EpicCare Reviews

About EpicCare

Epic Systems’ EpicCare is an electronic medical recording (EMR) solution for large hospitals and healthcare systems, certified for Meaningful Use Stages 1 and 2. EpicCare is developed, implemented and supported by an in-house...

4.2

Browse EpicCare Reviews

Darpan
Darpan

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Great EHR tool, no competitiion

Great tool, I love it!

Pros

I have worked with many EHR tools but this is the best one.
It has great documentation.

Cons

I feel the backend Clarity database is not modeled in an organized away. Table and column names are not conventional.

Renee

Reviewed on 31/07/2019

Epic is good!

What our practice is solving with Epic is the hunt for medical records and patient information. The switch has made it so we are more efficient with our patient care.

Pros

I like the ease of use. Everything is pretty self explanatory and using the software can cut down on time spent doing any one task. In our practice, we converted to share the EHR system with a local hospital and its practices, cutting down on any type of hunt for medical records

Cons

Yes, there is more than one way to do everything, but the process in which to get from point A to point B can be frustrating and long. A lot of clicking and doing things you may have already done before. If you know how to get around it, it can be easy, but those who struggle with technology might not find it as easy.

Bei

Reviewed on 03/05/2022

The worst end

It’s not designed to help pts. It’s designed to maximize billing .

Pros

Care everywhere helps with looking at info from other institutions

Cons

The implementation of this software at our hospital was a disaster. Orders were incorrect . Some medications were 10x the dose. There were no epic super users nearby. Because orders were built incorrectly, a pharmacist could change an order of mine without my cosignature and it was an erroneous change that could have resulted in a patient death. There is no quality control with the rollout . Many of the treatment plans were incorrect so you have to place a ticket for everything. The training was poor so most people don’t know how to use it so you have to change everything . The problem list takes forever to clean up. There are alerts that go off constantly, many of which are incorrect. You can be in the middle of an order and an alert pops up. There are hundreds of canceled orders that aren’t really canceled . Same with overdue orders. I mean there is no way for a human to distinguish the important stuff from the noise . The inbasket is horrible to use because you can’t include your nurse or scheduler on the same message as your pt and because it’s flooded with messages. Your phone constantly goes off in the middle of the night with critical alerts even though a nocturnist is in the hospital and can actually address these issues. But you are the one being woken up. Unfortunately because epic has a monopoly and because hospital administrators who don’t have to use this make all the decisions, they chose this software because it maximizes billing . It is demoralizing .

Top EpicCare Alternatives

Reviewed on 25/03/2024

Best EMR system available for inpatient

I have worked with many EMR in the last 10 years. EPIC is easily the best EMR available for inpatient and outpatient setting

Pros

Easy to use for all users both for tech savy and the older generations
Like the smooth transitions and customization to each end hser

Cons

How it can be different from institution to institution so if work at multiple sites it is slight different at each place.

chrys

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

EpicCare EMR- easy patient care management

EpicCare EMR has definitely been an upgrade from our previously used EMR. I love the ease of use, the clean and modern design, the ability to customize to my needs

Pros

I love that EpicCare EMR is easily searchable, it provides lots of options for customization, both in terms of utility and view. It also has a sort of memory of your more recently entered orders, which makes it easy to reorder

Cons

Even though EpicCare EMR is searchable, sometimes it is hard to find what you need

Reviewed on 27/10/2019

Epic1

It is a great software and is highly recommended for all who work in healthcare as it is very advanced

Pros

It is super advanced and is very smart. It has so many features and once learned, is a very high level software

Cons

It’s not the most user friendly as it does require you to complete sims and learning to learn this software

Rebekka

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Epic is... EPIC

I have used EPIC during several hospital rotations as a travel nurse. It's always a relief to know I'll have EPIC as it's the easiest computer system I have used.

Pros

Easy to use, quick charting that takes very little effort. Lab results with normal values are fantastic.

Cons

Orders can be difficult to read or find what you expect in the right place. "Expand all" should be default cause there can be a lot of hidden information!

Henry
Henry

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

EpicCare EMR helps us better care our patients

With EpicCare, clinics can streamline their workflows using personalized screens, dashboards and specialty applications. The application's finance module allows clinics to track payments, bills and invoices. EpicCare is a mobile-ready solution, allowing both doctors and patients to access information on their Apple devices.

Pros

I love patient portal and e-prescribing features which helps us meet the Meaningful Use Stage 2 requirements. The tool also supports telemedicine options that allow our doctors to communicate with patients via a video platform and offers mobile and tablet functionality. EpicCare MyChart allows patients to view medical information, message doctors, schedule appointments and manage medical history via a personalized portal.

Cons

The health maintenance options could be better, and easier to see and mark as complete. Also out would be easier if when you marked something got a preference it wouldn't add a copy to the main menu. Upgrade to EPIC 2017 is a fight.

Aiya

User-friendly Service

Pros

EpicCare is easy to navigate and is visually appealing. The simplicity in its design makes it very user-friendly and provides efficiency.

Cons

I do not particularly like that there is no user guide to show all the features EpicCare offers. I am aware that EpicCare has numerous tools and resources that can especially be useful in my role as a Research Coordinator. It is difficult finding those tools and learning how to best use them without guidance.

Karina
Karina

Reviewed on 25/03/2024

Always evolving to meet the needs of clinicians and patients

Pros

Epic has regular updates to make charting more efficient and easier.

Cons

There are limits to using the smart phrases in the SOAP note template for daily notes.

Lindsey

Reviewed on 11/06/2021

still getting use to it

we had very lttle training. 2 days and then went live, very little onsite support when we went live. its been 1.5 years still cannot navigate fully

Pros

I like the accessibility to care everywhere can see other docs notes, results, reports at the click on a button

Cons

once you start something you cannot undo it . Constantly making erroneous encounters

Benjamin

Reviewed on 17/01/2023

Epic is Aweful

Exhausting. Worst system I’ve used for documenting notes and workflow.

Pros

Billing and coding. I believe this is why it was purchased

Cons

Takes forever to document a visit. Too many clicks. Hard stops. Too many ways to do tasks. Workflow is terrible.

Reviewed on 05/09/2023

Epic and Epic Rover Review

My overall experience has been very good! I really enjoy using epic and have not really had any major problems with it! Any hiccups in the system can be handled by IT very quickly!

Pros

I really like the mobility of using the app. I would like to see the river system improved upon and expanded! Home health is a very large and important aspect of healthcare today, and a lot of clinicians are out in the field and need access to epic!

Cons

Sometimes I find that using epic on the computer in the office is daunting because of the many pages you have to search through!

Reviewed on 23/04/2019

The Gold Standard of EMR

It makes clinical care and documentation so much easier, the billers/coders love it, and I can access outside patient records from other institutions that use Epic, so I know I'm not missing anything. Every hospital in the country needs to implement Epic.

Pros

The ease of use is perhaps number one for Epic. Having used some of the older EMRs, I am well aware of how an EMR can make or break your day. Epic is the best EMR I have used, and perhaps the best one out there. Its ease of use is second to none, and it's extremely intuitive (so even without a training course, which you're likely get anyway, you can pick up how to use this EMR in perhaps a few hours). The shortcuts that are already built in are great, and you can personalize this EMR to best suit your tastes. I know from a billing standpoint, Epic makes it a breeze, but as a daily user of this software I can guarantee you that the physician staff will appreciate Epic as well. Simply stated, this is the EMR of the future (and present), and the CareEverywhere feature makes continuity of care amazing, and the ability to access outside records makes clinical care a breeze. Epic is the known gold standard for a reason.

Cons

Compared to other EMRS, I can't think of anything negative to say.

Stephanie

Reviewed on 29/09/2019

Pros

I've been using Epic Care EMR for 8 years at my place of employment. We were given serious notice in advance when we were transferring from paper charts to electronic charts. Growing up in the technology age, transferring to electronic charts was not a huge change for me. I was able to chart what I needed for my patients very easily. I was able to teach others how to do so as well. I moved to a doctor's office 4 months ago who had just started using this system in their office so I was well aware of the software so I didn't need ask any questions. I had just kept moving forward with working with the system.

Cons

Downtime to updating the software was always on the night shift and I felt bad for nurses because if the downtime was for 4 hours, it would be difficult for the nurses to chart after the downtime was done before passing medications for the morning. It was always a inconvenient time but I think that was the IT department's choice, not the actual software's choice; for this review anyways.

Reviewed on 09/03/2023

Great EMR

Pros

It’s it’s the standard of electronic medical records. It’s super user friendly and very easy to navigate and makes your work life much more efficient.

Cons

That it is a little on the pricey side when it comes to private practice.

Nikki

Reviewed on 14/12/2019

Professional but redundant

Thorough, professional but redundant and often time consuming to complete a patient pathway for care.

Pros

In healthcare without documentation it didn’t happens so it is key to record what is done for patients. I appreciated how thorough this software is and how quick the dropboxes allowed me to fill out a patient chart while in their room during a treatment session. The shortcut phrases were very helpful for common statements that were needed in patient charts. Being able to create a template made documentation thorough as well.

Cons

Redundant and I wish the software would “talk” to other pages more. For example, as a therapist, I would have to fill out a daily care tab and then a therapy tab, both time stamped the same except it required me to comment in 2 separate areas requiring more of my time to complete. If the system talked to each page then it could auto-populate saving patient treatment time instead of therapist documentation time.

Katherine

Reviewed on 26/07/2023

Worst ever for front desk scheduling

It was bad enough before the so-called upgrade, but now it's just plain aggravating to use. This "upgrade" is totally senseless. There was absolutely no reason to change scheduling and "bookit" is a very unprofessional sounding name.

Pros

The ONLY thing I like about Epic is being able to prioritize the schedule by time or patient name.

Cons

Whoever writes these programs should be made to actually USE it for several weeks and see how THEY like it. It's way too easy to get stuck on a page because of an "error" we can't fix and the new "bookit" is making everything mush more difficult. Insurance information gets twisted and information often doesn't get sent to Caretracker.

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

EpicCare EMR software

Its frustrating at times to accomplish the smallest of tasks or messages. Though it is helpful and easy to communicate if properly used , it is an embarrassment to the creators and programmers whom I've met with personally and were embarrassed to admit they were some of the original creators of the software .

Pros

Its inclusive : people across most facilities can review results, messages, notes, appointments and fyi's
it's gotten better at tracking errors when it comes to duplicate charts, appointees, or overall telling you when your wrong

Cons

Very slow, constantly glitching. It takes more clicks to achieve something that should only be done with one to two clicks. So many steps to complete any order , refill or scheduling process or anything else . Constant screen freezing resulting in black screens until the system has cough up with itself . The worst is that its constancy crashing , updating or just not working at all .

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

Epic Review

Overall, I like Epic and think that it makes ordering and charting things easy when you make them into pre-programmed lists.

Pros

I like that you are easily able to chart on patients, you can make preset templates for charting and can preset order sets, and you are able to do everything electronically, including connecting to the PACs system and requesting documentation from other companies. You are also able to switch between inpatient and outpatient settings easily. Dragon is very compatible with this system.

Cons

I dislike that the EPIC system can vary depending on different healthcare setups, and can cost a lot. Epic can also take a while to catch on to, depending on how well you know computers. Finally, it can sometimes be hard to find different patients and patient lists on the inpatient systems if your healthcare system is large.

Kevin

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Excellent and Gets the Job Done

Overall Epic is great and provides a full suite of tools for a healthcare organization.

Pros

I like how Epic has a full suite of good software for healthcare organizations. I would say most Epic tools are good and are not too complicated. Billing and coding can be done easily compared to other systems. The defer feature is a great feature that is missing in other rival software. This is especially useful for a biller who needs to ask providers questions before taking action.

Cons

Some of the biggest issues I have with Epic is that the interface looks a bit dated. There is also a lot of variation between how different users interact with Epic. I often had to talk to doctors and nurses in order to help them out. Unfortunately we were never able to help each other out because Epic worked completely differently for different users.

Lisa

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Epic Review

we are using epic to do referrals for the local hospital and to pull orders. and we use epic exact science to order our cologuards. but epic is just a messy emr!

Pros

We use Epic here for our Exact Lab orders, and we use the Epic software to login to local hospitals for referrals or records. We don't own this product, we are just users of this product. There is not really anything I like Most about this software

Cons

The least thing that is not likable about this software is how it ties everything into continuation. For instance is you need to print an xray report you have to print literally the entire record as it seems to always pick up where you left off, if you are seen on one day and come back in two weeks they just pick up where they left off so the notes are just confusing, what visit went with what. I don't like that at all about Epic

Ashley

Reviewed on 31/10/2022

Everyday user

I use it daily for my job duties. It's great that we are moving away from paper to everything being electronic and all in one place. So many providers use EPIC so it's a place that you can get more information on a patient and collaborate to make sure your patient's health care needs are being met.

Pros

There are so many features built into EPIC that are very helpful for everyday use as a Social Worker. I use multiple features in EPIC such as charting notes, secure chats with providers, assessments, LPOC, chart review, appointment reminders and so much more. It's great that you can kind of built your layout how you want it by switching the toolbar to display mostly used items.

Cons

It's always updating and changing which can get a little frustrating when you are a newer user.

Tamieka

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

EPIC is one of the most popular EMR systems in Cincinnati.

Pros

EPIC is the system that the majority of hospitals and healthcare facilities use in our city. This is EXTREMELY beneficial because when we have patients that go to more than one site, the other site can access the patient's medical history and receive very important information. The electronic system allows for providers to communicate with each other without actually being on the phone or in person, and it allows for the providers to access records from multiple sites. This is very important for our organization because our providers serve patients at multiple locations.

Cons

This system has made communication easier for administration, providers, and other healthcare professionals so I have no complaints about EPIC.

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Epic EMR Review

Overall, my favorite EMR system. I have no complaints about it and everyone loves it.

Pros

I LOVE Epic. In fact, everyone in my hospital loves Epic and we are actually shifting towards this system very soon. The reason is because there's less unnecessary clicking. Doctors HATE clicking. When you are in clinic with a patient, you want to write a note as quickly as you can because the focus is on the patient, not the computer. Epic minimizes that by organizing everything in a logical order (the tabs are great), and making the note itself like a "Word" document where you can free-text. Prescribing is a breeze and the tech support is excellent.

Cons

Some functions can be difficult to find and training takes two days at our hospital.