Box Reviews

About Box

Simplify your tech stack and save on cost with the Content Cloud: a secure, easy-to-use platform built for the entire content lifecycle, from file creation and sharing, to co-editing, e-signature, classification, and retention....

4.2

Browse Box Reviews

5,335 of 5,335 reviews
Jolie
Jolie
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Organized and accessible

Box allows us to work collaboratively with teammates all over the world, both inside and outside our organization. The workflow is very smooth and we are able to make live updates to documents we work with regularly. The experience has been very positive and a big improvement over what we were using previously

Pros

Box has great storage capacity and many useful tools for editing and syncing items. It's a very flexible, scalable tool

Cons

We rely on Box so much that on the few occasions that it has gone down temporarily, we have been stuck until it's come back online. The good news is that this has happened only once or twice in 3+ years.

Google Docs

Reasons for Choosing Box

Cleaner interface, better user experience, more reliable & capable

Chisom

Reviewed on 05/05/2024

My overall Insight with Box.

With Box,it is simple to organize and manage files and documents.

Pros

It is simple to store files and documents securely with Box.Again,I can quickly share files and documents with Box.It is simple to search and access documents and files quickly.

Cons

So far,I haven't experienced any difficulties with Box as it meets my needs.

Timothy
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 30/07/2019

Customers not important to box

Discontinuing service. See above.

Pros

Unlimitedspace. With no extra charge. Multiple file types supported

Cons

We had requested flexibility on our licenses since our staff increases and reduces between 90-100 people.

Our admin accidentally added licenses before removing some leavers resulting in an accidental increase in the licenses.

Box would not reduce the number by 3 licenses even though this was a clear mistake.

They tried to make us pay for the remaining period of our 3 year contract. This resulted in a waste of several thousand dollars when we were in cost reduction mode.

Canceling. There are many equivalent services with better customer support and lower pricing.

Microsoft SharePoint, Dropbox Business and M-Files

Usability

Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Switching to Box

We will go ack to sharepoint.

Top Box Alternatives

Rhia Roxanne
  • Industry: E-Learning
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 09/02/2024

Organising Tons of Large Files

Pros

That it's easy to use from different gadgets - laptop, mobile and easy enough to use. I also like that it is not hard to share it with different types of emails whether for work, personal unlike others.

Cons

I can't think of any because most of it's features are really similar others. Apart of course from it's diffirentiator.

Microsoft SharePoint, Dropbox Business and OneDrive

Reasons for Choosing Box

It was hard to collaborate with external partners and sometimes they have a hard time accessing sometimes due to their email address.

Reasons for Switching to Box

Ease of access for different users like internal team, external partners, and even clients. Also, it's very easy to use.
Akinyemi

Reviewed on 13/05/2024

Backup files to the cloud with Box!

Pros

Has made it easy for us to securely store files.
We can easily collaborate and share files and documents with others.
Also i like it’s strong security in the cloud.

Cons

It is great for secure file sharing and collaboration, nothing that I dislike towards it.

Leslie Anne

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Document Management using Box

My overall experience in using Box was superb.

Pros

I've been a Box user for about 2 years now and I could say that I really had an excellent experience in using Box because it allows me to work and save my files without worrying about the storage getting full and even if you lost your internet connection while working you can still recover it once the connection comes back. Also, Box is accessible through Mobile phone so it's very convenient when you have something to check on your files and you forgot to bring a laptop. Box is highly recommended, it's the best so far!

Cons

Nothing at all because all the features of Box was all useful.

• Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 03/05/2024

Box the great tool to keep your files secure

Pros

1. File Sharing and Collaboration 2. Security and Compliance

Cons

The box notes could be more accessible and they are not really used by our clients.

Will
  • Industry: Capital Markets

Reviewed on 07/05/2024

Review of Box

Pros

It is easy to share files with vendors and buyers. Easy to utilize.

Cons

I would prefer a better summary of groups with access and their views.

Sam

Reviewed on 31/03/2024

Easy to Use

Overall, very good. We could share large documents for productive collaboration.

Pros

Sharing large documents with contributors in and out of our school district was easy.

Cons

It was hard to get all contributors edit access.

Emily
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 20/05/2024

Pros

I liked how easy Box was to use and to keep my files organized

Cons

It was just another software to keep track of. I prefer using other document storage software

Zahra
Zahra
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Stable Storage Solution

Its good, overall i have no complaints.

Pros

Its a stable solution. The free plan was good but we moved to Business because that's what we needed it for. So the mobile apps are good, desktop sync is instant and there are no hiccups involving security, privacy, sync, uploads and management

Cons

You can't really move your main folder of storage once it has been set up. I initially wanted it on Drive D, now I wish to move it, but Box doesn't allow it. I will need to uninstall and then reinstall the whole damn thing for the shift to take place. Dropbox didnt have this problem. Yes I use both.

OneDrive and Google Drive

Dropbox is expensive

Reasons for Switching to Box

Got free 50GB initially and then onwards it just stuck with us:) OneDrive seemed expensive too, but now we have Office 365 so OneDrive is part of it.
Hayley
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 22/02/2020

My Life Saver

Amazing. Box has helped transform my organization into a fully functioning team. We use this ALL the time. Any questions? Look on Box.

Pros

Box is honestly one of the greatest organizational tools out there. I use Box several times a day for all of my documents. Box has all major servers (Word, Excel, Notes, ect.) and you can upload anything to it! It also updates with real time and allows several viewers/editors at a time. This has been a MUST during executive meetings. We can also upload any music, video or picture files to share, which is essential for our industry. The ability to make several folders and organize data well is the key to using Box. I have almost transitioned out of using Google Docs completely.

Cons

Honestly, the only issue I have with box is sometimes there are loading issues when working on a file with the desktop. Also I can't find a way to delete old files that have been shared with another person that I don't want anymore.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 27/02/2021

Can't imagine running our business without Box

We used Dropbox for a number of years, and we found it very "fragile". Without good access to different levels of security for our team, we would often find files deleted or overwritten by inexperienced employees. Once, an employee using Dropbox's desktop app accidentally deleted our entire list of files and Dropbox had to restore (taking several days). That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we switched to Box and haven't looked back. It's secure, solid, excellent uptime, and does everything we need and more. Our company stores mission-critical contracts, source files, and other material, and it's locked down only to the appropriate users. We have nearly 7 TB of files from our company's history stored with Box and I sleep great at night knowing they're safe and secure.

Pros

The access levels for intra-company sharing are very granular, allowing us the ability to protect privileged information,

Cons

It's hard to be critical of this tool. Some of the features we never use (notes, for example) seem a little clunky, but I understand they're improving. Those are all secondary, however. The main product itself is unbeatable.

Kavya
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 14/01/2022

Probably my most used file management software

I've used this while working with a team at a startup and in graduate school now. Highly recommend for both collaboration as well as backing up document and cloud storage.

Pros

Box Sync is the first thing I'd recommend if you don't have that already. It sets up a folder on your local computer that you can treat as a folder just like 'Documents' and it syncs automatically when you're connected to wifi. I also like using Box Sync with Mendeley (reference manager) because it syncs all the docs in Mendeley into a single location on Box, which is great. I can make notes in the PDFs and it syncs into Mendeley so that I can see my comments there as well. The version control has saved my many times because every time you create a new version or save a document, it holds onto old versions. This way if you accidentally overwrite something, you can usually go back into Box online, look at previous versions, and restore the right one. It's also easy to use and isn't finicky like many software.

Cons

Unlike most of my software reviews, I don't have much to say for cons.

Reasons for Switching to Box

Box seems to have better version control and seems safer to use. You can create custom share links and get notified when your collaborator has accepted the request to collaborate.
Jill

Reviewed on 29/09/2022

Box is serving as our One Source for all Collaborative Work

Box has been a positive and timely addition to the tools we use. We moved to Box just prior to the pandemic and it has become a staple for our now hybrid workteams.

Pros

Documents are easily stored and shared through our disbursed team. Having Box eliminates the need to keep local copies of important documents and allow for better control of versions. We have moved all of our Work Instructions and forms to Box for use within our Finance Team and for use by all company members. You can restrict access to ensure only those who need access can have it.

Cons

One thing it took us a while to get the hang of, is locking a shared document while we are updating it. If you don't lock the document, multiple people can access it and update it at the same time. Only upon saving would the team members learn that that we now have multiple copies of the same document and that none of them would be accurate.

Mohammad
Mohammad
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 01/01/2023

A Cost-effective, Robust Cloud Service

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the service & I'll keep on using it given how it's plays a crucial role in my productivity.

Pros

Box simplifies the process of backing up, managing & editing my files on the go from my office or home computer or from my phone. It's fast, reliable & offers a plethora of features that are presented upfront on the software's user interface, rather than being hidden inside layers of sub-menus. I'm a big fan of scheduled backups where after-work hours, Box can simply start backing up specific directories on my PC instead of manually doing the labour of transferring data locally to a slow, external drive. In short, convenience is what Box brings to the table.

Cons

As of the last mobile update, I'm noticing that the upload rate has dropped a little bit. I have a decent 5G router with a stable & speedy connection, so I don't really think my internet is the culprit here. Desktop & web versions work fine though.

Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Box

For the monthly price & features Box had to offer, I'd say it was way more compelling than the considered alternatives.
Przemek
Przemek

Reviewed on 02/08/2023

The best solution for content management

Overall I am very happy with the Box. I work with files for several hours every day and doing this with Box gives me a lot of satisfaction from smooth tasks. I would not replace Box with any other competitive tool such as OneDrive.

Pros

I really like that box controls versions of stored documents and stores all previous revisions. This makes it much easier to work with documents that require frequent updates by many people. The tool is very intuitive and easy to use. Controlling and granting access is not difficult. The adaptation of Box in my department was practically one day and did not cause any problems.

Cons

Box seems to be complete and it's hard to find any shortcomings, but I had a hard time integrating Box with GitHub and setting up file sharing. This required providing many settings that were not entirely clear and required clarification. Later, the process of approving these settings by Box took a while and I think this is the field for improvement.

Phoebe
Phoebe
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 06/04/2020

Great for Team Accessibility

Box is user-friendly which has allowed my team and I to overcome problems of needless time consumption. Research projects take up a lot of time because of the amount of data that needs to be uploaded and analyzed. However, Box has enabled my team to effectively work together and independently while maintaining the ethical guidelines of research.

Pros

As a tutor and a researcher, I love being able to upload videos of lesson plans and lectures so that my team and those I am working for are able to look back on what I said. Another thing I love about Box is how you can share multiple files with anyone you want and you are able to view who has downloaded something to maintain privacy and confidentiality. Box is especially useful for big groups of people. Everything is extremely accessible and easy to learn how to use. I recommend Box to my colleagues in research who want a safe way of maintaining confidentiality in research projects.

Cons

I do not have any problems with Box so far and I have been using Box for most of my college experience. I have used it for research, tutoring, and collaboration projects.

CK

Reviewed on 12/04/2021

Highly secure collaboration

Pros

Box has lots of integrations, which makes it easier to work with it within other tools without having to visit it in a browser. Outside of that, the main reason to choose Box is its security features. The web interface is clean and highly intuitive. It still is loaded with features to customize it for your users in anyway you want.

Cons

The big downside I see is the speed. This may be due to the level of security configured, but it's noticeable. There are also some UI design issues that require way too many clicks to get to what you need. However, these are for very infrequently used settings (such as finding out storage usage).

Reasons for Choosing Box

Needed more features, configuration control, security, and integrations.

Google Drive
Eugene
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 23/08/2016

Box - a secure, collaborative platform for all connected users

I've been been a Box customer for about four years. During that time we've gone from a limited POC to a large scale international rollout. We've found Box to be very responsive both from a support standpoint and in terms of listening to their customers regarding features and needs.
The primary reason we initially chose Box was because of the outstanding security framework which was at the core of the initial offering and continues to be a key focus for Box. The management and governance features allowed us to roll it out to a geographically diverse group of employees with the assurance that their data would be secure and would remain secure.
Our initial need was to centrally replicate data from an international location. Based on the success of that POC, we've been able to replicate that success in a number of international locations and delay or eliminate the need for physical systems and storage that had previously been a part of our technology deployment.

Pros

Security is still my favorite feature - I have the confidence that our data is secure and will remain secure. Box meets a number of US based and international security regulations and data compliance requirements, Box makes governance and compliance easy.
Notifications based on file changes or folder changes have allowed us to create "instant workflows" to quickly move data from a variety of locations in the hands of a number of users. This has allowed us to create a system where data is not only securely stored, but able to be quickly acted upon by a geographically diverse group of staff.
Rolling Box seats out to new users is easy, and Box makes a wide variety of training materials available to its users to help them leverage the features.

Cons

There's not much to dislike - the feature set is good and continues to grow. If there is a downside, it is that - like all cloud based solutions - connectivity is required, and that can sometimes be a challenge for my organization is some of the remote international locations where we work.

Bob
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 01/01/2017

Solid enterprise tool with surprising productivity and innovation gains

I run Box for over 100K users in a large university. Box is built for the enterprise. It has very solid security, good user management and an extremely small support footprint. There are consumer tools that might beat Box on some individual features, but cannot hold a candle to Box when held up to the needs and realities of a large enterprise. Box is platform and vendor agnostic. It has solid mobile apps and 3rd party integrations. The API is strong and improving all the time. Box can be the content layer for both internal and externally-facing applications.

We signed on to Box to bring our IP back in from consumer tools. It has largely accomplished that but it has additional surprising results. We've seen some very creative innovations in research collaboration, teaching and administration. The productivity gains have been far greater than expected.

Box is a bit of a paradigm shift for users. Those who never ventured into consumer cloud tools such as Dropbox need to learn about basic cloud concepts of where their data is backed up. IT professionals need to get their heads around Box's permission model as well as deal with the loss of direct user management and support. Having said that, the overall support footprint is startling low. We average 5 technical tickets a week on Box for over 100K users. Most of our support time is on training and consulting to help users get the most out of the tools Box provides.

The bottom line is that Box has proven to be very solid and flexible. Our users have really taken it and run with it.

Pros

Strong security. Data ownership model. Flexibility of collaboration and sharing options. Platform and vendor agnostic. Good administrative controls. Reasonably good reporting. Reasonably good APIs. Ease of use for end users. It's been great watching the creativity and innovation of the users. They've found ways to do things with Box we never imagined when we signed on.

Cons

The desktop sync is different than and technically inferior to that of Dropbox, the consumer tool most users are familiar with in this space. We anticipate this change when Box for Desktop is released in 2017. We'd also like to see the maximum file size increase. I'd like to see improvements in the administrative reporting. Many users have trouble getting their head around Box's waterfall permission model, particularly IT professionals. It's different than what they are used to. It ads an impediment to the retirement of NFS.

Kacie
Kacie

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Box is secure and can innovate industries from video to medical

I loved using Box for file management and editing. It saved me time and headaches. I only wish that my company had expanded its use and unleashed more of its capabilities.

Pros

Box is the simplest way for me to stay organized, share files with others and ensure that my data is secure. The user experience is easy to understand. It's simple to invite others at a variety of permission levels (somer colleagues to view only, others to download, others to have full editing capability). Syncing on multiple devices is a snap.

But when I attended BoxWorks for training, I realized that one of the best advantages to using Box is the company's relationships with large, high-profile, reputable companies that provide tech integrations. One plug-in takes my raw video footage and auto-generates a searchable log of all dialogue. So I can search for every time an actor says a certain word. The AI even allows me to search for visual cues - one conservation team was able to just search "penguin," and then all their footage from across the world was sorted through in order to allow their video editors to find exactly the footage they needed for their next project.

Box Relay allows you to create workflows with different steps assigned to different teammates. So when you complete your action, the next person is automatically notified that they can begin the next step.

Present state is impressive. But I have a feeling we'll see even greater things to come.

Cons

It took me awhile to think of anything negative to say. The max file size on the more affordable subscription options is perhaps the only drawback I can think of.

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 28/08/2022

Good for off site back up, I tend to use Sync for the day-to-day though

Overall, they are OK for stuff that I've encrypted myself and just want to have a redundant backup. I really should figure out how to use amazon glacier for that, but box makes it too easy and cheap. There's only so many hours in the day.

Pros

I like that this software just works without a bunch of hassle. I also like that box is not, to my knowledge, google or microsoft. No need to have either of them snooping through my files. At the time I switched from dropbox, I was very happy that box wasn't dropbox. I think Box used to have faster pipes than Sync but am not so sure anymore.

Cons

I think that Sync.com has a better product for my day-to-day. All I really want is secure storage and for all my computers to sync up certain directories. I don't want to ever doubt that every file is synced onto every computer. I left dropbox because their smartsync made me wonder if I was getting what I wanted. I think Sync is the company that is most focused on giving me exactly what I want. Box is OK, but they aren't focused on the precise thing I'm after. That makes me worry that they are going to go the dropbox route and try to some "smart" thing that makes them useless to me. Also, there was the box hacker exploit discovered in 2019. I think that's when I moved important stuff to Sync.

Manmohan
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 19/02/2023

A Must-Have for Efficient File Management

As a professional who deals with countless files and documents every day, I have come to rely on "Box" software for efficient file management. This cloud-based platform has made it incredibly easy for me to store, organize and access all my files from any device, anywhere, anytime.One of the things I love most about Box is its simple yet intuitive interface. It's incredibly easy to upload files, create folders and share them with colleagues, clients, or partners. With the ability to set permissions and access levels, I can control who sees what, and ensure that my files are always secure.Another feature that makes Box stand out is its collaboration tools. With the ability to comment, edit and work on files in real time, I can easily collaborate with team members on projects, without having to worry about version control or conflicts.Box also offers a range of integrations with other tools I use on a daily basis, such as Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Salesforce, and more. This seamless integration has made my workflow much more efficient and streamlined.Overall, I highly recommend Box software to anyone looking for a reliable, secure, and user-friendly platform for file management. Its robust features, ease of use, and flexible pricing options make it a top choice for businesses of all sizes.

Pros

1. User-Friendly Interface: Many users appreciate the easy-to-use and intuitive interface of Box software. It makes it simple to upload and organize files, create folders, and share files with others.2. Collaboration Tools: The collaboration tools provided by Box software make it easier for users to work on files in real time. Users can leave comments, edit files, and work on projects with team members without worrying about version control or conflicts.3. Integrations with Other Tools: Box software seamlessly integrates with other tools like Google Drive, Salesforce, and Microsoft Office, which is helpful for users who use those tools regularly. This allows users to work more efficiently and streamline their workflow.

Cons

1. Limited free storage: The free version of Box only offers 10GB of storage, which might not be enough for some users. The pricing plans for additional storage can also be a bit pricey compared to other cloud storage options.2. No file syncing: Unlike other cloud storage solutions, Box does not have a native syncing feature. This means that files must be manually uploaded or downloaded each time, which can be time-consuming.3. Steep learning curve: While the interface is intuitive, some users may find the advanced features and customization options a bit complex to navigate at first. It may take some time to get used to the software's full capabilities.

Nikitah
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 06/08/2018

Box

All in all, Box has proven substantially beneficial for the university and for faculty to access materials of a general nature in a more efficient way and though I have not seen the actual numbers myself, I suspect that offloading all of the staff time and energy that went into maintaining and training people to monitored those previous on-campus servers was a price efficient move as well. Equally important in a time of fiscal belt-tightening.

Pros

My university decided to replace its archaic system of various collective departmental, college, and institution drives and servers with Box. It is a thousand times easier to access from a variety of locations, at almost any time, using almost any communicative medium you wish to employ. In the 21st century the modern mobile educational facility and educator lives and dies on the capacity to not just amass data and research and information but also to retrieve and manipulate it at remote locales in a secure, rapid way.

Cons

The biggest challenge is that Box has, like many modern softwares, engineered a number of plug ins. I have found that the reliability and functionality of these varies. for example, the general BoxSync application works perfectly but then there is a Box application for Windows 8 and another for Windows 10 which are "store apps" which are not as good at syncing and it is possible you might have both kinds of applications on your machine and that is rather confusing for the user since they have different interfaces and the syncing between them is not as transparent as one might expect. There is a page of these plugins and their descriptions overlap substantially and so it's not always clear which application you should employ in conjunction with your general Box.