About Denali Business

Cougar Mountain Software’s Denali Business is an accounting solution with the ability to customize 10 integrated modules. It is for small to midsize businesses and can be deployed on premises or in the cloud. Key features include...

Browse Denali Business Reviews

60 of 112,320 reviews
Bob B.

Reviewed on 11/03/2018

Great for small to mid-size buisenes

Pros

Modular based product that allows businesses to choose from the suite not forcing businesses to purchase modules that are not needed. The modular base allowed us to purchased what we needed when we were ready.

Cons

The interface is a bit out dated and could use some revamping. The functionality is great just could used an update to the UI.

Ernest B.

Reviewed on 18/01/2016

Being a user of this software for more than twenty years over all I it

Pros

It is a very stable platform and the service we get from computer team is first class

Cons

they use a genuis credit card capturing device and we feel that the device should capture the signature of our customers that have an open account. we have to have the customer sign twice or copy the A/R invoice!

John F.

Reviewed on 13/11/2015

Denali is full of Bugs, report information is inaccurate. Information cannot be trusted

Examples
1.Purchase Order generated an incorrect back order PO- the quantity on the PO was not what was in the Inventory Master Record. 2.The General Ledger impact report in Edit does not show accurate balances. 3. Interface with UPS Worldship does not work. 4. The daily backup only goes to a Local C Drive on a desktop. 5. Customer Statements have incorrect due dates. 6. Cannot print a Zero Dollar Invoice, but it does process through posting. 7. The percentages over Min and Max do not always work in PO. 8. Cannot modify existing reports as the data fields available are very restricted.

Plus- Crystal reporting tool works very well and can be used to generate stand alone reports directly from underlying files. System speed is very good. Report output allows for export to excel files. Easy to publish adjusted standard reports. Reprint a posting in GL very helpful.

Response from Cougar Mountain Software

Thanks for your comments. Your points are acknowledged. We have received a design change request related to PO-generation. Also, you are right about the UPS Worldwide interface. That interface was in CMS Pro (our legacy product) but was never implemented in Denali. There are a couple of points that are unknown to us. These include the issue with the Impact Summary and the issue with the Customer Statement. We¿ve searched our records for reports of these problems without finding them. We welcome your help in recreating those. Some of the points align with the expected use of the product. The backup does not have to be saved only to the local C drive, it can be saved to any networked location. Also, zero dollar invoices are not printed as the default in Denali because many (most) customers do not want them to print. (You can print these invoices manually by selecting All as the invoice type to print.)

We are constantly improving Denali and appreciate your input to the process.

Replied 05/12/2015

Top Denali Business Alternatives

Josh J.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 26/09/2018

Excellent Payroll System For Our Non Profit!

Pros

We were really excited to get started with growing our non profit but quickly became weary of the accounting requirements when paying individuals. It's been an amazing growth step in our organization.

Cons

It took some time to transition into this platform from our regular payroll system. However, with their support this was a quick and easy transition.

Aaron P.

Reviewed on 02/12/2014

Denali is the best!

Pros

I like the inventory control the best. I also like the fact that Cougar Mountain has regular updates and that they are always striving to improve their product.

Cons

I'd like to be able to better customize what and how a screen looks and acts. As far as the vendor, the thing I like the least about them is sometimes it's hard to get through to support.

Betty R.

Reviewed on 30/11/2015

Not user friendly

I know that we have an outdated version of your software, but find it to be not user friendly and when you call for help, you are initially put on hold for as much as 45 minutes and then it takes the whole day to get a call back.
When I need help, I need it at the time...
No need to contact us, we are changing software and are about to go live.

Response from Cougar Mountain Software

Betty, thank you for posting your feedback. We certainly can understand the frustration of waiting for support. We released Denali, our latest and flagship product, many years ago and have concentrated our support staff on meeting the needs of the growing volume of Denali users. The result has been that the number of staff trained and available to service customers that remain on our heritage product (CMS Pro) has dwindled. Because there are fewer available staff that know this aging product the result is longer response times for customers that remain on that product. We are sad to hear that you will be converting to another accounting product but wish you well and good business in the coming years.

Replied 10/12/2015
Margaret A.

Reviewed on 19/02/2016

Partial usage of software

We only use Cougar Mountain to post information from our hand written invoices. We post invoice #, total due and customer po# only. This gives us an ability to mail a statement with payments posted against it. It does give us a report to use for Sales Tax. We do not have inventory or A/P on this system.

Shannon H.

Reviewed on 10/03/2016

We have been using Cougar Mtn for 15 years now, I prefer it over Quickbooks.

Customer service is great, software is easy to use, updates are pretty painless. Transaction codes can be a little tricky and some of the windows are small and harder to read for us older folks! Overall I would recommend Cougar Mountain.

Darthie A.

Reviewed on 11/03/2016

Great software and very user friendly.

Currently using Cougar Mountain Pro 2016. The Software Assurance program is a must have. The customer service department (online and over the phone) is exceptional! Please continue to offer support for us Pro users for a very long time.

Nick A.

Reviewed on 26/04/2016

I have been using the Cougar Mountain for the last 30 years and I never change it till now

one of the best software ans software support
I am an Accountant and i use it for all my clients

Response from Cougar Mountain Software

Thank You Nick.

Replied 26/05/2016
Tammy B.

Reviewed on 04/02/2016

I use the Denali Payroll and it is very easy to use and the software support people are great !

Very easy to learn and easy to use

Sarah J.
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 02/08/2017

Learn something new everyday and great for the price

Easy to use and learn

Pros

Cougar Mountain Denali software was user-friendly and able to access at any level. Very easy to use and the issues has been rectified easily

Cons

Some of the features cost extra money. poor code requires constant updates and can't able to look back at transactions

Mark B.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 05/09/2017

Many features not right. My CPA hates the software.

Anything that is wrong with the software, they make you feel it's your fault, or they designed it that way.
Customer service feels like it's run by a your worst nightmare of a Cable Company.

Pros

History. I love history for my customer's past purchase. Multi Level Pricing for inventory. 2 Must haves for my business.

Cons

Software is more suited for a simple Cash drawer.
Forget a mixed environment, card swipe and online terminals for Credit card processing. Even Cougar Mountain does not use integrated Card Processing themselves.

Credit Cards processed though Sales do not show in Bank Reconciliation, yet Card Payments in AR do show in Bank Reconciliation.
Ask why, Because you might not make the deposit from the Sale. Just a example of odd answers from Management.

Many things just don't work the way they should. Warnings that an invoice is not printed before posting also include any on hold order not printed.

Ship To address files have crossed variables. A Ship To Company Name is NOT used anywhere but in the UI for entering. Contact name becomes the Ship to Company name. This was "designed" this way.

eDelivery for Invoices/Statements still limited to 75 pages per run after software has been around for a year. Their solution, just select less than 75.
eDelivery Software then tosses out system level errors. Solution, Reboot your computer as Windows 10 Pro is at fault. Even a computer from Cougar, setup just for their software.

Kathy R.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 14/06/2016

I have used Cougar Mountain Denali for 3 years.

Pros

This product is very easy to use. It is user friendly. The support team is excellent. I receive return calls the same day.

Cons

Wish I had more options on the reports. The programing you can do yourself for custom reports hasn't been easy.

John G.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 18/08/2016

Non-Profit, Multi country, Multi currency, multi user installtions

Pros

Multi user and multi currency. the customer support is great. they do quickly respond to us. they have great remote desktop software to control your machine and quickly help with problems.

Cons

poor code requiring constant updates/fixes.., which most time is Full 3gb .iso install. since we are spread across the globe most of these I have to get very large iso across very slow, high latency, frequent dropped VSAT connections. frequent code generated end of year imbalances which requires yet another upgrade... hardcoded SA access for database queries.. published SA password so one code easily hack any competitors databases. until the last round of Installations very careful, undocumented tricks for installation.

Shivakshi C.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

Cougar Mountain DENALI

Cougar Mountain DENALI is ideal for small to mid-size companies. Very cost-effective yet plenty of features. Easy to learn and use. The software is very stable and secure. I do like it a lot and need to learn a lot of things right now.

Pros

Manages an unlimited amount of inventory and concurrent users.
Amazing customer support.

Cons

Many features costs extra money, even after purchasing the separate module.

Brian Y.

Reviewed on 20/01/2016

20+ years of solid performance

Pro's - Easy data entry, batch processing, data integrity.
Con's - Not easily customizable (lots of extra data fields to enter thru in data entry), sub-ledgers have to be balanced to control accounts manually (a/p and a/r ledgers versus balances in General ledger) - doesn't not flag when they are out of balance. Financial reports are very basic. No cash-flow reports.

Overall, I am very pleased with this accounting package.

Thomas S.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 17/11/2016

Antique or Old - Not Innovative or Disruptive

I used cougar Mountain software, Denali For about a week when I realize the software was old, antiquated, and lackluster. In today's business world I need a software that as agile and innovative so I can be disruptive in making excellent business decisions. While the product might be cheap you get what you pay for.

Pros

I thought I liked price, think again

Cons

Antiquated, old, lackluster simply not good compared to what's in the market today.

Regina O.

Reviewed on 23/12/2015

Used in a small non-profit, GL for about 4 years and Payroll for over 10 years

The software is easy to learn and use. We don't use all of the available features but the ones we use work well. The reporting is substantial and easy to access and customize. We have always received very helpful and knowledgeable support when needed. The only "con" I would mention is that the "Help" screens within the software are sometimes a little hard to follow.

Tom F.

Reviewed on 22/02/2016

Very comprehensive accounting and POS solution

Very well thought out and flexible system allows us to track our inventory with custom reports.
All accounting modules are covered and fully integrated providing a comprehensive solution.
Customer support is sometimes slow and not all support personnel are helpful.

Tammy W.

Reviewed on 04/02/2016

Cougar responds to my questions within the day.

It is user friendly.
I like the idea of being able to export to a excel or another type of software, BUT it does not put the file in workbook form, there for it looks just like the Denali printed copy.

Mark D.

Reviewed on 14/01/2016

Generally good integrated package

Good integrated product. Generally difficult to get a tech support person right away or during non-peak business hours. POS falls short with marketing tools to support retention / repeat business.

Sue S.

Reviewed on 11/11/2015

Works great, customer service is always expensive

Wish you could pay to update the tax forms (Crystal Reports/Aatrix, without having to purchase an expensive new version of Denali every year (about $1100.00 )!

Gregory F.

Reviewed on 02/12/2015

Used for about 30 yrs. Mostly satisfied.

Easy to customize to different business types.
Support and updates have been somewhat expensive.

Raoul P.

Reviewed on 30/11/2015

great

Been using Cougar back when we had it in DOS (many years) and has worked great for us!