About Denali Business

Cougar Mountain Software’s Denali Business is an accounting solution with the ability to customize 10 integrated modules. It is for small to midsize businesses and can be deployed on premises or in the cloud. Key features include...

Browse Denali Business Reviews

Sandy H.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 31/03/2016

We learn something new everyday, their customer service is exceptional

Pros

The integration of all of the packages and the easy customization to your needs.

Cons

The payroll package. I do not like the payroll reports. I am used to easier payroll reports for my payroll taxes and I do not like that I have to use an outside Payroll company to be able to easily see what I owe. Yes I can figure it out but without the use of the outside Payroll company but with it, it is 1000 times faster. But for the extra cost of the outside company, I doubt my employer would even consider it. The customer service of Cougar Mountain is exceptional. No complaints here.

David S.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 03/11/2015

Best value in accounting software I have ever seen.

Pros

It can be tailored to fit nearly any need. With CMS I can get the Custom Modifications I need for some of my special needs. Right out of the box it has so many customizable options you can not imagine what all it can do. If you can not fid a way, just call CMS. They can and will find a way to fit everything you need.

Cons

It is not a pop-the-top and pour software. It can be a little complex for the beginner. But with time and use you can usually make it perform however you need.

Annette H.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
1.5
1.5

Reviewed on 18/07/2014

DENALI is a disappointing followup to CMS

Pros

I've been with Cougar since 1990 and have always felt their product gives way more value and flexibility than any other out there on the market. They had a good product in CMS ACT. They also have US-based customer service.

Cons

DENALI is not ready for roll out. It seems like Cougar forgot all the lessons they learned through their DOS and CMS products. The reports are terrible and less informative than those in CMS. I'm having to do manual calculations to determine taxable wages. They don't include sick time, vacation time, or PTO in their history reports, and frankly I haven't figured out where I can get an accurate reporting of total gross wages or taxable wages. Their sort fields work only intermittently (page break on employee = page break on every check!). Denali feels like it was cobbled together and rolled out before it had even measured up to the standards of ACT; it's definitely not an "upgrade"! I'm so disappointed in Denali that I am considering evaluating other software moving forward, as Denali is not meeting my needs or providing the data I need for our reconciliation and internal accounting processes. In all fairness, I haven't updated to Denali 4.1 SP1 yet, and some of these issues may have been resolved.

Ronald I.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 15/07/2016

FAYETTE COUNTY HEAD START

Pros

The Support Staff is outstanding. Every time I have needed them they have solved the problem or answered my question successfully.

Cons

Some of the reports need improvement. The payroll reports should be keyed more to the information needed for quarterly reporting. They need to allow for more than one accounting year to be open at at time.

Kelly F.

Reviewed on 18/04/2017

easy customization

I like that you can get as much detail or as little detail as you require on your reports. The financial statements, trial balances, and audit trails work to assist you in finding any posting errors. Security (audit trails), customization abilities, training videos, knowledgeable and timely answers to questions/problems. I like the integration of the modules (ie.e purchase order, to inventory, to accounts payable, to general ledger). This speeds up all data entry. We really like being able to archive reports rather than printing reams. Overall, this software is great!

Pros

I like the inventory control the best. I also like the fact that Cougar Mountain has regular updates and that they are always striving to improve their product.

Cons

I'd like to be able to better customize what and how a screen looks and acts.

Bonnie F.

Reviewed on 18/07/2016

Interstate Battery of Sioux City - Bonnie

Pros

We have been using CMS since at least since 1987 and have had no problems, easy to work with

Cons

Support is awesome but we don't have to call very often at all, the whole group is great to work with

Cheri B.

Reviewed on 23/11/2015

I would never reccommend Cougar Mountain

I am very unhappy with Cougar Mtn. and the software...things do not balance and know one can tell us why.
They have messed up our Customer notes and can not fix so now we really have a mess.
When I ask a question, I am told they can not answer that and they don't know why the reports look the way they do???
One report won't even print out with the correct customer address and days have been spent trying to fix it and it wasn't fixed....customer order sheets have the incorrect address or no address

Response from Cougar Mountain Software

Thank you for your feedback. We are certainly sorry that you have experienced these issues. Our records indicate that we have, on numerous occasions, attempted to recreate the issues you have noted. Thus far we have not been able to successfully identify an issue. We¿ve even used your data but still have not been able to reproduce the errors. We, unfortunately, see a pattern of customer problems related to the use of our heritage software (CMS Pro) and the new versions of the Windows operating system. When other customers have experienced these types of issues, we have seen that the upgrade to our newest version of accounting software, Denali, and successful data conversation, has eliminated many of the issues you have described. We encourage you to investigate upgrading from our older technology to the latest version of Denali accounting software.

Replied 29/04/2016
Jean N.

Reviewed on 21/04/2016

Long-term Customer

I began using the software from Cougar Mountain in the early 1990's. I had previously used software from two other companies with the first being too skimpy on reports and the second developed a major glitch. The initial set-up of the information was easy, and once the system was up and running, I was thrilled with the results and the detailed reports. I have used and upgraded the software various times, and to this day I'm still extremely happy and quite content with Cougar Mountain. Due to the detailed reports which it is able to produce, we have been able to substantially keep our CPA fees to a minimum. We also use corresponding checks from Cougar Mountain for our Accounts Payable and Payroll transactions due to the ease of ordering, consistency, and fast shipping.

Clement O.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 19/01/2017

Cougar Mountain Review

The product was fairly easy to use. However, it did not meet our expectations nor was it easy to use. We would ask customer support for help but could never get the issues rectified.

Christine C.

Reviewed on 07/04/2011

Reports

I have used this software since 1990. Need I say more?

Pros

Variety of viewing
Personal options
Download to spreadsheets
Design your own

Cons

Too many options in Report Writer and no time to learn them all.

Mary C.

Reviewed on 17/01/2016

I'm a new user and continue to discover great features

Pros - ease of use, customer service, exports, choices of report output
Cons - can't view posted batches or journals

Mark B.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 05/09/2017

Many features not right. My CPA hates the software.

Anything that is wrong with the software, they make you feel it's your fault, or they designed it that way.
Customer service feels like it's run by a your worst nightmare of a Cable Company.

Pros

History. I love history for my customer's past purchase. Multi Level Pricing for inventory. 2 Must haves for my business.

Cons

Software is more suited for a simple Cash drawer.
Forget a mixed environment, card swipe and online terminals for Credit card processing. Even Cougar Mountain does not use integrated Card Processing themselves.

Credit Cards processed though Sales do not show in Bank Reconciliation, yet Card Payments in AR do show in Bank Reconciliation.
Ask why, Because you might not make the deposit from the Sale. Just a example of odd answers from Management.

Many things just don't work the way they should. Warnings that an invoice is not printed before posting also include any on hold order not printed.

Ship To address files have crossed variables. A Ship To Company Name is NOT used anywhere but in the UI for entering. Contact name becomes the Ship to Company name. This was "designed" this way.

eDelivery for Invoices/Statements still limited to 75 pages per run after software has been around for a year. Their solution, just select less than 75.
eDelivery Software then tosses out system level errors. Solution, Reboot your computer as Windows 10 Pro is at fault. Even a computer from Cougar, setup just for their software.

Kathy R.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 14/06/2016

I have used Cougar Mountain Denali for 3 years.

Pros

This product is very easy to use. It is user friendly. The support team is excellent. I receive return calls the same day.

Cons

Wish I had more options on the reports. The programing you can do yourself for custom reports hasn't been easy.

John G.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 18/08/2016

Non-Profit, Multi country, Multi currency, multi user installtions

Pros

Multi user and multi currency. the customer support is great. they do quickly respond to us. they have great remote desktop software to control your machine and quickly help with problems.

Cons

poor code requiring constant updates/fixes.., which most time is Full 3gb .iso install. since we are spread across the globe most of these I have to get very large iso across very slow, high latency, frequent dropped VSAT connections. frequent code generated end of year imbalances which requires yet another upgrade... hardcoded SA access for database queries.. published SA password so one code easily hack any competitors databases. until the last round of Installations very careful, undocumented tricks for installation.

Shivakshi C.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

Cougar Mountain DENALI

Cougar Mountain DENALI is ideal for small to mid-size companies. Very cost-effective yet plenty of features. Easy to learn and use. The software is very stable and secure. I do like it a lot and need to learn a lot of things right now.

Pros

Manages an unlimited amount of inventory and concurrent users.
Amazing customer support.

Cons

Many features costs extra money, even after purchasing the separate module.

Brian Y.

Reviewed on 20/01/2016

20+ years of solid performance

Pro's - Easy data entry, batch processing, data integrity.
Con's - Not easily customizable (lots of extra data fields to enter thru in data entry), sub-ledgers have to be balanced to control accounts manually (a/p and a/r ledgers versus balances in General ledger) - doesn't not flag when they are out of balance. Financial reports are very basic. No cash-flow reports.

Overall, I am very pleased with this accounting package.

Thomas S.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 17/11/2016

Antique or Old - Not Innovative or Disruptive

I used cougar Mountain software, Denali For about a week when I realize the software was old, antiquated, and lackluster. In today's business world I need a software that as agile and innovative so I can be disruptive in making excellent business decisions. While the product might be cheap you get what you pay for.

Pros

I thought I liked price, think again

Cons

Antiquated, old, lackluster simply not good compared to what's in the market today.

Regina O.

Reviewed on 23/12/2015

Used in a small non-profit, GL for about 4 years and Payroll for over 10 years

The software is easy to learn and use. We don't use all of the available features but the ones we use work well. The reporting is substantial and easy to access and customize. We have always received very helpful and knowledgeable support when needed. The only "con" I would mention is that the "Help" screens within the software are sometimes a little hard to follow.

Tom F.

Reviewed on 22/02/2016

Very comprehensive accounting and POS solution

Very well thought out and flexible system allows us to track our inventory with custom reports.
All accounting modules are covered and fully integrated providing a comprehensive solution.
Customer support is sometimes slow and not all support personnel are helpful.

Tammy W.

Reviewed on 04/02/2016

Cougar responds to my questions within the day.

It is user friendly.
I like the idea of being able to export to a excel or another type of software, BUT it does not put the file in workbook form, there for it looks just like the Denali printed copy.

Mark D.

Reviewed on 14/01/2016

Generally good integrated package

Good integrated product. Generally difficult to get a tech support person right away or during non-peak business hours. POS falls short with marketing tools to support retention / repeat business.

Sue S.

Reviewed on 11/11/2015

Works great, customer service is always expensive

Wish you could pay to update the tax forms (Crystal Reports/Aatrix, without having to purchase an expensive new version of Denali every year (about $1100.00 )!

Gregory F.

Reviewed on 02/12/2015

Used for about 30 yrs. Mostly satisfied.

Easy to customize to different business types.
Support and updates have been somewhat expensive.

Raoul P.

Reviewed on 30/11/2015

great

Been using Cougar back when we had it in DOS (many years) and has worked great for us!

Sandra H.

Reviewed on 14/01/2016

still learning, but so far it is good

I still have a lot to learn