Notepad++ Reviews

About Notepad++

Notepad++ is a Windows-based solution that helps application developers create and edit source codes in multiple programming languages, such as Python, Matlab, Ruby and Verilog. The sessions functionality enables team members to...

4.8

Browse Notepad++ Reviews

1,945 of 1,945 reviews
Fazal Rahman
Fazal Rahman
  • Industry: Program Development

Reviewed on 24/04/2023

Coding was never been easy

Its very easy IDE to use for my eyes even if i am using it at night or daylight. Its easy with update functionalities for back-end and front-end users. It includes the most classes pre-defined which will be limited in other same products or need to be imported. Sometimes i don’t have internet connections so i would not be stuck for any class or library.

Pros

I like the backup and recover first to save my progress, the IDE is a home platform where you work i like the environment however i want i can change it the theme colors, fonts, size. And specially the classes to import while coding i may not have internet connection but notepad++ helps us to overcome this segment in most cases. in back-end or front-end development.

Cons

Uhm overall i liked the platform compare to other platforms i used before its not limited and is a complete comprehensive IDE and including most libraries and classes for developer, ease of their/our work. So far i don’t see any particular segment to not like or like least about notepad++.

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

I wanted an IDE to work in all aspects of my development, back-end front-end, coding and design. Some IDE would not allow us to work in machine languages or design html, css, javascript… or lack of classes in some IDEs made me to switch for a better one and affordable one like notepad++.

Turbo and Sublime Text

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

It helps me work all in oneBack-end Front-endClasses importPre-defined libraries. Supporting most used machine languages….
Fabruzio

Reviewed on 17/05/2024

Notepad++ or better Notepad+++++

Taking notes, open files of any kind it is a common task, especially for those who work in IT. Notepad++ has the features we look for: open any kind of file, allow to to advanced searches, decoding, "transforming" the file content in a readable way, you can quick take notes and export any file choosing from many types of extensions. Just install it and try, you'll love it!

Pros

I use Notepad++ mainly at work, when I need to decode files exported from devices (usually they are not human friendly and need to be modified to be understood and find the information you are looking for, Notepad ++ can help a lot) and when I need to take notes without the "save as" task you have to do e.g. with notepad, they are displayed in tabs and you will find them when you re-open Notepad++.
The program is easy to install, with very little load on system. It runs smoothly. I higly recommend it not only for programs developers but also for technicians and engineers.

Cons

I did not find any fault in Notepad++, I really like the way it is

Nachiket
Nachiket
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 28/04/2022

Notepad++ - Most simplified IDE for Corporates

My overall experience with Notepad++ has been really good. It is great for beginner programmers providing simplistic UI-UX for coding. Notepad++ has been a great support for the team considering the fact that we have more than 1 lakh lines of code for every one of our applications, and we can keep open all the files at ease and edit these as and when required in no time without any lag. Notepad++ has proved to be an efficient and fast tool.

Pros

The best thing I like about Notepad++ is its simplicity and speed. As a part of the Product team at ZS, we create mini-code snippets in Python for incremental functionalities which we deem important for incorporation into our pre-existing products. Notepad++ is very simple to use with minimal UI-UX complexities, and one needs to simply select the language and start coding. Also, Notepad++ opens up as many tabs as required simultaneously, and provides the option of two panes to compare codes which are simply great

Cons

Notepad++ has become a bit archaic as compared to other IDEs available in the market like MicroVisual Studio Code and Pycharm (specific to Python). These have capabilities to auto-recommend the parameters required for input in a function (with the datatype required) and also provide direct links to redirect to the function from wherever it is called. These are some features that Notepad++ lacks currently, and can be considered for inclusion.

Top Notepad++ Alternatives

Reviewed on 07/03/2024

Easy to edit or search data in files

I love using notepad ++ . It has made life easy to view files.

Pros

Searching algorithm and multiple language support.

Cons

Sometimes unsaved data gets cleaned up but this is not the case 90 percent of times.

Joseph
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 03/04/2024

Great Editor

Pros

Customizable UI with various themes. Syntax highlighting/folding for many languages, powerful search/replace, and macro recording.

Cons

New users might find the array of features and customization options overwhelming.

MD IMRAN

Reviewed on 29/04/2024

Portable apps

Pros

This application is light and small size and that's why I like it most. I can easily use it different devices. Mostly I use it for HTML code writing.

Cons

Add some more features can be made it better.

Ali
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 13/05/2024

Notepad Plus Plus

Pros

A program that can easily read all kinds of files correctly.

Cons

Overall, I am very satisfied, there is no obvious negative aspect.

Abegail
Abegail
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 04/04/2024

Notepad++ is easy to use.

If you are student or aspirant programmer then it was a good starting app for you.

Pros

You can practice making an application using codes.

Cons

It will took you sometime to generate codes.

• Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 23/03/2024

Nice Editor to start with

Pros

It is easy to use. It is also freely available.

Cons

It can have a premium version with more functionality.

Zack
Zack
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 15/05/2024

Notepad Popularity Number One

Pros

I have been a Notepad user since Grade six 30 or more years ago. Just love growing up with it.

Cons

Maybe two pluses are a bit too much this time. Like an A++.

Rodrigo

Reviewed on 26/10/2021

Small, fast and convenient

We normally use visual studio, but it is too heavy for small tasks. The VS code is also too big and confusing for that, as it always tries to deal with project folders. In Notepad++ we can open files individually and edit a script or fix a programming error in a larger project from another tool, check the charset of a file or even write manuals in markdown. It is a Swiss Army knife for most of the auxiliary functions in our routine.

Pros

It is a super notepad, very fast to open, very efficient for handling large files, great for editing scripts or parts of larger programs. I also find it amazing how easy it is with the wizard to define your own programming or markup language. This extends the app to domain languages. It also has localization for several languages.

Cons

I even went looking for something I don't like about it, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps the only thing missing is that it has a Linux version.

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

In this case we needed something that would give us the same speed and ease that we had with VB6. The tasks of correcting a script, cleaning up a CSV data file, or changing an xml became slow and cumbersome in VS and VS Code. So we found notepad++ and found a small, lightweight, very powerful and really useful tool.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

First because when testing it against others, the interface is friendly, some would call it old-fashioned, but it's really cool, easy to adapt and no frills. Other editors we've tested were either expensive, or big, or confusing, or difficult, or trying to emulate the experience of a full IDE, but when you use notepad++ I don't think that's what you have in mind.
Antonio
Antonio

Reviewed on 24/06/2022

Free, easy to use, fast, what else?

It is super positive. It is a product that I must always have installed on my PC. Opening a file, writing a short document, working with JSON and XML, reading source code... every day there is something that I do with this product!!

Pros

The product is easy to use. Just with a couple of clicks you have a solution that can help you in the day by day activities: you can take easily quick notes (potentially without saving, the file will stay there), you can use the tool to open files with specific formats like XML and JSON leveraging additional plugins for formatting in the right way the file. Last but not least, Notepad++ is really fast when opening a file, it is immediate, you do not need to wait.

Cons

It is difficult to find a real limit to the product. As functionalities, it is done more than what promises to do. Obviously, you can't compare the product with other solutions specialized to do specific things, for example, if you need to work with C# code frequently, you may prefer a dedicated and specialized environment. If you need to write a document including for example charts and images, you should use something else.

Microsoft OneNote and Microsoft Word

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

For my requirements, just with a single product, I was able to find what I need. That was the main driver of the choice. Obviously, if you need something more specialized, you should evaluate other products. In my case, I saw Notepad++ as a quick win: I have a fast way to open the files that I need.
Mateusz
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

A software engineer's point of view on Notepad++.

I use Notepad++ in many applications. From a quick look at various files (notepad++ supports lots of them) to quickly developing an application or doing a PoC.

Pros

What I appreciate most about Notepad++ is its ease of use and lightness. The application starts up in a second and runs very fast.

Cons

I miss the more advanced features available in other app development tools. Project Management.

Gokul
Gokul

Reviewed on 13/09/2019

Notepad++ V7.7.1

I am using this Notepad++ as an developer for past 6 years right from 2013. As an developer and support person in my project I used to have lot of SQL insert commands, BCP IN/OUT and other FTP commands to be typed and generated it as an macro for millions of rows. So this software is used to avoid lot of halles in first place. As well since I am an developer this is used to create formatting loop for SQL procedure, functions and views. As well by erroneously if the notepad closed also the next day when we opends it saves the data in the local and we can get started from the place where we left.

Pros

1. Notepad is very good and easy when we are a developer particularly for .HTML, CSS Designs
2. It is an Good IDE when we are using for SQL. It will clearly shows conditional formatting, loops and other contents as required for avoiding compilation errors.
3. The IDE is free in the market and selling for a least dollar amount by Scooter INC.,
4. Automatic spell checker and avoiding grammatical things when typing the words. This feature is called "Autocomplete" which suits to HTML and SQL also.
5. Macros also available which is used for any BCP or Insert commands when writing for SQL server coding (T-SQL).
6. Supports N number of languages right from HTML till Java, ASP and VB also. SO formatting is very easy and done at one place rather than having their IDE's when developer develops multiple tings at one place.

Cons

1. Notepad++ is sometimes slower in nature and getting closed automatically without any error messages though it was light weight in nature.
2. For a developer/programmer this is very good however for tech managers and directors this is not a good tool to dealt with since we have lot of paid one in the market with features in the market for any presentations to be performed.
Overall disadvantage or CONS is less so nothing to be presented much apart from this.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

Not a simple Text Editor

This is my preferred tool for daily activities. I use it to compare 2 text files (something really useful), also to take notes (as the primary objective of this tool), to read code (it has support to several coding languages), to read JSON files (by far, my preferred functionality).

Pros

There's a large number of really useful features in this application that can serve many different use purposes.
The three major strengths I see in this tool are:
- The powerful onboard features (check how many options are there on the default menu bar. The search function is really flexible, with the mark functionality onboard that help us to identify words or even lines to be fully replaced or deleted). Another really nice one is the shift+alt+click functionality to make dynamic selection of texts. Also, special mention to the auto-save feature of multiple files (usually, I keep on more than 30 opened files at same time).
- The facility to install and start using it (it is straight forward as any text editor should be) and, the stability combined with low use of system resources (as earlier mentioned, even with +30 opened files simultaneously, performance never drops).
- The large variety of available plugins that make it this tool capable to assume many different roles such as a text editor, a JSON file analyzer, a XML analyzer, a code editor, a two-text files comparison tool...

Cons

For some features, we have so many options that it may be confusing for new users.
For instance, I keep on forgetting how to mark and delete some lines because despite the mark functionality appears on the search bar, the remove functionality is hidden under search-bookmark option.

Denison
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

Notepad++: Simplified IDE and Enhanced Text editor

Experience with Notepad++ is fantastic. Notepad++ has excellent community support, which solves the query in a simple Google search. Notepad++ has been my machine's default text editor for a long time.

Pros

I have been using this application for over a decade; it has never disappointed me. Most liked about Notepad++ is that it is an open-source application; it will take less than a minute to install, the user interface is straightforward to understand, and you can quickly get used to its options. I use this application to change the text's regular expression and code python programs. The "Extended" option and "Regular Expression" options get the job done in the replace menu. From the Plugins admin panel, you can install, update or remove the plugins; the collection of plugins is vast and very useful. Notepad++ is very customizable. You can create macros for the similar task to be done quickly

Cons

Notepad++ has no cons, from my point of view. There is room for improvement in this application; UI can be improved UI remains the same for a very long time. Notepad++ can extend its support to macOS, also.

Setareh
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 20/04/2023

Notepad++ is a must-have text editing tool

Overall, Notepad++ is an extremely reliable tool that is perfect for anyone who needs a powerful text editor. Its intuitive interface, extensive feature set, and support for multiple programming languages make it a wonderfl choice among program developers.

Pros

I use Notepad++ everyday at work. I use it mainly for writing programs and codes. Notepad++ is a powerful text editor that I recommed it to whoever spends a significant amount of time on text editing and coding. Notepad++ makes your life easier. It is completely free to download and use. It is also open-source, which means that users can customize and modify the source code as per their specific needs.Furthermore, Notepad++ is a lightweight application that doesn't take up too much space on your computer. One of the standout features of Notepad++ is its robust syntax highlighting, which supports over 50 programming and markup languages. This feature allows me to quickly and easily identify different parts of my code, and therefore making editing and debugging much easier.Another important feature is the ability to use multiple tabs, allowing users to work on multiple files without having to switch between them manually.

Cons

There are no specific cons for Notepad++. The only thing I can mention is that compared to an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), Notepad++ comes with limited features. I do not consider this as a disadvantage, since it is free and naturally it is not developed as an IDE. I enjoy using Notepad++ at work. It totally worth it, I recommend it to everyone who needs a text editing tool.

Praveen Kunigal

Reviewed on 07/10/2020

One of the high quality Notepad.

Overall very happy with this app as it provides very features which are very much required for any IT Engineer.

Pros

There are lots of good features in this, would mention a few here:

1. I can open multiple tabs (no limit), it's very easy to navigate to different tabs whenever needed and easy to close/save tabs any single tab.
2. There is an option to change the Language (like SQL, Java, Unix etc) this would helps me a lot in writing code, SQL queries.
3. Macros: This option helps me while doing any repetitive minor tasks. Using this option we can record the task, and hit a Run Macro to repeat the same task N number of times. Which is really a great feature which I didn't find in any other software.
4. It allows me to reload the file, so I don't have to close and open the file to check updated content. We can also make file to update in real time.

Cons

I installed this app in my personal device too, whenever I open this app everytime it asks me to update the application and when I hit the update button it gets stuck and nothing happens. They have to fix this bug, no other complains pertaining to application behaviour.

Angus
Angus
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 05/08/2022

Probably The Best Text Editor I've Used... Ever.

Notepad++ has saved me a ton of time and made my life easier, whenever I need to develop an application, or even type out some text, it makes the job a breeze.

Pros

Since the day I found Notepad++ it's made very tedious tasks a lot simpler, I really like how they support Regex and have a wide array of plugins which can automate tasks.

Cons

The only slight issue I have with the software from time to time, is that if you have a lot of text files open at once, it can take a while to start up.

William
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 20/01/2022

Notepad++ - A Vital Tool

I've been using this product for more years than I care to remember. I always install it, first thing, on any new PCs.

Pros

Notepad++ never fails to deliver! I use it for text editing, data cleaning, coding and more! The plugins allow a lot of versatility, and the ability to choose specific languages is fantastic.

Cons

Notepad++ has no cons. I love it! It's been a valuable companion for decades!

Less cost.

Cost, features.
Gábor
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 01/11/2022

Best free notepad editor I think

I have been using the Notepad++ for a few year now, got to know when I started working in EDI, reading, checking EDIFACT messages, which is a plain-text based message format.Turned out, we can write something like macros, more like a smart search, text filtering, line breaking thing.The search option to look in all the opened files is super useful.Convenient tool to edit, simple files, you can use it for various work, what I really love in it, that it allows you to continue your work from where you left it.Works on various platforms too, Linux, Windows, mobile, etc.Small and fast sw. and what is so good, it and the 3rd party add-ins are for free.Supports multilingual options for its interface and spell-checking, these are the reasons so my cons why it is the best alternative to the normal "Notepad".I am writing this rating also in Notepad++ :)

Pros

Wide and fast search options.Lot of 3rd party tools, that really helps you out when working with files.It is free.Does save the drafts, opens up files too when you have no network (shadow copies I reckon).You can continue your work where you left it.Has free updates, supporting dev. community, educational articles, videos.

Cons

Can not edit .docx, .rtf or other "advanced" text files. Yet it can open them.Opening files from network may be sometimes slow.The icons may not tell much and small.Some plug-ins, features that are provided by 3rd party, should be in the installation image.

Mike
  • Industry: Computer Games

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

The Gold-standard for Text Editing on Windows

Quick comparison of code revisions without having to make commits to version control, excellent Regular Expression support in the Search and Replace tool.

Pros

From tabbed file editing to syntax styling for nearly every imaginable file format under the sun, Notepad++ has it all and should be in the arsenal of every Windows user, whether you're a full on developer writing code or just an amateur tweaking configuration files!

The Search and Replace functionality provides full Regular Expression support, making it extremely powerful to make bulk changes to text based files.

A plethora of additional plugins, including Compare (diff), Autosave, and Spell-check, which can be installed and disabled from the built-in Plugin Manager in a snap.

Cons

Absolutely nothing! Lets start a campaign to make Notepad++ the default Windows text editor! Make it happen, Microsoft!

Rekha Priyadharshini

Reviewed on 30/09/2021

Light-weight, minimalistic, yet powerful text editor

Notepad++ is a free, light-weight and powerful text editor. It is very easy to install and it also comes with a portable edition. It can open almost any type of text file let it be Java, Python, XML or even JSON. It is very powerful out-of-the-box and its functionality can be extended by installing plugins. It is a must have tool for every developer.

Pros

Notepad++ supports multiple tabs and the unsaved content is persisted even when the app is closed or shutdown. It supports multiple encoding which is very useful when working with Unicode characters. We can use the document map to easily navigate large piece of code by collapsing and expanding content. When you click on a word, Notepad++ highlights all the occurrences of that word which is very handy to see the places when a variable is used. It supports extended search using regular expressions which is quite useful for editing code and parse logs. We can also compare two files by installing additional plugins.

Cons

The UI looks a bit plain and outdated. It is not a full-fledged IDE and so it lacks support for code auto completion and formatting. Though the UI support themes, there is no dark mode support. And there is no out-of-the-box support for LaTeX and Markdown. Finally, Notepad++ only support text content and it doesn't support multi-media content like images or annotations.

pradeep

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Notepad++

very satisfied with this alternative notepad editor. I did not lose a single unsaved file ever since I started using it.

Pros

Notepad++ is an excellent replacement for the default Windows Notepad even though there are many other free and paid alternatives, Notepad++ I feel is the best option as it gets the job done excellently. The tabbed windows which can be customized, the docswitcher list of files, the plugins are all very useful features to have. When I used Windows notepad and when I laptop crashed (happened few times), I would lose all unsaved information I had typed in notepad, but with Notepad++'s automatic saving of files as backup even if my PC crashes the information I typed has already been saved to the disk. Another useful feature is the ability to create and restore a session where I don't have to open all the files again upon restart. I also like the feature which shows unsaved files using a different icon on file tab.

Cons

This happened a few times where Notepad++ crashed and it messed up my session and corrupted the session file-wish there was some protection from this happening. Also, it would be nice if there was a single install file for both x86 and x64 platforms.

Ernesto Enrique
Ernesto Enrique

Reviewed on 22/07/2019

The fastest text editor I've ever tried

With notepad ++ I can edit portions of code very quickly thanks to how light and portable it is.

Pros

What I like about Notepad ++ is undoubtedly how fast and light it is.

I have used it for more than 8 years and I still use it today because it is the lightest application that exists and I have tried to edit portions of code in my documents.

It is open source, so it is free to use and has many options to customize the appearance. In addition, it recognizes practically all the programming languages that exist, which makes it the best option to complement the development environment of my computer.

Cons

The only thing I do not like, even though I've used it for many years, is that it still has the same user interface. I would like to see a new interface, more friendly and modern.