eClinicalWorks Reviews

About eClinicalWorks

eClinicalWorks® (eCW), a leading healthcare IT company, provides innovative software solutions to healthcare providers of all types, including health centers, ASCs, urgent care, and more. eCW has been a trusted partner in the...

2.8

Browse eClinicalWorks Reviews

Chad
Chad
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 15/04/2019

Great EMR for clinic based settings loaded with features

Overall eClinical Works does a pretty good job as a clinic based EMR. It's fairly comprehensive and once you learn it, it is very easy to fill out notes, auto populate data, code for billing and handle messaging and e-prescriptions.

Pros

I like how comprehensive the EMR is, information is fairly well laid out and it has lots of features including a messaging service where memos from patients, forms from pharmacies etc can all be accessed and responded to without having to give out the providers email address or phone number.

Cons

It can be difficult to learn at first and find all of the information it holds. Sometimes the locations of certain tabs aren't very intuitive. It's also annoying that you can't have more than one tab up at a time to look at multiple patients at once.

Justin

Reviewed on 08/08/2023

Great Difficulties Discontinuing Service

Terrible to disconnect from with misinformation and fraudulent billing despite clear records of trying to cancel services.

Pros

It is a usable EMR that helped productivity and was fairly intuitive

Cons

I delayed writing my review hoping ecw would settle my issue. I’ve been charged even after selling my practice completely last December and after full transitions of ownership am still billed fully! This is considerable ongoing cost and my issues are:1) In December when I sold out we requested services terminate as the new [sensitive content hidden] took over.2) We were given incorrect information we could not cancel due to contract, then we’re told we could have cancelled anytime by clicking a button3) Verified by [sensitive content hidden] our ECW contact he sees we requested cancellation after selling back in December and again every month, HE ALSO did screen sharing and confirmed our software lacks “the button” to cancel ecw,4) we are still being billed and cannot cancel!!!

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

You can get by with it but it is plagued with unhelpful support, errors, and out-dated

Not satisfied.

Pros

You have the ability to do most things you need for medical practices. You can schedule patients, upload documents, run reports, bill and make claims, submit claims electronically and through paper printing, fax, e-prescribe, make telephone encounters, keep user logs, etc. It is an overall all-comprehensive product.

Cons

There are so many glitches it is pretty ridiculous. We are always playing catch up to fix numerous things that goes down. There is never a 2 week period where everything is running smoothly.
The technical and customer support is also weak. They do a good job of getting back to you most of the times, but it takes them quite a bit of time to figure out what is wrong and fix it. Not only that, but communication is a bit tough as I believe most service technicians are located out of country and have heavy accents.
ECW also charges you for so many add-ons that it gets to get ridiculous. They push their products and interfaces so that you need to pay them more than the monthly base.
Also, ECW is starting to get out-dated and behind. When we first signed up with ECW about 14-15 years ago they were top of the line. But they have quickly fallen behind all the other electronic medical records systems that have started. It has been frustrating trying to keep up, especially because of all the new medical record regulations government has been pushing.
ECW is also not friendly with other databases. If you need to submit certain information and electronic secure messaging, you can only do so by forcing the other party to sign up for ECW's communication system which of course no one wants to do.
Also, if you try to switch out of ECW, all the data in ECW cannot be transferred easily. They purposely make it hard for you to switch out and hard for anyone to work on tech. I'd say skip.

Top eClinicalWorks Alternatives

William

Reviewed on 29/02/2024

DO NOT EVER BUY THIS SOFTWARE

Eclinical charged me for a nurse practitioner every month for 5 years after she left. They canceled her but they did not cancel the billing. I was unaware as I was not receiving invoices. When I finally got the company to send invoices they were very vague and hard to understand. They are refusing to give me a refund. I canceled another doctor just 2 months ago, and they did the same thing! They charged me for him the very next month after he left. I called them on it, and they said that since the invoice was already paid by direct withdrawal, that I would not get a refund. I immediately stopped their ability to remove money from my account directly

Pros

Nothing. I found out they settled a case with the DOJ for LYING about their product. The entire company is unethical.

Cons

The software has tons of errors. I have to report them individually by opening a ticket via a different web page. Regardless of how obvious the error is, they insist on calling you on the phone and logging into your computer without at least trying to check it out themselves. Then, nothing ever gets fixed.

Jason
Jason

Reviewed on 04/09/2018

It gets the job done

It gets the job done for us and it probably just like most other EMRs they all have issues but at the end of the day they allow you to record your notes and bill the insurance.

Pros

ECW can get most of what you want done. I work mainly on the reporting side and staff support. The ability to pull reports is pretty good with their EBO system. We get almost everything we need reporting wise from that system whether it’s financial or encounter data. Their support is pretty responsive usually calling back the same day in most cases. Their billin service is pretty good and is very reasonable. Our company pays about 8% totally cost with ECW which is pretty much the industry standard.

Cons

There are sometimes a lot of clicks with ECW. Anytime you do an upgrade something is not going to work which is very frustrating. If you are a CPC practice you will be frustrated as their reporting dashboard took until the middle of 2018 to start working and then we upgraded and now we are waiting on a patch to get the dashboard back up. Don’t expect to speak to anyone that’s first language is English when you call support. We started with ECW in late 2015 and we had to setup everything from scratch which we thought was really strange as they have so many practices you would think there would already be templates for almost everything.

Aamr

Reviewed on 09/11/2023

Iniitial experience.

The onboarding days have been traumatic and thats why i am writing this review at 2 am on a weekday. I do not want any one else to go through what i am going through. After spending so much money onboarding , trainers are 1000 per trainer a day and paying for flights after the free 3 days , the onboarding process from go live to 3 days of "free training" were useless as nothing got activated, cancelled clinic days were wasted as i was waiting for their software to be activated and my licence was not "put in the system right"
When i asked their manager they said i should have paid more at the onboarding with a consultation with a **WORKFLOWS - Business Analysis services if i wanted things done right first time.
So far i would tell anyone to make sure you have everything locked down with prices which seems impossible as they will say their system does everything till you sign the contract and then the addons come up.
It is not an efficient system.. i can see myself forced to go back to athena which is super expensive with their billing percentage version which at least works..

Pros

They have a good marketing team but all the features i went for have been exaggerated

Cons

So far Nothing much so far is likeable, it is clunky , it can only be accessed from a widget that does not work well with apple (multiple popups and quick auto log-out make it irritating till i guess you start ignoring it. Also one has to make a change and then press refresh and that has so far taken up to a minute to refresh and show an order placed.
First the pricing appears transparent but is not real, the full feature (600$) is actually not a full feature and the price will almost double per person once you start, they bank on you needing addons and those do not have listed prices and once you spend 3-5 months onboarding you really get roped into it.
The features such as prisma for hospital records is 750 per hospital to activate and 25 dollars a month per hospital per provider which for my 6 providers racks up per hospital.
Text messages for appointment scheduling is in the package but if you have to send patients fillable forms is 15 cents a message.
kiosks fee payment systems all have addd ons that they will not mention till you are locked in.
The EMR sucks so far, can you imagine one cannot order a sleep study as it is a "specialty order" and should have been discussed at the buildup stage . Referrals all have to be placed in the system meaning i have to google and go out and get every provider who i want to refer to to get me their number and feed it in the system myself.
Labs will only go if i have a specific lab setup, i .e i cannot order an ESR as quest calls it by a different code and i have to call them otherwise the system will not place it. ( alot of useless things that they market cleverly as fail safes but end up making the workflow longer)
Like i mentioned the medication transfer is non existent, i was told after onboarding not to rely on it.
Each pharmacy has to be googled and mapped out, they do not have their own database.
Apparently the largest p2 network they only had 3 providers show up in my city of 1 million people in texas (because they said users in my area were fewer?)

Sharon

Reviewed on 08/02/2023

Invoice

The Strategic Account Manager is constantly changing and he/she providesno support with the company.

Pros

Follow up on problems to see if resolved.

Cons

Be careful of their invoicing. They have this complex procedure and time element whenterminating a provider. They even wish to interview the terminating medical provider.All notifications need to be within a certain time frame. If not done correctly, theywill continue to invoice you for the terminating provider

EpicCare

Reasons for Switching to eClinicalWorks

The hospital set up two or three choices to support.
Jarrod

Reviewed on 22/08/2023

No user friendly

"here's your software, learn how to use it and customize it and good luck when you have problems"

Pros

intuitive diagnosis capturing, rarely was the system down for maintenance.

Cons

Most everything. Customer service is atrocious, all outsourced now to foreign countries.

Stelle

2.5
Reviewed on 29/03/2016

eCW experience

Pros

Very easy to use and powerful front end. IF the product is set up correctly.

Cons

Interoperability is challenging. Since the back end is proprietary, connecting to standard interface engines is challenging. Support for FIHR, HL7 or IHE profiling (or OMOP) MUST involve the company. The company is difficult to deal with when you want to port your data using these tools. It is possible, but very expensive and very time consuming

AUDREY
  • Industry: Mental Health Care
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Excellent platform

Pros

Ease of use, intuitive, and applicability to what I need day to day to be the best psychiatrist I can be.

Cons

Cost is high, unfortunately higher than our usual platform, so, colleagues don't appear to want to make the move.

Reviewed on 07/10/2019

Sufficient but lackluster

After using the product for 10 years our practice had learned to master the inefficient workarounds to where they have become 2nd nature. Unfortunately, recent server stability issues forced us to look for a new solution. Our hosted platform was eventually upgraded/moved to a more stable server farm however it was too late and the process to replace the software had already began. We eventually migrated to a new solution.

Pros

The price? As far as bargain EHRs goes, this is probably front runner, but the industry is lacking in innovation and functionality and this product is no different. Where you save money up front you pay for it by having a lack of features and seemless easy to use workflows. We constantly had to create nonsensical workarounds to achieve an acceptable workflow that was less painful for the providers but made it 10 times more difficult for the staff.

Cons

As a provider, you grade how easy an EHR is to use based on the number of clicks. As an IT professional you are able to assess a software's efficiency based on numerous other metrics. As the later, I can say by far the worst aspect is the number of clicks. With no redeeming qualities to speak having to drill down 5 or 6 menus to get to a patient's documents or financials and then be forced to back all the way out before checking on a 2nd patient's info is maddening. User's are forced to keep 2 instances open so as to not be forced to close a patient's demos/chart if they have to take a call and open a new patient's chart. This of course is explicitly denounced by eCW as forbidden. We do it anyway ... it's the only way.

April

Reviewed on 21/02/2017

Customers are NOT the number one PRIORITY

Over all the system is easy to navigate. The look and feel of the product are very pleasing. If I could have my old, local technical support back, I would highly recommend this product, but due to the past 3 years of terrible customer and technical service, I'm reluctant to refer other clinics to this product.

Pros

Integrated system. Easy to maneuver from the front office to back office features. Many new enhancements over the past 10 years. "Trying" to stay up to date with moving target of healthcare.

Cons

Technical support is lacking immensely. The techs are more concerned about closing your "help desk ticket" than really helping you solve your issues. eCW states they are a Meaningful Use Certified EHR but have left their existing customers of almost 10 years in the dust when they discovered a programming error. Now clinics will be penalized 3% in Medicare payments in 2018. Report features are lacking. As of recently, they nickel and dime you for every new feature, upgrade, and/or request, such as interfaces, customized reports for all the government mandated programs, enhanced dashboards, etc. Communication with their customers, or lack there of, is very frustrating. eCW believes posting critical information on a website is "sufficient enough." When you're going to shut down the entire system for 3 days with no access or you tell your customers they're meeting meaningful use and then 7 days before the end of the reporting period eCW "discovers" their system is NOT reporting right, this should be important enough information to communicate directly to the customers, right? Nope, eCW posts the information on their website and "hopes" you log in a read the paragraph in a timely manner. NOT acceptable in my eyes. Mountains of improvement in customer service.

Reviewed on 30/01/2023

Support is Frustrating

This program might have been good when it was first developed. However, they keep patching the program and many of our support cases have no fixes and we are told that it is a "known issue" that will be fixed in a later release. Currently we have 10 open cases with bugs in the program. The other problem is that they have so many different versions of the program and support keeps wanting us to use different features in different versions (there is an exe version, cloud version, ipad version and mobile phone version)

Pros

I like that template customization is fairly easy and straightforward.

Cons

The support is absolutely horrible. We are assigned an "Strategic Account Manager" (SAM) but every time I go to him with a problem, all he does is tell us to create a ticket. We have to log onto a separate website which then asks us what state we are located in (but it does not matter because all support is in India) so I am not sure why we are required to take time to answer that additional question. Then once the ticket is created, you are at their mercy as to when they will call back (usually when we are busy in clinic they call ten times in a row) You are given different answers depending on the support agent and many do not know how to resolve the issue but will take up your time getting connected and click around the program doing the same thing multiple times. There have been times that I have closed a case and started a new case just so that I could get a different support technician (as when I request a different agent or for it to be escalated, they will not reassign it)

Gita

Reviewed on 24/03/2021

Horrible customer service

Horrible !!!!
Please run away from this company.

Pros

Only scribing,
We had to add so many things and we spent so many days to make it work for us

Cons

Since we bought this software, whenever there is problems first you have to creat the ticket and someone calls you whenever they want!!!!!!!
Always system is disaster after update !!!!!!!people for Eclinical keep ignoring the issue and they cannot figure it out the problem and they start blaming your computer.I brought 3 different IT and all said problem is with ECLINICAL. We are dealing with patients, our office’s staff and our patients are suffering because irresponsible customer service and ignorant managers from Eclinical.
Please don’t buy this software , the only time they call you when they want to sell something to you!!!
Don’t let them scam you the way Eclinical’s people scammed us!!!
I have never written any reviews and I am easy and positive person. This review is true and result of the pain Eclinical causing our office after 2 months.
Horrible, Horrible Horrible Custemor service and you can never talk to any supervisor.
They keep you on hold and change their voice and pretending like supervisor.

Scott

Reviewed on 09/08/2021

Most awful product I’ve ever used

I’ve been in the medical practice, my own practice, for 20 years. We see 500 patients a day, and use their program as best we can. It is completely and totally worthless. You cannot manipulate the format of your notes, you cannot call customer service and get help. They have no idea how do use iPads. Literally, at the end of training, I asked the trainer if they were going to show me how do use the iPads. Flat out, they said to my face, we don’t know how to use those. They were the ones that told me to buy the iPad because they were iPad/cloud-based. These people are trash.

Pros

Most awful product I’ve ever used. There Is absolutely nothing about this project/product I like.

Cons

Customer service is atrocious. We call them, they call us back whenever. We put in tickets, they call us back whenever. This piece of junk has no ability to adjust templates/the way It’s scribes the note. If you would like to manipulate it at all, you better get a word-based program. They have no idea how to use iPads, we bought thousands and thousands of dollars of iPads, and they have no idea how to use them. They launch, most recently just a couple of days ago, apps that don’t work. And then they have no idea how to help you. This company is absolutely atrocious.

Phuong
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 11/01/2018

Terrible, Poor problem management

Honestly, I dread being on the phone with their IT department. It can take several days for their IT to call back when your system is down or completely slowed. They also take no responsibility for minor glitches in the system. They say "well, it looks like we do not see it here" yet you reported it for 5 times, they still do not acknowledge that it's a problem or do anything to prevent it in the future. Their communication is also very poor. We use some ipads in our clinic, with the ipad upgrade, they did not inform us that it will disable many features of ECW and completely slow it down. When they were able to fix this problem, we were not notified of the changes either. Honestly, there's such terrible communication with this company. They outsource their calls to people that do not have clinical knowledge and it's frustrating to explain EVERY single step every single time. Their multiple clicks just to be able to complete a task is also extremely inefficient. There's just so many frustrating aspects of this system. MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you think they will transfer your old data over correctly. They are lying!!!!

Pros

It has the ability to send messages to patients by using voice features built into the system.

Cons

If your fax, progress note, or any problem occurs. It takes them weeks to fix. What is most frustrating is that their IT department does NOT try to resolve your problem but find excuses to close the case. Most of the time, I can't even understand what the engineer is saying. Mainly because they send me information that is almost entirely numbers, related to their system. Without having proper training, how would someone be able to understand that. What's even more frustrating is if you have problems with their interface with lab, they expect you to contact the lab company yourself and figure out what it is they need.

Febin

Reviewed on 05/08/2022

BEWARE OF ECW! Not recommended for new practices!

Overpriced for you get.

Cons

Horrible user interface! Eclinicalworks interface is so hard to navigate and there are several additional clicks that needs to be done to do a simple task like send in prescriptions. The website and computer program are so bulky and completely outdated. The program looks like it’s from the 1990’s. Every few months there’s an update, but that just causes the program to be even more glitchy and slower.

Eclinicalworks had issues with US regulators before. I googled search their name and saw hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements. I wish I did this before I signed the contract.

The worst part of the eclinicalworks is ending the contract with them. They said they will give you your patient’s data but it’ll be a “data dump” which means it’ll be useless to extract to your new EMR. If you want the files in an html format, then it’ll be $3000! If you want it in pdf files, it’ll cost $5000! They charge $500 for an external hard drive, which can be bought for $70 dollars.

gina

Reviewed on 10/09/2018

Poorly developed product, poor support, nothing good to say

NOTHING !!!!! RUN LIKE HELL AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN ANOTHER DIRECTION.

Pros

The idea of web visits. Although it took several weeks and several support members to get it working.

Cons

the program was so compartmentalized...each individual only knew about their part. One would spend weeks troubleshoot an error to find out that another had not turned on the feature. The system is too complicated for those that programmed their parts! I then after approximately one year decided to transition to a more user friendly emr...this process was just as problematic. They sent a disc that was not in the format needed and then refused to change it and refused to allow the new emr company to access the emr. We were told to download it in the format ourselves...when we tried, we had been disabled from doing so. We called to gain access from the project manager...again on hold for 45 minutes. Still waiting for a call back. Note that they are expecting pay for this 5th world emr while we transition. These people have unfair business practices and have been fined and sued repeatedly by the Department of Justice. Now I'm being held hostage paying for a suboptimal emr that has done nothing but caused me grief.

Jonna

Reviewed on 07/09/2022

Financial Harm with no oversite and little support. Slow to correct and updates create more...

Pros

This product used to be amazing, but has been declining for the past 2 years. The only Pro is the cost is low, but you get what you pay for.

Cons

The support is difficult to talk to and understand.
The support can only do what the user can do to fix things so always hear "I have to escalate the problem".
The user cannot update the fees for their services.
Training is lacking and the online training includes hundreds of videos that don't have anything to do with your ECW Version and are hard to find.
ECW makes updates that create more problems with no fix. They create fee schedules or delete fee schedules and send claims out with $1.00 bill fees. We recently got paid .82 cents for an office visit due to their incompetency in billing. My entire bill fee schedule is either gone, Zero bill Fee, or wrong. When I ask for this to be corrected and why it happened I get "we are working on it " yet claims continue to be sent out incorrectly.

Christopher

Reviewed on 06/06/2017

Long time customer, pretty much done with eCW

I have attended about 8 eCW users conferences, including the first one in Orlando. I am a superuser. Initially, I was optimistic, but over time I have seen a lot of false promises and lack of USER -driven improvements. The whole feel of eCW is that of a clunky data gatherer. It is absolutely dreadful at the point-of-care. I didn't go to med school to be a data entry clerk. The piecemeal product now. Nickel and dime every little feature/service. When will an EHR come out that makes sense at the point of care?

Pros

Customizable - but be careful - you may have to redo everything after an upgrade. Reporting features and back office 'ok'. Portal, Healow app and eclinicalmobile are decent (though erx through mobile is wonky).

Cons

Too many clicks. Too many windows. Tiny boxes. Tiny font. Poor format. Early 2000's feel and look. Upgrades often require the user to fix data (re-map, correct NDC codes, etc. etc. etc.) which is a total pain for staff and the providers. Too many ways to achieve the same thing, just causes confusion. Internal messaging a joke.

Jenny

Reviewed on 17/04/2019

Customer Service

Our practice has benefited from using the Messenger product. We use it to primarily do text appointment confirmations, and wellness reminders monthly. During influenza season sending out a blast to parents via text message to get flu shots helps tremendously!

User friendly, up to date dashboards for MIPS, MACRA, billing is awesome and new features for the EMR side are always coming through. I find it a great product for doctor offices!

Pros

Ease of use and intuitive. The company always listens to the users for suggestions and problems. Customer support is great. I like how they follow up within 24 to 48 hours of a service ticket to make sure everything is functioning.

I am very pleased with the customer service team because they always call me back in the same day. The chat option is great for a quick answer as well.

Cons

In the beginning the training was not what I thought. However, in the last 6 years the webinars have expanded and ease to watch and print power points as well.

Sherif

Reviewed on 12/12/2016

Labor-intensive

I have often wondered about the popularity of ECW. After all, I think there are many better systems out there, it lacks many necessary features and it is not cheap. I believe ECW owes its success to a good sales team, and to the fact that potential users think: if it is adopted by so many users, it must be good. In big corporations, the decisions are made by administrators, not by physicians, and the former are not well attuned to the negative aspects of the software.
Due to the nature of this software requiring website re-direction each time you order anything, there is a 3-4 second lag time that occurs every other click, and that adds up to a lot of wasted time at the end of the day. Windows cannot be minimized, and you cannot simply insert your cursor and start typing in a section of the chart. Therefore, if you are in the middle of writing your HPI and the patient asks you about her lab result, you have to x out of several windows, check labs and then re-open several windows, adding to as many as 13-14 clicks, and a major interruption of the workflow. The upgrade to version 10 was disastrous. Customer support is horrible. Interface with the hospital system (Cerner), with the labs and with Sure-Scripts is awful.
There are many aspects that could be improved if there was any willingness on the part of their programmers to get better, but I think they take their popularity as an indication that they are doing well. The lab review process is cumbersome. When I have lab results for one patient that I want to review and post to the note, it takes me an average of 21 clicks. Rx eligibility is dysfunctional. Saving medications as favorites has not been working since the "upgrade". The conversion from ICD-9 to ICD-10 was poorly managed. Our institution uses a separate office management software, with a lot of redundancy and poor interface.

Pros

Macros and order sets.
The form of the finished note looks nice.

Cons

Everything else (see above)

Kael

Reviewed on 26/10/2014

eClinicalWorks Review

Pros

Read this review as a warning if you are considering eCW.

Cons

My brother asked me to step in as emergency manager of his primary care medical practice in San Francisco in 2009 (my background is tech startups). He's an internist and was salutatorian of his UCSF med school class, so he's a smart guy, even in a room full of smart guys. And he's extremely hard-working.

His partner chose eClinicalWorks for their 2-doctor practice. What was their experience?

First: it was extremely, and they had to make regular payments to keep using it, so when they got into financial trouble, this was one bill they had to pay, every time, because if they didn't, eCW could literally shut off the software and shut down their practice. That happened once, and then I made sure it did not happen again until we closed the doors (I was there 6 months, the last one spent actually shutting the practice down and helping my brother file Chapter 7).

Second: eCW's company culture, like that of almost all software companies (again, my background is high tech) is to over-promise and under-deliver. The company has absolutely no skin in the game. They do not have to actually make their software useful to you in order to get paid, and they don't care if their system is actually helping you run your practice; they only want to get paid.

Third: the software was overly complicated to use. The training was inadequate and not a priority for the vendor, and all the training was at an additional cost. This is a joke; the training should have been comprehensive, extensive, and free. I think the support staff probably needed about 3-4 times as much formal training as they received. They universally disliked the software, mainly because they felt it was overly complicated and not intuitive.

Jenny

Reviewed on 12/07/2018

I really like eClinicalworks PM.

Opportunities to improve our medical outcomes in all areas and departments.

Pros

All like the most features under the Billing navigation tab especially. The registry is the fastest way to get info drilled down to your specific needs. We are using the kiosk and questionnaires. This feature has helped tremendously with meeting Clinical Integration (CI) measures. It has also helped streamline patient check in and collecting outstanding balances. There are always new things to learn and try - always evolving!

Cons

The EBO reporting system. I do not find it easy to learn. I do not find it fits or is workable in the medical field. The reports do not give you current, month to date or year to date totals on your reports. You cannot create reports that give that information as well.

Flora

Reviewed on 29/11/2023

Communication Issue

My experience have been very negative.
Issues arise every other month and it takes for ever to solve

Pros

I have nothing positive to say
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cons

We have an issue in our medical practice for a couple of weeks
and its been next to impossible to get a hold of someone that can
explain what's going on. I've been sending emails, puttings tickets and
no response.
The worst part is that once you have this system is very hard to get out.