BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy) Reviews

4.7

About BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Divvy from BILL is a spend and expense management solution that gives small and midsize businesses the credit they need and helps them save time and money by automating expense reports, budgets, and reimbursement processing — all...

4.8

Browse BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy) Reviews

Zachary
Zachary

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

The best software our company purchased in 2018!

Overall, Divvy has enabled my company to gain WAY better insight into where dollars are going. We now know where we are over-budgeting and under-budgeting each month. Divvy makes tracking business expenses fun — I never thought I'd say that!

Pros

I first learned about Divvy via the daily business newsletter, Morning Brew. I was in disbelief that the product was totally free, so I scheduled a demo call. As it turns out, Divvy really is TOTALLY free. The app is incredibly user friendly and switching/updating budgets is surprisingly easy. But while the app interface is nice, the push notifications are wonderfully helpful, and Divvy travel has us saying bye-bye to Expedia, the REAL value our agency has found in using Divvy is the virtual card feature. As the Director of Marketing Strategy at a small Marketing Technology Agency, I manage a team of people who run a plethora of digital ads campaigns for numerous clients in any given month. Divvy's virtual card feature allows us to manage media buys on behalf of our clients without needing to open 100+ credit cards (or require the client to use their card). So, we're able to manage our clients' monthly spend and charge them a small admin fee (for putting the spend on our cards) without incurring ANY credit card fees.

Cons

Honestly, there are really only two things I dislike about Divvy:

1. That there isn't a Divvy for PERSONAL spending (I've been Googling looking for something like this for the past few weeks now...nothing seems to exist!)

2. The saving a receipt feature/adding notes feature is a little spotty at times. I find that I often need to go back into a purchase and re-upload the photo of the receipt/re-type my note. Hopefully this is a bug that gets worked out with the next app update.

Response from BILL

Hi Zachary,
Thanks for the feedback! I've sent your feedback regarding the photo receipt uploads to the director of product, and he's looking into a way to improve that process and ideally ensure that it never happens again. Just wanted to thank you personally for joining the Divvy family of happy customers, and for taking the time to leave a great review!
-Mark

Replied 19/12/2018
Aaron

Great Credit Card and Expense Tracking Software

I have loved Divvy! I highly recommend it. We are much more streamlined and misplace way few receipts.

Pros

I love that we now have credit cards instead of a bunch of debit cards. I like the app a lot. My employees and I get a notification immediately on our phone to upload receipts, categorize the expense, and write any notes. I also love that I have control over how much money each of my employees have access to. I can easily take away and add more.

Cons

I have had a few cons. 1) I am supposed to get a reminder email every Monday morning with a "to-do" list. I have gotten it about 50% of the time due to bugs in the system. The same goes for my employees. 2) I would love to not be able to approve my own transactions. 3) On the transactions page, place where you add filters seems not as well organized as I would like. I would love to be able to personally edit the order of the filters. I am constantly scrolling to the bottom.

Reviewed on 04/01/2023

The worst software purchase that I have ever experienced

Horrible and SUPER frustrating! When we were demoing the product we were told that the application process will take at the most a week, it took us 4 month to get our application approved. We have worked with following team: [SENSITIVE CONTENT]. It took sometimes several follow ups to get answer and any progress on the issues we were dealing with. In the end we had to go through their Credit Builder program to get set up on the system. Next was setting up integration with NetSuite, there was a small issue with set up and it took following up and 14 days for them to find solution. (having experience working with other softwares this is very very long time)And final issue, logging in only two weeks after everything was set up (users, departments, integrations ect.) we see message [SENSITIVE CONTENT]. Which we do and the support team tells us that they are closing Credit Builder program and if we are still interested in their spend software we are welcome to re-apply for Divvy at any time.This is the most frustrating experience that I had thought my career.

Pros

Can't say anything here because I didn't even have an ability to experience the software.

Cons

The big one - support, from the start of application to installing the integration with Net Suite. Very slow to address the issues, team seemed very low on knowledge of the product and processes.The application process - limited to US only. If you want to apply for it and you are not in US DO NOT EVEN THINK about applying for it, the verification process was tedious and frustrating.

Response from BILL

Hello,
I apologize that your experience with Divvy has not lived up to your (and ours) expectations. It looks your account has been reopened and is being reconsidered for a credit line at this point. If you are no longer interested in being reconsidered then we can take you off the list and close your account. Please reach out to us [email protected] for further assistance. We appreciate you leaving a review, hearing your feedback will help us continue to improve the customer experience for you and others.

Replied 10/01/2023

Top BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy) Alternatives

Reviewed on 14/11/2022

Divvy is the best expense software by far!

Overall with Divvy, we’ve been able to increase visibility in spending, empower our employees to make purchases and allow our budget managers control over what is being spent from their budget. It has been a win-win-win for us. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Pros

I love that Divvy is not only free, but that it also allows you to manage expenses companywide we have about seven spenders in our small business and using Divvy allows us to assign budgets issue funds to particular employees and allow them to make purchases as needed. it also streamline to the bookkeeping process because all of the transactions are already categorized and require receipt upload it is absolutely fantastic.

Cons

It’s hard to think of anything I don’t like about the software because I love it so much the only negative I can think of is that setting it up to integrate well with your books can’t take a bit of time however, their team walks you through the entire process from beginning to end, which makes the process a lot easier.

Expensify and Ramp

Reasons for Choosing BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

We wanted to each of our employees to have their own cards and give our budget managers more visibility over what is being spent

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Divvy was completely free and offered all the features that we needed to get started. The other alternatives either offered clunky integrations or some sort of upfront financial requirements. In order to get started. divvy was super easy to get approved and set up
Miguel
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED!!!

Their customer services is by far the best we have ever experienced. We use the live chat all the time and help get issues resolved right away. Also, they are constantly innovating, making processes more efficient and effective and take customer feedback seriously. Lots of the requests or comments I've had with them have turned into solutions within weeks. Everyone in our office loves Divvy and haven't had a single thing to complain about.

Pros

For years we had wanted to get corporate cards for staff but did not want to take the risk of not having credit and approval controls like we do now with Divvy.

The ease of use, simplicity, and thoughtfulness that comes with Divvy is why we love it.

Oh and it's free!

Cons

I have not had a single issue with them.

BILL and Expensify

Reasons for Choosing BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Credit control, manager controls, ease of use, mobile access, and cloud storage of transactions.

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

The best and easiest customer experience with the app. It's clean, innovative, has been thought out well, and super easy to use. Also, their customer service has been 100% great, and it's free.
Stephen

Reviewed on 09/06/2021

Seriously the Best App our Business Found, for Anything

Pros

If you're a small business with big monthly expenses, and petty cash headaches, Divvy is a no-brainer. Each of our field techs have a card we can control from the office, or divvy out funds as needed.

As a small family business, this cut down on half our office work (and my mother no longer goes through receipts in the office; she can just retire)

Divvy integrates with Quickbooks well, but here's the thing... we didn't even integrate it.
Its simpler for us to keep it totally independent from other accounting software, because working in Divvy's web app is a joy. The UI is simple and great.

All of our company payables and receipts management stays on Divvy, and our bank account shows one payment per week for Payables. That's it. The purchase info can't be messed up with bad OCR, because the info comes from the Bank account.

Cons

Nothing. So far it's perfect for us. We haven't been able to mess anything up yet.

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

-Instant reconciliation with purchases, and in-app labels if transaction details are incomplete. -Transparency of petty-cash funds. -Field tech credit cards with admin controls from app and web app -instant expense report creations. -No risk of Bad OCR creating repeat work (totals and info are pulled from the vender)
Jeff
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

It's the best because it is simple

It has been very positive. They are timely in their responses and they are flexible and open to customer ideas for improvement.

Pros

It is very easy to use and very ease to teach users how to use. It allows us to customize expense fields, budgets and reports so as an accounting team we get what we need, but it is simple enough for any user to use.

Cons

The only complaint I have at this point is that we cannot set limits for receipts. I'd like to be able to say "all transactions over $20 require a receipt," but that is not available yet.

Expensify and SAP Concur

Reasons for Choosing BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Ease of use and reporting ability.

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Ease of use and the link of a credit card program to the expense reporting platform.
Allison

Best Receipt Tracking/Company Credit Card

I have had nothing but wonderful and positive experiences with everyone at Divvy.

Pros

The app and platform are so intuitive and easy to use. I am amazed at how difficult our life was before Divvy and so grateful we made the switch.

Cons

I haven't come up with anything yet. So far everything works great.

Chase
  • Industry: Automotive

Innovative and unparalleled service

Pros

I love how easy it is to use Divvy. It has significantly reduced the time to close the books at month end. We used to have to wait at least a week just to reconcile credit card transactions, but with Divvy, it only takes one to two days. The team at Divvy has been extremely receptive to our feedback and providing the best customer experience possible.

Cons

The software is constantly evolving as we and other gives feedback (this is a good thing), but there doesn’t seem to be one clear cut path of best practices with Divvy.

Erin
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

Saves so much time for a small accounting and admin team

The Divvy team was fast and friendly. I submitted an application and a week later I had cards, an active admin portal and virutal cards set up for vendors. Special thanks to [SENSITIVE CONTENT] for helping us get set up so fast!

Pros

The best thing about Divvy is that employees can designate a transaction to a specific budget right at the time of the transaction. They upload the receipt right then and there and they're done! No more bugging staff for expense reports, missing receipts, wrong amounts. This will be a game changer for our small team.

Cons

We are still pretty new to Divvy but so far it's been great. We'll need to make sure that there are strong controls for everyone, including admins on the account but so far it has been a solid product. Very intuitive and easy to use.

Miriam
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

Seems too good to be true — but it's true

Expense management is not a stressor in my life because of Divvy, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Pros

Divvy is as simple as it gets with expense management. Everyone on the platform, from myself as the one who implemented it for our team to the newest employee just onboarding, has had such an easy time navigating it and understanding their role on the platform. It is intuitive, quick, and seamless. The customer service team is second to none and any time we've had a request or question we get help right away from the best team out there.

Cons

Business reporting could be made a little more nuanced for teams to be able to play with more views etc. in the dashboard, but this isn't a big enough con to move away from Divvy to anything else and they take innovation seriously. I won't be surprised to see more functionality here launch in the near future if enough customers are asking for it.

Darren
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Reviewed on 09/12/2020

Very quick and easy to implement with great customer service

Overall I very impressed with Divvy and the constant innovation of making using and administing the card easy.

Pros

Very easy to integrate into our business and very user friendly software.

Cons

Out of pocket reimbursement. Be easier once approved Divvy sent check to individuals and charge the Divvy account vs ACH funds to Divvy.

Jonathan

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

Divvy is an excellent overall package!

It's great to have a business line of credit available; really helped with my cashflow and having a card to give to others over which I have such a large amount of control is fantastic.

Pros

I really like being able to upload receipts via the phone and being able to forward on email receipts because it helps me not forget!

Cons

Some of the internal menus and the incentive interface are sluggish and unhelpful. Having a year lag on rewards is also poor. Finally, I would appreciate more accountability on how credit decisions are reached. Particularly after ledgers and statement of accounts have been given.

Ramp

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Divvy was more welcoming and user friendly.
Jacob
Jacob

Reviewed on 28/10/2019

What we needed in a Corporate Credit Card

Overall we have had a great experience with Divvy. We were waisting so much time with fraud issues with other cards. Also has helped us with our employee card reconciliation. We can have required fields that our employees need to fill out like notes.

Pros

Virtual Cards are easy to generate, Control of employee cards and funds is really nice, Reporting is good, support has been really good

Cons

It is a little difficult for employees to catch on to how everything is supposed to work. It changes fairly quickly (good because it gets better, but con because you have to change your processes or relearn the software)

Fraud and reconciliation.

Cost and simplicity
Ravi
Ravi
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 11/09/2023

Integrations are solid

Pros

This product has a lot of really deep integrations for accounting software and the app is very good

Cons

its not a credit card and the billing practices prior to bill.com taking over were questionable at best. it does take a lot of work to setup all the integrations and workflows.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your feedback on BILL Spend & Expense Ravi. We are glad that our product is able to provide you with deep integrations for accounting and that the app is working well for you. We apologize for the difficulties that you experienced with billing and the work it takes to setup all the workflows and integrations. We are always looking for ways to make our software easier to use and if you need any assistance in future please contact 1(855)229)3111.

Replied 12/09/2023
  • Industry: Wholesale

Divvy is amazing!

The people are awesome...the app is effortless....I can't imagine life without Divvy anymore.

Pros

Time savings, faster expense approvals, cash rebates & increases in enterprise value.

Cons

Need a better mileage reimbursement app, which we understand is coming.

Mathew
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Fantastic Enterprise Solution

Pros

No Cost & more efficiency - I was able to reduce organizational expenses by over $20,000 annually AND increase efficiency , transparency in the budget process, and give visibility to department leaders on real-time spending.
The customer support has been fantastic.
Fraud controls and prevention have been fantastic - we have been able to quickly isolate and stop attempted fraud, either by our user or notification from the Divvy team.

Cons

I would like the ability to organize budgets in a more hierarchical way, so that Department leaders can start with their overall budget and drill down into sub-budgets.

• Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 24/02/2022

Divvy makes everyone's job easier

Divvy has been an enormous improvement to my company by putting purchasing into the hands of the end user, with adequate accounting & budget control. Our users now do not have to use their own money for business expenses and get reimbursed if they have a divvy card, and the accounting department has to do less purchasing/ordering for programs now that they can do it themselves. We are loving the constant updates that make the system more robust and flexible. The customer service is amazing, I always get timely and friendly help, and every feature of the system is well documented/explained so it is easy to understand.

Pros

Ease of use, customer service, customizability, constant improvements to the system and its capabilities

Cons

Slow loading of transaction data on the website, could use more robust pre-approval process including more than one approver of an expense before a funds transfer, & our physical card orders get lost/never delivered about 50% of the time

Emma
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 12/09/2023

A Game Changer for Us!

With BIll spend and expense, it makes it very easy for us to keep track of employee expenses but everything about the platform is all amazing. We have cards for everyone but also virtual card feature is great. To be able to upload the receipt from the app and to also approve/disapprove charges is great. We are truly grateful.

Pros

The thing we loved the most is how easy and amazing the platform in general is. We also absolutely love the mobile receipt feature. We hated keeping track of receipts.

Cons

Honestly, nothing at this moment. We really love the product.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your feedback Emma. We are glad that BILL Spend & Expense is easy to use and makes keeping track of receipts less stressful. Our goal with having both the physical and virtual cards is to make it more efficient when you have workers on the go, so we are happy that this works well for your team. If you have any concerns in the future please feel free to contact 1(855)229-3111.

Replied 13/09/2023
Laura

Reviewed on 05/12/2022

Grow with Divvy

One of the biggest things that Divvy has helped us with is bookkeeping and categorization, and as a result we have been able to stick with our outsourced accountant for 4+ years instead of hiring a new employee. As we grow to surpass 100+ employees, we look forward to continuing to grow with Divvy and seeing what value they continue to provide.

Pros

Divvy is ahead of its time as a product and company. The employees are high-quality, super helpful, and they have a fast chat response time and help solve your problems quickly. The product is constantly improving. It has helped us to manage spend from less than 10 employees to almost 100 employees.

Cons

Waiting on HRIS integration with Rippling but told this is coming soon! Can't wait!

Jody

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

Lots of control

Pros

Can lock down most cards and control what they purchase

Cons

Export to Quickbooks doesn't always export correctly and guys in field have to activate things when it would be nice if the office could do it.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Crumbl & Divvy

Very positive. Incredible support, attention to our needs, and willingness to work with us to maximize value.

Pros

The software is very easy to use, quick to get up and running to facilitate spend, and has good integrations into major accounting software.

Cons

I would want to see it expand to fill more and more of the spend management niche. The great thing is that they are expanding. the Bill.com acquisition will quickly get this product positioned to handle more and more spending categories. I anticipate that soon we'll be able to manage enterprise-level budgeting and forecasting entirely out of this software.

Jon
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 05/12/2022

Makes managing company expenses so easy!

Pros

I love Divvy it makes managing company expenses so easy. Virtual cards, tracking receipts, event/subscription budgets, etc!

Cons

I think it works great. If you do have an issue you can reach out to support and they will help you.

Stripe and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise
Joseph
Joseph
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 07/07/2021

Easiest Expense Tracking on the Market

The time it takes for us to reconcile expenses with our over 200 volunteers worldwide is so fast compared to our old system. The time-save alone is worth it to us. The cash back and superb customer service is icing on the cake.

Pros

Divvy software is super simple to use and very user friendly. We were able to set up and implement Divvy globally in just two days. We have saved thousands just by switching to Divvy and our expense reconciliation takes a fraction of the time it used to take when we did manual receipts.

Cons

There are a few items that aren't as customizable as we'd like when it comes to setting up budgets. We've submitted requests for the development team to work on it and they informed us the features we were requesting are already in processed and should be rolled out soon.

Brex
Andrea

Reviewed on 06/12/2022

Great Experience Transitioning From Paper To Digital Expense Management

Overall, we have saved a tremendous amount of time, frustration and money

Pros

Easy to use, no cost and we earn rewards, integration with Sage Intacct

Cons

There are bugs from time to time that just seem to go away

Nexonia Expenses