About Aplos

Aplos is a cloud-based system designed specially to serve the needs of nonprofit and church organizations. The Aplos platform includes fund accounting, online donation management, reporting functionalities, fundraising tools,...

Browse Aplos Reviews

Wendy A.

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

APLOS Software for my Small (but growing) Church

The people at APLOS are great to work with. Easy to reach out to, quick to respond, They are really good at listening to my particular need and showing me how APLOS helps with it vs. just a generic response. Also, you can't beat the price. (I got a Black Friday 50% off special for a year). I looked at other options - some were too much for my need (both cost and complexity) and some could be made to work (Quickbooks for example) but were not really designed for a church. This is PERFECT for us.

Pros

I purchased this software to help me take on a new role as treasurer of a small church. Am about 6 weeks into a "practice period" and will wipe out my practice data and start clean in January. It has (almost) everything I could want and some things I did not expect. The people database for church members, vendors, & prospects supports communication and there are robust accounting features (budgeting, bill pay, offerings, etc.). It has predesigned reports of all kinds that can be easily customized. You can import and export data. And it is really easy to use. Clearly designed for non-professionals like me - a volunteer doing a treasurer's job. Loved it from the first time I started playing with it during the free trial period. Also the resources (webinars, academy, one on one support) are great! Have watched several webinars, and chatted with people in customer support several times to get specific guidance/suggestions on my questions.

Cons

Have found only 2 things missing so far: 1) My pastor wants the ability to use the letter/email functions to communicate with members (uses the contact database) without seeing their donation records - and right now that "separation" isn't available. Also in recording donations, I would like to differentiate between cash and check because you need that info to make your bank deposit. APLOS doesn't provide for that. There's a workaround but not a great one. Customer Service made note of both of these needs for future releases.

Dr rev brian M.

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Aplos Software Review: Why it's the best Software for Small Non-Profits

I would recommend it to anyone who needs both an accounting and donor management solution for their non-profit organization.

Pros

A complete package that handles both your accounting needs and donor management needs.
Is very affordable.
Aplos has a program for new non-profits that makes it even more affordable.
Has a program that does email marketing for you and collects emails thus building your donor base.
Lets you design online web pages to post.
Form 990 Reporting.
Excellent Customer Service and will schedule regular calls with you to train you on the software. However it's easier to use than QuickBooks.
Directly links to your checking account so that your balances are updated continuously.
Takes online payments through WePay
Can manage up to 5000 contacts.
Contribution statements emailed to your donors.
Can Integrate with Paypal

Denise S.

Reviewed on 20/08/2014

Aplos is perfect for Non-Profits who want easy bookkeeping.

Pros

It is affordable for every non-profit. It is very simple and basic to use, and they have great customer service. They saw a need for non-profits to have an easier way of doing their finances other than Quickbooks and met that need at a very affordable price, which is very important to non profits. Simplicity is important because often, the bookkeeper is a volunteer and does not have the experience required to use a cumbersome program like QuickBooks. I like that they allow you to use if free for a month first to try it out.
We have never experienced a time when we could not get on the Aplos website. I am in an accountant's office, and I love the fact that I can go online anytime to check on my client's progress with their transactions at no cost to us! This is the sign of a non-greedy company who is here to meet a need.

Cons

The reports available are good and basic, but maybe a few more reports would be helpful, like a cash flow report. Also, since this is a cloud-based program (only available for use over the internet), this may be a downside for some. Simply save all your monthly reports and transactions easily by downloading them into an Excel spreadsheet, and you have all your information on your computer hard drive.

Priscilla B.

Reviewed on 11/01/2017

Best customer support ever!

I have been very happy with Aplos Accounting and have used for over 4 years now. My favorite thing about Aplos is the customer support. The Aplos team is easy to reach by phone and have always been willing to help answer questions, give suggestions and solve problems no matter how much time it takes. It's nice to talk to a real person and not to have to email the question and wait for a reply back. Thank you Aplos team for your help over the last 4 years!!!

Pros

Easy to use and Tech support.

Cons

It's hard to think of something but a couple times I have wanted certain items on a report that I couldn't get.

Vickey R.

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Aplos is Great for Churches and NonProfits

Even with the bank integration issues with some of my clients and the lack of apps that connect, I still highly recommend this awesome accounting and donation tracking software!

Pros

I love the simplicity of using Apolos. It is a great choice for non-accountants! I love the "tags" for tracking fundraisers, programs, projects, etc.

Cons

Not very applications integrate with it such as Hubdoc and Bill.com that I use with my bookkeeping clients. I also have some issues with the bank integration.

Kathryn V.

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

My favorite online software EVER

Pros

Aplos is super user-friendly. The training videos are clear, concise and so helpful. It only takes minutes to set up your system and customize it. And the ability to customize is limitless!!!

Cons

No cons. I've been using Aplos for years and haven't found anything I don't like!

Sam M.

Reviewed on 03/03/2021

Best Fund Accounting Software for Small Non-Profit Organization

Pros

Easy set up. Easy to use. Easy to train new bookkeepers. Processes online donations without a hitch. Our clients like our Aplos reporting. Easy transfer of data previously used on QuickBooks.

Cons

Need to be able to integrate with more apps.

Melissa W.

Reviewed on 10/01/2017

Mostly love Aplos

I have had a good experience with Aplos. There are a few things that seem a bit clunky, inefficient and I've asked about changing those. Other than that, it's been great!

Pros

Cons

A few inefficient things (can't hide funds so you don't see them on all of the reports)

Carmen S.

Reviewed on 10/01/2017

Aplos Review

Aplos has been great about adding features that are helpful for book-keeping for a church with multiple funds. I appreciate that when feedback is given, Aplos listens and accommodates the needs that we have! Everyone at Aplos is super-friendly and very helpful!

Pros

That it is "multiple-fund friendly". I appreciate the ease of use for recording contributions and expenses.

Cons

Reporting but probably because I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Contacts- I wish there was a way to record spouses together as a single contact.

Thomas G.

Reviewed on 12/05/2012

Aplos Software Simplifies My work

I recommend this product to any small church group or any non-profit organization that depends very much on untrained volunteers to help with the office. Try it out, you'll see the ease of use and the benefits of having multi-users having access from several computers makes it very nice to use.

Pros

I have found Aplos Accounting Software to be simple to use and a great help to us in our organization. I am responsible to pay the bills while the secretary in the office is the one who inputs our deposits and book sales revenue. I can look at the accounting books from anywhere in the world and can make decisions concerning making payments or purchases from anywhere while the office can print out the checks and input the sales. It is as easy to use as my checkbook check register at home and produces reports and database inquiries very easily. Thanks Aplos! I just deleted Quickbooks from my computer, never to go back anymore. Please keep the add-ons coming.

Cons

I am not finding much to complain about yet. It is working very well for our organization.

Debra H.

Reviewed on 16/11/2017

CFO of Nonprofit for decades.

I love the ability to due true fund balance accounting. For years I used Peachtree with job costs and spreadsheets to accomplish. This is a huge upgrade. I think the work around in the deposits is worth it for the fund balances.

Pros

It is easy to use "out of the box." If you been working with Quickbooks or Quicken this will be an easy transition. Also, you can add multiple tags to a single transaction, and then you can sort on these different tags. This provides and amazing matrix of data.

Cons

I big big draw back for me is the inability to batch deposits. It makes it more difficult to do reconciliations. They do this because the want you to use their CRM component. Of course there is a work around, but I would rather not "work around" such a critical area.

Richard F.

Reviewed on 01/02/2019

Pricey Product with Shallow Slate of Features

I hoped this would be a good solution for our needs, but it is a very expensive non-solution to even basic church management and accounting needs.

Pros

It is online, and mostly attractively put together. The support is integrated into the interface. It is available through most any computer with a web browser.

Cons

It is not a robust accounting system. For example, there is no way to track a group of Memorial Funds within one overall Memorial Fund. They offered suggestions for work arounds to this, but the general response for this and most other questions I had was, "Unfortunately, we don't do that." They claimed on their marketing materials that you could track attendance at various worship services, but you manifestly cannot do that. The response when I called to find out how was some complicated group setup with needing every person to join the group through a conformation email (even though about half my church doesn't have or actively use email). Eventually the support person admitted that while their marketing did seem to indicate you could track attendance easily that, "Unfortunately we don't do that." There is some possible checkin system being developed, but that still would leave basic church membership functions non-existent. They are more expensive than other systems available that actually do these functions.

Stephanie H.

Reviewed on 13/03/2018

Aplos is a user friendly software

Overall great software for new organizations very user friendly and they offer free web tools to assist with obtain8ng funding and other helpful tools

Pros

I enjoyed the fact that it was user friendly . I enjoyed the affordable monthly fees based of organization size. I also enjoyed the chat availability

Cons

What I liked least was when they changed the bank integration portion it wasn’t as user friendly . I also didn’t like the fees that changed with the new donor management portion it was almost equivalent to the monthly fee

Herk R.

Reviewed on 04/10/2016

Aplos Fund Accounting for Churches

We have been using this product for 3 years and have found it to be perfect in our church application. It is easy to learn and we have had excellent support.

Pros

I like the fact that it is an on-line accounting product and I can access it from home, on the road, or wherever I am. The reports are excellent for our use. I have had very good customer support and the pricing is very acceptable.

Cons

Have made suggestions for product features, but they have apparently not been a priority or they haven't felt the features were needed

Gurpreet S.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 09/06/2020

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] (Customer Serice) - Thank You!

Fantastic! Big shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who helped us with billing. His customer centric approach really reflected a genuine care and concern for us as a customer and ensures we will continue using Aplos. Thanks [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. Great stuff man.

Pros

Features, usability. I am still learning but the software helps provide great clarity for the management of account of our church.

Cons

Not too sure. Still learning how to use the software and maximise on its features. Will keep you informed if i have some ideas. Happy to share.

Response from Aplos

Thank you, Gurpreet, for the review! We are happy to hear that you like our product and customer service.

Replied 18/06/2020
William W.

Reviewed on 16/01/2018

Aplos makes accounting easy and efficient!

Pros

It's obvious the creators of Aplos designed this platform with church accounting in mind. I really like how flexible and customizable it is!

Cons

I do wish the reporting and descriptive graphics were a little more dynamic. This would help when presenting budgets to staff, boards or investors.

Artie P.

Reviewed on 26/08/2014

Overview of my experience with Aplos

Pros

Aplos really makes our bookkeeping simple to use and efficient in its process. We've been using it for 5+ years now, and we've not had any issues with it. As they have built in new options as the years have progressed, we've taken advantage of some of them, and that's added to its value.

Cons

We would love for them to create a supplement that will create/complete a 990 tax form. I hear that's in the works, so we're looking forward to that.

John H.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 17/07/2019

Expensive for a non-profit

Installed it; evaluated it, ran a number of months for accounting with the help of their sales team, but in the end it was too expensive and we went with QB in the Cloud.

Pros

Lots of features, more than we would use. Helpful sales team; looks like it could do all that we needed as a non-profit (and more)

Cons

Expensive for a non-profit. Most of the options for accounting for non-profits are expensive... so why don't someone really create a product/service that we 501(c)3's can afford. If I were a multi-million dollar operation it might not matter, but I'm a 250K/year type non-profit so price it accordingly. The product would have been good, though not as must help out there in the world as there is for QuickBooks, but it was priced too high for us

Drew C.

Reviewed on 06/12/2016

Great price for great accounting software, especially if you don't have a church accountant

Aplos is perfect for the small to a medium-sized church that handles their finances via committee. The controls are intuitive, the reports are straightforward. They've really done a good job in this area. Its deficiencies are with people integration.

Pros

It's ease of use. For the church staff with no accountant that has to handle finances via committee, Aplos is near perfect. Reports are easy, data entry is easy, reconciling is easy.

Cons

In order to track who gives what, you will need to duplicate your entire database of people into it first, then maintain the duplication. This ultimately led us in another direction. If there was a way to tie in an already-existing database (we use Elvanto), then we would have been sold.

Anthony B.
  • Industry: Human Resources
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

Apples church software for a virtual congregation

The church faced many challenges during Covid, including a restriction on the number of members who were allowed to attend in person. Aplos platform allowed for easy implementation and management of electronic donations and gift giving in lieu of in-person contributions. It also has allowed for more efficient book keeping in general.

Pros

Aplos has allowed our HR client, a large regional church group, to continue their mission during covid with operational and financial efficiency.

Cons

The one drawback with Aplos is the initial setup. This requires a serious time and manpower commitment to ensure that everything is setup and functionally correctly. Once we went live, things ran very smoothly.

Julius K.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 21/07/2019

The best way to receive donations.

Pros

It's perfect for international fundraising, easy to use and very user-friendly, affordable, good customer support and quite reliable.

Cons

No cons. Nothing really as far as my experience has been.

Arch G.

Reviewed on 05/10/2016

Great software program for those will little experience

I was new as a Treasurer and had never done it before, but after doing a lot of research I concluded that Aplos was the best value for the price. Their one-month trial period is also a great way to test out the system and see if it works for your accounting needs, and it did for ours, a smaller non-profit with about a $50,000 annual budget. The budgeting feature is great, and the support you receive from individuals is awesome. I was on the phone with their staff for an hour one day and they walked me through setting up my account. Great service and great product, particularly the reports they allow you to publish!

Artie P.

Reviewed on 11/05/2012

Love Aplos

Strongly recommend you looking into this product. It's tailor made for CBO's that need a simple yet functional software to take care of its internal office needs.

Pros

It's easy to understand, blends well with our nonprofit needs, Is easy to teach others on and great support.

Cons

As it is a fairly new company, it will continue to roll out more and more features as they can. Work in progress I suppose.

Henry W.

Reviewed on 04/10/2016

Very good

Needs an option for quarterly budgets, not just yearly.

Pros

Bank integration

Cons

Budgeting and expense analysis

Steve K.

Reviewed on 01/02/2017

Simple and good

I have been using Aplos for 3 years. It is a simple and effective tool. It tracks all our contributions and expenses. It also gives me the ability to file taxes straight from the software with no extra work. I also like it because they store my records for me web based. You can also reconcile it with your bank records.