SendGrid Reviews

4.2

4.2
Visit Website

About SendGrid

Twilio SendGrid is a cloud-based email marketing tool that assists marketers and developers with campaign management and audience engagement. Its key features include A/B testing, mailing list management, predefined templates,...

4.1
4.1
3.8

Browse SendGrid Reviews

Vishal
Vishal

Reviewed on 09/08/2021

SendGrid - Best Email API for sending marketing emails

I use SendGrid for sending communication and marketing emails to thousands of customers every day. Sending close to 100,000 emails per month and the quality of service is quite good. Must say I am happy to use SendGrid.

Pros

The best thing about using the SendGrid Email API was the performance measured in terms of email deliverability and server uptime.

The dashboard provides good insights with respect to number of emails sent, delivered and opened. Thus helps a great deal in improving marketing campaigns.

From the deployment point of view, the integration of SendGrid with the existing email service was quite easy and can be completed easily without great efforts.

Cons

As far as technical aspects are concerned, there is nothing which I don't like.

On the pricing front, would like to add my views. Currently, the pricing plans are available as Free (100 emails per day), Essentials and Pro. The Essentials plan starts from 14.95$ per month for upto 40,000 emails a month and the Pro starts at 89.95$ per month. These plans are good for small and medium size websites.

Would be good to see if a new Basic plan is introduced for a low starting price of 4.95$ per month and offering upto 10,000 emails a month. Such a plan would be highly suitable for extra small website applications who have a limited customer base.

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Going by various product reviews and comparing the various plans offered by different vendors, we decided to select SendGrid as the best choice for our email requirements.
Eddie
Eddie
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 07/07/2021

E-mail Marketing optimized for Professionals

SendGrid is a tool made for those looking for industrial strength e-mail marketing. If you have a small list and want a free tool where you have many templates and can drag and drop designs, MailChimp is the right tool. However, if you are sending millions of e-mails and want to use code and highly technical attributes with tens of thousands of users in your e-mail list you pretty much have to abandon MailChimp and SendGrid is the best tool in the space

Pros

The code editor and how everything is optimized for coding allows for truly beautiful e-mail marketing campaigns. SendGrid can accommodate beautiful e-mail templates that were created in HTML/CSS, you just have to know how to code for it to be useful for you.

Cons

They do not have a way to graphically edit particularly easily like with MailChimp.

To make a good looking e-mail marketing campaign you must know how to code, there are not a lot of templates provided for you to edit or drag and drop. It was not intended as a tool if you would like to drag and drop.

On the upside this got us to learn how to code better.

Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid

MailChimp actually gets very pricey after you exceed 2,000 users. MailChimp also lacks the sophistication you need when you start doing more advanced activities companies like Uber and Spotify do. If you see sent by MailChimp you know it's a small business.

Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

SendGrid is professional strength e-mail marketing.
Masud
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 10/01/2024

My Experience With SendGrid - A Cool Tool For Email Marketing

Pros

I like the forms automation features
It comes with great email management and tracking capabilities
The software makes lead tracking and management easy
It is the best for email marketing

Cons

With SendGrid, we have realized so many benefits and I have no issues to raise.

Top SendGrid Alternatives

Gustavo
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Reviewed on 27/02/2024

Needs improvement

Pros

Quite simple to use which can sometimes lead to limitations

Cons

I had several problems in sending due to differences in the database. the planning of the campaigns is non-existent within this tool.

Fernando

Reviewed on 12/11/2023

Great transactional email platform, very decent for email marketing

By far is the best tool we've used for transactional emails, and the last couple years it has done a good job for email marketing. They have very strict policies against cold email, which keeps deliverability high.

Pros

It is very easy to use and deploy. The API is very well documented and the email marketing features can easily be used by non-developers without writing a single line of code. They have a very nice no-code email builder, but it also allows to do it in HTML for more technically inclined users.

Cons

Though it is a great platform for transactional email, the Email Marketing tools are charged extra.

SendGrid is only really good if you get a dedicated IP, which is absent for the cheaper tiers.

Mailgun and Mailjet

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Better value at the time, better customer service, and our developers liked the API better-
Sagi
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Reviewed on 01/11/2021

High potential

Has high potential, very secure with 2FA, limit the amount of templates you can have in each account and overall ok

Pros

Easy to use API, advanced features, relatively friendly and very secure with 2FA foreced on you and every user in the system

Cons

Customer support can improve significantly (didn’t reply to my ticket for more than 2 months, I had to approach the sales department for making sure my ticket is reviewed)

Carlos
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 11/03/2022

Bad user experience and questionable customer service

I just needed to send emails for email verification and such, I was building a prototype and all good and easy. Things happened and the prototype was put on hold for almost a year.

Recently I restarted work on the prototype and for some reason invites weren't working, I haven't changed anything nor touched the configuration.

After accessing the SendGrid website I found out my account was closed due to inactivity (fair enough I guess) and I would need to create a new account, upon creating a new account I'm faced to a screen that says my account was flagged by "the system" and I need to answer a few questions, one of them is the random username that I chose and don't remember...

I tried to contact the support to find that their support page requires you to be login and funny enough you need an open account to do anything... Basically the support website was useless to my newly found closed account, so I did the other thing they recommend on their support page, reaching out to twitter support @SendGridSupport , which I did, on their response there's this text:
"If you do want to take a look at further options for the deactivated account you can reach out to our HelpDesk by emailing [email protected](...)" - Cool I can get back my old account if I send an email... I sent the email, explaining that I got locked out, the customer rep sent me a pasted response.
At the end I cannot get my account reactivated and need to send proof of my domain ownership(which I updated CNAME)

Pros

Quite easy to setup, integration with firebase was easy enough

Cons

User experience, account closed due to inactivity and without any email or notification.

Customer support didn't even read what I wrote and just copy&pasted a response.

New account flagged by "the system" and misleading information provided by their twitter support.

Enrico

Reviewed on 15/02/2024

My Experience With SendGrid

Pros

I like that it comes with email security features
It makes customer engagement easy
Email marketing and tracking is easy too
It makes the best email marketing solution for business.

Cons

SendGrid has met business needs. No dislikes.

Igor
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 16/01/2024

Decent software for emailing

Pros

We are using Sendgrid as an SMTP provider. It was easy to configure and it is working without any bugs - seriously not even one.

Cons

Weird password policy. They demand from you a minimum 16 characters - even if you are using 2fa. It is not convenient at all.

Postmark
Albert

Reviewed on 05/01/2024

Awesome transactional email service that increases delivery rate of emails

Pros

It's works as advertised. It gets transactional emails delivered on time and decreases the chance of going to spam or junk folders. It also integrates with a lot of software. The free version is great.

Cons

I wish they had better instructional videos and guides to help me with my specific use case or scenario. I had to do research on my own to complete my setup.

Pius
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 26/04/2022

SendGrid

Sendgrid handles all my mailing campaigns and I have stuck with it from day one to date. I like the email deliverability and tracking metrics offered by SendGrid and will stick with it for the foreseeable future as everything works smoothly.

Pros

It was very easy to integrate with my existing stack. SendGrid has really worked hard to make sure it's easy to use their software with other services out there. Most website builders by default ask you to integrate Sendgrid as your emailing service, and that was the case with my website builder. It was really easy for me to get started as all I had to do was add an API key in a provided input field. SendGrid did all the heavy lifting and I did not have to do any coding or even go through the API documentation(which by the way is very comprehensive ). You fill that that is the case in so many services that integrate with SendGrid, integration is light-work.

Cons

It is a little expensive, especially when sending a tonne of emails out and having a lot of contacts. Your email totals low-key add up when you have multiple drip campaigns and transactional emails set up. If you have a small budget it's really difficult to get measurable success on SendGrid as I found out when I just started while having a very low budget. The best way to get the best out of SendGrid is with a substantial budget, and that's a bummer when starting out.

Mailchimp and AWeber

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

I choose Sendgrid because it was really easy to set up with my stack of Bubble and Zapier without any code of using the API documentation.
Thomas
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 31/07/2023

SendGrid - You pay for reliability

Easy to set up, secure and verbose logging and reporting make this an easy choice for SaaS email relaying. While there is a marketing portion to this application, we don't use it so I can't speak of it.

Pros

I don't think the email API service has ever had a technical downtime where it doesn't work in the many years we have used it. The API itself is very easy to use and use the least privileges. Integrating the API into your SEIM or reporting platform (Power Bi for example) is also really easy to do and gives verbose information.

Cons

Email reputation can be a concern in ensuring your emails are delivered externally unless you want to pay extra, otherwise, the lower tiers are fine and still have decent deliverability %'s, typically above 95%'s.

Reviewed on 28/03/2022

After 10 years - they banned by account without notice

I used the service for 10 years, sending telephone call receipts and email notifications from clients sites, not had any issues, then this last year clients started complaining about receiving emails at night. I thought that was odd, turns out that Sendgrid IP address was blacklisted, very expensive to upgrade to a dedicated IP address, so put up with the multitude of issues throughout the year - then last time complained about deliverability I then suddenly got an email to say "We have reviewed your account and have determined that Twilio’s services cannot support the content and/or nature of your business. "

What an absolute JOKE, never host mission-critical email with these clowns - why suddenly an issue after 10 years! and why so careless suspend my account!

Pros

Basic SMTP - no really a lot to like in fact it's awful

SLOW support

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

because I thought Twilio would be reputable, I spend 3,000 a year at twilio, and they just cut my email off like that
Martin

Reviewed on 03/03/2020

API implementation is shaky and there are some 500s that you can't solve

After ending up on a 500 error from their server on a simple endpoint to create API keys on subusers, I made a support ticket. I had some answers at first and then the ticket stayed unanswered for 24 days, after which I went to Twitter to push them to answer me. They did answer me and told me to try using the API test tool to see if that would also produce the same 500. It did, it was now pretty clear that the error was on their side. 2 days later my ticket was simply deleted without any answer, I cannot see it in my list anymore. Despite asking them about it on Twitter again, nothing changed... I would strongly avoid Sendgrid if you're planning on using it for anything important.

Pros

If you use the most basic features of SendGrid, it will work and do what you need.

Cons

Don't use Subusers, ever! If you are a company who will need to rely on their subusers feature to provide services to your client, please don't, you're wasting your time and you're better off trying another provider that has the same type of functionality but that actually WORKS and is more simple. 500s left and right, endpoints that simply don't work, wrong documentation, ...

Campaign Monitor by Marigold and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Because it looked more powerful, but that's the thing, it just seems more powerful but when you use it it's actually not. I'm switching to MailGun now.
Ava
Ava

Reviewed on 15/04/2023

Solid option for our email marketing operations.

The most significant benefit my team has gained from Sendgrid is the assurance that our transactional emails and newsletters are delivered directly to our subscribers' inboxes, rather than being filtered out as spam.

Pros

I absolutely love using Sendgrid for our email marketing needs. Its intuitive and user-friendly interface makes creating and sending professional-looking emails a breeze. The email list segmentation feature, which allows us to trigger email engagement based on user behavior within our app, has had a significant impact on our overall sales conversion workflow. Additionally, Sendgrid's reporting and analytics tools have been invaluable in measuring and identifying the strengths and weaknesses of our email campaigns through real-time data metrics. Overall, Sendgrid has been a game-changer for our email marketing efforts.

Cons

Twilio's email builder is restrictive when it comes to available design options and flexibility. One area for improvement is its drag-and-drop editor, which could benefit from more advanced customization options, such as the ability to add custom HTML or CSS for greater design flexibility.

Anatoly
Anatoly
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

SendGrid offers a great transactional email API, but deliverability & support issues hold it...

Easy integration into our platform and deliverability metrics. Dedicated IP, if you pay for it.

Pros

We use SendGrid for transactional emails, such as welcome messages & notifications. Generally, SendGrid offers great tools to integrate emails into a variety of different application platforms and programming languages. We really like its level of detail when checking on the status of emails. Sendgrid is also free for basic transactional emails, which makes it easy to try and ensure it will work with your application. We use a third-party library called Nodemailer with Sendgrid, so switching from a different service to Sendgrid was trivial.

Cons

While the service is easy to use and offers comprehensive email activity metrics, there are a few things about it we didn't like. First, because the free tier uses shared IPs, we consistently had emails that wouldn't get delivered because of IP blocks. There were a handful of IPs that we had that experience with, and it persisted for weeks -- without any support intervention. Sendgrid must have deliverability metrics on their side as well, so I am surprised they didn't drop these IPs from their IP pool proactively. We had to upgrade to the PRO plan, which was the least expensive plan that had a dedicated IP. We also had to pay extra for 30 days of email history, you get 3 days by default. I'd love to see all these options be a-la-carte, but I get that you need to make revenue somehow, and few companies send enough emails to justify jumping to the next paid plan -- unless you NEED that deliverability guarantee that you get w/ dedicated IPs, which we did.

blake

Reviewed on 19/09/2019

Used to be great but new API is both non functional and not supported at all

Currently we are extremely frustrated and disappointed with both the support and the product itself. I would leave tomorrow if we could.

Pros

Originally it gave us full visibility into our emails and helped us get much better tracking on who was receiving what and when. Important to know emails had been delivered as we deal with large numbers of payslips and emails for our clients.

Cons

Recently there's been a change with their new API which has been nothing short of woeful.

We've had multiple clients either having emails not sent (where did they go?) or sending emails twice because they are getting incorrect feedback that the email hasn't been sent. (delivery report being wrong).

This has been for invoices and payslips which are highly sensitive information to be missing or duplicated.

It's made us look like fools repeatedly and our clients are furious. Sendgrid literally has one function which is to send emails and it's failing to do that accurately.

The response for help in these scenarios has been non-existent at best and negligent at worst despite having been a client for over a year. We haven't had a response to urgent requests for over 4 days and our clients are furious.

• Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 24/03/2023

The best mailing solution?

Pros

I think, that SendGrid might be the best solution for e-mail marketing purposes or sending automated e-mails in some sort of user flow. It really speeds up the development. The desktop/mobile formats make it easy to reliably send pre-specified e-mails.

Cons

Some customizations might not be that straight forward for someone.

Brevo and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid

Too few customization options.

Matt
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

Best Transnational Email App

We use Sendgrid to send emails from our website and our SaaS applications. This allows us to send emails without worrying about local security surrounding SMTP servers and maintaining the servers and services around email. We love them for their free plan as well as it allows us to test and deploy without road blocks.

Pros

The easy integration with their API and out of box integration with dozens of third parties. Easy to use SMTP gateway service and amazing free to start plan.

Cons

Office365 now blocks most of Sendgrids IP ranges which makes delivery difficult in some cases. You can how ever upgrade to a dedicated IP and this isn't an issue with their software. Other than that, have more than 1 api user on the entry plan would be great but what can I complain about..

Mailchimp Transactional Email

Pricing.
Sheryl
Sheryl

Reviewed on 19/06/2022

SendGrid is one of the best EMS optimized for marketing professionals

SendGrid handles all of our mailing campaigns and we are very satisfied with the performance. I like the deliverability and tracking metrics provided by it.

Pros

It's been over 2 years of using Sendgrid for many things within the marketing team. The code editor allows for effective e-mail marketing campaigns. SendGrid has tons of useful e-mail templates.

Cons

SendGrid doesn't have an intuitive GUI to edit like MailChimp. To make a custom e-mail marketing campaign you must know how to code.

HubSpot Marketing Hub, GetResponse and Mailchimp

Cost and ease of use.

GetResponse and Mailchimp

Budgetary limitations

Reviewed on 31/12/2018

Suspended Account for no reason

very poor support experience

Pros

it was quite easy to setup to use transactional emails and there was a free tier to start which is great for startups

Cons

the reputation of the shared IP is not really good and we still landed in spam. the biggest problem we had was that from one day to the other my account was supsended because "we were sending spam". No warning upfront, no chance to react upfront - just the information the we are suspended now. The problem: this e-mail came on a Thursday evening (out of office for me) and I reacted on Friday. The support did not answer anymore so we where off over the whole weekend cause their complience team is available only during weekdays business hours. The 24/7 chat support could not help me either. I needed to wait and we lost a lot of signups during those days off. Finally I got an example from them and could identify the problem. What I worry about is the fact that we did not get any warnings and no examples. If they would simply warned us upfront we would have solved everything right away and we would not have lost so many days without transactional emails.

so - really a very poor support experience.

Cristian

Reviewed on 07/09/2020

Good features, worst customer support ever..

Works fine until it doesn't. I would search for a provider with better customer support.

Pros

It has a good set of features, not many competitors covers all the functions provided by SendGrid

Cons

The customer supports is very bad. It was quite much better before it was bought by Twilio. When you have problems with their platform suddenly stop working (we stop getting emails for 2FA, pass reset, etc in a few days and delivery rate dropped below 20%). Their support was not responsive and their only option was to pay for more dedicate ips, increase or cost by x6....and only for sending a few emails per day.

Mailchimp Transactional Email and Mailgun

Better reputation.
Shuhan

Reviewed on 26/02/2021

Unacceptable random errors for a utility product

Pros

Generally set and forget for the years that we've used them, but reliability has been a major problem recently -- see cons.

Cons

Ever since last September, we've had about a 1% error rate with Sendgrid due to random 406 errors. Based on what we've seen on the internet, we're not the only ones. As a utility integration that the rest of our software depends on, this is wholly unacceptable. Imagine your product, and imagine that 1% of emails your product sends just randomly fail.

Sadly, their support has no drive to actually solve the problem. We've been back and forth with their support for months now with no resolution. The last three interactions are about them asking about a different key in our request, one key at a time. This is the interaction after "escalation". At this point, we might get through describing a single API request by the end of the year.

Strongly recommend to just go with any other vendor that actually works. As a utility play, there is no way you can afford to spend time worrying about whether your email provider is reliable.

Reviewed on 12/06/2023

An excellent email marketing platform

The API is cost-effective due to its low operating expenses and lack of application development requirements. Even as a simple SMTP gateway, the API may execute a variety of tasks. These comprise distribution results and bounce information, which enable proper operation. The original enables MTA SaaS services. It is used to display messages from the service provider and to notify the public of impending announcements. It is difficult to function with an original nowadays since it could be utilized as a spam pass-through by hostile third parties. It can, however, operate safely if suitable security measures and patches are implemented on a regular basis. Using the SendGrid service liberates business owners from tasks over which they have no control.

Pros

An wonderful platform, particularly for novices. It provides free trial packages for life, 100 emails every day, and an SMTP feature that can be linked with a program. Emails can be recorded and Follow Up can be done, as well as accurate analyses through development. There are numerous benefits, and it is easy to create an HTML form to place on a landing page or your website to enroll individuals in a mailing list for a charge.

Cons

Haven't really thought about anything negative with this.

Reviewed on 09/06/2022

Best Transactional Email Service Out there

Extremely satisfied till now and have been using it for the past 4 years.

Pros

The uptime and delivery monitoring service is the best in class. No doubt large enterprises like Uber, Spotify, etc. use sendgrid for their email delivery. Additionally, its overall communication tools suite like Twilio SMS, Whatsapp business make it an all in one solution for all the communication related APIs

Cons

Probably needs a little elaborative developer documentation with respective to example code samples for a newbie.

Brevo and Mailchimp