Square Point of Sale Reviews

About Square Point of Sale

Square Point of Sale is a mobile POS system available for iOS and Android devices. Key capabilities of the Square POS system include online payment processing, sales reports, inventory tracking, digital receipts, email and SMS...

4.7

Browse Square Point of Sale Reviews

2,869 of 2,869 reviews

Reviewed on 26/02/2024

Straight to the point, good all round

Superb, no issues or anything that would make me want to use a contending product.

Pros

Very simple to use, very clear, lots of features available provided in an easy to configure way

Cons

Payments to the account could be made a bit faster, especially as some vendors now offer much faster payment times

Amy
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 12/03/2024

Square ease of use

Overall Square has been one of my favorite POS systems to use - its easy to use, transactions are quick and they take all forms of payment.

Pros

Square POS is by far one of the easiest forms of registers out there for use with both cash and credit card transactions. Transaction time is also very quick which allows customers to move though lines fast and with ease.

Cons

Sometimes finding the "correct" report for accounting/transaction purposes is difficult. There are many reports to choose from and at times it gets overwhelming to find the report that will give you the information needed for your accounting data transfer

Jae
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 18/02/2024

Great for personal business

Pros

It’s super easy to use and it’s also easy to set up. No complaints.

Cons

Sometimes wouldn’t connect and had to troubleshoot

Top Square Point of Sale Alternatives

Juan
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 05/12/2023

Really good solution, payments and backoffice

The overall experience is very good. I manage moe than 8 locations with bothe in person and online sales easily from the same dashboard.
Things just work.

Pros

That it is an all-in-one solution. It covers your whole business (with some caveats) but if you have a retails store it's all that you need.
For restaurants they're missing some features, but working on them.

Cons

That you can clearly tell it's built for retail. If you're a restaurant user some things don't work out.
Also the online store, they need to put that thing on a diet.

Clover

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

We needed more than what the competitor had to offer

SumUp

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

To be honest, the devices are beautiful. Then the coverage of features is fantastic.
Amaiah
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 06/02/2024

Square Point of Sale Review

Pros

It is very simple and easy software that anyone is able to use.

Cons

The most annoying thing about it is to change the way the checkout looks, you must use an ipad and there is not a computer friendly option.

ROLLER
Dave
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 06/02/2024

Great user friendly dash

Pros

The dashboard is very user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

I do not like that the payments seem to be random and not aligned with daily sales, which can make it a bit confusing when reconciling

Flipdish and Amaka

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

to have everything in one place, teams etc
Elizabeth
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 08/02/2024

Nothing Compares!

Pros

I can't gush enough about Square. Our institution uses it for multiple POS systems, on computers and iPads, and it's thus far flawless. I have used it on the road as well and it's so easy to train volunteers on.

Cons

Not a single con comes to my head! It's flawless.

Robert
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 25/03/2024

Makes payments simple

Pros

Getting paid for a product has never been so simple

Cons

We have zero complaints on this program it has always worked great for us

Alicia

Reviewed on 23/02/2024

My review of Square Point of Sales

Great product to have as a e-commerce business owner

Pros

How extremely easy it is for customers to order online and pay using Square POSf

Cons

The pricing may be a bit much for me and some other companies I do business with

Jessica
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 08/03/2024

Easy to use from mobile use

Easy to use, processing fees fair, and quick payment received

Pros

Easy to use from mobile phone when a customer wishes to pay with a credit card

Cons

When travelling, the app will not work sometimes if I am about of the registered location. Sometimes I am processing client payments while abroad, and I will get issues in this regard

Shannon

Reviewed on 10/04/2020

Excellent POS Software

My overall experience with Square POS is amazing. I have recommended this app to so many people. I’ve known about this product since it’s beginning back when you could get a card reader for free on the mail. This app has always been a saving grace for me. Honestly I will never use any other POS.

Pros

This software is so EASY to use. Literally it’s a no brainer. I have used this app in conjunction with StylieOne which was an appointment scheduling app and it made collecting payments from my clients so simple. I love the sales and transaction reports that I have access to because it makes my life easier come tax time. Also this app sends you daily sales reports to your email. The equipment to use with the app is inexpensive.

Cons

There aren’t any cons to the service. Honestly it’s a great service all around. I can’t see how anyone would be disappointed.

Leng
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

Square gets the job done

My overall experience has been good. Square POS gets the job done. The user interfase could be more intuitive though, but in general it's ok.

Pros

I use square POS, but also as an online payment processor linked to Wix. We started using the simple and small POS at our organization, but then we upgraded to the one with the big screen and that was a big change. I particularly like about this one that the client is the one swiping the credit card and has privacy deciding on the tips. It allows to start and end the cash drawer, which helps to control the cash better. I also like that when there is no connection it goes to offline mode and one can still run transactions with it.

Cons

The part that I am unsatisfied with is that the integration with WIX does not capture names of events in the description of each transaction. Therefore it's tricky to categorize those transactions in the different income classes for our books. I have to do that by reconciling manually wix reports with square's.

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

We still use Stripe because it works better with our donors database. When I started working in the organization both were being used, since we had the investment of the Square POS already, which are pricey, we continued to use Square. However it does not integrates with Bloomerang.

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

We chose square over alternative products because we had already spent over $1000 in POS
Jeffson

Reviewed on 07/01/2023

For a POS system it works as should

My overall experience with this platform is good, I only wish they requested business verification first before approving me to use them as a payment processor but if you have all their needed criteria you’re definitely good to go, there service is quite seamless

Pros

The setup was quite easy, they don’t take up to 7days to process your money so thats a plus, the interface is straight forward. They support various card types for debiting

Cons

You can’t contact them via live support chatYou will be asked to verify your business once a large amount of money is processed through their payment gateway and if you don’t meet all their criteria the money will be held for 120days before release

Square Payments

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

Stripe took too long to process my money to my bank account

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

The shorter time in processing payments
Cortland

Reviewed on 26/04/2023

Square Point Is On Point

My overall experience with Square Point Of Sale is that it’s given me the smoothest online and electronic payments possible and they take a small percentage of everything transferred in and out.

Pros

I like the easiness of processing transactions on this software! Takes away 90% of my businesses financial headaches.

Cons

I don’t have any cons in regards to Square Point Of Sale because any and everything I need the app to do, it does!

Matthew

Reviewed on 04/07/2023

Easy as it gets

The overall experience has been wonderful. It is an extremely easy to use product which makes rolling it out across the country quick and simple.

Pros

My favorite part of Square is the ease of it all. It was easy to set up, it is easy to use and it is easy to integrate. This makes life so much easier when you have locations all across the country.

Cons

We only use Square for payment processing. It is a little more expensive than some of the other solutions if that is all you are using.

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

Ease of use, better control and better reporting

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

We felt that Square was the most user friendly, most flexible and the reporting suited our needs better.

Reviewed on 24/10/2023

Square Point of Sale is Reliable and Easy to Use, But Beware

Our overall experience with Square POS was either one extreme or the other. We were reasonably happy customers for four years, minimal complaints, and then dumped on our butts without warning. Three years earlier we were contacted by Square POS and asked to remove glass product from our POS, and we complied, so I'm honestly not sure why, years later, as loyal customers we weren't even given the courtesy of a phone call or email explaining what the issue actually was.

Pros

Our setup was Square POS for the brick & mortar piece of our store, then we had another software acting as our master of inventory between our store, and website, which was hosted on a different, more robust ecommerce platform than Square. I feel it's fair to say that Square kept its promise in terms of its uptime, and ease of use. We rarely had issue with Square POS being down, though it did happen for a few hours here and there, but again, well within their uptime promise.

Cons

What did I like least about Square POS? That would be the time Square, with zero notice, pulled the plug on our store and website as a credit card processor, leaving us without any modern way to process payments. Customer service IS part of the deal, right? Well, when I contacted Square about this, I was not given a reason, or the ability to appeal the decision. I was simply told to move on to a different solution, and no further information would be provided.

Shopify POS and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

We went with Square POS because we are in the CBD business, and Square invited us to be part of their CBD payment processing program. There's that, and in all honesty, the software is incredibly easy to set up, and use. It's certainly not the most robust solution in terms of reporting, but to cover that we were able to connect to a solid IMS via API. For most businesses, I think Square would be a simple POS solution, but again, beware, there just wasn't a lot of communication from their end on major decisions that negatively impacted our small business.
Jacob
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Square POS offers new and flexible use

Overall, I would 100% recommend Square for new businesses. Start up costs can be next to nothing and it doesn’t require someone to install it. And NO CONTRACTS :)

You can then add on their additional features which should be able to sustain your businesses growth for as long as you need it too.

In terms of switching to square, make sure your existing equipment can be reused .

Pros

Square is offering a software that is versatile and also nearly free for a new business that doesn’t have money to spend on start up costs or an existing business that has been ripped off from an expensive POS company. You can literally just use your iPhone with a card swipe. Or for the brick and mortars use their new and sleek looking square register.

In terms of interface, Squares basic dashboard is free to the public and can be set up as fast as signing up for a email account. You can learn it’s navigation in a matter of minutes and you are able to subscribe for the extras you need like loyalty, gift cards or marketing. Very simple, very user friendly, and the support is actually helpful.

Cons

Switching from a POS company that requires a lot of upfront infrastructure and training, I don’t have a lot of bad things to say about squares POS and software other than the existing equipment they told us we could use hasn’t necessarily been easy to re use. Also you are not able to get as granular in customizing some features as other softwares

Tessa

Reviewed on 19/03/2023

A must-have, but high fees.

I use Square daily on the job. The tattoo shop I work in doesn’t have an in-house ATM so being able to take digital and card payments is a must! Square’s payment processing is a bit expensive but the payoff is fairly worth it in my opinion.

Pros

Square makes taking card and digital payments extremely easy and simple. It’s quick and convenient for both me and my clients. I also don’t have to purchase a POS unit as the small free card reader that plugs into my phone is all I need.

Cons

The fees for this processor are quite hefty. While square’s fees aren’t hidden by any means, and are average for payment processing fees, I really wish there was a simpler, flat-rate monthly fee option that could save me money without taking 2.6% + 6¢ out of each of my sales. Or at least, with what I’m paying in fees, I really should not have to pay extra for other features like email/text marketing through Square.

• Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 15/12/2018

Easiest and simplest way to start taking credit card payments for your office

Great. Simple and easy to use. People have said that their customer service is extremely hard to get hold of, but we have used it for 3 years and have had no reason to contact customer service.

Pros

Square POS was very easy to set up. The first card reader you receive (a simple plug in to an iPad or iPhone) was free. We created an account online, attached a bank account, and created a menu of items/services we provide. Then we simply chose photos for each service or product category so that it looks nicer in the app for our employees. The result was a very simple set up and a very clean looking POS.
What's also nice is that Square POS is good at being able to refund patients if something was charged incorrectly. They also get receipts if they choose to via text message or email.
Changing the prices and adding or deleting items on the service/products you sell is quite easy. You simply log in to the website and make changes. Also, you can turn in options such as giving customers a choice to tip or not.
For being an office that used to take cash only, choosing Square POS was the way to go in entering the world of credit cards. We have no regrets and have no had problems. The correct amount of $$ we received (minus 2.75% of every transaction) gets deposited into our account every week. And we no longer have to hire a collections agency to go after those who don't have cash or mail in checks because they will simply pay through credit card now.

Cons

Square does take 2.75% of your transaction each time. You can find cheaper alternatives, but not with the ease of set up and use that comes with Square. The bigger con about Square POS is that if you have take a payment over the phone and manually type in their credit card information instead of typing it, they charge extra at 3.5% of the transaction.
Also, the first card reader they send you is a simple swiper, but we found that it didn't always work well. Most cards these days have chips, and if you want a good and safer reading you'll want to purchase the Chip reader at $49. We don't regret the purchase though.
Lastly, if you are a restaurant and choose to include the option to allow customers to tip, know that square takes 2.75% of your ENTIRE transaction (including the tip your customers add).

Molly
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 28/08/2022

Square - Pros and Cons

My overall experience with Square as a Point of Sale is mostly positive. We have transitioned our appointments and reports away from Square due to the lack of reports and really only use this POS for online transactions or if we were to do an event outside of our Brick and Mortor. I think this is a positive system that can and does benefit many businesses. For ours we needed more detailed and extensive reports and better transaction fees for our day to day transactions with our customers.

Pros

I loved that Square was so easy to start up and operate immediately. It literally takes minutes to set up and the hardware once it is sent to you is the simplest set up. I think the biggest appeal to Square is that it is fool proof and anyone can get this POS to work for them. The second biggest YES for this product is that it is super easy to take with you to offer card payment options to clients while you are outside of your brick and motor. I think offline payments and the option to take payments on their app through the mobile card swiper is a huge selling point to Square customers.

Cons

I feel the cost of the transaction to the business owner is quite high when compared to other companies. They have one of the highest if not the highest transaction costs. Some owners will charge this back to their customers via a fee (which is illegal in some states) and others could just cushion this cost of doing business into their service prices but it is worth mentioning that it is something not so great about Square. The other not awesome part of Square is the reports. They are very mundane and not very extensive. It is quite clear that Square is a POS system that offers payment transactions first and later on enable the appointments and the reports. I hope to see much improvement with those back-end functions in the near future. It is imperative to a business owner to know what the health of the company looks like at any given moment and transactions is not even close to the only report necessary.

Clover

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

Ease of use and integration
Khalid
Khalid

Reviewed on 05/10/2022

NO.1 FREE POS - Square POS | Best for online payment processing and invoice management

My overall experience with app/software/SAAS can be summed in the follwing points:

A. The given app/software/SAAS has been solving the following business problems :
- multiple payment processings
- invoice creation
-mobile app payments
- attract more customers
- revenue generation
B. i have been able to realize the following benefits with the help of the given app/software/SAAS :
- bring the payment systems to online
- making offline business transform into online business
- allows customers to pay using either credit or debit or mobile payments with and without contact
- helped build trusted business brand and brand reputation among customers
-easy to setup all functionalities at affordable fees

Pros

i found the following features as most impactful:
- lightweight, quick payment processing and mobile
- best sales database management
- builds consumer confidence with its ease of use and real-time payment updates.
- affordable & reliable
- phone app allows payments at all locations.
Yes the product is quite easy to use for:
- payments
-invoicing with customers full details
-mobile payments
- pulling sales reports
- contactless payments
Yes i was successfully able to implement the integration of the app/software/SAAS with my existing business processes quite smoothly and easily as i could set it up with a little self-help, effort, and online training guides..

Cons

I found the following features that were either missing or could be improved:
- difficulty in card reading for payments and chip card reading
- could be made in other dark colors instead of WHITE
- features to make payments by consumers using heir online square account
- fees could be reduced further,
- better connectivity and tutorials to use needed

I found the following features or aspects of the product that are difficult to use:
- freelancers do not get more options
- complex to understand the POS platform
- manual entry of chargeable dollar amounts
- non-availability of phone support
- difficult to customize
No, the integration of the app/software/SAAS with my existing business processes not so much difficult as i could set it up with a little self-help, effort, and online training guides.

Austin
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Square POS

Square helped us with sales when we're at events and with our regular business operation. The rates are affordable so we're still making nearly the same profit and we've been able to sell more tickets and merchandise.

Pros

Square is a convenient way to complete sales transactions no matter where you are or what kind of business you're running. They have an app that's great. Use it in your storefront, pop-up booth, festivals, events, wherever. All of the pricing information and fees are listed up front and it's a pretty good rate. Transactions are secure for buyer and seller. Customer service portal has several ways to get support so you can use whatever method is best for you and your situation. Square can run in offline mode if you need it.

Cons

Inventory management wasn't great but since we don't have a lot of merchandise it wasn't a deal breaker. Square should come up with something better for Inventory. Easier to manage, less time involved.Account freezes do happen with Square once in a while.

Kristine

Reviewed on 16/11/2018

Not perfect, but a big improvement!

Pros

Sales staff really like it compared to cash register and credit card terminal (or old-fashioned knuckle-buster imprinter for our remote locations). Predictable fees, which have been lower than for our previous traditional credit card processors, especially for in-person purchases and for American Express. No monthly fees or PCI compliance issues. Square Community is a helpful resource. Dashboard with a variety of reports works pretty well, and it's handy to be able to generate sales reports or search for individual transactions quickly.

Cons

Lack of good integration with Magento Community web software (only bottom line charge comes through). No ability to easily transfer inventory from one location to another. Problem with cash total on drawer report not matching sales report. Usually cash drawer is correct, which means sales are not recorded properly. This problem has existed since at least August 2016, while their engineers work on it. This lowest cost version of Square probably gets less attention than their monthly subscription products. Daily subtraction of processing fees creates a lot more work in QuickBooks than traditional credit card processors charging fees monthly. Customer support has been hit or miss. We've been misled a couple times. After uploading a file with inventory quantities for each product at each location, which took a lot of time to create, we discovered that inventory didn't start counting down with each sale unless we activated that feature on each product individually. That makes no sense. Searching for sales of individual items can be quite slow because it starts loading ALL items before giving a chance to choose.

Reviewed on 18/03/2019

A cheap, easy, & convenient CC processing alternative.

We take all of our credit/debit card payments through Square, as well as Apple Pay, Android Pay & Samsung Pay. The ability for a customer to pay, sign, and get a receipt e-mailed to their phone while they are still standing in front of me brings a nice sense of trust and completion to each sale.

Pros

It is free to set up and implement initially. Square will even send free card processors (they're the cheap ones that let you take a card payment from your phone/tablet, but it will let you start swiping cards immediately). They help keep track of your sales/accounting for non-card payments, too, as long as you enter in the sales data for them. Additionally, the ability to edit & customize withdrawal options is very helpful. I can get funds deposited on a schedule or whenever I choose to (even instantly, although this incurs an additional 1% fee). It is much cheaper and more convenient than a standard CC payment processor, so anyone with a small or mobile business would be wise to check this out.

Cons

The customer service is a bit lacking. I've never had a real issue with them that didn't resolve itself pretty quickly, but there's been one or two times where I have an issue and get what appears to be an automated response about it. Not a big deal, but when you Google it, on the Square help forums, this kind of response seems to be the norm for most questions/concerns. Fortunately, their system is pretty self-explanatory, that additional personalized help isn't usually needed.

Kendall

Reviewed on 30/06/2023

Simple and intuitive POS system

Pros

The grid view is simple and easy to understand for new hires, particularly the fact that you can add images and order the grid however you like (easy to organize products in a way that makes sense for the business) as well as "folder" items that aren't too complicated but allow you to have more items accessible on the screen. The open tab feature is helpful as we have situations where companies want to leave a ticket open for employees to order at their leisure, and that feature is helpful and easy to use once you understand it. Also nice that the screen for the user and the screen for the customer are separate so none of the annoying "turning the screen" stuff. Overall just a very intuitive and simplified system for POS, I've seen some that are a visual mess and Square makes it simple to work fast and efficiently.

Cons

The tab feature is great once you learn it, but I had trouble at first "saving" the ticket because the system doesn't make it obvious how to set the order as an open tab after you start entering it. There were times I thought I had the tab saved but realized I had closed out of it instead and didn't have the order or card info saved which was a pain. There were also a decent amount of crashes and outages. Cards from certain banks seemed to cause the system to crash, and eventually it would freeze up randomly mid-order and you'd have to unplug. Wasn't great on super busy days when you're trying to churn through customers.