Gusto Reviews

About Gusto

Gusto is a modern, online human resource platform that helps any small business owner take care of all hr tasks. Gusto offers HR tools and HR services to help with managing employee onboarding, running payroll, administrating...

Browse Gusto Reviews

3,890 of 3,890 reviews
Carly
Carly

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Awesome Product and Support Staff

Payroll and tax payments can be time consuming and Gusto allows for the accounting team to do more important work and still feel like everything is being taken care of on the payroll side. Their customer service teams are extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros

Auto-sync and tax payments are the best features of the product that go above other products. Gusto will file the taxes for you, will send corrections if need be, and keeps track of all of that for your ease of mind. Their customer service team is above reproach, always willing to look into a problem and resolve it as soon as possible.

Cons

This is nitpicky, but the layout of the website often changes slightly. It would be nice if there was more consistency in the format. But the tool itself is above reproach.

Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QBO Payroll requires you to file most of the extra paperwork and taxes yourself, but Gusto takes care of that automatically for you.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is a really good choice for small business owners who want to have the support of a full payroll service program, without the crazy costs that can go along with that.
Evans
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 26/04/2024

Gusto Payroll

Pros

Gusto payroll application is fairly easy to use.

Cons

Something I do not like about Gusto is that it takes all day to deposit your money.,

Response from Gusto

Hi Evans,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're glad you find Gusto's payroll application fairly easy to use. We're actively working to improve our deposit times to better meet your expectations. If you have any other comments or questions, please let us know.
-Gusto

ian

Reviewed on 21/01/2021

Wasted my time and money, was literally counting the days until the end of the fiscal year.

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

Pros

Nothing. I was migrated to it from XERO, when they decided to no longer do payroll

Cons

Honestly, I HATED the stupid animated piggy bank. Probably seems trivial, but it seemed emblematic of a company that was more concerned about making their software look like an iPhone app, than making it work well. The payroll was cumbersome. It woudn't let me do payroll early, or late. It basically made me run payroll within a two day window. Bank account low? Still made you run payroll, or would hassle you about messages about being late. Want to go on vacation and do a couple weeks of payroll early? Nope, out of luck. When they told me they would manage my health care premiums, I thought, great! Nope, after a week of emails and after several phone calls, I found out they were just trying to be group managers, and insurance brokers by offering me different insurers that I could choose. Zero help if I already had a group plan set up. Plus too expensive. Patriot is way simpler, and way cheaper. I do see lots of my millenial patients that are working for startups that probably won't be in business in 5 years seem to have Gusto as their payroll, so I'm just not the business that Gusto is a fit for.

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

It was really just unwieldy, and poorly designed software.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

was forced to Gusto when Xero quit doing payroll.

Top Gusto Alternatives

Amanda
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 17/03/2024

Excellent, user-friendly payroll app

It's an excellent app with no issues whatsoever that we have encountered so far.

Pros

It is very user friendly and easy for the contractors to set up. The tracking is very clear and it issues 1099s at the end of the year electronically.

Cons

The initial stage of payroll delays the payroll for a longer period of time but after a few months, you have the option then of next day.

Response from Gusto

Hello Amanda,
We're thrilled to hear that you find Gusto's payroll app user-friendly and efficient for contractors, especially with clear tracking and electronic 1099 issuance. We appreciate your comments and are glad to know you've had a positive experience overall. If you have any further feedback or questions, please feel free to reach out. Thank you for choosing Gusto!
-Gusto

Jessica
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 06/05/2024

Payroll Administration

Pros

Gusto is very easy to use. Employees love the mobile wallet feature.

Cons

The performance management features could improve

Response from Gusto

Hello Jessica,

Thank you for your feedback!

We're pleased that you find Gusto easy to use, and we appreciate your suggestion to enhance the performance management features. Your input helps us improve our platform for you and your team. Thank you for choosing Gusto for your payroll administration!
-Gusto

Natasha
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 11/06/2024

Gusto--intuitive, user-friendly software

I love Gusto and really have no complaints. It ensures that everyone is paid while keeping track of the payroll details.

Pros

As a user, Gusto makes it easy for me to review payroll information and to receive my tax forms as well. It also sends notifications when there have been changes updated on the account.

Cons

The only thing I dislike about Gusto is sometimes there are moments that direct deposit paychecks have been delayed by hours up to a couple of days.

Response from Gusto

Hello Natasha,
We're glad to hear that you find Gusto intuitive and user-friendly, and that it helps you easily manage payroll information and receive tax forms. We also appreciate your positive comments about our notification system.

Your feedback is invaluable, and we're committed to enhancing our services to better meet your needs. Thank you for being a valued Gusto user!
-Gusto

• Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 01/06/2024

Gusto Made It Easy!

Pros

Multiple locations were no problem for Gusto. Payroll is a breeze.
Made it very easy and clear.

Cons

I have no complaints about Gusto.
Couldn't be more satisfied.

Response from Gusto

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your glowing review!

We're thrilled to hear that Gusto has made managing payroll across multiple locations a breeze for you. It's great to know that our platform has been easy to use and clear in its functionalities.

If you ever have any questions or need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to support you and ensure your continued satisfaction with Gusto.

Thank you for choosing Gusto!
-Gusto HQ

Henry
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 01/05/2024

Helpful software

I mainly used gusto for time and attendance management and I found that this software made it extremely easy and was very helpful.

Pros

This software is easy to use, extremely helpful and makes time and attendance management very efficient.

Cons

I haven't had any bad experiences to date whilst using gusto.

Response from Gusto

Hello Henry,

Thank you for your review!

We're thrilled to hear that Gusto has been helpful for your time and attendance management, and that you find it easy to use and efficient. We're glad you haven't had any negative experiences so far. If you ever have any questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you for choosing Gusto!

-Gusto

JAMIE
  • Industry: Design
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 31/05/2024

I love Gusto!

Very happy to have been recommended to use Gusto. Easy to use, organized and my accounting company uses it as well so it makes getting my books and finances in order easy.

Pros

Gusto is very user friendly. They have great tutorials and articles if you have a hard time with anything on their site. The layout is aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

Not much. I really enjoy the offerings so far.

Response from Gusto

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for your positive feedback!

We're thrilled that you love using Gusto! It's great to hear that you find our platform user-friendly, with helpful tutorials and a pleasing layout. We're glad Gusto has made your financial management easier, especially with its integration into your accounting company.

We appreciate your recommendation and are here to support you whenever you need assistance. Thank you for choosing Gusto!
-Gusto

Aiden

Reviewed on 30/05/2024

Good but consider other options

Pros

Easy to use as a user with simple ui. Good

Cons

not very feature full for the user could be improved

Response from Gusto

Hello Aiden,

Thank you for your feedback!

We're glad you find Gusto easy to use with its simple UI. We appreciate your comments about features and are constantly working to improve based on user input. If you have specific suggestions for enhancements, please share them with us. We're committed to providing an excellent experience for all our users. Thank you for choosing Gusto!
-Gusto

William

Reviewed on 08/12/2020

Foundational HR Tools for the Little Guys

Excellent! I love their customer service, I love that they keep me aware of what's going on in the world of HR/Payroll laws. I love that they helped find retirement and heath care options for my employees so that I can grow the benefits to my folks! I'm obviously a big fan of what these guys are doing.

Pros

These guys make me compliant with the evolving landscape of HR and payroll without distracting me from the core functions of my small business. They made on-boarding from my old payroll system easy. They found mistakes I'd made and helped me to correct them so even my tax history was compliant. Their customer service is excellent and I'm incredibly pleased with their Homebase integration. Super clean!

Cons

While the onboarding was much smoother than I anticipated, it was still a bit more cumbersome than described. It's definitely a hands-on process.

OnPay

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QuickBooks is incredibly cumbersome and I was often left with enormous doubt as to whether what I needed to do was actually done. Their integrations for payment of taxes were difficult and I was still left to the legwork of filing. The amount of time I spent doing HR was eating up my ability to react and get ahead of all the other COVID-19 requirements.

QuickBooks Desktop

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto made their pricing clear and demonstrated their ability to make onboarding as clean and easy as possible.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 07/12/2021

Great Payroll Software for a Great Price

Overall, Gusto is great tool for achieving many of the Human Resource and Payroll functions for companies of all sizes. Gusto's ability to operate immediately as well as its ease of use make it perfect. The reminder functions in Gusto are phenomenal, well thought out and appropriately timed. The system runs well, without any issues. In fact, I don't really recall ever having an issue running payroll because Gusto was down. The product is well worth the money and has a great price point, considering all of the available functions. I would highly recommend Gusto.

Pros

Gusto allows you to run payroll, effectively, upon sign-up. The system has numerous features that help to ensure that you are reminded when payroll is supposed to be run (as an administrator its something that is frequently forgotten when extremely busy), automatically tabulates and prepares tax documents for employees and contractors and even assisted with the preparation of forms for SBA Loans during the COVID-19 pandemic. The software is straightforward and is fairly self explanatory. Gusto is also a great onboarding tool that allows you to collect a significant portion of information needed to effectively onboard an employee and comply with state and federal requirements (E-verify, etc.) Overall, the software is excellent for its price point and well worth the money.

Cons

The only con associated with Gusto is the lack of customizable report options. Obviously, this con is more of a company or need specific issue. We found that utilizing Gusto for certain reporting needs for data generation was cumbersome or not really possible. However, I must also say that there have only been two instances over the last 1-2 years that we have encountered this problem and were able to successfully obtain this information from other resources.

Paycom, ADP Workforce Now, QuickBooks Enterprise and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We made the switch from both Xero and QuickBooks because we found the software with Quickbooks to be overly cumbersome for our use. Further, Xero lacked a lot of the functions that we felt we needed. Gusto is able to accommodate both needs associated with our intended use.

QuickBooks Enterprise and Xero

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We ultimately selected Gusto because of the price point, ease of use and dependability associated with Gusto.
Tony

Reviewed on 01/05/2023

Don't Waste Your Time - Either pay for Pro or Don't choose Gusto

Pros

I like that they take care of filing the payroll tax forms

Cons

Their customer service is HORRIBLE. LONG wait times. Talking with folks who do not speak English as their first language. No commitment to getting issues resolved.One of my clients' payroll was blocked because an error in Gusto's system caused them to think that I wasn't paying the bill. Turns out it was a software issue on their end and there was nothing I could do to fix it.I called right away at the beginning of the month and was told it would be resolved in a few days.At the end of the month, it appeared the issue had still not resolved, so I called in. They said they would create a ticket.A week later the issue was still not resolved (and as of the time of me writing this, it's still not resolved).This was nothing my client did wrong. This was nothing I did wrong. This was an issue with Gusto's back office.But yet, my client was the one who suffered because we could not process payroll on time.No one took responsibility to escalate and resolve this issue.For my friends who have a dedicated account rep, I've been told it works well.But if you don't have an account rep, don't waste your money on Gusto.It will be the biggest mistake you can make (aside from maybe choosing Quickbooks Payroll...)

QuickBooks Payroll, Rippling and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

This horrible experience I mentioned in my review

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

They have a large marketing presence in the Accounting community and so I thought I could trust them.I was wrong.What a poor experience.
Kira

Reviewed on 30/11/2023

Great Product at a Minimal Cost

Overall I am currently happy with Gusto as our payroll and onboarding solution. However if we continue to have issues with taxes, then we might change our mind in the future.

Pros

I really like utilizing Gusto for payroll, onboarding, and tax management. The system is really easy to use and it streamlines processes very well. The payroll calculation is so easy and it only takes about 5 minutes to run payroll which is great.

Cons

A few things I do not like about Gusto is the glitches, accountability, and response time from their support team. The system seems to glitch quite frequently which needs to be rebooted. We have had some issues with Gusto completing our taxes incorrectly or late which caused us to pay late fees and it was quite frustrating. Their response time on support tickets can be multiple days which is frustrating when it comes to urgent notices.

Paycor

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Sage is not user friendly and the cloud version never worked for our company. It was taking one whole day to complete payroll previously which is ridiculously for a company of our size.

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We decided to choose Gusto as our owner knew people who had success with the program and pricing.
Linda
Linda

Reviewed on 03/08/2023

Gusto is a great cost-effective HR tool

Staff is friendly and helpful, and they respond quickly to emails (in less than an hour, on average). The website is well-organized and simple to use. We switched from Intuit Payroll because it made paying state taxes to the appropriate agencies a snap.

Pros

Overall, it's a nice piece of ux design. The reality is that the criterion for usability for most goods in this space is simply that they work. With enough enthusiasm, most tasks become not only feasible but also simple. It's as simple as a few natural mouse clicks.

Cons

When I try to build a report that fits my exact specifications, I'm often forced to generate more data than necessary just to get to the data I want. It would be more convenient if you provided a part where I could pick and choose the data points that would go into my report.

Corey

Reviewed on 30/05/2022

Payroll done simple enough for ANY staff member.

Gusto is extremely helpful and efficient. My team enjoys the "social media" aspect of it, where new hires are introduced to the team before they even begin working. It goes a long way towards building a team. I would highly recommend Gusto to any small business trying to manage their staff. Onboarding is a breeze and gets the employees involved in their own financial matters. Even the least tech savvy person should be easily capable of following the necessary steps to be hired, paid, etc.

Pros

Employees are able to punch in and out using anything with an internet connection. Additionally, you can turn on Geolocation so that you can ensure the employee is actually on-site when they punch in & out. Best yet, they can actually leave notes in regards to what tasks were completed for the day. It's very helpful to have this built-in tracking feature for accountability with my very small staff.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is no effective scheduling tool (at least in my opinion), which forces me to go to another software provider for employee scheduling. Ideally, both scheduling and payroll could be done through the same web based software. This would also make it easier to compare scheduled vs. actually worked hours.

Homebase

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Homebase's payroll tools were not as intuitive or user friendly. However, we do use them for the staff scheduling aspect of the business.
Albert
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 02/12/2022

The Payroll Software for any Business Size

The experience of our business using Gusto has been very positive and we recommend other businesses to implement this software if they are facing issues relating to payroll as well as other HR services. The software is very user friendly and no great technical knowledge is required.

Pros

This software has been of great importance for our business in managing payroll as well as other HR services. We implemented this software as we hit 9 employees as we were having issues relating to payroll receiving several complaints from our employees. The complaints have reduced drastically as soon as we implemented Gusto, which hence resulted in time as well as cost savings as well as more satisfied employees.

Cons

There can be some improvements made to leave management as sometimes it is difficult to navigate through the software especially when the leave is of less than a day.

SurePayroll

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We decided to implement Gusto as we saw it as being more aligned with the issues that we wanted to address.
Heather

Reviewed on 15/05/2023

Payroll Made Easy

Overall, Gusto has made processing payroll so simple. The platform is easy to use and navigate. The PTO tracking tool helps myself and staff be able to see how many hours they have used and how many they have left.

Pros

Gusto allows me to run payroll aligned with ProCare. I love that I can enter information as the pay period goes and Gusto saves the changes. Time sheets are integrated from ProCare so I don't have to calculate hours worked.

Cons

I have yet to find a feature that I do not like. Everything runs smoothly and employees are paid on time with direct deposit.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto streamlines with ProCare, which is the software we use for clocking in and out.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Ease of use and integration with ProCare.
Coby
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 22/10/2020

Great payroll service for the little guy

Gusto is doing a better job than my previous payroll company for less money. They seem to really care about their customers and their experience.

Pros

The payroll features make doing payroll very easy. The employees can log their times and I can easily verify them and sync it with payroll. I feel like this company really cares about their customers much more than my previous "large payroll provider"

Cons

Site navigation can be a little bit difficult at times. I have to do some searching to find what I am looking for. Reporting is OK but could be better.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Run was not user friendly and much too expensive. I felt like an unimportant customer to a large company.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I had used QB in the past and it was ok, but Gusto seems to have more features for a better price and they seem to care more about my business than Intuit does. Intuit is very difficult to work with.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 27/01/2020

Cannot enter data to meet filing deadline in 4 days, Software lacking, and IRS says not...

For light weight use, it is pleasant. For anything cookie cutter, can be severely lacking. I do not have experience with Quicken payroll so not sure if any better given Quickbooks also seems to soft serve accounting now and buries T-accounts and registers, which should be at the top. That being said, at least one can still get to the register and make entries when soft serve ice cream is not appropriate, if you get my meaning.

Pros

It's pretty, modern GUI, and marketing and PR are nice. Lots of VC cash spent on social media and GUI to promote it. Phone support folks are pleasant but limited in what they can help with.

Cons

If problem, then your fault as they say software is designed to be self-serving and thus everything is your fault if does not work. But, if you want to grant restricted stock to people and generate 1099s and edited W-2s , then sorry, there software and support team could not help and there are no fields for me to "self-service" this data into their software. I've been in contact with Gusto since December and trying to get some 1099s and W-2s created and that are due by Jan. 31st. I finally spoke with someone today who said I could email them directions on where and how to enter into W-2s and 1099s, but I was then told that if a person's name was not in their software by Dec. 31st then software cannot create forms, even though there is time to still file. At the same time, I am receiving notices from IRS that 941s were not received, but Gusto software states filed.

Response from Gusto

Hi David, thanks for providing us your feedback about our software, and we've passed it along to our product team. We also see that you've been in touch with our customer support team and encourage you to reach back out to them if you have any questions and if there's anything else we can do for you in the moment.

Replied 28/01/2020
Erik
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 13/04/2021

Changing my review after disastrous series of events with Gusto

Great... until it wasn't.

Pros

Very clean design, easy to understand your account from your dashboard.

Cons

After several years as a Gusto client (and a previous 5 star reviewer), I'm posting this second review regarding my experience. Gusto is great ... until it's not. When we refinanced our house, we discovered that Gusto had been incorrectly reporting on our W2's. This created a series of several complications that took several weeks and persistent calls to fix. Perhaps some of the liability falls with me, but when I tried to make corrections, it was extremely difficult, slow, and frustrating. I expected some level of expertise in correct filing of tax forms. Gusto entry level workers did not seem to have the experience to understand the complexities of 5013 organizations. The trouble continued. If you've ever experienced the bureaucratic run around of pressing through multiple layers of hierarchy to actually get someone who knows what they're talking about and has the authority to make changes - yeah, that's what I experienced. The problems continued into this year - anytime I had a problem, it consistently took waaaaaay to much time to get a response from someone who could actually fix my problem. Ultimately, I decided after several years to cancel my relationship with Gusto. If you have a company or non-profit where you know tax laws, Gusto will be great for you. If you're looking for a payroll company that provides excellent, timely customer service and a level of counsel/guidance regarding tax and payroll laws to protect you, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Response from Gusto

Hi Erik. We're sorry about the experience that you've had with us. We have found your case in our system and will be reaching out as soon as possible.

Replied 15/04/2021
Alex

Reviewed on 30/08/2019

Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business

Overall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly.

The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.

Pros

We chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto.

Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto.

Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc.

Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.

Cons

The hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.

Rachel

Reviewed on 30/12/2023

Payroll that does not disappoint

Pros

This system is not only easy to set up but the user end is incredibly friendly. The system tracks all of our payroll, PTO and tax information and all but runs itself. After having used a few other options this was by far the best value for our money.

Cons

They used to offer a paycheck advance option that some of our employees took advantage of and this feature was removed.

Danløn

Paychex Flex
Andrea
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 20/05/2020

Payroll has become a breeze!

Overall, I would recommend Gusto since it is very easy to use and navigate, and they literally handle all aspects of payroll. In the last 5 years of using their service, I have had no problems submitting their forms to my accoutant, he is pleased with the access to their services as well!

Pros

I am not an accountant, nor did I take any business or accounting classes in college. Payroll was always a chore and a daunting task. Gusto has taken over all those aspects and provided an online way to check in on employees info/w2's, tax info at a glance, and even sends reminders when employees are due to be paid, who has been paid and who has not etc, it has made payroll so fun!

Cons

The customer service is great, but the response time on answers is longer than desired. I am used to dealing with online companies that respond to businesses right away, or even just answer one part of the problem and let me know they will get back to me on the rest of the problem with more in depth solutions.

Tim
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 22/10/2021

Good software not great.

Although some issues are frustrating the software works better than QuickBooks payroll. The cost also offsets some of the issues.

Pros

Most functions are easy to use. Some are more difficult and although they may offer some features, they can be difficult to find.

Cons

Customer support. I think when you pay for software you should have a phone number you can reach out to for technical support. I personally do not like paying for a service where I have to send a message and wait for a call back. This makes it more difficult when you are processing something time sensitive, such as payroll, and have to stop what you are doing only to hope you have time to go back to it when they finally call you. Employees have also complained about customer service regarding their accounts.

Patriot Payroll and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Lack of customer support.

QuickBooks Desktop