Patriot Payroll Reviews

About Patriot Payroll

Basic Payroll: $17/month + $4 per employee or contractor. You run payroll and handle your tax filings. Full Service Payroll: $37/month + $4 per employee or contractor. You run payroll, but let us handle the payroll tax...

4.7
4.7

Browse Patriot Payroll Reviews

3,425 of 3,425 reviews
Ann
Ann

Reviewed on 09/10/2022

2-fold Patriot fan!

Doing payroll on my own was very tough and caused a hectic day every week.

Pros

As a New Englander Patriots is my football team, so why not Patriots Software! The name was the draw, the customer service is the prize to keep me.

Cons

Add an emergency contacts tab to the Employee section.

SAP Business One and QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Quickbooks was too robust and hard to use on my own. Patriot Software is much better.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Ease of use. Customer service. Bookkeeping help.
Pat
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Not perfect but close.

I like the payroll part of the software very much. I had a couple of employees with garnishments that had to be processed and this program allows that while the one I was using, I had to manually figure that each week.

Pros

It's simplicity and integration with the accounting software.

Cons

The payroll checks don't list individually in the check register, so it's sometimes hard to reconcile with the bank account.

Doreen

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

No direct communications from the Tax Team results in delays

My client had an issue with the state quarterly forms. Although the SUTA taxes were remitted by Patriot , none of the quarterly returns were filed for the last 5 quarters. After sorting out an issue with the state exemption status, a request was made several times for Patriot to file the late returns. It's been 26 days and still no returns filed. You are not able to speak with the "tax team" or receive any communications from the tax department. All emails, chats and phone calls go thru a general support team. The latest email I received stated the filing of the forms are a "first come, first serve basis". Is Patriot not able to keep up with timely filings for all customers? The support ticket has been opened for over 26 days. I'm wondering if Patriot uses an outside service for tax filing?

Pros

Ease of use, simple interface, reports,

Cons

Tax filings, lack of email notifications

Gusto

cheap.

Response from Patriot Software

Doreen, Patriot is 100% supported in-house in the USA. Our tax team is available by email or phone option 4. It looks like there was some back and forth about getting the settings and exemptions correct all the way up to last week. Our team is working on your request, we assure you. Please feel free to call and speak with our tax team at any time.

Replied 11/11/2020

Top Patriot Payroll Alternatives

Reviewed on 27/02/2024

Simple Payroll software

Love it, Highly recommend to any small business owner who wants to keep track of his or her own payroll, Once setup anyone could run the payroll service if needed

Pros

Quick and Easy to learn and set up.
For someone who does not like to give up control this software lets me keep control of payroll with no worries

Cons

Setting up Vacation time has been a little tricky
Sometimes i vary this policy a bit and hard to keep the service and actual time off correct.

Sage Accounting, Gusto, QuickBooks Online and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

QuickBooks Customer service stunk, was switching to QB online and decided to try something else, looked around and found Patriot to be the best and in my budget. Tried a couple other at the same time and Patriot was the easiest to pick up and did all i needed it to do.

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

It offered what i wanted, was affordable other products wanted more control of my books besides payroll
Anne

Reviewed on 23/05/2024

Using Patriot Payroll

Great experience with Patriot Payroll! The implementation team was easy to contact and helped me with whatever was needed.

Pros

I like that I can get online and run payroll easily

Cons

It doesn't download automatically into my accounting software. But the entry is easy to make.

• Industry: Internet
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 30/04/2024

Easy Implementation

Pros

Getting setup was very easy. I did have 1 question during the setup and I was able to get support on the phone right away to walk me through it.

Cons

Not to sound like a paid spokesperson, but I can't really think of any cons.

MIriam

Reviewed on 25/04/2024

Payroll done in a few clicks!

I am very pleased with Patriot Payroll, I have no complaints at all. I have never had any real issues with it.

Pros

You do have to enter all the necessary information in before you can use Patriot Payroll, that was something that had to be done. How much our state and federal taxes will be and coding the companies correctly, but I did receive online help for that and didn't take to much time but after that I have literally had to do nothing but enter the time, we are on direct deposit so I don't have to print any checks.

Cons

Just setting it up there were somethings I didn't know how to do but your online help got me through it.

Armando
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

great investment!

Pros

Simplicity and complete solution for our payroll needs

Cons

nothing since it has contractors also housing was crucial

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 28/05/2024

Payroll Genius

Verry good experience with Patriot Payroll, simple to implement and understand.

Pros

Makes running payroll easy to use and understand. Definitely a plus!

Cons

Running reports takes a little navigation and guessing, but eventually you will understand how to run most reports like a pro!

Rhonda
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 01/06/2024

Patriot Payroll is user friendly and cost effective.

We have been very pleased with the service.

Pros

Patriot Payroll is easy to use and has good reporting.

Cons

Very little that we have not liked while using Patriot.

Ronnie
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Reviewed on 08/01/2021

Summary

Major benefit is Patriot is less expensive than ADP and easier to use.

Pros

To generate a payroll period, it is straight forward. I appreciate the fact of Patriot taking care of the tax filings. I also appreciated that they automatically added the FFCRA paid leave and paid FLMA leave . I greatly appreciate their customer service personnel. They appear to train them well and are actually helpful either knowing the answer/solution or will inquire with a supervisor to get an answer if at all possible. If not, they are great in following up with an answer or simply responding that they are still researching.

Cons

Navigating through reports could be improved by having a link on every report window to go back to the Report menu rather than having to use the side menu bar. When navigating EE time cards, it would be nice to have the dates appear at the top of the page as you scroll down to enter other hours to ensure you are entering on the correct day.
I would prefer EE timecards would open to the pay period to be entered versus the next pay period due to the date they are entering their hours. Many people end up entering their hours in the upcoming time card versus the time card and time period still to be processed.
Improvements to adding Group Term Life income at the end of the year could also be a suggestion.

Some reports need to be enhanced utilizing the Department data they have recently added. It needs to be an option on which one sort on. Anniversary reports have difficulty calculating total time for EE who had a break in service.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price and difficulty in processing a payroll

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price and salesman was not responsive to questions.
Gandalf

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

Great for tight budgets

Overall, Patriot has been a great tool and it freed me from the clutches of Intuit, maker of Quickbooks. I spend a fraction of what I used to pay Intuit and I get more features with better customer service.

I also looked at Gusto and Paychex, but Patriot was the cheapest option with the most features, hands down.

Pros

I signed up as a Partner and got 50% discount off the retail rates. I like that the full service payroll handles all the tax remittances and reporting. Plus, I generated W-2s with the click of a button.

Cons

My biggest disappointment was the 4 day lead time on Direct Deposit. We typically set up pay periods to end on Saturday, so we had to run payroll on Monday in order to make direct deposit show up on Friday. That left no cushion of time and a holiday pushed the direct deposit back to the following Monday!

The "solution" was to Prefund the Payroll by giving Patriot a "Deposit" that they used for each payroll and then "refilled" to the set amount. Luckily, this worked for my some of my clients, but many of them can't afford to tie up that much cash. This may be a deal breaker for some companies.

Gusto and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Intuit has terrible service, terrible business practices, and fewer features. It was a no-brainer!

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

It was cheaper and had more features. Easy decision.
Carol

Reviewed on 17/10/2022

I'm quite satisfied with Patriot Payroll

All in all, I appreciate Patriot Payroll. It's very fast to run, provides a summary that contains nearly all the information I need in one place, provides a PDF file that reflects pay stubs, by employee and it's all quite straightforward and fast. Journal entries are easy to construct with the information given for summary entry into General Ledger. And I do not have to pay by the year which is one of the reasons I switched from another software.

Pros

Patriot was a breeze to set up, even mid-year and mid-quarter. Payroll is very easy to run and because my clients don't feel comfortable giving access to their bank accounts, I simply provide a PDF of their check stubs for the given week and they write the checks, it works quite well. I am in a different state than my clients but we work by mail and email so PDF files are fine. I have one client that I also use a different General Ledger Accounting software for and I simply journal in the Patriot payroll in journal form at the end of each month. I can break down the detail as much or as little as I need.

Cons

State of California requires a breakdown per quarter of how much each employee was paid and how much tax they paid for State Taxes. This is a little more difficult to put together as there is no report labeled State payroll. Possibly it is there I just haven't found it specifically, but it is always the most challenging part of the quarterly payroll tax process. I would also like it if child support and Cal Savers could be on the same report as payroll tax deductions. If I had more employees it would be a bigger problem for me.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I thought the continually rising cost to use QuickBooks for the small number of employees was too much. Additionally, QB requires a yearly fee and sometimes a monthly fee as well. I just didn't like the feeling that I had no options but to continue to pay high prices. Because I live in a rural area I have limited internet access so a hot spot, on metered usage is a must. Thus I need to keep as much on desktop as possible.

QuickBooks Desktop

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot Payroll was competitively prices compared to Quickbooks. They were willing to charge monthly rather than yearly. Quickbooks had begun to demand more control and higher prices.
Neal

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

Bang for your buck!

I had tried ADP and PAYCHEX before switching to Patriot. As a sole proprietor running a small business, I was not prepared to handle payroll taxes. ADP was so expensive, i felt. Paychex had me depend on a person to take my info and process it. That person was off one day when my payroll needed completed and i missed payroll! That didn't go over well. For the last few years we have used and fallen in love with the simplicity of Patriot. I input the numbers and it gives me a PDF to print onto my checks instantly.

It's all I ever wanted.

Pros

1.) Its simple to use.
2.) Its cheap.
3.) Full featured but lets me print my own checks instantly.

Cons

I thought at first that Patriot was going to send out the Tax documents to my employees. But that wasnt the case. That was a bummer as i wasnt at first prepared. But it makes since that we should send them to know we meet our deadlines and have proof they were sent.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Needed to print my own checks instantly when needed and price.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Didnt seem like bloated software. It did just what i needed.

Response from Patriot Software

Neal, you've made our day! Thank you for spreading the word about Patriot!

Replied 06/09/2019
Noreen
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 14/05/2020

Customer Service and Features / Restrictions

Payroll rules and tax reporting / payments are simplified in one place.

Pros

This software was very easy to use, and as my business grows I am finding the necessary features needed are available to me.
Whenever I have called customer service, I usually have gotten a person that is knowledgeable and is able to help me. There have been times that the person called has not been able to help me, and was able to escalate my issue to someone that could.

Cons

Changes to setting sometimes allow changes that are incomplete. In 2019, I added the accounting software to Patriot Payroll. I updated settings in "Payroll Integration Options" but missed some. I was able to save the partial data and run a payroll.
When reviewing the accounting journal entry that was generated from the first payroll with the accounting software, I saw the JE generated was incomplete. If I had not checked to verify this JE was correct, this would have been difficult to track down later.
This is a big miss, and there should be some warning or stop to prevent this (incomplete data) from happening.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

1. Our payroll process is simple and Patriot did everything that I needed. 2. We added a insurance deductions and 401k deductions and employer matching and Patriot had the settings I needed to add these options. 3. Patriot was cheaper than other options.
Oscar

Reviewed on 15/01/2021

Price vs Value

I like it over all, my only one concern for the size of clients I have is the 4 days direct deposit, I don't like neither my clients the other option of add funds to Patriot to have next day direct deposit.

Pros

The software covers most of the frequently payroll needs.
The price is according for what you get.
Customer service is quick response, helpful and kind.
Easy to navigate between companies.
Easy to set up, the steps guide you very well to avoid any error.
Contains value information of how to get tax account from other states.
The blog contains value HR information.

Cons

The 4 days direct deposit.
It does not notify that the date to run is coming up.
Prefund next day payment.

OnPay, Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

It more expensive for the basic runs I do every week.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price, recommendations and is perfecto for the size of my cleints.
Luke

Reviewed on 08/01/2021

Great Product For Accountant Users & Business Owners

Overall a great experience and will continue to use in the future. It gets the job done and it definitely feels like the company continues to grow and expand the product, always in positive directions.

Pros

Pleasant to look at and navigate the UI; has an intuitive design that usually allows one to figure things out quickly; the reports are top notch; and integrates with QBO & XERO. Also, the Advisor program for accountants is intriguing and definitely a plus, though I haven't capitalized on that quite yet.

Cons

At times, certain functions and the design seem basic and possibly below par than the competition in terms of features and additional (though not essential) tools or options. But I'm ok with this since the product does everything I need it to do.

QuickBooks Payroll, OnPay and Gusto

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price/cost and the negative corporate vibes displayed by Intuit.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Similar to above- Price/cost and the negative corporate vibes displayed by Intuit.

Reviewed on 13/01/2021

Best Customer Service!

Patriot provides a low-cost comprehensive payroll program that offers many of the features and benefits found in higher priced software. The customer service and support I have received when contacting the company is the best of any software we use.

Pros

Patriot is an easy to use, basic payroll program that allows the user to customize many aspects of their payroll processing. The customer service and support at Patriot are top notch!

Cons

I would appreciate more comprehensive reporting and the ability to somewhat customize report layouts to present the relevant information for the end user.

Paycom, Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Xero phased out US payroll.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot offered the lowest cost solution for our needs with all of the features. I called and spoke with a representative from each company prior to implementing set-up and was impressed with the representative from Patriot compared with the other companies.
Elizabeth
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

Great payroll software!

Pros

I was able to scale up my needs without changing platforms or disrutping my currrent processes. When I hired one employee I was comfortable doing my own tax filings and paying taxes myself--Payroll ran the calcuations for me and I did the rest. As I scaled up, it made more sense to let someone else do the filing and tax payments for me so I switched over to full service payroll. It was a seamless transition and has been easy to manage. I still have plenty of control but know that deadlines are met and payments are made. I also really like that I'm not paying for services I don't need or don't care about.

Cons

It is occasionally difficult to figure out how to run reports to get certain information. In time, I've learned my way around but it doesn't always feel intuitive. However, the customer service when I do get stuck has been great! It is usually a longish wait on the phone but they are efficient and very helpful once I do get in touch.

QuickBooks Enterprise and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Pricing and flexibility to only pay for what I need. It has turned out to be as powerful as I can imagine needing and I am very happy with my decision!
Geoffrey
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Kicks Qickbooks aside for the value

It has been great , and the value and ease of access are phenomenal.

Pros

First of all, very affordable. Next, it is very easy to run payroll, the dates are already selected. I just put in the number of hours and download the pay stubs. The reports are very easy to use as well and come in extremely handy when paying taxes, especially at the end of the year!

Cons

I was going to say nothing until recently. A new employee started and she is working low hours however the software was not taking out a federal income tax for her. I realize that is a precaution against someone not being liable if they do not make enough, but it is a problem when the company owes monthly federal payments and the system does not accept a $0.00 when the obvious other taxes are being paid. I'm actually going to have to call customer service soon...

Response from Patriot Software

Hi Geoffrey. The software will calculate federal withholding based on the IRS tax tables for this year using payrate, pay frequency and status. If the employee owes no federal taxes due to low income on a payroll, the software will report the taxable wages AND the amount of taxes that were collected and deposited. In this case the taxes would be reported as zero. Please do reach out to our helpful support team with any questions!

Replied 21/05/2020
Dan
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 05/01/2021

Solid Tool, Some Shortcomings

Performing the payroll function is the easiest and best function. It has been simple to learn overall (with a few exceptions). Those items I had issues with the support team was great in assisting me directly (usually the chat function).

Pros

Ease of performing payroll functions that are beyond my capabilities. Enter all the data and it runs appropriately, collects the taxes, and keeps us legal and current on tax liabilities. These are all functions that would take significantly more time to accomplish without Patriot (and I would be uncertain if they were done correctly).

Cons

Several of the tools are difficult to use/understand how best to use such as the PTO/holiday accrual system, paycheck withdrawals, etc. I did figure out how to use them, but once I did, there were "orphan rules" I no longer needed/wanted and no way to delete them (and no way to make them do what I needed, which is why they were abandoned).
The other issue I have had is the way PTO works (rules are limited and I need to make too many manual adjustments). Also, the turnover from 2020 to 2021 was challenging. I had to complete payroll yesterday (1/4/21) before COB and the Patriot Software had a glitch (per my conversation with one of the Patriot representatives) and we were not the only affected company. I did manage to push payroll through, but rather than 30 - 40 minutes running payroll, I spent most of the day. Fixing issues, answering employee questions, etc.
On the timecard, I would like to be able to simply and easily enter 100 or more charging categories for projects. I'm looking for a new solution because there isn't really a simple way to administer that type of requirement in the timecard system

Reviewed on 25/03/2022

The Pros And Cons Of Patriot Payroll: Everything You Need To Know.

Overall, I have had a positive experience with Patriot Payroll. The staff is friendly and helpful, and they always answer my questions in a timely manner. I appreciate the fact that they offer both online and offline payroll services, which makes it easy for me to stay compliant with the IRS. I would definitely recommend their services to other small businesses.

Pros

There are many things that we like about Patriot Payroll. First, they offer a variety of services that cater to our needs. Second, their customer service is excellent. We always receive prompt responses to our questions, and their representatives are always willing to help. Third, their prices are very reasonable, and they offer a variety of payment options. Finally, their software is easy to use and very reliable. We never have any problems with it, and it makes processing payroll a breeze.

Cons

There are a few things that I didn't like about Patriot Payroll. First, their customer service is not the best. It can be very difficult to get in touch with someone who can help you, and when you do, they often don't have the answers to your questions. Second, their website is not very user-friendly. It can be hard to find what you're looking for, and the layout is not very intuitive. Finally, their prices are a bit high compared to other payroll providers.

Andy

Reviewed on 11/01/2021

Great for Small Business

Pros

Overall Patriot Payroll systems have been very user friendly for our small medical practice. Timecard features are easy to use for employees and payroll administration. Adding payroll features such as insurance deductions, 401(k) contributions and payroll advancement deductions are easy to implement and are immediately updated in the system. Patriot makes it easy to find payroll tax filings and keeping track of accrued time-off benefits for employees. I would highly recommend this software for small businesses looking for an easy-to-maintain payroll solution.

Cons

Some of the payroll tax integrations could be improved on a state-by-state basis. It's not as intuitive if an employee wants to make certain tax deductions (withholding more than just standard deductions). Also, if you have employees who often work at multiple sites, there's no easy way to select the location where the work is performed other than updating the employees profile and changing it on a daily basis when submitting your payroll. Also, it would be nice to have time-off accrual rules built in to the employee profile as opposed to going into the separate module for time-off rules, but this is a very minor issue.

QuickBooks Payroll, Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP
Ted

Reviewed on 22/01/2021

Great software and tremendous support

I love Patriot Software. The tech support is unmatched. I ALWAYS get issues resolved in one call. The software is easy to use, and the monthly billing price makes a huge difference for customers with weekly payroll. I have one client that is saving hundreds of dollars per month.

Pros

My clients love the fact that they can process payroll in Patriot (especially using direct deposit) and be done with it. Patriot handles direct deposit, federal, state and local tax payments and filings, generating W-2's, generating 1099's for contract workers, etc. It makes it all very simple.

Cons

There are really only three things I would like to see changed:
1. If you start a payroll and want to change ANYTHING for ANY employee, you have to abandon all that you have done, change the employee information, and start over. I have clients with 40+ employees and this is something that they dread. I can understand the challenges of allowing the underlying data to be changed, but if it could require just re-entering the employee whose information was changed, that would be huge.
2. If I am helping a client and I want to see what they are seeing, I cannot do it in Patriot. I would love to see a read-only mode for consultants so that we could see what our client is seeing. We do this by screen sharing now, but that is an additional hassle.
3. I would love to see an option to group the data that is downloaded to QB Online, but still shows detail. For example: list every gross payroll item, consolidate employer taxes into one entry, consolidate direct deposit withdrawals into one entry, consolidate employer and employee payroll taxes paid into one entry. I do this as a favor for some of my clients, but it would be great if it were done automatically.

Melanie
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 13/08/2021

This is the only payroll software I've ever used and the only one I ever plan to use

I love how hands off and easy to use it is. I run payroll weekly and it takes me about 5 minutes total. It's completely seamless and efficient!

Pros

When I signed up for Patriot (YEARS ago!) I wanted something that was user friendly, easy to navigate and had an awesome customer service team behind it. I'm an entrepreneur; not an accountant and I wanted a company that would help whenever I had tax related questions. Patriot has fit the bill for all of that.

Cons

The only thing that has been an issue is there have been two times in the last year in which my employees have woken up Friday morning and not had their direct deposit paychecks in their bank account. Given the stressful times of COVID this has caused them (mainly their spouses!) stress wondering where their paychecks have been. Luckily both times I've gotten on chat with Patriot and they've admitted the problem with their bank and have promised the direct deposits would be in by EOD. And they have been. I do hope they can get those kinks worked out bc no one likes to wake up and not have their owed money in their bank accounts. But for what it's worth... the communication about it is AMAZING and most of the time that is more important than anything else.

Cost and ease of use.