About Quicken

Quicken is a cloud-based solution that helps businesses manage payment collection and track property value. It allows users to save tenant contact information, rental rates/agreements, security deposits and lease terms. Key...

Browse Quicken Reviews

Roger G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 07/06/2017

USe it daily and have since the early 1990,s

Pros

Puts all your finances in one place, updates all accounts with minimal keystrokes rather than having to go to each website yourself (Saving lots of time) works like an on-screen checkbook. See your net worth accounts and liabilities in one place. Navigation is easy as a click of the mouse.

Cons

Intuit, the author, recently sold Quicken to an Investment Group. When Microsoft dropped MS Money, Quicken became the Monopoly in the market. Now the new company made some changes and icons are different, some screens have pop-up windows that don't work right, and the internet is full of complaints from long time users. Most of the glitches I found are minor, but changes were made so that everyone had to renew in-order to be able to access all your accounts online with Quicken, a strategy they may use to continually force upgrades and fees! Watch for this. This is what happens when someone sees a chance to capitalize on a monopoly!

Joseph D.

Reviewed on 14/01/2018

Good bang for the buck for basic accounting

Smaller businesses with less than 30 rentals, should be able to use this software and compensate for te deficiencies with desktop software like excel. This would be a very cost effective way of having computerized check register and reporting while minimizing software costs.

Pros

Integration with almost every bank to download transactions automatically makes me confident that we will not miss any transaction and keeps me updated on our balances on a daily basis.
Categories and Tags are very powerful and flexible tools that allow you to custom configure how you use the software and define your reporting requirements.

Cons

Other than a good transaction register (with categories & Tags) , the program lacks many needed features for managing a rental business. The rental aspect is almost non-existaent.

Tamara B.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 13/02/2018

Its all about the profits now......

Although I am sounding as though I am resistant to forwarding technology, I am not. There are just certain things that I feel should be more protected and so far, technology has failed to prevent hackers and identity thieves from accessing peoples information due to companies insistence in having our information all over the internet and web. There was nothing wrong with the old QUICKEN but greed is no playing a part in the new QUICKEN that separated from INTUIT.

Pros

I loved it when it was an actual software that could be purchased and had no yearly subscription fee. Prior to them separating from Intuit, this was my software of choice. Ease of use and the ability to choose to have your information inaccessible to internet hackers and not out there for anyone to see.

Cons

2007 saw the end of exceptional quality. Went from a software that you can purchase and utilize without having to pay a yearly subscription to a for profit only software with yearly subscription in 2017-2018 update. Now if you want to use this software you have to pay for it yearly. 2007 utilized an update that caused major issues with previous versions. The font became too large to fit in the windows that popped up, the reconciliation failed to work properly, did not give accurate numbers.(Quicken blamed this on the PC Operating system....Funny, no other software on my PC had these issues). They refused to fix the issues they created and then came out with a new update that once you applied the update, 2017-2018, you had to start paying yearly or live with the issues that were created by the previous update. I now have fuzzy font, like old school DOS systems, and a yearly subscription for more bells and whistles that I will ever utilize. Not everyone wants to use mobile access and expose themselves to more and more risk of hackers to steal information.

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Subscrption Only - Goodbuy Quicken

Basic checkbook maintenance is good. All the "whistles and bells" added are not worth the cost.

Pros

Cons

Used Quicken for 20 years for only Checkbook management - latest versions REQUIRES an annual payment for services not used. Per Quicken Support - while the software is usable without renewing, you cannot remove the full side banner (top to bottom screen) and banner on the top that insists you renew, renew, renew. This is so irritating I switched software. If you are looking for a simple tool to just manage your checkbook QUICKEN is NOT it.

Claudia P.

Reviewed on 17/02/2018

Great for tracking your financial status, but needs improvement

Pros

I've been using Quicken since 1988, so I'm very familiar with it. You can easily track checking, credit card and savings accounts. Quicken partners with thousands of banks and financial institutions so you can download your activity rather than having to manually enter it. It makes balancing your checkbook a breeze! It is rare for it to not reconcile correctly, and when that happens, it is invariably a mistake I made. You can also use it to track investments, create budgets, run reports. I use the Home and Business version which lets me track business activity separately from personal activity. I keep track of my rental property, which makes it very easy to file a schedule C come tax time. It's been an invaluable tool for me over the years and has helped me meet my financial goals.

Cons

In the last several years, the quality of the software was an issue. Lots of annoying bugs and crashes. Fortunately the company is addressing these issues.

Jena H.

Reviewed on 31/10/2018

Overall good, but has room for improvements

Check if the software works with your financial institutions prior to purchase.

Pros

It's a very lean and simple tool to use for most business structures capable of handling transactions of all types and frequency.

Cons

When I purchased this software a year ago, I was excited to use it because of its promise that the software works with most financial institutions. The hint here is "most". Unfortunately, the software doesn't support Capital one products and I am unable to load my transactions, I have to key them in manually. I am surprised that it doesn't support Capital One as it's a global financial institution.

The biggest challenge that this software isn't based on subscription, and incurs frequent updates, some of them caused glitches and I had to spend hours on the phone with a service team.

Ed B.

Reviewed on 07/06/2017

Best product to track finances, investments and business income/expenses, but..

Pros

Quicken Rental Property Manager is, in my opinion, the best product to track finances, investments and business income/expenses all in one spot and on your desktop versus having that information only on the internet.

Cons

Not the best solution or the easiest to use solution for tracking rental properties. Additionally, the new releases of the product often contain very little in improvements over the prior year. However, what I like least is that the software is often released when it still appears to be in beta testing. A lot of software bugs and often unusable until the software patches are released over a period of months.

Brian S.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

Much better than balancing checkbooks

One of my essential apps

Pros

I love this software pulling in transactions from my banking and credit accounts online. Each time a transaction is entered into the register I categorize it and add notes. It makes it so easy to go back and search for specific transactions and run reports. I can;t tell you how much time and hassle this software saves me. Besides that, I never have to manually balance a checkbook again!

Cons

I hate the upgrade offer popups that seem to appear about once a week. Oh, also the mobile version of the app doesn't work well for me.

Rowanne R.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 15/08/2017

Screenshot of all your finances on one page.

Great for getting your finances in order and starting to see big picture where you and your money is. Still has some work to do with compatibility with banks as well as features.

Pros

What I like most about this product is the screenshot you get of all your accounts. Being able to see every account in one place really allows you to better control your finances and budget. I am in the application frequently updating downloads and seeing how my money and accounts move. I also really enjoy the breakdown of categories because I can go back and see just how much I spent on Rent, Groceries, Shopping, etc. per month, per year, etc. It's really nice.

Cons

What I have become quite frustrated with is the logging in and my intuit ID. Anytime the systems logs me out, for some reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my normal page, it creates a new page and new file for me. It's very nerve racking and it has been occurring more frequently. Also, I do feel the budget section of the application could use some work. I really liked it in the beginning, but now it is slightly a pain to use and have not used it since.

Jen P.

Reviewed on 13/02/2017

Great for general accounting...

We have 65+ rental properties. I had waited to enter them into the rental property part until I worked out the kinks of the accounting part. I had issues with bank connectivity and then mobile sync was not working properly. After I got that fixed, I decided that in January I would start entering in my tenant's info. Here are my problems:
1. Most of our houses are section 8 which means 2 checks and NO, you can not just have 1 housing payment that you split into your houses and have those apply to your tenants. you HAVE TO MAKE A SEPARATE TENANT for EACH house labeled section 8 (or what ever) and house number or something to uniquely identify it. PAINFUL!!!!!!!
2. Lets say you have an invoice from Vendor A and they have invoiced you for 3 properties. You have to put the invoice on the tenant side (each invoice to each house) then when you go to pay Vendor A- it prints multiple checks. Not just one check or an option to pay several invoices for vendor A. THAT IS CRAZY!!! (For me it was going to print 10 checks to the same vendor. I then went to the banking side and made a check, tagging each property which then printed one check but the system did not enter the charges into the tenants side. So you need to do double entry. WHO HAS TIME FOR THAT?
I called customer service-super nice but spent SEVERAL hours trying to get it figured out. They ended up saying how terrible it was.
3. There are no useful reports.
Bottom Line:
I ended up going with a property management software. I interviewed Builidium, Appfolio, and a few others. Expensive but hopefully it will help me out in the long run. Anything is better than this.

Pros

easy to change the payee/category/tag

Cons

see above

John R.

Reviewed on 15/06/2017

2017 edition is not much to write home about

For some reason I have transactions "disappear " out of my checking account, very frustrating.

Pros

nothing in particular, I like the loan calculator. I also like that Quicken has a app I can use on my phone.

Cons

Very hard to get credit cards and bank account to automatically down load, I would like to set up automatic payments for my checking account, but only want them to show up in my checking account when they are due.

Larry K.
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Reviewed on 08/08/2017

Best low-cost manager solution

Didn't like the forced upgrade to the latest version - some features were disabled on the old version until it was upgraded.

Pros

The price is right. Automatic download from banks is very useful. Automatic backups good for security.

Cons

Some features are somewhat awkward to use. The menus can be confusing. Naming, saving of various files is not intuitive.

Linda B.

Reviewed on 02/05/2017

Have used for many years and with every upgrade keeps getting more bugs

Works well for personal finances - checking, savings, credit cards

Pros

Easy to learn, set up account. Can also use the software for my other businesses and personal stuff. Lots of ways to run reports that are useful. Nice to be able to download transactions from my bank and credit card accounts.

Cons

End of year tax schedules have bugs, Income reminders for rent payments do not show up correctly, Support is through a forum and they mainly tell you to run a file validation and that's it, Option to "Link a bill reminder to an online account" has never worked, New Zillow feature to asses value of property does not work. The only way I got good support was to pay another dollar for premium support and spent hours on the phone with a tech as he had me restore old backups trying to find a file that didn't cause the error... We never did find one that didn't cause the error. I am limping along with how it is working and currently looking for other software for my rental properties.

Cassandra H.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 16/08/2020

Quicken Highly Reccommend

Pros

Quicken is very user friendly and meets my financial bookkeeping very easy and helpful.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons with the Quicken Software.

Tina A.

Reviewed on 12/06/2018

100% UNRELIABLE - prepare for lost data and hours of rework

if you are considering purchasing this software, run like the wind

Pros

I like that I can create different accounts and it's somewhat easy to do searches and run reports for my rental expenses. I was happy with the software for about the 1st month I had it.

Cons

This is hands down, the most buggy software I've ever used. I use the mobile app to input receipts and then I sync with the desktop.. only I find myself on the phone with Quicken support almost every single time I use it because it won't sync to the cloud properly. Sometimes I get errors, other times, not all the receipts transfer over and they often have to reset my cloud which deletes hours worth of work i've put in. What's the best thing EVER??? Trying to find what data was deleted and starting all over again... yeah, my worst freakin fear. This software is EXACTLY my worst fear. completly 100% unreliable. I would go to a competitor in an instant if I could find an alternative and I look all the time. Maybe Neatworks.

Myrna S.
  • Industry: Executive Office

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Glad I am retired and don't have to use Quicken

None

Pros

Easy to use unless you have a problem. They do not help at all

Cons

When Quicken has made the mistake they still make you do all the work

Ronald Y.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 04/10/2018

Quicken for personal use

Highly recommended for everyone to use for tracking their personal finances. You can check your net worth growth annually. Check and to help keep track of your investments. Prices of stocks and values update automatically. Annually you can update the value of other investments.

Pros

Easy to set up. Simple to check your net worth, investments, loan balances, check accounts, etc. I have used Quicken for personal tracking of investments for 40 years. I have recommended Quicken deluxe to my son and nephews for tracking their investments & annual net worth growth. Some investments update automatically (stocks).

Cons

Sometimes too time consuming if used for personal checking accounts if several checks are written. I enter my checks in bulk at month end to make it easier and less time is required. New updates for Quicken are available every year. I usually do not update every year.

Timothy N.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 07/06/2020

Quicken - A lifesaver

Wish it were a bit cheaper overall but very much worth the investment nonetheless.

Pros

I tend to accumulate financial accounts and Quicken is a lifesaver for helping me keep everything organized - not missing payments, tracking spending and income trends, etc. The latest updates do a better job of downloading data consistently from my accounts.

Cons

I wish they had not gone to a subscription model - the yearly renewal process is more cumbersome and expensive.

James T.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 23/09/2018

Quicken - introduction to life accounting

Perfect introductory software that should be taught at the high school level.

Pros

The product completes the need for household activity tracking. A favorable outcome from the utilization is the expanded awareness the user gains as relating to a source and use of funds.

Cons

The con is not related to what quicken offers, but to the next step in household activity tracking, which would be to start performing formal accounting with another software. Quicken does what it has committed to.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 18/05/2018

Great, simple, easy to use accounting package allowing me to easily do end of year taxes

Memorizes transactions
Easily download transactions from banks and credit card companies
Easy to print end of year report for doing taxes
Easy to customize reports
Easy to "FIND" transactions
Great way to reconcile monthly credit card and bank statements

Cons

They changed their pricing, so now you have to pay for an annual subscription, but still worth it!
Connecting with credit card banks could be a little simpler.

Geri P.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Great product- great price

I would recommend this software and have to my friends with rental homes.

Pros

I use this product for the ability to prepare my taxes. The price is worth not having to take them to an accountant to prepare. Everything populates where it needs to go in Turbo Tax and walks you right through everything without a worry. I dont use all of the features it has - but may in the future

Cons

Ive had to purchase this software twice after my computer failed. It was not compatible with my new laptop.

Bob L.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 17/01/2018

Easiest Finance Program

Been using for several years.

Pros

Easy to use and update. It has been a life-saver for many years and makes it easy for tax purposes and bookkeeping.

Cons

Perhaps the only con I have is the need to update yearly and the cost of the update. Seems updates should be free and perhaps major changes might be a increase in cost. Updating annually is required to stay up to date. Miss a few updates and you run the risk of it not being able to update.

Linda B.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 12/09/2017

I have used this program since it came out. Now, today, it is a mess. My software is locked...

Pros

Before now, I would say I like everything about it. I could always count on it to perform as it should and it was updated in a responsible way. this time, I checked to allow upgrade and everything went haywire. And, right at a time when I counted on it to perform as it always had.

Cons

It is no longer reliable. Was I in shock when I opened Quicken to find out that it had been down-graded in stead of upgraded. I had to work 15 hours to get figures re-entered for a report due this evening. As I said it is no longer reliable. I called a contact listed on computer for Quicken repair. Needless to say, I did not have it done!

• Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 28/05/2020

Keep it simple or be better

I am not a fan of the new set up of the software. I am not looking to track my personal expenses with my apartment building expenses. I just want Quicken for property management with no added bells and whistles.

Pros

When I started using this software about 15 years ago it was like a glorified spreadsheet and it was amazing! Then they wanted to start adding bells and whistles and it did not work as well.

Cons

I stopped using it for a few years bouncing around to look for something better for the price and now I am back and have yet to find a good alternative.

Michael R.

Reviewed on 20/04/2021

For Your Finances, I Highly Suggest Quicken

Pros

I love how easy it is to usse and manage my finances. I thought it was going to take time to figure out, But it is straight forward and simple to understand.

Cons

What i dislike is there are times i have to refresh and reinput my entries.