About Planning Maestro

Centage’s Planning Maestro is a cloud-native planning & analytics platform that delivers year-round financial insight, transforming how companies budget, forecast and report performance. Centage delivers a level of sophisticated...

Browse Planning Maestro Reviews

Brent D.

Reviewed on 01/07/2009

Overall solid business performance management software

Solid business performance management software package.

Pros

1. Very powerful forecasting tool that can handle both simple and complex aspects of forecasting. Handles multiple departments, entities, and the consolidation of them with ease.
2. Very easy to import actual data in order to perform variance analysis.
3. Easy to import almost all information necessary to set up a "plan" the first time.
4. What-if analysis allows you to look at the financial impact of making changes in your business without having to change your primary "plan"
5. All reports can be exported to Excel
6. Report layouts can be customized.
7. Very easy to create a 5 year forecast that allows increase/decrease assumptions to be customized in numerous ways, and using as many timeframes as desired.
8. Handles lines of credit and term loans, both fixed and variable rate, very easily.

Cons

1. Can't run a statement of cash flows based on "actual" data, only on "plan" data.
2. Not very easy to run a "plan" balance sheet for a future year as a stand-alone report, must either start the report on a month just after you have "actual" data or create an "actual/plan" version that houses a combination of data so it can be used for beginning balances.
3. If using Desktop version, additional modules need to be purchased to handle pre-paid insurance automatically and forecast inventory.

Linda Z.
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 12/08/2021

It is goo to have.

Iit is easy to use. I like the reports, we can create any reports we would like.

Pros

everyone can review this within the company, easy to update the budget and export the reports

Cons

there no no GL accounts which is very important for us

Mary beth D.
  • Industry: Environmental Services
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 24/05/2018

Excellent experience. Software functions as promised - implementation team & support were...

Ease of budgeting at a very detailed level. Provided us with a better understanding of what drives our business from a financial perspective and what the impact might be if we were to change any of those variables.

Pros

Ease of use and affordability. The ability to design your budget without having to pay someone to configure the software is priceless. We were also able to implement and complete our budget in less than 2 months.
This software allows us to budget continuously using the same data while just updating it for any changes. We budget annually, and re-forecast quarterly. This tool allows us to spend more time analyzing the impacts of the various variables and much less time actually creating the budgets to review. Once it is set up to forecasts into the future and all you have to do is edit for any changes. You can also perform endless 'what if' scenarios to see how potential changes would impact your forecasts.

Cons

Wow! I can't really think of any cons to this software. I am sure there are some limitations but for our company this fits the bill perfectly.

Top Planning Maestro Alternatives

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Adaptive Planning

Eric K.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

Centage has been a key partner in our company's financial reporting capabilites.

Centage has been a good partner for RSC as we continue to grow reducing manual work and possibility of errors through their platform we utilize for Scenario Reporting and our Annual Budget Process.

Pros

Centage provides strong customer service and the product has been terrific value for our organization.

Cons

Our group has not transitioned over to the new Cloud Based program with Centage as of yet, so we experience limitations on uploading a large amount of data for various dimensional reporting.

Randy O.

Reviewed on 13/04/2010

Budget Maestro Review from Dakota Electric Association

I would recommend budget maestro to other organizations as a useful budgeting tool. It would be important for any organization to analyze their data and structure requirements prior to selecting the budgeting tool which would best complement their data needs.

Pros

Budget Maestro is a user friendly budgeting tool with some helpful budgeting features including benchmarking, spreading mechanisms, and ease of use.

Support from Centage has been good in terms of timeliness of responses and problem solving over the past 5 years.

Overall it has been widely accepted within our organization and has helped improve the efficiency and accuracy of our budget process at DEA.

Cons

Calculating data at times can be slow due to multiple users in the system at the same time. We have also experienced some space issues as the number of budgets and versions have grown. We would also like to see more reporting flexibility regarding layouts for sizing columns and overall appearance.

Ayushi M.

Reviewed on 08/08/2017

Has transformed financial intelligence

Pros

Extremely easy to use and offers lot of features. It generates flexible spreadsheets, is compatible with any general ledger and has powerful what-if capabilities.

Cons

The application is amazing and efficient. Except minor bugs, there is nothing I don't like about Budget Maestro.

Tom H.

Reviewed on 01/07/2009

I highly recommend this product to anyone who is ready to move beyond the spreadsheet way of budgeting. I find the product to be a real good investment for not just annual budgeting, but also for tracking against actuals and forecasts.

Pros

My budgeting task has become much easier in comparison to using spreadsheets. I also appreciate the level of detail that I can enter within Budget Maestro. Also, the Link Maestro product is a great add-on for importing from MAS90.

Cons

My only complaint is the amount of formatting I have to do when exporting a report to a spreadsheet. It would be great if there were more features for report formatting.

Alice F.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 17/01/2017

Good, moderately priced software

We were able to get a budget together in a few months including setup, training 30+ users, and remediation. Once you understand the logic of the tool, it all starts making sense. I have a variety of skill sets using the tool with minimal issues.

Andrea T.
2.5

Reviewed on 10/10/2014

Budget Maestro

Pros

There are endless possibilities. There are numerous ways to view financials with Budget Maestro.

Cons

The amount of time it takes to learn it and really get up to speed.

Fran F.

Reviewed on 13/02/2014

Budget Maestro

We have been using the software for about 7 years and it has been extremely helpful for our reporting. We used spreadsheets before that and to make changes to any item was a nightmare and now it is much easier. It has cut our prep time in half.

Nikhil L.
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 05/10/2016

Good

Nice Product, I 'm looking forward to use this product if needed.

Michael A.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 06/07/2018

Good for small companies and simple budgeting

Pros

Simple to use, not very complicated. Has all the features needed for small companies and their budget needs.

Cons

Although simple to use, features are limited. They have a new web based version that should alleviate many of our limitations but we still have not had that rolled out. We were supposed to have the web based version last year but are still waiting for the roll out.
They also are used to smaller companies and over the last few years we have grown dramatically so we have basically out grown the product.

Frances F.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 11/12/2014

Satified Budget Maestro user

Pros

It is a good alternative to using excel spreadsheets. It's much easier to get reporting done when you have a number of departments and want to report as a total or individual departments. Uploading the information from our accounting software is easy to do. The vendor is helpful whenever we have problems. They can resolve most of our issues pretty quickly. We mostly use it for comparing P&Ls actual to budget and departmental reporting. In the past, we used Excel, like many companies, and found it was very easy to have errors. This is much more accurate. It allows us to break personnel, expenses, and revenue down several levels and also to roll it up.

Cons

We are still using an older version because there is one particular report that we like that has not been able to duplicated to our satisfaction on the newer version. The company has been through several refinements of the product but has still not been able to duplicate the report.

Ana gloria F.
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Maybe a good long term solution

After the system is all set up, including the financial presentation, which you have to drag account by account manually to make sure it shows up where you want, system starts to become useful.

Pros

Eliminates the use of excel spreadsheets and circulation formula errors when dealing with multiple companies or consolidation.

Cons

difficult to set up for the first time. Very limited when you have to export to Excel because all data is exported as text format.

Liora D.

Reviewed on 22/03/2010

Great Tool

Highly recommend it, I looked around for a while and found that Budget Maestro offered a lot right out of the box and required very little effort to get up an running. Being able to import Actuals and measure against Budget is a breeze. Built-in cash flow and calance Sheet reporting won me over. I am very happy with my decision.

Pros

Was able to get up an running in a few hours. My trainer, quickly understood my objectives and helped setup my structure. Imported my chart of accounts exactly as I have them setup in my Dynamics GP in just a few minutes.

Cons

Interface looks old.

Donell S.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 07/06/2017

I use this software to help my company with general budgeting maintenance such as uploading...

Pros

The upload template is easy to use and doesn't require a lot of unneeded information. I like that any errors I get can be exported to excel making it easier to research the error.

Cons

The reporting could be a little better, in my opinion. Once added to a group, the entities can't be sorted. When drilling down into account detail the balances per entity are not in order. I think the only way to fix this would be to re-add each entity in the correct order, which would be very manual.

Gary K.

Budget Maestro

I recommend this product to a professional who takes the budget process seriously.

Pros

Excellent budget tool and a fair price.

Cons

Report generation is a little too slow.

Bj T.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 11/06/2021

Planning Maestro

Centage has been great to work with, from implementation to today, they have been a true partner on our budgeting and forecasting journey. I've always been happy to recommend them and their software.

Pros

Planning Maestro brought a platform that allowed us to integrate into our existing accounting platform and create a structured environment we could use to refine our budgeting and forecasting process.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say. When I have run into issues with the software I have always reached out to Centage and we have found ways to incorporate what I need into the software.

NetSuite

Reasons for Choosing Planning Maestro

The MF version we were on was no longer supported, and after having a taste of what it was like to use a budgeting and forecasting tool it was not an option to go back to excel.

Reasons for Switching to Planning Maestro

Planning Maestro had all the features we needed including, integration into our accounting platform, personnel tracking, report capabilities, etc.
David D.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 28/07/2015

Powerful, flexible, and reliable budgeting software

Pros

Their support team is always available to help you through any questions or difficulties you encounter. The training provided is top notch and thorough and your trainer sets up your financial report formats for you to match your current statements. My trainer is still my primary contact person for help and all I have to do is send him an email. The software itself has enough built-in power and flexibility it can handle all kinds of retail, distribution, or manufacturing scenarios, like for my company it is the need to build up inventory before a selling season and to do this for many different products and different selling seasons. Budget Maestro is capable of generating fairly accurate balance sheets and cash flow statements, in addition to income statements, as it has sections within it devoted to the balance sheet side of forecasting. Combining Link Maestro and Analytics Maestro to Budget Maestro provides the only solution one needs to not only generate a budget or forecast but to then generate all the financial reports, statements, breakdown analysis needed by management. With Budget Maestro I can drive my revenues, expenses, and inventory levels by units, not revenue dollars, which is a lot more accurate for forecasting when dealing with a wide variation of products, product costs and retail prices.

Cons

Financial statements and reports utilizing proper accounting format rules can be very hard or impossible to attain by generating them within Budget Maestro. To attain the proper formatting that I am trained in and accustomed to providing to my management team I have to export the reports out to Excel and apply the spacing, headers, underlining, and so on inside Excel. However, now with their recent addition of Analytics Maestro, this issue is gone as Analytics Maestro is an Excel add-on so that you create and format all your needed standard and custom reports inside Excel and use Analytics Maestro to drop in the numbers and data you want in each report or statement.

Kathlee P.

Reviewed on 21/05/2018

Budget Maestro is a solid tool, and I'm looking forward to enhanced features and functionality...

Pros

I do like the preview of the expense and how it will look like on the P&L. It really helps me make sure that my spread method is correct. I like analytics maestro. I can use excel to build reports. Also, it is easy to use the data to create charts and graphs and make the financial data consumable to those budget owners, who may not have a fiance background. I also like the ability to refresh and update the data quickly.

Cons

Reporting. In analytics the idea of building is great, reminds me a salesforce. But it is sooooo slow on the virtual desktop. From what I understand this will continue to be the case in BM9. Also the reporting within the software is slow as well. It takes anywhere from 1-3 minutes to run any report. Also, the inability to create a version and it to show up in all plans. For example, if we want to create version of our 3+9 Forecast

Naheel S.

Reviewed on 16/11/2016

Maestro Review

The product provided a very friendly user interface that was easy to navigate - even for people who did not receive formal training. The reports were clean and easy to follow.

Our accounting department who used the program daily to process hundreds of invoices did not have any negative feedback or comments about the use of the software.

Although we did not properly utilize the full potential of the product such as budgeting and PO preparation, to know that it exists was something that we will strive to use in the future.

Pros

User friendly interface and reports
Good drill down to get to source documents

Cons

No "out of the office" capability to use the software.
Would prefer a web interface option

Ravi karan K.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 10/11/2016

Budget Maestro: Extensive Financial Support Tool

Budget Maestro comes with built-in business and financial logic capabilities, which empowers users to quickly setup their own operating, account, and management reporting structures. It offers direct integration with the accounting systems’ actual GL. It is formula, function and link free which eliminates the risk associated with using Excel or other formula-based solutions. It has powerful what-if capabilities offering a real-time forecast of the financial health of the business. Using an add-on called Link Maestro, we can automate the exchange of financial information between their ERP systems and Budget Maestro.

Pros

1. Lesser data redundancy than excel.
2. Lesser chances of an error in data entry.
3. No requirement for validation of excel sheets.
4. Easier to audit.

Cons

1. Cost is a little high
2. Initial setup time longer than expected.

Rudrajyoti C.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

A scalable and secure budgeting and planning software

Budget Maestro provides automated software solution which has the functionality of sophisticated financial tools which helps in making better business decisions. The built-in finance logic uses profit and loss activities to automatically build balance sheets and thus, cash flow statements from it. It allows the user to organize data in a centralized application across each department with only the specified people being able to view it. This maintains the exactness of information and security of the data as well.

Pros

Available on-premise and cloud based, can be used on demand from any location.
Intuitive user interface.
A synchronized system in terms of logic and automatic calculations from data that is input in the system.
Free trail available

Cons

Little costly

Sundeep M.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 09/01/2018

Good moderately prices software

Lesser data redundancy than excel.

Pros

User friendly interface and reports and a good drill down to get to source documents. The forecasts with Budget Maestro can be easily modified based on real-time changes in conditions.

Cons

1. Not easily available on any computer in the office - would prefer a more office friendly product that could be easily transferred from one computer to the next.
2. No "out of the office" capability to use the software.
3. No access of information unless it was taken from the computer that was set up for Maestro.
Would prefer a web interface option

Femi A.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 25/04/2019

Budgeting and forecasting at its best

Pros

I love the analytics maestro, and this software is a good fit for SMEs

Cons

I cannot complain much but with all the great features, it is not for larger coporations