Sage Accounting Reviews

4.2

4.2

About Sage Accounting

Sage Business Cloud Accounting is a cloud-based accounting and invoice management solution for small businesses. It offers core accounting, project accounting, expense management and compliance management within a suite. Sage...

4.1

Phil
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 05/03/2024

Accounting For The Small Business

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive and with great reporting tools that allow me to keep on top of my business performance. Invoicing to clients, profit and loss reports, VAT returns, keep up to date on cash flow and knowing how my business is performing every day

Cons

I want to be able to compare this YTD performance with LYTD performance and that isn't possible to do

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

Easy of use and the simplicity of installing it for the first time
Rendani
Rendani
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 28/06/2021

Sage Business Cloud Accounting review

Capability to meet the objectives of the finance department while also making the workflow much easier in terms of maximizing efficiency

Pros

The installation and implementation procedures are straightforward. I like how easy the features are to use, even for non-accountants. It enables clients and colleagues to share files in real-time, saving time and eliminating the need to send invoices via email. This streamlines and lowers the cost of debtor management. When one is on the go, having access via a mobile device is extremely useful. The software is also reasonably priced, and it includes a free trial period. Sage's customer service is excellent.

Cons

One suggestion is that when adding a new Item from the Invoice screen, the new Item screen includes all features (such as selecting the Purchase account). You must currently exit the Invoice, create a new Item, and then return to the Invoice.

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

We were able to combine our accounting and payroll systems by using Sage One. It enables us to manage our accounts from any location and using any device. It also relieved us of the responsibility of backing up and protecting our financial records.
Sandra

Reviewed on 30/04/2024

Sage accounting

Love it, it’s helped me loads and so easy to use, need help sage are always there and helps every time,

Pros

Banking helps so much, reconcile is easy to do. Invoices help keep up to date on payments

Cons

Having to put all the customers in with all there details,

Top Sage Accounting Alternatives

Peter

Reviewed on 12/03/2024

Sage Opinion

Not overly impressed

Pros

Standard procedures necessary for a small business.

Cons

See comments above. It is impossible to communicate by e-mail. Have wanted to send details of Sage invoice payments to Credit and Collection Department but without success. They have threatened cancellation because of perceived non payment of a couple of pounds.

QuickBooks Online and Xero

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

Did not want North Americanisation. Thought it was a good idea at the time.
Denise
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 12/03/2024

Great Accounts package for every business

Having used several different accounts packages my experience with Sage has gone very well, the initial transition was a little tricky as with any package when switching across but once set up soon got to know way round the package, able to set up ledger names that we wished to use. Excellent customer support with very experienced advisors who offer second to none service when assisting with issues. I am happy with our Sage package and will continue to use most definitely.

Pros

Sage is very user friendly, great customer support always on hand to assist with any issues. Clear and concise ledgers and reports, can set up pretty much how the company wants opting for specific names ledgers. Saves time as Accountants can access the accounts to prepare end of year saving time. Good all round package especially for the smaller business.

Cons

To be honest there is not much not to like about Sage, some of the invoicing elements bit clunky for example if you need to change Clients name on a specific invoice no facility to do this at source rather than go back into Customer record, lot of columns look messy if a balance if not being out on each line. Would also be advantageous to prepare delivery notes prior to invoicing as in our business goods are often sent before invoicing especially for Clients on account. Found the Stripe a little complicated having to download CSV from Bank Account, however currently do not use this facility.

Audrey

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

I really wanted this to work

Unfortunately my experience was poor. I loved their desktop program and really wanted to love their cloud solution just as much.

Pros

I love cloud solutions and the reports from this would have been nice.

Cons

I was hit with what seemed like every road block as I tried to switch from my Sage Desktop program into their cloud program. Customer Support was lacking and I ended up joining a Facebook support group of other accountant/bookkeepers making a similar switch. In the end I had to make the decision to let it go or loose my productivity.

FreshBooks and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Sage Accounting

I mainly used Sage 50cloud for it's desktop features and felt the cloud connectivity was lacking.

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

I signed up to be a part of the beta testing. I was hoping the migration of data would have gone smoothly from one Sage program to the next with data lose.
Gene
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Reviewed on 15/03/2024

Peachtree to Sage...A long history!

In the end, we sold the business and Sage was discontinued.

Pros

Sage was Peachtree Accounting software at the beginning. No internet available. Many startup accounting packages becoming available and we picked Peachtree on belief that it was a good starting company and would succeed. We used Peachtree and later Sage for some 20+ years.

Cons

Sage was a drop in service from Peachtree. Afterwards, it was always decreasing in support. Hard to discuss any topic or correct software problems. Lack of service and support.They were all about charging you for any conversation... insensitive till it got to the point of their interfering created more problems on their mission to boost revenue. We used the same package every year for stability!

Liam
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 15/05/2024

Easy accounting

Pros

From my point of view, Sage Accounting worth every penny. It was easy to deploy and use even with a little help from the support team, which by the way does a great job. Getting the weekly/monthly reports is easy.

Cons

Is not perfect, there were a few flaws but were resolved.

Andrea

Reviewed on 29/04/2024

Sage Accounting for every day

I use sage for my own practice, for my husband's business and I have 34 clients where I am the invited Accountant. This system is well designed to make accounting easier.

Pros

It is easy to set up and use. Because it is an online system it can be accessed anywhere anytime.

Cons

They do have some issues with slow or degradation but have been working on this. Also billing department is not easy to contact so have had issues there

Fanny
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Reviewed on 02/05/2024

User experience

Pros

In the cloud that can be access anywhere.

Cons

Can't think of anything yet. So far so good.

• Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Really Easy Software for Non-Accountants

I honestly, couldn't imagine running my business without it. It's such an integral part of my business and frees up my time so that I can focus on other things. Truly outstanding!

Pros

I love the usability of this product. As a non-accountant, I feel able to easily keep track of my small business accounts with Sage Business Cloud Accounting. Plus, if ever there is a time where I don't know something and my accountant isn't available, the Sage help is excellent. I love the new addition of the Sage University which is going to be a real help in training my team.

Cons

I feel that for me personally, the cash flow forecasting is a bit complicated, but I'll admit I haven't fully explored this side of things, I tend to do all my budgeting on a spreadsheet but it would be handy to have it integrated with my accounts. Maybe a section that can look at the P&Ls for past years and recommend budgets for the months, quarters and year ahead. Again, it's not something I've fully looked into so it may already exist on the platform.

QuickBooks Online and Xero

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

It was recommended to me by my accountant who was already using the software for some other clients and after trialling it, I found it great.
Jason
Jason
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 22/09/2021

Cloud Accounting Package that is easy to use with limitations

Overall for our purposes the software is easy to setup and use. I like the ability to access it anywhere and the ability to attach documents to transactions in the system. Modifying the chart of accounts was easy but the lack of customization on the layout of financial statements is frustrating.

Pros

We have used the software version of sage products such as Sage Business Works and Sage 50 so the product and company are familiar to us. The ability to login to the software from anywhere and to no longer have to have client/server environment is great. The software was easy to signup for and was relatively easy to implement.

Cons

There are 2 large cons to this software in comparison to it's direct competitors.
Con #1: The package has no ability to custom group GL accounts. So for example, if you have a section on your income statement for sales and you want to group sales by category and have a sub-total for that sales section you cannot do that. There is really no ability to edit the income statement layout or the balance sheet layout to add in sections and sub totals so you are stuck with the canned version of the software.

Con #2: In an environment where you have multiple small companies, you look after you cannot have one userid and password to access all the companies. You have to setup each company with it's own userid an password then invite another user via an email link to join.

Reasons for Choosing Sage Accounting

We made the switch as we wanted to get away from a client/server based software solution and wanted a cloud based solution.

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

Our thought was to stay with the same company thinking that the transition would be easier and we had been happy with their other product offerings in the past. The user interface also was easy to understand and utilize in comparison to quick books an xero accounting as we were already familiar with how Sage products work overall.
Gustav
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 06/05/2021

One of my best investments yet.

First of all i had no accounting software, no quoting and invoicing software. so this just makes my document presentation just that much more professional looking. also i only have to do the basic, and it does the rest for me.

Pros

As a non accounting person, i found this software to be just what the tax man ordered in terms of financial accountability features. it's so easy and and intuitive to use, i was able to get started on the first day and even issued a quote to a client.

Cons

well, i had trouble linking my business bank account to the software, but that could be the bank...

Reasons for Choosing Sage Accounting

Sage was cost effective and charges in local currency which makes it cheaper, whilst also offering more features.

YourTradebase

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

Sage has an incredible track record and support, plus it was cheaper.
Eugenio

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

a tool to trust if there is budget for it

very good, all the accounting department can work with it.

Pros

the robustness of the software, it does not save locally any file, is connecting to the server for every query.

Cons

the price is very high, the company need to be bigger to be able to pay this software, the customer service is not very good in the it section, they are accountants.

MNprogram

Reasons for Choosing Sage Accounting

because we needed better support

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

because mn program was not able to start the fiscal year in june as we need, it only accepts january december accounting period.
Bruno
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 22/07/2021

Sage could accounting - innovative solution

Incredible experience, easy to use and helpful to develop the business.

Pros

Sage Business Cloud Accounting is an innovative solution based on the sage software that allows to combine the original one with the cloud solution, as future and digital transformations needs.

Cons

The software is quite expensive if companies does not needs all features presented.

Allan

Reviewed on 06/02/2024

Simple to use Finance System

Pros

My usage was primary the reporting side (expenses were imported automatically) and it was great for tracking our teams spend vs budget each month

Cons

It took 24 hours to refresh the data, however that wasn't a sage issue, but our intergration

Alan

Reviewed on 09/11/2017

Possibly the best accounting software we've ever used

Using Sage One allowed us to combine our Accounts and Payroll systems into one. It makes it easy to manage our accounts from any location and on any device. It also removed the worry of backing up and securing our accounts records.

Pros

The fact that Sage One is cloud based, is probably the best feature. No more endless backups and annoying updates to perform. Everything is taken care of and the support team are amazing. It's also simple to grant access to your Accountant, who can then do whatever that need to when it's your year end etc.

A very clear interface provides an overview of your current situation and makes it easy for you to do your everyday tasks like entering and raising invoices, or checking who owes you money. You can easily produces account statements and everything can be emailed straight to your customers, so far less physical paperwork.

Cons

The Invoicing template choices are limited, but with a bit of creativity, you can definitely make something you can work with. The thing that needs the most attention is the method by which invoices and statements are emailed out. they appear to be from the email address you give the system, but are sent by Sage. Consequently, some clients weren't receiving their emails. We just turn any invoices into PDF's and email them ourselves. No big deal as we are still paperless, but it would be nice if we didn't have to. hopefully something that will be addressed on a future update.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Sage Business Cloud Accounting- easy accounting software

One thing I have to point out is that Sage customer service is quick to respond and even offers helpful resources like podcasts and blogs to help improve usability. They are also open to receive feedback from users to improve, which I consider a good thing, since they listen to their users.

Pros

I have a couple of years using Sage Business Cloud Accounting and have had a generally good experience. I liked the interface with its intuitive and clean menus. Although I'm not an accounting professional, setting up accounts was easy. The platform is very easy to use, makes data entry easy and allows you to sync bank accounts for added convenience. Plus, it's perfect for small and medium-sized businesses, and you can even manage two-business accounts at the base price.

Cons

Something I don't like is that it doesn't have good integration with other software, the interface needs to be improved, since it becomes somewhat monotonous, the synchronization of bank information sometimes loads very slowly.

Matthew

Reviewed on 07/06/2019

Abysmal software and customer service experience

It appears as though Sage panicked when Xero and other cloud providers appeared in their market and so they rushed out a poor bit of software. They haven't developed it and so it is a long way behind its competitors, with basic functionality missing and a poor user interface. I have also had several problems with basic features (link the bank feed) which they have no idea how to resolve.

The customer support experience is also the slowest and most painful experience I have ever come across from a SaaS provider.

It is telling that they are slashing their prices at the same time Xero is able to raise theirs!

Pros

The only two good parts of the software are the discounted price and it clearly shows you how long until the end of your VAT period.

Cons

Unreliable
Very little development in the 6 years I have used it
Slow to do basic tasks
The interface isn't user-friendly
There is no way to take a back up your data
The customer service is slow - typical experience is 20+ min wait for live chat, no response to emails and 15+ wait for phone support (on a premium rate number)

Aaron
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 02/11/2016

Comparable Systems Cost Much, Much More

Built on the Salesforce platform so it can handle any number of users. Sage has initially targeted the small business segment with Live, however it is just as good for mid-market or enterprise. Consider the following features:

Capable of handling 1-1000+ users.
SAAS (hosted and browser-based) so no software to install. No server needed.
Multi-Company consolidation
Inter-Company transactions
Dimensional accounting
Multi-Currency
Multi-Language
Purchase Requisition/Approvals and Workflow
Easy setup but can be configured as complex as you want, it's a very open database if you choose to use it that way
Open API, integrates with many other web-based apps
Well integrated with SalesForce
Tablet and iPhone/Android apps

These types of features are typically only available in enterprise level software like Intacct, Acumatica, Financial Force, X3, NetSuite, Oracle or SAP. You won't find this in Quickbooks, Freshbooks, Xero, Sage 50 or any other entry-level system. There's always been Microsoft Dynamics, Sage 100/300/500, Epicor, Infor and others, but those aren't true cloud based/browser based systems, nor are they inexpensive. What's unique about Sage Live is that they've priced it to be affordable for most companies - starts at monthly for 2 users and 1 company. 2 users and 100 companies is only $$$d/month. That is ridiculously less expensive than the other enterprise level systems out there.

You can certainly use Sage Live as a small business, but the nice thing is that as you grow you can stay on the same system and not feel the need to change. If you are a mid-sized or large company, you owe it to yourself to take a look at Live before you make a decision on spending lots more money for perhaps the same thing.

Cons

It has only been around for 3 years, so it's not as fully developed as some more mature offerings out there. They are adding new stuff all the time but you might find some features missing that you are used to.

Paddington

Reviewed on 20/09/2022

My honest opinion about Sage Cloud Accounting

It was a bit effective and allowed me to make my work easy even though I had to learn to do things differently from what I was used to

Pros

The software saved much time which made my work as a Junior accountant a bit easy. It also made it easy to track down errors that I made during inserting details and it was less time consuming to ractifiy the errors. It was aslo handy for Financial Reporting to investors and the report must be straightforward and reasonable.

Cons

The software needs to be tailored to fit to small and medium sized businesses. The Bank reconciliations system calculation can be consfusing at first which can stop other users from using it

Catherine

Reviewed on 15/09/2023

Easy to Use, easy to understand and overall beneficial to the team

Pros

Easy to Use, easy to understand and overall beneficial to the team

Cons

None, we love the new system it has been an easy transition

Bhanu
Bhanu

Reviewed on 12/08/2019

GOOD EXPIRENCE

We use sage for accounting. The best thing is we can use sage cloud anywhere in the world. the software reminds us of the payments due for the customers. Then we can call our customers. It's easy to use. It saves time. If your computer will be crash then our all accounts are fully safe in the cloud-based sage. It's easy to use and access. When we need any help then the sage technician will fix the problem within few minutes on the call with remote access.

Pros

a few months ago we use the sage on the computer but if there any problem with the computer then our sage data not secure. Some time we lost lots of files as well. but when we subscribe Cloud service it's so much secure and easy. Our all data is fully secure on the sage cloud. The best thing is we can access anywhere in the world.

Cons

Nothing, when we need any help the sage technicians help me.

Tarryn

Reviewed on 13/05/2019

Good solution for the small business owner

Pros

It is fairly easy to use. It provides the basic needs of small business owners. Helps me with their tax prep needs

Cons

Navigation through the product isn't seamless

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

I was familiar from my corporate life
Karen

Reviewed on 30/01/2018

Almost has 100% of what we need as a growing business

Compliance, ability to integrate different aspects of financial company data.

Pros

User-friendly interface. Good dashboard view.
Collaboration with external agencies - HMRC, our accountant & book-keeper.
Functionality has increased alongside our needs as a growing business.
Cost-effective
Excellent customer support

Cons

No trace-ability of emails sent - only a Yes or No view of whether emails (invoices) have been sent.
Cannot export XL data to our Pension portal (Big booooo for the Sageone!)
No auto-generation of a reference number for purchases like there is sales?! This causes us issues!!
Only 1 user allowed to access Payroll platform for our subscription