LivePlan Reviews

About LivePlan

LivePlan supports entrepreneurs and small-to-medium sized business in planning, funding, and growing their business. Creating a dynamic business plan is easy in LivePlan. Step-by-step guidance, examples, and expert support help...

Browse LivePlan Reviews

Renea
Renea

Reviewed on 01/06/2018

My Go To Software For My Clients

The ability to provide a workable and successful business plan.

Pros

I can produce a business plan for my clients extremely quick using LivePlan. I have used it on startups and other business types, in different industries.

Cons

The template choices and overall look and feel of the templates I would like to see improved much more.

Lucy
Lucy

Reviewed on 28/03/2018

Good for planning and forecasting, rubbish at Actuals to compare performance against plan

Checked my business plan was viable, helped me clarify my thought processes. Gave me something to measure performance against.
Unfortunately doesnt integrate to Zoho Books (as of March 2018), nor is there any opton to import from a CSV or other spreadsheet format.
If you are a Xero or QB user you can link to get your actuals for comparison against plan, BUT proceed with caution. You cant undo the data import - everything needs deleting manually, and you cant choose which timeframe you import data for. Its last 2 years plus current year and thats that. So if your business has changed significantly and you only want say last six months dat you cant achieve this

Pros

Cloud based, easy step by step process for planning for novices. Once you have put in the basics of revenue streams and costs its very easy to play "what if" type questions and see the impact on your forecast.
You can get into enormous detail if you want or build this up over time as you develop your thought process.

Cons

Where the product really falls down is when you want to compare with Actuals. It only connects to Xero and Quick Books and you have no control over the data or time period that it syncs at all - current year plus last two years, which is rubbish if your business has pivoted and you only want the last six months data for example.
Whats worse is you cant roll back the sync - you have to manually delete all sync'd data.
Further if you dont use Xero or QBooks, there is no option to import from a spreadsheet - so again you need a data entry person to manually enter actual data unless you want to spend ages doing it yourself...
Very disappointed as up to this point had liked the platform.

Maranda

Reviewed on 13/04/2020

Decent enough for SMEs

Overall a good starting point to assist a small business entrepreneur with little or no business planning experience,should consider more options to integrate with accounting apps and visually biased analytical tools to enable better tracking of post planning perfomance on more devices as well.

Pros

I like the ease and simplicity of building the projections and adjusting them with different scenarios.

Cons

The write up section is a bit limiting in certain aspects for example there are no font selection options if one wants to change to their company document preferred font style ( Century Gothic) as well as set my paragraphs as justified as opposed to left indented.I cannot import tables and adjust them within the plan document, The graphical representations of the projections are a bit visually limited in color and info graphic presentation options .particularly if one wants a more visual document.It would also be nice to have a quick preview option for the document as u build it without necessarily having to export or down load a pdf to get and idea of how it look in print.

Top LivePlan Alternatives

Jeanette
Jeanette
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

Too expensive

Ok to use but when done with the plan, there is not really a reason to keep paying.

Pros

Easy to use and good help for creating a Business plan

Cons

When you have done the plan it is just there and I have been paying a lot of money for just storing my Business plan for 2 years. Now I have to prioritize what I spend my money on and this is one thing I dont need at the moment.

Response from Palo Alto Software

Thanks for your feedback Jeanette, we appreciate you taking the time to leave it!

Many people keep their subscription long term, because they use the Dashboard feature to track their progress, compare their actual results to their plan, and continually update their plan based on what they've learned from experience.

LivePlan is a great tool in this regard to manage your business if it is already running, or when you begin operations.

LivePlan is also non-contract, so you can use the software for as long as you like, and cancel when you need. So if you need it just to make one plan quickly, you are welcome to cancel when you are finished with no risk. You can also switch a monthly plan to annual billing later to take advantage of the savings offered there if you plan on using it for longer.

Replied 10/02/2020
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 07/10/2018

LivePlan takes the intimidation out of writing a business plan!

LivePlan is helping my business grow because I am able to stay organized with goals and milestones as we are meeting them. I can see firsthand what is allowing my company to grow and where we need to make changes to be successful.

Pros

I really liked working with LivePlan to build a business plan. LivePlan helped me with having a template available to build my business plan upon. I thought writing a business plan would be something I would have to outsource and get help with. LivePlan allowed me to take control of writing and creating my own business plan. I love that I can change and expand my business plan at any time! I can also share my plan with potential investors and feel confident that it is both organized and professional.

Cons

I would like if the software would integrate with my accounting software, that way I can see in realtime how my cash flow is cooresponding with my company goals.

William
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 06/04/2019

LivePlan review

This a great tool to use with my Clients, adding extra value to them.

Pros

Very useful Dashboard functionality, which gives the user a very good view of their financials

Cons

No option to upload figures from a file if you don't use QuickBooks online or Xero accounts.

Trevor
Trevor
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 12/01/2020

Great

Pros

Very easy to put together a professional business plan and slide deck for investor presentations.

Cons

Monthly fee. Expensive during times we weren't actually using it

Response from Palo Alto Software

Thanks for taking the time to review LivePlan, we really appreciate it Trevor!

Seyi
Seyi
  • Industry: Farming

Reviewed on 19/02/2020

EXCELLENT PRODUCT

Farm setup business plan

Pros

I like the reviews form the pitch and the task reminders some days before it is to happen. It is simple t use if one just follows every direction and guide provided.

Cons

You can only work online. If it can be designed in such a way that you work offline and then upload online, that would be nice. Anyway that's my thought.

Response from Palo Alto Software

Thanks for leaving feedback Seyi!

Replied 09/03/2020
Dunsin
Dunsin

Reviewed on 30/05/2023

Great product

It's been a great run with Liveplan for over 5years now

Pros

Product way of use and how it makes my financial planning easy

Cons

The new price upgrade does not make subscribing easy anymore

Robert
Robert

Reviewed on 04/06/2018

Best software in financial management

I can change the structure and model of our business much easier and accurate

Pros

The price set to pay for in order to use the software is friendly
There is training on site afforded by the developer
There is online support available to help new users

Cons

It is not easy to integrate this software with other business plan software that were available for use by the company before moving into this one

Dennis

Reviewed on 19/05/2017

A business plan software that anybody can use.

A full business plan, and real projections of what is expected to be spent and what is expected to be made. After the projections the actual real numbers show, when conducted right the projections are accurate.

Pros

LivePlan is extremely easy to use and straightforward. The options are almost endless. Every aspect of a business plan can easily be addressed and completed with help from the software itself. Everything has an explanation from profit and loss projections to real time profit and loss and that's just one feature. Business summary, analysis, and the executive portfolio are all ready to be put together and turn out very well put together as well as the step by step process of putting together your business plan.

Cons

Limitations on time. Liveplan offers three options: 3 year, 5year, and 10 year projections. Unfortunately it is limited to that time frame which disappoints because other than the time frame, just about everything else is customizable.

Keneisha
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 30/05/2023

Live Plan is AMAZING

Pros

I was first introduced to LivePlan while getting my MBA, and now that I am launching my own business, I find myself coming back. LivePlan is a simple-to-use application for anyone launching a business and wanting to speak to banks or investors about funding their business. LivePlan sets you on a great course to speak intelligently about your business.

Cons

LivePlan could offer more downloadable template options.

Matthew
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 06/02/2022

I don't think it could be easier for someone who is unfamiliar with formal business plans to produce an accurate and professional result. I learned more about running my small business from a week of focused work in this software than I have from any other single source. It has fundamentally changed the way I view my business ventures and it will undoubtedly save me from many cash flow frustrations in the future. Highly recommend.

Pros

Logical & progressive layout, detailed instructions, examples. I especially appreciate that so far, I have hardly run into any situation that I could not accurately represent in the business plan because there has always been an appropriate option.

Cons

I haven't used every feature yet. I will update if I have suggestions, but for now I'm still learning.

• Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

Making a Business Plan? This is the best software!

The experience was productive and the software is great!

Pros

I've bought the software recommended by a friend. The software is easy to use, however there are lots of resources that my team has never used. LivePlan was only used to make a couple of Business Plans. It's not the cheapest in the market, however its worth while.

Cons

It's only possible to open and manage a company at a time without paying an extra fee.

Response from Palo Alto Software

Thanks so much for your feedback Daniel!

• Industry: Nanotechnology
  • Used for Free Trial

Reviewed on 20/02/2019

seems like a scam

This depends on if I get my refund or not.

Pros

Well, the price seemed too good to be true, but I signed up anyway. Withing five minutes of signing up with my credit card and watching a couple lackluster videos and trying to find what I needed, I decided this wasn't for me. I proceeded to cancel, but it appears I cannot get my money back and I must wait one month for my subscription to cancel. How easy they taketh, but how difficult to returnth.

Cons

No robust, colorful, attractive. Videos a bit bland.

Response from Palo Alto Software

Hello anonymous,

We do offer a 60 day, no questions asked, money-back guarantee with any of our software. To receive this refund, one simply needs to contact one of our Customer Advocates by phone, email or chat during our normal hours of operation.

Please contact us directly (click the Contact Us link in the upper right hand corner of our website) and mention this reply to your Capterra review so we can discuss your situation further.

Best regards,
Sean Serrels
Director of Customer Advocacy
Palo Alto Software, Inc. makers of LivePlan

Sabrina
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 27/06/2023

Sabrina's Cleaning Services review

So far, I really enjoy using it. When I get more in depth, it will used more often. Right now I am just trying to get my business plan wrote.

Pros

I really appreciate that it helps me find my wording. It does all the hard work and I appreciate that so much.

Cons

Something that I think needs improved is that if you need help there is someone on live chat to help. There might be, but I havent checked yet.

• Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 18/12/2019

Easy to use and professional software

Pros

LivePlan was excellent for writing a business plan, it helped to guide the actual planning for the business by allowing us to change variables and see the results. The end product is very detailed and professional looking. The best part of the software was the easy walk-through process, it made it very easy to enter data and return to revise it later. Being able to collaborate with peers on the process and have a partner enter data at the same time was also very useful.

Cons

I can't think of any significant issues with the software, it worked very well.

Response from Palo Alto Software

Thanks for you review Michael!

Angela
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 12/04/2022

Worth it!

Excellent- working together with our consultant/advisor allowed us to piece together a concrete business plan and presentation we were proud of.

Pros

This software not only integrates with our QBO, but also by utilizing the professional advisor helped us achieve the reports/business plan we needed to present to the bank. It made us feel confident and secure in our numbers and gave us a clear view of our past, present and future! I highly recommend LivePlan. If you need organization and a business plan and forecast- what are you waiting for? LivePlan makes planning easier!

Cons

I tried using on my own-it was a struggle- I found working along side a LivePlan advisor made all the difference!

Giovanni

Reviewed on 05/08/2019

Helps you set the scene!...

Brilliant! I just keep renewing, checking and playing with my business financials and have used it to collaborate too!

Pros

I love the intuitive nature of this product, it literally takes you through the steps of a business plan, and to really think about all the little elements within your business. It also Synchronises with XERO with is a bonus, so you can see forecast vs actual etc..

Cons

Some of the settings for tax and other, for a layperson, are hard to get your head around, I think some videos or other resources would help here?

crystal

Reviewed on 27/01/2017

Business Helper

Cheap, easy to use and provided us with a plan that made sense. I don't know how else our business would survive without it.

Pros

Perfect for budgeting and our financials.

Manasa
  • Industry: Farming

Reviewed on 31/05/2023

Business plan

Excellent. Very easy to use and details

Pros

It provides details in planning with example

Cons

Some examples use is very hard to understand in the business that I Have

Nancy
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

Didn't help me

I purchased this to help create a business plan and it may work for other businesses but the help given was mostly for retail companies. Not much help for an insurance agency.

Pros

Customer service is excellent, I was able to reach someone immediately when calling.

Cons

It is a little difficult to try and figure out even after watching the tutorials.

Response from Palo Alto Software

Thanks for your feedback Nancy - greatly appreciated.

Replied 10/12/2019
Wesley
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 18/03/2018

Easy way to keep track of a constantly changing business structure

Pros

When we found LivePlan we were looking for an easy way to record our business structure so that we could show it to stakeholders. This application turned out to be a great tool for that task. We enjoyed it enough to where we keep our account going and now we regularly update our structure to make it easier to have conversations with potential investors, our banker, and other stakeholders.

Cons

The ability to collaborate sounds nice but the price associated with doing this makes it slightly prohibitive to us at this point. Perhaps in the future when we expand our business and the potential for a spin off becomes viable we might use this feature.

RICARDO

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Great Sotware

Pros

I like the ease of use, support and the step by step process.

Cons

I would have like to have seen more templated options for final business plan.

Response from Palo Alto Software

Thank you so much for your review, Ricardo. We greatly appreciate the feedback! LivePlan has multiple export options and visual designs to choose from - hopefully that helps!

Replied 05/12/2019
Dakota
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

Great product & Great Price

Pros

I liked how the data interacted with itself in the program. The ability for the program to keep track of changes in financial data as well as show the impact of those changes is unmatched.

Cons

Small learning curve, but very easy once you get the hang of it.