About Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT

Financial Edge NXT is a cloud accounting solution from Blackbaud that provides transparency across teams, security, compliance, and reduces the need for manual processes. The system is a fund accounting solution that provides a...

Browse Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT Reviews

Chris N.

Reviewed on 18/12/2017

Excellent!

Pros

Easy to Use and access. I would recommend Raiser's Edge to anyone. Once you have aligned your system with Finance reports are really easy to produce.

Cons

Raiser's Edge has so many fields that can be used or created, if you don't have an established process things can get messy like any database.

Candace C.

Reviewed on 20/05/2015

Financial Edge, Student Billing and Raiser's Edge - Powerful Tools!

Pros

I have used Financial Edge for over 10 years in both "traditional" non-profit settings, as well as a school. In all of these organizations, we also had Raiser's Edge - which was integrated with Financial Edge. Through the canned reports, as well as building custom reports, I have been able to accurately report on my organization's finances. The Student Billing module allows a school to record all payment activity for a student and tie that directly to the GL.

Cons

I have encountered many organizations that purchased Blackbaud Software without being properly trained. As a result, they become frustrated with the product which leads to negative comments. The sales reps should not be allowed to sell the software without a training package included.

Lawrence W.

Reviewed on 20/09/2016

An holistic way to view your financials.

Pros

Financial Edge offers a holistic way to view your organizations financials from payroll to charitable contributions and accounts payable to fixed assets. Because the product can integrate with Raiser's Edge it's a great way to improve efficiency and communication between your finance and development departments while eliminating duplicate work in terms of data entry. It's a robust system that can replace less flexible systems such as Quick Books.

Cons

Initial set-up and integration with Raiser's Edge can take a very long time. Before you're up and running smoothly, it's estimated that you'll need to invest 6 months to a years worth of work. While comprehensive, Financial Edge is inflexible in terms of account coding. You have to know your financial structure before beginning to set up. This isn't a learn as you go type of software.

Top Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT Alternatives

Angelo D.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 01/03/2017

Raiser Edge Platform

Raiser's Edge is a very useful tool for any Non-Profit Business owner who wants to keep track of their donation and any important contact in the database.

Pros

I like how easily it can track donors donation and give us a complete data of the earnings for the month

Cons

It would be nice if we can scan a business card and easily enable to automatically populate the person information in the system

Geoffrey G.

Business Office Specialist

Pros

We have been very pleased with our selection of Blackbaud products for all aspects of our business over the past 20 years. Financial Edge is a fully-integrated solution that is flexible enough for all the variations that come up in our particular office. Blackbaud has phenomenal customer support. I like their specific focus on non-profits.

Cons

Because Financial Edge is so flexible, there are many ways to accomplish similar tasks which sometimes makes the initial setup and early use of the system a challenge for newer users.

Gregory S.

Reviewed on 23/05/2017

A step in the right direction

FE NXT has greatly improved the efficiency and productivity of our finance department. We no longer have to generate reports for each individual department manager at the end of each month now that they have access to them 24/7.

Pros

- Access anywhere from any device
- Drill down capabilities
- Easy report creation
- Sleek desktop design

Cons

- Needs more concise mobile interface
- Can take some time to load information
- Inability to schedule report runs

Brooke N.

Reviewed on 16/05/2017

I work mostly in the AP portion of the program, some journal entries

Pros

I love how this software integrates with it's Raiser's Edge program. We are able to easily move information from there into Financial Edge, which limits the potential for errors. Plus, we are utilizing less time by not having to type the same information over.

Cons

Finding your way around in the beginning takes a little time. Especially when you are looking for something specific.

Ashley L.

Reviewed on 20/06/2018

Very intuitive

Pros

The Visual chart organizer makes it easy to shuffle our numbers into different formats depending on the purpose and the audience.

Cons

I don’t like having to click multiple tabs to see all related information abt something (budget and actuals for an account, or vendor info and payment activity) but looking forward to NXT which will solve this.

Laura M.

Reviewed on 10/01/2018

Blackbaud Works Efficiently

Overall Blackbaud stores all your information and makes your accounting transparent and easy to input.

Pros

Blackbaud is a very clear and straightforward software which helps track all donations, and donors and dates and amounts in which the last donations where made. It can also pull reports depending on different queries which can be great for board meetings and financial reveiws.

Cons

Blackbaud Financial Edge's only downfall is the complication on which to easily pull a querie. For new users or users that don't use the software on a regular basis to pull reports it can be tricky to pull new queries and can occassionally even delete or change previous queries.

Randall M.

Reviewed on 23/05/2017

Excellent upgrade of legacy financial system

Pros

Being able to add attachments easily, record journal entries easily, and add vendors easily are great. The report looks a lot cleaner, and having click-through capabilities on the reports is huge.

Cons

There are still features that have not been migrated, including some we use regularly. I'm hoping all AP and budget features are migrated soon so we don't have to keep toggling between the interfaces.

Christine D.

Reviewed on 20/05/2015

I have been working with The Financial Edge program for 15 years.

Pros

The program does so much that makes me more efficient at my job as MS/US Administrative Assistant at an Independent school. Whenever I am stuck and can't figure out something, the people at Blackbaud are quick to lead me to an answer and they are ALWAYS personable & friendly.

Cons

There is nothing that I do not like. There are facets that I still need to learn or to master, however.

Stephen E.

Reviewed on 20/10/2016

Great for Education

We implemented Financial Edge two years ago and are very happy with the system. The implementation phase took some time and planning, but having the system setup as desired has been great. We utilize the Accounts Payable, Cash Receipts and General Ledge modules of Financial Edge. We did utilize Student Billing, however with the merging of Smart Tuition with Blackbaud we made the transition to Smart Tuition. We do use Raisers Edge and Education Edge as well, which has proven helpful as the records can be shared across the various platforms.

Pros

Versatile and easy to navigate

Cons

Can be expensive

Marsha C.

Reviewed on 05/07/2018

Need for consolidation in one software.

Would really like to see Blackbaud come up with one software for Fundraising, Finances and Budgeting

Pros

On Line Resources: We seem to be able to get some good on line resources but extra service fee for a call.

Cons

Too many clicks to get what is needed. Too many modules which are interrelated causing a larger expense which at first was less.

Aaron S.

Reviewed on 18/08/2017

Does What I Need, But Not the Easiest to Use

Pros

The reports are fairly easy to generate, and have many customization options. Setting up templates and favorite reports is very helpful.

Cons

It's not the most user-friendly or intuitive of software. I can't stand the bank reconciliation (which could just be my own problem, to be sure). I don't often work with invoices and printing checks, but when I need to I have difficulty determining how to do so (again, could be my own limitations, I just wish it were more intuitive).

Heidi T.

Reviewed on 01/01/2016

Financial Edge is a robust system that helps non-profits.

Pros

The software is user friendly and super robust allowing non-profits ways to streamline accounting and keep the data integrity.

Cons

Expensive for additional users. We upgraded to FE NXT and we could use an additional seat but it is too expensive.

Jennifer J.

Reviewed on 06/02/2015

Financial Edge Review

Pros

The level of detail makes reporting very easy. I can get everything I need for the Single Audit in very to easy to read reports. I love that Blackbaud is committed to making the product intuitive and current with the most recent technology. I am super excited about FENXT!

Cons

The payroll module could really use a makeover! It is not very easy to update schedules or find the reports that we need.

Peggy K.

Reviewed on 22/09/2016

Financial Edge - Accounting

Pros

Navigating the system is very user friendly, as is data input.

Cons

Data entry is clear but the report writing is challenging

Yanli Z.

Reviewed on 20/01/2017

Financial Edge for Non-profit

I have been using this product for several months. It is a great product, I really like it.

Pros

The product has a lot of features for fund, grant and project management which is totally necessary for our organization. The learning resources are rich, the technical support team is fabulous. Almost everyone I had talked with is very knowledgeable.

Cons

I like the import feature for any module, however the data has to be in csv file, you end up to switch from excel and csv a lot.

Jana G.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 11/05/2017

Financial Edge NXT - what was promised has not been delivered.

We regret moving to this cloud based platform. We should have stayed with the regular old FE.

Pros

Nothing. What was promised was not delivered. We have two locations and used to be able to function on one platform. In the cloud based version we have to log in and log out to go from one location to the other. It has definitely slowed our productivity.

Cons

It is slow, cumbersome and the reports that we were led to believe to be available are not part of this version. All excel reports have to be reformatted.

Ashley D.

Reviewed on 15/10/2018

Best to use for financial planning!

Pros

This comes in handy when we want to project a budget for the next few years. It allows us to make comparisons from our current and past years to see where we need to make changes etc. It also helps when we want to share the data collected and share them with our staff that isn't necessarily financial people, it helps make it clear for them.

Cons

The grant accounting is a great tool, just not one that we actively use at our non-profit. I would love to do more with this in the future.

Stephen E.

Reviewed on 04/12/2015

Positive Experience

Pros

It does what I need it to. The AP system is easy to navigate and allows for ease when cutting checks. The Cash Receipts module allows for easy recording of deposits. The General Ledger module is easy to navigate and report from.

Cons

Downloading reports. I do not like the way that reports download or the format when exporting to Excel. The uploading features are good, but again, it would be better if you didn't have to use a separate portal.

Nancy Y.

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Love It.

Pros

That I can use it anywhere, from any computer. It is easy to use and the what's new let's me know when new stuff happens.

Cons

Takes too long for all of the things I need to be developed. I don't use FE NXT, I just use RE NXT.

Steph U.

Reviewed on 17/02/2017

NXTers on the wagon

We jumped on the NXT wagon when it first came out. The product was still being developed, but at the same time we were able to provide input and feedback on how we would use the product.

Pros

Web access

Cons

Limited day to day input functionality

Deenah M.

Reviewed on 13/11/2014

The best nonprofit accounting software

Pros

It's easy to navigate within all the modules of the software.

Cons

There is nothing that I have come across that I don't like about this software.

Mary T.

Reviewed on 30/09/2014

I have 11 years experience working with FE

Pros

The support is the best in the industry, and the software is intuitive.

Cons

Other than the expense and timing out of Citrix, I am very pleased with the product.