athenaOne Reviews

About athenaOne

The athenaOne Suite which includes athenaCollector a revenue cycle management solution and athenaClinials an EHR (electronic health records) recently ranked #1 in 2023 Best in KLAS for athenaClinials Ambulatory EMR for 11-75...

3.6

Browse athenaOne Reviews

Jarred
Jarred

Reviewed on 09/12/2018

Very easy to pick up and get going.

Pros

The user interface is very friendly and everything is set up to guide you through easily while entering patient information.

Cons

Sometimes the add on software like the label printer and document printer would stop working, but that is rare.

Colleen

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

Athena review

For the most part excellent. Upgrades and updates seem to have slowed down and I think Athena has leaned more on the Market Place Vendors and less on enhancing included offers. I have made suggestions over the years and have given up as I do not feel the suggestions postings are something that Athena has been able to keep up with.

Pros

Claims scrubbing software. Our claims go out clean and are paid quickly. Support with MIPS. Reporting capability. Athena Text messaging. Versatility, software runs on any device. Athena text messaging. Monthly account manager calls and metrics. Partnership. Ease of creating order sets and working in clinicals. Market place partnerships are great and enhance the software and functions. Not afraid to be disruptive and things up looking for best and innovative practices.

Cons

Collector and Communicator insurance card copy do not communicate. Hoping one day soon you will be able to interface with EPIC. The reporting is so good that sometimes I need more support to ensure I am selecting the correct criteria.

Prime Suite

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

User friendly, partnership, and overall program functions. Collector (claims scrubbing software), reporting, training, training/test site and learning portal. I had an on boarding team with Athena and my practice. The support and time we took to on board were invaluable. I loved Athena's Mission, values and vision. The MV&V was once on business cards, I really liked that, not sure what happened and haven't checked to see if it changed.

Reviewed on 20/04/2019

Report Data is NOT true data

Overall experience is one of much dislike to having to "vote" to get improvements. If they wanted to build a practice customizable EMR, they missed the mark gravely. Changes happened in November to the UDS reporting capability. Reports for clinical data were a mess, unreasonable, and horribly incorrect. They need much help with writing the logic in their reporting criteria.

Pros

Facesheet shows all of the pertinent information on each patient before an encounter is open.
AS LONG AS the clinical staff have updated the chart correctly.

Cons

I am stating this as a personal opinion that does not represent my present or past employer. I have used this EMR for FIVE (5) years in front office. back office, management, and reports. There are too many workarounds for the providers and support staff. Their logic in reports is insane. Data does not pull accurately, so charts have to be manually checked to see if a measure is actually satisfied. Calling the CSC in FIVE years, has resulted in ONE (1) helpful specialist, the others always have to put in a further review case, which never gets answered logically. I ask specifics and am given back elusive answers that leave me feeling inept, and I know it is this system, not my experience or understanding. ACO and UDS reporting is LOGICAL. The number of patients in a measure, like tobacco screening and cessation, is the denominator. The number of patients that have been screened for use and cessation education is the numerator. Easy to understand. Except Athena report logic doesn't pull accurate data. I have had to manually look at charts to see if the work was done by the clinical staff and change my data reporting that way before I report it out, and as of yesterday, out of 564 charts that "need data" in this report, 75 out of 100 satisfied the measure within the chart but not within the report. This is one example of the problems with the Athena logic, and why I would never recommend this to any FQHC that needs to report data to CCPM, ACO or HRSA.

Top athenaOne Alternatives

MedInformatix

Intelligent Customer Management

Ben

Reviewed on 04/04/2024

AthenaOne

We really like AthenaOne and are learning new things about it monthly. It is convenient and easy to use once you learn it. There are so many ways that AthenaOne makes everything easier that you almost get spoiled once you learn how to do something the easy way.

Pros

I like that AthenaOne is easy to learn and once you can navigate the different fields, you can know everything that you need to know about our patients.

Cons

AthenaOne has a lot of different fields and functions that are available. Learning everything there is to know and how they can help with your practice is almost a full-time job.

Mary
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 11/10/2023

Great all around

Overall, my experience has been very positive with Athena.

Pros

Athena asks for client feedback (often and in different ways) and actually acts on those suggestions. In this way, Athena develops a product that is more useful to the users.

Cons

CSC interactions. Support is not tailored to the sophistication of the user. Often times, we contact support as a last resort after trying various methods to solve the issue. CSC starts at the most basic level of response and then takes additional time to escalate the issue to a higher level of support.

NextGen Office and Tebra

Athena is the best!

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Athena had more offerings with a more streamlined user experience.
Taiwo

Reviewed on 22/07/2022

Tread Carefully and do not believe the sales rep

The EMR is ok to work with. I think combining with the RCM has really made the experience terrible. Please do not use their RCM or their billing service, you will lose money, miss deadlines for timely filing. They don't notify the practice if there is a large patient balance so you can't collect on time. They are so slow in updating patient and insurance payments so you don't know on time if your claims are denied early enough to take corrective action. This has been more frustrating. Once I took up the billing myself, life was so much easier. They also said you could downgrade at anytime, well there are stipulations to that, DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY TELL YOU. They say you'll have CSM (customer service manager) to help make sure your billing is going well; well, that's if you ever get one to speak to you. They were supposed to reach out monthly to ensure you are getting all the money due to be paid to you, no one reached out to me. 3 months in, I started wondering so I reached out, then they switched me to someone else who was trying to sell me more products. I would not recommend their billing services or RCM at all. Just get your own biller.

Pros

The EMR has good templates, the patient portal is pretty good. Implementation was the worst, they use these people who live in other countries who have the most minimum knowledge so implementing this was as stressful as using their RCUM. I had to ask for someone else because my go-live date was due and this guy could not answer my questions.

Cons

The RCM and billing service is the worst. Don't even attempt it.

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

You could downgrade at anytime Billing services seemed legit (I realize not so anymore)
Dr Nicole

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

Nickels and Dimes!

Some good, but everything is too automated and what's important easily falls through the digital cracks.

Pros

Admittedly, the software is easy to use and offers meaningful use suggestions. The five step patient visit is simple to understand. The patient portal is nice, however, the patient facing portion could look more modern. Billing is easy from a practitioner standpoint. It also is starting to integrate with other EMRs so occasionally we can pull labs and imaging from other participating systems.

Cons

Setup was arduous to say the least. Also, once claims are submitted, that's another story. I was sold that this software was all-in-one. They LIED. This is NOT the software for a small practice. They act as if I have an army of billing people when they told me that Athena was all I needed! For example, there was functionality that we needed to be aware of to find an important document from medicare. NO ONE told us and this document languished in some digital box. If we were a hundred person organization, I could pay someone to sit and manage the 20 or so boxes where they put communication. As a result, we got kicked off medicare for THREE months until I found out and remedied the cause.
I was assigned a 'customer success rep' and had to find out who it was because she never scheduled a call. The previous THREE other reps were no better.
They treat small practices like we don't matter.
If you have less than 100 employees, FIND ANOTHER EMR.

I'm in the market for another.

Peter

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

EHR

We still have issues with multiple ICD 10 dx being accounted for by the health insurance companies for patient visit billing. The billing information is limited to a certain number of codes per claim. For complicated patients with multiple problems the claims do not transition over to the insurance company. Usually only the top 4 would. Some patients can have as many as 20 codes per annual encounter.

Pros

Relatively easy to use after training and some oversite during implementation

Cons

It has little functionality for the large multi specialty group for customization. It doesn’t allow quick review of the ongoing story and treatment plan for chronic diseases. Medication flow charts are lacking for chronic disease management. The present ones are too cumbersome and time consuming to customize.

NextGen Office

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Leasing option was the best option only given by Athena at that time. Also our billing Dept was impressed with the Athena software for claims rules to prevent and reduce the claim denials.
Bobbi

Reviewed on 11/10/2023

athenaOne Review

I love athenaOne it is very user friendly!! It meets most all specialty needs. The growth and products that are offered makes me even more excited about the product

Pros

User friendly and all the improvements and updates Athena continues to make.

Cons

Pharmacy prior auths - they seem to be a problem in several of our tablespaces

Reviewed on 11/03/2022

Not a good choice for Behavioral Health (psychology, psychiatry, counseling, etc.)

Pros

It is fast; automatically saves most of what you type in; does not crash very often (3-4 times/year); email support requests usually answered within 24 hours; online help knowledge base is comprehensive and it has a good search engine.

Cons

Not designed for mental health EHR, patient management, communication. Primary care clinicians say it's "pretty good" although "EPIC is better". Most behavioral health clinicians do not like Athena (based on support forum polls and Athena even admits it if your decipher the corporate-speak.) Athena rarely designs workflows, templates, and processes for Behavioral Health. They cobble together features and processes used by primary care clinicians and staff and tell us it's designed for Behavioral Health. If Athena employs mental health professionals I've never seen them on video presentations or as authors of "how to" resources or anywhere else.

Abigail
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 21/08/2023

Excellent product, poor onboarding implementation.

AthenaOne allowed our business to consolidate many of our third-party apps into one complete EHR system.

Pros

AthenaOne is an all-in-one EHR system that has most, if not all, the features one could want in their EHR. If you wish to consolidate your softwares into one product, AthenaOne is a good option.

Cons

The worst part of AthenaOne was the lengthy onboarding process. While it is to be expected when switching EHR systems, our original sales representative did not give an accurate impression of just how extensive and lengthy the implementation is. Expect to need several full time employees working only on integration for several months.

Tebra

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

Valant has poor customer service and is less than satisfactory. It does not have many integrated features, meaning that other third-party applications are needed.

Valant EHR Suite

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Athena was faster to reach out and provide a demo. Pricing with athena is a percentage, Kareo is a flat fee.
Donna

Reviewed on 20/07/2016

Better than the rest

Our practice has been using Athena for our practice management software for over 10 years and we implemented the Athenaclinicals EMR in 09/2012.

Pros

Athenaclinicals has made Meaningful Use a manageable task by providing us with resources such as a checklist, status list and recommendations to meet Meaningful Use. Also they stay informed about the latest regulations and changes so that we can focus more on treating our patients and managing our practice.
The billing functionality has definitely helped improve our A/R as well as assist us in tracking encounters to ensure we bill everything our providers do.
Their credentialing functionality has also been helpful in assisting with enrollment and credentialing verification.
The EMR and charting functionality is very comparable to other available software.

Cons

The biggest issue we have run into in the past year is with regards to customer service. Athena has changed the way they handle issues that cannot be resolved by your initial CSC call. The only way to "speak to" or contact the people working on your issue is via Athena email. Unfortunately, this leads to miscommunication, confusion, frustration and delays in resolution.
Completing certain tasks are more cumbersome than necessary, at least based on the opinions of our providers and staff. They feel they have to click more "buttons" and complete more "steps" to get to their end result eg. check-in, processing documents, charting.
Athena has so many different features and functionality that it is difficult to make sure you are utilizing the software to it's fullest capabilities for your practice and specialty.

Ann

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

Sea change

When we selected athenaOne, we requested an (unreasonable) implementation within one month. They (appropriately) warned that this was not recommended but went along with us and WE DID IT. There were definitely issues that had to be addressed going forward but it was accomplished fairly quickly and smoothly and we were moving onto process improvement within the two months of implementation. We did identify and make improvements. Implementation for our Ortho group was 3/1/2019 and for the GYN group was 5/1/2019. In 10/2019, our accountant reported that we were better than we had been in 20 years! This is the sea change that occurred. The amount of clinical work and number of patients was not significantly different and despite high staff turnover, a location change, and a new EHR, the improvements that we were able to identify and implement moved us from being underwater to riding a wave of success.

Pros

The most important features of athenaOne which have produced a SEA CHANGE for our practices are 1) easy access to demographic, clinical, scheduling and billing information regardless of your role, 2) remarkable and rigorous data collection and report functions that allow optimal decision-making and tracking of business functions, and 3) an optimal platform for developing and implementing PROCESSES which improve efficiency, reduce human work and reduce human error.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that I don't optimally use all of the features because I haven't learned what they are yet! We have been using athenaOne for a little over three years and there are still a large number of features and processes that I could implement or use in our small practices. There is always a better way!

Sharyl

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

Athena creates EHR efficiency for medical practices

As stated above, since our Athena "Go Live" 2 1/2 years ago I have been able to reduced our medical practice overhead, reduce staff, all while increasing revenue, and providing to our providers and staff a manageable clinic day. At the end of each day, all messages and calls are returned to patients and the days charts completed.

Pros

I have worked with and launched four other EHR's. When people ask me what I like most about AthenaNet, I tell them that "Athena just makes sense."

We have a very busy medical practice seeing over 35 patients each day in our clinic along with answering over 60 triage messages on the phone or through the patient portal daily.

Since our Athena "Go Live" 2 1/2 years ago I have been able to reduced practice overhead while increasing revenue, all while providing a manageable clinic day for our providers and staff. At the end of each day, all messages and calls are returned to patients and the days charts completed.

Our success has been mostly do to Athena's ability to streamline our patient visit process from check-in to check-out, plus communication with patients outside of the patient visit.

Our check-in process with co-pays, scanning insurance information and updating demographics, day of visit medication updates, and insurance verification have significantly reduced check-in time.

Providers are able to view imaging within the patient's chart allowing clinical decisions and patient concerns addressed during the visit, along with orders placed using custom templates and patient information printed with patient identification barcode on each page that we designed to create an efficient process at intake, exam and check-out all in the exam room. In addition, billing and dictation are typically completed either during the exam, or before the end of that day.

Cons

The CSC process needs to get better. With the new CSC Create a Case process issues and problems are difficult to get resolved with one phone call. Many times my issue needs to be escalated, not able to be solved by the person on the phone.

jeffrey

Reviewed on 14/02/2017

Works well...

Hi. Quite surprised to read other reviews actually. Im a pod... starting in private practice with emr "Cerner"... hated it. always have, always will...although it has been at least 2 yrs since I've seen Cerner in action. My wife, another doctor, actually uses practice fusion...one of the many free online web based servers. I started with athena bc to me, starting out on my own (literally), it was the easiest one-stop-shop. Learning the system is not hard, it is quite easy. From beginning to end, I can literally -meet/greet/take copays, finish intake, perform and document my exam, treat the patient, proceed to check out and r/s and finally to billing- in all of...maybe 10-15 min...thats with NO staff. Done, seen, treated, billed! I like that. If a new patient, will be bit longer of course with intake, BUT that step is very rate limiting depending on who you have doing it.
I find ease, use and flow to be great. Rarely glitches, but yes there are some. Can easily work on 3-4 charts at once.

Pros

ease of use, it really is good.
work on multiple charts at one time
rarely glitches or down time
Athena is certainly closer to a "practice fusion"...
very user-friendly..set up more like navigating to/through a web browser/site then "medical-based program"
can use your own templates, but they claim to have many (i ONLY use my own- never even once tried athena's)
CS is NOT like most reviews are stating... I have used the Athena CS/help/claims helpline many, many, many times, and 90% of the time, issues gets resolved quickly.

Cons

the cost of course. the larger you are/more pts/billing, perhaps better the rate you will get.
that is the only thing for me really.... do I want a free based software that I may or may not like, and then pay for a biller? or pay for my own cloud-based billing software....? and then, of course, you have to check up on everything.... hmm. Its less worry and less need for staff if you ask me. Again, I just started out and although I have a steady flow of pts, my opinions may change if I were seeing 45-60 pts/day with a staff of 5-10 behind the counter....
For me, now, I am more than comfortable with Athena. I like them and I like the program.
Only real con I see (which I think u can manage/manipulate/pay for on different basis) the pt statements. Meaning, pts that owe the office money... Athena apparently sends out THREE (3) statements per month (..think ?this is correct). The issue is, the office has NO CONTROL over which statements go out. For a real example, I had a pt call the office re his bill/statement for $. Another patient called in for one that had a balance of $ of course probably copays and coinsurance, however, Athena completely misses sending other statements for much larger balances. So, it's kind of random. I have multiple pts with an outstanding balance or even $!

Susan

Reviewed on 18/04/2022

Terrible experience

When we first signed on with Athena almost 5 years ago things were OK. It seemed like they provided us with the onboarding help we needed, but, in the last year, it has been beyond terrible. You probably won't believe what I am about to say, but it is 100% true. 2 years into using Athena, we decided to change our practice name and speciality, and essentially needed to start another 'company' with all new tax ID etc. It required us to essentially onboard and become credentialed from the beginning again. I was assigned to someone named [SENSITIVE CONTENT] to work with this. We were about 7-8 months into the process when I started having the feeling that something was wrong, because no one was asking us for any information. I kept emailing and calling [SENSITIVE CONTENT] for reassurance that everything was going according to plan because our go live date was coming up. We had put out a lot of messaging to our patients that this big change was coming etc. I must have asked at least 6 or 7 times for clarification and he kept responding that everything was good to go. We 2 days before our go live date my rep called and apologized as she told me that actually, nothing had happened. The implementation of the new practice had been started or gotten off the ground. Apparently it had not 'gotten assigned to anyone in the right department'. Of course I was livid and just essentially dropped the process because Covid was happening and there was too much other stuff going on at the time.

Pros

The only thing I think has been really good has been its interface with labs and imaging

Cons

User ability and support: It is impossible to get any one on one help. It takes days to weeks to get someone to respond to a call. They require you submit these 'cases' when you have an urgent need which don't ever get addressed. It has been a nightmare. They are very expensive and so not worth it for what you get.

Bryan

Reviewed on 12/05/2015

Its All My Fault

Pros

Software is web based and accessible from any computer connected to the web. Integrates document handling as well as notes and billing into one package.

I reviewed a lot of products over the years and the basic design principle is what I was looking for.

Cons

Our experience was simply unfathomable. We were on this product for just less than one year.

Training and setup takes 3 months, not unreasonable but also they don't really understand small practices and how to train them. While various types of software are something I'm familiar with, and I found templates easy to make as well as modify, we were misinformed about what we were getting, and many of the bad experiences posted here were also experienced by us. We vetted this product as well as we could. We did a site visit, everyone we talked to was very happy with it. However, about the time we went on the product we understand that we were not alone in what followed, but it took weeks of searching to locate the others. Prior users, who had been happy also reported to us that they were struggling with it now. Another clinic in our town was struggling, one of their staff told me that they "hated it" but they apparently are not willing to speak out openly.

We were experienced EMR users, having used more than one product and having 13 years of experience.

Vendor training and support staff do not really understand their product, nor can they really help with other than simple questions. If there is a functional problem, you are just out of luck. They are just wasting your time online much of the time. We spent hours on the phone, week after week after week. Months of heavy, unbelievably hard and long days, working 15, 18, 21 hours in a day, and still unable to get encounters done. Over 100K in unsubmitted billings, unable to close the encounters. We kept customizing the workflow, adding encounter plans, adding templates, and the system kept getting slower, and slower, and slower, by the last month we were getting dropped off 20-30 times a day and the system was not responding to us for agonizingly long periods of time. Tech support absent, like the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain, saying everything is functioning well. We had one good month, only one, which deluded us into continuing to try to work with them. Three account representatives in 8 months, none of them did anything but the last one, who actually visited our office and told us we had not been informed of a problem using our OS and Athena, and that we "should have been told." Later, he retracts everything while on the phone with his supervisor saying "I was wrong."

My patients repeatedly told me that the patient portal was so slow that they just stopped using it.

They blamed our ISP first (we used it from 5 different locations with around 18 different computers), then it was our network, my staff, me, and in the end it was "something wrong with" my equipment but not a problem on their end. Complete and utter denial of a problem with the software.

My staff hours rose by a minimum 20-30% on Athena, not decreasing as we expected, my hours nearly doubled, my ARNP quit because she wasn't able to see patients fast enough to actually make an income, she was working 8-12 hours a day to see 8 patients. Staff informed me that misfiling of documents by Athena and their having to refile them was taking 2-3 times longer than if they simply filed them all themselves. This misfiling continued despite our efforts to get it corrected and despite some documents having the actual filing category in large bold print at the top of the page so they wouldn't have to figure it out.

We spent unbelievable amounts of time logging in, getting kicked off, getting unresponsive screens, and watching the "Wheel of Time" (apologies to the late Robert Jordan but he and his writing team haven't seen anything like the "Wheel of Time" that we experienced). It could take longer to submit a billing than it actually took to see a brief patient. It could take longer to document a visit for a complex patient than it took to see them.

This product could do it, but it was nonfunctional to much of the time.

We tried to get to talk directly to the technicians, they would not allow us, we tried to get in contact with the higher management and the people we were working with terminated our contract 11 months in, giving us the required three months notice. Three to four weeks later the system became essentially unresponsive most of the time, we had to either close immediately and declare bankruptcy or go back to our old EMR. We went back and pulled out of the mess.

It was to late though, I closed my practice just 10 days ago, after 14 years, I was not able to accumulate enough financial reserve to attempt another transition before ICD 10 goes into effect.

In my office, a 14 year old server, lowest cost Dell from 2001, single processor, 2 GB of RAM, handling outgoing faxes, importing incoming faxes from a Brother MFC, all incoming documents, an entire record system, a document handling library service with literally scores of thousands of documents in an electronic filing cabinet, with literally probably hundreds of thousands of pages of documentation, and my entire library of documents from 1998 onward, was able to easily outperform the Athena product.

I worked hard to make sure we had a good platform on our end, we had a gigabit network, new cabling, gigabit switches and ethernet cards, SSD's on all our PC's, and more ISP bandwidth than a nearby 90 bed nursing facility has for their TV, PC's, and their staff to use...all for a small 1.4 FTE solo practice with 5 persons using it.

It didn't matter, the system was not responsive.

Angelique

Reviewed on 07/01/2017

Great reports, poor customer service

Athena has a great and robust reporting module especially helpful for practices attesting for meaningful use and PCMH, the problem with this is that it is difficult to do on your own and requires a Customer service ticket which takes a long time to get answered.

The charting is easy once you get your templates setup. If you do not do this on the front end (during implementation) getting help to do later is impossible and you will need help as it is not very intuitive. Many templates were lost during one of their upgrades without warning so it has been difficult to rebuild them. We have grown and added locations while on Athena and because they are your primary biller if they do not verify all of the credentialing that you send them you cannot bill. This was problematic because you cannot directly talk to the persons doing this there is always a go-between with Athena.

I love the EPCS for patients requiring a schedule, as a pediatrician I have quite a few ADHD pts and nice not to worry about assessing where prescriptions really lost! No need for paper. However, with one of their upgrades, I can no longer save medications so must write sig and quantity for every medication each time which is time-consuming.

Lastly, the promised billing has failed our practice. The workflow was to be we would not need a biller and get increased revenue with clean claims. We see a large Medicaid population and were not told that they had virtually no experience with that and even going to them with specifics as to the problem it would still take upwards a month to fix. Not only have we not gotten rid of our biller but increased his time as many Medicaid claims he submits thru the portal yet Athena charges us for this. The account managers are unavailable in meetings vacations or no longer with the company.
Pros: Reporting, Easy charting once template is created, EPCS, Integration of charges to the superbill
Cons: Customer support, E-prescribing, Not reasonable expectation to not need a biller, Overpriced, not a good fit if you are a practice that adds services, providers, or locations, must use their bank to receive payments and then it takes 1-2 days to get transferred to your business account

jane
1.5

Reviewed on 19/06/2016

I am a provider and have used this system for over one year.

Pros

The prompts that help with RAF scores and star ratings is useful. I like the minichart feature and the meds data that pops up so I know what meds pts have been filling or getting elsewhere. I like the format for the assessment/plan and ordering of labs/studies/meds. I like that you can trend data like vital signs and labs.

Cons

THE BOX TO VIEW RESULTS IS A SMALL WINDOW IN WHICH YOU CAN ONLY SEE A LITTLE PART OF THE LABS AT A TIME AND HAVE TO SCROLL FOREVER TO SEE THE WHOLE THING. PLEASE ATHENA CHANGE YOUR VIEWING SCREEN FOR LAB RESULTS.
The scrolling action for everything is cumbersome and wastes so much time; there should be tabs that take you to each part of the note- the "jump to" feature is not the same and only works when you're working from the "exam" tab. It's hard to find old labs/notes/results unless you scroll, scroll, scroll through past notes. The more times the pt has been there the more scrolling you have to do to find things. There is no tab for imaging studies/labs/consults, etc.
**There is also no way to mark the incoming labs/documents/etc in your inbox to know that you've already viewed them; you may want to hold on to them for some reason but if you can't label that you've viewed it, the next time you open your inbox you keep reopening the same ones to check if it's an old or new document. This wastes time because each click takes a while to load. The system often seems slow even though our internet connection is fine. Jumping from one thing to another causes you to lose the window you were in.
There is no easy way to mark charts you want to make reminder notes for yourself on; you have to make a pt case each time and that crowds your pt case box. When someone replies to a pt case or sends a lab/imaging result back with notes it ends up back in my box but not marked as read or unread and sometimes I dont open because I think it's still the same old note/result I'm saving.
If I want to make suggestions to Athena there's no one to talk to about these things.

Elene

Reviewed on 16/02/2017

Amazing ease of use for providers.

EMRs are dinosaurs and no other industry would accept the dysfunction that we do (because CMS forces us to). Athena updated in May 2016 and now it is even more functional. I have a solo practice. I have ADD and scanning up and down the page to add details was exhausting. Now the sections (Review/HPI/ROS/PE/A&P) are at the top and I can go back and forth easily. If the patient gives me more details during the A and P then I just click on HPI and add the details, then click on A and P again. No scanning. While I am working on the progress note, I can go to diagnosis list, med list, lab and x-ray results, previous visits without going out of the note. The day is much less painful. Unfortunately, I am paying way too much and they will not renegotiate so be aggressive before you sign up. Customer support is good. As the provider base has grown, the support gets less effective. I know more than many of the support staff. They tell me things cannot be done and I have to figure out, often by mistake, how to do what I want. The implementation coordinator did not understand much of what she was doing and after implementation, it is almost painful to fix basic things. Much of it has not been fixed. The first year I almost went under financially and I spent all my savings to survive. My revenues are still not what they were. It did not help that Athena lost $ worth of checks and did not help me get them re-issued.

Pros

Ease of completing progress notes. Really really easy referrals. Accessibility of lab and imaging results. Consult notes not lost. Nothing lost. Confirmations by the system. Eligibility checked repeatedly. They have an interface with all the labs already so you don't have to pay to reinvent the wheel.

Cons

I hate the letter format and cannot get it fixed. The financial piece promised much more than it actually does.

dale

Reviewed on 01/11/2023

Bait and Switch

The athena account manager position ( or title de jour) has been a revolving door. We have never had a meaningful relationship with them before we are assigned a new manager.

Pros

The EMR was initially easy to set up. The billing functionality was adequate at first

Cons

Any requests for improvement are completely ignored. For instance, from the start we were told that an android app was just around the corner. That is still their position 13 years later....it will never happen. We are just told to "put it on the suggestion board". However, the reason for my review today is that the price has suddenly jumped in a huge way. Even though we have been told that the price (Percentage of GROSS collections) will drop over time, they have just raised the percentage that they take again. This is being blamed on "inflation" but obviously inflation alone will increase their withholding since they are on a percentage of collections basis. They in fact are just taking a bigger piece of the pie. Totally dishonest. And it is being done against our will, with no contract negotiation.

Cate
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 26/02/2019

Our "Alliance" with Athena

As a smaller local hospital we did not utilize Athena for our hospital ERM however our physicians network did. The system utilized by the hospital and Athena utilized by the physicians network did not communicate therefore information would need to be manually obtained for a patient who had a primary care physician within our own network that had been admitted to our hospital. Confusing for both nursing staff and the patient who was having to give a complete history and physical all over again. I was granted access to the Athena to act a liaison between hospital and physician. I found while utilizing Athena that it provided a valuable quick overview of patient demographics, medical history, medications, etc. However, while reviewing things such as medications I found that the system allowed not only for duplications but for entries to be saved as "free text" or saved while incomplete (missing drug strength, frequency, etc.). I was also disappointed to find that while I had access to this information, there was no quick way to share the information with other providers other than to print and fax or hand carry to patient chart on the hospital floor. A positive thing about Athena was that is was very easy to navigate so when a patient was admitted to our facility there was no digging through the last 12 months of patient follow-up visits to locate what they were last seen for, what medications they were prescribed, etc. Ease of use was certainly not the issue.

Pros

Fairly easy to navigate, allows for a quick overview of patient demographics, medical history, medications, etc.

Cons

For whatever reason coding allows for a lot of duplication or for information to be incomplete.

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

Athena makes my job mostly easier.

Pros

The workflow of Athena is excellent and uses common sense. E-prescribing, integrated fax, communication among office employees is a must.

Cons

There are a lot of steps to go through from chart completion to claim submission. Sometimes it feels like there is a lot of double work happening.
Athena does not know much medical terminology and often tells me that I am misspelling things when I know them to be correct.
I wish that the dictation portion were free.

EpicCare

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

Claim management. Practice growth.

EpicCare and EHR 24/7

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Cost and ease of implementation.
Tamara

Reviewed on 19/07/2016

functional but time-consuming EMR

Had a previous EMR from 2008-2014 that was much more pediatric-specific and pediatric-friendly. Had to make a switch when Meaningful Use happened, and Athena seemed the best of the options. It is not nearly as peds-friendly, and there is MUCH more clicking every day, every hour, every encounter. Whereas moving from paper to EMR originally sped up my work, moving from our first EMR to Athena did not speed things up and seems overall to slow things down in fact.

Pros

smart lists that know what orders might go with what diagnoses
ability to remind patients of next appointments, vaccines, etc.
ease of creating reports about anything
integration of Portal with EMR

Cons

no "office view". This is the single most frustrating part about Athena. In our old EMR, I could easily see what patients were in what room waiting for one doctor in the office all at once. THat's not possible with Athena, and without that, I will never feel completely happy with the system.

I also hate how difficult it is to quickly look at recent visits, because the "Visits" tab includes phone calls, and other "encounters" that aren't the same as visits.

The new streamlined version makes taking care of quality parameters impossible because of the time involved to click and wait on each one. (In the previous version, I could click on everything that was satisfied outside of Athena and then save it at once). Now I just ignore that tab due to time.

HOWARD
2.5

Reviewed on 16/08/2016

frustrated user

Pros

Easy charting. The billing software works well. There is little else positive I can say.

Cons

There are multiple clinically important flaws within the software. The medication list that the patient sees has no resemblance to the true list that the physician sees. Inaccurate information abounds. The patient sees no instructions on how to take their meds. The completed clinic note is jumbled, with the HPI buried halfway between the Review of Systems and the Family History. It takes 15 clicks of the mouse to refill a prescription. When we send a refill authorization to the pharmacy the patient gets no notification that the work was done. If you order something from Amazon, you get an immediate order confirmation. Not so with Athena. The problem list in the chart is listed in some random illogical order -- so the diagnosis of cerumen impaction can head the list while something important like DM, CHF or COPD might end up at the bottom of the list. The fees that Athena charges are outrageously high. They take a percentage of your collections, so as you'd expect, they work very hard to collect every penny for you. They don't work very hard to improve the part of the EMR that provides excellent patient care. I could go on and on .....but the most discouraging fact is that when the company is alerted to software glitches, or issues that could really improve patient care, NOTHING IS DONE. Its not like it takes a few weeks to correct the problems. MONTHS go by and THERE IS NO RESPONSE.....NO CORRECTIVE ACTION.