About MIP Fund Accounting

Purpose-built to meet the needs of the modern nonprofit and government agency, MIP Fund Accounting® empowers organizations to track by fund, manage restrictions based on unlimited funding sources, and meet complex reporting...

Browse MIP Fund Accounting Reviews

Paige B.

Reviewed on 01/06/2015

Great software for mid-market non-profits

Pros

The Saas version makes it easy to implement and easy on the IT department (they don't have to do anything). It also makes it easy to access from anywhere. We moved from Blackbaud because their system was so clunky and I couldn't get financials out of it easily. With Abila, it's very easy to run a variety of financials that I can tailor to my needs. It's also very easy to drill down (not from the financial reports) to find the detail I'm looking for with links to supporting documents (i.e. invoices). The A/R, fixed asset and other modules let us keep accounting for everything in one place.

Cons

The financial reports are a bit limited in terms of showing groupings of departments without being able to show the total on the same report. It can't do monthly balance sheets on one report. And you can't enter operational/non-financial data for more comprehensive reporting.

The wait time for calling into their help center is still unacceptable (hold times of no less than 30 minutes). They know about this and, instead of fixing it, tell users to use their chat function. While their response time on chat is very fast, I hate having to type out my issues and responses. I just want to talk to a live person.

Paul W.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 03/09/2018

Highly functional product for a small, medium, or large non profit organization

We have used this product for many years for our business and it has served us very well. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

1. Configuration of chart of account. 2. Account code combinations to allow for control of account code usage. 3. Import/Export of data functions - We are able to import our 30,000+ lines of data for payroll entry each 2 weeks. 4. Accounts Payable EFT notifications - When we pay vendors via ACH, we set up the system so a notification is sent to the vendor each time we make a payment and it includes remittance details. 5. Administrative access controls. - Admins have the ability to control everything a user needs to see. 6. Customer support is always helpful

Cons

1. Although the import function is a huge plus, sometimes I wish we could speed up a the process for larger entries.

Tia C.

Reviewed on 09/01/2019

Very nice!

Pros

We have been using this for accounting for quite awhile and have not have any issues. It has great support and options to be able to work for what our non-profit is always needing.

Cons

The reporting could be better, more customization would be great. As a non-profit it is always something that we need reporting on and nothing is ever perfect. But that does go for many products too.

Frank K.

Reviewed on 19/03/2020

Abila software - Meh

Overall it's ok, but it could be a little more friendly, especially when it comes to reporting. There aren't many canned reports, and sometimes the reports don't match the actual data.

Pros

I like that it's tailored to the nonprofit company, so we can allocate expenses and revenues to specific grants.

Cons

It's rather "picky" and often difficult to use, following the steps takes some time to get used to. Changing which bank to cut checks out of is not easy for a new user to find.

Mukul K.
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

Abila can be your primary accounting software

Owing to the fact that modules can be added into the existing system, Abila offers a very versatile solution. We use it as a primary accounting software but it can be extended to HR as well as other departments just by the addition of modules. It is not too tough to learn but definitely some amount of time is needed initially to get used to it. Makes the process pretty smooth after that.

Pros

1. Abila offers modules that are customizable to suit the needs of small, medium and large size companies. These modules can also be purchased in parts as the requirements of the company change with time.
2. It offers a very good customer support system who help in setting up the accounting system initially and also help during operation if need be.
3. Fits the budget if you only buy the modules you need in case it is for a smaller organization with limited requirements.

Cons

1. Some features of the Abila software cannot be changed once the system has been set up like the number of digits in the fund code.
2. There could have been more number of options in the formatting of financial statements generated using this software.
3. Since it requires training in the initial to begin using the software, there is a cost involved in doing so.

Brenda C.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 08/08/2017

Easy to tailor to your industry needs.

I'm still learning, but the more often I use Abila, and the more familiar I become I am enjoying the software more and more! It's very well designed.

Pros

There are a lot of features, and it's easy to get overwhelmed if you are new to accounting, however, if you are a quick learner and explore the features at length you can quickly figure things out until your transactions become intuitive.

Cons

It does assume a certain level of accounting proficiency on the part of the user. Those starting out will probably require some support in navigating. The "Help" search feature is very technical.

Lynn A.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Reviewed on 16/11/2017

Accomodating

Pros

easy to navigate from General Ledger to Accounts Payable or Accounts Receivable, cash receipt and reporting.

Cons

budgeting in the system is not so easy. can't setup to match my format but the ability to upload helps

Bruce R.
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 26/03/2018

good as it gets

Pros

Amazing! I literally did not read the instructions on how to get started. This is my type of setup. Now, I cant say this goes for everyone, but if you have a little experience then you will be fine

Cons

Like I mentioned before. The software is just too too easy to get familiar with. I dont see why you would skip pss this

Lisa N.

Reviewed on 17/09/2015

Abila MIP Fund accounting

Pros

Vendor was fabulous in explaining how to use the product and went out of their way to make sure we received any answers needed.

Cons

It's not fully implemented yet so I can't report about it.

Alejandro R.

Reviewed on 08/12/2014

Excellent for non-profits, but it could be even better

Pros

The best thing is the multi-dimentional logic built into the product, which enables it to track almost any measure (P&L, Balance Sheet) across various dimensions (company, department, program, grant, restriction type, etc.) This gives you almost total flexibility to manage your organization's finances in any way you want.

Cons

My only pet peeves - none of which are deal-breakers - are:
- Lack of drill-down capabilities straight from the reports. Say you run a P&L report and want to know the details behind a certain expense figure. In QuickBooks, you can just double-click on the figure and get a detailed report of the details behind it. In MIP you are forced to run a separate Transactions report. The information can still be obtained; it just takes longer.
- No "Balance Sheet by Month" report. This is another basic report that even Quickbooks has. It's very important when you're analyzing your historical results.
- The documentation is horrible. There are no examples whatsoever. You need to know the system already in order to understand what the manuals mean to say.
- Certain reports should give you the codes along with their names. For example, a Distribution Codes report tells you that code 1125 splits costs 40% to Program 254 and 60% to Program 350. But the report doesn't tell you that code 1125 is for employee "John Do", Program 254 is "Advocacy," and Program 350 is "Shelter". You need to run a separate Chart of Accounts report and then do vlookups. This should be a really easy thing to code into the package.

Stephanie K.

Reviewed on 30/01/2020

The problem that it has solved is being able to keep track of accounts payable and receivables so easliy.

Pros

One of the things I love about it is how easy it is to use. I am in accounts payable and I can enter them so fast and easy.

Cons

One of the things I least like about it is that sometimes when I make a mistake and fix it it won't really correct it.

Jim L.

Reviewed on 17/11/2017

Overall this is a good product for our not for profit.

Don't purchase any Abila product without factoring in the cost of training. Our organization did a self install & configuration and to be frank made a mess of things. Learned a costly lesson; the cost of training is well worth it.

Pros

Bolt on modules are very robust; have exceeded our expectations. Nice integration from FR50 to MIP. Easy to install in modules so you can spread the learning curve over time.

Cons

No switch to do Cash Accounting Basis-built to use Accrual Basis only. No cash forecast model built in s/w.

Kaycie G.

Reviewed on 28/03/2018

I use Abila daily for invoice processing and reporting.

Pros

I like the reporting feature on Abila and the ease of saving reports for the future so I can run them monthly.

Cons

I do think the software could use an update and become more user friendly and more tech savvy. I also wish it would more better on a MAC.

Kanul D.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

Cloud based functionality makes Abila an attractive option

Abila MIP Advance is a sophisticated, cloud-based true fund accounting solution that delivers powerful reporting, analytics, and dashboards. This tool is available with a responsive web interface which is optimized for mobile devices. This further adds to the usefulness of the software at large as it is accessible from anywhere. It is a true fund accounting solution well suited for mid-sized nonprofits and government entities that manage multiple funds and require advanced reporting capability. It offers a lot of add-on modules that increase functionality tremendously. It offers the ability to use a flexible chart of accounts with the ability to utilize unlimited segments, making it easy to users to manage multiple funds and programs. it can handle multiple transaction types like cash receipts, journal entries, and bank reconciliations. The Dashboard also contains a series of charts that display trends and offer a current year analysis. An advanced warning system can be set up and maintained to notify users if close to a budget overage. And the what-if scenario allows users to enter transactions to see what net effect the transactions would have on budgets.
As there are less number of people using this system currently, the training administrators for the tool are also less and so are expensive too. Since training is required at the initial stage of using the program, it is an additional cost to the business during the shift to Abila.

Reviewed on 25/09/2018

University Fundraising Team

I personally found the coordinative POSSIBILITIES to be high, however the learning curve made it hard for the average user to become functional.

Pros

I enjoyed the ability to get an entire University on board and working in the same direction. Additionally, the ability to coordinate accounts is very helpful.

Cons

The learning curve is hard. It is easy to use poorly, and difficult to use easily. I became an adept user, but the difficulty in getting up to speed typically meant that other colleagues accomplished only the basic tasks, or neglected using it at all.

Anne L.

Reviewed on 20/07/2019

Ok Accounting Software

It was just OK- didn’t love it didn’t hate it.

Pros

I really enjoyed all the functions of this software system. It never lagged or crashed on me.

Cons

I did not enjoy how there are limits to how many users could be on the software. Sometimes, I would not be able to log in the system because there were too many of my colleagues on it so I couldn’t do my work. It was frustrating.

Victor M.

Reviewed on 15/09/2016

Product limited in feature like budget features as compared others

Pros

AP, AR, vendor records. I enjoy using these features. Vendor has an excellent customer care

Cons

Lack of budget features and its limitations in performing functions like grant management

Jeanette J.

Reviewed on 06/02/2017

Abila MIP Fund Review

Our accounting department uses this product and finds it very user-friendly and works well with the needs of our complex funds and accounts.

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

No cons. It works well for our needs.

Rita N.

Reviewed on 01/09/2015

Best Fundraising Software on the Market!

I've used Abila Millennium for 17 years, it's the best on the market. It tracks Planned Giving, Prospect Management, Alumni Management, and Volunteers, I'm not sure why they are not checked.

Graylen H.
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 18/01/2017

So So

I was looking for a replacement for Quick books. I'm not sure this is going to be my replacement.

Jeanette J.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 19/09/2018

MIP Fund Accounting Review

Great product and customer service.

Pros

Ease of use and relevant to the needs of our agency.

Cons

We have had no issues with the software.

• Industry: Individual & Family Services

Reviewed on 22/12/2019

Sturdy and reliable accounting software

Overall good, reliable and serves our current needs. We'd prefer a system that did not require annual updates performed by our applications team, but it's something we can live with. Customer support is helpful but can be hard to reach at times.

Pros

It is reliable and doesn't crash. Good suite of features that suit our essential needs, such as payroll, AP, AR, reports, budgets and fund management. Other tools are add ons that we do not currently use but had to contract with a few additional third parties to meet our needs.

Cons

Annual fee and need for annual updates. Normally these are not too cumbersome but occasionally they are more difficult to implement for our applications team and it takes up a good chunk of their time.

Clement O.

Reviewed on 10/09/2018

Good product, horrible customer service

Pros

I think the product is very good for what we need it to do. The best part is the reports feature. Once you learn to build the reports, it becomes an even better tool.

Cons

IF and when you have to call customer support, be prepared to sit on hold and listen to that music for AT LEAST 45 minutes. It does not matter what day or time I call, they are ALWAYS busy. Our implementation specialist was paid to provide a week of training. However, I had to ask her to complete our training because she rushed through it and did not even show us one of the modules that we had paid for.

Yuan W.

Reviewed on 24/02/2012

MESSIANIC JEWISH BIBLE INSTITUTE (MJBI) is a multi-dimensional evangelistic and educational organization to people of the Jewish heritage. The MJBI's primary activities are to equip leaders who will establish Messianic Jewish congregations and ministries in Jewish communities worldwide, and to equip those leaders in their responsibility to the Jewish people through training, events, and seminars. MJBI also supports Bible schools, congregations, outreach and humanitarian aid works in Brazil, Argentina, Israel, Ethiopia, Russia, Hungary and the Ukraine.

In 2006, MJBI smoothly transitioned to Sage MIP Fund Accounting to satisfy its increased activities. Sage MIP is easy to use; offers a flexible method of setting up account structures; and the ability to track the revenue and expenses by department and location. Sage MIP can produce accurate, meaningful and timely customized reports in various formats, which facilitates MJBI management and the board members to make important decisions based on our financial position. Sage MIP enabled us to perform some tasks that were previous done by the outside companies, such as budgeting and forecasting. Also, the remote access offers the convenience to access the accounting information when needed.

Another good thing about Sage MIP Accounting is its Maintenance and Support Plan, which includes the online knowledgebase, unlimited e-support and telephone support. The people in its Customer Support department are very knowledgeable and can solve our problems in a professional and timely fashion. Sage MIP Accounting has been performing all financial accounting and record keeping for MJBI. The system is working so well that we have received the good comment from the auditors since we implemented it.

Titus N.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

A very valuable asset to our organization

Pros

This software provides local government accounting functions at a perfect level. I think the best thing about this software is it provides payroll, AP, AR, reports, budgets and fund management. The software does have other features, but buy additionally.

Cons

I think on the downside, you have to keep paying a fee annually. The software has to be updated annually. Also in Payroll, all State taxes must be downloaded to run reports.