Venmo Reviews

About Venmo

Venmo is a digital payment and wallet gateway that allows customers to transfer money and make payments via their mobile device. Businesses are able to generate exposure for the brand as users share their purchases on the Venmo...

4.8

Browse Venmo Reviews

9,128 of 9,128 reviews
Eric R.
Eric R.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 07/06/2021

Venmo is a great consumer product with limited use for business

Venmo's incredible ease of use makes it essential for interacting with other people with whom I might loan or pay money for simple things. For vendors, it's a solid way to get access to credit card payments with okay fees.

Pros

Venmo is dead simple to use, with the QR code scan and effortless options to ask for payments or send them. The number of people who signed up for Venmo also helps - most younger folks are on it.

Cons

The social aspect of the software is a bit odd in that I'm not in the least bit interested in what my friends are paying one another for. When people get funny, I suppose it could be entertaining but too much of the feed is people paying each other for rent, groceries and other mundane stuff. Additionally, this present a business challenge where you need to be cautious about posting your purchases if it's a private purchase for your business.

Reasons for Choosing Venmo

Venmo is easier and in use by more people than PayPal.

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

More people have Venmo and it's not tied to Zelle's limited bank list.
gerald
gerald

Reviewed on 22/11/2023

Solid Hands Home Creations

My experience has been overall wonderful I love behalf of there’s a lot of money flowing back-and-forth through it, so that’s a good sign

Pros

Everything I really love the habits welcoming I love the colors I like the programming. The software is really easy user-friendly I really enjoy the app.

Cons

It does have some glitchy spots. Some spots that are just a little bit overly complicated overall great absolutely wonderful.

john
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 11/04/2024

Not a reliable system

Pros

I have not really enjoyed using Venmo. When it worked in the beginning, it was fine, but went downhill very fast.

Cons

I have had multiple issues with using Venmo to send payments from not accepting cards or bank accounts to payments not going through. For a company whose main service is to send money, I was not impressed.

Top Venmo Alternatives

Henry
  • Industry: E-Learning
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 04/02/2024

Venmo, it's a great app!

Overall, Venmo is a great app, especially for an app that is free. I have had little to no issues while using Venmo for the many years that I have and I only have great words to say about it!

Pros

I like that Venmo makes it super easy to collect payments from customers, and refund them at the same time. I've never used a platform that also makes it easier to track payments.

Cons

The user design is not super intuitive, which can cause issues at times, but otherwise I have had no issues!

Square Point of Sale and Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

The price point of Venmo could not have been beaten, it is just so much cheaper and without fees.

Reviewed on 21/11/2023

The easiest point of sale app on the market

Overall highly positive. Would recommend to anyone in need of a safe and convenient cash transfer and Point of Sale app.

Pros

Implementation was incredibly easy and most of my staff (and clients) are already familiar with the application. The credibility of any financial app is critical, so the security and financial insurance Venmo provides is what made the deal for my team.

Cons

There is no easy-to-use air-touch feature where two adjacent phones can automatically link for payment. However, this would just be a nice ancillary benefit and is not critical.

Reviewed on 23/11/2023

Venmo

I love Venmo it’s a great app to exchange money!

Pros

I love the fact that it’s easy to send and recieve money

Cons

That if you attach it to Zelle your funds will pending for 15 min

Mike
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 30/01/2024

Trusted and recognized payment option

A very good and trusted platform to offer to customers that do not wish to use credit cards.

Pros

Customers already recognize this payment option and some prefer this over using their credit card.

Cons

There is a chance that the customer will choose the wrong recipient and that causes a lot of stress for them.

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

Recognized by customers and many already use it.
Jamie
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 09/01/2024

Venmo review

Pros

I like the ease of use on phone and QR code.

Cons

desktop application is not as good as mobile app. I would really like some sort of verification of receipt.

Tammy
  • Industry: Fine Art
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Venmo - easy use

Pros

The ease of use is the biggest reason to use Venmo.

Cons

We truly have not found a drawback to using Venmo. It is there when we need it and is easy to use.

April
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 30/01/2024

Great option for payment processing!

Overall great and would recommend to anyone with a small business.

Pros

I appreciate that the fees that Venmo has to process payments are lower than other competitors. It's accessible and easy to use as a client and provider!

Cons

While setting up I had some challenges with creating a business account separate than my personal Venmo account. But the customer service was excellent and helped me, although I wish it had been a little faster.

Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

Lower processing fees made it more affordable for me.
Nadia

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

A great way to divide costs, reimburse individuals and get paid!

Venmo has allowed me to quickly and easily pay and receive funds. It's a useful tool to have among other payment options, and I find it useful to just let some money accrue in Venmo from payments so I can easily pay others, without having to transfer from my bank account. Venmo has saved me time, fees from transferring and complexity in issuing some payments.

Pros

It's an easy way to directly send money to someone. With a few clicks you can send money to a contact or likewise, easily receive money. You can indicate what the payment is for, and the money accumulates in your Venmo account. You can easily transfer it to your bank account, as well. It's a great way to pay on the go, in a simple way, without having to enter or know your payee's bank account information, address or anything else!

Cons

You can only pay someone who has a Venmo account, so this is a small restriction that might not make it the default option for everyone. It's also quite informal, so it might not be the best way to receive or send money to clients or professional contacts.

LAURA
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 13/01/2021

Perfect for person-to-person, not the best for businesses

I use venmo for personal use outside of the business very regularly. I choose not to use it for my business for the reasons I listed in my cons.

Pros

This is probably the easiest and most user friendly money transferring app that I have used.
Venmo charges the user a very small percentage to do an instant transfer and there are no fees to do a transfer that takes 1-3 business days.
If you are out for drinks and decide to put the bill on one person's card, you can easily send them money to cover your portion and they'll have it before the check even comes.
If you need your money transferred to your bank immediately, you can have it within less than 3 minutes.
Another pro is that nearly everyone has it on their phones these days and that keeps things simple.

Cons

It does keep track of your payments, received and sent; however, I feel that the use of venmo in a business is highly unprofessional and it can be a negative to the recipient. If a business owner or worker receives money for goods or services, they are charged a fee. While this fee percentage is very small, if you charge more than $100.00 for whatever your business provides, you're charged a fee and that adds up.
For example, I sent money for $1,400.00 and received a very nasty email from the recipient saying that they were charged $14.00 just to pull the money.
This is only with instant transfer, as I said, but it is something to be remembered for business owners.

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

Ease of use and the fact that everyone I know has it.
Andy
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 29/03/2021

Amazing Payment Solution for Many Applications

Venmo has always been a great experience and very intuitive...even for people who aren't technologically inclined. Everyone we have used it with or introduced it to has continued to use it afterwards with great results. We plan on using it for even more as it allows in the future. It's much easier and quicker than PayPal which seems to have been the standard until now.

Pros

Venmo is an incredibly easy and fast way to transfer money between people in a company for expenses and more as well as accept payments for merchandise (with the new business account options) and even pay people for their services. Since multiple people can be logged on, it allows 4 of us to operate financially when necessary without a delay. You can easily write what each payment is for and download monthly statements to keep accurate records of all of your transactions. Even better, most people have it and use it now so compatibility is rarely an issue. It makes everything we do faster and our customers even more pleased as they can pay for merchandise, tickets, or even simply donate at the click of a button!

Cons

The only tough thing about Venmo that rarely arises is if someone doesn't use it. In that case, we need to have a paypal or cash option ready but that's not an actual problem with the application itself. It would be great if they could add annual statements to their download option in addition to the monthly statements. Annual statements would save some time during tax season!

Brian
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 22/12/2021

Why your business needs Venmo!

I love using Venmo and prefer it to any other payment method - its just so darn easy to use! I love it and you will too!

Pros

With Venmo your business never has to sacrifice an order for payment issues!
Venmo remains a top competitor in the payment processing market because of its versatility, ease of use, reliability, support and recognition - if you don’t have Venmo these days people start wondering what rock you’ve been hiding under!
Venmo’s user analytics and usability are top of the line and will make the payment of every sale the easiest part of the process!

Cons

I have nothing bad to report, the app is practically flawless for the purpose it serves! If there’s anything to perhaps improve upon initially it would be the inclusion of crypto currency as crypto will continue to rise in popularity around the world.

PayPal and Meta for Business

Reasons for Choosing Venmo

I use both but prefer Venmo for the fee structure, ease of use, and social acceptance - PayPal is great but it’s also potentially more dated and less popular with the younger generations.

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

Venmo is again just the easiest to use and most popular amongst the younger generations. It’s trusted, reliable, and so easy anyone can do it!
Crystal
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 08/08/2022

Easiest way to send money!

Overall I have had a great experience with Venmo. This was one of the only apps who accepted and linked to my prepaid bank card. Most softwares would require you to have a bank account to send and receive money. Venmo is super easy and accessible. They have saved me so many times where I had an emergency and needed to have my mom send me $ ASAP. I still use this app weekly to this day!

Pros

I use this app to pay my rent and to send money to friends and family. There is a really cool feature that allows me to decide if I need my money right now for a small fee or in 3-5 business days for no fee. I have never came across an issue to where the instant transfer did not go through. I can't tell you how important it is to get your money ASAP when you have an emergency and Venmo always came through for me! It's so easy to manage I was able to teach my mom over the phone how to manage the software.

Cons

Recently the fee's for this app have gone up. I don't like that they are basing it off how much you are sending/receiving. It should be the same fee overall. Increasing the fee just makes me want to use the free money transfer apps such as Zelle. Also instead of rewarding users for sending money and using the app, they have a limit. For example if I send $ more than 5 times a week they start adding an additional fee.

Reviewed on 03/12/2021

Venmo

Pros

I like Venmo because it is real time payments for businesses and most customers already use it for personal reasons. It is a PayPal product so it is trusted.

Cons

You cannot add money from a bank account directly like you can cash app. If they did I would use them regularly as personal and business.

Cash App

Payment processor fees

Stripe Billing

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

Because Venmo is backed by PayPal and PayPal is a trusted processor.
CLARK
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 19/10/2019

Easy Money Transfer

Venmo has been a great tool for my family to easily send money to each other, especially in a day and age where hardly anyone carries cash.

Pros

Venmo makes it extremely easy to send someone money instantly. I use it to pay my niece to cut my hair. My sister-in-law uses it to pay me for mowing their lawn. I can easily send or collect money from my siblings who live all across the country. I have also used it to collect donations from coworkers to buy flowers for a funeral. Depositing the money in your bank account is fast and easy too.

Cons

Once you send the money, you can't get it back or dispute the transaction. Venmo says it is for friends and family only and should not be used with strangers. You can request money, but people don't have to pay back. Many people use Venmo on virtual yard sales, but it is a risk to take because Venmo won't investigate fraud. One of my biggest complaints about Venmo is that a bank account can only be linked to one user. So my wife can only access our joint bank account. If someone sends me money, I have to send it to my wife first before we can deposit the money.

Tao

Reviewed on 30/12/2021

Is venmo possibly the best payment software?, my experience.

All in all here is my take, Venmo is speedy and natural. They make it simple to move cash among companions and organizations. I have thought that it is not difficult at all to move cash to my own financial balance in a sensible measure of time assuming I need it quick on a little help charge that doesn't influence the head of my money accessibility. I truly like that they request affirmation when shipping off new people contrasted with other applications that don't check and consume most of the day to recuperate information.

Pros

To begin the listing of pros I'd say I enjoyed about this software includes, the ease of use, very convenient and not to mention I find that I am able to easily keep track of my transactions.

Cons

Honestly the only downside to Venmo was that, I can't send money across platforms, per say to PayPal and such. However Venmo's transfer feature allows one to transfer your money on Venmo to an active bank account or card, which can later be sent to platforms if this is your intention.

Gina
  • Industry: Executive Office

Reviewed on 22/01/2022

Venmo is For the new aged business person.

Overall my experience like I said has been good with venmo I like it that it's versatile it's mobile everything is pretty much self-explanatory you know now there's Bitcoin you can buy I like it that I can use it for my business I can use it for personal I can use it anyway that I need to to fit the particular situation that I'm dealing with that's a great option I don't like that to cash a check you have to use the one particular service it would be nice if they offered several services so that you could choose which one you wanted to go through what rate you paid and then again like I said if you don't get accepted through one because they have issues or glitches or technical issues there is a backup that you can go through cuz some clients pay with checks and then that means we have to have a separate bank account to cash checks and I like the point of keeping everything together so that I can keep all my business stuff in one place

Pros

The features that I like most about them always is mostly that it's a very mobile and very versatile service that I can offer not only to my clients but that I use myself I not only use this in my business but I use it personally as well and it just makes it so much easier for me to be able to do all my banking or payments in one spot I can cash a check I can get a direct deposit I can take payments I can send money all of this while I'm still moving around and doing everything that I can for my business it's a great program a great payment option and a great way to be able to look at what you're doing financially while you're on the go.

Cons

I guess the feature that I least liked is that they use Ingo for their check cashing services and I have had issues as well as other people that I know with Ingo because they will shut you out of their system and not really give you a reason and getting through to customer service and getting it sorted is almost impossible and very time-consuming and in my field that's something I do not have time for is to sit down and talk for hours and try and figure out something that I have no idea was a problem and it usually turns out that it's a technical error or it's a glitch or it takes a long time to fix and by the time they do that you found an alternative to doing what you needed to do anyway so that's my only con with venmo is that they use that one check cashing service so if you want to cash a check and you can't use Ingo then you can't use that feature of venmo and that's that's a downplay

Thandile
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 13/04/2021

A better alternative to Paypal!

I use Venmo all an opportunity to pay loved ones. It's particularly valuable for parting bills. I additionally use Venmo for merchandise and ventures like with my stylist and back rub specialist! It's so quick and simple to send cash by means of the application. You don't have to get your wallet. out.

Pros

This is presumably the least demanding and most easy to use cash moving application that I have utilized.

Venmo charges the client a tiny rate to do a moment move and there are no expenses to do an exchange that takes 1-3 business days.

On the off chance that you are out for beverages and choose to put the bill on one individual's card, you can undoubtedly send them cash to cover your part and they'll have it before the check even comes.

On the off chance that you need your cash moved to your bank promptly, you can include it inside under 3 minutes.

Another ace is that almost everybody has it on their telephones nowadays and that keeps things basic.

Cons

There truly aren't numerous cons with Venmo. I would say one worry that clients might need to investigate is that on the off chance that they utilize a Mastercard rather than bank data as their essential wellspring of cash, the application will charge additional expenses. This is a minor grumbling, however I've known a couple of clients who had been unconscious of this and were paying an expense for every exchange.

Sandra

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

Quick and convenient payment

My take is Venmo is safe,but with everything online there will always be risks,I realize that the world is evolving and most transactions are done online.Venmo offers more pros than cons and as long as you know how to use your settings and know how to keep yourself and information safe online,this is a great place to do all your online shopping or share bill payments with friends and family.In my opinion banking online is the way of the future.

Pros

Venmo is accepted at many merchants around the world,It is so easy to link your bank and its a lot safer for purchasing online products,especially if you are unsure of the company or unfamiliar with the company.very quick and convenient payments.It's great if you are making extra money online because it give you a way of receiving a payment for on-linejobs.There is no monthly fee and you are not charged for using it so, you can add money from your bank account without the extra fee.It is safe and you never have to worry about security because they have measures in place to protect your privacy.If your planning to get into bitcoin,its a great way to start,its accepted there as well.Anyone can use it,its easy to download and deploy,great for any age.

Cons

As with anything there is always a down side.Venmo does charge a fee to send money through credit cards, a rate of 3% as well as a charge to transfer money from Venmo to your bank account.Customer service can be a bit of a problem if you have a discrepancy,you have to get pass the Bot system to speak to a human.I have found that you have to adjust your privacy setting to make sure your information is not compromised.another con to using Venmo is unlike a bank you do not earn interest.There is no international transaction,so you have to be aware of what you can and cannot do to make sure you do not have to deal with support and there is no payment protections.

Susan
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 10/07/2023

Thieves

Pros

Convenient…. They make it easy to receive funds but careful…. You may never see your money!!

Cons

I disputed a couple transactions from the same company that I never authorized. Well, Venmo shut my account down and froze it. I have given them my drivers license, passport, picture of the house number on my house, food stamp card, medical marijuana government ID card, Social Security card, food stamp card, bank card plus a selfie and they won’t release my funds! I think any idiot can figure out I’m exactly who I say I am!! They DONT CARE. After all, it’s not their money. They have had my money locked down for over a MONTH!! They refused to release it because I can’t provide bank statements on a gift card that I was trying to transfer funds to. Account Specialists are everything but! They tell you that the only department that can release the funds is through an account specialist and you sure can’t talk to them they only go by email. When you reply to the email and you send what you can to them, if it’s not exactly what they want, they send you the same email asking for the same stuff over and over again. No way will they give you the courtesy of speaking with you!! They don’t read what you’re saying and Nobody will call you. Management won’t do anything for you. They won’t get off their butts and get anything done. By not helping me and releasing my funds I have lost electricity and now have so many late fees it’s cost me $100.’s of dollars. I will continue to write a review on ANY platform I can. I’m waiting on a response from the attorney general and a lawyer.

Ronnie
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 18/09/2021

A Welcome Addition to our Payment Processinf

Our payment processing philosophy has shifted in the last several to transition from accepting cards using an on-site card reader, cash, or checks, to nearly a dozen different options. Because of the prevalence of mobile payment options that exist, we have attempted to accept payments in as many forms as possible, with Venmo being a major addition in this philosophy shift. Making a payment is now much more effortless for our clients, who can use an app they are already familiar with to quickly transfer money in a manner of seconds. Because it takes so few steps to complete transaction, we are seeing significant decreases in the amount of time between bills being sent out and money being received. For donations, Venmo has been a tremendous asset to us. Spur of the moment gifts at offsite events have greatly increased because donors can quickly send donations without having to provide any financial information to us. The ease of use and the security Venmo affords our clients means we not only get paid quicker, but we also receive more funds overall.

Pros

Venmo's popularity with the population we serve due to its top-notch peer-to-peer payment functions has led to an increase in payments received, providing us both with more revenue as well as more timely payments. We have transitioned from accepting the majority of our payments via check to receiving nearly 80% of our payments through onsite card transactions and virtual payments. Being able to accept payments via Venmo makes the billing process convenient for clients who might delay paying due to the multitude of steps involved in writing and mailing a check. Most importantly, the transaction process is so quick and seamless for the client that a 30 second phone call can easily result in a bill being paid that might otherwise take weeks to collect.

Cons

Venmo provides an instant deposit feature that costs 1.5% to transfer money into our general funds, while a 2-3 day transfer is free. This gives us a financial incentive to avoid the instant transfer, but it also results in funds being inaccessible for several days.

Cathy
Cathy
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 04/06/2022

By DEFAULT, all transactions are set to PUBLIC view!

It's impossible not to like Venmo. Everyone and their in-laws are using Venmo. No need to do anything, when everything has been done for you, right? It's Venmo all the way people!

Pros

This is a social (relational) payment App, which makes it impossible for you NOT to find the person that owes you money and vice versa. With just very few information required upon signing up, you can begin to send or receive money to anyone, so long as they, too, have the Venmo App. The discreetness of Venmo is that no one can see where your money is coming from and going to. I'm referring to your bank accounts of course. Also, if the need ever arises that you would need to find someone, no worries, you would know who and who and who they were connected to.

Cons

The world of Venmo (everyone that is using Venmo) will be able to see what's happening down in your world of cash flow. Sugar Daddys? Cougar Mommas? Who you owe? Who owes you? By DEFAULT, all transactions are set to PUBLIC view. So unless, you want the world to know where your money flows, give special attention to your privacy status when you're in Venmo world.

Ankush

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Venmo Review

I think it's fun and feels safe to use Venmo for your everyday transactions. Also, I love the ios version as you can integrate it with Siri and ask Siri to do transaction for you which is a great feature I think. I'm excited to use the feature of group transactions which they are going to launch soon I think.

Pros

Its effortless to do transactions on Venmo and it's the best option I can think of considering the fact there are so many alternatives. The free version almost offers most of the features you need for everyday transactions. It's well integrated with other apps like Splitwise which is a great feature as you can clear Splitwise balances using Venmo and I use that every day almost. Transactions using Venmo are really instant and safe.

Cons

I wish they had less fees if you do transactions using your Credit card. Also default settings shares your transactions public which I think default should be disabled. I'm looking forward to use globally like with any bank account and any mobile number not just US which I don't think is supported at the moment.