Todoist Reviews

About Todoist

Todoist is a to-do list and task manager for professionals and small businesses. Combining tasks, projects, comments, attachments, notifications, and more, Todoist lets users streamline their personal and team productivity and...

Browse Todoist Reviews

2,370 of 2,371 reviews
Rikaz
Rikaz

Reviewed on 09/05/2022

An essential organization tool for self and teams!

Todoist has been a pleasure to use and I can't recommend it enough especially as a starting app for your teams.

Pros

Todoist has multiple features which make it easy to use.

The mobile app is minimal in design and easy to navigate. Setting up a task and sub-tasks, adding members, communicating with the team, & managing projects is just so easy. On Android there is even a widget to directly add tasks to the app.

The web app is equally up to the task of it's Android cousin having nearly all the features of the Android App.

Cons

Being a freemium service, Todoist requires users to pay for their premium services as well as being limited to 5 active projects, 5 collaborators per project, & 5 MB file uploads in the free version.

Any.do

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Todoist user interface was easier to use.

Any.do

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist takes the lead due to it's ease of use and better user interfaces.
Jeremy
Jeremy
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 01/12/2022

Todoist: The Best Task Management App?

As self-employed creative professional, Todoist has greatly aided me in keeping track of disparate projects. Quick overviews, assigned tasks and reminders help me to get the job done, and not get overwhelmed.

Pros

The Todoist interface is attractive, and a real breeze to use. Being able to assign and add sub-tasks, plus things like Productivity visualizations make it a true productivity tracking app.

Cons

There could be stronger visual cues for when sub-tasks exist within a task.

monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Asana's interface was too cluttered and confusing.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

The free version of Todoist offered everything I needed, even with the free version.
Laura
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Easy To Use, Not So Easy To Organice

The founder of the company really likes it to keep track of what everyone is doing so I've been using it for the last 5 months (since I started in this company).
But anyway, I actually keep using the Notes App on Mac which is really similar to Todoist but I can keep my tasks private - which is something I wish I could do on Todoist, not sure if there is a way already but it's not very clear who can see what.

Pros

Me and my team really like how easy to use it is.
It helps keeping track of what needs o be done and lets other people know what's been completed.
It doesn't over complicate things and it's really good that you can have it on your phone and get updates on notifications.

Cons

I get that keeping it simple must be the main idea behind this app. However, I'd appreciate if some hierarchy could be applied when organising the tasks.
The way to organise projects on the left part could be, for example, group into folders so once a project is finished you could, for example, move it to an archive folder.

All the Karma points system and the notifications is a bit confusing or just not clear enough. Is it just to cheer you up when you've completed many tasks or has it got any actual purpose?

But the most important: I wish tasks wouldn’t disappear from my inbox right when I complete them.
I wish I could still see them (maybe in a lighter grey colour) so I see what I've completed and then I could manually move them into a project folder when I don't want to see them anymore.

Also, I'd appreciate if some type of colour coding could be applied in some way.

Top Todoist Alternatives

Luca
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 23/11/2023

Feature rich and with great APIS

Pros

I use Todoist to manage the topics to be discussed in my podcast. I have a shared list with my co-host which can be re-arranged live to compose our episodes. It was also super easy to use Todoist's APIs to have some data automatically added to our topic list.

Cons

I don't love the fact that (at least on the Mac) it's an electron-based app and not a native one.

Craig
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 21/04/2023

Todoist - A flexible and value for money work and project management tool

Very positive real world use experience over the last few years and ensures nothing is missed or forgotten and all project/stakeholder requests/asks are quickly captured and integral to how my team operates.

Pros

The ease of use for creating different 'project' areas that have unique project stages and tasks. These projects can often be repetitive in approach and nature and the ability to create 'template' saves time, improves consistency and quality of project delivery and contributes to project delivery success.Integrations with other cloud tools/email provides greater flexibility and completeness ensuring all tasks are captured at point of creation and no requests/tasks are forgotten.

Cons

Nothing so far - very flexible tool, available across desktop/webapp/smart devices and the price is very good for smaller organisations and teams to have a very capable project/task management solution.

Microsoft Project and Slack

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Overall, the flexibility and ease of use in creating workflow that fitted how my team works, the great pricing, integration options, ease of initial set up and the number of options for working with the product ensure access to the product and features are never far away.
Wiktor

Reviewed on 27/06/2023

Not enough integration in Todoist

I used to for both personal and bussiness needs for a few moths. But as my bussiness grow and i wanted to manage my personal tasks more consistently, i needed integration with other software. Since Todoist did not provide enough integration options, i had to switch to other software.

Pros

Elegant design, speed and some intuitive, easy to learn features in the field of task and project managment,

Cons

It doesn't have enough integration with other softwares. Since I can't reasonably connect it to my e-mail, my calendar, my notes taking app, the value of Todoist drops down.

Microsoft To Do

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Searching for quicker, more easily adjustable software, which would meet my personal and bussiness needs.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist is nicer, more elegant, faster and more advanced.
Eladio
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 18/10/2023

Best in the market solution for task management

I love the app. It works in every devide. Easy and fast. It is a must to have for me

Pros

It is fast and easy to add a new task. There are plenty of shortcuts to create, schedule and program recurrent tasks, from everywhere in tyour computer

Cons

I use Todoist for both work and grocery list. The day I go to the supermarket I eliminate tons of tasks (items ti buy). That completely misrepresent the real work I'm doing that day and ruins the Karma count in the app.

Karen
Karen
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 04/10/2023

Excellent features and easy to use

Easy to use across every platform I have.

Pros

works across multiple platformsintegrates into other systems without needing admin rightsProvides a lot of functionality such as multiple lists, schedulingHas several different productivity systems built in that you can use and learn as you go along

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything that needs improving!

• Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 04/10/2023

Really good to track personal goals

Really good, I use it for my personal tasks and business tasks when it's just me in charge of the tasks.

Pros

It's easy to use, intuitive and their free tier is a good fit for most of the people, also the paid tier really worth it

Cons

When using in big teams is not so easy to manage the tasks, it gets a little difficult and complex

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist free plan is really good and for personal uses i preferred Todoist. Also their mobile app is minimalist and really easy to use.
Christopher
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 30/11/2023

An honest and intelligent task management software

Overall my experience with the software is very good. It keeps me sane.

Pros

The simplicity of it, and how it is completely accessible through my keyboard.

Cons

Sometimes it can feel a little static. Not a very dynamic software. Task can feel like chores.

Scott

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

Intuitive product, quick to implement

I'm a proud premium member because the software does its job and doesn't get in my way. I use it for both my work and personal tasks, but separating the two out is really simple to do.

Pros

I've tried dozens of systems for my day-to-day tasks, and finally landed on Todoist a couple years ago. The natural language processing for entering in tasks makes it easy to type something in using the iOS app and pick up where I left off later on my Mac. Typing in a date automatically adds the date information, which means I can just type "add photo to new blog post tomorrow" and have the task on tomorrow's list without having to fiddle in menus.

As they say, it just works.

Cons

Things that "just work" tend to have their little nuances that mean sometimes it doesn't just work. Todoist is constantly pushing out updates behind the scenes through their server back-end, which means you're always on the latest version of the software even if you don't update the client software. Sometimes that means they move too fast and break things. There have been multiple occasions where the software suddenly doesn't work as expected and I have to wait a couple hours for them to push out a fix. Perhaps their testing procedures will meet enterprise expectations eventually, but this is normal for cloud services these days...

Kristen
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

The perfect tool for keeping your to-do list organized

I use ToDoist to keep track of tasks sent to me by clients. I don't use it for project management, extensive notes, or workflow so much as a simple to-do list of projects that need to be completed. Sometimes you don't need to write a lot of details - you just need to be sure you do the task and todoist is the best software I have found for that. Love it!

Pros

I love how it's a no frills to-do list I can access on my computer and phone. I love being able to set up different projects, due dates, and sub tasks. It also helps me with my EOM invoicing so I know what I did for each client.

Cons

I wish I could get more features for free. The comment feature and ability to set reminders look great. Although, Todoist does send me an email every day letting me know what's on my list, so that is very helpful even without reminders.

Trello, Asana and Notion

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Asana is a great tool for projects with deeper complexity, but there was too much to fill out and add when I just wanted to manage my tasks. Todoist is exactly what I was looking for.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist was straightforward and non-distracting. It did exactly what I needed without me getting pulled into a rabbit hole of writing notes or project management when none was needed.
Yoana

Reviewed on 27/08/2020

Works really well until I had too many tasks and then...overwhelm!

I really like the interace and ease of use, it's one of my favorite apps in terms of the UI. It's a really quick setup, the fonts are clean and easy to read, the tags and projects are colored nicely, it just wasn't the app that helped me actually get things done.

Pros

While I was using this software, I really liked the sleek and modern interface to add new tasks. It was quick, easy, and the UI was awesome. I wish all task management apps had an UI like Todoist. The tagging feature was also super quick to add, which saves me time adding tasks.

The feature to reschedule tasks I didn't do based on the load for my week was good, not as good as Skedpal (which is why I switched) but better than I've seen in other task managemetn apps I've tried and used.

I also really liked the minimalism of the screen, I never felt that it was too clunky or too many options being displayed at once and overwhelming me.

Cons

The reason I switched is because I had so many tasks added in I became overwhelmed. This isn't necessarily the apps fault, I should add time in my calendar to do a weekly review, etc... but it just wasn't happening. I switched to SkedPal because it schedules the tasks for me on my calendar, ensuring I get them done. With ToDoist, if something didn't get done, I would have an overdue task, and then need to schedule it into my calendar myself and spend time figuring out what time slot, etc..., then go back to Todoist if the time didn't work out, etc... it wasn't flexible enough to auto schedule and place it on my calendar with the option to roll over to the next day if not completed. (At least at the time that I used it). If it's not on my calendar, it doesn't get done because other things will fill my calendar and then I'm out of time and my Todoist tasks are not completed.

Zeynel
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 24/02/2021

One of the sofware I wish I had been used before

I use Todoist for almost anything in my life. From managing complex project to editing watching, reading shopping list, to scheduling my workout plan to tracking my monthly progress and so on. I also use this software as a bookmark tool for something I need to watch, read or write later. It is like part of my life.

Pros

* It provides almost anything you expect from a productivity app.
* Not only does it help you to create or manage your task but it also motivate you with its feature of karma level.
* The feature of 2 way sync with Google Calendar is great. I can easily schedule my task and plan my day in a calendar, without even have to open Todoist. Being able to create new sub-calendar in your calendar for each project in Todoist, is even better.
* You can create sub-tasks in sub-task in a subs-task and so on. Moreover, for each sub-task, you can add due date, notes. And this feature is really precious while you working on complex project.
* Sorting and grouping features make task management more effective.
* There are shortcuts for almost all stuff. Just typing with keyboard, you can add task, set the due date and priority level and move it to any project. That makes editing projects even faster.
* There are board and list view options. It is really helpful while dealing with different types of projects.
* There are well-organized templates to create a project faster.
* You can create so many project and easily edit, sort, or group them.
* Scheduling options are more than enough. It is so powerful editing recurring tasks.
* Maybe some of the features require payment but I can't complain about it because it is not so expensive and it is effective enough without it premium feature.

Cons

* Although its 2-way sync with Calendars is really powerful, it would better if there was a calendar view option.
* Sometimes, there may be a sync problems with Calendar apps.
* I used to monitor multi-project in one screen. But I cannot do it anymore, after the new updates.
* There could be habit tracker option for recurring tasks .

Ami

Reviewed on 21/02/2022

Perfect Your Productivity With Todoist, Not Your Trello Board

I've used them all. From AirTable to ClickUp. From Asana to Trello. I liked them all for two weeks, and then I got lost in the formulas. I desperately just wanted something that looked like a to-do list.

I'm fairly tech-savvy. I'm used to Excel spreadsheets, and I enjoy automation. But when it comes to project management, I found that I was spending more time sorting out my Trello boards (or any other board) to be presentable, set up automations, and generally maintain it, than actually getting work done.

I'm a copywriter, and my business revolves around creating copy for clients. As such, time management is a massive part of what I do. So, I needed to find something that was simple, presented clearly, and easily edited.

Then I found todoist. It's brilliantly straightforward. You need to set up different 'workspaces', but it's literally just different lists. I use a different list for different clients. They can see only their list, and no one else's. Then, click the + button to add tasks. You can add subtasks, too, which is super useful.

I personally LOVE the noise it makes when you cross off one of your tasks. A super pleasing 'click' like noise. You can set daily goals of the number of tasks you want to complete, too, which is good for productivity.

Overall, Todoist has a really simple design, and an even simpler user-experience. But that's why I love it so much.

Pros

I love how straightforward Todoist is to use. The design is clean and clear, and everything about it is just as simple. I was fed up with the complex formulas of other project management software.
I'm a massive fan of the subtasks feature. You can create smaller tasks underneath a bigger task, which, as a copywriter, is very useful. I can pop in tasks like 'Competitor Research', and then place subtasks under this that help me finalize the task.

I also love that you can set notifications as deadlines. It's almost like an alarm that pings when you need to get something done. You can customize it, too, to send you reminders a certain number of days ahead of time. That helps your productivity massively.

You can also add on clients to your lists, so they can monitor the progress that has been made.

Cons

There are no massive negatives to this software. There are areas they could grow. AirTable, for example, has automations that you can set up. So, if a task has been completed, an automatic email (which you can customize) is sent to the client informing them a task has been completed. If Todoist wanted to do something like that, I think it's important for them to remember that their appeal is simplicity, so it would need to be consistent with that.

Oluwadamilola

Reviewed on 21/01/2023

A Comprehensive Look at Todoist - A Powerful Task Management Tool

I've been using Todoist for several years now and it has been an invaluable tool for keeping my work and life organized. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, and I appreciate the ability to sync my tasks with other apps. The cost is a bit pricey but the features make it worth it.

Pros

Todoist is an incredibly powerful and user-friendly task management tool. It's incredibly easy to use and allows me to organize my work and life tasks in a way that's intuitive and efficient. It also integrates with a variety of other productivity apps, making it easy to sync my tasks with my other projects.

Cons

The biggest downside is the cost. Todoist is not the cheapest option out there. Additionally, the free version does not offer as many features as the paid versions, so users looking for more advanced features may need to opt for the paid versions.

Alexi
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 16/02/2022

Never Forget a Thing and Get it Done

Pros

I love how intuitive and pretty the interface is, meaning, that I am not discouraged or afraid to open the software. The most important feature is definitely the natural language processing that is extremely intuitive and understand what I try to do.

Cons

If you are bilingual or write tasks in multiple languages, the software may become confused.

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Todoist has a card view which redeems Trello useless as it isn't very different.

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Simpler and has a free tier to get started.
Oğuz
  • Industry: Computer Games

Reviewed on 09/12/2022

A Miraculous Task Management Tool: My Todoist Review

I've had a great experience with Todoist and highly recommend it for anyone looking for an effective task management tool. It's incredibly intuitive and easy to use and the syncing across multiple devices is incredibly helpful.

Pros

Todoist is a fantastic task management tool that helps me to stay on top of my various tasks and projects. The intuitive UI is easy to use and the cross-platform compatibility gives me the freedom to access my tasks from anywhere.

Cons

The biggest downside to Todoist is that it lacks some advanced features that I need for more complex projects. Additionally, the free plan has a rather limited feature set and may not be enough for some users.

Khazianah
Khazianah
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

Help me tracking task progress

Me and my colleague really glad that we are changing to Todoist as our main to-do list software. None of our task is left behind because we forgot to do it, as this software will remind us for any task that is unfinished and has past its due date.

Pros

All my task that i created in this software are track-able which really helps in managing my work list and my personal to-do list. Setting reminder to my event using the calendar can be integrated to my google calendar, as i usually using google calendar as my main scheduler.

Cons

Storing and sharing my document internally using Todoist is not easy as they promoted. I prefer to integrate it with other storing services that has not limit on the file size.

Reviewed on 19/04/2019

Streamlined Planning on All Devices

I used Todoist a few years back and loved it. I then switched to a different platform for one reason or another, but ended up coming back to Todoist for its ease of use and ability to have recurring tasks. I use it for my personal tasks as well as for my business tasks.

Pros

I use Todoist for both my personal task manager as well as my business task manager. I'm a work-from-home mom with a growing business and I like that I can seamlessly use this for ANY task I need to complete. I am able to put household chores, personal projects and work projects all in one. It allows me to organize and categorize all of my to-dos I add.

I love that I can have this on my desktop, tablet and phone and they seamlessly update constantly. It helps me know what needs to be done wherever I am.

The other thing that I absolutely LOVE and saves me tons of time is that I can make some tasks recurring. I am able to add weekly, daily or monthly tasks to my to-do list. This has helped me so I never forget a task or skip doing things that come up just once in a while.

When life gets really busy, and unexpected things come up I can easily change my tasks to a different due date. This makes a world of difference in actually getting my tasks done. Instead of having a to-do list a mile long, I can re-prioritize what I have left and add it to different days as needed.

Cons

My only complaint is that I'm not able to see what I've checked off in the free version. Sometimes a task will get accidentally bumped and marked as done on my phone, and I have no way of going back to retrieve what it was without paying.

The other thing I wish there was in this software was a way to add these items to my calendar. I use Google Calendars, and it would be really nice to be able to take a task and place it on my calendar schedule as well to keep my life super organized.

Arturo
Arturo

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

Your ideal project assistant for you or your team

The concept of Todoist is not just to write down reminders and that's all, for that we have the notes app that gives us the same phone, but what they try to do is to have this continuous tracking to help you complete your goals, pending tasks that you need to do in your daily life. Also being able to work collaboratively on hundreds of projects that the app offers you, is something to talk about, as it helps your organization to always be effective and be able to keep track of what we have not done, and what we have done as a team.

Pros

I loved the ease of this software to be able to tell you and guide you through all the functions that Todoist has, since being able to create projects and pending tasks for the day, for the week, or the weekend is too easy because the app feels very dynamic and even satisfies you every time you meet a pending goal.
In terms of price, it is extremely economical, since you have 300 active projects that are for more "pro" people as the platform would say since it offers collaborative work in the same way and has these frequent reminders so you never forget or miss something or pending goal. And of course, you have an automatic backup at any time.

Cons

It may be because of the limited functions that you get when using the free plan since they only give you 5 active projects and you don't have reminders, you do have them but you get them by your email, instead of in the pro you have more customization in all this topic. But being frank, for that person who does not have so many pending in the day today, it is perfect because you do not ask for more and the app is excellent.

Notion
Zoran

Reviewed on 11/04/2018

An easy to use, versatile, productivity and organization multi-platform app.

Todoist is great for scheduling and deadlines and is an excellent collaboration tool. It is available on many platforms both online and offline, easily syncs and has an offline functionality.

As a productivity tool, Todoist is great for teams allowing 50 people per project. It features the centralized team billing, management log-in tracking and priority support at an affordable price. It takes some thought and time to customize and use the product.

The free version is restrictive, but the paid version offers a 30-day trial that uses a credit card information and is easy to cancel. Also, it is relatively affordable with a monthly plan. I highly recommend Todoist for freelancers, small, medium, and even large businesses.

Pros

Real-time Data Synchronization among the different platforms.
30-day trial and easy to cancel.
The end of trial email reminder.
Many ways to measure and visualize progress.
Variety of platforms, apps, and plugins supported as follows: Web, Win, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Android watch, Apple watch, extensions for Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.
Email plugins for the Outlook and Gmail.
It integrates with hundreds of applications such as Google Drive, Dropbox, IFTTT, and Pomodoro.
Great social media presence.
An excellent support blog and support help guide center.
Todoist Sync and REST API for creating custom tasks and custom integration sync.
Customizable shortcuts are available everywhere, regardless of the plan.
Shared project settings.
Quick add task feature.
Project, label, reminders priority and a quick comment.
Productivity meter.
It has many options available for editing tasks.
Available in 17 languages.
Available in 10 multi-color themes.
Daily and weekly goals.
Motivational features.
Backup downloads.
Automatic downloads.
Google Calendar 2-way sync integration.
An email notification controls.
Centralized team billing.
It adds projects, labels, and filters to the favorites.
It adds and removes users easily.
The Todoist for Web changelog contains details for the web, plugin, and desktop versions of Todoist.

Cons

Not a straightforward way to sign up with an existing account on an Android app.
The trial requires a credit card info although it is easy to cancel.
An Android app does not move to the SD card.
Free version for Android lacks reminders/alerts.
It limits the list to 200 active projects and tasks per project in the premium version. It should be unlimited.
2048 characters per task name and 255 characters per project name It should be more than that.
The interface takes some time to master and lacks consistency.
The calendar feature is missing.
Personal and business lists are not plainly separated.

RICCARDO

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

Optimal choiice

I adopted Todoist as my task management tool for many years. I adopted the Premium plan starting from 2014, and never changed.functionalitie

Pros

Ease of use, availability og keyboard shortcuts for task creation.
Features are really rich, especially in the cheap Premium plan.
Tasks can be assigned to project and easily prioritized by means of the user interface or by keyboard combinations (e.g. p1 assigns priority 1, #work assigns the task to project work, and so on).
Filters are a powerful feature. I usually create a specific filter for each week with ease, so that I can check if I completed my tasks for the week.
An useful feature for project management s the availability of sub-tasks.
Can be integrated with a bunch of other apps. I personally adopted the integration with Google calendar and IFTTT so that an event in Calendar becomes a task in Todoist, and/or vice-versa.
The user can also list all the completed activities.

Cons

Considering the completeness of the features, it is difficult to think about further improvements.

Praveen
Praveen

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

Your User Friendly Productivity app but not Feature Rich

I love Todoist for the ease of use but the features are lacking. I love Amazing Marvin for its features but it is not easy to use. I wish Todoist can inspire from other advanced productivity tools in market and add more features.

Pros

I love the task scheduling feature in Todoist because it can convert plain text to due dates automatically. Quick reschedule feature saves a lot of time. In a nutshell it is mid tier in features but top tier in ease of use for the features it offers. The gamification feature (karma points) are basic but does the job to keep me engaged to keep using Todoist and stay productive.

Cons

The workflow management is basic and a lot to be desired here. You can create a board style project but there are no automations not even basic like close the task when I move to Done section. They can improve gamification a lot to keep people more engaged. Procrastination counter can be a great help for procrastinators like me to know how many times I have rescheduled a task.

Angela
Angela
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 07/12/2019

Good Tool for List Makers

When our school switched from Outlook to Gmail I was extremely frustrated with the options available for tracking my to-do list and projects. I researched and tried several different options but did not find anything that met my needs as well as Todoist. My position requires I wear a number of different hats and have a number of diverse, unrelated projects in progress at the same time. I needed something to help me track the associated tasks and was looking for an electronic solution rather than going back to a paper day planner.

Pros

I can create projects for each of the different roles I play at work and at home. Each individual task can be assigned to the appropriate project. Tasks can be assigned due dates and I can view my tasks for the day or get a broader view of the next seven days. By moving up to the Premium version I also gained the ability to add comments, subgroups, and activities. Each task can be assigned a priority to help identify the tasks that are most critical. Todoist was easy to learn. I also liked being able to have a list of tasks for the day sent to my email each morning.

Cons

Comments were not available in the free version. The subgroups option was not available when I first started using it.