About MIP Fund Accounting

Purpose-built to meet the needs of the modern nonprofit and government agency, MIP Fund Accounting® empowers organizations to track by fund, manage restrictions based on unlimited funding sources, and meet complex reporting...

Browse MIP Fund Accounting Reviews

Carlos R.

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Best non-profit/fund accounting system for the $

Great system for non profits, especially for the $

Pros

Functionability and flexibility. Import/export capabilities. Takes time to setup and works great, especially for what it costs. Wish they will charge more and tight the issues I mentioned in the modules.

Cons

posting of previous periods can happen is the transactions were entered but not posted to a previous period, then when the month end is done, the transactions that were entered, can be posted to previous periods.
Due to/from fund balancing is not mandatory, wish they will force it.

Robbie P.

Reviewed on 18/06/2018

Manager

I would recommend this product to any nonprofit. It has what you need for sure.

Pros

General Ledger chart of accounts setup is second to none. With the segment driven chart versus the linear style chart of accounts found in competitor products, the reporting is hands down the best I've ever seen in the industry. It also has strong audit controls for maintaining integrity within your software.

Cons

Hard to find anything I don't like about this product. I am eagerly waiting for them to bring more features to the cloud offering.

Dan M.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 07/06/2017

MIP for YOUR non-profit

I would recommend this to any non-profit to account for financials in any industry.

Pros

MIP has one of the best non-profit accounting solutions out there, with its robust reporting, multiple segmentation of accounts, and ease of reviewing history in the database.

Cons

The built in custom reporting could be a little better - but there are certainly third party softwares out there that fix this problem - for a cost.

Top MIP Fund Accounting Alternatives

Marla T.

Reviewed on 05/04/2018

switched from Quickbooks

Overall, I like using this system.

Pros

I really like that you can't go in and make changes to items once you post them. It's more stable than QuickBooks was regarding this matter.

Cons

Because you can't make any changes, if you make a typo it is there for ever. Would be nice if there were an edit feature just for the description.

Samantha J.

Reviewed on 31/05/2018

Good product, not so good customer support

Pros

This software is very easy to use and customize to your specific organizational needs. It is great for non-profit accounting

Cons

The customer service at Abila is not top-notch. They reply slowly and when you purchase a new product, they do not take the appropriate amount of time to show you how to use it.

Emmanuel V.

Reviewed on 02/07/2019

Abila MIP Fund Accounting

Throughout my whole professional career, I have utilized Abila MIP Fund Accounting. Once mastered, it is a great software to use.

Pros

The software has many great features that make completing tasks more efficient.

Cons

It takes a while for a new user to become familiar with all the functions and features.

Prudence B.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 21/02/2017

Dependency

Most nonprofits are seeking funding to exist...this software package is a well-established organization. I say this because of the dependency on the online/cloud storage features. There is a monthly service fee to use this product.

Pros

I say this; however, it's a package that is worth having. I generally work with startup and kid/new nonprofits. I recommend this product as they grow and hire a Staff Accountant.

Cons

Simply the fee associated with the product itself and for training, or additional insight.

Matthew B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 09/11/2017

Gave us great insight!

Pros

This software allowed us to make better financial decisions because we had clear data. Our church finance team loved it!

Cons

Our organization decided that it would be a good idea to switch to their own ground up software. We have missed several key features that they weren't able to reproduce from Abila...

Miguel R.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 09/02/2017

Abila Fund Accounting Use and Customization

The system itself has been around for a good while. For that reason, they have built a strong product if you are in the non-profit sector looking for some flexibility. Be warned that it is not an inexpensive system although the ongoing cost of maintenance and support is not too bad. Implementation and initial licensing are where they get you. Most use the product out of the box and even then require a good amount of training since it had too many features. I would try to stay away from customizations that touch the database directly because support will have a much more difficult time supporting you. Support is ok, however during an audit and UDS season you should expect to be on the phone on hold for 30+ min.

Pros

Once set up, you will enjoy the power of flexibility and customization.

Cons

Too many options that can easily use you. You need to be trained. Support wait times can be high. High initial implements ton cost.

Jessica L.

Reviewed on 27/02/2017

Will Meet All Your Non-Profit ACCOUNTING Needs

I have used Abilia/Sage MIP Fund Accounting for the better part of 12 years in non-profit finance and it is the best I've used. I've also had experience with CYMA, Great Plains and OSAS, none of which could do everything I needed in the non-profit environment. Reporting is tremendous once everything is set up and ready to go. However, set up can be a bit of a struggle as the first few months are a bit of a getting to know each session and tweaking will most definitely needed. It also has a payroll module and HR module if you're looking to tamp down on having a bunch of systems. I saw a couple of reviews about how it's not good with development, but this particular product is not for development, it's for actual accounting.

Pros

Ease of reporting, filtering, GL intersectionality, Modules for AP-AR-Payroll-Purchase Orders-HR all available

Tom K.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

Good product

Pros

The product is flexible for setting up multiple fund buckets.

Cons

The backup and recovery process is a little cumbersome

Becky C.

Reviewed on 23/07/2015

Great Product, but who couldn't improve?

Pros

Much customization available. Can usually get what you want based on what you've put in. Abila HUGE improvement of Sage.

Cons

Reporting is good but could be much better. Drill down on ALL reports would be ideal. Payroll module is difficult to obtain reports without manipulation and combinations

Lisa B.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
2.5

Reviewed on 24/02/2016

Font is too small for anyone with less than perfect eyesight.

Pros

The program is organized and user friendly, easy to navigate, easy to produce a report, easy to search.

Cons

Inability to increase font size on the main screens. The very small font size is very difficult to see and causes a strain for those of us who work on the system all day. This could discourage someone from purchasing the program if their employees have less than perfect eyesight.

Shruti D.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

Excellent accounting tool For big as well as small businesses

Abila is a great tool which has a very intuitive user interface and has a lot of safeguarding featues to prevent errors in the entry of data. This helps new users to get accustomed to the software and also prevents them from making mistakes initially. The data stored in the system is secure and a hierarchy can be implemented into the system and thus it helps in proper division of duties and track changes. The reconciliation and reports generated using this system makes it easy for the managers to extract, understand and analyze data. By means of some training, even a non accountant can use the tool efficiently to get the functionality they need.
Importing data onto this system requires some level of expertise and is time consuming but it is smooth thereafter. The modules which offer additional functionality can get a little expensive.
Overall I would recommend this software to non profits as well as firms of all sizes.

Camellia C.

Reviewed on 16/12/2016

Abila Nonprofit Online & NW Metro Atlanta Habitat for Humanity

Our office used Abila (formerly known as Sage) from 2010-2015. While Abila seems to be a great tool for our finance department (who has continued to use Abila after the development department switched to Cloud Essentials by Salesforce), the product was not up to date with the needs of a fundraising and development department.

John C.

Reviewed on 25/01/2017

Ease of use is where it's at

Most accounting systems have always been to me glorified excel spreadsheets. What I've come to loath is having to sheet and sheet of different formulas because the system isn't intuitive enough to recognize an upload of statistic analysis. Imagine having the ability to handle all of your financial needs with one simple solution? That's where my company has it's greatest strength is that it is currently pushing for one solution and this solution is it.

Pros

Ease of usage

Cons

It can be a bit expensive

Audrey C.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 07/02/2018

great features

Pros

The speed was very quick and I would love to use this product at my job but we'll changing to Sage Live

Cons

Not very user friendly and could be a little more directed but that my option no one else. Everyone has a difference.

• Industry: Individual & Family Services

Reviewed on 22/12/2019

Sturdy and reliable accounting software

Overall good, reliable and serves our current needs. We'd prefer a system that did not require annual updates performed by our applications team, but it's something we can live with. Customer support is helpful but can be hard to reach at times.

Pros

It is reliable and doesn't crash. Good suite of features that suit our essential needs, such as payroll, AP, AR, reports, budgets and fund management. Other tools are add ons that we do not currently use but had to contract with a few additional third parties to meet our needs.

Cons

Annual fee and need for annual updates. Normally these are not too cumbersome but occasionally they are more difficult to implement for our applications team and it takes up a good chunk of their time.

Clement O.

Reviewed on 10/09/2018

Good product, horrible customer service

Pros

I think the product is very good for what we need it to do. The best part is the reports feature. Once you learn to build the reports, it becomes an even better tool.

Cons

IF and when you have to call customer support, be prepared to sit on hold and listen to that music for AT LEAST 45 minutes. It does not matter what day or time I call, they are ALWAYS busy. Our implementation specialist was paid to provide a week of training. However, I had to ask her to complete our training because she rushed through it and did not even show us one of the modules that we had paid for.

Yuan W.

Reviewed on 24/02/2012

MESSIANIC JEWISH BIBLE INSTITUTE (MJBI) is a multi-dimensional evangelistic and educational organization to people of the Jewish heritage. The MJBI's primary activities are to equip leaders who will establish Messianic Jewish congregations and ministries in Jewish communities worldwide, and to equip those leaders in their responsibility to the Jewish people through training, events, and seminars. MJBI also supports Bible schools, congregations, outreach and humanitarian aid works in Brazil, Argentina, Israel, Ethiopia, Russia, Hungary and the Ukraine.

In 2006, MJBI smoothly transitioned to Sage MIP Fund Accounting to satisfy its increased activities. Sage MIP is easy to use; offers a flexible method of setting up account structures; and the ability to track the revenue and expenses by department and location. Sage MIP can produce accurate, meaningful and timely customized reports in various formats, which facilitates MJBI management and the board members to make important decisions based on our financial position. Sage MIP enabled us to perform some tasks that were previous done by the outside companies, such as budgeting and forecasting. Also, the remote access offers the convenience to access the accounting information when needed.

Another good thing about Sage MIP Accounting is its Maintenance and Support Plan, which includes the online knowledgebase, unlimited e-support and telephone support. The people in its Customer Support department are very knowledgeable and can solve our problems in a professional and timely fashion. Sage MIP Accounting has been performing all financial accounting and record keeping for MJBI. The system is working so well that we have received the good comment from the auditors since we implemented it.

Titus N.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

A very valuable asset to our organization

Pros

This software provides local government accounting functions at a perfect level. I think the best thing about this software is it provides payroll, AP, AR, reports, budgets and fund management. The software does have other features, but buy additionally.

Cons

I think on the downside, you have to keep paying a fee annually. The software has to be updated annually. Also in Payroll, all State taxes must be downloaded to run reports.

Brittney W.

Reviewed on 07/06/2017

Abila - MIP Fund Accounting Review

The system is available as an on-premise solution or hosted on the Abila private cloud which is great having either option.

Pros

The ability to access the system from anywhere on your mobile device. There is a tough competition of modules available.

Cons

The amount of money spent can be expensive depending on the type of modules needed and how many users needed.

Leslie E.

Reviewed on 08/11/2016

Payroll & Benefits Coordinator

I would like to do more precise reports, like who is on BCBS HMO and who is on BCBS PPO.

Pros

I like the tabs. I can quickly access what I need because the tabs make it so simple. I love love love the fact that I can put an annual salary on the Current Pay tab and it will calculate everything the salary and hourly rate for me. I love that! Every-time I have questions I can call over there and I get help. Even if I get these crazy ideas to try to do something new I ask my sales person Dan and he gets the answers for me.

Cons

Why do I have to enter some information more than once? I have to enter exempt and non-exempt on Current Job tab, Job History tab and Current Pay Tab...Why? Also the W-4 issued by the IRS says Single, Married or Married but filing at a higher Single rate. The box Single/head of household is confusing. On Address & Phone tab why do the Home, Cell & Fax boxes have "Ext" in the box? No one has an Ext at home or on their cell phones. Now you are just being lazy.

Kristen H.

Reviewed on 06/07/2019

Abila is a good product!

We use abila to put in requests for big purchases to be approved.

Pros

That it allows you to get money approved for big purchases quickly and efficiently.

Cons

That it can be slightly confusing to use if you are not provided all of the information that you use.

Alexa V.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 11/01/2018

Great software to use!

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with this software a couple months ago and I really liked the easiness and simplicity it offers.

Cons

Although I really like the software I’d have to say it was a little overpriced and just for that, I would not purchase it for myself.