Emburse Certify Expense Reviews

4.7

4.7

About Emburse Certify Expense

Emburse Certify Expense effortlessly streamlines your operations through automation and superior customer service. Automatically create reports for employees, streamline approvals, and make reimbursement and reporting effortless...

Browse Emburse Certify Expense Reviews

1,279 of 1,279 reviews
Shreya
Shreya

Reviewed on 01/05/2023

Emburse Certify Expense: Streamline Your Expense Reporting Process.

We were manually inputting and processing expense reports, which took a lot of time before we started using this programme. However, since implementing this system, uploading receipts and submitting and reviewing expense reports have become much simpler, saving us a tonne of time and hassle. The programme has saved our team a tonne of time overall.

Pros

I am extremely pleased with the ease of creating and modifying expense reports using this system! It's incredibly convenient to be able to add notes or instructions if needed, and the option to forward reports to another manager for approval is an excellent feature. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the functionality and features provided by this expense reporting platform.

Cons

It would be really helpful if I could make multiple changes to my expense report all at once instead of having to go through the process of changing the receipt, saving it, making corrections to the Category, Reason box, and other fields, and then saving again. It would save me a lot of time and effort if I could make all the necessary modifications in one go.

Heather
Heather

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

This software is like an "EASY" button for life!

The ability to keep track of every mileage reimbursement that I had ever had!

Pros

When traveling as much as I used to for work, Certify gave me the ability to not only keep track of where I went, but the notes feature allowed me to keep track of why I was going there.
I actually had an error occur at work which caused me to have to go back 3 YEARS and give the accounting department a list of every time I drove to headquarters. Being able to go back into Certify to find specific times/dates/mileage/etc. helped me prove that I was actually owed a few hundred dollars! It was no fault of my company or myself, just one of those oversights that could have been missed by anyone. But had I not had Certify and it's ability to keep track of EVERYTHING, I never would have been able to prove the error had occurred!

Cons

Even though I used the app on my phone for years, I still found myself getting confused when it came to determining whether I needed to create an "expense" or a "receipt" - I think there should/could be an easier way to label these two options so that it identifies more with what each one actually means. While it may look as though it should be self-explanatory, there were times when I would just forget.

Sloan
Sloan
  • Industry: Research
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

Know before you buy - DOES NOT INTEGRATE WITH SMALL BUSINESS CREDIT CARDS

After several phone calls with the Certify sales team, I was assured that the corporate credit card sync would work for our business. I stated several times that the credit card sync was THE critical factor in our evaluation of expense tracking software, and explained the structure of of our credit card login with authorized users. I was never given any indication throughout the sales process that there was even a possibility that the credit card data couldn't be pulled in, and proceeded with our contract an implementation accordingly.

I dedicated many hours to the implementation process, including introducing our entire team to the website and mobile app. It was not until over a month into the process that our implementation specialist indicated that the credit card aggregator was unable to separate the charges according to authorized user....and that this was a KNOWN ISSUE for credit cards of our type. I spent an additional 4 weeks attempting to help them trouble-shoot the known issue. But the bottom line is that their service does not support small business credit card feeds, has never been able to do so, and they have no plan in place to attempt to do so.

Bottom line: Certify will tell you whatever you want to hear until they take your money. But they do not standby those promises, and you should not trust that their sales people have any idea what the software can actually do or not do. Beware.

Pros

This seemed like an effective and easy to use expense tracking software.

Cons

The sales contact repeatedly assured us that Certify would bring in credit card transactions from our company credit card (Capital One Spark for Small Business). We were explicit that this was the primary driver in our decision, and that importing company credit card transactions was our primary goal. As soon as we paid the implementation fee and were assigned to an implementation specialist, they immediately explained that Certify does not work with Capital One cards, and also does not work with any of these: Chase Ink, American Express @ Work, Simmons Bank, PNC Bank, Bank of America Visa Executive Commercial Card, US Bank. If you use those cards, DO NOT TRY TO USE CERTIFY. They wasted 2 months of my time, and REFUSED TO REFUND the implementation cost, despite the fact that they sold me software they KNEW would not work.

Top Emburse Certify Expense Alternatives

Jason Taylor
Jason Taylor
  • Industry: E-Learning
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 04/04/2020

Expense Reports (and reimbursement!) Have Never Been Easier

It is extremely handy to submit and get repaid for expenses. I'm a HUGE fan of company credit cards being preloaded so I don't have to personally shell out a couple thousand for a flight/hotel. For someone who remembers the days of photocopying receipts and physically signing expense sheets, this program is a godsend.

Pros

I love that I can put the app on my phone and take pictures of receipts (or whatever) and build my expense report as I go. I love that I can book airfare and hotels from the single platform. And I love that I can build an expense report and get the reimbursement back to me in a few days via ACH.

Cons

Booking a hotel can be a little confusing because there are endless options with shorthand codes for different sizes, etc. And if your organization has put in confusing policies/rules (or just not implemented them all the way) you can run into some roadblocks.

Matthew
Matthew
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 08/06/2018

Certify is a great tool to keep track of expenses

Easy way to track expenses and upload receipts with the mobile app. The way it syncs to desktop version is quick and efficient. All receipts and expenses in a variety of different forms can be added (bank statement, physical receipt, online receipt, etc). It is user friendly and easy to understand. Generates expense reports and notifies you of its progress.

Pros

I think the software is user friendly in both the App and the Desktop versions. I like how you can add expenses right from your phone when you are on the go. The way it prefills data from receipts is great. I like how it is connected to Uber and also how easy it is to forward an online receipt to certify and it will generate an expense. I rated customer service and value for money as average because I don't have a good benchmark for either of them.

Cons

I feel the App does some things better than the desktop version and I feel each have different capabilities, which is strange. For example, I can create an expense based on mileage from driving to and from a location, that cannot be replicated within the desktop version.

Ashley
Ashley
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 24/04/2019

Certify - I'll Do It To Get Reimbursed by my Employer

Certify does a good job in solving the business problem of having all reimbursement, travel, and other expenses recorded for each user in one place, however, it is not always user-friendly. I would mainly recommend using this platform for booking travel.

Pros

My job recently switched over to Certify for travel and basic money management. The main reason I use it to receive reimbursement from my workplace when we go to an outing or have to travel for client meetings. Our company grew very quick from less than 100 people to over 700 people in a matter of 2 years so as we onboard this program, it made travel, reimbursement, tracking of receipts, etc for a medium size com pretty easy. I value programs like Certify that make my life easier by having all inquires in one place, saving me time on booking and making me worry free about tracking reimbursements

Cons

Sometimes the receipt upload process takes a while to get done right since it has quite a few components to enter when filing out the form for reimbursement. With this being said, the must unenjoyable thing about Certify is filing a reimbursement form since it is a tad annoying/takes a while to use.

Andrea
Andrea

Reviewed on 27/04/2018

We love Certify! Super easy to use and very user friendly!

Easy to use. Every one I have spoken to on the phone was also extremely helpful and very responsive. All the handouts and tutorials were very easy to understand and left no questions regarding Certify. The webinars were also helpful. Adding users is super easy as well.

Pros

Teaching employees how to use both the app and the computer version was super easy. This is almost a fool proof app. We only really use this for travel and expense reports.

Cons

It was hard to set up with the system that we use to process expense reports (Sage software). I had to call Sage on the phone and have them customize a report so we could use the product.

Margarida
Margarida

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Control your expenses easily

I find it quite helpful to manage expenses especially if you need to control your team expenses. You and set it to send reports to you and approve them or not. It's really user-friendly. App's design is not the best but it fills your needs.

Pros

It's really easy to submit your expenses with your phone through certify's app without needing the internet. You can just add your full day expenses and at the end of the day with just one button send it all to the software in your computer and from there you can create reports and send them directly to your manager.
The person at your company controlling the software has the ability to choose which categories appear in your app, so it can fit every business and every person.

Cons

The invoice recognition doesn't quite work. So just stick to the fill up the blanks yourself.

Sandra
Sandra

Reviewed on 30/04/2018

In all the times I used it, I only had one bad experience and that was rectified quickly.

Much easier than the old ways of dealing with receipts.

Pros

Easy to edit. Easy to understand. I mostly used it for mileage, so the mapping was easy to understand. I also used it for purchases, which was a little more difficult.

Cons

I enjoyed the software, but I was a little confused with the uploading. It was a little tedious, but other than that, it was pretty easy. If I had a long receipt it made it a little difficult. Looking for an easier way to upload.

Anna
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 27/10/2023

spent management

Pros

A client of ours has this as their obt/travel spent management tool, we help with annual spent and projection calculation based on Emburse SE

Cons

not all data is reflected in reports correctly, some city codes are lost

Nicholas

Reviewed on 16/06/2020

helps with some aspects of expense management

Pros

Helps less organized employees audit and track expenses - integrates with our cc statements and sleek looking site

Cons

takes long to integrate. Menus and dropdowns are repetitive, time-consuming and many aren't customizable. Uploading receipts could be time consuming.

Expensify and SAP Concur

Reasons for Choosing Emburse Certify Expense

Too manual for one person to track and audit statements

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Emburse Certify Expense

Concur didn't integrate with some of our credit card accounts
Nicole
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 11/03/2020

Certify Review

The overall experience with Certify has been great, I am able to submit receipts easily and also I am able to help and assist managers when they need me to submit expenses for them when they aren't able to.

Pros

Our company is a fairly new company and when we 1st started out the company was using another software that was so complicated at times! Then they introduced us to the certify software and it was much easier to upload and track our expenses. You get to see the step by step process of approvals and you the software makes it so easy to edit and make corrections! Very simply software.

Cons

There was an issue one time when I submitted an expense for reimbursement and the expense was never paid because that was a glitch somewhere in the system where accounting did not process the expense that was submitted.

Anna
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

A different type of expense system

As the administrator I think it's a fantastic program for cost savings in comparison to some other popular expense systems. Users struggle with adapting to this software compared to Concur. The interface is completely different for how reports are created and receipts are uploaded. I like that they are constantly making improvements based on user and administrator feedback (I was informed that the more requests they get for something, the higher that project gets bumped up on their development list).

Pros

I like that there are several option to make it custom to our company (ability to make it work how we need it to). There is a vast learning library available and reporting is visually appealing and easy to find what I need to run as the administrator. The Certify tech support team is responsive and always rolling out new improvements based on feedback, we have already seen several positive changes in the last 4 months since switching to this for expenses and travel.

Cons

User feedback has been that it's not user-friendly, there are several aspects of the software that aren't intuitive and users struggle with learning this system after switching from Concur's interface.
As the administrator it's difficult to create specific rules to kick-out certain expense categories for audit. We had to create a work-around by making a secondary account for myself to manually review those exceptions which is pretty odd and causes for a lot of double-work, as those approved by the secondary account come back to me as administrator to approve a second time.

Toni
Toni
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 27/03/2020

Good for receipt uploads - clunky during report creation

Our company uses Certify to track and reimburse all work-related expenses. Whether that's a hotel bill for a conference in another state, to the meals and snacks you purchased during your annual off-site retreat, Certify is the way to break everything out by line item and have Finance approve.

Pros

Certify allows the user to upload receipts and put the date of the purchase, which helps Finance get an accurate picture of your work-related spending. You are emailed a notification once your report is submitted, and also when it's been approved. A great feature is the ability to just email the pictures of your receipts on your phone to one email address, which automatically uploads them for you into your account. From there you can fill out the info related to the spend.

Cons

Honestly - Certify is not very intuitive at all. The first time I tried to create an expense report I ended up creating 3 separate reports before noticing that something was off. The platform seems a little buggy, and you can't fix one thing without bulk fixing multiple things. It won't let you move forward unless everything is perfect, and most of the time, it is not clearly communicated what you're missing. You need to upload receipts one by one, but they don't filter into the same report. It's very manual and I dread creating expense reports at the end of any trip because it just takes me forever.

Melissa

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Excellent Expense Reimbursement System

Pros

Great software that fits global needs. Company continues to improve the system.

Cons

There are still some reports that cannot be customized in the system. Have to pull it out and then filter and sort etc.

SAP Concur

Reasons for Switching to Emburse Certify Expense

Pricing and Ease of use
Jessica
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 11/03/2020

Certify Review

With Certify, I am able to ensure that I am getting reimbursed for money that I spend at work both directly and indirectly including gas, mileage, school supplies, food for meetings, and more! Thank you certify for ensuring that I am getting paid for the things I pay for!

Pros

I enjoy how easy the software is to use! I can use Certify with any expenses that I have including receipts from meetings, receipts from purchasing classroom supplies for students, gas receipts, and more. I can even upload receipts from my phone and transfer them to certify in a very simple process which makes my expense reporting stress free! As I mostly use the software for mileage, I enjoy that I can easily input my regular travel and have it deducted automatically while also having the option to "map it" and "round trip" my route in order to have an accurate account of my travel expenses. This software makes my overall expense reporting experience simple and easy!

Cons

At first I did not like how there were so many separate accounts for my work (timecard, notes, expense reporting etc.) However, with Certify, everything you need for expense reporting is in one place. Initially the action tabs can be a bit confusing and can maybe be modified. However, once you understand what they are for and how to use them they are very helpful. Other than that there is not much I would change about certify as it makes my experience so easy and stress free!

• Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 02/08/2018

It's Okay

This is a good stand alone product it just doesn't really work well with my accounting program. Right now we are just using it to capture mileage reimbursement but I'm not sure that we will continue using the program because again I'm not sure it is worth it to keep it just for mileage.

Pros

What I like about this product is that it can record mileage, the customization it has available. There are plenty of resources available on their website to help educate customers on the product. The Certify Team is really helpful and always have a positive interaction.

Cons

I don't like how this product syncs with Quickbooks. There is alot of manual input which is what I was trying to avoid and why our team ultimatley ended up signing up for certify. Certain data doesn't transfer over like billable expenses to customer/job. Additionally, it doesn't recognize duplicate entries that were synced over so alot of work was duplicated. I don't like how you can't split expenses until you create a expense report. Also the auto expense feature doesn't work very well very often my expenses were recorded incorrectly and synced to my books incorrectly so it actually created more work for me to go back and try to correct the issue. Lastly, when my team submits a expense report it always flags every transaction so that all the fields are entered. I wish there was a way to turn off some of the insignificant sections like location.

Hans

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Content user and hoping for improvements

We solved our problem from using a manual process to an automated expense report process. It was also important to have a site that warehouses our receipts.

Pros

First, it integrates with our American Business Gold Card. Second, it's intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

Very happy with the expense software. I don't like it when the credit card link breaks. However, I know they are working to have a direct link in the near future because right now they are using a third party provider.

Lindsey

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

The easiest expense system I have used

Overall one of the easiest platforms we've tried...and we've tried a lot!

Pros

Expenses are always tricky, and making sure people get them in on time and in the proper format for filing... but I've found that Certify, from the app to the optionality, has made it easiest for our teams to expense quickly and correctly.

Cons

It does require ample employee training due to the complexity of billing but the platform makes the process as intuitive as possible for tracking time, processing expenses and generating client invoices.

Vince

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Great Solution for a team with heavy travel

We switched from excel based spreadsheets for expenses and having to tape receipts onto pages to submit. This makes life so much easier when on the road. I can approve reports much quicker now that they are cloud-based.

Pros

Ability to track expenses for a team. Smartphone use, from uploading receipts to booking travel, makes it easy to stay on top of the expense reports.

Cons

Some of my team likes to book travel by train and this isn't very easy to do through Certify. Sometimes flight changes have not been communicated in a timely fashion to some of the team.

Lauren
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

Convenient One Stop Product for our Team's needs

We love this product and in my 8 years here we have had two others that were difficult and the customer service left a lot to be desired. Great product and Great Service.

Pros

As the person who books travel for our entire leadership team, I love that I can go to one reliable source and search all travel options. Trying to create itineraries that meet all their schedules is challenging but this software enables me to look at all the options in one place. We originally used it for airfare but have come to rely on it for hotels and car rentals as well. I also have to give a "10" to their customer service. They are prompt, friendly and reliable. I never have to wait for an answer and when we need to make changes they take right over and get it done.

Cons

To be honest, I really can't think of a "con". I have never had an issue with Certify Travel & Expense.

Nancy

Reviewed on 04/04/2019

Easy and Intuitive Program

Saving time is the biggest benefit I see. Being able to enter receipts on the go and have them sync up and then auto-populate my expense report is one HUGE thing I can check off my long list of "to do's".

Pros

I love how easy and convenient this software is to use and because of this I rarely if ever "forget" to upload a receipt. I use the mobile app "on the spot" as I wait for my catering order or before I start my car to drive to the next office. It's great!

Cons

It is hard to come up with any major cons. I guess if I had to pick something it would be to have fewer categories on the mobile app in the section where you enter the expense description. However, this is not a big deal at all.

Nicole
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 03/06/2020

Certify is certifiably wonderful

Benefits are wonderful for this software.

Pros

I really love how seamlessly the integration is with this software. It is excellent and keeps all receipts itemized.

Cons

It can be challenging when computing currency from other countries- I.e. international work travel. Program has gotten much better over the years

Mona

Reviewed on 26/01/2023

Making changes

Very professional, but we would like to see more enhancements to the program especially to the commute deductions from daily travel.

Pros

Using Certify has made it easier for the staff to submit their travel expenses. Being paperless, not only assures that we receive the claims timely, but it also assures that the expenses get processed timely. Also, receiving the e-mail notifications is very helpful for the employee and management.

Cons

Yes, we use Emburse mostly for our itinerant staff that travel from school to school on a daily basis. Our policy deducts the daily commute. We would like to be able to deduct the daily commute from the full day travels, not only from once of their trips. For example: if an employee daily travel is 20 miles roundtrip a day and they travel 30 miles, we will reimburse them 10 miles. Currently, the system deducts the home commute when they travel from home or to home. So if the employee travels 30 miles and ends their travel to a school closer to their home (less than their commuted miles), their home commute is not deducted.

Laurel

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

Is a valuable T&E tool!

The digital processing of T&E reports is by far more efficient than having employees submitting them on paper through snail mail.

Pros

Ease of use for employees to track and submit expenses. The ability to track their expenses on their mobile devices.

Cons

the delay/processing time for employees who have a large number of items to process in one report is a huge time eater. And, moving between items they feel is cumbersome.