About Squarespace

Squarespace helps users create websites and offers an e-commerce solution for small and midsize businesses for building online stores. Squarespace e-commerce solutions allow users to sell products and services, as well as manage...

Browse Squarespace Reviews

2,145 of 2,145 reviews
Juliet H.

Reviewed on 05/08/2021

Great eCommerce tool

Pros

Setting up eCommerce was very easy: multiple payment processor integrations, simple to add new products, option to deliver digital products, and ability to create subscription services. As a business that has a wide range of offerings, it's nice to have so many product types available and easy to set up.

Cons

Designing the website is not the most intuitive for a non-designer. I hired a designer to create my website instead.

Wix and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

It was the preferred medium for my web designer.
Matthew B.

Reviewed on 14/09/2021

Build it and forget it

My experience has been excellent. I have used it for my own personal wedding website and it was quick and easy and managing the interaction was a real joy. During the pandemic - organizing the RSVP via the internet was the only choice and worked out wonderfully.

Pros

I can quickly build a website without worrying about having to upgrade it later, or what it will look like across different form factors. The templates given handle all the responsive layouts so you can just focus on getting the content in.

Cons

The cost to do anything technical is a little too much. If you want to add custom scripts or code it is challenging. I do not recommend it if doing something outside of a blog or a boutique storefront.

Zola Suite

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

The designs for the website are really clean and work across every form factor device and every OS. I can rely on the designs holding up so I can focus on high quality content.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 12/09/2021

Way easier than wordpress for those new to website design

Great for a fast and efficient business page, storage and design is a bonus - easy to give different forms of admin access to different team members as well

Pros

Squarespace is the easiest website builder I've come across in years, easy to explain to people who aren't that great with design and technology and easy to teach to those that need to manage ongoing content for our website. Also, the templates are amazing!

Cons

As an avid WordPress user for my personal portfolio, I do wish Squarespace had more customisation options and plugins etc

WordPress and Weebly

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Weebly didn't give that corporate edge we were looking for design-wise, and WordPress is great but takes a while to train newbies with little to no experience with website building etc.

Top Squarespace Alternatives

Philip S.

Reviewed on 01/05/2021

Great Website Builder and Templates for Businesses and Artists

Overall, the Squarespace website builder has served my business well. I’m able to have professional-looking websites that deliver the message I want to get across, all in great-looking design. Coupled with the integrated online scheduler where my clients can book their appointments and the integrated marketing tools, it serves my business needs daily.

Pros

I have 3 Squarespace websites for my photography and multimedia businesses and 1 Squarespace website for my personal work/artist portfolio. I’ve been a Squarespace user for a long time, and since then things have only improved with the choice of templates and the design possibilities. A significant advantage is that you don’t need to be tied to a template design and customize the design and add custom CSS if you want more complex customization. There are many third-party plugins available for Squarespace if you don’t have the knowledge to do it yourself, and that can make the already great starter templates even better. For businesses, Squarespace has built-in SEO and other marketing tools like newsletters, a built-in scheduling calendar for clients to book appointments if you’re a service-oriented business, and of course, there’s also the possibility for e-commerce with great web store designs and templates.

Cons

Squarespace is still heavily focused on English-speaking and North-American customers/businesses when it comes to selling products. For example, for companies that are not based in the US, there’s still no built-in possibility to accept local payment gateways if you want to sell products or services. Many customers in EU regions prefer to pay online using their local bank payment gateways rather than credit cards. Compared to some other website builders. The ability to sell products or services using your local payment gateway is still missing in Squarespace as something that's built and that you can activate with the click of a button.

Mark N.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

Allowing my nonprofit's website to stay adaptive and relevant amidst an ever-changing web.

Squarespace won me over after years of thinking I could do a better job "designing it" on my own with free templates for WordPress. Time and time again I would spend days or weeks on the site, be happy with it, and then months later it would all be out of date, look old, and not function in the ways that information transfer had shifted by internet users. I decided that a professional, clean and easy to use Squarespace site, with robust back-end capabilities is what I needed, and I have not been disappointed.

Pros

Squarespace really has their act together in offering a clean, easy to use , beautiful web building platform. I run a media and video production nonprofit, and the needs and functionality of my site have evolved almost yearly since 2013. The way that people engage with content on the internet is always changing, and I got caught up in the flow of trying to always evolve the website to keep up. I used GoDaddy and WordPress for too many years, and eventually migrated them all to Squarespace because it was all just so much more streamlined, modern, clean and simple. I now have the basic website I need, and know that there are many many ways to customize it if needed without messing up the whole site (as happened many times on WordPress)

I changed my entire .com and .org from a WordPress template on GoDaddy, and could not be happier with the customer service I received from Squarespace, they were so helpful in getting everything aligned for the transition.

Cons

I wish there were maybe 15-20 more templates, and that a few of them were specifically meant for video galleries, as that is what my organization focuses on in our storytelling, videos. I would love a template tailor made for aggregating videos. For now I can use a photo gallery or blog and adapt it, which works fine, but my wish list would be a video focused and designed template.

WordPress, Wix and GoDaddy Website Builder

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Squarespace had a comparable price, much more attractive templates, and a reputation for customer service that met expectations! I also just trusted and knew from looking at other sites, that Squarespace keeps up with what a modern website "should" have and look like to engage users. I'm not a designer or UI person, and trust Squarespace. It's worth paying them to do the design so I can just plug in content!

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

It met all of my needs, was around the same price, and I love that hosting, domain and templates can all just be wrapped into one account. Squarespace just had the better lookcng websites templates as well, and customer service did not disappoint!
Osman P.

Reviewed on 23/03/2021

Absolutely fine!

I've used this software before and it really helped me with my website in the past. It has some good features and not difficult to use. You pretty much get what you pay for. Also, know that if you are aiming for really professional websites I wouldn't suggest you use Squarespace. But if you just want to set up a decent site in a short amount of time, I would definitely suggest you this software.

Pros

First of all, it is extremely easy to set up websites in no time. It has some cool and modern-looking templates that you might want to consider. It is user-friendly and not much knowledge of coding is required which makes it a good choice for many companies and people. Even though I didn't struggle much with anything whilst using this software, support was always there to help.

Cons

The way that the client can't change a lot, implies that expert clients are restricted and don't have much freedom. Other than the lack of freedom when choosing templates and editing fonts or just the way the website looks, I don't see any other downsides to this software.

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 20/02/2021

When minimalism was a luxury

I trully believe SS is being hold hostage by its once glorious minimalist phyloshophy and streamlined way of doing things. Their templates all look the same now.

Pros

Squarespace helped us develop good looking and fuctional website in no time, with outstanding streamlined interface and ease of use with minimalism in mind. + Premium fonts.

Cons

In my personal opinion, I think SS is lost with its minimalist phyloshopy and streamlined way of doing things. It was good a couple of years back when it was the only kid in town but websites have developed so much that the need for robust features and fuctionality is more a necessity than a commodity now. They just released their extension feature but it consist of no more than a few addons.

Shopify

OpenCart and Magento Commerce
Whitney D.

Reviewed on 16/12/2020

Easy to Use, High Quality In-House Website Design

We researched and previewed a number of website development platforms before selecting Squarespace, and we've been very happy with our choice. It is very user-friendly and easy to learn how to customize and brand our pages. It is a great, cost-effective option that we recommend to other schools looking for a tool to manage their website in-house.

Pros

Squarespace is a very user-friendly and cost-effective product that allows us to create, maintain and adapt our school website in-house. Clean, professional templates are easily customizable and provide us the functionality we need to maintain an active web presence. The phone app also provides a good amount of flexibility to make quick edits and adjustments to our site on the go.

The ability to create forms that can be directly linked into Google Drives has been one notable positive for us. It gives us the option to quickly customize and create forms that can then be shared and track responses for us.

The website analytics function is very helpful in providing us with real-time insights and date on web traffic and usage.

Cons

There are some natural limitations to the ability to customize pages that will come with any basic website development platform. For example, in order to upload video, it must already be hosted on another platform (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.).

Bridget C.

Reviewed on 01/12/2020

You get what you pay for

After trying multiple free website building options, I finally relented and tried out the demo version on Squarespace to see what the learning curve would be like, and if it would be worthwhile ot go the paid route for a website. The answer was a resounding yes, and I've subsequently built 3 more sites with them since our first one.

I tell every new business owner starting out, check out squarespace, save yourself the headace of the free platforms that limit creativity, and watch your business grow by the day.

Pros

Ease of use
Easing learning curve
layout options
customizations options
sleek templates
quick onboarding

Cons

Towards the beginning of my experience with Squarespace, I needed some customer sesrvice and the process to find where I could go for help was not easy. This was back in 2017 however, so I'm not sure if that process has improved since then (I'd like to think so!)

Mimi M.

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Allows anyone to be a professional, easily

Overall, I am pleased with Squarespace. I think it is the most professional website builder out there. However, its price point and its inconsistencies hinder it from getting a 10/10 on my end.

Pros

I like how easy to customize and use Squarespace is and always has been. Especially with their latest version release, site building has become more customizable than ever. Their templates also serve as awesome inspiration. Customer service is also quick, friendly, and efficient.

Cons

There are some inconsistencies across templates and versions. Things like adding a caption to galleries or password protecting a portfolio page - which you'd think would be options, based on previous templates or other modules/page types, are not available across the board. This is frustrating when you're building a site with a specific vision in mind, but you can't achieve those results. CX associates have also told me that there are 'bugs' that are being sent to tech teams, however they can't provide updates on ETA's for fixes. It has been a month since I was told that, still no fix. It's not a good look to have such a tech-forward company fail on promises or updates to users on bugs, or elements that are prohibiting from utilizing the platform in the ways expected. Squarespace is also quite pricey compared to its competitors.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Wanted something more professional.

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

A beautiful website, tailored to you

I have a beautiful, functional website to direct clients to. It has a blog, a shop where they can purchase items and much more. The site allows me to capture visitor information, make sales and create first interactions with me and my services. It allows me to have a "home base" from which I launch all of my projects and ideas. I have had Squarespace for several years now and never plan to change--it's really that good! I have experimented with other providers but never found anything so well crafted and easy to use.

Pros

Squarespace allows you to select a plan that fits your needs. You can choose plans with unlimited pages, commerce options and much more. I love that it's made to be user friendly and there is no coding required (you can code as an advanced option but it's really not at all needed since they offer you everything). You can add all kinds of features to webpages, like forms, surveys, images and much more just by adding elements they call "blocks". This makes it very easy to customize the website to look, feel and operate just like you would like. If you previously couldn't realize your website dreams due to a lack of technical know-how, you can use Squarespace to design like a pro.

Cons

Sometimes it can be slightly unintuitive as to where to find something, so it takes me a few extra minutes to find out where I can tweak a specific setting.

Customer support is excellent and fast to respond but only by email or chat, not by phone.

You do have to upgrade to a higher plan for some features, like abandoned cart recovery at checkout, for example; however, for the value they offer, I think all the upgrades are worth the cost.

WordPress and Wix

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Wordpress is effective but I found it much harder to design things when I have tried it out. Wix doesn't look as professional as Squarespace and has many fewer functionalities.

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Best option for Small Businesses that aren't IT savvy

If you are a small business or a startup trying to get a professional web presence, or an existing company with a horrible website, don't believe the limitations of a decade ago and "pro" web developers and companies that create websites for you for a large sum of money with continuing maintenance costs. Website development sites like Squarespace allow for any moderately computer literate individual to create amazing looking professional websites and professional emails with little hassle. You don't need an IT department or a website developer, and honestly, your site will look better than many I've had created by corporate webdevs. The trick is that sites like Squarespace use templates that you choose and customize with your own content. The con is, while there are tons of options in templates, what you see is what you get and you can really only customize content and minor aesthetics like font, pages, color schemes, pictures, etc. However, the templates are gorgeous and modern designed sites that will make your website look cutting edge.
I've used several competitors, and while Wix is probably my next favorite due to customization, Squarespace is leagues better than any other site developer I've used, including Weebly, Wordpress, GoDaddy, Wix, etc. It is just so simple and the templates, while probably the least customization, are the prettiest ones available that add a professional touch you can't replicate in something like Wix. No IT, no problem.

Pros

Ease of use is unparalleled.
Templates are aesthetically unmatched by competitors- it's not even close.
The ability to switch between templates whenever you want is amazing.
Very professional feel to website with seamless G Suite integration.
Cost is very competitive.
Mobile optimized websites are lightyears beyond GoDaddy and Wix.

Cons

The templates are amazing, and there are a lot of choices, but if you don't like the options, you are stuck with what they have. Customizing is very limited within the Template framework, unlike Wix.
In order to be glitch-free and mobile optimized, the templates have very little customization.

Konisha H.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 07/01/2021

Squarespace Review

Overall I love Squarespace. My site runs smoothly I have not had any complaints from customers of card sales not going through of the site not working properly. I do use this app on a daily bases updating inventory, changing images and checking analytics for my social post to see the increase of traffic.

Pros

What I like most about Squarespace software is that it is very user friendly. It has up to date functions and accessibility for you to use other apps in combination with this app. I also like that there is a scheduling feature to take appointments. As a Cosmetologist this was very important to me as a buyer.

Cons

A feature that I like the least would be the shipping page on the features within the website. I feel that it could be more simplified or more automated to link with shipping rates based on the weight and measurements of the product. I figured it out eventually but honestly that part of setting up my site was a headache.

Gabe M.

Reviewed on 20/02/2018

An high quality web solution for non-technical people who need create and manage a website

This product helped me launch my web storefront quickly and easily. It was truly a pleasure using this solution for my personal business.

Pros

- Beautiful templates. Initially they offered relatively few templates compared to other website providers, however, all of their templates were very polished. Since their early days, they have plenty of templates to get you go quickly for almost any look you are going for.
- The page editor is very easy to start using and experiment and becoming productive.
- Product management: Product management is great in how you can manage dimensions, price, inventory, etc. When you make sales, it decreases the inventory accordingly (quite a nice little feature). The dimensions you input for your products works hand-in-hand with shipping options you offer with your storefront. HUGE benefit here for making sure the products you offer and are puchased will fit in the right boxes your customers purchased. I cannot emphasize how awesome this is.
-Sales reports and analysis tools: This is so nice to track your monthly/annual sales and correlate them to your promotional and marketing efforts.

Cons

- Pricing: More expensive than competitors, but you are paying for refinement and amenities. For non-technical people, refinement and features may be worth it. For Technical folks who can develop their own website, pricing may deter them from using SquareSpace.
- Template customization confusion: From a non-technical perspective, it may be very confusing why one template reacts differently to similar changes to layout/content creation. This could cause some frustration for those users.

Bryan C.

Reviewed on 07/10/2020

Every Website We Build Starts with Squarespace

Years ago, when I started my marketing agency, I would pander to my clients. This one wanted WordPress - another wanted Joomla. The technology was too much to handle, and the site quality decreased as a result. After years of working with WordPress, we decided to only build on Squarespace. It's been a great choice that has helped us grow our portfolio immensely.

Pros

Squarespace has made it super simple to create a new website. Every single website we build now is on the Squarespace platform - and that's for a reason! The software is user-friendly, the buildouts are quick and painless, and the customers are always happy with the finished product.

Cons

Styling and formatting could be easier on the Squarespace builder. I hate posting up images on pages and blog posts. There's no easy way to resize the images and ensure they look good.

I also hate the blog formatting. I want my blog to be aesthetically pleasing - instead, it looks like a robot just spit it out.

Caley N.

Reviewed on 10/06/2019

Best Business Decision I've Made

Pros

My husband is a web designer. I have the ability to have a custom website made for me, but I also hated to ask him to fix things, and I hated going through all the code myself to update the site. I switched to Squarespace over five years ago, and it was the best decision I could have made for my business (and a great one for my marriage, too 😂). If you don't need a huge, elaborate website, but still want something clean, beautiful, and easy to maintain, I can't recommend Squarespace enough.

Cons

Every now and then, I run into limitations in a template that I wish I could change. Why certain blog styles aren't available in every template baffles me sometimes. I'll find a template I love but hate that it can't have a sidebar somewhere or that there's a blog overview rather than going straight to the blog itself.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

It was the easiest to use and best product.
Jeremy V.

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

Great for Start-Ups!

I started a side-business with a partner and this was the best website service for our needs. The cost was great for what we needed and provided us with a customer-friendly website.

Pros

The ability to customize and make an attractive website is very easy for those who have basic knowledge of websites. There is also quite a bit of information online available to help you to customize and get the basic website you are looking for. You do not need to know html to really customize your site.

Cons

If you do not know anything about websites then this software will not necessarily help you, you need someone who is willing to take the time to learn the ins and outs of the software.

WordPress and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

The website appeared more attractive with an easier ability to navigate through menus.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Other websites that we had seen that were created using Square Space appeared the most professional.
Carlee M.

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

Stop Website Shame!

Wonderful!

Pros

It's easy to use, beautifully designed and has all the features that sets you up to create a beautiful and professional website. I get compliments on my website almost daily - thanks Squarespace!

Cons

I'd like to integrate other payment processing services with my site.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Wordpress had too many design restrictions.

Jared L.

Reviewed on 04/07/2018

Out of all the website hosts I have found Squarespace to have the best templates and interface.

A clean professional looking website with easy to modify templates. I've also never had my site go offline or become 'slow-loading' when trying to view. Server issues are virtually non-existent and that's important with a business website.

Pros

The templates are number 1 for what I like most about Squarespace. They are professionally designed in a way that is highly customizable and very clean looking. You can have a great looking website quickly and with customization you can make it look original.

I started using Squarespace over 4 years ago and still haven't come across a better website builder and host. The interface for adding content is a more accurate WYSIWYG(what you see if what you get) management system. Anybody can signup with Squarespace and adjust a template of their choice quickly and aesthetically with the admin interface. There is also advanced options for adding in your own code when needed. I've tried many hosts in the pasts and usually website builders are riddled with issues in spacing, formatting and errors - squarespace just doesn't have this...and for that reason it's a pleasure to use.

Cons

Price. Unfortunately Squarespace has gone up in price over the years for monthly and annual plans. If the cost is within your budget then it's highly recommended.

Laura N.
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Reviewed on 22/04/2019

Incredibly easy website management

I help manage several Squarespace websites, and have found it very intuitive and quick to set up and edit pages. It's easy to manage your plan and I haven't found their campaigning to be annoying at all while a plan is active or after it's been disabled. Overall, I've been really happy with the experience of using Squarespace and have recommended it anytime someone is looking to set up a new site.

Pros

There's a reason that these guys are probably the most well-known website solution product out there. The user interface is super slick, and so easy to use.

The price is right for what you can do once you get your feet under you. I've worked with a handful of different websites in Squarespace now, and it makes it easier to recommend it each time I set up or collaborate on a site.

The knowledge base content is pretty comprehensive and I've never had an issue finding an answer to a question.

There's a (fairly new, I think) mobile app that is handy to have access to while on the go.

Pages that are deleted can be recovered, making it easier to trust handing the keys over to someone to get familiar with it.

There's options to sell products directly from your site, which means one less thing to set up elsewhere.

Cons

The templates are pretty limiting. You can try them out, but honestly, with the options that are there, there really seems to be just 3 or 4 general layouts with minor differences template-to-template.

There are some annoying little things like not being able to move a gallery of images from one page to another unless it's been saved as a gallery, but they're all minor things that can be avoided as you become more familiar with the platform.

Andrew H.

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

Easy-build websites

Quick and easy to build interface; efficient and helpful customer service; sensible pricing and good discount for certain user types.

Pros

The ease of use to create extremely professional interface websites, they look and feel great and can be pulled together in a matter of hours.

Cons

There's a few things that require upgrade to packages, commerce and selling options are understandable, but the option to add custom code should be on all paid packages.

WordPress and Wix

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Squarespace made putting together a better looking website easier that WordPress.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

This was the easiest to use for me and quickest to get to grips with.

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

A Fantastic Product With an Achilles' Heel

Squarespace is a great product to create a beautiful website. However, that beautiful website is beyond slow on many devices, and could significantly hurt businesses (especially e-commerce stores) in the long run. If they resolved the page speed issues, I would recommend it to almost anyone, but given that the end websites are so massive, I would highly recommend people think twice before committing to Squarespace.

Pros

Squarespace makes beautiful sites easy and simple to build/deploy. Once set up, people from almost any background can easily add content, significantly reducing the barrier of entry to web design. It also reduces IT cost over a self-hosted solution.

Cons

I wish it had native internationalization for the end site, and that you could develop custom post types. However, the biggest problem Squarespace faces is the inefficiency of the end sites. They consistently score red in Lighthouse performance and involve insane amounts of Javascript. It is bad even compared to other website builders and is unacceptable in 2021. Their documentation blames end users for making inefficient sites, yet they have shown little interest in reducing page size. If you care about performance (which you should), proceed with extreme caution before choosing Squarespace.

WordPress, Weebly and Wix
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 20/07/2019

The website that professionals use

Really good, the customer service is excellent. Once you get around building your site, I love it.

Pros

I was recommended this website by someone in my industry. It was time to upgrade and work with company that had a better SEO so I could be found and get more people to my site. I love it because it professional, its recognized and it is highly trusted. The integration to mobile is perfection. It looks amazing!

Cons

I came from another website that had a easier set up, but I couldn't be found. The set up for my site was a bit challenging, but once I looked at the videos on set up it was much easier. The cost was a lot more as well, but worth it to have a professional site.

Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

I changed because the SEO and the site was much better and it integrates with google services, looks great on mobile.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

The SEO was better to find me on Google and that drives my business
Amy F.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Reviewed on 10/09/2021

Expensive!

Love love love this company if they would lower their prices I would gladly consider them again if I ever needed another site for anyting

Pros

I love nearly everything about Squarespace it practically has everything a business person or a blogger could need SEO file uploading Analytics and much more!

Cons

It became very expensive to run my Squarespace site for everything that I needed on it. Also when I was using it a couple of years ago now they didn't have any options for running fundraisers through the website which is something I needed this is why I switched to another company.

Brandon M.

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

Still Prefer SquareSpace over WordPress

They are my go-to builder for new clients that want the ability to make edits and changes on their own in the future without causing confusion. Less headache than WP and WIX which are other builders I am familiar with.

Pros

Updates on it's own, unlike WordPress which updates could break 3rd party applications or templates, and happens all the time.

Great for first time users to figure out what they are doing fairly simply. Has great tutorials, help, chat, twitter support, and customer service is much better than WordPress' non existent support.

Cons

They change their pricing constantly without any advanced notice ever. In the past 6 years I've built client sites on this platform, they just keep upping the price for everyone.

They offer ZERO affiliate solutions, just a discounted first year off for multiple builds and circle members.

They have a JavaScript rendering that makes all sites slower than they should be and have not addressed this not playing to well with Page Load Speed or Google Analytics. They don't particularily care either.

Their customer support can get behind quite often, resulting in a solution that comes long after you needed it.