About Xero

Xero is an accounting system designed for small and growing businesses. Xero connects small businesses with their trusted advisors and provides business owners with instant visibility of their financial position. As a web-based...

Browse Xero Reviews

2,000 of 1,985 reviews
Lainey T.

Reviewed on 27/08/2021

Xero - Can't Beat it For Business Accounting

Easy to use and migrate over from our last accounting software. Haven't looked back. Especially because of the reoccurring invoicing features and bank rule automation.

Pros

It allowed us to automate a lot of our billing and invoicing to cut down on administration.

Cons

Reconcilling when there is something that isn't adding up! That's more a reflection on my accounting skills than the software though.

Sarah K.
  • Industry: Design
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Xero allowed me to get my Dad's consulting business organized with ease!

Xero has provided a great experience from the beginning. It is fresh, clean, and very intuitive. I honestly think just about anyone could use it and figure it out.

Pros

I love that Xero is a one stop shop. As your business grows you can add on different tools that become more and more necessary with growth. I really appreciate all of the video clips it provides and also how easy they are to follow and understand.

Cons

I don't think at this point there is anything I don't like. It was just the thing I needed to help get my Dad's billing organized.

Paul T.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

Xero used to send timesheets and view payslips

It worked good enough. About 7/10 I'd say. But the office was happy so I guess thats what really matters

Pros

I was an employee and me moved over to Xero from another accounting package. The app i downloaded to my phone was used to send in my timesheets so I would get paid. Before this I had to create a weekly google sheet and email it. This led to mistakes in my pay so the app helped me to be paid accurately.

Cons

If the office had not uploaded the jobs in time for me when I was inputting my time sheet each day, I could not allocate time accurately and I had to keep a different record until they had updated Xero. It was not very intuitive in use on the app and I could not create a template.

Top Xero Alternatives

Jenny B.

Reviewed on 26/02/2021

Helpful, user friendly and intuitive accounts software

I was reluctant to pay the extra costs to move to Xero from my previous cheaper package but I am more than happy that I finally made the switch. It is a fraction of the cost of having a book-keeper to pay and I feel so much more confident that my accounts are working correctly. The option of additional plugins aid the automation for syncing with software such as woocommerce and amazon, ebay etc. It is a shame that they are additional costs but I would prefer that I had the option to integrate than not, and they are great time savers, which is the biggest help for small business owners.

Pros

Xero has a lot of automated features that make the process of accounts preparation easy and reliable. The bank feeds work smoothly and it is easy to set up rules to make the process automated on regular transactions - just a click to confirm entry. I have been able to integrate woocommerce, amazon and ebay transactions to ensure I am correctly treating VAT and International orders and purchases correctly.

Cons

As with any new accountancy software, there is a bit of technical detail to get your head around but that is probably to be expected. There are good help articles that are useful for the set up phase.

Sage 50cloud and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Xero

I wanted a greater degree of confidence that my accounts were correct when dealing with complex transactions such as International sales etc. This was especially important due to changes with Brexit etc. I was also keen to be able to automate where possible to save time.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

I felt it had been fully designed within the digital age in mind from the outset.
Monika V.

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

Xero for Business

I am happy, can be connected with my clients all the time, can prepare reports anywhere, anytime. I think the price for South Africa is a bit high

Pros

I like the product is easy to use, no need high knowledge of accounting, the person who never was doing accounting can easily manage this product

Cons

there is still missing a few things as inventory shall be a bit changed as people with two inventories in different places can not have two storages, there are few things that missing and can make it easier to work with

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Xero

the cloud, it is an advantage to be cloud due to my work I am travelling a lot and if client need help can do it on the move

more user friendly I think
Paul C.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 15/09/2019

Super Simple Accounting Software for Small to Medium Sized Businesses

As a small business our main priority is to keep our monthly book keeping tasks simple and quick. Since moving to Xero from MYOB we have found a significant reduction in our book keeping time input. We are NOT accountants or book keeping experts and Xero as an accounting system has definitely made this part of our business much more efficient. We are guided by our accountant as how best to use the software and have been able to develop a simple client - accountant relationship with Xero being the main conduit of information between us.

Pros

As a small business we found Xero to be a simple and very cost effective solution for all our accounting - book keeping needs. Xero is very easy to set up with your accountant and reduces the time you need to spend on book keeping tasks each month. With automatic bank feeds the time we need to reconcile our accounts each month is minimal. The audit trail features mean any issues that arise can be quickly found and fixed. Being able to notate any transactions enables our accountant to quickly respond to our queries. As a small business keeping our external accountant costs down is very important to us and by using Xero means the time our accountant has to actually spend on our accounts is less and therefore so are the invoices we receive from him!

Cons

Some of the automatic accounts Xero suggests you reconcile to are not correct so it is important to double check each transaction before reconciling. We had issues setting up some of the automatic bank feeds and still have one bank account that will not process the feeds so we need to enter those transactions manually. When uploading a file of transactions we also had some issues and found it quicker just to manually enter them into the software.

MYOB Essentials

Reasons for Choosing Xero

We found MYOB to be very time intensive on our part. As non booking experts our accountant recommended we make the switch and set up automatic bank feeds which we did. It has improved out book keeping efficiency tremendously. It has also saved us money in software costs and we don't need to be constantly ringing our accountant for help in reconciling transactions.

MYOB Essentials

Reasons for Switching to Xero

N/a. We were using MYOB and on our accountants advice we made the switch to Xero.
Hugo G.

Reviewed on 10/12/2020

Intuitive and simple!

We love it so much that we decided to become a Xero only bookkeeping firm. Virtually all clients we switched from other accounting software felt in love with Xero

Pros

I don’t have an accountant background and figured out how to use Xero right away. It’s very intuitive and logic. The reconciliation of transactions is so easy and Xero has featured that allows you to be very productive. Reporting functions are very diversified. The Xero team is very supportive and collaborate with all other app/software companies to support easy integration and customer experience. Xero integrated with over 800 other apps which gives our clients ta to build a complete system without having to duplicate transactions.

Cons

Unfortunately it is not very well known in North America.

Andrea O.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

Easy to Use package with lots of addons

Overall, with the available add-ons, it has significantly reduced our data entry time

Pros

Integrates well with adds on to provide more sophisticated reporting. Integration with AI products such as ReceiptBank and Approval Donkey also work well.

Cons

The project reports are not particularly good. There is more information in the project tabs than what you can obtain in the report which is disappointing.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Integration with other software, employee portals

MYOB Advanced

reputation, experience
Mark T.

Reviewed on 24/01/2020

Beautiful Business

All business functions and reporting including payroll and budgeting, invoicing and Key Performance Indicators on hand.

Pros

Xero is very user-friendly, and a dream to use.

Cons

There is nothing to not like about this product. It is constantly improving and evolving.

Sage Business Cloud Accounting

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Looking for a simpler and more robust recording and reporting tool.
Phill D.
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 19/07/2015

Overall great, but one flaw to be vary of

I have been using Xero for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. I was with MYOB but had a bad experience when they upgraded their systems to include cloud computing. I have had a look at their new systems, and while they are much improved and worth exploring for someone starting from scratch, I will still stick with Xero.

Pros

My accountants use it extensively so it makes my work and their work integrate so easily which ultimately saves money. Reconciliation is a very labour intensive exercise and Xero cuts a huge amount of time out of this process.

On its own it is quite cheap too. I have an expensive plugin (Tradegecko), but the functionality of that pays for itself. Xero creates the framework of my entire business system.

Cons

If you have a business where you have a large number of transactions coming in for the same value, e.g. if you have magazine subscriptions all for $5 a month each then Xero is not a good option, at all. I did have this problem and it was a total pain. I have corresponded extensively with Xero on this issue and they do not see it as a priority and have said directly that they have no intentions on making improvements. This surprises me as their customer service is generally quite good. There is quite a large thread on the support forums on this topic.

If this is a potential issue for you then here is my advice. Set up a trial account with Xero and MYOB and test both for this important reconciliation feature. If you know what you are doing it shouldn't take too long (or ask someone who knows what they are doing). These systems change and evolve so quickly that by the time you read this review one of them might have improved their system. MYOB has been beaten badly by Xero in the past few years but from what I have seen (I recently exhibited next to them at a show) they have come a long way since I stopped using their system.

Bill B.
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 17/08/2018

Complete true accounting online

Prior to Xero I was using a PC-based app. It lacked any connectivity and all data had to be manually imported and exported. I needed to automate as much of my day-to-day business operations as possible, and Xero was a big part of that. It integrates with my CRM and time-tracking app, and takes in my online payment processing. Reconciliation takes a minute or two every couple of days. It has enabled me to reduce my after-hours office time significantly.

Pros

Xero is a new-generation online accounting app built from the ground up for online usage. The interface is mostly intuitive and easy to navigate. The underlying framework is true double-entry accounting with all the power that provides, but you don't have to go there to get daily work done, as a rule. There is a vast array of integrations available to add leverage to your company dataflow. Support is good and rarely needed. The app is very well documented and supplies detailed help articles for most operations.

Cons

The pricing is not bad but I feel it is a little high for a one-person business. They offer a time-tracking add-on but it is an additional 50% of the app cost per month, and this is a feature many competitors throw in for free. Like all web-based apps, your enjoyment in using it will depend in part on the quality of your internet connection.

Josefina B.

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

Okay

it was okay. helped us grow and adjust to the next services

Pros

It worked for what we needed to do at the time. At the moment we were still growing, but we were missing a lot of features that would have been helpful. Like partial payments and discount options.

Cons

No ability to do partial payments of jobs, we could not discount certain things after creating the invoice. Which really made things hard at one point.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Xero

it was cheaper and we were just starting
Carl B.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 16/09/2019

Xero has transformed my accounts

Our overall experience with Xero has been nothing but positive and switching from Sage 50 was one of the our better business decisions.

Pros

Xero is extremely user friendly and easy to work with, enabling you to generate a multitude of reports that ultimately leads you to making better business decisions

Cons

Nothing major to dislike about Xero. It is a SaaS solution that is robust yet adaptable and suits my business down to the ground.

Mike Y.

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

A must for businesses

I’ve not used the full power of Xero yet but so far it’s been great in helping me keep track of real time spending etc. It’s certainly an asset to the business and I’m learning more as I use it

Pros

I very much like the ease of uploading expenses to Xero and the fact that you can save photos of your receipts rather than keep loads of paper receipts.

Cons

There are some things that you can’t do and this seems across the board for most programmes like this........you can’t quote someone and then after they accept send a % deposit invoice request. Very frustrating. This is how a lot of trades like us work.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 28/05/2018

A simple web-based bookkeeping suite with useful app integrations and bank feeds

As a new business owner with no prior accounting experience or education, Xero has been an excellent way to keep our business running smoothly.

Pros

As a user of Vend POS we are able to integrate using an extension with Xero, which simplifies our stock control and invoice payment and reconciliation workflow tremendously. The Xero suite has been a simple experience and we have been using it for Payroll for a year as well. Our CPAs are able to access and use the data to work on our tax returns as well.

Cons

There are more commonly used web-based bookkeeping and accounting suites that may be more suitable for more complex businesses such as Quicken where the adoption and recognition of terms, reports, workflows is already there. More CPA and employees will be familiar with them off the bat. Xero is a bit unique in that it was built from the ground up more recently as a simple alternative to these large corporate accounting suites and technologies.

Todd I.

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Xero Accounting review

Overall, this software does exactly what I need it to do. It could have better payroll integration, and work better with my bank accounts for reconciliation, but other than that it is a great piece of software that I've come to depend on daily.

Pros

This accounting software was an excellent choice to replace our aging systems with Quickbooks. It was easily deployed, and it's web based access allows access from anywhere we have internet connection. The ease of creating a quote, changing it to an invoice once the client has accepted it, is a great add on. The ability to add inventory items on the fly is very welcoming.

Cons

Having to pay for add ons after signing up for the FULL package was a disappointment to me.

Nicky T.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 23/03/2021

Accounting made easy

Great NZ company. My accountant is an administrator so can manage any issues I have. It is just a great product.

Pros

The main benefits for a small business owner is the ease and efficiency of this software. Creating invoices, reconciling accounts, GST returns are all a breeze.

Cons

Not that I can suggest. I'm fairly sure there are plenty of capabilities with this software that I am not using.

Scott M.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Easy to use after set up

Easy to use, lots of value for the money.

Pros

Over the last 5 years I have found Xero to be so much easier to use that what I used before (Quickbooks). It is also a great value, since it includes accounting, payroll processing, payroll tax filing and payment, and just about everything else I need to run the finances of my business. The tight integration with Paypal to receive payment on invoices is especially nice.

Cons

Over the past few years Xero has a addressed some of the less convenient aspects of the platform. The only thing that is still annoying is that there is no automatic feed for my bank. Only 4 U.S. banks (plus Paypal) have direct feeds. Users who bank with other institutions, have to go through a cumbersome process with Yodlee to update their feeds. That means entering the username for your bank and a confirmation code sent via email every time you want to update the transactions.

Roxy K.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 14/04/2017

Great value

I can't believe we run a company that has over a million dollars using Xero to keep track of expenses, bills, accounts receivables, banking and more. It is annoying that bank feeds break, sometimes a transaction is repeated and sometimes (most annoying) I reconcile transactions and the next day they appear again so I think I have reconciled March but it turns out I haven't..

Pros

-value
-ease to use
-api integrations (my company uses Stripe and FlowRev)
-colours
-support is generally good
-draft accounting reports quickly
-auto-sync with bank feed

Cons

-design settings (sometimes it's hard to find where to add users, inventory)
-search doesn't always work well, have to go into Sales to search with more detail
-I use Xero because I'm not a bookkeeper or accountant, the reporting although is great, I don't understand how to pull the necessary info I need to budget. I want to sent Marketing department their spend for the month and that's hard to do. I'm not sure if it's possible and I just can't figure it out.
-adding tips for restaurant receipts

Samantha K.

Reviewed on 06/06/2017

Xero for construction businesses

Xero has really helped our business and it is great to use. The support team are very quick to respond to any issues, and there is hardly ever an issue with the software, it is very reliable.

Pros

It is simple enough for non-bookkeepers to use and get great information, and it has the ability to produce all of ATO reporting needs, making GST and Tax returns really easy to complete. The sales and payments also integrate without purchasing software allowing us to complete accurate job costing without a lot of effort. We know when we are making money and when we are losing money on jobs.

Cons

Entering time sheets manually every week, because it doesn't link to our timesheet software, but this will change in the next year hopefully. Sometimes there are delays on bank feeds and we have to check the bank account instead of using xero.

Jen S.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 06/06/2017

Xero is a Game Changer

Although Xero is not a perfect product - I have setup over 300 clients on Xero and that either as a stand alone or with one or more Add-ons - Xero is a great option for businesses to start at a base level and scale up. The next option would be a medium business option that works to the same standard without the huge capital investment of an ERP system.

Pros

The main thing I love about Xero is it looks after the accounting very well. With its Open API you can integrate over 500 add-ons to automate and systemise your whole process. In days gone by only the big guys could afford this sort of powerful integrated system, but today Xero gives you the option to integrate the systems you find work for your business. Over the 5 years, I have been using Xero I can count on one hand the times that the system has actually gone offline. They have a great Assurance Dashboard to keep an eye on who is using the system. You can actually see all of the deleted and edited transactions as well as those that are void.

Cons

Although Xero isn't the cheapest in the market, it is backed up by customer service and by its Partners. In the US, they are still to roll out payroll for all the States.

Pamela D.

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

Great! Not Perfect

I would recommend Xero to anyone looking for an online accounting platform, especially since it's the best double-entry accounting platform available for the price.

Pros

More powerful than QuickBooks Online with a better user interface.

Cons

Less powerful than QuickBooks Desktop. There are a number of features missing that have been missing for years and despite numerous "up votes" for those features to be put into place, Xero has yet to develop them. Instead, they tend to expect you to use super expensive third-party add-on subscriptions to add in the missing functionality. Also, their connection to banks is a bit funky in that if you have multiple logins at a bank (i.e. such as at a credit union where each account has its own login), you need a separate user registered because each user can only connect to any given bank with one username and password set. This is not a problem with other online financial software we use, such as YNAB. Luckily, they have not implemented the wretched per-user pricing model that most software-as-a-service companies seem to be so drawn to these days.

Tom M.

Reviewed on 12/09/2018

Easy Accounting

Shortly after starting with Xero i purchased a whole lot of shares in the company because i thought this program can only get better. I lost a whole lot of money, but thats because im a great plumber and turns out every one else already knew it was good.
I wouldnt consider using any other program for my accounting, even if they offered it for free.

Pros

This makes the most boring subject in the world fun and easy.
Bank feeds, reporting, single click reconciling, intergrations with all my other software, and so much more.

Cons

I have a couple of hobby businesses that I run on xero that are turning over very minimal figures. It would be nice if there was a gate way package that allowed you to run for (free or very cheap). ie, if your turning over less .
I still use it though.

Richard S.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

Lucid Recruitment Loves Xero

Really good experience and would definitely recommend to others

Pros

Really easy to use and simple to set up for a great price

Cons

For our type of business there seems to be far too many options

Sage 100 Contractor

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Xero was the best value for money
Justin M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 06/08/2019

Great accounting and reliable bank feeds

Pros

- Bank feeds are consistent, quick, and streamlined. Reconciling is a breeze!
- Accessibility from app or web is sufficient for business needs
- Worry free automation with integration of most business software on the market
- Simple interface for quick use
- Solid organization of transactions and customers
- Invoice portal for customers is convenient and an added benefit

Cons

- Project feature is lacking functionality
- Reconciliation of an employee expense and business reimbursement isn't exactly doable unless adding adjustment
- Could use a little AI technology to recognize recurring bills and/or transactions
- Doesn't incorporate pre-made legal notices for late payments or quote contracts compared to AND CO