Buildium Reviews

About Buildium

Discover all-in-one property management software that gives you more of the “all.” Accounting, communications, leasing, and top-rated mobile apps—there’s everything you’re looking for and then some. No matter the portfolio,...

Browse Buildium Reviews

2,031 of 2,031 reviews
Aaron
Aaron

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

Best property management software for the price

Reporting is important and Buildium lets you know who owes how much and what bills need to be paid. It simplifies the bookkeeping aspect and gives accurate accounting if used properly. Really enjoy having a dashboard with all critical information at my fingertips.

Pros

Buildium is packed with features to streamline property management and cashflow. There is no better way to accept tenant payments and pay vendors online with the click of a few buttons. Once we got our tenants and vendors using the payment portal, we drastically reduced time spent on processing paper bills and checks. There are so many ways to automate tasks and save time.

Cons

I'm hoping that the developers add the "Duplicate Invoice" feature in the Bills module. This would save a lot of time when entering several bills at once. Setup is difficult but key to make the software work for you.

Propertyware, QuickBooks Online Advanced and DoorLoop

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

More features and better software for managing 50-100 properties.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Price and familiarity with the product.

Response from RealPage

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your feedback and excellent suggestion about making duplicate bills! Did you know you can submit suggestions like this directly to our developers? If you haven't already, navigate to the "Suggest a feature" option in the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account.

- Charlie

Replied 30/06/2022
Cynthia

The Best Property Management Platform

Overall, Buildium is not just a property management platform; it's a complete solution that has simplified my work. If you're in the property management field and want a platform that is easy to set up, maintain, and offers robust features for accounting, leasing, and expenses, look no further than Buildium. It has truly become an invaluable asset to my business.

Pros

Easy to set up, helps to keep track of finances, properties, owners, tenants, basically I can do all in one program no need to use any other.

Cons

I can't schedule EFT payment for my customers.
I can't add more charges when using Applicants other than application fee
I can't modify statements

Response from RealPage

We're happy to be your complete property management solution, Cynthia. Here's to many years of growth and success together.

Replied 25/04/2024
Jim

Reviewed on 26/07/2011

I switched to Buildium from QuickBooks in July 2011 and will switch off on January 1, 2012. We manage about 100 single family properties that are owned by about 30 investors.

Yes Buildium is easy. Yes it is simple but if you are in the business of managing properties for multiple owners it just doesn't do the job. First, there is no way to invoice an owner for repairs. Buildium says you should have enough in your reserve account to cover the bill. OK, that makes sense, but what if you don't? There is no way within the system to tell an owner about upcoming expenses. You have to use another accounting system (QuickBooks for me) to invoice and track receipts. Then you have to add the invoice and payment to Buildium so the owner's reports on the portal (a nice but rarely used feature) are complete.

The ability to sort reports is nearly non-existent. Buildium says to down load the report to Excel and then sort. Trouble is, the Excel file has so many merged fields that you cannot sort a single column. It is taking me 15 minutes to find and remove all the merged header information before a simple sort can be done. If you select the entire sheet then un-merge the report becomes a mess.

The ability to "find" is absolutely non-existent. If you get a check for $1,453.62 and need to know where to apply it, good luck my friend. You have to call the issuer and get the name of the property and unit.

Receipts, statements and reports, which are generated as pdf, are all formatted differently. This means you have to have 3 different types of window envelopes on hand at all times. Buildium is "joined at the hip" with NELCO printing and I have not been able to find checks other than NELCO's that print correctly. Why is this a big deal? NELCO charges $0.35 a check while Costco charges $0.035 per per check. If Buildium is not getting commissions on the business they send to NELCO, they certainly should.

The online help search feature is worthless. There is no content searching so whatever word you type in the search box shows every page that includes any of the searched words. Skip the search and go directly to their index. With a little effort you can find an answer.

The support team is quite pleasant and responds quickly. They rarely, however, have a direct answer and absolutely refuse to ever confirm a feature, like sending a bill to an owner, is just not there. What they do is endlessly reply, "We don't understand your question, please clarify."

I have no one to blame for selecting Buildium except myself. When I asked to be shown features in the online demo I was told to talk to sales. When I asked sales the same question they said to sign up for a demo.

In summary Buildium is cheap and easy but of little substance.

Response from RealPage

I have a few minor quibbles with Jim’s review, but he’s mostly right. While you can invoice an owner for repairs, it’s not as easy as it should be. Jim’s also right about our reports; we provide most of the reports people expect, but you can’t customize them and trying to manipulate them in Excel is a pain. That’s something we plan to tackle in a future release.

It’s also way too hard to find what you’re looking for in the current release, but that’s changing with the new global search feature due out in the next few weeks. You still won’t be able to search for a missing check, but that’s on our roadmap too.

Replied 18/08/2011

Top Buildium Alternatives

Property Vista

Property Manager Cloud

Douglas

Reviewed on 03/02/2024

Building our business with Buildium

Extremely positive, cost effective, and reliable. Fully featured including Tenant Portal, repair requests receiving and tracking. Now includes document signing at no extra cost. Support is friendly and quick to solve problems keeping us on track.

Pros

Now that we have worked with it for a few years Buildium is an integral part of our operation. We could not operate as efficiently and as professionally as we do.

Cons

Very steep learning curve and there are still times when things happen we can't fix ourselves. But Buildium tech support is extremely understanding and quick to locate and fix issues.

Response from RealPage

Thanks for the support shout out, Douglas! They really are a cut above!

Replied 01/05/2024
Sumer

Overall great

My overall experience with Buildium has been good. It has taken longer for customer support inquiries over the years of use.

Pros

I like that it is online based. Tenants can view their ledger and documents via their portal. Owners also have an online portal they can view their statements and documents.

Cons

Some of the accounting features can be a bit confusing for the user and owners. Like the tenant prepayments, the calculation of management fees, and the owner contributions distribution among a single owner who owns multiple properties (if there is an outstanding balance)

Response from RealPage

Thanks for your honest review, Sumer. If you haven't already, try checking out Buildium Academy to see if that can help clarify some questions you have about those accounting functions. You can also reach out to customer care and they can shed some light on things.

- Charlie

Replied 29/01/2024
Brad

Reviewed on 30/10/2023

A robust operations platform that saves time and money

Great! Customer service has always been helpful, and the tool is very stable.

Pros

Rent tracking and customizable late fee policies, leasing/advertising tools, renewal countdowns, and work orders are among my favorite tools within Buidium.

Cons

The reporting features (especially ePay reports to reconcile credit card transaction costs on a per-property basis) are not 100% clear or intuitive. I would like to see some community best practices for various reports.

AppFolio Property Manager and Yardi Breeze

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Product functionality, user experience design, and pricing.

Response from RealPage

Looks like Buildium has been a big help to your business, and it's great to see!

As for reports best practices, you should check out the Blog page on Buildium.com. You'll find a whole host of posts that may have just the information you're looking for!

Thanks for your review, Brad!

Replied 01/11/2023
Shannon

Reviewed on 02/11/2023

Buildium for Property Managment

I have worked with Buildium in multiple businesses. We have also tried other software. Buildium has been the best I've worked with for Property Management.

Pros

Tenant and owner income/expense tracking as well as work orders.

Cons

Accounting capabilities are not available yet.

Response from RealPage

It's awesome to see how user-friendly Buildium is for you, Shannon.

Accounting functions are indeed available on the platform and are a core feature. Is there a specific function you are looking for? Reach out to customer care for assistance.

- Charlie

Replied 21/11/2023
RJ

Reviewed on 18/01/2024

Building and property management suite

Overall, there are features lacking that we feel need to be integrated and are very easy programming solutions. Customer service is available but on the basic level and they are fairly limited in resources. During the sales process the client is promised a Success Manager, but they never return phone calls and rarely reply to emails unless you engage basic support to file complaint. We have had two account manager assignments due to pregnancy and neither manager was reactive in time servicing our account. Buildium needs to work on this.

Pros

Ease of set up and Onboarding compared to other platforms

Cons

Account managers are never available, nor are they responsive

Response from RealPage

Thanks for your review, RJ! We're happy to have you. We appreciate your feedback regarding your success manager.

Replied 25/04/2024
Gregg

Reviewed on 24/01/2024

YF Solutions, LLC’s Buildium Assessment

Nothing but positive things to say about the experience. I have been involved with other similar systems and Buildium is much more user friendly.

Pros

Having access to the data base provides our company with tracking options on many levels as well as a 24/7 information resource!

Cons

From a contractors perspective, it would be extremely helpful to have a full understanding of what are capabilities are inside the system with the access we have been granted.

Response from RealPage

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, Gregg! Be sure to check out the support library in your Help & Support menu to check out everything related to the kind of access you have to the system.

Replied 01/05/2024
Ty

Reviewed on 23/01/2024

Great Online Tenant Portal and Property Management Software

Pros

Accepting payments from tenants and the online tenant portal is very easy to use and onboard our residents.

Cons

The accounting is convoluted and complicated. You have to learn a lot of the terminology and its really build like a supertool for accounting

AppFolio Property Manager and DoorLoop

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

It was the most affordable option that also had a lot of visual quality.

Response from RealPage

Thanks for the review, Ty! Be sure to check out Buildium Academy for more detail on navigating the robust accounting features we offer.

Replied 26/04/2024
Eyal

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

The Buildium Experiance

Overall, great software with dedicated team (to the most part).

Pros

Buildiun is a very easy to use software. New features are normally well received by my staff.

Cons

Missing some features. 3rd Party (FORTE) is not customer friendly.

AppFolio Property Manager and Yardi Voyager

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Propertyware was too complicated to the point the my clients start complaining.

Propertyware

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

It was a small company with a simple product. The team at the time was very friendly and committed.

Response from RealPage

Hi Eyal,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are also excited to let you know that Buildium has created its own internal payments platform and is in the process of transitioning its customers over to that system.

The Buildium Team

Replied 12/08/2019
Jenna

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Great for a startup or simple management company

Again this is really simple and great for the amount of money but Id love to see more improvements more often. I enjoy using the program and do find it be most of what I need.

Pros

Love how simple this is to use! I personally didnt have a big bookkeeping/accounting background so setting up, implementing and using this was much easier than other software that is for more of an advanced user. Tenant messaging is great! Love the use of resident website.

Cons

Wish I could do more with the tenant emails, notices. I have to use a third party to get really cool looking emails/notices. You cant even really put in a image which would be helpful. Reports are customizable enough. As we are all different I would love to have more options for the reports not just on what info they show, or filter out but the actual width of columns, etc. I dont like to export to spreadsheet then edit. More ability to communicate with all parties on a work order, right now you can only update by checking tenant or owner. Would love to be able to send messages to vendors separate from tenants/owners. Also hate having to make a task then work order, it should really be just a work order. Then you can create a task for other things.

AppFolio Property Manager and Rent Manager

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Price and simplicity. On boarding for both is a long process and they charge (which is crazy). Buildium was setup quickly, then we added the extra services. It was really easy to set up and is still very simple to use.

Response from RealPage

Hi Jenna,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We've noted your feedback on emails, reports, and work order communications, and will be passing them along to the appropriate product teams.

Thanks again for the review!

The Buildium Team

Replied 27/08/2019
Neil

Reviewed on 21/03/2020

Best accounting program for rental property income and expenditure

With Buildium, all my income and expenditure information, receipts and invoices plus lease agreements etc are all stored in the one place. At tax time, printing out reports for my tax agent is simple and quick.

Pros

Easy to use and can cope with multiple properties.
Reports can be generated for variations in financial year reporting of different counties.
You can set up recurring bills so they appear on your list of things to do which reminds you and you don't have to re-enter all the data each time you have a bill to pay.

Cons

This is an American based program and for American users, it offers the ability to pay bills direct from your bank account etc. For me in Australia, this facility is unavailable.

MYOB Business

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Tax time was a nightmare without the ability to print reports or readily access invoices etc

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

I thought I would take up an offer of a 30 trial of MYOB, but I found it was not suitable for rental property accounting. I can’t imagine that any other program would better suit my needs than Buildium.
Lori

Reviewed on 05/03/2021

Easy to use becoming more Robust

Been using Buildium for about 6 years. We have been able to manage properties much more effeciently and thoroughly. Tenants now are more interactive and easier to recieve payments and get work orders done, so much less deferred maintenance. The software is intuitive and pretty easy to use. When we have needed Customer support there has typically been a live person that is very helpful.

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use, intuitive. Buildium does not really encourage integration with other Apps easily.

Cons

That Tenants can't do Independent Home inspections. OR that We can't tie another software into Buildium easily to allow us to customize a few things.

Yardi Voyager

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Wanted better immediate /automatic posting to ledgers when tenants paid and wanted better download and organizing of owner files.

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Because we are a smaller company and did not need to manipulate software as much as Yardi allows (therefore costing more). FYI - I recently tried to upgrade my buildium membership but it absolutely did not make sense financially. I think it would be beneficial for there to be an option for smaller companies of less than 100 properties to be able to get the premium package for a lesser price. (I want open API and will not ever be more than 50 properties, so a package for a smaller number of properties would be something the big companies like Yardi don't offer)
Melinda

Reviewed on 11/01/2022

Great Property Management software

Overall I am pleased with this product. The more I work with it the more I find I am able to do.

Pros

This software allows me to communicate efficiently with tenants and owners and to find information quickly when needed. I also love that it is always adding new features and updating existing.

Cons

I would like to be able to text owners the way that I can tenants. I would also like to be able to do the owner PM agreements as well. Sometimes I need to add an addendum so it would be nice to be able to add documents to be signed as needed.

AppFolio Property Manager

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

We did not have enough properties to use Appfolio

Response from RealPage

Hi Melinda! Thank you for your honest feedback.

Texting rental owners, collecting digital signatures for other documents, and mid-lease document signing are all things our developers are looking into.

You can add your voice to the chorus of people who have requested these features by clicking "Suggest a feature" in the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account. From there, you can search for features you're looking for and add your vote to them. If the feature you're looking for hasn't already been suggested, you can submit it and other Buildium users can add their vote to it.

In the meantime, stay tuned as updates to these services and more are launched!

- Charlie W

Replied 20/01/2022
Anna

Reviewed on 26/04/2022

Professional and Polished

When we were choosing which software to partner with, Buildium quickly rose to the top. Today, four years into business, I don't know what we'd do without it. From an accounting perspective, my accounting team has been pleased with the company reporting capabilities. From a management perspective, it allows our smaller firm to look as polished and professional - if not more so - than our larger competitors. It all comes down to how well users work the system. We feel we've gotten into our groove when it comes to onboarding, marketing, maintenance and more.

The only thing I wish Buildium would consider is greater training options for those new to the software. That said, I managed to get us started (initially) and train the other users. And whenever we have a question, the support team is always a close phone call away. I would absolutely recommend the software to anyone as the best for ease of use, accounting capabilities and managed growth of the business.

Pros

Ease of use. Tech support available by phone.

Cons

User training options at the start of use. Perhaps online classes could be considered?

AppFolio Property Manager

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Ease of use. And the ability to play around on it prior to actually buying it. (Although, that could cause problems when someone doesn't understand how it works initially.)
Aleta

Reviewed on 21/10/2022

Buildium is the Best

Pros

The system is very user friendly, the partner integrations add value that wasn't there before, reports are easy to read, and the Resident Center is a great way to communicate with the tenants.

Cons

I would like to be able to transfer tenants within the community, or to sister properties, without moving out and moving back in and I'd also like the record deposit screen to have a filter function (by property, by unit number, and by amount). A move-out/move-in report would be nice too, and the ability to run the Vacancy report within a specific time frame.

Response from RealPage

Thanks for your review, Aleta! Glad to see that the Marketplace is bringing you some value.

Sounds like you've got some good suggestions. Have you tried submitting them to our developers through the "Suggest a feature" option in your Help & Support menu?

- Charlie

Replied 31/10/2022
Gary

Reviewed on 25/08/2018

My Perspective of Buildium's Property Management Software, as a Real Estate Broker/Property...

Buildium was great with helping me with all of my questions that I had regarding their email and text message features. I finally decided to take some time to take a closer look at the features they offered and when I did, I realized how much time I wasted by not using these features earlier. No more copying and pasting emails/photos and text messages to and from tenants and owners (not fun to do).

Pros

I've been a customer of Buildium since 2010. I really like the fact on how Buildium saves me many hours throughout my workweek and helps me cover my tracks at the same time. This is helpful especially during the busy part of my day. One of the many great features that I like in Buildium's is the seamless integration they implemented into their software using a top rated property inspection software. It stores the inspection report with all of the photos and notes in one place for reference at a later date. I use my tablet onsite and the software does the rest. Another plus about Buildium is when I need to open a new work order (either onsite or in the office) for maintenance or a repair issue, I open the work order tab and everything you need is in one convenient place to manage the task from start to finish. Also, on Buildium's home screen, I have a dedicated section where I can review and update the progress of all work orders. In addition, each property manager has access to only their managed properties (specific authorization can be customized too). At the end of the day, all of this information is easy to locate, view, share and export and I know where to go if I need it. There Is So Much More...!

Cons

There's really not much that I could say about what I like "least" about Buildium. I say this because, they constantly make improvements and implement new features on a regular basis. There really is very little opportunity to say, "... I wish there was a better way to do this task..." They also ask for feedback on occasion and I like that too. I found that if there's a popular request made to Buildium they act on it and they implement those new features. All of their users can request and track new requests through their forum. A very transparent company who is serious about making my day easier, Buildium!

betsy

Reviewed on 01/02/2019

With just a few tweaks.. this would be an amazing piece of software.

Good - pretty responsive to every annoying call I make and I tend to be somewhat tenacious. thanks!

Pros

Tenant tracking, tenant ledger, and reporting of tenant payments. The tenant log on ease and the on line payment process. So for managing tenants - awesome! The features for managing the vendors for repairs - awesome! Love the bulk charges feature.. well designed and functional!

Cons

Some of the interface features.. like when entering a charge.. I always have to scroll to save it... little annoyance.. but why? .. Tighten the window. Allow tabbing and the enter key to move through the screen. I don't want to touch my mouse!
The big frustration is that I can't write a tenant security deposit refund check to multiple tenants - it is by law that all tenants be on the refund check - yes I have figured out workarounds - but it is silly. I now just physically write them on the finished check. It looks stupid - but I don't have time to do my workaround. Fix that! In addition, take a look at the " final report" for the tenant on their none of the important information is visible... (Call me - I can help you!)

The really big thing that would be nice is already programmed with your bulk charges feature.. I want to be able to "Bulk distribute checks to a list of investors" What that means is -I have my list of investors and instead of putting charges on a ledger - put a check entry onto the bank ledger so I could print checks and send them. Using all of the features of the bulk charges - except.. bulk payment. ( We have investors for each building - we pay them dividends several times a year -- same percentage, same names ... but I have to manually enter them. YOU CAN DO IT... I would be so happy!!!!!!!

Erin
Erin

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Jump on the property management software train with Buildium!!

The benefits of utilizing Buildium for home construction companies are too many to list here. From management being able to see the project all at once and not have to look in different sections. Subcontractors being able to log their hours per project tasks for easy invoicing. Owners with the ability to go on and see how the construction is going, choosing selections, and keeping in contact with management. For bookkeepers the easy integration of Xero and Quickbooks online is fantastic. If you haven't tried Buildium and are looking for a superb property management software, sign up for their free trial and take it for a test drive.

Pros

There are several items within Buildium that by far surpassed other property management companies. The ability to upload subcontractor paperwork and have all the information in one place securely online with reminders set up when expirations or missing information is needed. The ability for everyone with accounts set up to communicate, check on tasks, and proposals all in one place for easy referral. One of the easiest implementations and setups for property management software. But the absolute best thing about Buildium for me anyways is that you can list as much information from sales, tasks, proposals, selections, etc. I truly believe that all companies need to keep as much information as possible on file and with Buildium you can put as much information as you need, place tags for easy reporting, and this information is for authorized users to see. To me, you can never have too much information and it makes is so much easier if you have a person leave and the new hire to move it and look at the information to be brought up to date.

Cons

When I first started working with Buildium I wished that there had been a step by step workflow check sheet because at times I had to go and research if I was entering the data correctly. But that was quickly solved while speaking with Buidium's excellent customer support team members.
Finally, I would recommend a Buildium forum where all users can go on and if they have questions can post it to the forum as another user may have had the same problem.

Marianne
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 04/06/2021

Mostly Happy with Our Choice to use Buildium

It has been a good change for our business from where we were a year ago -- still tracking rental information in excel spreadsheets. I am the one who uses it daily, but the others in the business that need to pull information from time to time find it easy to use and that it has the reports they are looking to find. It definitely has helped us save time on some things. However, some of the shortcomings described in my explanation of things least liked add back time. I'm hoping in participating in this and voicing my feedback to the reps that I'll see my suggestions used to improve things in the future.

Pros

I had used the software at another company and thought it would work well at my current job. I really appreciated the customer service from my past experience. I have had only one less than favorable experience with the customer service received in my years of using Buildium. I like how easy it is for our tenants to use and navigate. It has encouraged most of them to pay online which is a huge time saver for me.

Cons

Since we do commercial leasing and not residential, there are some misses in my opinion. I'd say my biggest frustration with the software is the eleasing formatting. If you have a document with tagged information boxes, if you enter in one wrong piece of information instead of being able to edit just that one box, you have to cancel the whole document and start over. That's rather a pain. So I've been uploading forms more instead of using the saved elease documents for this reason. Also, I wish there was a way to tailor the communications better. My tenants want to receive monthly rent invoice yet your system only generates monthly statements. So I have to manually make these monthly, which is time consuming. It would be nice if I could create something like this. I worked with several customer service reps on this tasks and it was decided that what I want done is not possible at this time.

Response from RealPage

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with our Product team.

Liz Gill
Customer Marketing

Replied 07/06/2021
Weston

Reviewed on 18/03/2022

Buildium is Awesome.... The mobile app is TRASH!!

My overall experience with Buildium has been great. Great features, and makes my life way easier. If they mobile app gets a major update I will love it even more.

Pros

I love many features about this program. I am an owner/operator of my properties, so I do not manage other units just my own. I love that I can collect money online and no longer have to go door to door to collect. I love that people can pay advance rent when they want and Buildium will track it for me. I love the mass amount of reports that I can run and look at. I love the accounting and Banking. It's very nice to keep track of all the incoming and out going money and make it match 100% to my bank account. It's also extremely nice to pay some of my vendors through ACH straight from Buildium. I also love the eSign for a lease. I love the paperless.

Cons

The worst part of Buildium is the mobile app. It's complete trash. The world is very fast paced and everything can be done on a smart phone. I'm also tired of being told that I can open Safari on my iPhone and do the same thing. Well F that. I want to use an app that is formatted correctly so I don't have to zoom in and out to click stuff. I would love to be able to scan an Invoice/receipt of a bill and add it as a document from my iPhone. I want to be able to view a full rental application from my phone. I want to be able to do everything on the mobile app as I can on the desktop. I also want to be able to send multiple eSign documents and not just one per unit.

Response from RealPage

Hi Weston,

Thanks for your honest review. I'm glad you're loving the ePay functionality. I'm sorry that the mobile app isn't quite what you're looking for. I recommend submitting your feedback through UserVoice, which you can access by selecting "Suggest a feature" in your Help & Support menu.

- Charlie W

Replied 22/03/2022
Aimee
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Reviewed on 24/10/2023

Best decision I ever made

I love Buildium. They followed up a couple times after I made the initial purchase. The people that called me were respectful of my time and interested in my business and how they could help. I couldn’t ask for better. The platform was easy to figure out simple to enter all of my properties, tenants, vendors, and reoccurring charges. I recommend this company often to friends.

Pros

I own my own properties, but I have 60 doors, and that is far too many for me to use a simple accounting software. Of all of the different platforms I have used, Buildium has been the very best. My building managers can all log into this one platform to view and schedule repair requests, add rent payments, and pay vendors. It was easy to set up. It’s simple to add bills. I can pay vendors directly through Buildium. And with the fantastic, multifaceted,reports, I can see exactly how I’m doing on a property without having to search through files or sifting through complicated reports. Buildium has really nailed the business.

Cons

My least favorite feature is the bill pay. When I enter a bill, I don’t like having to click a second time in order to pay the bill. I want there to be a place where I can enter the payment on the same page. If I don’t enter payment then that it should be listed as outstanding, but doing a second click to make the payment and a third click to record the payment is a little inconvenient.

Response from RealPage

Thank you so much for this thoughtful and thorough review, Aimee! It's so awesome to see how much value you're getting from all these different parts of Buildium, from the maintenance to ePay to the reporting and beyond.

If you haven't already, please let our team know about your suggestion for the bills feature by going to the "Suggest a feature" page in your Help & Support menu.

Thanks again!
-Charlie

Replied 31/10/2023
Jenna

Reviewed on 14/11/2023

Overall Buildium Use for Property Managers

Overall, Buildium saves me a LOT of time and hassle. Having everything organized helps daily life immensely.

Pros

Buildium helps keep everything organized. We have about 70 properties and I cannot imagine keeping track of everyone's rent, leases, contact information, maintenance requests etc without Buildium. I use it almost daily and it makes my life much easier/saves me a lot of time and hassle.

Cons

We have the business version with great customer service. However, I also use it privately and I wish that the customer service was offered to all levels of memberships. Also, it would be great if old applicants could be completely erased. That option does not exist once they've submitted an application and it's hard to filter through all the applicants for a property when there's so many. We do not need to have those on file anymore and there is no option to remove them. Also, the Credit Card fees seem quite high for those paying rent without a linked bank account.

Response from RealPage

Thanks for such a thorough review, Jenna! It's great to see how Buildium helps you stay organized.

Customer Care is provided on all subscriptions. Essential subscriptions are exclusively ticket support, which is handled by the same folks who answer phone calls.

On the topic of old applicants, other customers have found success with filters on the Applicants page. If you only want to see New, Undecided, and Approved applicants, you're able to select those options from the status dropdown list. Check with the customer care team for further tips.

- Charlie

Replied 21/11/2023
Kelvin

Reviewed on 25/03/2014

Pretty good software for our small property company

Pros

The software is easy to use across multiple platforms; I can use it from my smartphone, tablet, or from a PC with an internet connection. It has lots of useful features.

As a six-property small company, we only use a few of the features so far. We started using it for the accounting. But there is more; I especially like the applicant tracking feature which we used for the first time in the past month. It happened to be integrated with a product we actually already used for credit/background checks. I was able to send a prospective tenant a link to the website Buildium produces for you where the tenant could complete the application online. I then sent links for the SmartMove credit/background check to the prospect. It all fed back into Buildium and even notified the prospects of our decision by email.

There is also a way to post new listings online with Zillow, Trulia, etc. from within Buildium. As we were already set up for another method, I have not used it yet but will likely try on the next property we have available. It allows you to add property pictures, property descriptions and leasing information that would save time on properties with higher turnover. There is a built-in website-making function that has a lot of potential to set your tenants up with accounting and other information online.

There is a method for setting up payments online too, but it's tied into just one vendor. As I don't want to give up any percentage of the rent we receive to a credit card company, I'm not using that one myself. I'm not sure if you could use other vendors for online payments. I do plan on setting up my tenants online so they can see the payments we have posted for them and their lease information. They will also be able to request maintenance items online, too, which would be helpful in our tracking of such items.

Cons

There is a learning curve to figuring out how to effectively use the software. Also, there are some things it won't do without a workaround from an accounting standpoint. We have mortgages on some property which takes a workaround to account for properly. Also, the payment method assumes you cut a check or use their EFT system. In reality, we usually use a credit card and pay off that bill. But we have to account for it by pretending that we cut a check. Not a dealbreaker, but it takes some work sometimes to figure out the workaround for a given situation. The Help function is useful, and I am sure contacting the company would work too (although we have not needed to contact them for questions so far).