About Sage 100 Contractor

Sage 100 Contractor, formerly known as Sage Master Builder, focuses on the needs of small to mid-sized construction companies, including general contractors, service or specialty contractors, and home builders. A great fit for...

3.7
3.9
3.9

Browse Sage 100 Contractor Reviews

Lex

Sage Helps

We started in 1987 with The Master Builder; which was purchased by Intuit; which was purchased by Sage and became Sage 100 Contractor. So we have grown up with the great grampa of Sage 100. It has run our company for decades and we are very happy with it. As we grow, the program can grow. There is still a lot of the program's capability that we do not use, yet, but hope to.

Pros

Integration of job bidding to job costing to accounting to payroll.....all modules talk to each other in real time. We could not have any software that did not do all these things

Cons

The weak point is the estimating module that comes with it. I don't think it has been upgraded for 20 years.....no...really. They want me to buy the upgraded estimator which I think I will do soon.

Response from Sage

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

Doug

Reviewed on 16/08/2021

Sage 100 Software by General Contractor

We are a general contractor and we probably don't utilize all the bells and whistles available in the software that a subcontractor might use to their benefit. We were mislead on the reports available when we purchased the software and spent significant dollars getting a custom report to suit our needs. The software has been very reliable.

Pros

Integration of accounting information with project management information; Real time information/status of the job; Ease of using drop-down to source; Ability to export information to excel and third party reports.

Cons

When the vendor is shown on a report or screen and the vendor number isn't. The reports section is missing a comprehensive (in detail) project manager report that captures and compares budget, contracts, change orders, purchase orders and costs to date. Learning how to use change orders as they impacted reports was difficult.

Sectona Security Platform

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Execudata was a single user software that became inadequate due to growth of the company. It was bought by another company who made it windows based software but that occurred after we purchased Masterbuilder .

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

We thought the integration of project management with job cost accounting was significant for us and it was from a reputable company (Intuit).

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

Thoughts in the Second Year

Training wasn't smooth. Our trainer was a good person but we were mislead in regards to the cost of getting started so that was a negative from the beginning.

Pros

That it worked well with Procore and gave us a more detailed accounting system.

Cons

The double entry with using Procore and Sage 100. I also don't like that it isn't very user friendly. Lots of clicks to accomplish a simple task. I will use looking at the checkbook register as an example. I should just be able to click and look at at it. It should take 5 or 6 clicks to get there.

OpenGov Citizen Services and FOUNDATION

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Quickbooks wasn't able to handle everything with Procore

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Sage's ability to work with Procore. However, as I said above, there is way to much double entry.

Response from Sage

Thank you for submitting a product review. Your feedback is invaluable to the continued improvement of products and services from Sage

Replied 06/01/2021

Top Sage 100 Contractor Alternatives

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Ben

Reviewed on 10/05/2022

Good accounting software

My overall experience with Sage 100 is satisfactory. It does what it's designed to do. But i just wish the database was better designed to avoid periodic crashes. Other than that, we're satisfied with the software.

Pros

Sage 100 Contractor is relatively easy to deploy and use. It didn't take long to train my clients. Furthermore, it does require much computer resource to run this program.

Cons

The upgrade from 2016 to 2018 resulted in a significant performance degradation. Even though we moved the Sage 100 server to a more robust environment, not much was changed. In fact periodically, Sage 100 would crash due to unknown entries on an order.

Summer

Reviewed on 02/04/2021

New User Review

Now that I have learned how to use the software, I am very happy with it. It allows for seamless integration of project management and project accounting. I would recommend this software to others, but with a serious explanation that the learning process is difficult and frustrating for those who don't come from an accounting background.

Pros

I love the interconnectivity of this software. It really does a great job of tying everything together and it makes pulling union reports, workers compensation reports, etc easier than the spreadsheets that I was having to keep previously. After the long and difficult process of learning how to use the software, I am now seeing all of its benefits.

Cons

Learning how to use this software was not a good experience. I would love to be able to pull up videos on the internet and have someone walk me through the different screens. We used a company with live help for Sage 100 Contractor and it was expensive and I felt that I was often waiting for our schedules to align to get a simple question answered. It made me hate the software in the beginning and it was very frustrating. I am just happy to be past that!

Jerry

Reviewed on 16/03/2021

Good package for the money

Overall it's a decent software package for the money and the size of our business. Other systems can do more, but you'll likely pay much more.

Pros

The software provides the needed accounting and payroll modules. The optional Inventory modules offers some basic tools to manage your inventory. Reporting tools are rudimentary, but adequate.

Cons

Receiving inventory items works strangely. A Sage invoice is created when receiving. At the point of vouching the supplier's invoice, the same receiving generated invoice can be updated. However, issues occur if you have used any of that inventory before getting the supplier's invoice entered. There's a work-around which involves copying and pasting, but the vouching process should not care what your current inventory level is.
The weighted average cost is problematic when working with projects. Any given transaction can result in a G/L record that doesn't match the project record, leading to variances. Need the option of last-cost, std cost, etc.

Lindsey

Nothing is perfect

Pros

Ease of use:
A/R - client set up, job creation, invoicing and applying payments
A/P - vendor set up, invoice entry and payments

Cons

Self-teaching is difficult. KB, University and other resources are located in 3 different websites. This should all be streamlined. One website with one login that allows us access to our account management tools, KB and Uni. Since I wasn't here at implementation, I have found it difficult to utilize portions of the program that weren't used prior to my hire date. Customer service is great but don't offer training and any training that isn't self-teach is outrageous! We are glad to see you upgrade your annual services to include access to the various classes that otherwise are out of our price range.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Cost and features that assist with construction and project management (that aren't currently being used as previous employees didn't set them up and without training, I'm not comfortable implementing)
Karen

Sage Review

Overall it has been very good.

Pros

I like the accountability features first and foremost. The AP, AR and Payroll are simple and easy to use.

Cons

I would like to see a little more ease of use for estimating. For a small remodeling company like ours, we do not need massive amount of data. And a HUGE improvement would be if you could set up a standard "Note" for each cost code. We prepare proposals by Cost Code with descriptions as to what "Tile" entails (our allowance, our standard running board pattern, inclusion of grout, etc.)
I would also like to see a running report that includes budget v. actual for hours, labor dollars, subs and materials. Right now I need more than one report to do that.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

It was Master Builder when we started with it. Cannot recall why we chose this over QB

Hasan

Reviewed on 07/07/2020

Sage 100 Contractor is a great business solution

Overall experience using Sage 100 Contractor is great.

Pros

What I really like in Sage 100 Contractor is when we start setting up the software it was very quick to go live after short period, The annual revenue for the company I was working for is 35+ million. we shifted from old software to Sage 100 Contractor within two months, I did few demonstrations for my colleague about how to use Sage 100 Contractor and all of them they found Sage 100 Contractor easy to use and very helpful for our business, and reporting in Sage 100 Contractor is great.

Cons

I didn't face any issue or something I didn't like in Sage 100 Contractor. but the developing in Sage 100 Contractor is impossible.

SAP Business One

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Sage 100 Contractor is less expensive from SAP Business One.
mohammed
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 09/07/2022

my review for sage

tres bon app tres bon pratique

Pros

We have increased transparency, gained insights and have been able to proactively manage the business. This has led to better business decisions, increased revenue, and overall business performance.
I rely on Sage heavily for a lot of important information and reports. The support staff is friendly and there is a wealth of knowledge out there.

Cons

Reports in this software are the worst part of it. It needs to be updated and make it easier to build and customize reports to suit company use.
We gave it up after the first 4 months and lost 30 K , I'm starting litigation to try and get my money back.

Debora

Next level accounting

We were able to have multiple users with out them seeing what we don't want them to see. Also it improved the reporting and bill paying process. It has been great to have estimating incorporated in the program and the ability to export into excel. Some parts however are very clunky and take multiple steps (such as entering info twice in change orders or having to create a job after a client. It would be nice to click a button on client that creates the job automatically. Grateful the capability to transfer between accounts was added, however the fact that I have to enter a journal entry to use the vacation time costs on my balance sheet when someone uses it in payroll seems a miss-step.

Pros

Accounting is great. The level of personalization for each user, being able to lock down per line what each user sees and use of PO/SO takes us to the next level of what we were looking for. Also personalization of reports and ability to change things how we need them is excellent. Have been using as our CRM as well. That there are constant improvements and ability to request them. Love the dashboard and how I can customize it. I feel much more informed about our numbers and the auto-reports are very helpful.

Cons

So much to learn and implement. Our onboarding was less than impressive (trainer distracted and taking another phone call while I'm paying for her time) Also very expensive. There was no information as to the set up of the computers required, or even how to go about implementing the program until we were involved with the trainers and they didn't cover that first part. Had to learn by trial and error. We felt like there was very little help and a lot of miscommunications. We need more field access (online) but that is not on the accounting side...all project management. Also, when exporting to word or excel it is in tables and not easy to manipulate.

CHERYL

Sage Review from Ft. Myers

This product keeps daily track of so many aspects of running a business and is very structured in keeping you and your business concerns organized. I completely depend on this for ALL of our accounting and project needs. Again, I can not say enough about the customer service.

Pros

This software is very detailed and will give you the information you need and depend on for daily use. We use only this product for all of our construction accounting /project needs. The reports it creates gives you the information needed per project, to see in daily figures what that project looks like from many aspects. You can also create specific reports if needed, but I have never needed to do that. They have GREAT customer service. They will log in with you and see what you have going on or what you're trying to do and will give you whatever help you need. I completely depend on this product.

Cons

Since this product is so detailed, some of the steps to "fix" something can be confusing and will have many steps to undo. Sometimes there can be more than one way to redo something and I get myself confused as to which action to take, but I know that customer service is completely dependable and they are only a call away to help.

Mary

Reviewed on 16/03/2021

A few items to improve an already great product.

Pros

My boss has a lot of money going out; with that in mind, I start my bank reconciliation early and keep it going until month end.
Sage far surpasses all other accounting software in this particular process.

Cons

Searching for an item could be improved dramatically!
Also, if I issue a check by copying an old one issued to the same person. It becomes a journal entry and if I ask the computer for all payments issued to that person that journal entry is not always included. I need to be careful and check job costs, not just payments made.
One other item, when issuing a check, I appreciate the manual check choice being added, I would suggest a small tweak, I wonder if you offered the verbiage "Debit Card", as well.
I would be curious to attend short 15 minutes or so, info meetings- that would focus on educating users on particular features, for example in estimating and scheduling.
Something that would have visual aids not just reading in the Sage Help.
Maybe a recording in Zoom or YouTube a meeting accessible through your help site.
I am a visual learner reading does not help me as much as a visual coach.

One last item I would like to see implemented, I doubt it can be but here goes.

If possible when I need to start a help ticket, sometimes what I need say is complicated. I need to type 2-3 paragraphs. I wish there was a streamlined way to get a person to talk to.
Using the chat box is great unless it is a complicated issue, I wish I could type ## or something and that would direct me to the call back Que.
Thank You so much for asking.

10+ years of Sage

Overall I have had very little problems in Sage for the my 10+ years of using the product. I think it flows rather well, but when I had to train someone else because of concerns over COVID, it was a little tricky. There are some deductions I have to compute manually because I can't tell it to include overtime, but not vacation or sick when creating the deduction. I also don't like that when creating a paygroup you need to save before adding benefits, but that's a minor inconvenience. I have also adapted paygroup for the different benefit levels of my employees who attend school and have different impact to compensation. Overall I would recommend.

Pros

It is easy to input invoices and do most of payroll. The certified payroll still needs a little work for those of us not doing it electronically. I have never had an issue with the quarterly or end of yea tax reports. Archiving previous years and locking down transactions prior to archiving has become much simpler. I do customized reports from time to time and generally they are rather easy to do.

Cons

I would like to see a tab in the jobs that has all the information needed for the A1-131 top section report.

I would like to see date added when it notifies you in accounts payable that you have a duplicate invoice number.

Lately I have had to install the program onto new computers. The install was not as smooth due to Microsoft. I wish I had a updated list that said you also will need to download these applications as they are no longer automatically provided by Microsoft - ie Framework, SQL 2014.

Sherry D

Powerful Construction software

love it.

Pros

Job costing, payroll direct deposit, ACH, Reporting, project work center, customized reports, archive features, integration with Outlook, the ability to input suggestions and vote on others ideas, etc

Cons

The initial implementation and setup. Our Consultant was not the best in the implementation process. We have since connected with someone who is FABULOUS and knows how to best help the Client to setup "best practices" from the start. I only wish we had connected with her at the onset.
Some of the programming still has "glitches" and boots you out of the program - annoying. F2 should be edit, and pulls up a calendar, Enter key and Tab key don't work consistently with other Microsoft programs - slight annoyance.

Karen

Karen Schwingle

I have used Sage 100 Contractor in one version or another since 2004 through my employment with a former Corian countertop fabricator and my association with Suitable Solutions ([SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]). I love it! I believe it is an extremely workable program for contractors.

Pros

I work for a commercial roofing contractor. I think the project management system had the most impact, because non-accounting employees have access to it and they learn what it takes to keep a job moving forward.

Cons

This is not so much something that I "like least" about Sage, but the hardest part for me was getting others in the company to realize that I did not have to be the person to do EVERYTHING. They were capable of entering purchase orders.....they were capable of entering a change order.....they were capable of running a report. It has taken a couple years (we went live in 2017) for other staff to buy into the program. It is now going well.

Construction User

We have had nothing but great experience with the software and customer service has be great.

Pros

The software help tracking expenses and history of job cost is top of the line. Progress billing is the best and easiest we have seen.

Cons

It does have a deep learning cure but once you are past that it is easy to use software

Samsung Pay

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

There data base could not handle our needs

Compatible with windows

Diane

ten plus years

Overall it was a good purchase. We do not use it for estimating. Kuesel utilizes the payables, receivables, payroll, equipment, and job cost.

Pros

As a construction company, we needed job cost to be detailed. We were originally with QuickBooks. This software definitely gave us the detail to figure out where our cost was going per project. I also like the feature that it records every transaction, so there is no guessing if someone changed the data.

Cons

I still struggle with tech support. I do not understand the Sage City, nor the Knowledge base.

Lisa

Reviewed on 16/08/2021

Big Bang for Small Bucks

My overall experience with Sage 100 Contractor has been very good. We've used it almost 4 years and we're still very happy that we selected it.

Pros

Sage 100 Contractor is easy to use and quite intuitive. No one on my staff has struggled to learn it. For the price, I believe it is by far the best solution for my company. I'm generally happy with the built-in reports.

Cons

I would like for the built-in reports to be easier to modify. It's something we struggle with internally. We paid a 3rd party to develop some custom reports for us. However, when Sage has updates it sometimes causes the custom reports to crash. This is highly frustrating.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

We switched products because we needed better job cost detail and reporting, especially for labor.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

We purchased Sage 100 Contractor because it offered the most important features we needed at the most reasonable price.
Leigh

SAGE 100 REVIEW

Overall I like the software and look forward to updates and better reporting and billing systems.

Pros

Software is basically user friendly. I like how System Menu is set up and payroll is very functional.

Cons

Reports in this software are the worst part of it.
Also need to have an easier T&M workup system and reports.

Elaine

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Sage 100 Contractor

Very good.

Pros

It has more detail than our previous software. I really like the drill-down capability.

Cons

I would like to be able to work with someone at Sage to improve their Progress Billing fields. It is good for a basic set-up, but many of the Contractors that we bill have custom forms, requiring more fields that require the use of the Custom Fields tables. Good that the fields are there, bad in that they do not appear on the screen while billing. Makes the progress billing seem clunky. Also, would like more flexibility in the report writing (such as Outer Join, Left Join, Right Join).

Nelly

Quick Easy Construction Accounting

Pros

We upgraded from an antiquated program called Great Plains we had used for 25 years, there was no way
to integrate or move our data to Sage. The process to get started was fairly easy, it was just a matter of reentering all our payable, receivable and setting up our GL. Once we got trained on it we found ways to streamline our work load.

Cons

The thing I liked the least was setting up my GL, they gave me way too many accounts and after entering them all, I discovered that I needed to delete half of them, they did not work for our business.

Microsoft Dynamics SL

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Our system was outdated and our GL got corrupted

Ease of entry and the program was 1/4 the cost from Microsoft Dynamics
Arthur

Versatile and Powerful

I started using MasterBuilder in 1998. I found it has a robust payroll module enabling ease of use for Federal, State and Union payroll issues. The addition of Aatrix actually improved the payroll module. This program works for individual homes to large scale civil construction projects.

Pros

This product is flexible and can be used for a variety of different types and sizes of projects.

Cons

Customer Support is through your local network. Sage provides zero customer support and treats their customers as if they are trying to steal from them.

Brittany
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 13/08/2021

Good software but would like to make some changes

We use Sage for billing out contract for long term electrical work projects and for quick electrical repairs. I personally do not have much to compare it to as the only other system I have used it Sage 50.

Pros

I like how we can use this software for both residential one time work orders and jobs that last consecutive months.

Cons

I dislike that when you search for a part you cannot search it by a key word in the name of the part. For example if part is named 4' risers yellow, I can only find the item by searching "4", I cannot find it by searching "risers".

Alerts sometime seem to not work. I know my co workers mentioned that to me and since I have been shy of using them.

Jeanne

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Sage 100 has simplified my job as Office Manager and Bookkeeper.

Overall, Sage 100 Contractor is a wonderful software program. The support and technical assistance staff have been wonderful in the past and are always helpful with fixing any problems with may occur. We have been using this software since 2003 and it has been great. Another great feature are the reports for preparing quarterly payroll tax returns. This feature is a definite time saver for which I am very grateful.

Pros

I really like all the different reports that are available. I like having a client data base with all the contact information at my fingertips and it is wonderful that my boss can access it from his "laptop" so that he does not have to use the "main" computer to access the database or any bookkeeping information he may require for a specific job.

Cons

The only con is that now that we upgraded to Windows 10 there are are a few glitches. For example, whenever Windows 10 does an update on the "main" computer, it is necessary for me to "reset" the Sage 100 Contractor Hosting Framework back to "running" and also the Sage 100 SQL Contractor Hosting Framework back to "running". It is a bit of an inconvenience since my boss does not know how to "reset" them and therefore cannot access the bookkeeping information.