Propertyware Reviews

3.9

3.9

About Propertyware

Propertyware, a RealPage company, is a powerful, customizable and open all-in-one software solution designed to help Single Family property management companies run their business their way. Propertyware provides unmatched...

3.8
3.8
3.7

Browse Propertyware Reviews

Jim
Jim

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

Propertyware is the heart of our office operations

I have used and supported Propertyware in our franchise offices for over 5 years and have seen great progress in the features and services provided. They have adapted the core code to fit our specific needs.

Pros

I provide ongoing support to our franchisees. Propertyware was customized to how we do business and is designed to help our offices automate their processes. There is a very good customer support department but for our company specific questions, they call me. If I can't help them, I have a dedicated support technician I can contact.

Cons

It is a work in progress. New features are being added and at times it is hard to keep up with the changes.

Response from RealPage

Hi Jim -

I was just scanning our reviews and didn't see where anyone responded to you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate your positive comments.

Replied 23/04/2019
Bruce

Reviewed on 26/08/2021

Propertyware & QuickBooks

Very good. Excellent technical support, constantly improving features.

Pros

It is a good database and syncs financial information with QuickBooks

Cons

It's reporting features are limited. Sometimes the engineers will disable a feature while making other improvements.

Reasons for Choosing Propertyware

Yardi became very expensive and was not improving features. We decided to consolidate all of our bookkeeping functions into QuickBooks. Propertyware was able to give us this important function

Yardi Voyager

Reasons for Switching to Propertyware

As stated previously, the ability to sync financial information into a proprietary software file was paramount with us.
Charla

Reviewed on 08/11/2016

Is Propertyware a fit for everyone?

This is my first time using propertyware, and I was not an employee with the company when the decision was made to utilize the software. To my understanding it went something like this: "Oh this one looks good, lets get it" I think Propertyware is very well organized program when used properly, and utilized to its full potential. I also think its a fantastic program for multi family properties, where all units are located at one address. But as our company does all off site management, pre leasing, student housing, HOA's, and residential homes; the software is not quite designed for that. Therefore, I am left to manipulate it to the best of my ability. There are also specific requests from my employers that need to be met, and can be, but with way too many individual edits to be made. It becomes more time consuming than what the job at hand should take. I cannot give much of a review from when the company first began using the software, because I was not with the company at that time, but was told that the transfer of information from Quickbooks to Propertyware was a breeze. This alone can be a game changer if your property consists of 300+ units. All in all, I think Propertyware is a great software, but I do strongly believe there needs to be more training available to potential clients, so they can have a better understanding of how the entire system works. Each tab is a piece of the pie, but explaining that to tenants and owners can be a bit tricky at times.

Pros

The tenant/owner online accessibility is great!! They can view their ledgers and access their accounts at anytime. I also like how mistakes can be corrected, maybe not always easily, but that is solely based on my experience and how the software was presented to me as I joined the company. I enjoy how easily you can search for a lease or owner in the global search bar, and how in the left hand column it lists the recent places you were for easier access. Move ins and Move outs are seamless, granted the correct information is input into the software. The amount of reports that can be ran is endless, and feel as though I could have this software for years and still never have ran each report with all its options/filters. The management tab is designed (ideally) to create owner draws all at once, and for a multifamily property this is fantastic. With each tab, when creating something new, there are important details included. When used properly, it can make your reports a dream!!

Cons

Tenant/Owner ledgers are not very user friendly (in my experience) They reflect very much of an accountants bookkeeping, and not all tenants/owners are "CPAs" so at times it can become difficult to explain debits/credits or income/expenses. On only a few occasions have I had to call customer service and they did not have an answer for me, or a resolution. In their defense, these requests were quite specific and not something that was frequently asked. Sometimes the amount of options for reports can be a bit overkill. Owner draws were started with custom date ranges, and generated individually, which in turn makes it a bit more time consuming for me to create them. In addition, because of the custom date ranges, the owner statements are very time sensitive and if a mistake is made and not corrected with the same dates, it creates confusion for the owners when they review their statements at the end of the year.

Top Propertyware Alternatives

QuickBooks Desktop

Yard Management Solutions

Colin

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

Propertyware review

It’s better than Quick books which is what we used prior to PW.

Pros

Better than quickbooks. The maintenance management section works well

Cons

Not intuitive. I would absolutely hate it if support wasn’t so great. Software seems to be built by accountants for accountants. Simple tasks are more difficult than than they need to be.

Response from RealPage

Hi Colin. Thanks for your review. Be sure to check out Propertyware University by clicking on the "Training" link in the upper-right section of your account.

Replied 01/05/2024
Richard

Reviewed on 03/09/2021

Propertyware Software - ease of use, many features and awesome support

Pros

The software has many useful features for example Custom fields, customized reporting, and automated scheduling of reports. Integration with DocuSign is a huge time saver. The support is awesome. I always get a response from my initial phone call to support.

Cons

I think there is room for improvement on the mobile app other than that I am extremely happy with the software.

Rent Manager

Reasons for Choosing Propertyware

Appfolio was horrible, no support, Had to wait up to a week fro a response

Reasons for Switching to Propertyware

I felt it was a better product
Dan

Reviewed on 21/10/2021

Do not Choose Propertyware

Horrible. Will not recommend.

Pros

I really like their customer support. Im consistently on the phone with them, because its such a bad software, but at least theres people to help solve issues.

Cons

Lots of things I hate about this software... Its clunky, its not intuitive at all, PW slow payments and make their money through interest. Imagine billions running through their bank accounts and they hold tenants and owners moneys for on average 7 business days per month. Tenants and Owners all hate using their portals.

Response from RealPage

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your feedback. To clarify about our electronic payment processing, it should only take 3 - 5 business days (which excludes holidays and weekends) for the funds to clear. During this process, a series of actions take place to ensure the funds are available, decreasing the likelihood of a reversal.

If you find your payments consistently take longer than 5 business days to fund, please reach out to customer support at 800-704-0154 Option 5 & 1. They will happily assist you to investigate what could be causing the delay.

- Charlie W.

Replied 29/10/2021
Deric

Reviewed on 26/08/2021

Propertyware Review

Pros

It is customizable to an extent and allows us to have a one-stop shop for our property management division. The customer service is great, so many times they are able to troubleshoot any tech issues on the backend and/or explain how to accomplish a goal we are seeking from the product.

Cons

There are technology issues on the backend at times and we have encountered various backend issues since we started using the product. However, I do see improvements over time so this shows that the Propertyware team is actively working on solutions, which is great!

Clarisse

Reviewed on 04/05/2021

User Friendly

Pros

The reports and how to record anything using this software are very easy.

Cons

Hopefully they have better features for maintenance and text messaging.

AppFolio Property Manager and Buildium

Reasons for Switching to Propertyware

This is famous software also recommended by my friends in the same industry.
Ralph

Reviewed on 29/08/2023

Properyware review

Overall, it is acceptable for a real estate rental business.

Pros

Ease of entering payments, reconciliations, bill payment, good variety of mgmt reports

Cons

The accounting does not really coincide with accepted accounting principals, consequently I have to double check accounting entries before preparing tax returns. Support representatives service below par at times also hard to communicate with them sometimes.

Pedro

Reviewed on 27/03/2024

Propertyware

Pros

Easy to use, very user friendly. Overall a good system and good support.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is the system to pull the screenings for Equifax, if there is even a small mistake on the prospect page it will not give you Equifax score and I have to call you every time. I am calling you at least 2 or 3 times a week to your support because of this.

Response from RealPage

Hi Pedro, thanks for taking the time to write a review. To clarify on the screening matter, in order to ensure true reports are being returned to you so you can make an informed decision, information provided for screenings must be accurate.

Replied 01/05/2024

Reviewed on 21/10/2021

Southern Classic Management Services, Inc

There is no way possible we could manage the amount of properties we manage without Propertyware, or a comparable product. We are vey happy with Propertyware and see they are always trying to improve on their product. Sometimes improvement, like with Quickbooks, makes life harder. No so with Propertyware. They do the work outside of office hours and it is seamless when launched, no causing the product to run slower.

Pros

We find we use this product in many ways. Just a few ways would be keeping up with leases, reports for our owners, tracking maintenance needs, collection of funds and staying on top of late paying tenants, keeping track of security deposits held, keeping and balancing checking accounts and invoicing tenants . We find most times this product is easy to use and when we have a problem, tech support is very good. We love Propertyware.

Cons

We cannot minimize when sending an email from Propertyware. Sometimes we need to view the tenants summary or ledger to get information to complete the email to the tenant. This causes us to have to either close the email and start over from scratch or open Propertyware in another tab so we can see the tenants information needed to write the email. Having Propertyware open under two tabs can be dangerous when you perform certain tasks.

The body of the email you are trying to send does not have spell check. This causes us to have to copy and paste the email to a word processer to spell check it and then copy and paste back to the email if any corrections were made. The subject line of the email has spell check and we do not understand why the body of the email cannot have it as well to stream line the process.
We would love to see a way Propertyware could take into consideration the owner owes a commission when paying bills. Presently we have to post management fees, edit the checks produced by entering the word Delete as the check number and then we can pay bills and not use all money in the portfolio, leaving money to be able to pay the commission owed. The next week we have to delete the checks produced, post management fees again, edit the checks again before we can pay bills again. It is a work around but it would be nice not to have to use it.

Brion

Reviewed on 29/10/2021

My Propertyware (Ongoing) Experience

I'd be lost without Propertyware. I chose Propertyware for my business because it was a software, I was already familiar with from a previous place of employment. I cannot speak from comparison as Propertyware is all I've ever known for Property Management software. I can only say that it has worked well for me, and I don't see myself searching for another software.

Pros

It's difficult to determine what I like most about this software as there are many features that I find essential. I guess I would say the bookkeeping aspect is what I like most. If used properly, it will help you keep track of all funds, in and out and who/where they came from or where they are going. The reports feature is a close second as everything is made pretty clear for accounting purposes.

Cons

I find the learning curve to be what I like least about this software, but I don't fault the software for it. Bookkeeping is not my forte, but I know how important it is for the job. Propertyware made it as easy as possible for someone who is not savvy to accounting. It just takes a while and can be stressful as you're often dealing with other peoples' money.

rebecca

Reviewed on 14/06/2016

Awful, awful, awful

I negatively recommend this product- meaning I tell people to use anything EXCEPT them. I hate them. We've used them for 5 years. The software is a joke. At this point, we are so entrenched, I am afraid to switch to a new system, which may be just as bad if not worse. I've been asking for 6 months to get credit card processing turned on. Guess what, still not on. The "sales rep" is supposed to be your point of contact, but they tell you to call support. support tells you to call subscriptions. Subscriptions has a voicemail box no one ever checks or returns calls from. I could indeed write a book, like another review said. The answer to every single support case I have ever submitted is "user error" or "we don't know" or "it's never actually worked the way you say it used to work, it has always worked this way" even though I know it used to do something different or I wouldn't have said anything in the first place! I just changed my prepayment account from pay out to escrow. It backdated! So now I have 5 years worth of owners who have wrong balances. And there is " nothing they can do".

Pros

nothing. Not a single thing.

Cons

tenant ledger- can't read, can't see what is paid and what isn't.
Owner statements- literally NO ONE can figure them out. we had to create a "how to understand your owner statements" pdf to send to owners with their first statements. I've looked through all the options. The one we use is the most simple.
Color scheme- the general color scheme of the entire website is awful. Can't read bills through the "unpaid" watermark that is darker than the actual bill writing.

Pamela

Reviewed on 19/04/2023

An Absolute must for property management

It is a great program, the texting is awesome. I would love an option that we can text a number and not have that number in our system... for instance.. i need to text a perspective tenant but they are not in the system.. so i have to set them up as a contact and thats a process..

Pros

Integration is a snap. The text messaging option makes communcation so much easier.

Cons

I wish that lease extensions for the future would be easier. If there was a way to draft the lease extension without changing the actual lease i could get these done much sooner but being that i have to change the actual "lease end date" in the lease and the amounts in auto pay to make it populate i cant do them early.

Response from RealPage

Thank you for your review, Pamela! We're so glad you like the texting and you've got some great suggestions on what you'd like to see in the feature going forward. Be sure to also voice these suggestions to our customer service team, as they can properly log them for the developers to review.

Thanks again!
- Charlie

Replied 10/07/2023
Aaliyah

Reviewed on 31/05/2022

Good product but improvements could be made.

Good overall but still looking for ways to improve the business. I do look for other SW options from time to time. We have been looking at Doorloop at the moment.

Pros

Good product but improvements could be made. Overall I do like this product. I have not used other PM products so I can't really say what I like best.

Cons

Customization and automation.
In 2022 I believe automation is becoming very important. There are some tedious tasks that I believe could be reduced or completely removed by adding automation. Setting up custom auto emails and alerts would be tremendously helpful to our business.
We loved the idea of the docusign integration but it had some limitations to we removed the feature. It would not allow us to add/edit certain things before sending (without going and editing the whole template. Not all leases are the same so we need a little flexibility) so I think this could be an incredible feature with some improvements.
Text message feature was a good idea but had no mass text functions at the time so we got rid of it. This would also be a good spot for auto texts.
CONDITIONAL LOGIC would also be an amazing addition.

Reviewed on 20/07/2021

Propertyware Observations

The ease in paying bills & owners plus making correcting journal entries is very nice. My biggest issues is just moving around Propertyware from one location to another and then trying to get back to where you started. It is like there is a total disconnect between screen locations.

Pros

The real time transactions/balances of owner portals is very nice for reporting purposes and hands on access for owners. Managing reports for automated distribution to owners is very helpful. Tenant portal access to pay rent and make maintenance request is nice. Making online payments to vendors pulling out of the owners portal balance is great!! Automated owner draws helps immensely.

Cons

Propertyware has a lot of information that it collects but it is very clunky when moving to different windows. Moving from one screen to another is difficult compared to other soft-wares. The data is there it simply does not connect well to each other. It would be helpful if Propertyware had a global search screen for everything in the database.

Chari

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

Totally User Friendly

Excellent software/program. Excellent customer service.

Pros

The Propertyware program is very user friendly. Not just that, but the support you receive if you have any questions or concerns is top notch! I occasionally run into some sort of problem and just about every time I've ever called Support, the representative I speak with solves my problem with very little effort. Two times in the 9 years I've been using this program, I have run into a problem that could't be solved by the rep that I speak with. They try to the best of their ability, but then let me know that it needs to be escalated to someone else. Both times, I received a call the next morning with the solution! The reps are always friendly, respectful and no question is treated as "stupid"! Tney are great!

Cons

I don't use all of the features because I'm a Tenant Relations Supervisor and do not work with the maintenance or owner features. I don't feel there are any cons to the part of the program that I use.

Jeanine

Reviewed on 21/04/2022

Great software for a small business

Customer service is generally helpful.

Pros

Online tenant portal really helps corporate office as well as the tenant

Cons

They do not have a feature that clones JE that are more than one item at a time. Example is the monthly Property Tax Accruals have to be typed in every month by hand. If you use the new recurring entries function it will only do one account per entry which is bot good when you have many properties. One monthly entry for one property can be 4 recurring JE to cover that. Just not workable. To much to have to check each month to see if its in correctly.
Many of the reports you cannot pull all information into one report. You have to use several and get them into excel takes time. If the information is all in PW wish the information flowed to all reports.

Response from RealPage

Hi Jeanine,

Please reach out to customer care for suggestions on how to handle bulk journal entries or to make a feature suggestion.

Thanks for your review!

- Charlie W

Replied 06/05/2022
Heather

Reviewed on 22/04/2022

Great Software for Property Management

Overall is a great software to use. We manage 500 properties and provide owner accounting through the property ware reports.

Pros

I like the concise clear view of the features of this software. Other softwares are too cluttered and excel based. This software is more modern in view and cleaner to operate.

Cons

Technicial support. Whenever I call about glitches mainly in bill pay with partial payment applications, I'm on the phone at minimum for an hour and they can never fix it right away.

AppFolio Property Manager and Rently
Donna

Reviewed on 20/01/2022

Overall Look into PropertyWare

Overall it has been very good and I have referred other owners to Properware.

Pros

Easy to learn and teach other. Pricing is great for small companies.

Cons

You can not get to a Chart of Accounts by typing in the name you have to remember the number. This is very hard when you have a very large chart of accounts list like we do.

Rent Manager

Reasons for Choosing Propertyware

Tenant Pro was being phased out and we had to change to another program.

Reasons for Switching to Propertyware

Easy to use and the cost.
Lorelle

Reviewed on 29/04/2021

Reports

Overall, my experience with Propertyware has been pleasant. It could be made a bit more fun with a few more graphics. :)

Pros

The software is basically easy to learn and to use. The menu is well organized and clearly visible, in that the appropriate sectors are available from any screen. There are complete and detailed videos for learning the software as well.

Cons

What I did not like about this program is that the Report section is quite limited; you are not able to select any field and prepare a report in any manner that you might need to prepare information. For instance, you have to select a certain section of Report (Desktop, Finance, Lease, etc.); this is fine, except that not every field is available even within that section to add to a Report. It can become very constricting and difficult to find the field you want to place within a report.
There should be more flexibility in both the ability to create a report by selecting the fields you want without hunting through the sections. A complete alphabetical field list would be very helpful for people who are familiar with utilizing databases.
The calendar also needs to have more options in order of searching and printing according to user.

Nina

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

I was a bookkeeper and the team lead for dealing with issues on Propertyware.

Pros

The integration into rent, and ledger system. It was easy to pay vendors in bulk and they have an Owner payment system that most companies don't have.

Cons

The timetable to fix community wide issues was Very POOR!!! They would have us submit requests on a Community Board and wait for votes, supposedly the ideas with most votes would be worked on. Trouble is there were SEVERAL complaints about the same issues with 1000's of votes that sat on the system for 2 years!!! Still new people would call, complain and write ideas to no avail. It seemed the tech team or development leaders would choose the easiest tasks to fix and leave the real issues alone. They'd agree to work on a simple font or logo design but ignore the bigger issue of reports or accounting. This was a constant issue and aggravating. I had to run several reports into an Excel and merge them to get the information needed.

LE

Reviewed on 28/07/2017

Extremely frustrating experience!

Pros

It is an improvement over using Excel spreadsheets as our repository for tenant activity and maintenance requests.

Cons

Process from the get-go signing the contract until now as users has been a huge pain. Their contract is very unclear and uses terms only they understand. They kept making errors in the contracts and had to re-send multiple times. Implementation was very high level and they push you to take training courses on your own time to learn the software. Set up process did not go smoothly. Couldn't get check scanner to work even after hours on the phone with Support. One key reason we chose this software was because of its ability to sync with QuickBooks. But they provided incorrect training materials on the sync to QuickBooks and also gave conflicting answers on other questions I had about the sync so I ultimately lost confidence in trusting the data to sync with QuickBooks accurately. Some Support reps cannot answer basic questions about the software nevertheless technical questions. Software is not intuitive. Reports are not user-friendly. Biggest frustration though is the constant billing errors. Each time I look at our billing history there is a new surprise. They will charge our account and provide no supporting details for the charges. Most of the time it's been due to an error that I have to bring to their attention to get reversed. It has been an extremely frustrating process from beginning to end. Look forward to investigating other software programs as we getting closer to our contract expiration.

Angela

Reviewed on 21/12/2017

Huge learning curve

I've been using the software for at least a year and keep thinking I'll get used to it. I'm coming from other property management software so I'm familiar with the property management software features. It's almost like using an old Microsoft computer before windows. I would prefer a few buttons nice and easy and keep the data sheets in the background for the geeks.

Pros

This software seems to be very robust. Certainly it can do just about anything. It allows you to manage just about anything that rents on a monthly basis. Storage units, shampoo stations, or HOA, you can manage it with this software. I love that the tenants have their own portals and maintenance requests are easy.

Cons

It's NOT user friendly. Every step takes three or four clicks of buttons. The words used are not intuitive either. Need to find a vendor? Go to Money out. Need to send leases? Go to Mail Merge. Moving in a tenant takes manual entry of a number of things including the rent amounts and move in dates. Leases don't auto populate with the number of signers. Each time the number of signers changes it requires a manual change of the each field: date, signature field, and the name fields.

Stella

Reviewed on 15/11/2021

Most Diverse Property Management Software

Overall it has been a good experience.

Pros

We just signed with PW. It was a bit of a rough conversion but the support from PropertyWare was amazing! We've had a lot of blood, sweat and tears but felt that the team assigned to us was right there beside us. The creation of reports adds a lot of benefit to our clients.

Cons

Having to go through different links to get to something. On the Association side- the fact that it calls owners tenants causes heartburn with our Association owners.