About FreeAgent

FreeAgent is a cloud-based accounting solution for freelancers, accountants and small businesses owners to manage invoices, expenses, payroll, tax returns and other accounting tasks. FreeAgent also offers dedicated mobile apps...

Browse FreeAgent Reviews

Reviewed on 11/03/2019

Painful to use, Clunky and not great

Using the software was very awkward and restrictive. I lost confidence in it very early on.
My experience has been years of utter frustration.
Regular promises of fixes and upgrades never materialised over the last 3 years and despite sticking with it, and getting the software for free, I ended up having to opt for better software.
Customer services are quick to respond but they tend to misinterpret your issue. Their idea of helping is sending you a link to a long drawn out document that frustrates you even more than the original issue. Most of the issues can't be resolved by sympathetic customer support reps because they are hard-coded into the software as basic incapabilities.

Pros

It's a Scottish company, albeit taken over by an anti-Scottish UK bank.
Customer services are relatively quick to respond but don't often understand or resolve your issue.
They do send you a Monday motivator which is useful.
It's now free if you bank with RBS/Nat West, but I'd rather not bank with either and even at £0 it's not worth it. I'd rather pay for a decent software and save the cost of hours of inefficiency and extra accountancy fees later.

Cons

It is very clunky and awkward to use.

It is very expensive for what it is and definitely not even worth using for free.

Several essential basic functions are missing and it is very restrictive/prescriptive forcing you to work their way or not at all.

Customer services regularly have to fudge "workarounds" to fill the gaps in FreeAgent's basic functionality and often these "workarounds" make more mess than doing nothing, leaving you with more to pay your accountant to fix it.

FreeAgent does several things in very unusual ways and then doesn't allow you to fix them.
Payroll does post journals into your ledgers but even the best accountants can't make any sense of them.

This software tries to be all things to small businesses giving tools that quite frankly are dangerous to unqualified accountants. It allows you to do your own VAT, Corporation Tax and Self Assessment wrongly, without any tax planning advice which could cost you tens of thousands of pounds in VAT/tax that isn't due, not to mention HMRC penalties etc. I know of several clients who have overpaid an absolute fortune and had seriously damaging run-ins with HMRC as a direct result of trying to DIY using this software.

Buyer BEWARE!!!

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

We¿re really sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and frustrations. If there's anything we can do to help improve your experience, or any additional feedback you'd like to share with us, please contact us at @[email protected]

Warm regards,

Replied 18/03/2019
Stephen H.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Good product, good UI, good customer support, a bit pricey but worth it for my business.

Pros

FreeAgent is a fully-featured accounting and invoicing web app that comes with a great little mobile app too.

It has a really clear and easy-to-use interface, making it easy to navigate and produce invoices, check your accounts for selected periods, track your time, manage projects... the list goes on. But for all the functionality, it never feels cluttered.

I've experienced great support whenever I've asked for it and it hasn't ever produced any unexpected errors or bugs. It just works.

Cons

I wanted to recommend this product to my wife for her business but it's just a little bit too expensive for a startup small sole trader company like hers. A reduced cost account type for single users would be great.

Steph B.
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 15/02/2021

Early review

Better than Quickbooks in terms of reconciling bank account, and bringing the feed in reliably, but this assumption against large numbers of individual customers is a deal breaker.

Pros

Reconciles some invoice payments that only need approval, an improvement on Quickbooks.

Cons

Very clunky for adding customers for invoicing. If you have lots of "retail" customers as I do, and send invoices to large numbers of customers, setting them up is a pain, the system seems to assume that you have a small number of commercial customers with multiple contacts at those companies. When making a new invoice you have to go through an alphabetical list of companies, you can't search, and for ease I made that entry an email address. This now means that of course not all people have an email address that is clearly them/their name. Irritating and enough to make me look elsewhere.

David S.

Reviewed on 21/02/2018

Essential accounting software for any growing business

Pros

We've been using Freeagent for over 5 years. In that time frame my company has grown from being a sole-trader to an incorporated limited company with employees. To say that Freeagent has helped facilitate that growth would be an understatement.

We now use Freeagent for our VAT submission (saving us £200pq accountants fees), Payroll (saving us £10pm per employee), Sending out client estimates/invoices, and what we originally bought it for... Book keeping and accounting.

We have Freeagent connected to our bank feeds, meaning we are only ever 24hrs out of date with our live bank accounts. This is now a common practice with similar software, but for us it came just at the right time.

Their team of inhouse accountancy experts is also an incredible resource that we use around once a quarter, or whenever something new crops up that we might need some help with. We still use the skill of an account for filing our end of year accounts, but we could even do this with free agent.

Cons

The one thing that has been a niggle like a tiny pebble in your shoe, or scratch on the roof of your mouth, is that you cannot send a remittance! Many people have requested this functionality but it has largely been ignored by the freeagent team. I have no idea whether it is a technical or philosophical reason they've just not engaged with it... If they did implement this functionality it would pretty much make it perfect for my companies needs.

John M.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Great accounting software

Very clean app gives good insights from the overview page.

Pros

It's just so easy to use. We run our plumbing business with this app and it integrates well with Commusoft our field service management software reducing time spent double entering information and doing tasks like invoicing. Now we invoice and complete the job in Commusoft and it pushes al the relevant information to Freeagent.

Cons

It only does CIS one way. As we have grown from a subcontractor into a contractor that now employs subcontractors we need a simple way to process CIS invoices from our SC's

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear how you and your business use FreeAgent. Thanks for the feedback about CIS too, we've passed it along to our product team.

Replied 23/11/2018
Chris F.
  • Industry: Design

Magnificent Customer Support, Good Accounting System

Pros

FreeAgent is more advanced than my previous service provider, Freshbooks. It allows me to handle the split between personal/business bank accounts and their expenses better and even submits my tax return to HMRC for me. The few times I've contacted their support, they have responded quickly, actually understood what I've asked and provided a detailed response, specific to my issue.

Cons

As a sole trader working on various contracts for 7.5 hours per day, I need to be able to track my time and bill my clients based on it. This is the only area where I found Freshbooks to have the edge—it provided a daily timeline where I could click on my start time, enter the duration, client and project and track my time visually. This meant that I could tell at a glance where there were gaps in my day and correct them accordingly.

FreeAgent allows me to add Timeslip entries, however it can get confusing quite quickly as there is no start time and no visual timeline. I have to rely on the running total of hours shown per day and try to work out the amount of hours to submit per task. So the interface isn't as intuitive as I would like, but the wealth of other extra features I have access to with FreeAgent does go some way to making up for it.

FreeAgent does also work out at around double the monthly subscription price of Freshbooks, which isn't ideal in my circumstances, but I do feel I am getting a better all-round product for the money.

• Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

The only accounting software I would use

I use Freeagent to run my entire business- to invoice and to monitor missing payments, to file both my tax and vat returns, its an incredible tool for my business

Pros

Great customer support- all from trained accountants in the UK that are able to walk you through any problems you might encounter when doing you tax and vat returns

Cons

None- inpeciable and consistent service at all times.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

Thank you for the kind words and your positive review, we really appreciate it!

Replied 23/11/2018
Owen B.

Reviewed on 01/01/2019

Generally good but some areas that badly need an update

Generally a solid piece of software but lacks some feature sets common in alternatives such as Zoho

Pros

Super responsive customer support
Most day to day business transactions covered well
Generally clean design

Cons

The expense handling suite is quite poor (both mobile and web)
e.g. Does not have the following
- Sortable columns in the expense listing table (e.g. list by highest value descending, or name)
- Ability to filter by type or project
- Drag and drop receipts into web interface (you have to upload through file navigation)
- Quick take photo for expense button (mobile)
- Ability to email expense emails or pics of receipts to an inbox

Timesheet feature set also rather basic

Reviewed on 22/06/2018

Fantastically simple accounting software for small businesses

Pros

Incredibly easy to learn how to use even if you've never managed a business before. Perfect for freelancers as well as small-businesses. Nice design both for the website as well as the PDFs created.

Cons

Large businesses and more experienced accountants are likely to find the functionality a bit limiting.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

We just wanted to say thank you for the kind words about FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

All the best,

Replied 12/07/2018
Steve B.

No longer fully trust Freeagent

Pros

It's useful to be able to see the state of my business finances at a glance and it's great to be able to send professional invoices - but it's a lot of money for an invoice template.

Cons

I no longer fully trust Freeagent, especially around banking, after I spotted that not all transactions are not being imported. When I raised it with customer services they basically just agreed that no, not all transactions are being imported, but couldn't give me a reason why or suggest how they would fix this, just said that I should check all transactions manually. What's the point of having an import feature if you then have to repeat everything manually? Meant I had to spend hours checking transactions and VAT returns to pick up transactions that Freeagent had missed. I certainly would no longer trust it with my tax return, so I have to employ an accountant as well. Also, when recognising transactions, Freeagent seems unable to recognise transfers between accounts, meaning they all have to be approved manually, despite the fact they happen time after time.

Emma T.

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Brilliant- wouldnt use anything else to run my business

Pros

Incredibly customer support from trained accountants who are always able to give me advise as and when i need it.

Cons

Only thing I would change is being able to re-enrol for VAT instead of having to open a new account as it took some time to transfer my data over into a new account.

• Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

Very easy and great help function

Pros

I love how it links to my bank account and easily allows me to enter bills and mark them paid. Some trickier transaction types were not obvious but the help screen is comprehensive.

Cons

I haven't found an account reconciliation feature. I am used to that with QuickBooks and would like to have it here. It's possible there is a reconciliation feature and I haven't spotted it yet.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. It's great to see that you're enjoying using our product!

Regarding account reconciliation - have a read through this article and hopefully it will help you get set up with everything you need. https://support.freeagent.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115001222444-Bank-Reconciliation

If you have any difficulty please email [email protected] and someone will be happy to help!

Replied 24/05/2018
Liam R.

Andi R.
  • Industry: Media Production

Roy G.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Brilliant for freelancers

Perhaps might be too simple if you have a particularly complicated business setup (although I am just guessing here because I only need and have only experienced the setup for a simple freelancer arrangement like mine)

Pros

Simple to setup for a freelancer like myself
Very easy to use
Absolutely great that it submits tax returns for you

Does the job

Pros

Relatively simple to use. Provides overview of everything nicely. Imports bank feed which is the most useful part of FreeAgent.

Cons

When the bank feed goes wrong, it really goes wrong. They were reluctant to help, so had to figure it out myself. Personally, I think it's just a bit too expensive considering what the competition are offering.

Richard L.

Reviewed on 23/01/2017

Zack A.

Reviewed on 21/06/2018

Quite possibly saved my business

Pros

Where to start. I LOVE Freeagent! It's so easy to use, it gives great reports, it automatically pulls in bank statements! Brilliant!

Cons

The only thing I would like to see is a little more clarity regarding the different categories of spending and VAT eligibility.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Zack,

Thank you so much for the positive words, it's great to hear that FreeAgent has been such a big help for you and your business. We appreciate your feedback about the categories and VAT eligibility too, we've passed them along to our Product Team to review!

All the best,

Replied 12/07/2018
Timothy C.

Reviewed on 19/02/2018

James R.

Maria G.

Reviewed on 21/09/2014

airplane mechanic

I just saw my email about my allowance

Tom C.

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Flavio A.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Great accounting software for freelancers and small teams

Having researched a number of different options while freelancing, FreeAgent was hands down the best one for a solo practitioner, with enough features to solve all my accounting needs.

Pros

Perfect for freelancers and small teams, FreeAgent includes all the aspects needed to control accounts, create / send invoices and keep an eye on projects. Highly recommended for any solo practitioners.

Cons

If you plan to grow and scale your team, it can be a bit limiting, however it is still a great tool for smaller teams and individuals.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Flavio,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

Replied 30/09/2019
Sarah H.

Love it

Pros

Exceptionally easy to use and easy to learn. I keep the tab open every day. It's easy to "undo" if you make a mistake in an invoice. There's basically nothing that can't be undone by reverting to draft. The recurring invoices tool is really helpful. I don't use the feature where it'll email invoices/reminders. I prefer to do that myself and it's really easy — nothing to really keep track of since I invoice all clients on the same day each month. They make it easy to label bank transactions so as long as I remember to do that once a month or so, all my accounting reports are always current. I don't have to spend too much time on accounting and I don't really have any complaints. The customer service is always fantastic.

Cons

I wish the time tracking feature were just a little slicker. I use Toggl for time tracking, and then I import hours for each client each month. Not a big deal, but one of those little things that would put it over the top.

Greg J.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Reviewed on 25/09/2018

Great for Freelancers

Pros

FreeAgents offers a lot of features for a very low price and the customer service is good also. I have used them for 3 years and there are other programs that may be a little better, but they are also a lot more expensive.

Cons

I wish that recurring billing was a little easier and the number of integrations is good, but it does not integrate with one of my core programs which is a bummer.