Box Reviews

About Box

Simplify your tech stack and save on cost with the Content Cloud: a secure, easy-to-use platform built for the entire content lifecycle, from file creation and sharing, to co-editing, e-signature, classification, and retention....

4.2

Browse Box Reviews

5,356 of 5,356 reviews
Jolie
Jolie
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Organized and accessible

Box allows us to work collaboratively with teammates all over the world, both inside and outside our organization. The workflow is very smooth and we are able to make live updates to documents we work with regularly. The experience has been very positive and a big improvement over what we were using previously

Pros

Box has great storage capacity and many useful tools for editing and syncing items. It's a very flexible, scalable tool

Cons

We rely on Box so much that on the few occasions that it has gone down temporarily, we have been stuck until it's come back online. The good news is that this has happened only once or twice in 3+ years.

Google Docs

Reasons for Choosing Box

Cleaner interface, better user experience, more reliable & capable

Akinyemi
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 13/05/2024

Backup files to the cloud with Box!

Pros

Has made it easy for us to securely store files.
We can easily collaborate and share files and documents with others.
Also i like it’s strong security in the cloud.

Cons

It is great for secure file sharing and collaboration, nothing that I dislike towards it.

Caleb
Caleb
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 15/05/2020

May not be best for simple/typical uses

I am not a fan of Box's move towards pure network storage as default (Box Drive) from local storage (Box Sync). This seems unnecessary to me for individuals and small organizations. If you're sure network storage is the way to go for your organization, then Box could be a great choice. They have great branding and features selection if you fall within this category. Otherwise, I'm not sure why someone would give up the benefits of local storage. This is especially the case for individuals. (Note: there does appear to be an option to mark individual directories for offline storage, but in my understanding this has to be selected from a menu.)

This, together with a couple negative experiences with a buggy sync (see below), lead me to give 3/5 stars overall. But if you're sure network storage is the way to go, then I would probably give close to 5/5. I'm just not sure how many people will actually want to manage their files in this way.

Pros

I love the Box branding and aesthetic. It's a pleasant backdrop for day-to-day use. They have a lot of features on the enterprise front, and I can see they've put a lot of work into their business model.

Cons

(Note: This relates to Box Sync, which is the version that stores files locally on your device and backs them up on the cloud. This is in contrast to Box Drive, which stores on the network by default.)

There have been at least 2 occasions entire directories have disappeared from my local storage even though I did not delete them on any of my synced devices. In the most recent case, this was >50 GB across thousands of files. I had to figure out how to redownload them, which turned out to be a huge hassle in the online interface. Download size limits at 15 GB (or something on that order) prevented me from downloading the higher level directories all at once. The next best thing was making batch selections of files. This ended up being very nonintuitive and took me a long time to figure out (I had to go to a help board).

Another criticism is that Box Sync (apparently?) will be deprecated in the future. If, like me, you are uncomfortable with network storage as the default, then Box might not be the best choice for you. I understand this is their business model -- and I can't speak for everyone -- but to me the upsides of default network storage seem outweighed by their downsides for typical use cases.

Top Box Alternatives

Jeb
Jeb
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 27/03/2024

We use Box mostly for document backup

Overall I am a big fan of Box and will continue using it. It has saved my bacon a few times and to be honest it's my backup against being hacked and my data ransomed.

Pros

Box has been great for us for years. It's mainly a backup tool but has saved us many times. We try to back everything up once a week. I also really like the mobile app. In the beginning I was using it all the time to transfer stuff back and forth to and from my phone and computer.

Cons

The only thing I really don't like about Box is the limitation of the file size for transfer. I know I might be petty but it can be an inconvenience when we have large files.

Ahmed

Reviewed on 10/07/2024

Great cloud solution for daily use

Pros

The ease of use and the user friendly interphase, in addition to the mobile app which allows me to access or check a file from my phone.

Cons

The Mac version for the M1 chip crashes sometimes when compared to the windows version which is very stable.

• Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 13/01/2023

Solid cloud storage

I have mainly been using Box for document storage and on rare occasions have I used the file-sharing option so my experience with editing documents, collaboration, and the use of apps such as Zoom, Zapier, Airtable, etc. has been very limited so far.

Pros

The user interface in Box is one of the features I like the most since it mimics the user interface I am used to when working with local files and folders on my computer. You also get many options to interact with files and folders via right-click.

Cons

Depending on the computer and internet speed it can be a bit slow to work on in a browser. You can sync your Box account with your computer but it will save files and folders on your local hard drive. This will speed things up but you will not have the immediate benefit of features such as editing documents in the cloud.

• Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 07/07/2024

Easy to use Content management platform

Pros

It is a secure platform that provides a secure environment for my data and keeps everything safe. It does not sell or steal anything from our data like other cheap software available in the market. Its sync features work amazingly and uploads data in very little time. If I talk about the cost it is a cost-effective tool and provides premium type of services to not only me but also to all users of Box.

Cons

Box provides secure services, there is nothing to dislike about this tool. I appreciate its team for developing the great features that have created easiness in managing our precious data.

• Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 05/07/2024

Awesome product

Pros

I love how everything Is easy to find and in one place

Cons

Nothing that I don't like about box. It is my favorite software for document management

Emily
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 20/05/2024

Pros

I liked how easy Box was to use and to keep my files organized

Cons

It was just another software to keep track of. I prefer using other document storage software

• Industry: E-Learning
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 12/06/2024

A good files storage solution but lacks anything to make it really standout

I like the simplicity and ease of use of Box. If you are looking a simple and basic storage solution then I recommend Box.

Pros

Box is simple, intuitive and easy to use, and it is also relatively inexpensive when compared to the more mainstream file storage solutions.

Cons

There are no standout features that Box has that really differentiates itself. Anything Box has other file sharing solutions have as well.

Zahra
Zahra
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Stable Storage Solution

Its good, overall i have no complaints.

Pros

Its a stable solution. The free plan was good but we moved to Business because that's what we needed it for. So the mobile apps are good, desktop sync is instant and there are no hiccups involving security, privacy, sync, uploads and management

Cons

You can't really move your main folder of storage once it has been set up. I initially wanted it on Drive D, now I wish to move it, but Box doesn't allow it. I will need to uninstall and then reinstall the whole damn thing for the shift to take place. Dropbox didnt have this problem. Yes I use both.

OneDrive and Google Drive

Dropbox is expensive

Reasons for Switching to Box

Got free 50GB initially and then onwards it just stuck with us:) OneDrive seemed expensive too, but now we have Office 365 so OneDrive is part of it.
Hayley
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 22/02/2020

My Life Saver

Amazing. Box has helped transform my organization into a fully functioning team. We use this ALL the time. Any questions? Look on Box.

Pros

Box is honestly one of the greatest organizational tools out there. I use Box several times a day for all of my documents. Box has all major servers (Word, Excel, Notes, ect.) and you can upload anything to it! It also updates with real time and allows several viewers/editors at a time. This has been a MUST during executive meetings. We can also upload any music, video or picture files to share, which is essential for our industry. The ability to make several folders and organize data well is the key to using Box. I have almost transitioned out of using Google Docs completely.

Cons

Honestly, the only issue I have with box is sometimes there are loading issues when working on a file with the desktop. Also I can't find a way to delete old files that have been shared with another person that I don't want anymore.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 27/02/2021

Can't imagine running our business without Box

We used Dropbox for a number of years, and we found it very "fragile". Without good access to different levels of security for our team, we would often find files deleted or overwritten by inexperienced employees. Once, an employee using Dropbox's desktop app accidentally deleted our entire list of files and Dropbox had to restore (taking several days). That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we switched to Box and haven't looked back. It's secure, solid, excellent uptime, and does everything we need and more. Our company stores mission-critical contracts, source files, and other material, and it's locked down only to the appropriate users. We have nearly 7 TB of files from our company's history stored with Box and I sleep great at night knowing they're safe and secure.

Pros

The access levels for intra-company sharing are very granular, allowing us the ability to protect privileged information,

Cons

It's hard to be critical of this tool. Some of the features we never use (notes, for example) seem a little clunky, but I understand they're improving. Those are all secondary, however. The main product itself is unbeatable.

Kavya
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 14/01/2022

Probably my most used file management software

I've used this while working with a team at a startup and in graduate school now. Highly recommend for both collaboration as well as backing up document and cloud storage.

Pros

Box Sync is the first thing I'd recommend if you don't have that already. It sets up a folder on your local computer that you can treat as a folder just like 'Documents' and it syncs automatically when you're connected to wifi. I also like using Box Sync with Mendeley (reference manager) because it syncs all the docs in Mendeley into a single location on Box, which is great. I can make notes in the PDFs and it syncs into Mendeley so that I can see my comments there as well. The version control has saved my many times because every time you create a new version or save a document, it holds onto old versions. This way if you accidentally overwrite something, you can usually go back into Box online, look at previous versions, and restore the right one. It's also easy to use and isn't finicky like many software.

Cons

Unlike most of my software reviews, I don't have much to say for cons.

Reasons for Switching to Box

Box seems to have better version control and seems safer to use. You can create custom share links and get notified when your collaborator has accepted the request to collaborate.
Priyansh
Priyansh
  • Industry: Animation

Reviewed on 18/12/2022

A reliable and secure data storage solution for us

I have been using Box for my data storage needs for the past year and have been extremely impressed with the platform. Overall, I am extremely happy with my decision to use Box for my data storage needs. It has exceeded my expectations in every way and has greatly streamlined my workflow.

Pros

Not only is it user-friendly and intuitive, but it also offers top-notch security measures to protect my important files. The interface is straightforward and easy to navigate, making it simple to upload, organize, and share files. They offer a range of tools that make it easy to work with my team and clients, such as the ability to leave comments and track changes. They uses robus encryption and multiple layers of protection to ensure that my data is secure. Supports a wide range of file types, including documents, images, audio, and video, making it a versatile solution for all my data storage needs. The mobile app makes it easy to access my files on the go, which has been especially helpful during the pandemic when I've been working remotely.

Cons

However, there are a few cons to consider. One is that the pricing can be a bit steep for smaller businesses on a tight budget. Another is that the platform can be a bit slow at times, especially when uploading large files. Finally, there have been occasional issues with syncing, which can be frustrating when trying to access important files on the go.

Microsoft Azure

Reasons for Choosing Box

Better feature and integrations in Box. Also well known.
Przemek
Przemek

Reviewed on 02/08/2023

The best solution for content management

Overall I am very happy with the Box. I work with files for several hours every day and doing this with Box gives me a lot of satisfaction from smooth tasks. I would not replace Box with any other competitive tool such as OneDrive.

Pros

I really like that box controls versions of stored documents and stores all previous revisions. This makes it much easier to work with documents that require frequent updates by many people. The tool is very intuitive and easy to use. Controlling and granting access is not difficult. The adaptation of Box in my department was practically one day and did not cause any problems.

Cons

Box seems to be complete and it's hard to find any shortcomings, but I had a hard time integrating Box with GitHub and setting up file sharing. This required providing many settings that were not entirely clear and required clarification. Later, the process of approving these settings by Box took a while and I think this is the field for improvement.

Phoebe
Phoebe
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 06/04/2020

Great for Team Accessibility

Box is user-friendly which has allowed my team and I to overcome problems of needless time consumption. Research projects take up a lot of time because of the amount of data that needs to be uploaded and analyzed. However, Box has enabled my team to effectively work together and independently while maintaining the ethical guidelines of research.

Pros

As a tutor and a researcher, I love being able to upload videos of lesson plans and lectures so that my team and those I am working for are able to look back on what I said. Another thing I love about Box is how you can share multiple files with anyone you want and you are able to view who has downloaded something to maintain privacy and confidentiality. Box is especially useful for big groups of people. Everything is extremely accessible and easy to learn how to use. I recommend Box to my colleagues in research who want a safe way of maintaining confidentiality in research projects.

Cons

I do not have any problems with Box so far and I have been using Box for most of my college experience. I have used it for research, tutoring, and collaboration projects.

CK

Reviewed on 12/04/2021

Highly secure collaboration

Pros

Box has lots of integrations, which makes it easier to work with it within other tools without having to visit it in a browser. Outside of that, the main reason to choose Box is its security features. The web interface is clean and highly intuitive. It still is loaded with features to customize it for your users in anyway you want.

Cons

The big downside I see is the speed. This may be due to the level of security configured, but it's noticeable. There are also some UI design issues that require way too many clicks to get to what you need. However, these are for very infrequently used settings (such as finding out storage usage).

Reasons for Choosing Box

Needed more features, configuration control, security, and integrations.

Google Drive
Eugene
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 23/08/2016

Box - a secure, collaborative platform for all connected users

I've been been a Box customer for about four years. During that time we've gone from a limited POC to a large scale international rollout. We've found Box to be very responsive both from a support standpoint and in terms of listening to their customers regarding features and needs.
The primary reason we initially chose Box was because of the outstanding security framework which was at the core of the initial offering and continues to be a key focus for Box. The management and governance features allowed us to roll it out to a geographically diverse group of employees with the assurance that their data would be secure and would remain secure.
Our initial need was to centrally replicate data from an international location. Based on the success of that POC, we've been able to replicate that success in a number of international locations and delay or eliminate the need for physical systems and storage that had previously been a part of our technology deployment.

Pros

Security is still my favorite feature - I have the confidence that our data is secure and will remain secure. Box meets a number of US based and international security regulations and data compliance requirements, Box makes governance and compliance easy.
Notifications based on file changes or folder changes have allowed us to create "instant workflows" to quickly move data from a variety of locations in the hands of a number of users. This has allowed us to create a system where data is not only securely stored, but able to be quickly acted upon by a geographically diverse group of staff.
Rolling Box seats out to new users is easy, and Box makes a wide variety of training materials available to its users to help them leverage the features.

Cons

There's not much to dislike - the feature set is good and continues to grow. If there is a downside, it is that - like all cloud based solutions - connectivity is required, and that can sometimes be a challenge for my organization is some of the remote international locations where we work.

Bob
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 01/01/2017

Solid enterprise tool with surprising productivity and innovation gains

I run Box for over 100K users in a large university. Box is built for the enterprise. It has very solid security, good user management and an extremely small support footprint. There are consumer tools that might beat Box on some individual features, but cannot hold a candle to Box when held up to the needs and realities of a large enterprise. Box is platform and vendor agnostic. It has solid mobile apps and 3rd party integrations. The API is strong and improving all the time. Box can be the content layer for both internal and externally-facing applications.

We signed on to Box to bring our IP back in from consumer tools. It has largely accomplished that but it has additional surprising results. We've seen some very creative innovations in research collaboration, teaching and administration. The productivity gains have been far greater than expected.

Box is a bit of a paradigm shift for users. Those who never ventured into consumer cloud tools such as Dropbox need to learn about basic cloud concepts of where their data is backed up. IT professionals need to get their heads around Box's permission model as well as deal with the loss of direct user management and support. Having said that, the overall support footprint is startling low. We average 5 technical tickets a week on Box for over 100K users. Most of our support time is on training and consulting to help users get the most out of the tools Box provides.

The bottom line is that Box has proven to be very solid and flexible. Our users have really taken it and run with it.

Pros

Strong security. Data ownership model. Flexibility of collaboration and sharing options. Platform and vendor agnostic. Good administrative controls. Reasonably good reporting. Reasonably good APIs. Ease of use for end users. It's been great watching the creativity and innovation of the users. They've found ways to do things with Box we never imagined when we signed on.

Cons

The desktop sync is different than and technically inferior to that of Dropbox, the consumer tool most users are familiar with in this space. We anticipate this change when Box for Desktop is released in 2017. We'd also like to see the maximum file size increase. I'd like to see improvements in the administrative reporting. Many users have trouble getting their head around Box's waterfall permission model, particularly IT professionals. It's different than what they are used to. It ads an impediment to the retirement of NFS.

Kacie
Kacie

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Box is secure and can innovate industries from video to medical

I loved using Box for file management and editing. It saved me time and headaches. I only wish that my company had expanded its use and unleashed more of its capabilities.

Pros

Box is the simplest way for me to stay organized, share files with others and ensure that my data is secure. The user experience is easy to understand. It's simple to invite others at a variety of permission levels (somer colleagues to view only, others to download, others to have full editing capability). Syncing on multiple devices is a snap.

But when I attended BoxWorks for training, I realized that one of the best advantages to using Box is the company's relationships with large, high-profile, reputable companies that provide tech integrations. One plug-in takes my raw video footage and auto-generates a searchable log of all dialogue. So I can search for every time an actor says a certain word. The AI even allows me to search for visual cues - one conservation team was able to just search "penguin," and then all their footage from across the world was sorted through in order to allow their video editors to find exactly the footage they needed for their next project.

Box Relay allows you to create workflows with different steps assigned to different teammates. So when you complete your action, the next person is automatically notified that they can begin the next step.

Present state is impressive. But I have a feeling we'll see even greater things to come.

Cons

It took me awhile to think of anything negative to say. The max file size on the more affordable subscription options is perhaps the only drawback I can think of.

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 28/08/2022

Good for off site back up, I tend to use Sync for the day-to-day though

Overall, they are OK for stuff that I've encrypted myself and just want to have a redundant backup. I really should figure out how to use amazon glacier for that, but box makes it too easy and cheap. There's only so many hours in the day.

Pros

I like that this software just works without a bunch of hassle. I also like that box is not, to my knowledge, google or microsoft. No need to have either of them snooping through my files. At the time I switched from dropbox, I was very happy that box wasn't dropbox. I think Box used to have faster pipes than Sync but am not so sure anymore.

Cons

I think that Sync.com has a better product for my day-to-day. All I really want is secure storage and for all my computers to sync up certain directories. I don't want to ever doubt that every file is synced onto every computer. I left dropbox because their smartsync made me wonder if I was getting what I wanted. I think Sync is the company that is most focused on giving me exactly what I want. Box is OK, but they aren't focused on the precise thing I'm after. That makes me worry that they are going to go the dropbox route and try to some "smart" thing that makes them useless to me. Also, there was the box hacker exploit discovered in 2019. I think that's when I moved important stuff to Sync.

Mona
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 12/09/2022

4 in 1

This experience has left me feeling mostly satisfied and impressed with Box.
They have a great idea here and it saves time in a variety of situations. For me having a document already imported saves a lot of time, I don’t have to go and search for it or try and remember where it’s stored. If I have a question I can ask and receive an answer without leaving Box.

Pros

This is one of the best because it’s like having 4 in 1. Cloud management, collaboration, assignment schedule, and electronic signature with Box Sign.
It’s not too expensive and all the things I get are used daily.
It couldn’t be easier to use for electronic signatures, the documents are already in Box so I don’t need to send them out. I don’t have to directly share something for others to see it, but I can share directly if I want to and it’s easy. There is a message board that can be kept open and assignments can be created and scheduled.
Box can open Adobe or PDF, Word, and Google Docs files, it’s opened or read all files I’ve imported.
This is secure enough to use for legal documents or client records, it’s protected with encryption and requires little monitoring.

Cons

Box Sign is easy to use but it’s not as good as it could be.
I don’t think the cloud storage management is the best, the other ladies at the office agree. File versions became lost and the overall manner of storing wasn’t great.

This has more for less

OneDrive

Because of Box Sign and messaging
Manmohan
  • Industry: Graphic Design
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 19/02/2023

A Must-Have for Efficient File Management

As a professional who deals with countless files and documents every day, I have come to rely on "Box" software for efficient file management. This cloud-based platform has made it incredibly easy for me to store, organize and access all my files from any device, anywhere, anytime.One of the things I love most about Box is its simple yet intuitive interface. It's incredibly easy to upload files, create folders and share them with colleagues, clients, or partners. With the ability to set permissions and access levels, I can control who sees what, and ensure that my files are always secure.Another feature that makes Box stand out is its collaboration tools. With the ability to comment, edit and work on files in real time, I can easily collaborate with team members on projects, without having to worry about version control or conflicts.Box also offers a range of integrations with other tools I use on a daily basis, such as Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Salesforce, and more. This seamless integration has made my workflow much more efficient and streamlined.Overall, I highly recommend Box software to anyone looking for a reliable, secure, and user-friendly platform for file management. Its robust features, ease of use, and flexible pricing options make it a top choice for businesses of all sizes.

Pros

1. User-Friendly Interface: Many users appreciate the easy-to-use and intuitive interface of Box software. It makes it simple to upload and organize files, create folders, and share files with others.2. Collaboration Tools: The collaboration tools provided by Box software make it easier for users to work on files in real time. Users can leave comments, edit files, and work on projects with team members without worrying about version control or conflicts.3. Integrations with Other Tools: Box software seamlessly integrates with other tools like Google Drive, Salesforce, and Microsoft Office, which is helpful for users who use those tools regularly. This allows users to work more efficiently and streamline their workflow.

Cons

1. Limited free storage: The free version of Box only offers 10GB of storage, which might not be enough for some users. The pricing plans for additional storage can also be a bit pricey compared to other cloud storage options.2. No file syncing: Unlike other cloud storage solutions, Box does not have a native syncing feature. This means that files must be manually uploaded or downloaded each time, which can be time-consuming.3. Steep learning curve: While the interface is intuitive, some users may find the advanced features and customization options a bit complex to navigate at first. It may take some time to get used to the software's full capabilities.

Nikitah
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 06/08/2018

Box

All in all, Box has proven substantially beneficial for the university and for faculty to access materials of a general nature in a more efficient way and though I have not seen the actual numbers myself, I suspect that offloading all of the staff time and energy that went into maintaining and training people to monitored those previous on-campus servers was a price efficient move as well. Equally important in a time of fiscal belt-tightening.

Pros

My university decided to replace its archaic system of various collective departmental, college, and institution drives and servers with Box. It is a thousand times easier to access from a variety of locations, at almost any time, using almost any communicative medium you wish to employ. In the 21st century the modern mobile educational facility and educator lives and dies on the capacity to not just amass data and research and information but also to retrieve and manipulate it at remote locales in a secure, rapid way.

Cons

The biggest challenge is that Box has, like many modern softwares, engineered a number of plug ins. I have found that the reliability and functionality of these varies. for example, the general BoxSync application works perfectly but then there is a Box application for Windows 8 and another for Windows 10 which are "store apps" which are not as good at syncing and it is possible you might have both kinds of applications on your machine and that is rather confusing for the user since they have different interfaces and the syncing between them is not as transparent as one might expect. There is a page of these plugins and their descriptions overlap substantially and so it's not always clear which application you should employ in conjunction with your general Box.