Harvest Reviews

Visit Website

About Harvest

Harvest is a cloud-based time tracking tool designed for businesses of all sizes. The solution provides timesheet and invoicing features for small businesses and freelancers. Key features include time and expense management, team...

4.2

Browse Harvest Reviews

Shannon
Shannon

Reviewed on 15/10/2021

Truly Simple and Intuitive to Use Effectively

From day one it was intuitive and easy to use. It's a time tracking tool, so it really doesn't need to be complicated. The creators have managed to perfectly combine functionality and a straightforward interface with enough features to also make it versatile for various types of businesses and projects.

Pros

This software is part of my everyday use, and it just works 100% of the time. When you are managing various clients and tasks, the interface makes it dead simple to task-switch and start logging hours in a different or for a different client. And when it's time to assess how many hours are left to spend on a client, the analytics reporting is easy to understand and offers several great ways to manipulate the data.

Cons

There are features I don't use—mainly the expenses feature—so I cannot speak to how that works. Everything else, however, just works.

Jessica
Jessica

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Harvest tracks project hours assigned and used

Daily and weekly resource allocation may be made much easier with the use of forecasting. Easy to use and easy to maintain. A daily or weekly timetable is available to everyone working on the project. Simple to use and simple to keep up to date.

Pros

It's simple to keep track of harvest time. Multiple projects and tasks can be created and assigned to various members of your team. It is possible to keep track of the time spent by each individual and compare it to the total number of hours allotted for the project.

Cons

An outdated and unfriendly user interface. That would be a great and eye-catching interface to view, in my opinion. As a result, it would be the same as receiving a service or conducting research!

Reviewed on 11/01/2018

I don't admin Harvest. I only enter time into Harvest. I don't like Harvest.

I personally get no benefits from this software. I'm not a fan.

Pros

So overall I'm not a fan. That said, documenting expenses is the best I've ever seen in Harvest. It's really well done and simple. Nice and clean, get your photos, get your monies and go. Big fan.

That is where my love affair ends with this app.

From an administrative point, maybe there are incredible advantages over other offerings. The world may have never experienced such a revolutionary piece of software and I, in turn, am a simpleton; stuck in a world of misunderstanding.

Cons

If you write a app which tracks hourly time and tries to put it into buckets for easy expensing, the time-tracking app should be simple for the multitude of non-admin users. Simply put, it's cumbersome and annoying.... and I say that because someone is going to take stronger language less seriously.

Forget the fact that you have to enter in time _Daily_. When I say daily, I don't mean that you click on the day, you do the thing and save. I mean that it shows you one day per page at a time. No calendar to quickly go through a week, no monthly review where you can quickly fill in gaps. One page == one day. You can bring stuff over from the last-entered day, but the hours aren't filled in... just the buckets. This leads to an incredibly slow, painful, and frankly uninteresting experience. For a bunch of users who want to do their job instead of fiddling around with tracking how long they've done their job, asking them to use Harvest is basically asking them to make none of their time billable unless threatened with homelessness. It's incredibly painful to use.

To be sure, I'm not a fan of time-tracking apps anyway. I akin them to asking your employees to lie to you and giving them a form in which to do it... but Harvest makes the fun of lying to your employer the low-light of your day. It's not fair.

Top Harvest Alternatives

• Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 15/03/2024

Time Tracking with Harvester

Great, i think has some comprehensive feature and makes everything in one place when is regard to time-tracking.

Pros

When working with multiple projects and clients, time-tracking can be a must and for me is crucial. What i like most is eas of use because is user friendly and integration options with mobile access.

Cons

Nothing yet, but would be greate to have a desktop app.

Reviewed on 24/08/2023

It simplifies time tracking and is easy to use

It eliminates the complexity and difficulty of keeping track of time and is very easy to use. We can see how much time is being spent on which projects and for which clients.

Pros

Harvest is a convenient tool for keeping tabs on time and money spent on various projects and clients. We use it to monitor expenditures in real time and to plan for future initiatives by analyzing past work and resources.

Cons

There have been no problems where I have been unable to complete a task. There aren't any serious issues, however, the platform might need some further functionality since it's so basic.

Randi
Randi
  • Industry: Executive Office

Reviewed on 19/10/2023

I've been using Harvest since 2015!

It does a great job of tracking time and it so simple to use. I use the reports aspect weekly to send time reports to my clients to keep them informed on time spent. My time reports are done quickly thanks to their detailed reporting.

Pros

I love how easy Harvest is to use and set up for your business. It's simple to create projects as they have enough detail. It's simple to switch tasks while time tracking.

Cons

I did not like the limit on profiles for the free version. I guess I see the why but if you have an established business, you can't just try it out with a full client list.

Clockify

I preferred the UI with Harvest over Clockify
Melanie

Reviewed on 15/11/2023

Ease of Use is second to none!

We've had an excellent time implementing and training staff with Harvest. It's exporting to our Quickbooks is excellent, and I'd recommend it to any small business as the cost is totally worth it.

Pros

We were able to implement Harvest within an hour and train all staff within another hour. The ease of use is excellent, and reoccurring invoicing has been super helpful.

Cons

We've had a few issues with numbered invoices going from 100 to 400 (example) and support wasn't the easiest to work with.

Bart
Bart
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

Invoicing made easy

We started using Harvest years ago with my previous company and it was our go-to solution with our new company. No questions asked. It just works and that is why I would recommend it to everyone looking for a simple solution.

Pros

It just works. Creating an offer, turning it into an invoice, setting everything up... it just works easy. In contrast with many software you can use for invoicing, Harvest doesn't try to do it all, it just keeps things simple. Probably too simple at times, but I never ran into any issues as we have straightforward product & services lines to add to our invoices.

Cons

The fact that the time tracking is included and cannot be ignored as easily as the optional planning tool (that they sell separately) was a small frustration at first. Afterwards, I just tended to directly surf to the Invoices overview and avoid the timetracking part all together.

For some it is probably thé selling feature as time tracking looks very easy, but our company doens't keep track of detailed time tracking so we never used that part thoroughly.

Teamleader

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

We tested teamleader, but it was too featureful. Interesting as it could have been, we didn't want to switch our complete workflow to match that of Teamleader so we continued looking for a tool that was good at invoicing. Period. Harvest was that tool.
Amanda
Amanda

Reviewed on 20/01/2023

Harvest is a great option to consider!

It would be considered a runner-up to utilizing Clockify, I love the visual aspects and ease of use.

Pros

I think what I liked most was how the team lead was able to oversee my time tracking so that when it came time to report my hours I didn't have to be part of that process which I believe supported productivity.

Cons

The platform seemed to glitch a bit, where time wouldn't start or stop tracking or would duplicate.

QuickBooks Time, Clockify and Toggl Track

Reasons for Choosing Harvest

I made the switch because of a client wanted to switch, but I also didn't like the integration abilities or visuals of Toggl.

Toggl Track

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

My client actually chose it because she subcontracted over 50 freelancers and it was what functioned best for her needs.
Jonathan
Jonathan

Reviewed on 17/07/2019

Harvest is an Essential Tool for Creative Freelancers

I've tried numerous other invoicing tools but none compare to the stability, quality, and reliability of Harvest. For the money you just can't beat it.

Pros

Harvest makes it super easy to track time and expenses, invoice clients, and collect payments via Stripe or ACH.

Cons

Because it is such a stable piece of software, they are very slow to add new features, and certain areas of the user interface feel dated. That being said, it is rock solid, fast, and extremely reliable.

FreshBooks, Xero and Fiverr Workspace

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

Harvest is dependable and has features that out-perform the competition in just about every aspect.
Randall
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 12/03/2020

Great for time and billing; hard to integrate with accounting

Ease of timekeeping and billing has improved. Integration with the rest of my accounting system has become harder.

Pros

I started using it because I did not find the timekeeping functions of Quickbooks easy enough to use. On that point, Harvest is much better--it is excellent at keeping track of time. In addition, Harvest makes it quite easy to bill clients for time and to follow up with repeated billings if needed.

Cons

I'll mention two things. First, the method of dealing with retainers needs some serious work to be useful for lawyers. If I have an outstanding invoice and a client sends me a retainer, I cannot have payment toward the invoice taken out of the retainer without a fairly convoluted process. Second, it is hard to integrate with Quickbooks. I need Quickbooks (or I suppose, something similar) to keep track of all my financial records. But when I am using Harvest for timekeeping and billing, I wind up making many of the entries twice.

Ken

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Truly the best time tracker/invoice management solution I've ever used

I use Harvest to track hours on projects and invoice for time spent. I've also used the estimating tool with great success. I also accept online payments through Harvest and Stripe.

Pros

Number 1: great value for the money. So much capability in one product, for a very low monthly fee.
Number 2: They are constantly adding new features, but not half-baked ones. I get the impression the the product and engineering teams are very good at what they do.

Cons

Could use more customizing of expenses and taxes - I'd like to be able to add fees to invoices that are not taxes - like markups for Stripe fees.

Jenny
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 28/03/2023

Perfect Product for a Sole Propietor

I've been using Harvest for nearly 10 years now. I love that it's feature-rich without being overcomplicated. I couldn't be happier.

Pros

Harvest is affordable, but so feature rich and easy to use. I can track my time (I actually integrate with Timeular for this, but tracking directly in Harvest is easy, too.) keep track of project budgets, invoice and get paid via Strip integration, then reconcile everything when it's time to do account and taxes.

Cons

Occasionally I have trouble navigating to the information I want. Updating an invoice without updating timesheets should be easier.

Basecamp and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

The price was right and it had the primary features I needed - easy to track time by project and ability to send invoices.
Lisa

Reviewed on 12/08/2019

Clean, Simple to Use, Good Invoicing features. Features for Fixed-fee billing not the best.

We absolutely loved Harvest and could not recommend it highly enough. However, with the change to limit phone support, plus the software's limitations in working with fixed fee pricing (which our industry is moving rapidly to), we're unfortunately in the process of looking for a new time-tracking app.

Pros

1) Clean, simple, easy to use interface for daily time tracking.
2) Ability to monitor team's time real-time
3) Ability to track real-time billable Revenue
4) Invoicing features
5) inexpensive

Cons

1) No real-time phone support.
Originally, Harvest had real-time phone support, but a while back they (suddenly) changed their phone support from real-time to only scheduled appointments. We've often found that support appointments are not usually available until a while later in the same day, or often the next day, which has been difficult because there is no way to get quicker phone support if needed. Appointment blocks are limited to 15 minute, and in our experience, once 15 minutes is up, the rep will say they have to go because the appointment is over, even if the issue has not been resolved yet.
2) Unfortunately, we've found that so far, Harvest's features have not been keeping up well with the industry's transition to fixed-fee pricing. Though the did add fixed-fee features (thank you!), unfortunately, we found that they did not really work well for tracking fixed-fee projects:
- There is currently no way in Harvest to have recurring, monthly fixed-fee projects (so that you can track time/expenses against these.)
- There is currently no way in Harvest to track actual time/costs against fixed-fee project fees
- There is currently no way in Harvest to add a one-time fixed-price charge for a project (i.e. one day of Bookkeeping at $ amount.) Support told me that the only way to do this is to add these charges as expenses. However, expenses are not included in the revenue reports that we rely on to run the practice, because they are seen as expenses and not revenue.

Marek
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 26/05/2023

Harvest Review

My experience with Harvest software has been positive. The software provided robust time tracking and invoicing capabilities, which greatly aided in project management and billing processes. The intuitive interface made it easy to track time and generate accurate invoices, ensuring transparency and accountability. The seamless integration with other popular productivity tools enhanced the overall efficiency of our workflow. Although there were limitations in the reporting capabilities of lower-tier plans and occasional performance issues with the mobile app, the overall value and usability of Harvest software were commendable. It played a significant role in streamlining our time management and billing processes, contributing to improved productivity and client satisfaction.

Pros

One of the things I liked most about Harvest software was its comprehensive time tracking and invoicing features. The software provided a user-friendly interface that made it easy to log hours and track time spent on different projects. The ability to assign specific tasks and set project budgets helped in managing and allocating resources efficiently. The invoicing functionality was also impressive, allowing me to generate professional-looking invoices based on the tracked time and expenses. The integration with popular payment gateways made it convenient for clients to make payments online, streamlining the billing process.

Cons

One thing I liked least was the limited reporting capabilities in the lower-tier plans. Advanced reporting features, such as custom reports and deeper analytics, were only available in the higher-priced plans. This made it challenging to analyze project data and generate in-depth reports for detailed insights. Additionally, the mobile app had some occasional performance issues, such as syncing delays or occasional crashes. However, these issues were not frequent and did not significantly hinder the overall functionality of the software.

• Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 09/07/2020

Good for time tracking purposes

Overall I found the software very straightforward and easily navigable - was able to use it for its intended purpose, and found that it made time tracking a lot more efficient and simple.

Pros

I used Harvest mainly for time tracking purposes at a past place of employment, and found the interface to be very easy to navigate. We were easily able to integrate corresponding tasks to the specified amount of time (ours was tracked on a minute by minute basis, so 0.7, 0.22, 0.59 etc). I also found it extremely handy to be able to have a stopwatch feature to track time when there are longer tasks (such as a meeting or a project that will take several hours in one stretch).

Cons

As mentioned above, though I found the stopwatch feature to be very efficient, it's not extremely practical for any role where you're touching multiple different projects at any given time (ex. an account or project manager). For a designer, this feature would be perfect. It would be interesting to see whether the same concept COULD be applied to a project management type job. Additionally, I found that it is extremely easy to forget to actually STOP the stopwatch feature, so more often than not I found myself with a task that ran over 500 minutes long because I forgot to manually adjust the feature. It may be helpful to implement some sort of feature that has a pop-up effect after 30mins or an hour, asking the user if they're still working on the specific task (like they do with some movie streaming services).

Response from Harvest

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

I'll take note of your feature suggestions as our product team is consistently assessing how the product can improve. I definitely can see how a popup timer would be useful.

Thank you for your trust in Harvest!

Replied 15/07/2020
Brandon

Reviewed on 31/10/2023

Effective and reliable time tracking

Harvest has helped us simplify and streamline our processes while maintaining security and organization. This platform is a solid choice for any company looking for an easy to use and secure platform for time tracking.

Pros

I like its intelligent approach and the ability to track our time, expenses and billing in detail. Harvest gives us a clear view of our resources, allowing us to make informed decisions and stay in control. I also value the security it offers, with measures such as two-factor authentication and data encryption, giving us peace of mind in protecting sensitive information.

Cons

It needs to improve its ability to generate customized reports. Sometimes, we run into limitations when we want to customize reports to fit our needs exactly.

Reviewed on 13/01/2021

Harvest - perfect for time tracking on a project by project basis

Overall the experience with Harvest has been mediocre. It is a great way to track time, report hours to clients and bill appropriately. There are almost too many options making it a little difficult to first getting things set up. It is a pain to use if you have little random projects that come up frequently because they then have to be separately added to Harvest as their own job by the project manager.

Pros

Harvest is perfect for tracking time, especially on a project by project basis. It is great for marketing agencies that work under retainer and have to report time spent on specific projects. It is pretty simple to track hours and view hours tracked by teammates and be able to report directly to the client. It is an easy way for managers to track other employees. The invoice feature is great if you use it.

Cons

It almost has TOO many features. Ease of use is great for employees who are simply logging hours, but is very complex and sometimes difficult for the project managers to keep up with. It would be nice if others could add projects (and possibly have to have manager approval) and not have to be added solely by the project managers. It would also be nice to have more of a warning prior to renewing membership. In my instance, we no longer needed to utilize the software, but randomly received a charge on our credit card without prior notification that the program was up for renewal.

Mike

Reviewed on 27/04/2018

Harvest ypur time accurately and simply

We like the Orange and White - I know its petty, but in a world of grey-ed out infinitesimally small typeface UIs, Harvest is blunt and to-the-point. After all, who needs Team Members making errors with your TIME!

Pros

The most important factor is Ease of Use and Harvest shines, the second is its integration with 80 of the top of the line of today's work tools. There are tons of features - we use Forecast and find it invaluable for Team Leaders to scope out their week's work-load and delegate. Thirdly, their customer support is brilliant - no muss, no fuss. The added bonus is that adjusting time at task once the timer has been closed is easy, and did I mention they send a friendly reminder when you've left a timer running? Oh Yes - we do that sometimes too!

Cons

It's hard to think of a really thorny issue - these guys have worked everything together slowly over the years. It's a a balanced appraoch - the Forecast Add-On is slowly expanding and deepening and there will no doubt be features added that a user would like, for example more zoom in and out to break down to week and day. That is about it really - this is solid Dev-Product, not some rushed-out-to-get-Trials company.

Noelle

Reviewed on 10/11/2022

I've used Harvest for over 10 years, and I love it.

I love the user friendliness of Harvest. It integrates with a ton of other platforms, and its reporting is excellent. Plus, for an individual user, the price point is incredibly inexpensive. I think I have been paying the same monthly fee for over 10 years!

Pros

This is the most user-friendly time tracker I have ever used, and I've been using it off and on for over 10 years. It is very simple to integrate with other platforms, and it's very easy to go back and adjust if you forget to add time or turn off the tracker. Most of all, the reporting is incredibly easy to use. I can pull reports based on time frame, client, project and tasks. It's an excellent time tracker and I can't recommend it enough.

Cons

The only issue I have really had is with the Asana integration. It doesn't perfectly and seamlessly integrate with Asana tasks. When I turn on the time tracker in Asana, sometimes it pulls the wrong client. I have to pay attention to that. Thankfully, it is easy to fix, but it does seem like a glitch.

Nicole

Reviewed on 13/01/2019

Harvest Review

Harvest has made my life so much simpler and cut down on the time I spend invoicing clients immensely. It has made my graphic and web design business a lot more efficient

Pros

Prior to using Harvest, I tried several different options for time tracking and invoicing clients. All of which didn't quite fit my needs for my graphic and web design business. Harvest has been the perfect fit for me. It allows me to organize items by client and individual projects under that client. I can easily start and stop timers to track my time on projects and then quickly create invoices to bill clients. You can run reports to track how your business is doing on invoices for the month, quarter or year. You can also track expenses. It has the capability to integrate into quickbooks as well.

Cons

I can't think of anything that I don't like about this software really. If I absolutely had to name something, setting up information/logo for invoices in the very beginning was a little tricky but easily solved by reading tutorial.

Josh
Josh

Reviewed on 26/01/2021

Excellent price & functionality was exactly what I needed

My experience with harvest was exceptional. The only reason I turned it off (recently) was because I wanted an all-in-one solution and went to Quickbooks - that eliminated some cost and centralized everything. I also no longer had the need for time tracking, which was a huge value and reason for me using Harvest.

Pros

Easy to use. Very intuitive and was easy to track my time with clients & then to issue invoices. It was reliable, I never had any problems with it not working as expected. It integrated with Quickbooks nicely, which was a huge plus.

Cons

I didn't love the cost to add additional users. In general, the cost for 1 person was quite low, but it felt expensive to then add on additional users.

Zoho Expense

Reviewed on 09/01/2018

The only invoicing tool I'd consider

It made visualising our project budgets and margins dramatically easier, so we know where our time and money are going.

Pros

I've used Harvest for years and I can't imagine switching to another tool. It's by far the easiest, best tool for agencies who work on multiple projects with multiple budgets. Being able to visualise your margins and where your team is spending their time is an absolute game changer. The invoices are attractive and always send reliable. The integrated payment options are intuitive and simple.

Cons

It's a bit more expensive than other tools but if you're using its full functionality it's absolutely worth it.

I'd like to see more flexibility around budgeting and retainers. It has definitely gotten better with new support for fixed-fee budgets, but I would really like to see recurring retainers handled better. We currently create a new project every month for our clients on retainer, which works but is a little tedious.

jaimie

Reviewed on 02/02/2023

Critical agency tool for success

Pros

Harvest's integrations make this tool imperative to our agency operations and success. The Google Cal feature allows our team to seamlessly track time based on calendar meetings and blocks inputted by each user. The ability to integrate with our resourcing tool, Parallax, provides the necessary actual data we need in order to make informed business decisions on hiring and pricing.

Cons

Often one too many clicks in order to enter time sheets. Slower to pickup on patterns and automation.

Reviewed on 05/02/2021

Manage your work flow within your time

I have found it super easy to use. The data record of reminders is all safe. The pricing is handy by two methods i.e. by its free or subscription deals. I am so comfortable after using it on our phones because it just needs a few clicks plus we can also make expenses through mobile app. Overall, we found it very useful as it is easy to use for every kind of business so we will recommend it you as well. Both the client and team would be saved from extra expenses due to tracker system. We found this platform, a strengthening tool for professionals.

Pros

It is a time tracking software which was combined with Twitter to facilitate its users to track time with their tweets as well. Today it is globally used in many meetings and business by many clients for work procedures. We have found it easy to handle despite the working platform.

Cons

I found that there was lack of connection between the website and app. It was pretty difficult to constantly have a check on the app. We found this the app did not function properly for tasks assignment to the workers. Moreover it is going well and giving great performance.