Quicken Reviews

About Quicken

Quicken is an accounting solution for rental properties that comes with rent payment tools, which allow enterprises to track outstanding payments and send rent receipts to tenants. Additionally, its planning module lets users...

3.7
3.4

Browse Quicken Reviews

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 03/03/2021

stay up to date quickly with quicken

We first started using this back in 2003. we have used the different versions over time as they upgrade. It is great because our account is well versed in the program, and therefore it saves us time and money to do the year-end reports.

Pros

This program is very versatile. Our account appreciates the account version that we can send him to do our year ends or PPP. It saves from manually recording checks into the register, allows us to split receipts, and split how we pay. the program is easy to use, and our bookkeeper can find online help or customer service help quickly and accurately. This is a program that is worth the money, and you won't switch because the years build off of each other.

Cons

It takes a little time to understand how it works. You need to really pay attention to how you set your program up and enter the data to distinguish between vendors, clients, etc., overall a solid program accepted in the industry.

Kelli

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Easier to learn that Quickbooks but not as many features

Works really well for keeping track of spending across multiple accounts and offers simple solutions for designating expenses.

Pros

I was able to easily import out multiple business accounts into Quicken, something I was not able to do with Quickbooks. Updating accounts is quick and easy too. I like the simple flagging option that allows me to mark a transaction for later investigation.

Cons

Will not generate a simple profit and loss statement based on accounts. I understand Quicken is meant more for personal, than business use, but it would still be a nice feature to have.

Mike

Reviewed on 08/03/2018

Is there anything out there other than Quicken?????

If I could give less than 1 star I would! I have been a huge supporter of Quicken in the past. I encouraged my kids and clients and anyone that would listen to use Quicken. Sorry!
I have now gone to using my online banking bill pay through my bank which is free!

Pros

This used to be a great product! I have used it since 1993 to track my business finances and investments. It really helps at tax time.

Cons

Support is worse than non-existent. It is March 8th and I have been trying to get support since the first week in January. I was on the phone with a rep for 2 hours trying to get bill pay to work. I was told to hang on I need to ask my manager about that and then hung up on. I tried chatting and was told that you cannot use chat for online bill pay. Called the support number and was told that there is a special number for online bill pay. I called that number and was told by the rep that I needed to go to quickenbillpay.com but he would stay on the line and would call me back if I got disconnected. That was a week ago. Still havent gotten at call. Went through the insutructions on the quickenbillpay.com website to set up a new account and it indicated it would take 2 -3 days to set up an account and I would receive 2 transactions on my bank statement from them. Check my statement and then come back and enter those figures to confirm I own the account. That was 6 days ago and still no transactions. Yesterday I received an email that I must send in 1. My drivers License. 2. My Social Security Card. 3. my most recent utility bill from water, gas, or electric company only. 4. A voided check from each account I want to use.
Sounds like an internet scam to me. I called quicken and explained I wasn't comfortable sending all of this over the internet and by the way I have been paying for your services for 25 years and now you want all of this info. Their response is quicken was sold and that they are a new company and they have to have the info or no bill pay services! No wonder they bill pay services are now included in the Premier package. No one can use it! The bad part is I have all of my payments for cars, houses, utilities, credit cards set up for auto pay using quicken bill pay. Now I have to find another way to get them paid because it has taken 2 months and I still am not set up for bill pay. By the way they don't tell you this is what happens when you download Quicken 2018. Beware!

Top Quicken Alternatives

• Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 05/08/2023

Why can't we sync between computers?

You can't sync

Pros

Quicken is easy to use and updating from a previous version went well.

Cons

It drives me crazy that you can't sync information between computers. I'm no expert, but I can't see why you can't have information from the Quicken cloud update information on the computer.I use Quicken at work and at home. If I could just sync information that I added at home to my work computer and vice versa, it would be perfect.I don't know why this feature can't be added.

Joseph
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 13/09/2023

Can get it done

Generally, a well-maintained piece of software, though from time to time features break and sometimes it takes a while for the bugs to get addressed.

Pros

Quicken is better suited for personal use, but we have been using it for our company for over a decade and it does what we need.

Cons

Payroll options are expensive, and not all the options are available.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Less expensive
Aryana
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

quicken is inexpensive but has errors

I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available. There was a lot of trouble importing transactions which is why I stopped using it. It wouldn't import automatically and I had to download from the bank and Paypal and then upload.

PAUL
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 27/10/2023

Using Quicken Since Its Inception

I have been using Quicken since it was running on MS-DOS - a long time. This software has always met my financial record keeping needs.

Pros

Relatively easy to set up accounts, enter data and create reports

Cons

Would like to be able to make a direct connection to my bank for bill paying - i.e. Enter a bill payment into Quicken and have Quicken directly tell my bank to initiate a payment to a vendor without having to go to my bank's web site to enter and initiate a payment.

Nina
Nina

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

Quicken Rental Property Manager works some of the time

I've been using this program for over 10 years and while it it not perfect it is better than nothing. I would like the rental part to be easier and more reliable to use. I like that you can integrate Zillow estimates and values to properties.

Pros

I liked that it integrates all my accounts and I can track rentals, home and business at the same time. Reports are fairly accurate and are very useful for accounting and tracking purposes.

Cons

Has bugs that I cannot figure out. Sometimes the transfers don't ever show up and the accounts get messed up. Hard to track rents in the format that is available. I can't figure out how to enter and keep all reconciled the way they want you to do it.

Ricky
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 20/11/2023

Powerful accounting software

Pros

It is a powerful accounting tool that can provide a visual overview of different accounts.

Cons

We need to reconcile frequently; otherwise, we will make mistakes easily.

Mahlon
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 18/10/2023

This is a great software for basic accounting

We use this for accounting for our small private school. It works well but in this situation since we don't make invoices and need the features that Quickbooks offers.

Pros

It is a very basic easy to use software.

Cons

It works great for basic use but lacks many features of Quickbooks if you need them

Reviewed on 11/08/2018

Lack of availability for Mac

I cannot say more than I already have. I’ve had to save information on my Mac and then pick it up on my PC just to send an invoice. This is inconvenient. It takes time that could be better off spend doing other things. Please, Quicken, bring Home and Business to Mac. Also, allow the ability to edit previous entries. I’ve noticed issues in the past that could have been easily fixed with an edit button, but you cannot. This should be fixed. As the leader in accounting software, it should have more features available than it does.

Pros

Quicken seems to be the go-to accounting software in the industry, so naturally we went with it. We were very happy with Quicken, as it is easy to teach to our new employees. I also really like the seamlessness of the program between a Mac and a PC. My laptop is a Mac while my home computer is a PC, and I find that the program itself is very similar on both platforms, and thus very easy to use. However, we initially intended to purchase Quicken for Home and Business, but it is not available for Mac, so we had to take a step back and purchase Quicken Premier. This was more than slightly annoying, but we managed to make it work.

Cons

The lack of availability of Home and Business for Mac is a big con for me. The Home and Business program allows for custom invoices, which would look really good for our small business. We also wanted the ability to track our profit and loss, so we purchased it for my home computer. We can still send out the custom invoices on our PCs, but it would be a lot easier if it were available for Mac. Hopefully, there will be an option to purchase Home and Business in the future for Mac.

Patrick
  • Industry: Nanotechnology

Reviewed on 22/12/2021

Buyers Beware of Bullying (Extortion?) Tactics After You Buy

Very unfriendly customer support personnel who don't want to help problem solve

Pros

The software failed in its functionality on several fronts

Cons

After the product failed to download my transactions properly from my broker, I chose not to renew my subscription. Shortly before the expiration date of my subscription, two huge "reminder banners" appeared on my screen blocking nearly a quarter of the computer screen. Neither banner contained a "dismiss" or "X-out" button, only a button saying "RENEW". Because the banners block the screen, several more keystrokes are required during every transaction to complete them. When the banners failed to disappear, I called to ask how to remove them. After talking to two supervisors, [SENSITIVE CONTENT] , both were abrupt and unhelpful, stating there was no way to remove the banners without paying the subscription price. I was told that the original subscription agreement warned of some "loss of functionality" upon non-renewal, but there is nothing more specific mentioned to give potential buyers an idea of Intuit's penalty tactics if you choose not to renew the subscription because of product failures. Let this review serve as a warning that once you subscribe, you are locked in for life. Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware!

Tim

Reviewed on 07/12/2018

Potential as a great product that suffers from poor quality

Quicken for Business has no real peers on the market. There are certainly much better SMB accounting packages, there are better investment packages and better rental property packages, but Quicken appears to be the only one that consolidates all these functions into one. This used to be a quality package with minor bugs. Since being spun off, the management has successfully converted this from a typical "license and download" software to an annual subscription service, meaning you have to continually pay to be able to use the software. They also appear to have changed something in the QA process, as it has become more common for updates to fix one thing and break two more. Still, the basis is there for this to be a great product if they can ever solve the bad development issues.

Pros

For a small business or and individual with rental properties, this product has a full set of features that, if working properly, could really help. Interface is easy to use. Most banking and investment services can be accessed to easily download and reconcile accounts.

Cons

Very, very buggy. Some features just seem to automatically cause the system to crash. It seems way too often that the data file becomes corrupted. Recently changed to a subscription model, so you can't really keep a stable release.

Greg

Reviewed on 09/02/2019

Online BillPay is not functional

If they resolve the BillPay problem, or if you confirm your bank will accept payment from Quicken through their DirectConnect feature, then the subscription/2019 version should be similar or slightly better than earlier versions. If you need BillPay, DO NOT UPGRADE Quicken until you can confirm they have patched their software to correct this apparent bug.

Pros

Subscription/2019 version is similar to older versions.
Tracks funds easily. Intuitive money management.
Allows download/sync with checking, savings, credit card, and investment accounts.
Subscription model is expensive, but will be offset by no longer having to pay monthly charges for BillPay.

Cons

Requires "upgrade" to 2019 version.
Requires deletion of old BillPay account and manual re-entry of all payee and account info during upgrade.
As of 2/9/19 BillPay is not functional. Have been waiting since 1/6/19 for account activation, so can still not pay bills through quicken using the subscription version I am paying for. Many other customers with same complaint. Support says still trying to resolve similar tickets from customers from December 2018.

MARK
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

Great financial tool! I would be lost without it!

I love this tool and use it daily to track all of my finances. i would be lost without it!

Pros

I love how quicken puts all of your financial companies all in one view. The biggest reason i switched from Yodlee was the fact you could add recurring future dated transactions. Many financial tracking tools do not have this. This was a make or break feature for me, as I like to see exactly how much money i will have in the bank in 30,60, 90 etc.. days in the future. Quicken does this, and does it wonderfully!

Cons

The only con I can think of is there are too many features. I am by no means a power user, and just use the basic transaction features. I do not use any of the budgeting tools or other such things, but I am sure they are very useful to others. It would be nice to see a simple mode that turned off many of those features if you are not using them

• Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 28/03/2019

A Product Whose Time Has Passed

Pros

Quicken for more than a decade has been "the" standard for personal financial management and I used it for many years to track my families spending habits, transactions, retirement and more. It's "the" gold standard for anyone looking to track their financial health.

Cons

Multiple online products, including Mint which is also owned by Intuit that makes Quicken, covers 90% of the features/functions that you would normally run on your computer. For those that don't want to trust their information to such web/cloud services then Quicken still remains a viable option. However, in recent years Quicken has begun to scale back on services like Bill Pay as banks and other online services take over. I don't think Quicken is going away any time soon, but it's very clear that it's time has passed and it's only a matter of time until Intuit makes the decision to retire the software.

Doug

Reviewed on 04/08/2020

have to hold your nose to deal with thieving Intuit (maker of quicken)

it sucks; see the cons.

Pros

works most of the time but not always as upgrades have frequently broke my configured reports

Cons

they changed to a subscription service a couple years ago and force you to pay every year when I (and millions of other users) were perfectly content with the software that we already paid them for. While I hated that they were extorting a fee from me I almost got taken by them again when I went to downgrade my service to the lowest level. Their order form online starts the subscription the day you do the downgrade rather than starting it after my existing, already paid, subscription ends (which results in them stealing another month of fees from me). I hate them but as my title suggests; I put up with them because there is no other product that does what it does as well.

Randy

Reviewed on 22/07/2021

Quicken is Best Desktop based Home financial software

I have used Quicken for portfolio and asset management for over 20 years. The software has improved with new technology and returns excellent value.

Pros

Its able to link to and download complicated financial transactions, maintain their values, shares owned from most major institutions. It links to your accounts with most major bank and credit card companies. It also allows non-online assets ans liabilities to be tracked.

Their reporting shows net worth statements, cash flow statement and other reports suitable to track a large and complex portfolio of assets.

Cons

Links to some institutions can be damaged due to changing security needs. Their support in improving those links is excellent.

Joseph

Reviewed on 14/01/2018

Good bang for the buck for basic accounting

Smaller businesses with less than 30 rentals, should be able to use this software and compensate for te deficiencies with desktop software like excel. This would be a very cost effective way of having computerized check register and reporting while minimizing software costs.

Pros

Integration with almost every bank to download transactions automatically makes me confident that we will not miss any transaction and keeps me updated on our balances on a daily basis.
Categories and Tags are very powerful and flexible tools that allow you to custom configure how you use the software and define your reporting requirements.

Cons

Other than a good transaction register (with categories & Tags) , the program lacks many needed features for managing a rental business. The rental aspect is almost non-existaent.

Donna

Reviewed on 29/09/2022

Quicken is Easy

Print checks, reconciling bank accounts

Pros

Very easy to use and train new employees on its use.

Cons

All the different upgrades and customer support.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Did not need software that detailed
Jason

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

Mostly good/ some annoyances

Pros

Links your bank account.
Does recurring invoices
Can file your taxes
Payroll
Can set up automatic payment for customers.

Cons

Can link two recurring invoices for a customer. Ex. The regular monthly invoice then when the semi annual invoice needs to be billed it doesn’t link so I have to print two invoices. Also, when I print all the invoices it doesn’t print each person’s invoice right after the other. So I end up searching for that second invoice. It’s a mess. It sounds so confusing to read what I wrote. But basically sometimes I end up sending two separate envelopes on the same month for one customer because when it needs to be printed it doesn’t organize then invoices per customer.

Tim

Reviewed on 31/12/2017

Quicken 2018 release is the worst software ever!

Someone had best get control of the QA of the software. I would really hate to see this product die after all these years.

Pros

It used to be easy to use and very helpful. It can track your personal bills as well as track rental expenses.

Cons

Extremely buggy. Features that used to work are broken or just removed entirely. There used to be a cool interface showing what bills were coming up - that's been removed and replaced with a simple list. Linking to bill accounts just blows up the whole program and it crashes. Some of the totals don't appear to update when you make changes. All of this, and they've changed to a subscription model, so you can still pay full price, but just receive a year's worth of buggy mess.

Aaron
Aaron
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 26/11/2022

Unable to purchase in Canada - Postal Code issue

Pros

Customer service was prompt and really tried to help me with my purchasing issue.

Cons

It is impossible to purchase this product in Canada. I spent well over an hour (~50min with customer service - both through chat and a personal phone call) trying to purchase. Every solution lead me back to the issue that when I tried to submit my order, the purchasing page forced me to enter a zip code, with no option for a postal code. I created an account with my Canadian address, downloaded the software, cleared my cache and cookies, restarted my computer, worked with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] from customer support to approach the purchasing page from various links and browsers, nothing would allow me to purchase the software. If Quicken can't get something as simple as postal code v/s zip code correct when a new customer is trying to purchase, how can I trust them with my banking information?

Dennis
  • Industry: Executive Office

Reviewed on 21/02/2022

20+ year user, now totally dissatisfied

Quicken just doesn't care about good customer service. It is now unusable, so I didn't renew my subscription. It's better to just do things manually than use software that doesn't work. I have gotten zero value out of it since November 2021.

Pros

updates of financial companies data (banks, credit card, Investing).

Cons

It now doesn't work with Schwab to download investing data. On or about 11/19/2021 when Schwab introduced an enhanced security process, which Quicken was totally unprepared for, Quicken just doesn't function with Schwab updates. I've spent 50 hours trying to get it to work and been on the phone 3 times (total of 6 hours) to no avail.

Nancy
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 19/04/2018

Using Quicken for different scenarios

I use Quicken for two very different entities: 1) a small nonprofit support organization and 2) our former small business and our personal accounting needs. It works well for both these.

Pros

The ease in entering data, and the ability to produce reports that are useful. It is not necessary to use ALL the features offered by Quicken software. One can pick and choose what is useful for their needs.

Cons

I have not found flaws in this software. I have not yet found an easy way to convert reports into pdf format in order to provide to others who cannot access Quicken reports. I am certain there is a way to do this, I just have not taken the time to work through the process.