Microsoft SharePoint Reviews

About Microsoft SharePoint

Microsoft Sharepoint is a knowledge and content management system (CMS). The product also provides collaboration tool capabilities. The solution offers typical CMS features like document and digital asset management, case and...

4.2

Oscar
Oscar

Reviewed on 25/08/2022

Great collaboration tool

We have done quite well with the tool.
Little by little we have been using more and more functions.
It has helped a lot with the backups and the rotation of personnel that are in the organization.

Pros

We managed to unify in a single platform the management of business documents.
It also gives us a good amount of space, 1TB in total, independent of storage per user.

Cons

Collaboration with third parties still seems a bit complicated to me, we have had some problems with the access of external collaborators and we have to be aware of the permissions.

Google Workspace

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft SharePoint

It was a combination of factors, including the amount of storage and the combined costs. For example, it was more convenient for us to migrate to Microsoft since it included Office 365 licenses and mail with greater capabilities.

Google Workspace and Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SharePoint

As I mentioned before, it all comes down to capacity and cost. It is important to management to be able to get more for less, at least when we combine all the capabilities of both products together.
Gloesha

Reviewed on 06/05/2024

Love the familiar file and folder management

I find Microsoft SharePoint a great way to work collaboratively across countries and locations. Documents update real time and you can see what's going on as soon as you open a doc.

Pros

SharePoint is easy to use, particularly if you've been a Microsoft user before. I love that you can move a document to a new folder and the original link you may have shared will still work.

Cons

Sometimes hangs, which is frustrating. But is pretty reliable the vast majority of the time.

Connie
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 26/06/2018

Works well for the right environment

I know some larger companies rely heavily on Sharepoint, but they can afford to have high-level IT programmers and developers to manage a Sharepoint farm. Our migration from 2007-2010 cost us 5 years ago and in spite of getting some hands-on guidance to redesign some of the data entry forms/types to suit our needs, I wasn't able to pick this application up and run with it like I can with others. Infopath was supposed to help w/the forms, but then I saw MS was dropping it in more recent editions. We got Sharepoint as part of our O365 upgrade, but in trying to set it up as just a collaboration repository/staff intranet site, I realized I was going to have to make a significant investment of time and found support from our O365 provider and our IT managed services provider VERY lacking. We already moved on to another application for managing work orders and projects, so I think there's a much simpler "Intranet" tool out there that will be much easier, cost-effective, and flexible for us to manage for the limited needs we have for it now.

Pros

Part of the Office platform and integrates with other MS apps. Offers somewhat simple setup to build a collaborative space.

Cons

Requires a specialized and expensive vendor to truly manage and ensure security of the environment. We used it for work orders between departments, but alerting was not ideal -- duplicate alerts triggered by setting alerts to fire under different circumstances. We've used SP since about 2007 and I've built lists and integrated it with a database and a couple of 3rd party applications built to work with it. I'm pretty much self-taught in all network and user applications (Windows server/AD, Exchange, and MS power user), but I struggled with trying to set up custom forms and found some of the lists inflexible. For example, my HR "portal" had to be set up as separate lists based on what Sharepoint would allow -- one that allowed me to upload documents, another to manage URL/links to external sites.

Top Microsoft SharePoint Alternatives

Alfresco Digital Business Platform

Derek
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 04/03/2024

Microsoft SharePoint for government

I have used Microsoft SharePoint for multiple years and it has enhanced our organizations productivity. It has made it easier to collaborate, share files, and organize pertinent information for our staff.

Pros

How easy it is to create SharePoint sites. Prior to SharePoint, our intranet was managed by our IT department. This created challenges when you needed to update or change things on the site. Moving our Intranet to SharePoint gave us the ability to manage our intranet ourselves. It is very easy to create SharePoint sites and manage them. You don't need to know how to code websites.

Cons

There really isn't anything to dislike about SharePoint. It is a great product for any business.

Reviewed on 05/05/2024

One of the most handy organizational tools at the office

SharePoint has saved me a lot of valuable time throughout my career through hosting of reports and projects.

Pros

Hosting of projects which users can access and view from anywhere at any time, hosting eliminates emailing project work or presentation to a distribution list, ease of use.

Cons

Took a long time to get to know all of the useful ins and outs because there's so much functionality, but have been using for years so no problem at all.

Fernando
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 24/11/2023

Not complet

It must improve in file explorer option. As a Microsoft product, I think they will improve in managements files.

Pros

Fast search files, great store option in cloud

Cons

Difficult to navegate on the platform. Maybe, a good option will be use a file explorer like in windows system.

Dropbox Business and Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SharePoint

Because it's Microsoft and I consider is the best platform for allocated files and data in cloud system.
Tucker

Reviewed on 22/02/2024

SharePoint, a good addition to 365, but not the best out there

Fair, it was easier to adjust to this platform but lacks the features we are looking for

Pros

Able to collaborate with teammates easily, low education barrier, editing features were good

Cons

Not a nice looking UI, tracking changes is not efficient, and it could be organized nicer to show progress of certain files

Reviewed on 30/04/2024

SharePoint has potential

Pros

Sharing is mostly functionally reliable and is great for collaboration on Office 365 files.

Cons

Sharing methods within the interface and SharePoint site navigation could be simplified or improved. Syncing with OneDrive is also a bit confusing for users. The amount of options needs to be reduced and user-friendly language for essential functions needs to be redone.

Emma
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 13/05/2024

The best file management tool

Very positive, I would not use anything else for file management.

Pros

It is easy to keep your files synchronised with others in order to collaborate on things all all be able to access the same versions.
You can also invite people to edit your documents or share with them to view only.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about Microsoft SharePoint.

Virginia

Reviewed on 29/04/2024

Indispensable for project collaboration

Pros

SharePoint is widely used in my company since it gives you the opportunity of having a common repository where keeping sensitive or reserved files. it's easy to use and helps you customize the public to which give the access to certain files or folders. It helps collaborate to project and to have always the latest updated version of the files without having to exchange it in other ways. You can also customize the color of the folder to be more organized in the environment

Cons

Its design is quite minimal and sometimes browsing in it, if you have a lot of folders in different places, can be not so immediate.

Peter
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Sharepoint as a secure file sync and share platform

I have personally had mix results. We ultimately made the decision because of the blended Office 365 costs, reducing our FSS-specific contract with a 3rd party vendor, who happened to be a leader in the space and had a far richer UX.

Pros

I like the integration with the microsoft cloud and the ability to share and concurrently edit from shared, sharepoint websites we use to share with internal and external stakeholders.

Cons

It seems like security is a big concern and user experience is not up to par with other FSS solutions like Box/Dropbox.

Box

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft SharePoint

The switch was made predominately due to budget. The Microsoft 365 Enterprise package was able to hide the actual cost of FSS, which was an additional line item for the Box platform. It made it almost impossible to stay with Box.

Box

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SharePoint

total cost of ownership (vs. using multiple providers).
Andrea
Andrea

Reviewed on 21/10/2020

Collaboration, backup and automation

Sharepoint has allowed me to be more efficient in different ways, with many of its functionalities, I generally hope that one of them will allow me to make a process more collaborative, controlled and at the same time automated.
Currently the entire organization has access to use the software, in the same way the introduction and migration to Sharepoint from local servers has been gradual, mostly due to people's resistance to something new and unknown. In my department specifically, has been a greater acceptance, integration and discovery by constant learning by some team members who are not exploiting all the advantages of the software yet.

Pros

Permission management: This is super relevant and wonderful for controlling what your audience can see and do, for example, when you need someone to constantly see changes to a "living document" but not have the ability to intervene in the process.

Contact groups: I find it super good since not necessarily the site administrators are the only ones who can manage the group, you can make any member of the group can manage the rest of the members without this being involved in other site settings . Also when granting permissions, distributing documents, announcements, tasks, it is very easy to do it by group of contacts than one by one.

Version history: We know that we are exposed to errors and accidents, so having the previous versions of a document, being able to see who has modified and having the possibility of restoring any of those versions can save the day. I always feel that I am protected and that is why I always promote working in the cloud.

Cons

Please provide some detailed examples of areas where MS SharePoint has room for improvement. These could be features that are hard to use, missing functionality, or just things that you'd like to see done differently.

Modern view / classic view: I really appreciate the minimalist change that has been made with many of the menus in the latest versions of sharepoint, but most of the time it complicates me and generates many more clicks (much more time) wanting to do one This action can be done by changing to the classic view from the ribbon, for example, managing permissions for a site, being able to manage sharepoint groups.

A little more advanced configurations, without becoming complex that depend a lot on the IT department.

Descriptions of some options or settings can become confusing, complicated and you simply are not able to know if it is what you are looking for or not, the language to the user is sometimes understood only through trial and error.

mupo
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 10/04/2021

Corporate File Sharing System

My experience with SharePoint has been positive as it allows for the central storage of all business-related documents and permissions. It removes the need for duplicate emails with huge files. Alternatively, we easily upload files and swap a SharePoint link, which we can all use at the same time. The user interface is fantastic but requires training for beginners. Overall, getting it is a smart thing because it helps with tracking.

Pros

SharePoint is an excellent tool, but due to a large number of features, it can easily be overlooked by those new to the app. The thing I loved about SharePoint is that you can easily upload documents, and search the documents. This made it easier for users to upload files easily and share a link to the file. Using this platform allowed quick access to files from any location, which was previously not possible due to files being stored on a local server.

Cons

I had difficulties setting up local use/offline SharePoint, which proved to be a concern, but the online version works well. Another problem I discovered with the program is that it becomes difficult to trace files as many people upload them.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SharePoint

Google Drive lacks certain features that SharePoint has. The ability to build different templates for different projects, delegate tasks, assign appropriate roles to users, and upload documents easily. Another advantage of SharePoint that Google Drive lacks is access to a number of web pages and the ability to create a corporate portal.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 06/07/2021

It's the standard, but...

Upload speeds can be slow, but we've managed to use Sharepoint folders as helpful places to store, transfer, and collaborate on files. Some team members miss the simplicity of dropbox or google drive, but we're managing with Sharepoint.

Pros

The 365 suite is the standard for many organization with cloud based team work, and it does allow for this in some ways that weren't around a decade ago. It works - you can share files between team members, and that's the key thing.

Cons

It's not as intuitive as it should be. Maybe I'm too used to other ecosystems, but I find that Microsoft products have too many ways to get to the same common places, and then convoluted ways to get to specific places. In my use and rollout of it, almost every meeting has a few minutes of "where is that file again?" or "Oh, I thought I put it in the main folder, but it must be over here somewhere...". We can usually get it to work, but it's not a seamless experience, and it's Sharepoint feels less like a great tool to use and more like a necessary evil if you're in the 365 world.

Reviewed on 06/01/2022

THE online sharing platform

Very, very satisfied as our customers are. Some things could be smoothed out, but overall the experience is positive.

Pros

Very fine access control and permissions, great interoperability and integration with everything and guest users. Solid cloud platform.

Cons

The sharing logic sometimes implies less than intuitive rules "a guest user cannot delete the files he uploaded" and so on, upon which you can stumble a bit. Then as with every Microsoft product, the strong capabilities are there, but finding a good online reference or manual to really leaverage them isn't always easy.

AWS Lambda, AWS CloudFormation, Google Drive and Google Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft SharePoint

We switched because our customers grew and so their online collaboration needs, and Google couldn't deliver enough flexibility and reliability.

Google Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SharePoint

Stability, ease of use, consistency, number and depth of features, integration capabilities.
Ashley

Reviewed on 19/05/2022

SharePoint for small businesses

Not all of our employees use SharePoint because there can be confusion between platforms. The concept of file sharing and working in real-time is excellent, as well as how it's integrated with the other Microsoft Programs. However, the way it is designed leaves a lot of room for error or lost files.

Pros

Multiple people being able to access and work on a document is helpful, especially with people working remotely. It eliminates multiple files being emailed back and forth, and reduces the chance for error. The most up-to-date version will always be the one available. It integrates with all other Microsoft products.

Cons

The concept can be confusing to some, when trying to differentiate if it's a cloud, what is different about it from OneNote, how to save files, etc. I believe files could be misplaced or have multiple versions unless all of those platforms are monitored.

Google Cloud Storage

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft SharePoint

A gmail address is needed, and in the health care field that is not a secure messaging system, so we could not use gmail as a means for email.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SharePoint

It was the most "secure" file sharing option available, and there were no other secure alternatives at that time.
Tatiana
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 05/08/2022

Data Synchronization is the Best!

Overall, this is a great software. I have been using this for almost 3 years and i think of it as the best out there. Highly recomend this product. I abolutley love the capabilities of file sharing, controlling permissions, and data syncronization.

Pros

Data Synchronization is absolutely grat. I like that every document is updated automatically and syncs in the cloud. This feature is incredibly helpful. I love that more that one user can be in the same document at the same time and Sharepoint updates and saves both peoples' edits and additions in real time.

Cons

I would say the time it takes to get all users up to speed in using this software as well as implementing training to get everyone utalizing this software to its full capacity takes time. This ofcourse goes back to user adoption. Within my organization, it took a while for all users to feel comfortable navigating within Sharepoint as well as it took them time to get acclimated to using this product.

Karla

Reviewed on 16/07/2020

Sharepoint is very robust but more than many small businesses need

I currently use it to archive old client data. I have found One Drive to be easier for me work with for current files.

Pros

I like Sharepoint for being a secure location to have all your documents in one place in the cloud. And I like the ability to share documents via a link with both team members and outside parties. I like the ability to use metadata tags to facilitate searching for documents.

Cons

I find it hard to set up and did not find it to be very user friendly. It is not easy to get assistance or guidance as to the best approach in the setup. We were told by our consultant NOT to use a folder structure, but a Microsoft employee told me that was not good current advice.

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft SharePoint

The hosted desktop was terribly expensive and I was switching from desktop to cloud based software and did not need hosting any more. Sharepoint is part of my Microsoft 365 subscription and I trust Microsoft security so it was an excellent value.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SharePoint

I prefer the microsoft spreadsheet and word processing over Google's versions and I feel less secure with how Google might treat my and my clients' security and privacy. To my mind Microsoft is the standard for a business.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 04/11/2018

Sharepoint is a frustrating experience for web novices and seasoned web designers alike

We are running a college-level web presence with roughly 200 websites, consisting of both internal and external communications. This system allows us to quickly do basic sites, but does not have the flexibility we need to do more custom websites efficiently.

Pros

SharePoint is at its best when used as as a CMS for intranet (internal) websites. I appreciate the ease with which you can launch an out of the box site with no frills and easily start uploading documents and granting user permissions to access those documents. The GUI interface also makes it somewhat approachable for individuals with little coding experience.

Cons

It's when you want to do more than the basics with SharePoint that the many flaws start cropping up. It is not a very scalable system to create public facing websites with. In its attempts to be approachable to both coders and end users, I feel that it alienates both by inhabiting an awkward and unintuitive middle ground. The HTML/CSS (not to mention Javascript) editing in page is clunky and barebones, while the controls for adding different content types via web parts might make some sense to those with a technical background, but seem nonsensical to the less technically inclined. Training content contributors and interns has proven difficult, as the WYSIWYG editors in SharePoint cause the creation of countless <span> and <div> tags and messy inline CSS styles, which eventually muddy the code up so much that editing page content becomes next to impossible, and it becomes necessary to redo the page from scratch. After a dozen or so edits to a clean page consisting of only a few paragraphs, headers, and images, the code has been modified by SharePoint to include literally 1000s of lines of code that are mostly made up of the aforementioned tags. This junk code can be deleted manually, but it is a huge waste of time.

Finally, the fact that anonymous users can't even download office documents on a public facing website is perplexing and frustrating. Since SharePoint is a Microsoft product, you'd think there'd be more flexibility in how Microsoft document formats are handled, no

Shikha
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 03/04/2019

Proficient tool for storing and sharing the documents

My overall experience with Microsoft has been good so far. I am sure there is still so much to learn about this application and I am still discovering new things occasionally. It is suitable if you are looking to create a cloud-based repository of documents and it works efficiently if the IT support team of your company set it up perfectly and they keep updating it steadily.

Pros

SharePoint is the cloud-based tool, which facilitates the storage, sharing, accessing, and managing the files from any location/device using centralized location link. It is a flexible platform and can be implemented and managed in the way you like it.
We have been using this software in our company for almost 3 years now and it is extremely compatible with our needs. It helps in creating a common repository of documents, which can be accessed by multiple users/devices. It works well within groups where the permission to access, edit is given by the primary user. It is one of the best software to manage the confidential information in a controlled and restrictive way. There is an option to chat within the group as well.
All files can be added to library by simple step of drag and drop. It has abundant features to choose from and you can tailor them as per your business needs. Since it is cloud based, it provides inter and intra-departmental cooperation creating a perfect collaborative environment for a small organization.

Cons

One has to be experienced with Microsoft products in order to run this smoothly else, it could be little complicated to learn in the initiate phase. Secondly, it could be expensive than the other products in the market however it provides good features but if you are looking for economical solution, you should research more before buying this. If someone authorized edits something in a document, it becomes difficult to locate where the correction has been made. Though it shows the real-time notification I someone is editing but if you try to locate for the past corrections, it is not easy to find out.

Tanner

Reviewed on 31/01/2022

From the Ground Up

Overall, I am very pleased with what I have been able to learn from and create with SharePoint. There are ups and downs, but many of the cons are more preference than necessity.

Pros

Being someone who has not gone to school or had much formal training in web design, Sharepoint started as a learning experience. We switched from using a WordPress-made site and attempted to recreate the content within SharePoint. At first, this seemed daunting, but I found that I quickly found answers to almost every question I had through the amazing support articles and forums. Through trial and error, I have set up a functioning and organized site for our company that has consolidated our internal content. I am very pleased with the ease of use from both a user and admin perspective. The consistent communication and updates from Microsoft are great.

Cons

With a current emphasis on branding initiatives, our company sees a growing need to have consistency across all of the platforms we use. Though there are many customization options within SharePoint, there is room for more. Being able to add our own fonts natively on the site or adding more advanced web parts would bring the program up another level. With the out-of-the-box web parts, we can accomplish what is needed to set up the site, but having more options would allow for a much better user experience and a more modern look to the site.

Hester
  • Industry: Defense & Space

Reviewed on 13/03/2022

Microsoft SharePoint is a fantastic platform that can handle the majority of your demands.

Small, medium-sized, and large enterprises with multiple teams and collaboration programs can all benefit from SharePoint. Furthermore, setting up a SharePoint is rather simple for an enterprise with an IT department.

Sharepoint has helped me become more efficient in a variety of areas, and I'm hoping that one of its functions will allow me to make a process more collaborative, controlled, and automated. Currently, the entire organization has access to the software, and the transition from local servers to Sharepoint has been gradual, owing to people's apprehension of something new and unknown.

Pros

SharePoint is particularly user-friendly when it comes to co-authoring. Simply open the online version of the document you want to edit, and you'll be able to make changes to the content while others in your team do the same. This feature makes it simple to manage shared documents and provides visibility into who is making changes and when.

The capacity to communicate and work with anyone within our firm, as well as the option to transfer information outside of it, is tremendously beneficial.

SharePoint crams a lot of functionality onto a single platform, making it a powerful tool for teams that can integrate it with their existing processes. It may take some time to learn everything there is to know.

Cons

Even though your Office 365 subscription includes a free SharePoint online license, you'll have to pay for further customization, deployment, training, and administration.

You should think about integration concerns ahead of time because they may add time and cost to your project, and there's a potential that if it fails, it will reduce employee productivity.

SharePoint may be overkill if you're searching for a simple document management system. It is, however, a terrific alternative if you're searching for a dynamic platform that gives excellent flexibility and simultaneous collaboration, as well as the ability to scale up with your growing organization.

Harsha
Harsha
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

The Future Software Point of Sharing a Perfect Collaborative Tool to make an Awesome Organizati...

Pros

+ Creating a new SharePoint site/app/directory is very easy and manageable. Users need to request the access before using the website or owner can manage how and whom to give what permission level of access on each site.
+ We could inherit permissions from top level site or we can manage permissions separately to each individual sub sites.
+ Permissions on each document level! Jaw Dropping feature of genius.
+ It has a plenty amount of features to choose from and you can customize each app to fit your business needs.
+ You can also add sandbox solution based or script based jssor/jsom apps to each SharePoint site.
+ Very easy to share files and information across our organization.
+ Perfect for document management and storage system for employees of many locations.
Syncing the SharePoint content is a nice feature.
+ Uploading/Checking in thousands of documents at one click with the help of explorer is definitely something special.
+ Connecting SharePoint calendars to your Outlook calendar will make your work life easy.
+ SharePoint Designer, Info path, Nintex, K2 all are bonus to have for OOTB Workflow configurations.
+ Content management Checkin, Checkout, Publish, Approve/Reject features are nice features to have on each document.
+ Not only Search, You can even do Filters among search results.
+ Not only Filters, You can do Best Bets on search results.
+ What is more, All search results are very fast across the whole website.

Cons

A humble advice to Microsoft SharePoint team! since we can't host External websites on cloud, It will be good if they come up with Team Communication sites, Forms apps within On Premises.
Comments from Anonymous users on our SharePoint Blogs: If we have the ability to get comments/likes from anonymous users outside our organization it would be helpful for organizations which are depending on SharePoint On Premises version because of PPI (Personal Protected Information) data.
In Overall, There isn't anything to dislike about it, to be honest it is everything we've expected it to be.

Alex
Alex

Reviewed on 15/05/2023

Excellent platform for team collaboration, document and workflow management.

MS allows us to interact as a team from a central location, we have access to document libraries, important files and specific and irrelevant content for our operation all included in one place, thanks to its great capacity to support document management and promote team collaboration; We can now form work teams based on roles and areas of knowledge, which allows us to take full advantage of the particular skills of each participant to work together on the same project or document simultaneously and in real time, which has allowed us to conclude and meet the agreed objectives, and all this under the necessary control and supervision.

Pros

SharePoint is a powerful collaboration tool, very useful for the creation of portals, it offers us a great variety of functionalities and tools with which it is easy to build web sites. With MS we can share documents with other colleagues securely; I find its ability to support document management and promote team collaboration quite interesting; several people can work on the same document simultaneously and in real time; it is easy to create, upload, view and exchange folders and files with sharepoint; I like its high level of customization that makes it possible to meet and satisfy our specific needs, MS allows us to use various information systems as data sources, its high performance for workflow management is unbeatable, it is interesting how MS complements with other office 365 tools, such as Teams, Calendar and One Drive that in our case has been very useful because we use them daily to complete many of our business activities and tasks; at the same time its infallible search function that allows us to quickly find documents when required, in fact the overall performance and capabilities of MS are truly exceptional.

Cons

The process of setting permissions according to company roles is somewhat confusing and time-consuming and requires a bit more time and effort to achieve the desired configuration.

Paula
Paula
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 09/08/2023

It has a diverse range of features and is easy to use for collaborative work.

We are establishing a gateway for organizations where an organization may obtain updates and information about what is going on in the organization, as well as some approval flow for the approval process. We can work cooperatively on various jobs and projects using SharePoint, and as a result, we are more productive overall. The benefits include centralized data, document management, and, of course, simplicity of use.

Pros

It is the greatest platform for cross-departmental communication, with amazing features such as security management, asset library, and effective document management, as well as seamless connection with Office 365 products. I appreciate Sharepoint because it can provide me with an easy-to-read format for all of my organization's news; everything is saved there, and I can quickly select whatever articles or websites I want to read. What I appreciate best about SharePoint is that it allows me to effortlessly share and collaborate on numerous documents with multiple staff while keeping us all on the same platform.

Cons

Deployment is costly, depending on whether the model is subscription, on-premises, or hybrid; IT teams must plan ahead of time for integration concerns to save time and money. There are also other needs for fundamental customisation in the search option. I don't like how you can't readily view photographs, photos, or videos; you have to click on each one; I'd want to see this function improved.