About Stripe

Stripe is a cloud-based solution that offers a varied set of unified APIs and tools that enable businesses to manage and accept payments online. Stripe handles key payment functions, such as subscriptions, storing cards and...

Browse Stripe Reviews

Steve D.

Reviewed on 28/04/2022

Stripe Payments is my Go-To payment processor for my online business.

My love for Stripe has grown over the years. I probably had a Stripe account for 6 to 10 months before I even used it. I looked at it and not having a degree from MIT I was pretty lost and didn't bother trying to figure it out. I had a payment process already and it was working.

After I began reading more and more bad news about this other payment processor I was using, I decided it was time to carve out some time and figure out how to use Stripe.
It did not take as long as I originally thought it would but I eventually began using Stripe alongside the other payment processor.

I figured out how to set up subscriptions and invoices with Stripe and over time, became more and more comfortable using Stripe.

I can now go into the dashboard and put together an invoice within a minute or two or connect Stripe to a new site I built. More importantly, I think Stripe support has gotten better over the years which makes everything else with Stripe just that much easier.

Pros

It is easy to integrate with my website's payment tools. Branding my invoices with my website logo is also super easy. I have used the word 'easy' a couple of times already and that is the main thing I like about Stripe - the Stripe features I use are easy.

While trying to figure out some of the features I now use on a regular basis, I had to use the Stripe Support staff quite a bit and in doing so, I quickly realized that they are a top benefit of using Stripe.

Cons

In the Pro category, I said that my main Pro feature was that Stripe is easy but only with the features I use. I might use more of the many features Stripe offers if they were easy to use or at least figure out without the back & forth with Stripe Support.

Stripe does have a YouTube channel but the one that is most helpful is StripeDevelopers - NOT just Stripe.

Authorize.Net and Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

Being available in more countries and the cost of using Stripe is why I chose Stripe over the others.
Eero L.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Reviewed on 22/03/2022

The best generic payment processor out there

We use Stripe for the majority of our payment processing on online stores. It is reliable and fast, payouts are really fast too. The customer service has always been great, and so is the documentation. The service has always been on track with any annoying new EU regulations, so I can truly recommend this company.

Pros

I use Stripe in dozen different online stores. It just works. Reliable, fast, great service all around. Affordable fees too. I am extremely happy I left Paypal behind.

Cons

I haven't found anything to complain about so far. This tells how great the service is. Usually, there is always something wrong.

Klarna and Worldpay

Reasons for Choosing Stripe

Paypal is expensive, for starters. They make everything extremely difficult, when you need to reach customer service you might as well call Skynet because bots are all you get - at least in Europe. They can shut down your account for no reason all of a sudden, which happened to us and many of our partners. The reasoning was that some information was missing, but then getting the information to them was made extremely difficult with long processing time which just meant enormous losses meanwhile. Thank god we moved on and found Stripe.

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

Best pricing, modern, easiest to implement.
Farzin Y.

Reviewed on 08/04/2022

The most terrible experience with Stripe approach and customer support

I have been using Stripe as the gateway for online payments. They are excellent in dragging you in and a total disaster when you want an explanation for your money. They stall you as much as they can with all disrespectfullness and irresponsibiliy.

Pros

Ease of use, good integration, and acceptable security

Cons

Customer support and care is aweful. They could not care less about your business and what their erratic and inconsistent action poses on your business, reputation, and financial status. As an exampe, they just put my payouts on hold without prior notice with the pretext that my account is not verified after 3 years of working with them, and in answer to why that happened, rubbed their TOS in my face. Hopless and helpless, I followed their instruction and re-entered the exact same info I did on day 1 without no change. Despite account status being changed to "verified" and without any explanation they have been postponing my payouts. I have been receiving"Sorry! the specialists are still reviewing your account and we loop them via email" for the past week while my payouts are on hold and me left in financial and emotional distress. The support denies to direct you to someone in charge and leave you helpless at their own discretion. Don't get fooled: if you want in, they are all help and support and courtesy. When you asked them help you out, you will have one of the worst experiences of your life.

Top Stripe Alternatives

Pius E.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 24/04/2022

Stripe

My overall experience with Stripe has been pleasant, profitable, and smooth. Payments are processed smoothly despite customer locations and my payments are mostly on time except for public holidays. I really can't complain about stripe.

Pros

Stripe integrates with a lot of software builders and customer management platforms out there. No matter your app builder you are a lot more likely to find stripe integration than other payment processors out there. It's also very easy to manage and keeps tabs on everything happening on your account even on your phone with the mobile app.

Cons

When you deploy Stripe Radar, for which you extra pay BTW, sometimes authentic payments are flagged as potentially fraudulent and are not completed. When this happens it's very frustrating to the customer and to us as well. Improving radar is be more efficient would be very helpful.

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

Stripe's payment processing is less demanding of the customer. The Customer does not need to create an account or enter their billing address or phone number and yet it is still super safe. Customers can just enter their card details and proceed to pay.

Reviewed on 17/03/2022

Best Payment solution ever for online businesses

We use Stripe as our payment processing partner and had a very good experience so far we have the development team in-house, we also leveraged stripe's API for payment capturing and authorization. Their customer support is also good as I remember there were some scenarios we needed the help with and they delivered the good response to it. Although, we also found some things missing on their end to adjust but overall it has been a great journey so far with Stripe.

Pros

Stripe is one of the best online payment processing software available in the market. It has some advantages such as no monthly fees or set up fees and is very secure for online payment capture. It also accepts a wide range of payment methods.

Cons

Stripe has a lot of capabilities and a wide range of payment options available as well but when it comes to the in-person payment options, there should be more options available.

PayPal and Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

Due to wide range of available payment methods as well as the in person payment support since we needed it for both and stripe also has no montly fees or any set up fees. so turned out to be a best solution for our business
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 22/04/2022

Stripe Online Payments

I have been using Stripe for the last 4-5 years. It is an essential part of my business. I suggest it to all of my clients setting up online payments in any capacity.

Pros

Stripe is super easy to set up and integrates with so many other platforms.

Cons

I looked at using Stripe exclusively for my subscription services but found the Tax Invoice requirements for Australia, and Stripe a bit hit and miss. I decided to use a third party platform to do the invoicing, and just use Stripe as the payment processor. It was easier to make sure all my invoices were compliant.

Reviewed on 07/04/2022

A payment gateway platform anyone could setup

Excellent. Would never consider using any other platform.

Pros

There are so many ways to integrate Stripe into your website or even just create the payment pages with Stripe. This ease of use paired with the reliability makes it the obvious leader in the market for me.

Cons

Not much. The commission rate is a little high compared to some others but the features and reliability are so good I don't mind paying extra for the best.

Sergio A.

Reviewed on 24/03/2022

Favorite Payment Processor!

Pros

Easy to sign up and integrate on Shopify, the transaction fees are reasonable, creating invoices and sending them manually has never been easier thanks to Stripe!

Cons

It is not supported in every country; if you live in a developing country, you should incorporate an LLC using Stripe Atlas before being eligible to sign up.

Reviewed on 25/04/2022

Why We Use Stripe to Process Payments

Our experience using Stripe has been positive and we are happy overall with the payment processor.

Pros

We integrate stripe as our payment processing to accept payments from guests from our 3rd party vacation rental software platform and it's always been easy to use and setup. It was important for us to be able to accept guests credit cards and Stripe gives us that functionality we were looking for.

Cons

The only thing that we don't like is it can be expensive to use stripe so this is an added expense to our business.

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

We chose Stripe over Paypal because we wanted more of a formal online payment processor as our main processor and Stripe provides us with more analytics.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 23/03/2022

Great Payment Gateway For Small to Medium Businesses

Pros

Ease of use to setup the payment account. Had faced few issues when setting up the account, but their customer support team was very helpful and instant in responding to the issue.
Recently Introduced to the UAE Market, we as a company had found stipe to be very easy to setup accounts

Cons

Lacks options to add reference Invoice number to invoices created on Stripe Invoices. Limited customizability options in Invoices generated using Stripe.

Amazon Pay

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

Price Advantage, Not Monthly Fixed Fees, Easy to Setup, Positive Customer Reviews.
Wisani M.

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

Another successful payments gateway to trust

So far so good with us.I have no real issues with them mostly good issues like i have never has disputes as a user and as administrator .

Pros

To be honest no one needs Labour intensive settings up process so with strip it has easy way to set up in has lot of ready made scripts fo different use. In an essence its easy to set up and for users its easy to pay using it.

Cons

Their business strategy told them that some countries and currencies are second to others so the development in those countries is less and and increase cost to deal witg them. For example in South Africa it does not partnered bank that makes little extra work to get money if you are a merchant.

2Checkout

Reasons for Choosing Stripe

They are against themselves they said this and do that. So they stand with the bigger entities on with policy and truth.

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

I already had a working account and service fee are affordable for me.
Vance W.

Reviewed on 13/05/2022

Best payment processing gateway yet

Nothing short of amazing. I've used Stripe since at least 5 years ago and to see how far they've come today, it's only going to get better.

Pros

Stripe has always been known to be ahead of the payment processing game and the new features that are rolled out every now and then just continue to solidify their position. I like their API access and documentation most, compared to other payment processing gateways.

Cons

The dashboard can be a little cluttered and overwhelming for non-tech savvy users. I particularly face this problem with business owners and accountants when getting them to use Stripe as an online payment processing gateway. But when they get used to the UI, they never look back.

Reasons for Choosing Stripe

Processing fee, ease of use, and API access

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

API access and native integrations available
Mo T.

Reviewed on 07/04/2022

Can't get better!

Overall, the sheer ease of use, set up, convenience and payment processing is the absolute best and the current industry-standard for a lot of start-ups and small businesses. Their fees are competitive, payment processing is quick and efficient and security is industry-standard for an extra peace of mind for you and your clients. It's all straightforward to use and the host of analytics, metrics and reporting features make it easy for you to keep tabs on your payments. I literally can't think of a better system.

Pros

Convenience is king when it comes to Stripe. Invoicing and billing is an absolute breeze and takes a matter of minutes to set up. Once you have your account ready to go, creating an invoice is simple and straightforward. All you need is the recipient's name, email and business address and you're good to go. You may want to include invoice information, though the length of that depends on your own needs and can often be done outside of Stripe if you have SOW's in place, so generally only needs a brief outline of what the invoice is for. Once you've filled in your payee's information, it generates a secure payment link for online payments that has industry-standard encryption and top-of-the-line security for their peace of mind. Then, it's up to you to send off the link and for the payee to fill the invoice. The whole process of setting up payments is an absolute breeze takes next-to-no time at all. Other than convenience of payments, their reporting and analytics, ease of set and use, information archiving and security is simple to set up and use. Everything is provided at a glance and you often won't have to spend no more than a few minutes in your account.

Cons

One potential improvement, especially in the scope of remote-based teams, could be to allow contributors into the account with restricted access. For instance, when I need an invoice in my particular role, I'd have to have this approved via the manager, though this could be done a lot quicker if there was some sort of 'guest' or restricted staff access that would allow me to only create invoices in order to save time in creating and having them approved. Of course this would vary from business to business and you'd need a certain level of seniority, however I think this feature could be a huge opportunity to increase convenience even further.

Diego luis M.

Reviewed on 01/04/2022

Take payments and security to another level

Since I have been using stripe, my company has projected an image of more prestige, security and professionalism.

I love the comprehensive metrics and projections features it has. Transaction data is clearly presented at all times, which is a peace of mind for the client as well as for me as the owner of the company. Now I spend less time understanding a payment process in case the customer has a claim. Above all, the best thing is the robust security.

Since I integrated stripe to all my e-learning projects and platforms, my business has increased conversion. And as a bonus to all this, in order to implement stripe in some projects, I had to improve the structure of some of my sites so that they work better for the client and the information is clear.

They helped me in this process through the customer support service, and with this my platforms now comply with all the legal requirements to be able to sell at a more professional level.

Pros

security is extraordinary

lots of useful information in case of payment disputes
shelf life projections by customers, that's great

options like radar are the best

professional image for my company

excellent integrations, another strong point of stripe

top notch customer service and support

integrating stripe the customer never leaves our platform or application to make the payment, so it is perceived as something more secure, it is not confusing for the customer, and this increases the conversion rate.

Cons

it can take a while to get used to so much data

they are a bit demanding when it comes to allowing integration to a site, which can be a bit annoying at first, but this is not really a con, rather it sets a standard of quality and professionalism, making one like business owner also becomes professional.

Some fees can be a bit high compared to other platforms, but weighing the fact of stripe's impressive security, integration, data that's pure gold, it's immediately clear that it's worth integrating stripe into all of our Projects.

It does not allow you to open accounts from some countries, although you can pay from any country as a customer.

Scott B.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 15/09/2021

Simply seamless

Stripe is a vital tool for our Donor Department, as more and more of our donors choose to give with a credit card or debit card vs. gifts via check. The interface is easy to use, and I love the "Reports Overview " on the home page. I wish our donor CRM tool offered such convenient "at a glance" reports!

Pros

I love the functionality. When our CRM software lets u know that a credit card gift was unable to process, I can go into Stripe and see how many times the system has retried the gift, as well as the decline code the donor's bank provided. Then when I call the donor I have a lot of info at my disposal.

As far as the gifts that WERE processed correctly, it's very easy to export them into a simple spreadsheet, which I then submit to our Executive Director.

Cons

My regret is that I haven't looked more into the functionality of the software. There are likely things that Stripe offers that we are not utilizing. A suggestion for the developers at Stripe may be to send their users helpful "Are you aware of this feature?" type emails / letters

Abele S.

Reviewed on 03/09/2021

Our preferred payment processing company

From the day we started using Stripe, they have been an absolute joy to work with. Through the available (externally developed) payment plugins, accepting debit and credit card payments securely through our site has been a breeze. The account was up and running in no time with minimal manual steps. Never have we had any restrictions placed on our account because Stripe saw an officially licensed product as a potential case of trademark infringement, nor have they ever asked us for invoices from our suppliers. Yes, these are the kind of things our friendly PayPal does do. So often have we found our account restricted for some bogus reason. Not with Stripe. Stripe does what it needs to do and does it better than anyone. Do you know highly advanced customizations to restrict certain payments? You can set up clear and easy to understand rules. If you want detailed insight into a payment to judge whether the transaction is safe, you can see every single detail (bar the full credit card number of course) for every transaction. If Stripe were to develop better payment integrations for different platforms that offer the latest features and if they would waive refund fees for all customers, Stripe would get a 10/10 from us. We hope that we will be able to use Stripe for many years to come.

Pros

Stripe is supported around the world and is customized for many regions, offerring localized payment options and on top of all that is affordable, professional, safe and secure. What more could you want from a payment processing company? Stripe's backend is simple enough for a beginning customer, but offers advanced functionality for those that require it.

Cons

No in-house developers that manage the systems integrations options such as Woocommerce integration. As a result, you are dependent on external third party developers to integrate new functionality or manage customer integration issues. Although Stripe does have a plugin listed, the plugin is incompatible with many installations and does not offer the latest features that are available through their API.

Additionally, if you're not on their legacy plan, refunds are very expensive (you will not get your payment fees back). Stripe should offer a lower-cost refund option such as a flat $0.50 fee per refund to help small struggling businesses.

Reasons for Choosing Stripe

PayPal was unable to manage fraudulent transactions and frequently restricts accounts and payments, requesting for "additional information". Their system is overzealous in flagging potentially risky transactions, only to create trouble for their users. On top of that, they are restrictive in functionality and their customer service is uncooperative.

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

Square is not supported in many countries and many other payment methods only support payments in USD. Stripe was able to meet all our needs and far exceed them, making them the best in the business.
Jonathan T.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 09/08/2021

Top choice for small business

I am overall satisfied with stripe for processing payment of my invoices but I know they could help me integrate it better into my website if they wanted more business .

Pros

Fast and easy online setup no credit checks or bank involvement like in the past when it had to be done through your bank works fast and does cost the earth .

Cons

Cant use on my website without specialist knowledge if they could make it easier to install payment gateways for novices I would not have to use PayPal for this .

Reasons for Choosing Stripe

Customers without PayPal accounts were having trouble making payments and PayPal are more expensive

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

I liked the easy setup and it was the preferred option of our accounting software
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Reviewed on 26/07/2021

A no-nonsense payment gateway for businesses of all sizes

Pros

The prime aspect that I love the most about stripe is its very easy deployment with its direct API integrations. As a start-up that processes information through different channels, having stripe has made it hassle-free and seamless to analyse, manage, & track all our inbound payments using just our smartphones. We have and are continuing to save unnecessary banking costs with stripe. The no-code payment feature is a seller to companies like us who are looking to get one-time instant payments.

Cons

As the crypto market is gaining traction, especially with these alternative currencies going mainstream, it'd be great to have stripe regulate crypto in-bound payments as well. This is very critical for companies like us who consider crypto to be balance sheet assets.

Klarna

Reasons for Choosing Stripe

PayPal was not user-friendly nor was it pocket-friendly as well. When compared to stripe, the security features are a bit lagging.

Erik M.

Reviewed on 23/05/2021

Stripe is a GO-TO payment processor for SMBs

Stripe has enabled first class payment processing for our organization and the organizations we’ve implemented it for.

Pros

Stripe is everything that people love about PayPal with everything a payment processing system needs to feel professional and high end to the end user. If you are using Squarespace or Woocommerce, Stripe is so easy to implement that you don’t even need development knowledge to implement it. Payment processing rates are fair and instant payout options are huge for businesses that are just starting out.

Cons

There’s really no con to Stripe. It’s definitely something that requires some development knowledge to implement it. but because of how easy it is for developers… Stripe has so much third-party support so you’re likely able to find a free implementation method for your platform.

Authorize.Net

Reasons for Choosing Stripe

It allowed us to create subscriptions and other advanced payment processing options that we needed to impment

PayPal, Square Payments and Clover

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

The fact that there is no monthly charge to use the payment system is ideal for small businesses that we have implemented Stripe for.
Nadia P.
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 29/04/2021

Best transaction processing I've used

Really really good experience overall. I've used many different payment processors, and Stripe has remained my favorite, by far, for the past few years. I'll be sticking with them for as long as I possibly can.

Pros

Stripe makes it so incredibly simple to process all my client transactions, and provides detailed reporting on all the money coming in and out of my business. Stripe's interface for viewing individual transactions, where they came from, their current status, the processing fees associated with them, and any other details I could possibly want to know is just magnificent. It's incredibly easy for me to find out anything I need at any given time for any transaction, which makes it easy for me to communicate with clients when it comes to status of their payments. Plus, I always know exactly when money is going to be transferred to my business bank account, which makes planning for expenses that much easier.

Cons

Honestly, my experience using Stripe has been pretty much 100% positive. For my uses, there aren't many cons, if any. I guess processing fees kinda stink, but that's going to be a reality for any payment processor, and Stripe's fees are comparable to market standard with any other processor out there.

PayPal and Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

I really prefer Stripe's dashboard interface, how they present transaction information, just how much information they provide about each transaction, and also the customer-facing experience of using Stripe (simple to understand, automated receipts). Essentially, Stripe has proven to be the easiest, most informative, and most intuitive payment processor I've used.
Ryan G.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Hands down the most flexible and easy to use website payment system

Internet payments used to be a HUGE headache, constantly worrying about setup, security, security and more security, but Stripe has really changed the game. It's made it possible for us to provide online payments for customers who would never have been able to afford the programming to do such a thing, or be able to afford the security measures necessary to properly take payments on their own. This is especially true because apart from the fees taken from each transaction, there is no recurring fee, which is a real asset to smaller businesses who don't do as much volume. On top of all that, the fact that the system is nearly seamless -- and MORE secure -- for the end user inputting their credit card information, is a huge win.

Pros

By far the best thing about Stripe is the way that it so easily integrates with nearly any shopping cart system or website payment plugin/application we've ever come across. Any need we've had to take web payments Stripe has been able to seamlessly connect to our system, including setting up some custom systems that in the past would have been way too complicated for us to do on our own.

Cons

The biggest complaint we have -- and since we use it a lot for customers, the biggest gripe they have as well, is the way deposits are done. Instead of depositing the whole amount of the transaction, then debiting the fees, Stripe takes the fees out before the deposit -- so on a $10 transaction, you only see $9.50 (or whatever the amount comes out to be) deposited in your bank account and have to manually do the accounting to match that payment and the fees, etc. Admittedly, it's a small complaint, but I think it's the only thing that keeps us from using this 100% of the time.

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

We tried a few other options, but nothing really ever came close to giving us the kind of integration or ease of use that we get from a Stripe setup.
Nayeli M.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 08/03/2021

Daily business necessity that makes my business run smoother

Not only is their system intuitive, but the customer service agents ACTUALLY like to help you! No fake smiles over the phone or loud exhaling and strained voices. You know which ones I mean ---- the kind you get from employees that don't like their job and it feels like it is a burden to help you. Yeah ---- NEVER have I experienced this with Stripe. They have a beautiful online system, they have happy employees ---- that can only mean Stripe really knows how to stay in business. And THAT is very important for my business because I use them on a daily basis. I love the way I can integrate Stripe onto many online applications for my business --- and continue to have 1 account to manage it all. I love that I can be added as a contributor to other Stripe accounts and access them via 1 single dashboard without needing to login again. Not only does this help me run my business but I am also able to offer custom coding services to others who have Stripe accounts that are trying to implement custom payments on their Wix sites via coding. I love the product and subscriptions payments --- I am able to easily integrate with programs that use my custom Stripe product page for payments so my branding stays consistent. I love that I can have instant pay out or 1 day pay out. I just love Stripe all around and I recommend it to anyone.

Pros

I love how easy the onboarding process was. The dashboard is so intuitive, modern and sleek. When you forget to do something, the notifications remind you of any missing steps you need to complete. I have been using Stripe for over 5 years and when I needed to update my legal documents due to a marriage, the customer service agents were amazing to work with. It went a lot faster than working with the bank! It was very convenient to receive document upload links via text and email. I was blown away that the customer service agent that I was speaking to over the phone was instantly seeing all the documentation I was uploading ---- so he was able to expedite the auditing & approval right away!

Cons

It would be amazing if they would update their mobile app so I can do more on the go. Now with longer wait times at doctors offices --- or traffic jams or on the road ---- it would be great if I could do more from my phone instead of having to log into a laptop. I want to be able to create a client via the Stripe mobile app. I would like to check on my Capital loan. I would like to cancel an invoice via the app or basically manage the basics from my cell phone. Currently the main purpose of the phone is to view transactions, and that's it.

Reasons for Choosing Stripe

Because Wells Fargo had high fee rates and they did not integrate easily with other online apps. Not to mention, their customer support is horrendous.

Reasons for Switching to Stripe

I didn't like the Square dashboard. I don't have physical products so I had not use for their POS system. They do not integrate easily with other online applications. They don't have an easy API to integrate. It does not integrate with Wix for subscription products. And their customer service was less than helpful when trying to engage with them before onboarding.
Amanda V.

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Stripe Makes Selling Your Products So Easy!

It was honestly so easy for me to get approved, and I was going through financial issues at the time when I applied and they never held that against me. They gave me a chance and because of Stripe I've been able have my own website, selling my own products and courses, without ever having to send my leads off my website to pay for their purchases through another online processor, like PayPal for example. You lose leads every time you add an additional step for your prospects to take, so using Stripe has therefore increased my conversions. And it's trustworthy, so my buyers feel safe. That's very important to me! Thank-you Stripe!

Pros

How easy it was to apply and get my account set up and running. I love being able to have my own payment processor on my website and not have to always send my buyers to PayPal to make their payments. Every time you have to send someone off your page you lower your chances of the buyer taking action.

Cons

There is really nothing I don't like about Stripe, maybe to have a lower cost but really they are helping me make money so who am I to complain when they were so easy for me to get set up!

Kalie B.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 04/01/2021

Robust But Confusing Software

In general, Stripe has worked well for us after we made the switch two years ago when we updated our website. The best feature for us is the ability to have monthly donors running through Stripe, which has helped our monthly donations increase. I would recommend Stripe to other non-profits but with the caution that it was not built for non-profits and that it can be tricky to understand - I would not recommend it to someone that wasn't at least somewhat tech-savvy and capable of figuring out how it all works.

Pros

Stripe has been beneficial for processing donations through our website. Our favorite feature is that it can do both one-time and recurring donations so our monthly donors can run through it as well as the donors who give once or sporadically. It can collect a lot of information that can all be exported out of Stripe for our donor database. We like that you can choose when funds will be automatically transferred to your bank account and change it when necessary - for example, for most of the year we have it transfer funds weekly. However, at year-end when donations are very high we switch to daily transfers. There is also the option to do manual transfers as well. Donations are grouped into "batches" when transfers are done so you can make sure the bank transfer matches the batch amount in Stripe and also matches the amount entered in the donor database (if you're a non-profit). You can also easily refund someone if needed, which has been helpful several times. Overall, this software does what it needs to do and has some great functionality along with it.

Cons

Stripe was a bit of a learning curve for us because it is clearly intended for for-profit companies or small businesses rather than non-profits. There are many features we don't use that I wish could be turned off or hidden so that it was one less thing lingering on the dashboard. Another thing that is difficult is that Stripe ties everything to an email address rather than a person's name, so if you are trying to find a specific person but don't know their email address it can be hard to find them in the system. In general, their support team is pretty helpful and easy to work with but it's all done through chat and email - there have been times where it would've been much more helpful if we could have talked on the phone while looking at Stripe together.

Anant M.

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

Finally a global payments platform worth using!

With full seamless integration with our WooCommerce platform, and a sleek modern user interface that everybody likes, accepting credit cards, debit cards and Apple Pay, Stripe is everything we ever needed.

Pros

We started using Stripe when we needed an alternative to PayPal's payment platform. Being globally accepted and trusted Stripe was the best and easiest alternative to choose.

- Easy to use and implement.
- Incredibly low fees, the best in the industry, this alone is enough to select it.
- Accepts all credit companies
- The verification process is smooth and easy.
- Interface is easy to understand and constantly getting updated with new features and other improvements.
- Timely automatic payments to our bank accounts.

Cons

There are only a few caveats that we experienced:
- American Express cards are not accepted in India.
- Stripe once disabled the whole system without notification or warning and wanted additional documents. Though the issue was resolved in a day, they should ask for information first and then disable the system if the user doesn't comply.