About DrChrono

DrChrono’s iPad and iPhone compatible EHR and medical billing platform allows medical practices and healthcare providers to manage patient intake, patient care, clinical charting, billing and revenue cycle management. It includes...

Browse DrChrono Reviews

Norman J. Norman J.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Product is "Good", Service is "Outstanding"

Dr C is excellent for our practice, easy to customize templates and support is always fast and effective.

Pros

Easy to implement, great support, ease of use

Cons

Some of the features don't really function as well as advertised

Kareo Telehealth and Valant EHR Suite

Reasons for Switching to DrChrono

I had experience with Dr C from a previous job and chose to stick with it

Response from DrChrono

Thank you for the kind words and helpful feedback!

Replied 24/01/2020
Michael A. Michael A.

Great Foundation, Good value - Feedback is not heard

Pros

Web interface is very good, particularly with the introduction of advanced task management. Easy to track electronic communication. Appointment templates are very helpful.

App interface is great for physicians, but limited since it requires an iPad. Ideally, our Doctors could use a Surface device and have access to app interface and web interface as there are benefits to each interface.

Billing Team - staff and support is rock solid. Responsive, polite and respectful of the importance of timely A/R processing and communication. By far, the Billing Team is the best representation of what DrChrono could be.

The basic system is strong, robust and could be a truly excellent product with some relatively simple tweaks to managements attitude towards customer concerns.

Cons

DrChrono does not have empathetic listening skills for business concerns, outside of the billing staff.

Any and all criticism is dismissed and blamed on the user (see their responses to reviews here).

Simple measures that would save their customers time and money (like a Windows app) are ignored. They act like Apple is their biggest customer (no Windows or Android support despite requests from clients).

Support tickets are routinely closed prior to problem resolution. They do not allow you to call in to support for assistance, and often it seems like staff does not read the initial problem request as you have to repeat yourself 3-4 times (and get escalated) until you reach staff who can assist with anything beyond the most basic issues.

Issues that impact ability to handle patient care or conduct business are not escalated appropriately. Even if a change they make to the system results in mission critical failures, there is no option to quickly escalate to an appropriate stakeholder at DrChrono.

Simple requests, like customized disclaimers to limit legal liability when patients use the patient portal, are brushed off despite the risk to their clients.

Jimmy john N. Jimmy john N.

Reviewed on 22/06/2016

Excellent EHR when I started my practice

Pros

I was one of the early users of drchrono EHR when I opened my neurology practice back in 2010, when it was the first truly user friendly and mobile platform to take advantage of the iPad and their features when they were recently released, and I knew then that it had a lot of potential. The ease and efficiency of making your own templates and documenting notes, etc. definitely not only made my transition into private practice less stressful but also more fun than I had anticipated. At that time, there were only a few good options, and many, if not all, were way out of the budget of a solo practitioner who was just starting out. Drchrono's staff were always friendly and willing to help every time I would call about issues, and I never had any problem with them. As my practice grew, I saw how the whole team and staff at drchrono also grew over the years, and how the services and products evolved and expanded at such a rapid pace in keeping with advances in technology, and they're always finding ways to help the physician and staff become more efficient. Even though I closed my practice in 2014 as I took on a new job as an employed physician for a hospital, I would not hesitate going back to using drchrono EHR, knowing how easy and intuitive their system is.

Cons

I still wish there is a better way to allow practitioners who no longer are practicing or no longer needing to keep their drchrono EHR account active, to be able to store their records and still have access to them per medicare guidelines; I'm still having difficulty syncing them to my Box account as instructed.

Nadeem V. Nadeem V.

Reviewed on 03/04/2020

The most extensible and best value EMR on the market

Over the last seven years, I've seen a progressive improvement to an already excellent software platform and have considered myself lucky for starting with DrChrono from the beginning. I wouldn't be able to run my office without it. I couldn't imagine my office without it.

Pros

Drchrono is so extraordinarily customizable that it can be modified for any specialty, even one as subspecialized as mine. The practice management module makes billing so easy that I can do all the billing tasks as a solo provider by myself. The API integrates into several third party apps that extend the capability of the system beyond the base system. The iPad first interface is perfect for a tech forward practice. And the price/feature ratio is the best on the market, in my opinion.

Cons

Occasional outages, worsening performance in the live claims feed for billing, and schedule performance issues recently.

NexTech EMR & PM and Modernizing Medicine
Jenni F. Jenni F.

Reviewed on 19/02/2017

Pros and Cons of drChrono

I switched from a free EMR in May 2016. I make primary care house calls for Medicare insured patients. I needed an EMR that was Ipad/mobile friendly and included billing as well. I looked at many platforms. There are some nice options out there. For me though the selling point was the nearly full functionality on the iPad including an ability to fax right from the drChrono app on the iPad. There are a few things you can't do through the app and so I have to login to the main website to access these functions.
I have the Apollo Plus plan and so I do not use the coding services, I code my own notes.

Pros

Ipad charting via app.
Faxing within the EMR Avis the app and main site
Good customer support, especially on the billing side
Easy to use billing platform
Cost effective compared to other EMRs I demo'd.

Cons

The note templates are fairly basic looking (when printed out) and my order forms for lab and X-rays look plain. Could be improved!
Can't set tasks/reminders for a future date.
No alerts when faxes don't go through.

Lee W. Lee W.

Reviewed on 21/01/2021

Scam Artists!

My experience is pretty bad with the 'team' at Dr. Chrono. There is no way to actually get in contact with a 'help desk' or to get assistance with issues when the program fails. You must submit a work order and then hope for a call back. The call back, if it EVER comes, is usually 2-3 days later (after submitting a work order). The only people you can easily access is the sales team who always states they can't help with system function/glitches/assistance with use or function of the program.

Furthermore, you must be careful of the contract you sign! I recently let an associate go, and they are going to continue charging me for the no longer employed physician between $400-500/month with no intent on giving me a credit or stopping the charges until a new associate starts. The contract ends in June-they have been charging me since last October for this other physician-just letting me throw away money so they can earn a profit EVEN AFTER 5 YEARS AS A COMMITTED USER TO THEIR COMPANY!

I URGE ANYONE TO FIND ANOTHER PROGRAM!

Pros

I have been using the program for 5 years. Once I had my templates in place and understood the very quirky way this program builds and imports the note from the multiple page boxes which can be clicked on to create the note, I was able to use the system in a functional way that will create a thorough note which looks legally presentable. However, if you intuitively use the boxes they have set up to create and import information into your note, you will see a great deal of unnecessary information imported into your notes and you will legally be in trouble, as it will include things that you not only did not examine, but that are unnecessary to be in your notes. This makes you seriously susceptible to lawsuits and legal action against you. But if you learn how the system imports information and create all your own templates, and you DO NOT click on their boxes, you will be fine, as the information will be only what you require and what you have deemed necessary in the notes.

Cons

The program glitches and freezes frequently. They are constantly doing maintenance on the program, which creates days of very slow use and function. The program frequently fails to save information you have entered or edited, which can get you in real legal trouble. If you are not paying attention, a great deal of information may be missing from your notes due to these glitches and system failures. Unfortunately, once you are invested in a program, it is a real hassle to switch, as many of us know. So I suffer through these issues, understanding that in 5 years of use, the problems have not improved-they've actually worsened.

Practice Fusion

Reasons for Choosing DrChrono

the previous program was very time consuming

WEBeDoctor

Reasons for Switching to DrChrono

I made a serious mis-judgement!
Craig K. Craig K.

Reviewed on 03/02/2018

From a physicians perspective, a very unintuitive system with many idiosyncrasies that make it...

Once again, an EMR that may meet the needs of administrators, but fails to help those who actually provide the health care services.

Pros

- Lots of pre-programmed macros
- built in dictation works well
- Electronic prescribing works well on app based version (but zip code needed to find a pharmacy using the web based version)

Cons

- Web based version very different from app based version
- illogical provider work flow - steps needed to navigate through the system are unintuitive
- very small fields in which to enter patient data (med hx, fam hx, soc hx, etc.)
- Program did not initially store any patient data that was entered - i.e., patient information such as medical hx, fam hx, etc., was not being saved. Our IT people -
had to work with drchrono to set up a 'button' to turn on to save this information
- unable to compare previous labs side by side with new results
- Results do not automatically enter into a patient's chart; thus unable to communicate with patients directly from screen that has either lab or imaging results -
have to enter into the patient chart to initiate communication, then return back to your message or task center to continue processing other results

Response from Nick

Hi Craig,

Thank you for submitting your feedback. We understand that you have had some concerns in regards to the general workflow and layout of the platform, and we would like to let you know that DrChrono EHR is robust and customizable to match your workflows. We've also been notified that your Account Manager is working closely with your practice to help customize DrChrono EHR to fit your unique needs. In terms of comparing lab results side-by-side, our team is currently working on this feature. Unlike other EHRs that release product enhancements once in a while, DrChrono constantly improves and releases new features and updates throughout the year. Stay tuned for an update from your Account Manger.

We are glad to help resolve the setup questions and we’ll continue to follow up with your AM to ensure DrChrono is serving your clinic as needed.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact your Account Manager or directly at [email protected] as this is always an avenue for you.

-DrChrono Team

Replied 21/03/2018
Gregg G. Gregg G.

Reviewed on 01/06/2016

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Pros

It is nearly a one stop shop bedside tool for a busy outpatient surgical center. Consent and Data entry is pretty easy. Creating our own templates for nearly the entire process was essential, and we were able to do that with very little help. It's fairly intuitive. There are definitely downsides to creating your own templates (see below). The ability to draw notes and fax notes is excellent, and improvements in fax documentation and signing is indicative of how they try to constantly improve. The different tiers of service offers a slightly clunky fit, though overall it is pretty decent given the fact you mainly have to choose the feature they lay out at each tier of service. Also, there are on line instructions with video for many features, but they often have outdated videos and it's hard to distinguish. They should label each version with the VERSION of Dr. Chrono to which they are doing the training in order to avoid wasting time. The set up is easy. Help for the initial set up is good. They offer good training.

Cons

SERVICE. I can't stress strongly enough how variable the service quality is. There is no way to contact them other than email. You cannot call them. They call back at times when either I'm busy, or after hours. It's as though you can't get anyone or worse since they are at arms length. It makes it VERY difficult to deal with a complex problem. I am more that willing to pay extra for better service with a "phone line" or "hot line" to call. This has been rejected. I don't know why. I find it a poor way to run service for an EHR company.
RELIABILITY: This is a real problem. There are so many breakdowns, inability to use the notes, slow service, etc. We increased our internet speed at work to 15G and it didn't really help other than increase speed when it is working. I do recommend a higher speed as the data is fairly intensive which is a plus for DrChrono - they can accomplish a lot. But the breakdowns have forced us to use paper charting on many occasions. A very recent example is that we could not view a complete not from the iPADS. We could from the computer, but that is NOT how we function, nor should we be expected to function that way. It was resolved in a few hours. The very next day you could not view notes from EITHER the iPAD or the computer. Other issues were consent forms simply dropping off the consent list on the iPAD or being put in reverse order. After many emails, they finally admitted there was a problem. Also, the back and forth creates poor communication when you get a request to take a "screen shot" of a problem that occurred a few days ago. Even then, you are lucky to get an answer other than "we are looking at this".
SALES: Pretty darn good. Just wish they added a service package with a phone line/hot line.

Marni G. Marni G.

Reviewed on 26/06/2015

They still have a lot to learn

Pros

Simple to get up and running. You can send automated appointment reminders via text, in Spanish. And when you type in a patient's address, you can type in the ZIP code, and it fills in the City and State for you.

Cons

It just seems like they're not ready. Like they put the product out before finishing it. Yes, they HAVE certain functionality, but does it work like it's supposed to?

I've had many problems since I signed up in December of 2013, but this one is particularly revealing:

DrChrono has a way for doctors to receive electronic refill requests, which is great. But when we started using it, we discovered that when we refilled prescriptions in this way, once it was sent, there was no record of it ever happening. No record whatsoever. Of a doctor refilling a prescription. No date. No medication name or dosage or number of refills. The whole thing would just vanish. The only confirmation we could get was by calling the pharmacy by phone and writing in the paper charts that we still had to maintain because drchrono can't track what doctors need to track. I made them aware of this issue in April of 2014. May, I followed up, no response. June I followed up, no response. DECEMBER rolls along, and I got an email saying:

"Thank you for your patience as we've worked to investigate the issue you had reported about medication not getting added after the refill request is approved. We don't currently have a timeframe we can provide regarding when a solution will be available but did want to let you know that it is still on our radar and that as soon as we have an update to share, we'll be certain to let you know."

It wasn't until February 2015 that I finally got an email saying they fixed it. Maybe it's fine now, I don't know because I don't trust them to handle my practice.

I don't usually go into detail like this when I write reviews, but I'm hoping that this experience illustrates the central problem with drchrono. They are software developers with little experience in actually running a medical practice. Ask any experienced medical biller that has used DrChrono for billing, and they will tell you all the BASIC things that are missing from a billing software.

Historical patient eligibility. Meaning, DrChrono doesn't keep track of what insurance a patient USED to have, only what they have now. So when you're looking at a previous claim details, it looks as if it was paid by the patient's CURRENT payer, not the payer that ACTUALLY paid it. And with all the changes that are happening with Medicare, and Obamacare, it's crucial to keep track of things correctly because a patient's coverage can change month-to-month.

Recording prescriptions given through the software... correctly recording payments received through the software. These are BASIC elements of running a practice. And DrChrono is clueless.

Jaime S. Jaime S.

Reviewed on 20/10/2019

Best EHR

None

Pros

DrChrono is by far the easiest EHR that I have ever used. I've worked in emergency medical, surgery, industrial, aesthetics and primary care. By far this EHR is the easiest to use and customize.

Cons

Unable to set time in which the EHR is accessible by non provider staff. Would be great be able to set times in which I could set ancillary staff could use the EHR. Being that one could down load the app to the mobile device. Unable to set security settings that would prevent staff from accessing the EHR via their mobile device does patients personal information at risk.

Charles S. Charles S.

Reviewed on 15/07/2019

Hind sight is 2020- Don’t Do It

Highly disappointed in the company.

Pros

Patient reminder system and appointment scheduling.

Cons

Many promises were made prior to going on board and I was highly excited about getting up and going. There was a lot of difficulty reaching technical support for immediate and not so immediate issues. My staff had to spend many man hours to get the proper paper work for billing of Medicare once we found out that they were dragging their feet. We could no longer wait on them getting everything in order. The issue with Medicare still has not been completely resolved to date and Medicare is one of our major carriers. Had we not intervene the present progress would not have been made. There were numerous emails and telephone calls placed only to get the usual response that they were sorry for the inconvenience and would solve the issues. You can believe that there were no problems charging the credit card on a monthly basis. The initial monthly contract agreement increased substantially and the service never came up to par. I am totally disappointment in the company and will not be renewing my contract. Ample time was given to vent my frustrations on the phone and at the end of the conversation I would be told the usual which is that they would resolve the issues. I can honestly say that that Drchrono has caused us a lot of frustration, valuable time and waste of my money. Like others have mentioned Buyer Beware.

Response from DrChrono

Dear Charles,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We take our customer feedback and user experience very seriously. We apologize for the challenges you've been experiencing. Your concern has been escalated to our Customer Success management team and I believe they already tried to get in touch with your practice. We appreciate your patience as we work through your requests. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected]

Replied 12/08/2019
Charles W. Charles W.

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

The best way to describe DrChrono is 1 sentence, better yet, 1 word is: Amateur

I hope they change some simple things and this could pass as a functional EMR.

Pros

It is cheap and they tell you that they offer a lot of quick tools. Overall, I would say that procedure notes are actually really quick which is the way they should be. Having said that, they are quick if it is a routine procedure. Any deviation from routine and it's really difficult. The iPad App is very funcitonal compared to other apps, but is still limited by the architecture of the program as a whole. In 20 years when the general public knows how to utilize an ipad efficiently, this product could be really good as far as the check-in/data gathering phase of patient care.

Cons

The program has far too many limitations. Simple things like headers and subheaders aren't really even headers or subheaders. It's rather impressive. Customer support is almost non-existant if you want something more than the routine minimal functionality. This program can't even get prescriptions correct. They omit the start date and end date of a prescription. They say "the start date is the date you write it". Well, what happens if you write a controlled substance that doesn't start for a week because they just filled a 7 day supply from their surgeon? Well then you are left hoping that the pharmacist notices the DNF in the comments section (the comments section specifically states: do not put start date, or any other important information). Everything about this program is like a teenager that took a programming course and thinks that they can do everything now. They have canned videos to show you how to do basic things. After that, you're on your own. It's just you and the glitches in the system trying to find your way through life. I'm 30 and fairly tech savvy, so I've been digging really deep into the program to maximize it. On the surface it looks great. After you pass through the first layer of promises...good luck.

Response from The DrChrono Team

Hi Charles,

We don't see you as an active DrChrono user or customer in our system. If you need support or help with your account, please email us at [email protected] so that we can assist you.

Replied 08/08/2018
Greg S. Greg S.
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Reviewed on 08/03/2016

Almost doubled my income with way less work than I was doing!

Pros

I love the ease of billing and creation of full narrative notes. I'm not coder, but writing the html for a custom note was actually pretty easy. I had help right away when I was stuck on creating one part of the note.

Cons

The learning curve seemed steep at first, but then I look back at other software I've used, and it's really no different. To learn something very well just takes time and effort - with the outcome proportional to the input at first. Now that I'm familiar with the DrChrono, the input is minimal and the output (insurance payment and more time with my patients) is getting up there to maximal!

Tusonah B. Tusonah B.

Reviewed on 28/01/2020

EHR Made Easier

I was able to not only schedule patients and have a calendar view but it also solved the problem with employee schedules by having them more involved with their own scheduling

Pros

I liked the Calendar features and the interactive of it all

Cons

Patients had a little difficulty not recognizing the reminders they were being sent about their appointments

Matthew T. Matthew T.

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Great clinical software and customer service!!!

Pros

DrChrono has freed up time for me to treat more patients in my clinic and get some of my free time back.

Cons

Wish scheduling software had more features like Genbook scheduling software and onpatient portal was a little more user friendly. I have had some patients have difficulty setting it up and paying online through the onpatient portal. Sometimes when patients call about an invoice they have received they do not speak with someone very knowledgeable and somewhat of a language barrier.

Shannon H. Shannon H.

Reviewed on 30/05/2018

Been using them for years

Pros

This is a great starting EHR because they offer the free option to start so you are able to work with it for awhile before committing to a payed version.

Cons

The customer service is good but not great, several times I have had questions or needed help with an issue and it has taken upwards of a week to get things solved sometimes unresolved. When they do updates they don't give new tutorials telling how things have changed and how to utilize the new additions.

Amy G. Amy G.

Reviewed on 02/12/2018

The most comprehensive EHR I found

Overall I’m a satisfied customer. I’ve been with DrChrono for 5 years now I believe.

Pros

I like the integrated fax, iPad or iPhone app for SOAP notes (I often do SOAP notes while my husband drives us home)

Cons

The price can be steep for some budgets. The online scheduling is limited - I’ve had to resort to using an additional service for this. The customer service can also be slow. You have to send a “ticket” and then someone gets back to you within a day or two.

Amy B. Amy B.

Wonderful Integrated EHR

Pros

Very user friendly software. Real time claims reporting. Online scheduling. Easy to use schedule with appointment color coding that can be customized.

Cons

Not printer friendly for reports. Some functions require multiple clicking to accomplish. No point of sale or general patient ledger. Inventory management is clunky and hard to update quantity. Online scheduling does not have a way to choose doctor.

Holly M. Holly M.

Reviewed on 24/05/2018

User friendly and very efficient

Pros

My favorite thing about this software is that it's user friendly. The tutorials they offer are great, but it's also very easy to navigate the site yourself also. Secondly, I appreciate that it's also efficient.

Cons

My least favorite thing is that it occasionally gets turned "on" to send my patients reminders for their appointments. Some of my patients do not want notifications going to their email and/or phone, so I don't like that after a certain amount of time, the default saved information changes to "on" and they are sent reminders.

Darrin T. Darrin T.

Easy to use program

Pros

Many options to use for customization. I was able to add and customize all of my needs for note taking, intake forms, follow up forms, and so on.

Cons

Many action steps to finish notes. In order to get to my customized soap note I have to go through 2 steps, then I have to finish, close and then lock. Easier if it locked when I closed the note in the first place.

Phyllis M. Phyllis M.

Reviewed on 24/02/2017

Quality EHR with Quality Billing Service

DrChrono is an excellent choice, especially for the smaller size medical practices. The pricing makes it very cost-effective, and the customer support is top-notch. Additionally, I have employed their billing service to handle all my insurance claims and follow-up. Typically, it takes a maximum of 2 business days for the DrChrono team to submit my insurance claims. The speed and accuracy with which claims are filed have a direct correlation to the speed and accuracy of receiving payments.

Samantha A. Samantha A.

Reviewed on 24/05/2018

The ability to personalize each template is a plus.

Pros

The true iPad capability through the app. The personalization is very easy and templates are easy to create.

Cons

Can be cumbersome when several tabs are open at once. Entering several lines of information via drop down menus to create templates used to be easy through cut and paste. Since a new update it is very time consuming.

Linda B. Linda B.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 13/10/2018

The Best

They do a great job and keep up with adding new meds to their database.

Pros

Less expensive than any other I have found
Reliable
Great Customer Service
Intuitive menus
Drug interactions on the screen

Cons

This is minor, however, I have no control over the layout of printed scripts, including font size. Nor am I able to print different scripts on the same paper. I must give 3 separate scripts for ADHD medicine, and if I print all 3 on 1 page, the pharmacist calls to say the script is unreadable.

Response from The DrChrono Team

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your feedback. I see that you are currently using our free trial account which does not provide full access to all features. Please let us know if you'd like to see the product demo and upgrade to a paid plan. You can email us at [email protected]

Replied 24/10/2018
Eric Y. Eric Y.

Physical Therapist review of DrChrono

Once you learn the system it is easy to use. I have created a filing system that helps me ensure that I do not miss progress notes or re-evaluations.

Pros

Notes are easy to customize to the needs of the clinic. Billing is simple and straight forward. Notes are saved in real time so information is never lost. It is easy to access past notes and patient information.

Cons

This product is not best suited for for physical therapists. It fails to create a plan of care for patients (it does not carry forward goals, diagnosis, or the plan of care for each note under the current case). The system does not flag you for charges, re-evaluations or progress notes.

Adam S. Adam S.

Reviewed on 03/06/2017

Best EMR on the market.

awesome EMR that is continually improving. Wish they had more native English speakers on their support staff.

Pros

Great overall value. Sky is the limit in terms of customizing your workflow and experience. Great implementation. Love the UI and easy to use iPad app. Hands down the best EMR.

Cons

There are a few simple things they should be able to fix: i.e. Allow customization with the online scheduler, overall the payment experience (for copays and in office payments). Some stuff seems half baked but can easily be fixed. Problems with all EMRs is that you have smart engineers that work on the product that have never actually stepped foot in a doctors office.