Practice Fusion Reviews

3.7

3.7

About Practice Fusion

Founded in 2005, Practice Fusion offers a cloud-based EHR that includes a suite of integrated features like charting, e-prescribing, patient scheduling, lab and imaging integration and more. Additionally, practices can qualify...

3.8
3.9
3.2

Browse Practice Fusion Reviews

Reviewed on 16/02/2018

Practice Fusion is so easy to use and I create my own templates that fits my Chiropractic...

The streamline of my notes and the ease of using this program. I like customizing my notes based on my practice. The customer service is impeccable. I have already referred many friends to PF.

Pros

The ease of using this software and I get to create my own templates which I love. I have been using this software for over two years and it keeps getting better. Plus it's complimentary with CMS.

Cons

I understand that information are being updated daily and it's hard for the folks to update everything on the site. There are still clicks that don't have the required informations that is needed. I'm sure it's coming!

Alexandra

Reviewed on 22/03/2023

Solid Software

I like practice fusion for my smaller clients that are not looking to grow or expand their practice. I would not recommend for extremely high volume or high complexity specialties.

Pros

Practice Fusion is a great software for smaller practices that don't need all the bells and whistles. It is very affordable and easy to set up.

Cons

The customer service is terrible and it is very difficult to get a live person. They do have a lot of support videos but sometimes you need to speak with someone when you cannot find what you are looking for or none of the support videos are addressing your needs.

Tebra and AdvancedMD EHR

Reasons for Switching to Practice Fusion

The price point was great and was a solid software for smaller clients.
Connie

Reviewed on 26/03/2021

Practice Fusion woos

They are in LA so you have no support until 11 am or 12 pm if you are in the midwest or east. Virtually no speaking support at all. Constantly cant get in and have to get a new password. Puts you way behind . You have a person that is suppose to let you in your account but may not be available. It is cheap but recently raised their rates by 50% without giving any added features. Patient portal is hard to access. The self scheduler is non existent . Patients have to remember a full website address to access. They do not help with the QPP constantly wanting you to redue depression screens and diabetic screens that you already did. So there health maintaince is horrible as is getting labs and investigations to the chart in the patients chart. Lots of extra time. Non existent IT

Pros

Cheap, although they just raised their prices by 50% with no added features.

Cons

No support, now Allscripts owns. They recently increased the monthly fee by 50% but not giving any new features. Templates are a joke. They are not coordinated with P aware or any state prescription service . Still they could not get the labs around me to put them in my charts. Its impossible to up load anything without a hassle. They keep raising the prices and offering less. My billers could never access and you cant talk to anyone they send you instructions in an email. I have to pay for 4 providers when I am only one. Multiple times its down and unusable. They were in trouble with FDA for trying to get providers to prescribe opiates for a kickback and now allscripts owns the company. The referral process is a joke. They only send the face sheet and you still have to fill out all the referral information. Everything is extra now.

Top Practice Fusion Alternatives

Harlan

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Manage patient records

From the beginning, Practice Fusion allowed our practice to fully switch to government mandated electronic medical records. And with that switch it allowed us to earn rewards from the government. As practice fusion has grown, we have grown with it. Although no longer free, it does offer a free 2 week trial period with out having to even put in a credit card number. I highly recommend you give it a try!

Pros

I was an early adopter when this software was offered free. For a small practice that was vital in getting us to switch to electronic medical records.

Cons

As crazy as it sounds, that fact that it was originally offered free made it seem like it was just Cheap That could not be further from the truth!

EpicCare

Reasons for Switching to Practice Fusion

The choice was easy, Practice Fusion was free!
Shannon
Shannon

Reviewed on 07/05/2018

now expensive EHR for features

it was a nice switch after paper charting

Pros

I used to love PF, as it was free to use, and was easy to fax/ email chart notes to other providers. it has easily customization templates, and can integrate billing, and help you catch chart notes with no super bill submitted pretty easily

Cons

I do not like the new pricing structure. It is much more expensive than similar EHRs, and the interface is not as nice, or as easy to use across modalities.

Reviewed on 20/01/2018

Software being managed by morons

Make this open source so that providers can add functionality to their system. Retain your revenue through advertising as you are doing, from labs, pharmacy, radiology connectivity but give assess to tweak simple issues. Then you would truly be the leader so sought to be.

Pros

Free, able to get up and running in no time. Web based. runs on both desktop and tablets.free to the provider.

Cons

Simple tweaks that need to be done are completely neglected. Absolutely cannot talk to support. Difficult to have patients register and if you run a walk in clinic which most places are then forget it. Be ready to type in every last digit yourself. They tout integration with labs, pharmacy and radiology but only those integration to make them money and really i do not care, they should be profitable to remain in business but don't make me use to your product and when you have issues they throw it to a " crowd voting system". As a user i had never even realized that a voting system existed and as a busy provider i do not have the time to read through to find some fix i need already reported. How silly and draconian, who ever came up with this idea needs to be fired!. The founder definitely has no more involvement with this software otherwise he would have seen that no support and inability to adapt to simple tweaks leaves a horrible last. DO not use because you will have trained and gotten used to this and then issues would arise as they always do and you are faced with looking for another. No integration with billing software and this is why. A list of billing companies are given as partners but communication is one way. The super bill flows into the billing but no way to know what a patient owes when they return . There are lots of free clearinghouse but PF in their infinite wisdom will not integrate.

michael

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Worst E RX system - CLunky beyond belief

Pros

Cost cost is great but thats it otherwise its a very clunky system

Cons

The e RX system is unbelievable clunky I have asked over and over to please allow storage of meds that we use repetitively for extraction by a macro . FOr example I have patients in travel med that get the same 4 Rx's over and over . Each time I have to write them all out - Our old system SOAPWARE I could extract these with three key strokes . With practice fusion I am well over 500 key strokes for the 4 meds - multiply this out x 20 patients - you are wasting a ton of time . When sending controlled substances just hit one wrong key on your password and it boots you out of the entire system . YOu have to log back in re extract the patients chart re enter the information . Multiple repetitive screens - YOu enter the directions in one screen it loses them on the next and you have to re enter them - CLUNKY CLUNKY CLUNKY

my OLD SYSTEM ALLOWED ONE TO CONSTRUCT CUSTOM macros - you could construct a letter - drop the patients name automatically into drop labs vitals etc etc Want a note for work - construct a macro construct custom questions and boom the letter is done each and evry time - not so with PF - you type up the letter in WORD and save a copy then enter all the demographics each time CLUNKY CLUNKY CLUNKY

Kerri
Kerri

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

Reasonable EHR Software

We use Practice Fusion in multiple Clinical Locations to document patient information. We have services offered aside from our traditional medical services that need to be documented but not in our regular EHR. Practice Fusion is easy to use from scheduling to provider notes and a great tool for small clinics or clinics where multiple locations need a reasonable software.

Pros

It was free and even though it is now paid it is and EHR with great pricing.

Cons

Prescriptions almost do not look real. When writing prescriptions in this software even though printed on RX paper, the prescriptions look like anyone could have written the prescription. A lot of pharmacies in our area want to call and verify they are real.

Jeanette
Jeanette

Reviewed on 05/04/2022

Practice Fusion is decent

It was a good starter EMR for me but it was not practical - even though it was free. I ultimately bought a different system even though I could purchase a paid plan with Practice Fusion. I was too frustrated that it wasn't worth me trying a paid plan.

Pros

When I used Practice Fusion, I had a free version so as a start-up clinic, this was obviously very affordable. It gave me a web-based documentation system that was HIPAA compliant. Plus, it was better than me handwriting my notes because I can type faster.

Cons

There were no templates for physical therapy - just basic SOAP note format. I had to type everything! It was very time consuming. I understand that now the system is very different and the free version I had is no longer available. I am sure there have been many upgrades in the past few years.

Reviewed on 08/01/2024

Good program

Pros

Well designed, well priced, good lay out

Cons

Tough to get in touch with customer service at times

ann

Reviewed on 26/01/2020

Do not sign up with this EMR. Look elsewhere. False advertising.

've been with Practice Fusion for 7 years. When I joined, they promised that the service would always be free. Seriously, that was there main selling point. Always free. About 5 years in, they sold the company and now the story has changed. Now it's $99/provider/month. I tolerated the issues with PF when it was free because I was saving so much money that I could deal with the short comings. Now that I have to pay for it I want to warn people not to join. Once you join an EMR, it's hard to switch so I feel stuck. There is NO customer service. I've been trying to reach my rep for over a month and no response. When I created a customer service ticket, again, no response. Basic things that should be simple to do are impossible on Practice Fusion. For instance, I can't set up automatic reminders for patients to come in for their annual exams. If a patient wants their chart to be released, you have to download each document one by one. It takes an hour to download a chart. I've come to dread records released requests. If you want to create reports, patient lists forget it. Basic reports are not supported. I've been asking for the same basic technology for 7 years and all I heard was " great suggestion, we will send it to our development team". Then nothing happens. Now, it's gotten so bad, I can't even reach a live person. You have to submit a ticket for issues and no one responds. My office manager has tried to set up meetings with our rep (you can do it online) and he doesn't ma

Pros

Easy to use. Started with the company 7 years ago because it was free and advertised that it would always be free. They lied.

Cons

No customer service. Cannot perform basic easy functions. Cannot send patient reminders to have them call for an annual appointment. If a patient wants their chart released or an insurance company needs there chart, you have to download each document, lab one by one. It can take an hour to copy one chart. The only bulk thing you can download are the notes but everything else has to be downloaded one by one. I've been requesting basic functionality for 7 years and nothing gets done. Now you can't even get them to respond to help tickets or scheduled online meetings.

Alice

Reviewed on 01/05/2018

Benefits do NOT outweigh the risks

Once your new user status is up, and the likelihood of you switching EHR's is very low, there will be no support, and no accountability. With ever changing regulations, payer policies, clinical guidelines, drugs and technologies on market, certification requirements and on and on, do you really need to worry about how your EMR is going to force another change on your practice and livelihood.

Pros

simplistic design, customizable templates, integrated calendar that answering service can use for scheduling, used to be free

Cons

Labs do not get attached to referrals. As a Nephrologist immersed in lab results, this is a key function for me! When remedy ticket is created, the representative talks in circles, sometimes taking a week to reply. One rep finally acknowledged this was a known issue.

One year later, I contacted cust service to request a full data extraction to migrate to another EHR. Same run around. Tried the live chat, no one came to chat, not even a chatbot. Tried the service phone line. Following prompts for "patients and providers with accounts", the recording directs patients to their providers, then disconnects without even addressing provider issues. Tried a different prompt on customer service line, placed on hold by recording, then a live person comes on just to put me on hold for another 5 minutes before I get disconnected.

The direct messaging function for other PF users stings. The messages or attachments cannot be recognized as a consult or lab result etc, only as message.

lab or imaging orders that are still outstanding do not produce alerts. No shows do not produce alerts. Billing issues do not produce alerts. These factors make PF a glorified blog with minimal extra functions rather than a true EHR.

Their attempts at assisting in clinical decision making fails. It is geared mostly for primary care physicians. ex: If the patients last BP was suboptimal, there will be an annoying banner to tell you the last BP was suboptimal. I'm a Nephrologist, patients with easy to control BP do not get referred to me, I don't need a distracting banner for this, or to remind me to ask patients if they have urinary incontinence, or screen them for HCV. You can bank on a reminder to screen for lipids when they get an advertising account from a statin maker.

The fact that their previous CEO advertised that "PF is free and will always be free for providers", and now they are charging a monthly fee or will hold your charts indefinitely should tell you that PF is not a company to be trusted. There is a high likelihood of future drastic changes in cost or service since many clients are captive by the difficulties of changing EHR's.

Paige
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 12/10/2017

We are a small outpatient psychiatric office and Practice Fusion was great for our budget!

Great value for the price. We are just starting to implement the patient portal and find it is another useful tool for some patients.

Pros

We love the price, as a small office (2 providers) our budget was limited and this was appealing. I knew other offices larger than ours that used it and they recommended it as well. There is a lot that Practice Fusion is capable of and I think we are only hitting the surface of how it can make our jobs easier. I really like how updox (faxing system) coordinates with Practice Fusion and we can upload what we need into the chart so easily.

Cons

I felt it was difficult to navigate Practice Fusion, but then when we started using it I was also setting up a private practice so that made things more difficult because I really didn't know what I needed as far as intake templates and how to set up my notes to make it quick and easy. After some tries I think we are doing pretty well. The only thing I wish was different (and maybe this can be done and I just don't know how) is that I could duplicate the previous note on a patient and then I can see in one glance what was discussed at our last appointment and then type the new note over the last note. I list their current medications and past medications at the top of the subjective section and so if this could be brought forward on each additional note then all I would need to do is make changes as the occur and not have to keep a "master" word document that I have to update and then copy and paste.

Amy
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

Practice Fusion Customer Service and Use Issues

We do use practice fusion for multiple providers who find that it works well to integrate with the billing software

Pros

Practice Fusion does allow practices to pretty easily link up with multiple billing softwares, and it allows for simple tracking of patient records and note keeping. It is pretty simple to run a report and see why a claim is not populating into the billing software from PF.

Cons

The option to keep documents in a patient file is not entirely user friendly, as you have to scroll through all of them to find what you are looking for. I often run into glitches in the bridge built between PF and the billing software we use. I also have trouble with customer service at PF every time there is an issue, as you are not allowed to call any more (the automated message will hang up on you) and the online support ticket is slow and cumbersome. I would expect kinder and more efficient customer service now that practice fusion is a paid service

Tebra
M.

Reviewed on 17/05/2018

Recent sale to Allscripts has users abandoning this once promising platform

Worked with this platform for many years until the sale of the company. EHR requires cell phone 2 step log in. The EHR also logs users out repeatedly after periods of inactivity,This results in bacteria and germ transmission among employees frequently breaking sterility protocols to check their cell phones to log back in and results in employees frequently being distracted with personal cell phone use issues.

Pros

Use to be free. Was easy to start learning. The companies logo was "Practice Fusion is Free and Always will be for users." Company was sold and now has physicians leaving in droves.

Cons

Price, lack of functionality in linking with labs and imaging centers. Cannot be used in medical fields such as surgical centers where sterile fields are required because the EHR repeatedly logs out and requires repeat log ins by users with cell phone code entry. Aside from cell phone mediated bacteria transmission staff/employee, cell phone personal use becomes a secondary problematic issue due to the EHR platform requires employees to frequently get them out.

Matthew

Reviewed on 20/04/2018

Great software when it was free...not so good if you have to pay for it!!

Not a bad software package, but it has its limitations.
Customer service has deteriorated over the 7 years that I have used the program. You generally never can get a live person to discuss the issue. Everything is by email. If I have to pay for software, I will find one that does everything I want.

Pros

The software is easy to navigate and has the basic features of an EMR. Being cloud based, it was easily accessible from any internet based pc. It was practice specific in many ways, with certain shortfalls. Vaccine inventory was very good.

Cons

As a pediatrician, I must record a patient weight in pounds and ounces, which you can't do with practice fusion. The basic templates can not be modified and you had to be careful when composing notes (I don't come across too many 2 month old infants with teeth!) either not to pick those elements or go back and really proof read the notes. Log in from a machine that you didn't use previously is a nuisance, in that you have to be verified with a security code.

Cynthia

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

Practice Fusion User Friendly

Overall great system for the price. We chose to stay with them when it went from free to subscription because it was so user friendly and the cost affordable.

Pros

Super intuitive when you first set up Lots of templates available. Customer Service is great about helping

Cons

We never fully integrated with the practice management system recommended by Practice fusion at the practice managements suggestion that it would not work well, which was confusing.

Phoebe

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

My experience with Practice Fusion...

You get what you pay for. We started using Practice Fusion when it was still free. Since they started charging for it, it is has had several upgrades that are really improving the workflow. There are still many things I would like to see change, but for what it is, it's a reasonable software.

Pros

I'm so happy they finally allowed us to add a sticky note to patient's charts. It was very difficult to have communication between departments to notify other members of the staff of patient needs. It is very helpful that it interacts so well with Kareo's Billing Software.

Cons

This program is a little clunky. In the last year they have been making improvements to the usefulness of the system for interaction between departments but there is still a great deal of room for improvement. The reports function is still a work in progress and leaves much to be desired in the information provided and the ease of finding information needed to monitor the flow of a practice.

Ali

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Easy

Used it for 6 years, but i have to move up because of the lack of many features we needed.

Pros

Very easy to use. No need for training. Very simple. Fast. Integrating with labs is easy. Integrating with radiology is easy.

Cons

Not many features that can advance the practice. Very slow in putting new features in the system so we can get more work done.

Tebra

The ease of use
Angus

Reviewed on 26/07/2017

Fantastic Web Based EMR

Pros

It is web based EMR. Our office found it easy to implement. It is great that any computer with internet access can be your work computer. I compared to other EMR's - it as a clean modern interface. It is built to get you meaningful use and other quality measurements. It is completely free to use, so you can try it out. The support is also superb - chat support is better than phone support most of the time. Our office productivity has gone up after we implemented it, something I have never heard about another clinic after implementing an EMR.

Cons

I wish I could eRX narcotics in California. I wish there was a view that had in order all the things that as happened: refills, encounters, messages, documents. I also wish in the summery view there was a pane for tasks in the patient summary.

MYUNGHAE

Reviewed on 14/06/2018

NOT EXTREMELY COMPLICATED TO USE BUT NOT SIMPLE OR VERY EASY TO USE EITHER

ok TO UTILIZE FOR NOW BUT PROVIDERS MAY BE LOOKING INTO SWITCHING IF NO ADDITIONAL HELP IS AVAILABLE

Pros

WAS FREE BEFORE BUT NOW CHARGING. this PROVIDE CHATTING ON LINE FOR THE QUESTIONS BUT SOMETIMES NOT EASY TO USE

Cons

NOW CHARGING AMOUNT PER PROVIDER AND NO TEACHING AS TO HOW TO ACHIEVE TO OBTAIN THE CREDITS UNDER mips BY CLICKING WHICH CHOICES THEY HAVE ON THE SCREEN & THIS PRODUCT HAS A LOT OF CHOICES BUT YOU DO NOT KNOW YOU WILL BE CLICKING THE RIGHT BUTTON UNTIL WAY LATER- NO IMMEDIATE FEED BACK. also PATIENTS MENTION THIS PROGRAM MADE THE PATIENT PORTAL DIFFICULT TO ESTABLISH & TO OPEN WHICH IS THE REQUIREMENT FOR ehr mips REPORTING THIS YEAR . tHIS IS A HUGH DOWNSIDE BEING USER UNFRIENDLY ESPECIALLY THE OLDER POPULATION WHO AR NOT COMPUTER SAVY

Reviewed on 05/04/2023

EMR Easy

I highly recommend the user-friendly EMR, from scheduling, downloading, and uploading sensitive documents the customer support is very good and you can't beat the price.

Pros

Everything about Practice Fusion is very well done from integration to customer support. Very easy friendly software.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like about practice fusion.

Marla

Reviewed on 17/04/2017

Overall Great EHR.

Pros

I love that this product can be accessed from anywhere at any time on any computer with an internet connection. It is very easy to use and easy to customize. I find that the ease of customizing the software is one of the best features for myself as a chiropractor using a software designed for medical doctors.

Cons

I wish there were more reports including patient demographic reports. I have a separate billing company, so I have not been able to combine Practice Fusion's features with a billing software yet. Because of that, when I want a patient list for a mailing or something similar, it is not easy to do unlike running some of the other reports that are built in.

Suresh
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 07/06/2019

NOT FREE!

Horrible customer service and business practice! Judging by other customer reviews of bad quality product I would dissuade anyone from signing up for their subscription software! Would not recommend signing up for this software subscription to anyone.

Pros

I have never used this software but I am stuck paying for it thanks to the fraudulent business model that this company follows to gain revenue

Cons

I signed up for Practice Fusion on March 21st 2019. Due to pending litigation I was forced to delay the opening of my clinic and sent in a email as well as physical copy of cancellation notice on April 10th (well within the 30 day time window for cancellation without charge. Despite several attempts to cancel service, The company continues to bill me citing I had a year long obligation even though their contract clearly states that I can cancel within the first 30 days of signing up without any obligations.

I recently received a notice that my account is being sent to collections in June 2019. I am trying to reach the company to find out why I am still being charged without any response from them. It seems their business model is to sign people up and keep charging them even after cancellation on one pretext or another. Horrible customer service and business practice! Judging by other customer reviews of bad quality product I would dissuade anyone from signing up for their subscription software!

Shirley

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

It was a great Free EHR, still a decent deal with the cost version

It's a relatively easy to use EHR, especially for practices who don't have a lot of complicated setup and need something affordable.

Pros

Our billing company recommended this product to several of our offices who needed EHR but couldn't invest thousands of dollars. This was a great option for them at the free level. Now it is a paid subscription. It's still a reasonably priced version, but needs some enhancements to compete.

Cons

Getting help was complicated--and getting enhancements implemented was also complicated. We had several clients ultimately abandon it when it became paid because they could get more features with other platforms.