eM Client Reviews

About eM Client

eM Client is a fully-featured desktop email client for Windows and macOS. Beyond email management, the system also offers features for management of calendars, tasks, events, contacts and notes, and integrates chat. The...

4.1
3.7

Browse eM Client Reviews

Reviewed on 26/06/2018

Great email, calendar, contacts, and task manager.

It has completely replaced MS Outlook. I use it multiple times a day for all my email, calendar, contacts, and task management functions.

Pros

Synchronizes well with Google email and calendar. Easy to use layout with all of the features I want in a combination email, calendar, contacts manager. Pulls up email correspondence chain in separate view. I can customize views, categories, themes, etc.

Cons

Does not have a corresponding Android version. The contacts sync has sometimes resulted in duplicate entries. There is a duplicates tool to remove duplicates but it would be nice to have an easier to use merge contacts function added.

Reviewed on 23/06/2022

eM Client is one of my most important daily/hourly tools

I've been using it for years because no other email client works as well, at least for what I need. I don't want to have my email stored on the external servers, I want local copies (leaving them on the server as well for remote access) and that means a local client on my desktop computer. I combine it with MailWasherPro and together my email experience is painless.

Pros

Multiple accounts, easy auto-configuration of new accounts. Customizable aliases on accounts.

Cons

Confusion over how many inbox folders there are.

Harold
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 20/05/2019

Not recommended

Again, I like the concept and the thought behind the product but would consider it too unstable for business use. The good thing is that the repair process works, the bad is that you have to do it so often.

For a product that has so many nice features for efficiency, to have the conversation thread backwards so that for each email you have to page down to find the last response is hard to understand why they did that. They seem to be confused between a texting program that shows the most recent at the bottom (but also opens at the bottom so the most recent is where it opens) and an email client where the most recent is normally at the top so you see the response immediately.
These items make this program an also run that I will be keeping an eye on because I really like the design and if they get them resolved then it will be one of my favorites. But still cannot be recommended at this time.

Pros

The concept and design of the program is excellent.

At least in theory it is well thought out and has several useful features. I particularly like the ability to click on an email and see on the right side the contact information as well as every email to and from that person as well as every attachment sent and received. This is a huge feature for me.

The ability to quickly generate a task from an email or create a calendar event is also really nice.

Unlike some other reviewers, I found the tech support to be reasonable. Then again, I am a computer expert and provide expert testimony on computer systems and software for court purposes and so had very few issues with setup.

Cons

Although I like the design of the software, I could never recommend it for use in a business. I view it more as a curiosity for personal use. The primary reason is that in the five weeks I have used the software there have been multiple instances of being unable to read email or the software attempted to display an attachment inline and so it just looked like garbage. Each time I contacted tech support and the fix was the same... either rebuild the software account or delete it and create it again. Luckily I was using IMAP so it was not an issue deleting and recreating the accounts. So, I used it five weeks and rebuilt or deleted and recreated email accounts seven times. This is a big issue.

Another problem is the very strange an unusual way they display an email conversation. I wrote to tech support about this and they indicated that it is the way it is supposed to work and the way that all email clients work. Uh, no. I have not seen any other email client that displays your email conversation starting with the oldest email and continuing down to the most recent. I understand that is the way a conversation occurs and you can read it from the beginning to the end but in reality I do not know anyone who wants to open their email and page down multiple times to find the person's response. I want to see the response when I open the email. If I need to see the prior email they are responding to then I will scroll down and see that one.

Top eM Client Alternatives

Ricardo Sandy
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Reviewed on 31/08/2019

The A Team of E-mail Client

I used to spend too much time logging into different e-mail providers just to check e-mail messages and communicate with colleagues and clients. Now I only need to open my eM Client software and see all e-mail accounts in one integrated dashboard. There is no more hassle and productivity has increased manyfold during my use of this software.

Pros

I like its superb functionality and flexibility. You can add accounts for the majority of e-mail providers, create contacts and tasks, subscribe to internet calendars, use Google Hangouts directly from within the software without having to logging into your Gmail account, assign labels to e-mail threads with different colors. The greatest advantage is that you can purchase a lifetime license at a bargain and receive all future updates for free.

Cons

It lacks official themes and seldom releases feature updates.

Zoho Mail

Reasons for Choosing eM Client

I made the switch because I was looking for a more flexible and secure software at a great price.

Reasons for Switching to eM Client

I chose eM Client over this alternative product because I liked the pricing scheme and all features and benefits that it might offer to users.
Desiree
  • Industry: Internet
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 12/04/2020

Great Product, Just One Major Kink

I had to uninstall eM Client and go back to Thunderbird which has a lot more functionality than eM, but I don't need all of that. I liked that eM was a kind of "middle of the road" (just the right amount) of functionality/features AND they have a nicer GUI than Thunderbird (more modern). But, the syncing errors and issues just drove me crazy. So, I'm back with Thunderbird for now. I may try them again in the near future to see if the kinks were worked out or if it just all of a sudden will sync right with my accounts, because they are worth a second look. If you are someone that needs a little more than just very basic functions, but don't want over kill and aren't a highly advanced email client user, then I will definitely consider eM Client. You may not encounter the issues I did....they are worth a look!

Pros

I loved the UI of the email client and that they allowed a few emails accounts in their free version. I loved the price on the full/pro version as well and was going to purchase if it weren't for one large kink....But, I will say this: even though the issues wasn't resolved in my case, the customer support and moderators on their forum were all very helpful and responded pretty quickly. I just wish the issue had been able to be fixed because I really did like the software, functionality/features it offered, and the price point to be able to add all my email accounts.

Cons

I kept having sync error problems with my MS emails and my Gmail. I didn't have 2FA initialized so an app password was not needed. Using my email and login (standard setup) should have worked just fine, but i think that there were syncing or connection issues at the time I used it.

Mailbird

Reasons for Choosing eM Client

I wanted something with a more modern UI, and slim-lined, a little less features so I didn't get lost in functionality overkill.

Reasons for Switching to eM Client

Didn't have the possible spyware (Facebook plugin) that MailBird has and Mailbird was fairly pricey due to all their features. Mailspring was fine, but then started glitching and never responded to support emails asking questions on how to fix, so I just completely uninstalled that one.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

eM Client Review by Bosworth

It is my sole email reading program on 2 computers.

Pros

It is comparatively easy to use and has more useful features than more basic programs.

Cons

Searching sometimes doesn't work, or at least seems problematical searching email content area. Email not containing search request yields emails not containing requested terms.

Response from eM Client

Thank you for the feedback! If you ever encounter search inconsistencies, please consider sending us details (what the searched term was, EML of the message that was found incorrectly or not found via right-click>Save as, and your search settings in the drop-down of the search tab) so we can look into it!
Contact either support or [email protected], we'll be happy to resolve any problems.

Replied 24/06/2022
Sandra

Reviewed on 04/10/2022

Mid-Tier Email Client

I would describe my overall experience as mid-level. The support experience was above and beyond
I worry that the malfunctions I experienced were isolated incidents or due to some outside factor such as our computers or connection. I just didn't have the time to continue to try and address it -- I needed a solution yesterday. I would advise reading a number of reviews before making a decision.

Pros

- Affordable fair Price. Lifetime license.
- High Security. Updates.
- Practical. Implementation in a reasonable amount of time.
- Reduce time spent on email. Funnel all accounts and emails.
- Support experience went well.
- User forum.
- Updated look.

Cons

- Purchase needed -- features are comparable to free email clients.
- Malfunctions. Performance and reliability were inconsistent. Emails did not synchronize.
- Calendar and filter missing features..

Mailbird and Thunderbird

Reasons for Choosing eM Client

Outlook is not practical and causes time management to suffer.

Microsoft Outlook
Sergio
  • Industry: International Trade & Development

Reviewed on 04/08/2019

My preferred email client for desktop

I'm very happy with emclient. It's the only desktop platform I found that made me change from browser mail platform to desktop platform again.

Pros

It's the best email client I could find. It's clean, simple, easy to use, full of features included. Feels clean and smooth to use. I can use many email accounts in the same platform as if they were just one.

Cons

Nothing at all. I like all aspects of the browser, I can't tell of something I don't like by now. Maybe an option to send recurrent emails would be great, and even greater: an option to automate follow up emails until a reply is received.

Mailbird

Reasons for Switching to eM Client

Is most clean, smooth, fastest client in my opinion. Just needed functions are included, not garbage.
Patrick

Nice Alternative email app

Pros

Importing my data from MS Outlook was so easy I didn't actually realize that it happened except for the prompts to let me know that it was trying. I like the layout of the program as it just make sense to me to have the emails list on the side and the reading or preview pane beside it.

Cons

The only thing I would add would be a way to delete emails by single click instead of the Right Click option. Otherwise, there is not much to dislike about this app.

Thunderbird

Reasons for Choosing eM Client

Price and it is not Microsoft.

Reasons for Switching to eM Client

Price, ease of use, ease of setup and importing.
Matt
Matt
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Terrible Latency/Lagging and Unusable & Unpredictable Signatures

I used this product for several years, and I have finally given up. It's just awful.

Pros

It's easy to setup. Other than that, there's nothing I like about it.

Cons

Locks up my computer ALL THE TIME when processing new e-mail in any of my half dozen or so accounts. I can't have an application that makes my computer unusable while it "thinks." It's just unbearable, and I have switched to MailBird, which is much faster and doesn't lag or freeze up my system.

I never could get the signatures and templating to work correctly. My signatures look awful, and I have a fairly robust graphic design skill set. I would set my signature to use a Calibri 12, and it would look like 18 while the template setting for composing e-mails was set to the same font and size, and the text looked tiny.

Response from eM Client

Hello,
We're very sorry to see that you experienced such problems in the application. If you ever decide to give us a second chance, feel free to contact our support at [email protected] and we'll do everything we can to help you.

eM Client Team

Replied 11/11/2020
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 14/06/2023

Great product but has fatal flaw

It's a great app, until you lose all of your emails and settings.

Pros

eM Client makes it easy to manage multiple email accounts from one app. There are a ton of customization features that allow you to set things up to look and function exactly the way you want. I haven't found any other app that provides all of the functionality and customization features that eM Client does.

Cons

I use eM Client with Windows 10. I have automatic updates turned on in Windows. Occasionally, Windows 10 will automatically re-boot the computer. When this happens, if eM Client is open, you lose all of your settings AND all of your email messages. It is very disruptive and quite frightening, and it takes a long time to restore everything, especially if you manage a lot of different email accounts. I've contacted eM Client's customer support several times about this, but they refuse to do anything about it.

Response from eM Client

Thank you for your review.

System updates/restart should definitely not cause a loss of data, the database just might need to be checked.
If this is something that tends to happen on your device, I recommend enabling and using the Automatic backup feature (Menu>Settings>General>Backup) for example at least once every week or even every day. If something happens to your database, then you just need to use Menu>File>Restore to get all your settings, accounts and data back.

Replied 18/09/2023
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 30/08/2019

Great e-mail option

My overall experience is very positive and I anticipate that I wil continue to use eM Client for the foreseeable future

Pros

The software is easy to install and generally easy to use. It has a few quirks, but once you get used to those, it is very good.

Cons

The software has a habit of backing up, usually when I need to use it, which can be frustrating. It also has a habit of creating an error when it closes, not only when it is closed because for example the laptop crashes, but also when it is closed down properly. This results in a need to check and validate the database. Whilst I have not yet lost any data, the checking is problematic if I am in a rush and for example only turned on the laptop to do a quick e-mail.

Response from eM Client

Hi David,

Thank you for your review. Did you contact our support regarding the closing problems? Our tech staff answers to every email/ticket they get so if you write to us at [email protected] we can help you to resolve the problem.
Or you can contact me directly.
George

Replied 06/09/2019
Leigh
  • Industry: Program Development

Reviewed on 09/03/2023

Good platform, the best I have found so far

My overall experience has been good. Support provides decent answers, but can be a little slow in responding.

Pros

The platform has an easy to use interface and handles a large number of disparate email services without isse.

Cons

The lack of EAS support is an issue and essentially seems to leave Outlook as the only option in too many cases.

Thunderbird and BlueMail

Reasons for Choosing eM Client

Outlook for Windows does not have a full function interface with gmail (Calendar and Contact)

Reasons for Switching to eM Client

Feature set and user interface
Dominik
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 19/02/2020

very good, with one huge problem

perfect with one propblem, like above.

Pros

rules, view's, graphics, basicly, everyfhing was as I wanted and work with this tool was always easy to find etc.

Cons

problem was , the software always was loosing some catalogs with emails and later it was download them again. mails, never was fully downloaded. and sometimes, from last several hours , only some emails was downloaded. others I was need to restart software or get emails by www.
support neber solve this problem.
maybe it was too many email (overt 100k on my account), but not supose to be, there is no limit.

Postbox

price

proce, visualization, working
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 23/09/2020

Good software, strange licensing

Poor. Software is decent, but slow support and difficult point of purchase licensing make it not worth the hassle. We have 50 potential users but won't be working with eMClient.

Pros

It is an email client, pretty straightforward. Good clean interface, good connectivity between o365 and Google apps accounts.

Cons

I demo'd the software personally to see how it worked for organizational consideration. So I bought a license for my computer. After a while I wanted to put it on my laptop too to stay consistent (majority of time is at desktop, some meetings and travel with laptop). However, I discovered the software is machine licensed, not user licensed, so need to buy separate licenses. No ideal but not a big deal, I went through their website and there was mention of volume discounts.

I reached out to support, which is very weak. Some language barriers which is okay, I can work with that. However, an attempt to purchase extra licenses took close to two weeks for a reply (weeks, not days).

The response was even more baffling. If you buy two licenses 'at the same time' there is a deep discount. But if you buy one, then another the next day (for the same user, or even group of users) there is no discount. We have no problem paying full price for user licensing (desktop and laptop), or no problem with a volume system for users adding multiple machines. Why would you offer deep discounts, and then take that away when an organization wants to buy your software? Either have discounts or don't, but that's a strange carrot to wave and then pull back. Then there is the issue of waiting weeks for confusing answers that need clarification.

Ted

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Former Outlook User

It fulfills my daily email needs for my business and personal correspondence. I have 4 regularly used email addresses through which I correspond.

Pros

It was mostly familiar in design to what I previously used. I was used to a email client that allowed me to have a large, nested, easily accessible filing system for correspondence.

Cons

I get error messages at times regarding my movement of filed correspondence within the application. I don't know how to correct the problem. Thus, I receive repeated error messages.
Also, when replacing my old tablet computer with a new one, the process for getting the "PRO" version on my new machine was not as clearly defined as I would have liked. I succeeded with Stepan Busek's help.

Response from eM Client

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your review. Did you contact our support regarding the connection problems? Our tech staff answers to every email/ticket they get so if you write to us at [email protected] we can help you to resolve the problem.

Or you can contact me directly.
George

Replied 06/09/2019
Ben
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Easy-to-use alternative to Thunderbird with a much better user interface

Overall I have enjoyed my experience with eM Client much more than that with Outlook (obviously) and Thunderbird. I haven't had to recover an automatic backup but it's assuring to know I'll always have a backup ready when my computer inevitably dies.

Pros

The simple and clean UI helps me focus on priority emails while staying organized and efficient. The Conversations feature really helps to keep interactions simple and straightforward. The amount of options available is very refreshing, especially for someone as detail-oriented as I am.

Cons

When emails are displayed by conversation, any email with the same subject gets lumped in making it appear as if those emails are part of the same interaction. This can get complicated fast when a colleague includes you in multiple emails to different people with the same subject line. However, once you get used to it, it's easy to ignore.

Rebeca

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

Tried to get support and was ignored

Pros

The software itself is good until you have a problem with it and need support. It's functional and easy to set up.

Cons

The customer support is non existent. They are in another time zone which totally clashes with American time zones, so they expect you to be on your computer at 5 in the morning to get help. When I complained about it, they ignored me completely and now my tickets will go unanswered.

Response from eM Client

Hello Rebeca, so far our support is located in Europe only, but we are trying hard to help every our customer from opposite time zones, even during our night hours, and even if they need remote assistance. Another remote assistance session with you is planned for today, 9 AM your time, so I believe this time everything will be all right.

Thank you, Peter.

Replied 27/04/2018
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Apart from support, good product

A bunch of stooges, in my opinion. Good product but silliness in the support.

Pros

Great methods and ease of use in organizing emails in folders

Cons

Support is close to non-existent. Good luck trying to phone or chat with them directly. Everything has to be my email and takes days.

Response from eM Client

Thank you for your review, we're sorry that you were not satisfied with our support.
Telephone support is indeed not available, but our technicians can be reached via an online center so we can help even when you cannot use your email - https://support.emclient.com/
You can also request remote support via TeamViewer when needed.

Replied 17/01/2023
Marco
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Already proven

Pros

emClient is fast and much more important robust. It's already proven over several years in daily business. R&D takes into account ideas of users for further development

Cons

I would like to have a chance to configure the design of the displayed address in card view.

• Industry: Design

Long Time User

It's been so many years of use that I can't remember when I first started using eM Client. The experience has consistently improved. Having a clean user interface is important.

Pros

Straight forward presentation of inboxes and emails. No fooling around. I particularly like the option of downloading pictures and control of email tracking.

Cons

Nothing, everything I use works. Perhaps if I was a power user I could add something to say.

Andy

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

Fantastic Product

eM Client has been a great help to our school. it is very economical and easy to use.

Pros

eM Client works great. The updates continue to make it better. It has an integrated email client and calendar that help keep me organized. It works great with gmail.

Cons

Emails off the server still show up as unread even if they have been read and deleted from another application.

• Industry: Design

Reviewed on 05/01/2021

Great Outlook Alternative

Pros

Honestly, it was the cost. I've been using the free version for years. It does all I need for email and calendar for my business. They update the free version about once a year and I've never had an issue with an update.

Cons

Limited to the number of email accounts it allows (I think it's 2) but that's only for the free version so I really can't complain.

Diane
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 27/06/2017

I have really benefited from this software because I have to monitor several inboxes.

I feel at ease that emails are being monitored in a timely matter.

Pros

I love that I can monitor several email accounts without having to juggle multiple browser tabs. Using eM Client everything is in one central location. It's very easy to navigate and helps keep me very organized.

Cons

I don't have a major con but I do think there may be future updates to this software because I manage a lot of emails and it seems to work better when I keep the emails at a minimum.

Response from eM Client

Hello Diane, thank you for your positive review, we are glad that you like eM Client. Of course, we are constantly developing and updating it, for example now in version 7.1 we have added a simple way how to sign and encrypt your messages via PGP.

Anyway, if you have any troubles, please don't hesitate contact our online support.

Thanks, Peter from eM Client

Replied 28/06/2017
Ankit
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 31/08/2019

Mail box

Overall experience so far is good as i am using it on daily basis.

Pros

1.It is easy to use interface.
2.It also offers calendar and contacts.
3.It also supports very easy way how to send encrypted mails using PGP,
4.It is very easy to import your data.

Cons

1.sometimes you are unable to get who is sending the mail , as it looks as a chain and you need to find out who is the actual sender.
2.we can add colums and rows easily.
3.It is unstable for business use.
4.it is for personal use only.
5.It takes so much of time to create a box or rectangle so that’s annoying.