7shifts Reviews

About 7shifts

7shifts is an all-in-one restaurant team management platform that helps operators: 1) Make more profitable decisions. You'll get the insights you need to make the best team and operating decisions every day. Hit your labor...

Browse 7shifts Reviews

1,171 of 1,171 reviews
Leandro
Leandro

Reviewed on 05/11/2020

7 Shifts for restaurant schedule Management

My managers and employees love it.

Pros

It is easy to use and anybody with a phone can have easy access to their schedule, send messages using it, and letting anybody know about changes. It is a very practical and professional tool for the schedules that we use in our Restaurant. We have the scheduling available on our P/R processor, but we prefer to pay for this service as it is more agile and practical than our P/R company.

Cons

To be honest, I do not have any complaints, but we only use the scheduling module as we have other systems.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Leandro! It's great to hear that even though you have the option, you see so much value in 7shifts that it goes above and beyond what is offered to you in your payroll provide. Know that we will always be looking to increase the value of our services for folks like yourself. Cheers!

Replied 06/11/2020
Andrea

Reviewed on 21/12/2022

My excellent experience with sevenshifts as a café owner

Overall, completely satisfied like I said, their technology is very easy to use mobile friendly they have every feature you could need small business to big business. I’m sure across industries, especially in the food and beverage business rates. Perfect so having a company like this is great. It’s also apparent by their new features that they’re adding that they’re continuing to innovate investing and grow and they’re going to be around so that’s important.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that it was super easy to use for me and my staff it’s just very easy and it starts off. You can just do the basics and I am as a new business owner. I was just you know priorities come up, so scheduling was just first and foremost, but it has so many features that you can add on them at any time which is great they have help then it’s a wonderful automated system and they’ve just added a ton of new great features. I am excited to use.

Cons

Honestly, I can’t say I didn’t like anything in particular or what I least liked I think with maybe what I least used was something where we would be things that bigger organizations might need to use that or not important or not necessary for my particular business, but there is nothing that was the least liked

Homebase

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

Didn’t know anything about homebase it was used by the previous person. I try to get in there and start using it switching over and it was just a headache so I just looked for a new system start fresh and this one was just doing easier and glad I did.

Homebase

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

So there’s a ton of different products out there seven shifts is a reasonable price and it had the features I needed for my industry so I looked at several products, but I focus on what they what features they had and what my priorities were at the time and it matched
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 06/11/2019

7Shifts and More?

The team loved 7shifts since it was so user friendly and easy to access from PC or mobile. Unfortunately, forecasting is obviously a big issue when it comes to scheduling so we moved on.

Pros

I liked the messaging platform it had for teams. I enjoyed the ease of seeing team member roles. I liked the ease of seeing the daily line up of teams in different departments. I enjoyed being able to flag attendance within the app and reports generated from that.

Cons

I did not like third party app integrations that users would be automatically opted into. Forecasting was a bit clunky also unfortunately.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

We didnt. We went with HotSchedules.

Response from 7shifts

Hi there, thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback and really appreciate you sharing with us what you liked, and what you did not like about 7shifts.

In regards to sales/labor forecasting, this is something we are always looking to improve so we appreciate your candor. We strive to provide all of our customers with at least 95% accuracy in forecasting, so if this was something we have not lived up to we want to make it right and work with you to improve your experience. Please reach out to our team any time and we would be happy to help!

On that note, we just released our new Optimal Labor tool which provides hourly sales forecasts which are even more intuitive and transparent. The goal here is to provide managers and operators a visual representation of their labor needs to help them more easily hit their targets with solid forecasts: https://support.7shifts.com/article/310-optimal-labor-tool

Replied 06/11/2019

Top 7shifts Alternatives

Ray

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Pizza Ranch Gillette, WY

Decent experience, but I'm starting to waiver if I will continue to use it.

Pros

Easy to use, easy for employees to use. It's mobile and I can access it from anywhere, as can our employees

Cons

Lack of sync with Revel POS which makes me hesitant to continue to use it.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with 7shifts! We greatly appreciate customer feedback. With any feedback you'd like to share further, feel free to pass it along to [email protected] and they can help you.

Replied 09/04/2024
Tom

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Game changing app!

Overall it’s great! Customer service is my biggest reason for using 7shifts!!!! Questions get addressed the same day! If there’s a glitch or a feature request, they listen and will try to implement on their next update. This app has come a long way. The app is ever evolving and I see new features being added from time to time. Love the support and love the evolution. Price is also fair. 100% will recommend to any businesses!

Pros

A super all-in-one app that does pretty much everything. Scheduling, to time clocking, to event calendar, to messaging, to task assigning. Price is fair and function is easy to use.

Cons

Messaging within the app is slow and unreliable. Amount of notifications received is too much and not easily customizable. Not having the ability to show a staff’s shift from another department that work multiple departments when printing is kind of a bummer (if I am scheduled to work as a manager in admin department, I will not show up in the restaurant department even though I am assigned and appear on schedule).

MakeShift and HotSchedules

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

I started with Microsoft excel. It’s free, but you get what you paid for. Workarounds after workarounds. Then I tried “when I work”. It’s great, but they charge by the employee, which gets pretty expensive after 50+ people. MakeShift was recommended by our payroll company because our time clock is sync’d with MakeShift so we can effectively use labour forecast vs actual labour. But that’s the only thing good about it. Hate the fact I need to use 3 different apps - 1 for manager, 1 for staff scheduling and 1 for messenging… price is also higher too. 7shifts’s pricing is excellent. Flat fee, unlimited employees was huge. Plus the functions available was almost perfect! It hits every check mark and then some. If our time clock data (ADP) can be uploaded to 7shifts or have an integration between the two, that would be a dream come true!

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Price was the biggest decision maker. Ease of use. And the fact the dev team listen and evolve to make the end user’s experience better is the key reason for the switch. I’ve already seen over 10 major upgrades over the past 2 years. No other products out there can do what 7shifts can!

Response from 7shifts

Tom, thank you SO much for such a detailed review with so much thought and consideration - our entire team really appreciates it and looks forward to providing your business with value for years to come.

Replied 03/09/2021

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Best scheduling / timesheet app to date!

Support has been amazingly helpful and all around compassionate. Makes us happy to feel like we're a part of a community where our concerns are heard.

Pros

Responsiveness. Ease of use. Employees not complaining for once!

Cons

With scheduling, we have staff that want to have the same recurring shift week to week. This changes often so having a template for a time period versus just a person is proving difficult. Staff keep saying "but I thought that was my shift every week?" What's happening is, they offered their shift to someone else so when we copy the prior week to a new week, the wrong employee gets assigned the shift. This is getting hard to manage.

Need the ability to print out day schedules the same way weekly ones look. We print our schedules out daily and assign breaks from them plus we leave notes about the day. Currently the only option to print a day view is in list mode and that does not show you visually where holes in scheduling are. We did find a way around it by printing the day view from the manager dashboard but that prints out the website not just the schedule.

We close out pay periods but they are still just sitting there as open, so that's confusing.

I wish we could name our group chats and create multiple versions with the same people. We like having group chats around topics to keep messages separate and easy to reference.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the super detailed review. Please feel free to share this directly with our team at [email protected] so we can work with you to make these suggested improvements!

Replied 07/09/2021
Jayelynn
Jayelynn

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Helpful and Easy to Use

Overall, it's easy and convenient to use and cheaper than some of the similar apps.

Pros

You can work from the website or from the app which is convenient if you're bouncing between locations. On the website, I can preset shift times for faster scheduling. You can set multiple roles which is beneficial for staff that do multiple things. You can assign an hourly to each role as well, so you can see an approximation of your labor for the week.

Cons

Unfortunately, the preset shift times do not translate over to the app so you do have to manually do it which takes a little more time. Although I have my preference set to get push notifications for almost all the app features, they don't always come through.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

7shifts was less expensive and much easier to use plus it integrated with our point of sale system.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Jayelynn! We appreciate your feedback and love hearing that 7shifts can help you keep your schedules straight from anywhere. I've passed along your request regarding preset shifts on the app to our mobile development team for further consideration. Thank you!

Replied 06/09/2019
Ashley

Reviewed on 23/01/2024

7shifts for the win!

Pros

Getting 7Shifts set up was super easy! The process to integrate with the other platforms that we use was also very simple. This is important because not all companies have an IT department that can blow through tech set up. 7Shifts can be used by anyone.

Cons

The only complaint I have is the that you aren't able to use the tip management feature unless you use 7shifts' payroll processing as well.

When I Work and HotSchedules

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

We quit using Compeat all together so we needed to find multiple new solutions for the tech we were replacing.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

The price was right and they integrate with our tech stack.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with 7shifts! We greatly appreciate customer feedback. With any concerns or feedback you'd like to share further, feel free to pass it along to [email protected].

Replied 24/01/2024
Matthew
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 19/03/2024

Matt C's review

Easy to use and track scheduling, great and fast customer service!

Pros

Ease of scheduling and ability to change and trade shifts on mobile.

Cons

It can be a bit hard to navigate on mobile sometimes.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with 7shifts! We love hearing about how 7shifts has positively impacted your restaurant. If there is ever anything we can help with, our team is here for you. Feel free to reach out to [email protected] for any extra feedback or questions.

Replied 22/03/2024
Ryan
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

7 Shifts Review

From the beginning of the free trial that the support team set us up, to the end of the trial just showed how great of a program 7 shifts is. My employees are already raving about it and how easy the phone app is too. The program is great and so is the customer service from the support team.

Pros

Ease of use, customer service, speed, responsiveness, price, does exactly what we were looking for.

Cons

Can't think of a con...just a great program

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

It just seemed like the best product for the price...and again the customer service was great too.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Ryan! We're excited to hear that 7shifts has been easy to setup and that you and your staff are loving it. Also, thanks for the kind words regarding our customer service. We take the support we provide our clients very seriously so it mean a lot to us to hear that it has been a benefit to you. All the best!

Replied 29/05/2019

Reviewed on 03/11/2020

Longtime user

Absolutely great! If you have any issues they help you out right away. Plus they are always evolving and take their customers suggestions and implement them.

Pros

Very easy to use. Lots of integration options and they are continually adding more. Easy for staff to use!

Cons

Not everything you need to do is on the mobile app or sometimes hard to find.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

7shifts was very easy to use and they got back to me very quickly with any questions. They features they offered also interested us and it looked ( and is) very easy to use.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the kind words Sarah! We are humbled by your feedback, and happy to hear you have found a lot of value in our platform once you made the switch from Hot Schedules. Keep an eye out for even more great functionality being added soon.

Also, I'm going to have a member of our mobile team reach out to you in order to hear about your ideas for improving our mobile apps to better suit you.

Replied 05/11/2020
Shannon

Reviewed on 10/02/2023

Great product, and the price is so affordable

The best piece to me was taking scheduling, time off requests, availability, and budgeting and putting them into a single piece of software.

Pros

I loved getting to a digital schedule that I could easily push notifcations to my employees. It really streamlined the schedule process for my business and allowed me to simplify several processes into one.

Cons

I was very happy with the software, however the only thing that made me switch was to get as many things under a single software suite as possible. We now use square for POS, scheduling, time tracking, payroll management, etc.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

I already have excel and used it prior, but I needed something that was much more advanced.
Brandon

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

Whole team loves it! Super easy to use

I'm a super fan! They even sent us a sweet box of swag!
Even before that we fell in love with the software.
The number one thing though is how easy it is to use.

Pros

Incredibly simple to set up and begin using.
Team loves the autonomous features that give them control off requesting shifts and time off.
Management loves how easy it to publish weekly schedules.
My favorite features are the reporting and labor budgeting tools.

Cons

I wished I would have deployed it sooner

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

The old software didn't integrate with our new POS system.

7shifts was the easiest to use and had a more friendly UX,UI

Response from 7shifts

Thanks so much for the review, Brandon! A lot of time and attention goes into designing 7shifts to give our restaurant clients a great experienceso we're glad you're experiencing that at Acorn Grill! Happy scheduling :)

Replied 08/01/2021
Kayla

Reviewed on 06/11/2020

7Shifts Review - Kayla Cunningham

Overall I have had a good experience with 7shifts. I have used several other employee databases and this application seems to work the quickest without error. I would recommend this to anyone looking for something similar.

Pros

It's simplistic and easy for users to clock in, monitor their earnings, and communicate with other coworkers. I can use the pin pad to clock in right when I get to work or I have the option to manually write in my hours each of the week.

Cons

Entering in my hourly work on a daily basis can be tedious, but I wouldn't say I dislike it.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks so much for the review Kayla!

Replied 16/11/2020
Melisa

I love 7shifts!

Pros

I love 7shifts! It's easy to use, easy to schedule, easy for my staff. I can communicate with the whole team at once, can look at the whole month of requests off, the reports are handy for seeing who has had what time off, etc. The team can trade shifts amongst themselves and everybody can get ahold of each other when needed. I also like that I have quick easy access to things like employee start dates, etc without having to go digging through their file!We do not sync this with our POS or payroll, but I do use it to double check when I have a time clock entry that seems off.It's also nice to be able to easily access the schedule from years prior!All around good product at a fair price!

Cons

I wish that some features of this product were not only available with the more expensive plan. Reminders for important staff dates would be helpful, but isn't worth the extra $$. Same with a manager log book, I'd love to use it with our business, but it's not worth the price difference to unlock these two items.I've only ever had a couple of issues I've run into. While support wasn't always able to correct them or address them head on, they've always done what they're able to &/or have put in feature requests, etc.

Sling and Schedulefly

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

We were a brand new business and had shopped around for scheduling software. I also had previously used several other products, but wasn't necessarily keen on what I'd used before. We opted for a different product, but it didn't have the same usability as 7shifts. Glad we realized this early on! We made the switch and have no intention of changing again!
Ashley
  • Industry: Supermarkets

7Shifts Needs Ways to Search for Message Posts that Have Happened in the Past

The scheduling feature, though I do not make the work schedule, seems to work well.

Pros

The way the schedule is laid out on the dashboard is nice and easy to see and understand.

Cons

I need a way to know employee phone numbers when they are not scheduled. On the iPad app, I currently hover over their name (when they are scheduled) and their phone number appears. My coworker is somehow able to see all employee phone numbers regardless of when the person is scheduled, but we could not get access to that on another device. This brings me to another issue: the ability to use all of the features pan-device. It seems like some employees can get some information on some devices, but we cannot find/use every feature on every device, app or website. In the communication/messaging area, we need to be able to bold, underline, and italicize, just like in an email. We need to be able to search for messages, just like in emails.This software is very slow on every device I have used, and in multiple internet connectivity areas. Sometimes a customer is asking for a particular employee. Rather than physically walking around and searching our 4500 sq ft store and office space that's in a separate area, it would be nice to be able to check 7Shifts to see if that person is even working—alas, I can usually walk the entire floor and check three separate office spaces BEFORE the 7shifts Dashboard loads.

Brianna

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

Great, just needs some tweaks.

Scheduling mistakes! I used collect employees' schedules and manually enter them into an availability table that I made on Excel. Then I would refer to that table as I made the schedule. The issues arose when employees would text me their availability or time off requests; those were easy to lose track of. This software puts the responsibility of accurate availability on the employee, it's great!

Pros

It saves time by allowing the employees to add their own availability, request time off, and switch shifts with each other. This software is a huge help and has solved scheduling problems and prevented some mistakes.

Cons

It only prints a week at a time, there is no condensed version to get a monthly schedule printed. The month-long format that they do have is horribly unorganized & does not print well. This isn't a big issue, it just uses up more paper and space than our previous scheduling method.
The absolute worst part about this software has to do with the roles that employees can be assigned: there is no "training" option under the roles that I created. This makes scheduling new employees very difficult. The work-around is tedious; remove their current roles, schedule them for the time they would train and write their role in the notes of that shift. This is inconvenient because it is difficult to track "unassigned" shifts. It would be great if there was a training option under each role so that when I run the report, I can track how many training shifts an employee has had.

Response from 7shifts

Hi Brianna,

Thanks so much for the review! We appreciate your positive feedback AND your constructive feedback, which we absolutely take to heart. I have broken down your feedback piece by piece and sent it along to our product team to analysis and consideration. We will also have a member of our team reach out to you to see if we can create a better experience for your workflow.

All the best!

Replied 25/07/2019
Lauren

Reviewed on 01/09/2021

Great Scheduling Software

I really like 7shifts, I’ve never used any other scheduling software so I don’t have a comparison other than manual paper scheduling. 7shifts is a million times better than that. I can’t imagine scheduling 50+ people without 7shifts.

Pros

I own a full service, high end, casual dining restaurant. I have usually between 50-65 employees. 7shifts allows me to manage multiple department schedules for the entire restaurant pretty easily. I very much like the feature that allows me to copy and paste the schedule from prior weeks, as well as the ability to create a template and distribute that template amongst everyone’s availability. I like that it puts accountability for requesting time off an updating availability on the employee. This saves me so much time. 7shifts connects with Cake (my POS) and brings sales over so that I can project my labor for the schedule I’m making.

Cons

When I start from a template and the software distributes the shifts based on people’s availability seems very random. It would be better if the software was able to take into consideration the employees schedule from last week, keeping it the same as much as possible, and prioritizing shifts to primary roles. When I start from a template I have to do a lot more reorganizing of shifts after the software fills it out for me.

Response from 7shifts

Dang! Thanks for the kind words Lauren, we really appreciate it.

Replied 07/09/2021
Rachael

Reviewed on 03/11/2020

7Shifts is easy to use for all staff

We have been very happy with the overall use of 7shifts and anytime we needed customer service, they were courteous and offered a quick fix. They were very gracious during our Covid closure and offered use of the app free of charge so that we could stay in contact with all our employees. I highly recommend!

Pros

We use 7shifts as the primary tool for communication as well as scheduling. It's easy to set up, add new employees, manage the schedule, shift bids, and time off requests. Employees report that it is one of the most comprehensive and easy to use scheduling apps they've ever used! As the administrator, 7shifts makes scheduling quick and easy which is a huge benefit.

Cons

The availability function can be improved. Employees report that it is the only aspect of the app that gives them trouble. Sometimes there is a lag between what the app shows on my phone vs. computer. For instance, shifts that have been edited and published are showing as not published on the app on my phone. Minor issues that cause little to no problems.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Rachael! We really love the feedback you provided and I have passed it along to our mobile team for review. We want to ensure we make your experience and 11.

Also, we are happy to hear that 7shifts was able to support you in the way you needed it during COVID. We ALWAYS want to support our clients and know this has been a challenging time for any small business. Just know that we've got your back :)

Replied 05/11/2020
Carilyn

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

Maximize Efficiency: Unlocking Potential with 7shifts

It is great for scheduling and team communication. There are lots of additional options as well that we are looking forward to implementing.

Pros

This app is not only incredibly user-friendly but also impressively efficient. With its intuitive interface, I've been able to streamline scheduling processes, saving valuable time and ensuring seamless communication with my staff. The real-time updates and notifications help to foster a more cohesive and productive work environment.

Cons

We have experienced occasional glitches or technical issues but they were resolved quite quickly.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with 7shifts! We greatly appreciate customer feedback. With any feedback you'd like to share further, feel free to pass it along to [email protected].

Replied 27/03/2024
Chelsea

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Much aloha for 7shifts!

I have been very satisfied with the customer service. In Hawaii sometimes its difficult to get answers because of our time difference. But even if I miss customer service, they always get back to me in a very timely manner and I am super grateful!

Pros

I manage a restaurant that uses Toast as our POS system. The integration was easy and I love the real time information shared between both platforms. The scheduling portion of 7shifts is my favorite and the mobile access. Business needs change on a dime in food and beverage and I need all my staff members to be on the same page at all times. The messaging feature is also very crucial, we live on an island and recently Mauna Loa volcano erupted. Some of our team members live on the other side of the island. We wanted to get work out quickly and efficiently to share information and to go over safety protocols and possible plans. 7shifts allowed for us to reach all of our employees in a timely manner.

Cons

One thing I would ask 7shifts to consider is allowing for a business to customize "flags" for the schedule. For example, if I call someone off of work I would rather leave their original schedule posted for the record and indicate that I called them off.

Tricia

Best Bang for Your Buckl

I don't know that we could function properly & in our budget without a scheduling program. We previously used Hot Schedules. It was complicated for everyone & had a lot of extra junk no one really used or needed. We moved to 7shifts & it was a breath of fresh air!!! So much easier to use, the reports it provides are fantastic & it has built in tools that guide the scheduler to meeting their labor costs. Labor is undeniably our largest expense. It is also our most important so having 7shifts help us manage that is priceless. By the way, it is NOT expensive!!

Pros

I find it to be very user friendly for our GM's that build their schedules. I also appreciate the fact that it puts our staff in charge of their schedules. If they play by the rules of 7shifts, they can really make their schedules work for them.

Cons

Customer service; chatting is not efficient & even if the tech is the one that isn't responding, you still get kicked out when the time is up.

GINGER

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

works well for what it does do.

It works well for what it does, but a few small things would make a big difference.

Pros

It is pretty easy to use. I like that it has staff ph.#'s and you can call or text through app without having to create a contact in personal account. as long as a staff member is in our employ, we have the important info in an easy to find format. It is easy to request time off and switch shifts through the app as well.

Cons

If someone wants to trade shifts, we have to scroll through all their shifts to see if they are going to go into overtime. It does give you a general hour count, but it is hardly ever accurate as sometimes staff get sent home early, and of course the app wouldn't know that. For me it would be great if you could tap someones name and it would show all their shifts in one place, and you wouldn't have to check every day to know whether or not to approve a change, like you wouldn't want to approve a 3rd double shift in a row, but without double checking every day, you don't know exactly what shifts a staff member has or will work.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the great, detailed review Ginger! We really appreciate your feedback and I've passed this along to our development team.

Replied 18/11/2020
Madison

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Best Out There!

Overall, the easiest to use and understand of all scheduling systems any of my jobs have had.

Pros

It’s extremely user-friendly. Very easy to navigate between sections and clear layouts.

Cons

The chat feature doesn’t always load everyone’s responses properly.

Replied 02/04/2024
Ciara

7shifts, great for more than just scheduling

Pros

It’s convenient the the mobile app works well to do most scheduling updates and adding of employees. The messaging also works well for getting in touch with team members and the facts that contact information is readily available to our teams to connect.

Cons

Sometimes there are issues where employees do not have update notifications enabled and they miss updates. You also can’t reactivate terminated employees from the mobile app. You don’t get a good view of hourly shift coverage in the mobile app like you do from accessing online in the browser.