whole thing out (and much more) in Causal in about 4-7 days of time total. For most financial models I'll work on from now on, I don't think I'll use Excel again. Thanks again for creating this gem of a product!

Pros

- Ability to visualize data with interactive inputs
- Ability to input ranges of values for different scenarios
- Working with formulas was 100x easier than Excel. Was able to spot inaccuracies and logical flaws pretty intuitively.

Cons

- The product's still quite new, so there are small bugs here and there in different nooks & crannies of the product. On the plus side, the team's been ultra-responsive to fix these.
- The setup process took some time to wrap my head around how Causal treats cells, formulas, categories, etc; but once I had the basics down, the build time was super fast.

Nicolle

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

Innovative and easy to use software for financial modelling

Causal feels like the perfect tool in which to build our multi-year business forecast. It's easy to use and the output feels high quality - it will be impressive to potential investors! I appreciate how responsive the team has been to my feedback, and they roll out useful new functionality on a regular basis.

Pros

Easy learning curve - you can be up and running building your own models very quickly. Innovative pre-set formulas and functionality make certain things that are tricky to model in excel very easy in Causal - such as ramp function and cohorts. The visuals workspace allows you to see the results of your model quickly and easily. And the scenario functionality is so useful to play with inputs and display results without having to recreate entire models multiple times.

Cons

Formula writing is different from excel so it takes a bit of getting used to. If you're used to quickly navigating around Excel using shortcuts, it's a bit slower in Causal as you need to use your mouse a lot more in order to click into cells or set up categories.

Adam

Reviewed on 18/06/2021

A simple modeling tool

Pros

Simplicity is great and they continue to add more sophisticated features at a great pace.

Cons

It’s somewhat limited in its capacity in certain situations. They have a couple of use cases in mind which makes things somewhat difficult to apply to my unique case.

Reviewed on 18/06/2021

Financial modelling, but so much faster

Pros

Super quick and easy to build models, far easier to come back and edit them than in Excel or similar tools.

Cons

A bit of a learning curve at the start, and there are a few features that I think are still to come.

Héctor

Reviewed on 16/03/2021

Tell your spreadsheet that you're not getting back together

Way better than Excel of Spreadsheet. Now I can build better financial models.

Pros

Now I make financial models 10X faster and better. The way causal re-made how financial modeling works is just genius. I stopped using excel for myself and my clients and now I can really focus on what matters: the inputs of a financial model, not the formulas or the graphs; because Causal manages all that for you.
Also, their customer support is amazing, they are always helping and available. I never feel alone while building my models

Cons

It still has some minor bugs and their front-end could improve. It also takes some time to learn, but once I learned the basics, it's very easy to build new models.

• Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 19/06/2021

Financial Modeling for Dummies

We have been using Casual as a client facing tool for prospects to run their own ROI calculations without having to send a spreadsheet so it has really helped with that. In addition, early on, the support team was amazing to help us with any question we had!

Pros

The ability to run scenarios in a drag and drop format was one of the greatest benefits. Instead of creating formulas in excel, you simply input the model you'd like to run against and it calculates all the different scenarios.

Cons

There is a learning curve in understanding the interface, the variables, and how they play together. Then the ability to share the model and how that is presented takes some time to fine tune.

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

Watch your back, spreadsheets.

Huge fan, keep up the good work.

Pros

Causal makes it effortless to build incredibly complex models. I can create in hours what would have taken me days in Excel.

Cons

The product is early stage, so parts of the Admin UI (like project management) are buggy and underdeveloped.

• Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Financial modelling with ease

Great software which provides excellent value for money. It has been a great tool for decision making based on forecasts.

Pros

It is very easy to use cloud based software using plain English formulas which allows for quick building of models but offer the ability to build complex models with depth.

It greatly reduces the the risk of error in formulas when compared to typical Excel based modelling, and it also has great features such as present mode which allows stakeholders to play with a model without breaking it.

Cons

Initial setup requires some added time, however that is to be completely expected with software such as this when it comes to importing and building a model for the first time.

Mickey

Reviewed on 22/06/2021

Great planning tool with growing features

Pros

I like how straightforward and easy it is to use. Whenever a function is missing or help is needed, their support team is always ready to help us by being incredibly responsive.

Cons

If the model is set up in an inefficient way it can become incredibly slow.

• Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

Excel pimped out in the best way possible

Support is amazing! Any questions I had were met with an immediate response.

Pros

Causal is a powerful tool, well built, and allows you to build an impressive looking dashboard with ease. The dashboards are very aesthetically beautiful and sleek.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve on how to use the software, but once you get it (a lot of similar functions to excel), then it becomes a very powerful tool to use.

Cole

Super Useful

Pros

Causal has made it really easy to make forecast and give us a good idea where we are as a company for our own action items. On top of that, we also use it for showing our investors.

Cons

The software is so complex, at first it was difficult to learn everything that it could do and how to use it best.

Jaideep
Jaideep
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 20/06/2021

Much better than excel for collaborative financial planning & reporting

Pros

The visualizations are very handy as are the data links which allow for models to always incorporate the most recent historical data

Cons

A bit of a learning curve especially when sharing a Causal model with new users