About ZipBooks

ZipBooks is a cloud-based accounting and payment processing solution designed for small businesses and accountants. ZipBooks allows users to create customized invoices with logos, themes and messages. The online bookkeeping...

Browse ZipBooks Reviews

• Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

User-friendly software underpinned by prompt, professional support

Our overall experience has been positive. Thus far, we have not encountered any problems.

Pros

1.The software is easier to use than it even appears.
This makes it simpler for non-finance people who may find themselves required to attend to such matters e.g. Start-ups, local SME's and EME's etc.

2. The support team are atypically, prompt and efficient. In our experience with online support from other service providers, there is more often than not a delay in responding, be it short or long. In some instances, the support staff have not had the expertise to offer guidance or solve elementary problems. The ZipBooks team is impressively swift and knowledgeable.

Cons

Initially, it appeared that functions such as customer month end statements and a few others could not be generated.

After one or two chats with online support and the discovery of the numerous, yet concise, online documents, I realised that such functions are, indeed, included.

Not only that, but also that the majority of questions are very likely covered and one can solve one's own queries if one looks for the relevant document.

Perhaps it would be useful to users if this was highlighted or flagged and doing so may reduce the enquiries that your online support team have to attend to.

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks so much--happy to help!

Replied 06/09/2019

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Great way to keep your accountancy

Pros

Really good tool to help you with the accounting books of startup, you can create online invoices, track time, bills, etc

Cons

It is a very complete software and easy to use, I have no complaints about this software, really it works very good

Andrea M.

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Simple bookkeeping for businesses

I've been using this for about the last year and started when it was free to use. For what it was then and for as simple as it is, it serves my needs at the moment but it's a little difficult to use with my workflow so I feel like I'll probably outgrow it at some point. I do primarily project based work, tracking time and billing hourly. I don't sell anything through an inventory but will add expenses to an invoice. This software works great for that though it would probably work for something with a light inventory or commonly used services as well. Overall, it's a good value and worth testing out but it may not work as well for every business model.

Pros

Add expenses, track time, create projects, create tasks within projects, print out accounting reports, send invoices and receive payments in app, recurring invoicing available, ability to set up reminders automatically

Cons

Visually clean but not as streamlined to use. Projects can't be created on the fly in the time tracking app, but have to be created ahead of time. Still quick to do but it's an extra step. Same for tasks within projects. They must be created ahead of time too, though each project automatically creates a General task. Invoice design is simple and clean but there's not much that can be customized beyond the logo.

Roy L.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

It's FREE!!!

Being looking for this type of cloud system for sometimes, i'm so excited when i found this product and it was free to use. It automate a lot of things and i dont have to worry about loosing date anymore =)

Pros

I'm using the free version, it's good enough for me to track my profit or loss.
The invoice section is very good as well, just enter the blanks and it's all auto.
The best part is the support, because i am getting full support although i am using the free version.

Cons

Should consider to give us more access in the Income Statement report. The Income statement report is more than enough for my operation, sometime just wish i can click on the amount and it will show me the details. But this feature only available in paid version.
I am still waiting for the Android version to be release, then i can easily snap and store my suppliers invoices and receipts.

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks so much Roy!

Replied 09/08/2019
Nawahl R.

Reviewed on 21/01/2016

Simple, Neat and easy to use! Perfect for a small business

It took me all of 5 minutes to figure everything out. At first I was a bit disappointed that the date format could not be set to South African standard, but when I noticed that the date very clearly appeared, printed in full on the finished documents that can get sent/printed out, I think its completely ok. I love that I could easily use my own logo. I love how everything automatically gets tracked. I love that its free! Its been really useful in my small and growing business, to keep track of all my income and expenses without me having to know much about accounting and without having to hire an accountant, on top of keeping all the receipts, written invoices and other transaction docs. It just simplifies life. I guess a complete accounting system is probably necessary when a business gets bigger, but for a small growing business and a newbie entrepreneur, who just needs a simple income statement, Zipbooks is the perfect tool to get one in the game, staying organized, tracking expenditure and income and having automated outputs that allow one to assess where to improve and streamline the business. The messaging system is pretty nice too. The response to queries from the Zipbooks team is quick and clear and quite personalized, which I'm very impressed by. Zipbooks is perfect.

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

Indispensable tool for managing the books of a small to medium business

At tax time, my job is significantly easier!

Pros

ZipBooks makes tax time easy - in the past I struggled to gather all the information needed to file taxes for our small business - after using ZipBooks for the last year, taxes are a breeze and I no longer dread the day(s) spent preparing my tax returns.

Cons

I wish there was a little more on the free tier - they do a lot to make you buy a subscription, which is an understandable business model, but sometimes I wish things like syncing a bank account more than once a day (especially if you have to change your password on the banking website) were included in the free tier.

Reviewed on 25/07/2018

Intuitive time tracking product that makes billing tracking a basic process

Pros

Nice UI, very easy to use and teach new team members how to track their time per projects. Makes a simple process (project time tracking) a simple task for team members to achieve per week.

Cons

The mobile applications can use some work. The iOS application is pretty buggy, but accessed through the web, it is pretty flawless.

Annie S.

Reviewed on 03/01/2018

Awesomesauce!

Pros

Clean, simple user interface. Customer support via Chat is extremely responsive - even on holidays - imagine that. Everything I need; invoicing, time tracking, sending custom receipts for checks and cash, simple P&L reports. Love it! I am recommending this service to all of my clients that have a need.

Cons

Maybe it's just me, being a numbers derelict and all, but some of the features (the things you need to do) are not that easy to find. However on the bright side, if you ask a question, you will usually get a fast straight answer.

Bryan D.

Reviewed on 30/08/2017

Simple, intuitive, customer support responds super quick.

Organizes our billing and record keeping and helps us accept payments faster and on a recurring basis.

Pros

Cheap, clean and easy to use. Customer support is wicked fast. I am blown away about how intuitive the software is. Easy to import lists and accept payments. Looks super professional.

Cons

Would like more short video tutorials and fees always seem high, just need to keep building our revenue through this site and that would seem less.

David E.

Reviewed on 20/12/2019

This program locked me out of my account and there is no way to gain access to my account

Pros

Doesn't matter what I liked because the bugs in this system outweigh the good now I am loosing money

Cons

The bugs it is really buggy and things happen that cannot be explained

Matthew W.

Excellent Alternative to QuickBooks

After using QB for my business for the last 8 years, I finally had enough of Intuit.

I wanted a modern web based solution that didn't cost an arm and a leg for basic quoting, invoicing, and accept payments online. ZipBooks does this and more.

I had list of my existing clients and I found out via the in app chat (a way awesome support feature) that while there was not a feature ready for realase for an import of my contacts they would do it for me.

This is a small token, but shows how customer service focused this company is, unlike others who would have go check the forums, they are right there to chat with.

Fernando R.

Reviewed on 20/01/2016

Intuitive, Slick, Clean and in a word--SIMPLE.

ZipBooks is a fantastic cloud accounting service that offers extremely thorough documentation and unfettered API access allowing a business owner to focus on the business, not balances. The main thing that drew me to ZipBooks first was fast and free and allowed for Subscription Billing/Invoicing.
The awesome API, clean interface and absolute user-friendliness is what has kept me around. Above all, ZipBooks dedication to absolutely phenomenal customer service it truly commendable and something to be emulated.

Brian D.

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

This wasn't anything special - just an ordinary accounting software.

Pros

What I liked best is that the customer service was excellent and always very responsive. That goes a long way when you try to do a conversion.

Cons

It's relatively ordinary which is why we didn't go with it but that doesn't make it a bad software. It's best for small business.

Jackson C.

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

Solid product for independent consultants

I use ZipBooks for my consulting. Here is my verdict:

Pros:
Easy and intuitive use
Helps me track the time I've spent on each client
Simple expensing
Super easy autobilling
Makes me look good to clients

Cons:
Doesn't whiten my teeth.

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks for putting together this list. We will look into teeth whitening feature. Not sure what our development team will think, though. :)

Replied 20/11/2015
Vlas B.

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

Best Invoicing Software Out There

I am a freelance chrome extension developer. Most of my projects are not very big, and I always find myself having dozens of customers that owe me money. But it is a huge pain in the gluteus maximus to track all of them manually, send them emails or call them on Skype. Thant is why I use ZippBooks - beause it solves my problem.

Response from ZipBooks

Glad we could help, Vlas!

Replied 20/11/2015
Andreas G.

Simple, easy and free!

So easy to use, great straight-forward features. User interface is clean and friendly. I use it for my small business and happy to also be able to receive credit card payments. Would love to see the ability to create your own template or possibly select from a selection of templates. Looking forward to updates.

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

Accounting software with good API layer

I can say that their API is good and understandably well readable, easy to integrate.

Pros

I was in team that made integration for ZipBooks api, for another small company. Easy to set up, secure and trustworthy.

Cons

Can't say anything about the usage of the product since i was on the team that only made the integration to ZipBooks with api integration.

Christopher K.

Reviewed on 04/01/2016

Amazing software and customer support

i had several questions about the features of the software to see whether the software would match the requirements of my business. The customer support received from Zipbooks was outstanding and the software is amazing!

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks for the encouraging note. We are going to work hard to live up to the high praise.

Replied 20/01/2016
Tyler S.

Reviewed on 21/01/2016

So far it's the best and most simple solution I've found to track income and expenses.

There are a few edge cases that I have ran into that would make the product better, but I've been told by their excellent customer service that they are working to improve it. Still, so far I don't have any complaints. It's free and really saves me a lot of time off the financial side of freelancing.

Matt D.

Reviewed on 08/12/2015

Zippity Zip!

ZipBooks is the innovative bookkeeping tool of the future--with a solid business model that makes it free! Brilliant to provide the most basic needs and be able to grow with a business and provide additional features and bolt-on functionality. Works great!

Evgeny G.

Reviewed on 20/01/2016

Nice and easy

Nice and easy, good integration with Stripe!

But need also PayPal

April S.
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 18/07/2016

Business Owner

I had a dispute with a company that uses Zipbooks for payment. The company ceased ALL contact with me. I called Zipbooks to see how to start a dispute against the company. One of the customer representative was able to help and he went over and beyond to alleviate my stress.

Pros

Easy way to make payments

Cons

Third party companies can make them look bad when they have horrible customer service.

Diego L.

Reviewed on 14/08/2017

I love ZipBooks! Easy to use, beautiful invoices, and a solid time tracker

Saved time, beautiful invoices, reliable and integrated time tracker

Pros

I love the fact that I can set up and send an invoice in a few minutes, pulling in existing products and services (complete with description). The addition of a time tracker was unexpected and very appreciated! I use it to keep track of the hours spent on certain projects with those clients that prefer hourly payment over per-project pricing. ZipBooks also allows for past hours tracked that are unpaid to be automagically pulled into a new or an existing invoice, making it super simple to make sure everything is included in an invoice before sendoff. The invoices are simple, clean, beautiful and there is an "include PDF" option when sending out the invoice to clients (for those that prefer to print out and save their invoices). The customer support is phenomenal -- the support staff is friendly and helpful.

Cons

It's still a relatively new software, and I was one of the early adopters, so there were a few minor bugs and quirks in the past. The good thing is, most of the bugs are squashed, and the roadmap for the future of the app looks very bright!

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks for the great review, Diego. Glad you stuck it out with us!

Replied 14/08/2017
John M.

Reviewed on 22/08/2017

Great app for small business and freelancers accounting and bookkeeping

Pros

I have been using Zipbooks since last year and I have enjoyed the ease of use. They clean interface is very appealing. Have basic project management with tasks. My most used feature is invoicing which takes away my need to send invoices via email. Expense tracking is also on point.

So far I'm using Zipbooks as my default bookkeeping software. They were kind enough to extend a forever plan being an early adopter.

Support team is very responsive.

Cons

Project management is very basic.

I had to do a lot of manual work merging repeating transactions when I connected PayPal account and bank account since PayPal was pulling money from the bank. It would be nice to have a system that detects duplicate transactions.

Changing a transaction that is attached to a paid invoice turned the invoice to draft even if the invoice was marked as paid.

Response from ZipBooks

John,

Glad you are loving ZipBooks. Also, thanks for the feedback on things we can improve!

Replied 22/08/2017
Joan J.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 06/01/2020

Small Business Review

Pros

Easy to use and very user friendly. Customer support is always fast and has a solution to most any problem I through their way.

Cons

I wish there was a way to export a formatted excel spreadsheet of reports or be able to print to a PDF (single-page) easier.