About Clio

Clio is a cloud-based legal practice management solution suitable for small to large law firms. The platform enables lawfirms and other businesses in the legal industry to track important deadlines, manage client cases and...

4.7

Browse Clio Reviews

Stephen

Reviewed on 06/07/2019

Fantastic Practice Management Solution

Pros

Clio's intuitive design is easy to use for anyone from the tech savy to the "how do I turn this thing on" person. They are constantly adding features and functionality to the software solution making the administrative side of practicing law much easier and less time consuming. Clio's support team is always quick to respond and is always friendly and helpful. The growing list of integrations is definite plus and gives us the ability to extend the already great functionality to the next level. And if you are into coding, you can always create a custom integration to suit your needs.

Cons

Really the only complaint I have about Clio is the reporting capabilities. While it has some great canned reports within the interface, there is no ability to customize reports to massage out information that would be useful to my practice. We make do, of course, but this has been my complaint for some time now. Last time I checked there was a pay integration that allowed for more robust reporting but adding yet another subscription isn't appealing when it would be relatively easy for Clio to add this capability to their platform.

Thad

Reviewed on 01/08/2022

It's the best out there

Pros

Clio was first in class when it comes to law firm case management software. That being said, it does have room for improvement. But, for the good parts, it works the way it's supposed to work and it does not crash very often or ever. Previously we used PracticePanther and while it was more user-friendly than Clio, it crashed regularly but they would never admit it-they blamed it on their partners like box.com which was the document repository.

With Clio, we were able to contract another company to do our billing which was a huge help.

Clio is very transparent when they have an aspect of their software that is not working properly.

Clio allows its users to grow and expand. Mostly because Clio is the first in class legal management and case management software so, you can use it as a hub and expand using other programs as plug-ins.

Cons

Frankly, it could be more user-friendly. Sometimes the screen is difficult to read because of the way it is set up with small font and Clio could take some clues from their competitors.

Vito

Reviewed on 03/08/2022

Avoid this product if you require data migration

The Clio sales team makes promises that the product does not deliver. Disappointing customer support after the sale.

Pros

The main reason I selected Clio was the web interface. I was also promised data migration from Lexis Nexis that fell short of promises made.

Cons

Customer support is almost non-existent after the sale.
I purchased 13 licenses for two different law offices last year. After the contract is signed and paid for, many of the promises made during the sales process are never delivered on.
I recently had an attorney leave my office and contact Clio to have his case information migrated to a new Clio account. He was told that this would not be a problem. After he paid for the license we are realizing that you have to be a data scientist to accomplish this feat. The response I am getting from customer support is that they will do it if he agrees to go to the next higher pricing tier.

Response from Clio

Hi Vito. We're very sorry to hear that you're having issues with Clio. A member of our team will be in touch soon to help you resolve them.

Kind Regards,

Jessica and the Clio Team

Replied 09/08/2022

Top Clio Alternatives

PracticePanther Legal Software

Amicus Attorney

Jane

Reviewed on 13/04/2022

A great billing software for my increasingly virtual legal practice

Good software! I find it an indispensable part of my practice these days.

Pros

Our firm had used Timeslips for timekeeping and billing in the past before switching to Clio a few years ago. Timeslips was simply outdated and cumbersome, not to mention that we had no tech support. After having switched to using Clio, I was able to use the software to email clients directly and have the emails come from our firm email account via Clio without always having to involve the office manager for billing my invoices. If the clients have questions, they will know to direct their questions to the office manager, who is otherwise in charge of general accounting matters. Additionally, I love that I can always reach out to Clio's tech support for answers as to user issues or questions, and the services have always been pretty prompt and spot-on.

Cons

I remember there were some data migration issues when we transitioned from Timeslips to Clio. It has been a while, but I recall that at least some of the client data like their addresses didn't look quite right when it was pulled over, and I basically had to start over with entering the information in Clio.

Diane

Reviewed on 25/07/2022

Helpful with remote work

The experience I had with Clio was okay. It does have many things that are helpful and nice to have. We used Clio for remote work and we did successfully manage several cases, but I prefer other software, as does the rest of my firm.

Pros

Clio allows unlimited legal document storage, eliminating the worry of running out of space.
Unlike other software, it is made for use with legal cases and legal documents. The specific set up is helpful. Billing and payment processing are supported.
Clio helps us stay informed on deadlines and stay organized.

Cons

Some things that are advertised are actually provided by a third party and require additional setup and sometimes additional payments. The legal calendar is not the best I've used and I don't like it.

Filevine and MyCase

Smokeball
Oussama
  • Industry: Import & Export
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 23/07/2022

Improve your productivity with Clio

I only recently discovered Clio. Before that, I was doing my tasks in a traditional way which also consumed a lot of time and money. I am sure that Clio will greatly improve my productivity and financial performance. I'm sorry I didn't find out before.

Pros

Time and cost! This is the most important thing on which business is based, so if you perform your work at the lowest cost and in the least possible time, then you are on the right path. What I like about Clio is that it can save me a lot and a lot of time that I used to deal with a lot of data and often messy as well as saving a lot Of the costs I would have incurred if I dealt with this data traditionally
Clio is an automated secretary that can do everything, manage your communications, your money, your data, and even provide you with reports on your professional and financial performance at different intervals, and this is really excellent and very comprehensive
It provides excellent solutions that allow you to run your business from anywhere at any time, this is the future of business!

Cons

Despite all the positive aspects that Clio offers, I think that the Clio team can provide a better experience for the customer by improving the user interface and making it less complicated. Without the need to spend more time learning to use the application
In addition, I advise the Clio team to invest more in the use of artificial intelligence in tasks that can be performed with voice commands, which will facilitate things a lot in the future and make the application a pioneer in its field for many years.

Sophia

Reviewed on 21/07/2022

Clio for Clinics

Clio really propelled our organization into the 21st century by allowing us to digitize and automate most of our files and processes.

Pros

We like how organized it keeps us and allows us to access cases from anywhere. Being able to be mobile is super important as we meet with clients in and out of the office.

Cons

Trainings on how to use Clio to it's full potential are hard to come by. We've asked for training materials for new hires and I don't think we've ever received the help we were looking for. Thankfully the platform is pretty easy to use so we don't always need an in-depth tutorial.

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

All in one Service

Pros

While I was on the administrative side of the firm, I liked that the legal team could manage cases while
I can easily complete potential client intake and billing systems.

Cons

We completed a trial of this program, i did prefer the way the billing system in our old case management software worked.

Reviewed on 07/07/2022

Great Law Practice Management Software

Pros

Clio has a very simple and user-friendly design that is easy for lawyers and marketers to analyze data as well as manage cases, revenue, etc. We had been looking for software like this for a while, and really found our match with Clio. Support also seems to be very helpful whenever we have questions that need to be addressed.

Cons

We have been having issues with the data portion of Clio not being accurate. It seems like it will be a simple fix, however; we are currently still using all of our other analytics software for true data analysis purposes until this issue is resolved.

Reviewed on 22/07/2022

Great billing software - Clio Review

Pros

Most suitable tool for billing and invoicing and offers a list of features such as quick billing and faster processing.

Cons

Sharing receipts over email is a time consuming process and does not work effectively with respect to that functionality

Peggy

Reviewed on 22/03/2021

Cleo will solve all your law firm problems

My overall experience with Cleo has been fantastic and has changed how I do my daily job for the better. It has made life at work much easier and less stressful. It has allowed me to free up time that's better spent on creating documents forming businesses etc.

Pros

I loved Cleo from the moment a representative gave us an overview of the software and what it had to offer. After that demonstration I couldn't wait to try the software. I love that Cleo allows you to customize the program to your specific law firms needs. There is an enormous amount of ability to customize clients billing and matters. I've never found a software like this one before nor one that allows you so much freedom to make it your own. There are two sections to Cleo Cleo grow and Cleo manage. Cleo grow allows you to enter potential new clients and track their progress as to whether they hire the law firm get referred out or don't hire the law firm. It has saved me from keeping up with two separate spreadsheets which allows me more time to work on important tasks. Once in Cleo grow you can move a client over to Cleo manage once they hire you. Once in Cleo grow everything about your client and their case is all contained on their own individual dashboard. Within that dashboard you can store communications their documents their payment transactions emails billing their time they're expenses etc. And because of the categories you can customize I'm able to enter the important information needed for their particular case and it's no farther than one click away. I have to say the Cleo support and help section is spectacular and one of the best I've ever come across. They have a clear academy which offers training on specific things you can do in the software.

Cons

The only thing I found so far that I'm not fond of with the software is the flat rate billing. Our Law Firm wants to keep track of the time spent on a case even if it's for flat fee. I'm still trying to find a way to best show this on an invoice and after researching Cleo help section they don't seem to have a real clear method of doing it.

Amy

Reviewed on 10/09/2020

Satisfied Clio user for 5+ years, recently purchased for additional firm

I am very satisfied with Clio as an online time management option. If you want/need to be 100% in-the-cloud, I would choose and recommend this program most highly to other firms. I prefer it to Bill4Time, CosmoLex, TimeSlips (not online). It also has things I like better than Prolaw (which also is not online).

I don't use many of the advanced features Clio offers like integrations, Clio payments or even calendar, tasks because of the way may firms are set up. So, I can't speak to those features.

Pros

I like Clio's simplicity and intuitiveness best. It really is the easiest time management program I have used. If you want to get up and running, like, literally, now, you can purchase Clio online with a push of a button and have open matters and clients/contact in minutes. I originally chose this product 5+ years ago for a small firm I manage, after looking at most of the online time management products on the market. I chose it specifically because it seemed the easiest in which to enter time. One of the attys I work with isn't great with a keyboard. Clio time entry required the least amount of effort, was the easiest to navigate and simplest to look at. But after using Clio, as well as, other online time management products (I manage a few small law firms), I really appreciate the easy of creating and EDITING invoices, which I do extensively at my firms. Lastly, I recently utilized Clio's FREE migration services to move from another online software, which I did not like. The migration took one hour on the phone, one day for them to migrate, and was pretty seamless! I've migrated data a few times (Prolaw and CosmoLex) and this was by FAR the easiest. The customer service is always great, even though I don't have to use it often because Clio is so simple to use.

Cons

Only 1. I haven't mastered LEDES ebililng on Clio yet. At one of my firms, we do only LEDES98 ebilling. If you don't know what this is, stop reading, you will not experience this minor Con. I am having trouble perfecting the LEDES98 txt files and uploading them. Granted, this is my first month of e-billing on Clio at this firm, so I'm sure customer service will correct it for me. It's just that a few other time management programs I have used had no LEDES glitches and uploaded perfectly the first time.

The price is also high for small firms. But all online billing programs are.

Lindsay

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

Great software and user friendly!

My overall experience has been great! They are always making sure to take the next step in integrations and constantly keep their software up to date and secure.

Pros

I liked how the IT team literally walked me through the entire set-up/integration. To be 100% honest, they recovered & transferred my crashed billing entries from Timeslips into their system. There are so many positives re: Clio software that I cannot pick what I like most; however, the Quick Bill & Payment Plan features are very convenient. Oh, I can't write a review and not mention the LawPay integration. That is also a great feature!

Cons

I hate when I am asked for instructions on setting up their client portal because I have no instructions to give them. I wish Clio had a .pdf that I could hand to every new client. I also wish there were more options re: billing history printouts for the Court. This is VERY important when asking for ATTY fees.

PracticePanther Legal Software

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Timeslips crashed and they would not help me unless I upgraded.

Sage Timeslips

Reasons for Switching to Clio

I chose Clio because of the support team.
Richard

Reviewed on 09/06/2020

Split personality software - two steps for the function of one

Clio allow you to generate bills - take payments online - and has a rudimentary accounting system.

Pros

Clio is quite robust with many functions geared for law offices. Much of the thrust is for multiple lawyer offices ( which makes sense) and some also work for solo firms (my office is a solo office). There is a forms component which is poorly integrated with Clio. It does allow you to create an online fillable form - but the steps to have that information fed into your database for the practice is cumbersome and not intuitive. Yo are using two independent programs - which is unlike both Practicve Panther and My Case. In the other two the feed into the database is direct - no two programs - no multiple steps to move rom one database to another.

Cons

As mentioned, the multiple step s needed to use the forms - and the cost for that portion of the platform - make this a terrible choice. If you want to use forms as questionares and to populate your database - and update the database - by client input - this is definitely NOT the platform to use.

Þorsteinn

Reviewed on 28/05/2020

clio law DATA management

Support easy super good. Clio fixed problems with non english characters in days, Timemattes did not fix it in 20 years we have been complaining.
Clio has extremely good search features and all sorts of filtering. For instance universal search that goes through matters, contacts, events, notes, tasks, time/expenses logs, documents content, doc, names, and communications (emails, sec. mess, phone log).

clio portal for clients, e sign easy to make form-documents connects to IP phone etc.

Faster law is a must I would say. To make a great package even better we subscribed also to Faster Law which has done a fantastic add on to Clio. There you get tools to capture your time automatically, the programs keeps track on how long you spend working on case files, e mails etc. in different cases and suggests billable time for that. There is a lot more like file handling, better way to link e mails, save and link attachments and files, you can explore your files on Clio’s serves in you file explorer.

Pros

For us the program has changed everything in the workflow to the better. In our opinion Clio’s forte is how flexible it is. Every law firm has its own different way of organizing workflow and Clio can accommodate for that, at least our whims and quirks which we have abundant of. The program is like potty in your hand. You mold and sculp the program according to your own special needs in the workflow. The only barrier is your own imagination. You decide how information is inserted, in what order and form and how it is presented. You make your own work procedures. You can organize and make chains of tasks beforehand and set the relevant type of chain of tasks to fit the case you are working on. Then, there and now, the future workflow is decided and set for that case.

Cons

You can not copy matters/cases and clients. It is not easy to move data fram TM to clio. We decided not to to it. Integration between outlook calander and clio calander does not work, it is so slow it is not usable. But the integration between google cal and clio cal is excellent.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Time Matters is old fashioned, originally written for DOS and has restrictions therefore. Does not offer any real cloud solution only remote desktope.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Clio is flexible. Very stapple and predictable. Clio is easy to manage and learn. Excellent support. Handles non english characters well.
Patrick

Reviewed on 21/04/2020

Clio, the best all purpose attorney software, bar none...

Outstanding experience with something for everyone just depending on one's level of interest and need.

Pros

Functionality is nearly universal while specially and jusisdiction costomization is great.
Easy law firm branding and pre sale marketing is brilliant.
Support is outstanding and the Premium Support even better for speedy, live agent help.
Cost is reasonable and many available plans on their menu of options.
Clio grows nicely with solid feature burstsoften free to it's users.
Excellent and often updated/enlarged mobile App across all usual platforms: Appke, Android, Windows...
Superior online instant pay clientbinvoucing, and client trust account requests
The wide assortment of excellent and Rock solid 3rd party software affiliations is very impresdive.

Cons

I was fortunate to have free help migrating my existing, Timeslips database compiled over many years but it ain't quite so free today...Also, I'm still not a fan of the communications tools for clients and othes not subscribed to Clio.

Laurie

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Great functionality and awesome customer service

Clio has allowed us all to access information we need from one place and pull customized reports that allow for better business planning. Honestly, it's one of the most user friendly client database software that I've ever used.

Pros

What I like most about Clio and it's developers is that when there is a feature you believe would be a great enhancement and you suggest it to them, it seems like not long thereafter you have that enhancement.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I don't like, honestly.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Abacus was too burdensome and very expensive for what you got with the software in my view.

AbacusLaw

Reasons for Switching to Clio

We were invited to their annual conference the year before we purchased it so we could speak to others using it and speak to the developers of the software. We've been back to their conferences several times thereafter!
Tanya Mitchell

Reviewed on 04/02/2020

Clio has changed my life!

My CFO's timed has been freed up tremendously because we now bill with Clio and she does not have to enter time from all users into a similar computer software. We all can work from anywhere and capture our time with the Clio app! Love it!

Pros

I love the functionality of Clio, and how we can manage time for each user on multiple devices. I not longer have to keep up with my start time for a task, my completion time, the calculation with what portion of an hour was teh time, or completing timesheets for a billing professional to then enter into a software to generate client invoices. Additionally, the billing process has been simplied and can be run from any computer. Further, the ability to keep up with each staff member's productivity is AWESOME! Clio has definitely changed my legal life!

Cons

Getting acclimated was sort of difficult because my rep was new at the time. The regular support team helped us with the remaining onboarding.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

We needed the flexibility that Clio offers for billings. We also have Clio Grow, and it has made new client intake a breeze!

Sage Timeslips

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Clio had better customer service and unlimited storage space for documents.
Eileen Noon

Reviewed on 02/01/2020

Why I find a Clio essential

Terrific.

Pros

Why I find a Clio essential Is as a sole proprietor of a small business, Clio operates as my check and balance. The small law firm I was at prior to going on my own used Clio and while I do not use all the features because I do mostly appointed work, the features I do use are essential on assuring me I am on top of my game 99.44% of the time.

Cons

As a very busy person, what I like least about Clio is it operates as a reminder to me that I could probably do a lot more if I ever took the day or two to get all the educated on how to do some of the things I do in a rather long handled manner. I am 60 years old and have been a lawyer for 33 years. I recommend Clio to many of the young lawyers I know just starting out or only a few years in the practice to help them ensure themselves they’re keeping track of their time, their appointments, their clients etc. I point out any problem I’ve ever had with Clio was quickly addressed and fixed and that I couldn’t be happier. I have to tell them that if I was them and had their computer skills and knowledge this thing would operate all necessary prompting for me I have to tell them that if I was them and had their computer skills and knowledge this thing would operate all necessary prompting for me.

Richard

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Best Decision I made was to make the switch

Easier to manage all aspects of a case with CLIO

Pros

Easy to use, customer support is awesome, helpful tutorial videos and great client experience. I have received multiple compliments on the style and ease of paying on-line.

Cons

It was not syncing with QuickBooks when posting to CLIO but that may have been addressed recently. I need to check with my bookkeeper.

Rocket Matter

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Constant issues from an IT stand point. Not as user friendly

Reasons for Switching to Clio

I asked around and even had CLIO provide me with a referral in my area of practice so I could see how they liked it and if there were any issues. I confirmed CLIO was a solid company and would be around. The Florida Bar indorsement was also key.
Margy

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

The Future of Cloud Computing in the Legal Industry

Clio has been really helpful organizing a small solo practice and getting that attorney up and running, and then expanding their practice accordingly. It's a great, central location for file management, and being able to use Quickbooks and Clio for billing is spectacular. Clio's client support is stellar, and that is worth a LOT when it comes to case management. Overall, Clio is an excellent choice, and even with my complaints, I do believe it is the standard for the future.

Pros

I really do believe that Clio is the future of legal cloud computing and practice/file management. It's a functional piece of software that allows attorneys and legal staff to manage cases with ease. There are a few things that I find to be useful with Clio:
1. Clio integrates with tons of other software options, including Grow (a CRM management tool). Keeping things "in the family" is really useful and speeds up management.
2. Clio's billing functionality is really nice. It's one of the more functional back end management tools I've seen, and I really like the way it works. You can integrate it with Quickbooks for easy accounting, which we really appreciate and which looks great on the user end (for clients, when they receive bills).
3. Clio sports a really professional interface, which just looks nice when you're working. It looks grown up and sleek, so if someone peeks over your shoulder or you're working while in the vicinity of clients, it doesn't have a preschool feeling to it.
4. Most important - Clio's customer support is incredible. Have an issue? There are videos you can watch, or people you can talk to. They will literally stay on the phone with you for hours as you troubleshoot issues together, or learn something new. Top notch, seriously.

Cons

I do have a few gripes about Clio. If these were addressed, it would get a 5-star rating from me:
1. Mouseclicks. Clio requires so. many. mouseclicks. It is infuriating at times. I realize this sounds stupid, but over time, they add up. I am a huge fan of efficiency, and Clio is one of the most inefficient programs I've used.
2. Workflows. I really enjoy using workflows to track various projects. Clio sucks at workflows. A complete rework of how they approach them, and how they look for interface with the staff who are responsible for executing, would go a LONG WAY toward making Clio a more useful application. I think workflows are really the topic that causes Clio to lag behind other software out on the market. I would like to see something in place that allows a user to create a workflow, move tasks around in the list, add subtasks to tasks, and assign triggering dates, secondary dates, etc. It would also be useful to be able to assign various tasks to various users. Until that's in place, I'll be sad about using Clio.
3. A central location for performing various functions. Clio does have a left-hand toolbar that allows you to do SOME things, but not ALL things. It would be good if, from the left-hand menu, I could do each discrete thing that I can do in Clio by clicking a mouse a zillion times. Once that happens, I'll be happier.
4. Document management. I'm out of room, but it is not idea. Too much downloading/uploading. Dropbox is better (for collaborati

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Clio came recommended by another practitioner who had gone solo and had a great experience.
Christopher

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

A good product, getting better all the time

My overall experience with CLIO has been very positive. Having a system that tracks my cases, especially my time management, has been essential. While I don't love the algorithm used in the metrics, as opposed to just showing me what I have done and earned in whole minutes and dollars, having those metrics lets me see how close I am to meeting my goals. And the billing software is incredible and easy to use.

Most of all, I like that the CLIO team seems to understand that there is always room for improvement and is asking its customers and users for feedback, and actually makes improvements. I have been using CLIO for only a year, and CLIO has had two significant improvements in that time, both that were in my view positive adjustments of an already good product. CLIO is some monolithic and static program that you have to take as it is; it continues to grow and improve with user input.

Pros

CLIO does all of the basic things that a lawyer needs a case management software system to do - keeps track of clients, cases, related persons, keeps a calendar of events, even does billing in all the ways a lawyer bills a client. I especially like the document generation software, which allows our firm to efficiently create a large number of similar documents, motions, and other pleadings for our cases. Finally, I appreciate CLIO's ability to customize fields for contacts and matters.

Cons

CLIO is missing some things that I took for granted in other software, the biggest being warning the user when a scheduling conflict occurs on the calendar. For a busy litigation practice that spans several counties in my state, having a automatic conflict warning when I am scheduling would be extremely helpful in ensuring I am never double-booked.

One of the things I hope CLIO will consider improving in the future is making their document templates able to be organized or with a search function. As an attorney who works in criminal court, family, court probate court, and civil court, I generate a lot of different documents, and its always a chore going through the list to find the one I need. Even organizing documents by category, which CLIO also permits users to customize as needed, would be an improvement in efficiency.

A final thought for improving CLIO would be in the Contacts system, adding a checkbox to permit the use of a work address and other contact information for the contact, both when creating a contact from scratch, or when adding a new contact under a Matter as a related person. Right now, whenever I add a new police officer in my criminal defense cases, even though I have their police department in my contacts, I have to type out the address, phone number, website, etc. in the new officer's contact. A checkbox would save me a great deal of time, or just add the employer contact information as the contact's work addresses as a default.

Sean

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Best feature set available

Very positive; I love the software.

Pros

Clio integrates with so much other software to make your life easier that is just can't be beat. Saving emails via Outlook, generating document templates, collecting e-signatures on engagement agreements—whatever you need, Clio has it.

I can also run billing, monitor bill payments, and overall run the entire law firm with minimal effort, minimal time commitment, and with confidence that everything is running smoothly.

Cons

There are some smaller points that can drive you insane. For example, you cannot customize the look of the emails that go out when you share matters, bill, etc. with your clients. If you—like me—transition from a solo practitioner to running a small law firm, you will eventually need to open new bank accounts. Clio will not let you eliminate the old bank accounts and start from scratch. You can't even force the old bank accounts to be otherwise "invisible" to the system so that you cannot accidentally record money moving into a defunct account. This is a minor complaint, but man does it drive me insane.

I also still want to see a task assignment that allows me to set a supervisor for each assigned task.

PracticePanther Legal Software, MyCase and Rocket Matter

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Much better integrations with 3rd parties and a willingness to continue adding new integrations.
Sue

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

Clio's billing system

Overall, our experience with Clio's billing system has been positive - everyone likes the time entry. We are glad we went to Clio, its so much better than that other program we had been using.

Pros

We got Clio specifically for its billing program. Its great that everyone can enter their own time into Clio. I like how Clio does “macros” [they call them “text snippets”]. They work without having to use a code key.

The software is easy to use – for someone like me who is not a bookkeeper and hasn’t done a lot of billing before, it takes a little while to learn how to use it correctly, but once you know how things work, it’s a breeze. The very best thing about Clio, though, is its support staff! They are all great – it doesn’t matter who I’ve talked to they are all quick at getting to the root of my problem and showing me how to fix it. I have called other companies asking questions about their software and sometimes you just don’t believe what they tell you. It has never been that way with Clio – every one of their support staff is very knowledgeable and can quickly set you straight!

Also, Clio is open to suggestions from us and when they get a certain amount of inquiries asking if “they could change this or that”, they will work on it. We have been using Clio for 2 years next month and there are a couple of things they have implemented that we had requested, which is really cool!

Cons

Spell checking in the billing software is not what it could be – it does have the little red underlines if it thinks something is misspelled [like Word], which apparently is easy for some people to ignore. It would be better if Clio had its own dictionary and didn’t depend on the one in the browser. In order to do spell checks, we have to: export the time to a CSV file, spread out the column for the description, run a spell check and remember not to correct the errors there, but go back and find each entry in Clio and correct them there. It’s a little time consuming, and depending on how many typos each person makes during the month, it can be very time consuming, but its much better than reading the draft invoices word for word and finding the errors that way. It would be great if Clio could add spell checking so that it can be run in Clio without having to export and go back and forth.

The only other “con” we have with Clio’s billing system is with discounting invoices. It is very easy to discount an invoice by percentage or a dollar amount, but Clio only applies discounts on the total amount of the invoice, including client expenses, not on time spent only, so we usually put in a dollar amount so the discount comes out to the amount we want it to be , although Clio still applies that amount to the entire invoice.

Jared

Reviewed on 05/11/2019

Review of Clio use and functionality

I have been able to delegate more to my support staff by using the different scheduling and tasking features without giving up on my oversight, since I can verify overdue tasks and completed tasks. Also, my staff has been able to manage my calendar through the case and firm calendar features which allows me to draft more and be able to schedule more hearings.

I am in and out of the office most days and the cloud-based aspect of this software and mobile app allows me to keep track of my schedule, access my matters, and contact clients as needed.

Overall my experience has been excellent; I moved from using 4-5 programs and apps to manage my practice, to using 2 because of the integration in the Clio suite. I have recommended this software to several friends and have help to train some of them on the basics while they were feeling it out.

Pros

I like the fact that there are different levels of cost for the need of your business. I started with one user on the lower tier, then moved up to include more options and added a user. I like the fact that not only does it provide billing and payment integration, but, at the time I upgraded, it included the monthly cost to use Law Pay (which I have also found helpful).

Cons

I feel there are some personal preferences I would like to use in my reports viewing and accounting. But there was a recent revamp rolled out a few months ago that did address some of my needs. Admittedly, although I have used the product for almost 4 years now, I have not watched all the tutorial videos or called with all of my specific questions, even though with the boutique package there is a dedicated help line.

AbacusLaw

Reasons for Switching to Clio

I liked the feel of the product and flow of the features better. Also, I have friends who made the switch to Abacus and after they moved all files and information decided it wasn't exactly what they were looking for, but did not want the headache of making another switch.