About Deltek Vision

Deltek Vision is a cloud-based project-based solution for professional services firms that is available for cloud or on-premise deployment. It combines project accounting, resource management, project management, time/expense...

Browse Deltek Vision Reviews

Tiyana L.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

Vision to Vantagepoint

We were using Excel for timesheets so having time and expense in one place and tying into our business process is wonderful. We also have the ability to get nice reports.

Pros

The software helps streamline some of our processes.

Cons

Not easy to navigate through CRM but here to learn.

Rhonda L.

Reviewed on 27/06/2017

I'm a believer in Deltek Vision

Pros

We use Vision for CRM and Proposals-Custom Proposals and Government forms. I love the connectivity between your firms, contacts with your opportunities and jobs. Using Vision enables us to store and retrieve our corporate history and the story of us...our projects, our people and our client relationships. I confess I am a power-user and have done most of the configuration to the system, so therefore understand it more than most others, but I can provide data of any kind from our system. We are integrated with a different accounting platform, so I can also provide up-to-date project reporting. We also use an intranet connector that makes our information easily obtainable/viewable through PC and mobile app (not the Deltek mobile app). I have used the Deltek Vision product since 2005 and had prior Deltek products since the late 1990's. Dewberry is a 2,000 person firm with 50 office locations in 18 states.

Cons

Although I live and breathe Deltek Vision, numerous people at our firm just can't grasp the details and complain that it is not user friendly. The learning curve seems slow for some people to overcome, actually many people, but once it's figured out, there seems to be high value in their usage. I like the custom reporting tool but my users find it so difficult that most refuse to use it. I think the most successful firms will have a Vision expert and a strong IT (SQL, reports) and application team on staff. If not, you probably would need a consultant. My team has been able to keep everything in house to date.

Debra H.

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Searching for data results in quick results, good report generation feature, easy to edit.

Information about each project such as who is the PM, lead architect, lead accountant, project location, legacy data, status, etc. is essential to our business. We can easily search for all current projects in any city, state, province, country. Our PMs use this to keep track of payments, invoices, employees assigned to the project, budget data, and documents stored on our servers can be linked from within a record. We can view other projects for the vendor or client.

Pros

It allows me to have three databases open. In my case, Projects, Employees and Timesheets. It's great to toggle between them without having to log out and in again. Data retrieval is quick. It allows me to search for very specific information so my results don't overwhelm. Data access is controlled at the user level so people cannot edit fields without proper permission. Before Vision, we used a database that contained project numbers that were preserved in the Vision database. So if we need to look up project data based on the old number, we are able to. This saves us a lot of time.

Cons

It is difficult to learn this software on your own beyond searching. There are so many features that allow us to look at the data in several ways. Most of those ways are unknown to me so training is required. I would suggest that companies provide proper training before implementing it firmwide to avoid frustration.

Katherine N.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 15/11/2016

Deltek Vision ERP Implementation needs an onsite professional

The controller left December 31st. The company went live February 1st. I began February 6th and I had never seen Deltek Vision before that day. Deltek Vision is a powerful, project management software which can help you have almost real-time visibility into all aspects of your business. Hi, my name is Kathy Nixon and I am a CPA, a PMP, and a professional coach. Post-acquisition mergers of systems, processes, and teams is my niche.
This assignment had me serving as interim corporate controller of a $130M+ Revenue company who was merging its three companies currently on Quickbooks all into one system, Deltek Vision.

Greatest take-aways:
1. Designate a Subject Matter Expert. It can be a Deltek Vision consultant or a third-party consultant with heavy Deltek Vision experience.
2. Develop a Steering Committee across all company disciplines and meet weekly. Decision making and joint buy-in is important.
3. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate. Communication to all areas of your organization is imperative to the success of the implementation.
4. Train, review, test, train some more. It takes a village to raise this child.
5. Designate or hire a project manager. For success, you need someone focused on all areas of this software's implementation. Setup, testing of setup, training, input, verify input accuracy, invoicing, collections, accounting and financial reporting.
6. Expect 6 months (to a year) before everyone is onboard.
7. Develop a budget which includes 5 times the software's cost. Yes, five times. It is a pay me now or pay to correct it later proposition.

Good luck! Wishing you success. Let me know how I can help.

Jeanice F.

Reviewed on 28/02/2017

My Experience

Overall, Vision is good. One feature I do not care for is the reporting and the fields are not in alphabetical order. I love the advanced search feature in reporting. I love the A/R transaction input experience where you just pull the invoice and it puts everything in. That is outstanding. Timesheets is another great feature of Deltek. One thing I feel needs to improve is the A/R search under the Accounting Tab/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review, if you don't know the invoice number and search by client, it pulls all projects for that client. It should only pull those projects with outstanding A/R. I don't care for the customer service thru the help. Calling was much better.

Pros

The A/R transaction entry, the advanced search in reporting, timesheet processes.

Cons

The project reporting list of fields not in alphabetical order when you are trying to create a report. I know you can sort but it would take that step away if it was automatic. The search for an invoice number under Accounting/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review.

Stephanie W.

Reviewed on 26/06/2017

Deltek Vision has everything an A&E firm needs to run its daily business. From project...

Pros

Everything that you need is in one software program. You can plan a new project, see which employees are available to sssign tasks to, and run payroll all with out leaving the software. Reports, including custom reporting, is quick and as easy as selecting what you want the report to show and hitting preview. From there you can print or save as either a PDF or as an excel spreadsheet which makes the reports even more versatile. With the addition of iAccess it's helping the 'away-from-the-office' employees be able to check time sheets and project info from anywhere.

Cons

The learning curve for implementing features not previously used is a little steep. There's not a lot of "free" tutorials for setting up features to begin with, although you can find quite a bit of information about using features once you have them set up correctly.

Jon H.

Reviewed on 20/04/2017

Can do almost anything you want, but not intuitive

Vision has the ability to track time and expenses and prepare project plans and report out that information in infinite detail. Benefits to your firm can be vast from timesheets, to project plans to CRM data and coordination.
However its unlimited potential also leads to a lack of intuitive processes for the casual user. Lots of training time is required for high performance users to be able to track and understand the data and reporting and connection. Can require significant time to accurately input and adjust details as project fees and schedules change.

Pros

Ability to report out data and create customizable reports and methods of reviewing and previewing that data. Useful for forecasting and reviewing upcoming projects.

Cons

Not user friendly or intuitive. Field names and connections to other fields are not readily apparent. Takes years to become fluent in the program.

Rossana O.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 14/04/2017

Deltek Vision

DRMP, Inc is a Civil Engineering firm with 350+ employees. It has been using Vision since 10 years ago and before that it used Advantage. The following modules have been implemented:
- Vision Core
- Vision CRM
- Vision Payroll
- Deltek Talent Acquisition
And we're in the process of implementing Asset Management and Deltek Talent Performance

Vision is used as our ERP system company wide.

Pros

- Very customizable. As it uses SQL as the backend database, custom store procedures can be created to automate company processes.
- Very powerful software that can meet a lot of the company's needs.
- The use of workflows is something else that is very beneficial because it allows to automate task.

Cons

- The security portion is cumbersome and sometimes not very flexible.
- Training is very expensive

Kevin N.

Reviewed on 07/03/2017

Comprehensive software solution, but plan on building your processes around it

I've been the Vision champion in our organization since 2008 when we began to use it. Vision has been steadily improving over the past 10 years and also been getting left behind in innovation. Over our time with Vision we've evaluated other software at a few points and have not found a single solution that can provide a similar integrated experienced. The power of Vision and the reporting is built on Microsoft's SQL engine, but it does require users to be invested in learning it's use to get the most out of it. Without proper time devotion, training, and some trial and error it does leave users frustrated.

Along with the power of the product comes a lot of over-complication and reported amounts that often aren't as expected or isn't fully explained or clear on where the data is coming from and what it means. This is probably the primary problem with Vision in my eyes - data labeled in one area of the program isn't the same as data reported under the same or very similar label in another part of the program.

The end user experiences and ease of use is greatly lacking, but should be vastly improved as Vision is (finally) becoming modern and migrating from a .NET platform to a HTML/web-based platform. This upgrade shows promise of having better end user use and intuitiveness. We are hopeful that Vision will continue to be a tool for our company for many more years.

Pros

Powerful reporting and a mostly, all-in-one solution for managing our firm and projects

Cons

Usability. The lack of a user to be able to sit down with the product and pull the data they want without significant training. Data reported is calculated differently in part of the software - revenue in one area is actual billed amount while revenue in another is hours worked times billing rates.

Diane G.

Reviewed on 07/03/2017

Deltek 2020

I have been a Deltek user for 25 years and have gone through many software changes from CFMS to Advantage to Deltek. Your team is very good with upgrades and now that we are in the Cloud, even better. We utilize your Knowledge base before we place a call for Chat. Your team members are very good at following up to make sure our question / concern was addressed. If I could add one thing to my wish list it would be a fully integrated HRMS module. Deltek's flexibility has enabled me to create my own, but a fully functioning module would be tremendous benefit for me.

Pros

The integration of data between departments. I also like the capabilities for user designed fields.

Cons

Some integration has not been successful. Would like to carve out some time to address again.

Cindy C.

Reviewed on 12/06/2015

Great integrated ERP solution for project-based business

Pros

The product is designed for architects, engineers and project-based consultants and it does that very well. The best part to me is that it is a 360 degree solution from sales lead tracking to proposal creation to project accounting to overall company financial results and back again. It covers the entire project lifecycle and emphasizes how every piece of data from every stage of that cycle integrates and affects all the other stages.
The vendor is great at taking customer feedback and working that in to future releases of its products.

Cons

The only difficult thing we have come across is due to the fact that our company is very small and the software is generally built for mid-sized companies. It means that many of the modules can be overkill for us and the training needs a bit more than we expected to use all the features, bells and whistles.

Kelly C.

Reviewed on 30/03/2017

Great Program, Lots of Capability

We are a small architecture firm and, honestly, Vision is probably way bigger than what we actually have needed in the past. That said however, we have really benefitted from the portions of the program that we do use and have used, and there are several new portions that we are just starting to grow into. Our experience with the customer service team has been great, they really take the time to work with you so you understand what you're doing, and the Quick Chat feature is great for those quick little questions you have from time

Pros

The capabilities are amazing.

Cons

It's a bit bulky. I wish that there was more of an "a la carte" way to use the program. We are a small design firm, and a good chunk of Vision isn't really anything we use.

Diana Y.

Reviewed on 22/02/2018

Project Based ERP

Pros

I love that this is a project based solution as well as the ability to customize the product. PM and accountants are able to clearly see every project and allows for easy out of the box project reporting. Customer service is also amazing.

Cons

Our set up is a bit different, we have a lot of customization which sometimes affects the software's performance, but this is our own doing so we can't hold it against the product. The fact that it can be customized is a plus, the downside is you have to upgrade the custom(s) every time you want to upgrade or even apply the a CU.

David G.

Reviewed on 06/11/2018

Deltek Vision Review for Engineers

Pros

Easy to keep track of time for consultants. Fairly easy to navigate through the system, but you need to use it all the time otherwise you'll forget. I like the fact that it predicts or can search for fields even if you don't have a full job number for a project. I also like that there is an APP for the software.

Cons

Takes too long to load up. My android app also isn't so fast , and there isn't as many options available on the app as I would like (i.e. to read comments that people write before I approve their timesheet or expense sheet).

Eric W.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 21/11/2017

The "Do It All" Project-Based ERP

Deltek Vision has quite the array of built-in configuration settings to allow any project-based consulting firm to tailor the software to their needs. One of my favorite things about Deltek Vision is that it gives me the ability to track and integrate critical business information through the use of the software's built-in custom information centers.

Pros

Customer Support, Extensibility, Built in Configuration Options, Vast Reporting Capabilities, Detailed Documentation, Full Project Life-Cycle Integration

Cons

To keep consulting costs to a minimum, it would be best to have an internal SME to get the most out of the product.

Nancy E.

Reviewed on 29/03/2017

Deltek Vision Cloud SAS

I have been using Deltek Vision for approximately two years. Company provides professional services, so mainly T&E projects, a few fixed price projects. Integrated T&E and financials works very well. Standard reports provide most of what we need and have found customizing easy to do. Mainly using accounting, billing, T&E, reporting. Setting up new projects, new employees, new vendors, and new clients is pretty simple. However, some of the backend setup, such as Revenue Methods is complicated, so we've had to hire a consultant a couple of times. Deltek Customer Support has been great. Prompt response time and great follow up. No issues with system availability either.

Pros

Integrated T&E with financials.

Cons

User manual does not provide enough detail on configuration. Anything complicated requires use of a consultant.

Laura L.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 28/06/2017

Deltek Vision does it all

Sign up with a local user group and attend Insight to enhance your Vision skill set.

Pros

Deltek Vision is high on connections. Start with the Client, link off to the: contacts for that Client, Opportunities created for that Client, Projects created for that Client and see a Project Review which includes billing, cost and AR information.

Cons

Since Deltek Vision is both powerful and comprehensive, there is a learning curve. Be prepared by reading documentation and learning from your coworkers.

Nicole G.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 20/03/2017

Deltek Vision Review

Some of the areas are easy to use but some stuff is hard to find and add. It would be better to have simple terms and explanations in order to add information or search boxes, we have trouble sometimes configuring reports. The layout seems simple but it is actually kind of confusing. I would like to be able to change things and have more control to manipulate and still be able to run the reports under my projects. We are working and figuring it out as we go but still having trouble figuring out how to populate the information we are looking for because it is what we think it is. Also, sometimes it is hard to add in things because it is hard to figure out what sub area that item would be in. Overall I just feel the product could be a little more user friendly for running reports and customizing things. We are trying to incorporate Vision more this year to get the rest of our team on board so I hope to learn more as we go, but I still find that ultimately it takes a lot of time to figure some of the things out just because it isn't really intuitive at all. I think vision should go around and meet with those using the product to see what more they could change to make it more user friendly. It is hard to explain over a written review. I will say however, that the program does work great for tracking projects invoices and such so overall on that part I am satisfied.

Pros

Tracking projects

Cons

Not intuitive when it comes to customizing and running reports. Too many sub areas and can be hard to find the right thing.

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Efficient Software

Pros

Very flexible piece of software that is simple to use and can be configured to be impactful in an array of situations. You do not need to be a programmer to learn how to set it up. The software is very responsive and it is seamless between time and billing.

Cons

The software is only available on Explorer. I find it difficult to somethings find out what information I need out of it. I have also had issues with the saving function, which results in lost work, time and sometimes having to completely start over. Would like to see the copy and paste functionality be improved.

Bob A.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 05/04/2017

Vision Essentials review

We purchased deltk vision module to help us do project and resource planning of our critical engineering resources. We are medical supplier and using deltek to help us align project planning functions to resource draw. Our business is very dynamic due to customer, regulatory and market dynamics. Needless to say what starts out as a plan can change many times over. The linkages between the planning and the resource capacity assesments and reports are great. The Planning portion of deltek seems underdeveloped. Simple functions like a undo button dont exist. Comparisons of users who lived in a MS Project environment prior to deltek complain about simple functionality. I know there are upgrades coming throughout the year and we are anticipating some of our frustrations might be resolved.. Will wait and see. We are on the last year of our contract and love the resource feedback that the deltek system gives us. The cost to doing that is too much time in the planning module required to get that output. When initially selecting deltek it was obvious to us that it was geared to more service industry sectors then to a R&D and manufacturing company like ours. Using it going on 3 years we have enough frustrations with the planning side that we are researching other options to understand if something better exists. Really hope the planning side improves and makes our project managers more efficient.

Pros

See previous comments

Cons

See previous comments

Laurie P.
  • Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 04/04/2017

Deltek/Vision review - April 3, 2017

I am enjoying learning the many features of Vision - will take a LOT of time - but the robust nature of most of its features is great. Disappointed in the PO module - quirky - please bring up to par. Disappointed in some reporting limitations - fields not being available for filtering, and detail not being available always.

Pros

like that we can go as simple or as deep as we want with the use of items

Cons

documentation is too complex. you should have educators as your consultants and have them write your support/how to documentation. too complex right out of the gate. need overlays of difficulty/features so that knowledge is built up gradually.

Curtis C.

Reviewed on 11/04/2017

Great ERP Software for service companies!

We are a Service Company and have been using Vision for a little over a year now. Out of the box you have a lot of options on how to setup the system to meet your firm's needs. If there is customization that isn't available out of the box the software is flexible enough so that it can be incorporated into your firm's setup. After working through the implantation issues we are beginning to see all the benefits the system is able to prove to management.

Pros

Revenue Generation, Reporting, and Analysis Cubes

Cons

Lack of credit card reporting, and limited 1099 setup.

Stacy H.

Reviewed on 20/03/2017

I love Vision!

All you need is some basic training of Vision and you can do just about anything. I've worked in CostPoint before as well and the training on that was horrible, but moving from CostPoint to Vision was super easy. If you have the right trainers when implementing, you will have no problems.

Pros

Love the pay when pay function, it works great.

Cons

Running reports can be a bit tricking, you need to massage the data to get what you want.

• Used Monthly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 02/04/2019

Guaranteed project organization

Pros

Which entrepreneur would not like to have a platform that guarantees organization and an orderly management of their work and projects? If you're looking for that, then Deltek Vision is ideal. Its functionality is fully designed to undertake a working sheet complex enough not to miss any detail.
This platform contains tools to constantly monitor the status of the project and the use of personnel. Therefore, it is an integrated system to track all financial planning data and resources. It also has the possibility that you can manage all your content through the cloud, so your information will always be guaranteed.
It is clear that this application is totally aimed at a certain target of professionals that can get the most out of it. Not everyone can manage their business and projects with Deltek Vision. Must be a trained person to interact with the program in question.
However, if you are, and you are looking for that tool that easily manages customer relationships, track opportunities and estimate project costs, then do not wait any longer and start working with Deltek Vision.

Cons

Perhaps one of the most important details that contrast with its proper functioning, is the complex structure that composes it. While it has innumerable forms and operating tools, it can overwhelm the shape of your design. In addition, being a tool for such a specific audience, it will surely cost anyone with few studies on the subject of business, accounting, and management.

Reviewed on 02/12/2018

Deltek Vision works when you need it too.

I inherited a pretty customized Vision, which was not reliable. Once stripped back to bone stock, the application never has issues it seems.

Pros

Their in house support is excellent. They understand the importance of their software running efficiently for customers to have success.

Cons

What I like least is that we have to go through a reseller to renew each year instead of direct.