Square Point of Sale Reviews

About Square Point of Sale

Square Point of Sale is a mobile POS system available for iOS and Android devices. Key capabilities of the Square POS system include online payment processing, sales reports, inventory tracking, digital receipts, email and SMS...

4.7

Browse Square Point of Sale Reviews

2,909 of 2,909 reviews
Dan
Dan

Reviewed on 24/12/2022

Square D Point of Safe Review

Ease of installation: Many Square D products are designed to be easy to install, even for those with limited electrical experience. This can save time and money on installation costs.

Pros

Square D is a brand of electrical equipment, including circuit breakers, switchgear, and other electrical components. Some of the features that are commonly cited as benefits of Square D products include: Reliability: Square D products are known for their durability and reliability. This can be especially important in critical applications such as hospitals, factories, and power plants, where equipment failure can have serious consequences. Safety: Square D products are designed with safety in mind and are tested to meet strict safety standards. This can help protect workers and building occupants from electrical hazards. Compatibility: Square D products are compatible with a wide range of electrical systems and devices, making them a flexible choice for many different types of applications. Energy efficiency: Some Square D products are designed to be energy efficient, which can help reduce energy costs and reduce the environmental impact of electrical systems. Customer support: Square D has a reputation for providing excellent customer support, including technical assistance and training for its products. This can be especially helpful for customers who have questions or need support with their electrical systems.

Cons

In general, some potential downsides or limitations of Square D products may include: Cost: Square D products may be more expensive than some other brands, especially if you're looking for budget-priced options. Compatibility: Square D products may not be compatible with certain types of equipment or systems, depending on the specific requirements of your application. Availability: Square D products may not be as widely available as other brands, especially if you're looking for specialized or hard-to-find components. Warranty: Square D products may come with limited warranties, which may not cover certain types of damages or defects.

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

Warranty: Square D products may come with limited warranties, which may not cover certain types of damages or defects.It's important to keep in mind that these are just a few potential downsides or limitations of Square D products, and your specific needs and circumstances will determine whether or not they are relevant to you.
Germaine
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 30/10/2023

A Great Value for your Money

We have used Square for several different ministries. We ghave a coffee shop, a college cafeteria, a homeless shelter and online store. Square is able to work with all of our many ventures with ease

Pros

I like that it was simple and intuitive to use

Cons

I wish the website allowed for more customization in outline and interface looks

Stripe and Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

It had a more user friendly interface and was able to satisfy our needs for all of our various ministries and offices.
Whitney

Reviewed on 27/06/2024

Go through your options

We ended leaving square to go with another provider.

Pros

I liked that you can use it on the go & take payments from customers wherever you were.

Cons

The fee they charge for cards for typing the cards in.

Top Square Point of Sale Alternatives

Nathalie
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 15/04/2024

Can't Go A Day Without Square!

Square has been a Godsend for me and I highly recommend it to any small business owner!

Pros

I can run my business from anywhere knowing that credit and debit card payments will not slow me down.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about Square. They even sent me my credit/debit card reader for free!

Celine

Reviewed on 26/11/2023

Square varies from case to case and company to company

Great as a beginner but not for anything complicated. Can't integrate into many programs. If you just want to collect money and nothing more, it's fine, but keep it at that.

Pros

Square was the first POS that I ever had. I've used everything from the first small swiper that was offered many years ago to the actual POS system in a kiosk I had to taking mobile payments via NFC. It's very user friendly and great for beginners and self explanatory.

Cons

I ordered the square bank and card product so that I wouldnt have to go out of my way to open a business account for a small consultation business I have and that was a terrible idea. I never saw a dollar of the money I was paid that went to it. I never had access to any of the funds and I couldn't ever reach anyone to figure it out. It would show the payments I received but my drawer was always at 0.

Andre

Reviewed on 29/06/2024

Payment's

Pros

It's easy to use and you get a free credit card swipeer

Cons

There's Nothing bad I can say bad about it

Don
  • Industry: Restaurants
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 20/06/2024

Square POS

Pros

Square Point of Sale stands out for its simplicity and design, making it exceptionally user-friendly. From setup to daily use, navigating through its features is pretty straightforward, which is great for both new users and those with minimal tech experience.

Cons

Square's transaction fees, while competitive, are high compared to traditional processors, especially for businesses like ours with high transaction volumes and large ticket sizes.

Lillian
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 14/05/2024

WE LOVE SQUARE

Very Happy with product overall, if its not broke, dont fix it

Pros

First one we tried. ease of use and uncomplicated, we will stick with it

Cons

we haven't found any flaws, of course less finance charge would always be nice

Megan
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 17/05/2024

Great for my small business!

Pros

I like the ease of being able to take debit and credit payments and also send invoices!

Cons

There’s not really anything I dislike about using Square!

Peter

Reviewed on 16/05/2024

Great product! Highly recommended

Pros

The reports are easy to download and follow. Easy to reconcile bank accounts to the reports.

Cons

It’s expensive! Global payments and moneris are less expensive.

Mylinh
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Reviewed on 21/04/2020

Square POS app

This has been great with no problems! It allows me to bill anywhere and review my billing history. It gives me a breakdown of new clients and how many returning.

One thing I would like to see change is the 1099 form. It only gives me one if I sell more than $20K in products a year. I would like to be less and more flexible for small business owners!

Pros

This is portable and accessible from anywhere. I also like that I can send invoices, schedule a time for it to send and set up reminders to the client!

Cons

On the initial setup, my profession was not setup up properly so I was not able to accept HSA or FSA credit cards. It was because there was no option for me as an alternative healthcare provider. Customer service helped me and my issue was fixed!!

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

I actually still have both but the Square app is more user friendly on my smartphone such as invoicing. I use square more for my business.
Jake

Reviewed on 21/06/2022

Every Business Needs Square Point of Sale!!!

Square has seriously helped our business grow into what it is today. And we're still scaling. We can create subscriptions on the go, accept payments online, at events and easily export reports when we need them (super helpful when tax season is here).

Pros

The simplicity and ability to process payments and subscriptions on virtually any device and from any location is super key. And Square allows us to do this.

Cons

We don't really have many cons to report other than it would nice to have some of the new "premium" features included being that we pay about 3% per transaction already but we understand that operations need to be funded (and profitable).

Venmo

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

Square appeared to be easier (this was back when it was just the mobile reader).

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

Square seemed to have a better roadmap and ecosystem of product development.
Caitlyn
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 27/09/2022

Square Point of Sale is a LifeSaver!

My overall experience with Square POS has been a good one. For the last seven years that I have used this product, I have not had any serious issues. It is very efficient, organized, easy to use, and they made it very easy for me to reach customers I otherwise would not have been able to help. So if I had to start all over again, I would once again choose Square.

Pros

I like its ease of use, the fact they make their features very "what you see is what you get" so I don't have to spend much time training others on how to use it if I have need to. I like the fact that everything is very clear and organised for optimum efficiency. I can get to anything I need in a matter of seconds without having to jump through hoops just to find the features I need at any given time. If you are someone who is just getting started with a small business, I would definitely recommend using Square POS, because it took me from barely doing barely any business to having a growing community of customers practically overnight. All thanks to how convenient and easy the software is for customers and business owners.

Cons

Thus far, in the last seven years I have used this product, there really hasn't been anything I have found that I REALLY dislike about it. It's a very simple uncomplicated software and that is what is so great about it. So nothing negative to say.

Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

I chose Square because of its affordability and easy plug and play "what you see is what you get" format. It was great for me when I was just starting out as a business owner and it's been just as good, if not even better, as my business has grown. So I would definitely recommend this software to anyone, whether they are just starting out or if they are looking to switch to a new POS software.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 28/11/2022

Simple and powerful mobile Point-Of-Sale app

A powerful business financial management tool, right in your pocket. It offers an owner/operator to enter invoices from a home computer, or from a mobile device in the field.Super easy to use, and packed with features that provide the insights an owner needs.

Pros

Being able to quickly add a client on the fly, either manually or "from address book", taking a credit card payment, and storing the card in the client file is so simple, quick, and easy.Then, any additional charges to the same client can for a very small "additional percentage" amount be charged to the card now on file, saving the client the hassle of having to pull out the card every time.

Cons

Would like to be able to add "standard service fees", such as a "processing fee", "fuel surcharge", and others, in the same way one can add various taxes. Right now, I am doing it in the "taxes" section, which is not ideal, but it can be done with that workaround.

QuickBooks Desktop

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

It was the quickest to set up, and at the time, had the most features that were easy to use, and the bank was more expensive, and I would have to invest in the QuickBooks software. No up-front cost with Square.
Cortland

Reviewed on 26/04/2023

Square Point Is On Point

My overall experience with Square Point Of Sale is that it’s given me the smoothest online and electronic payments possible and they take a small percentage of everything transferred in and out.

Pros

I like the easiness of processing transactions on this software! Takes away 90% of my businesses financial headaches.

Cons

I don’t have any cons in regards to Square Point Of Sale because any and everything I need the app to do, it does!

Matthew

Reviewed on 04/07/2023

Easy as it gets

The overall experience has been wonderful. It is an extremely easy to use product which makes rolling it out across the country quick and simple.

Pros

My favorite part of Square is the ease of it all. It was easy to set up, it is easy to use and it is easy to integrate. This makes life so much easier when you have locations all across the country.

Cons

We only use Square for payment processing. It is a little more expensive than some of the other solutions if that is all you are using.

Stripe

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

Ease of use, better control and better reporting

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

We felt that Square was the most user friendly, most flexible and the reporting suited our needs better.

Reviewed on 24/10/2023

Square Point of Sale is Reliable and Easy to Use, But Beware

Our overall experience with Square POS was either one extreme or the other. We were reasonably happy customers for four years, minimal complaints, and then dumped on our butts without warning. Three years earlier we were contacted by Square POS and asked to remove glass product from our POS, and we complied, so I'm honestly not sure why, years later, as loyal customers we weren't even given the courtesy of a phone call or email explaining what the issue actually was.

Pros

Our setup was Square POS for the brick & mortar piece of our store, then we had another software acting as our master of inventory between our store, and website, which was hosted on a different, more robust ecommerce platform than Square. I feel it's fair to say that Square kept its promise in terms of its uptime, and ease of use. We rarely had issue with Square POS being down, though it did happen for a few hours here and there, but again, well within their uptime promise.

Cons

What did I like least about Square POS? That would be the time Square, with zero notice, pulled the plug on our store and website as a credit card processor, leaving us without any modern way to process payments. Customer service IS part of the deal, right? Well, when I contacted Square about this, I was not given a reason, or the ability to appeal the decision. I was simply told to move on to a different solution, and no further information would be provided.

Shopify POS and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

We went with Square POS because we are in the CBD business, and Square invited us to be part of their CBD payment processing program. There's that, and in all honesty, the software is incredibly easy to set up, and use. It's certainly not the most robust solution in terms of reporting, but to cover that we were able to connect to a solid IMS via API. For most businesses, I think Square would be a simple POS solution, but again, beware, there just wasn't a lot of communication from their end on major decisions that negatively impacted our small business.
Jacob
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Square POS offers new and flexible use

Overall, I would 100% recommend Square for new businesses. Start up costs can be next to nothing and it doesn’t require someone to install it. And NO CONTRACTS :)

You can then add on their additional features which should be able to sustain your businesses growth for as long as you need it too.

In terms of switching to square, make sure your existing equipment can be reused .

Pros

Square is offering a software that is versatile and also nearly free for a new business that doesn’t have money to spend on start up costs or an existing business that has been ripped off from an expensive POS company. You can literally just use your iPhone with a card swipe. Or for the brick and mortars use their new and sleek looking square register.

In terms of interface, Squares basic dashboard is free to the public and can be set up as fast as signing up for a email account. You can learn it’s navigation in a matter of minutes and you are able to subscribe for the extras you need like loyalty, gift cards or marketing. Very simple, very user friendly, and the support is actually helpful.

Cons

Switching from a POS company that requires a lot of upfront infrastructure and training, I don’t have a lot of bad things to say about squares POS and software other than the existing equipment they told us we could use hasn’t necessarily been easy to re use. Also you are not able to get as granular in customizing some features as other softwares

Tessa

Reviewed on 19/03/2023

A must-have, but high fees.

I use Square daily on the job. The tattoo shop I work in doesn’t have an in-house ATM so being able to take digital and card payments is a must! Square’s payment processing is a bit expensive but the payoff is fairly worth it in my opinion.

Pros

Square makes taking card and digital payments extremely easy and simple. It’s quick and convenient for both me and my clients. I also don’t have to purchase a POS unit as the small free card reader that plugs into my phone is all I need.

Cons

The fees for this processor are quite hefty. While square’s fees aren’t hidden by any means, and are average for payment processing fees, I really wish there was a simpler, flat-rate monthly fee option that could save me money without taking 2.6% + 6¢ out of each of my sales. Or at least, with what I’m paying in fees, I really should not have to pay extra for other features like email/text marketing through Square.

• Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 15/12/2018

Easiest and simplest way to start taking credit card payments for your office

Great. Simple and easy to use. People have said that their customer service is extremely hard to get hold of, but we have used it for 3 years and have had no reason to contact customer service.

Pros

Square POS was very easy to set up. The first card reader you receive (a simple plug in to an iPad or iPhone) was free. We created an account online, attached a bank account, and created a menu of items/services we provide. Then we simply chose photos for each service or product category so that it looks nicer in the app for our employees. The result was a very simple set up and a very clean looking POS.
What's also nice is that Square POS is good at being able to refund patients if something was charged incorrectly. They also get receipts if they choose to via text message or email.
Changing the prices and adding or deleting items on the service/products you sell is quite easy. You simply log in to the website and make changes. Also, you can turn in options such as giving customers a choice to tip or not.
For being an office that used to take cash only, choosing Square POS was the way to go in entering the world of credit cards. We have no regrets and have no had problems. The correct amount of $$ we received (minus 2.75% of every transaction) gets deposited into our account every week. And we no longer have to hire a collections agency to go after those who don't have cash or mail in checks because they will simply pay through credit card now.

Cons

Square does take 2.75% of your transaction each time. You can find cheaper alternatives, but not with the ease of set up and use that comes with Square. The bigger con about Square POS is that if you have take a payment over the phone and manually type in their credit card information instead of typing it, they charge extra at 3.5% of the transaction.
Also, the first card reader they send you is a simple swiper, but we found that it didn't always work well. Most cards these days have chips, and if you want a good and safer reading you'll want to purchase the Chip reader at $49. We don't regret the purchase though.
Lastly, if you are a restaurant and choose to include the option to allow customers to tip, know that square takes 2.75% of your ENTIRE transaction (including the tip your customers add).

Austin
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Square POS

Square helped us with sales when we're at events and with our regular business operation. The rates are affordable so we're still making nearly the same profit and we've been able to sell more tickets and merchandise.

Pros

Square is a convenient way to complete sales transactions no matter where you are or what kind of business you're running. They have an app that's great. Use it in your storefront, pop-up booth, festivals, events, wherever. All of the pricing information and fees are listed up front and it's a pretty good rate. Transactions are secure for buyer and seller. Customer service portal has several ways to get support so you can use whatever method is best for you and your situation. Square can run in offline mode if you need it.

Cons

Inventory management wasn't great but since we don't have a lot of merchandise it wasn't a deal breaker. Square should come up with something better for Inventory. Easier to manage, less time involved.Account freezes do happen with Square once in a while.

Kristine

Reviewed on 16/11/2018

Not perfect, but a big improvement!

Pros

Sales staff really like it compared to cash register and credit card terminal (or old-fashioned knuckle-buster imprinter for our remote locations). Predictable fees, which have been lower than for our previous traditional credit card processors, especially for in-person purchases and for American Express. No monthly fees or PCI compliance issues. Square Community is a helpful resource. Dashboard with a variety of reports works pretty well, and it's handy to be able to generate sales reports or search for individual transactions quickly.

Cons

Lack of good integration with Magento Community web software (only bottom line charge comes through). No ability to easily transfer inventory from one location to another. Problem with cash total on drawer report not matching sales report. Usually cash drawer is correct, which means sales are not recorded properly. This problem has existed since at least August 2016, while their engineers work on it. This lowest cost version of Square probably gets less attention than their monthly subscription products. Daily subtraction of processing fees creates a lot more work in QuickBooks than traditional credit card processors charging fees monthly. Customer support has been hit or miss. We've been misled a couple times. After uploading a file with inventory quantities for each product at each location, which took a lot of time to create, we discovered that inventory didn't start counting down with each sale unless we activated that feature on each product individually. That makes no sense. Searching for sales of individual items can be quite slow because it starts loading ALL items before giving a chance to choose.

Aurora

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

Great as a user and business owner

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an easy to use and up to date transaction platform.

Pros

My first experience with Square Point of Sale was a couple years back as a Receptionist in a Fitness Facility. On a daily basis, we used Square Point of Sale whether it was to buy merchandise, memberships, snacks or sign up for special workshops. What I particularly loved most about Square Point of Sale was its easiness to use and software platform. We could receive payments from the company cellphone, iPad or computer depending what was available at the time. The platform was consistent on all three devices and just as easy to use on all of them as well.
In later years, as I opened my own Health and Wellness business, I went straight to Square Point of Sale as my main way of receiving payments. It has been an excellent tool and is always up to date. What I also like the most is how quick it is and easy to receive payments and it accepts most credit cards.

Cons

Square Point of Sale is excellent for receiving payments and I don't have any negative experience with the platform. The only thing I wish would be that the analytics and reports that I receive for all payments and invoices would be easier to read. I have a bit of trouble understanding them. Other than that, overall great platform.

PayPal Commerce Platform
Kendall

Reviewed on 30/06/2023

Simple and intuitive POS system

Pros

The grid view is simple and easy to understand for new hires, particularly the fact that you can add images and order the grid however you like (easy to organize products in a way that makes sense for the business) as well as "folder" items that aren't too complicated but allow you to have more items accessible on the screen. The open tab feature is helpful as we have situations where companies want to leave a ticket open for employees to order at their leisure, and that feature is helpful and easy to use once you understand it. Also nice that the screen for the user and the screen for the customer are separate so none of the annoying "turning the screen" stuff. Overall just a very intuitive and simplified system for POS, I've seen some that are a visual mess and Square makes it simple to work fast and efficiently.

Cons

The tab feature is great once you learn it, but I had trouble at first "saving" the ticket because the system doesn't make it obvious how to set the order as an open tab after you start entering it. There were times I thought I had the tab saved but realized I had closed out of it instead and didn't have the order or card info saved which was a pain. There were also a decent amount of crashes and outages. Cards from certain banks seemed to cause the system to crash, and eventually it would freeze up randomly mid-order and you'd have to unplug. Wasn't great on super busy days when you're trying to churn through customers.

Tammy
Tammy
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 07/11/2018

Square Point of Sale

Overall I had been having a decent experience with Square but having to spend so much time looking for a phone number and then waiting so long for a person to tell me my customers had to wait 7 to 10 business days for a refund that was caught 15 hours or less from the original transaction was ridiculous. I had to go and get a money order to give one customer for the refund and NOW have to drive across town to now pick up a money order from her once the refund was posted to her account so I can deposit the additional money I gave her Saturday so she had funds through today when the refund posted. A lot of unnecessary running around when it could have been corrected within a day or two not 10 days! It was enough aggravation that I'm looking for another money transfer app for our events.

Pros

I liked that it was a convenient way to accept payments anywhere via my mobile cell phone through the Square App.

Cons

I didn't like that customers couldn't make a payment directly from their phone & that Square charges a higher fee to manually enter a credit card. There was a glitch with square that kept showing a different totals than what was entered $82.00 it showed $82.03. The customer said run it with the .03. Then the next day LESS THAN 24 hours later I saw the deposit total from Square to our bank account and it was a lot more than it should have been. I looked up transactions and saw where 2 customers were highly over charged. (1) I entered $52.00 but Square deducted $520.09 from the customers card, (2nd) I entered $53.00 but Square deducted $530.06. I immediately looked through their website to see if I could refund the difference but had no way of doing so through the website. I was able to refund the difference through their Square App. That was done maybe 15 hours later I refunded the difference and sent screen shots of the refunds to the 2 customers. Two days later one of the girls said the refund hadn't processed. What seemed like 30 minutes or longer looking through their website for a phone number - called to speak to someone and was on hold for 30 min. or longer to get someone. This person didn't seem to care that I refunded these customer's accts. 15 hours or less from the transactions took place. He said it would take 7 to 10 business days to refund their accts. That was large amounts of money for someone to wait a week when it was caught 15 hours or less.